Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sovereignty
Topic Author

Mexicana Ticket Counters At ORD

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:15 pm

After years of reading through the forums, gaining perspective from the aviation community, I now get to post a question on the forums.

And in typical fashion, I have checked the forums about this question but got nothing. If this a duplicate to something similar, please delete this post.

Anyways while driving through O'Hare, something in T5 caught my eye; next to the Aer Lingus ticket counters there were the Mexicana ticket counters in their old color scheme (Before the new one). My question is why hasn't it been taken down? The airline has been down for the past 3 years, and nothing has indicated a revival except for those other investment firms that keep backing away.

Thoughts?

BlueLine

RE: Mexicana Ticket Counters At ORD

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:56 pm

I believe that because Mexicana is still a legal entity under the Mexican bankruptcy laws, that's why the counter is still there. It is also why the MX tail was still in OneWorld advertising after operations were ceased.

Also, there is a MX maintenance truck still sitting around gate M17 or M18 at ORD.

ghost77

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:32 pm

All around MX is a big mystery.

MX MRO in MEX is working again at full capacity and hiring people.

Check this videos out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwIIV9CH3hk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSp82m7E87w

It would be nice if the government could let MX get back with those 8 old Airbus 320 they have ready at any moment to return and let free competition rule. Many people is sick and tired of Y4 - Volaris treatment and many people would love to fly with Mexicana again. Thing is they can't start-up as the airline needs to pay 300M usd to their employee's. So maybe it isn't easy.

g77

sovereignty
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Quoting BlueLine (Reply 1):

I believe that because Mexicana is still a legal entity under the Mexican bankruptcy laws

That seems to make the most sense.

Quoting ghost77 (Reply 2):
It would be nice if the government could let MX get back with those 8 old Airbus 320 they have ready at any moment to return and let free competition rule

Couldn't the Mexican government do a 180 degree turn on their privatization decision and buy a majority stake on MX. Then again, is it worth reviving the airline with 8 A320's at the expense of the Mexican government.

TheRedBaron

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Quoting sovereignty (Reply 3):

It won't happen, as the government has its hands filled with dirt by letting the MX owners get away with crime, by using connection in...guess.... the government...

Mexicana will never fly again. (I would love to fly again, and if they come back Ill buy a ticket just to support them but, it won't happen)

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

jcwr56

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:07 am

I believe that because Mexicana is still a legal entity under the Mexican bankruptcy laws, that's why the counter is still there.

That's correct, At ORD any airline that has signatory status (meaning they've signed a use and lease agreement to 2018) is required to have any names still listed/posted on airport property regardless if they're flying or not.

Only if they break the lease or go out of business do they get taken down.

jayunited

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:27 am

I believe that because Mexicana is still a legal entity under the Mexican bankruptcy laws, that's why the counter is still there. It is also why the MX tail was still in OneWorld advertising after operations were ceased.

Also, there is a MX maintenance truck still sitting around gate M17 or M18 at ORD.

Absolutely correct they still have a ticket office at T5 and on the ramp level where their trucks are parked they still have their MX offices with all their gear and things locked inside. So nothing at ORD has changed even though MX has ceased operations.

e38

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:09 am

just to add to the remnants of Mexicana, I was at LAX several months ago, and as I recall, on the roadway that leads around the terminals, Mexicana was still listed as one of the airlines on the blue and white sign as you approach TBIT.

e38

AR385

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:34 am

I believe that because Mexicana is still a legal entity under the Mexican bankruptcy laws, that's why the counter is still there.

And there´s your answer.

MX MRO in MEX is working again at full capacity and hiring people.

And making loads of money. I thought AM was in talks to buy them?

Many people is sick and tired of Y4 - Volaris treatment and many people would love to fly with Mexicana again.

They should try Interjet. They are great.

Couldn't the Mexican government do a 180 degree turn on their privatization decision and buy a majority stake on MX. Then again, is it worth reviving the airline with 8 A320's at the expense of the Mexican government.

I really would not like my taxes to be used towards reviving a private enterprise that went belly up because bad management and lunatic unions.

aaway

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 am

Quoting e38 (Reply 7):
just to add to the remnants of Mexicana, I was at LAX several months ago, and as I recall, on the roadway that leads around the terminals, Mexicana was still listed as one of the airlines on the blue and white sign as you approach TBIT.

But the ATO and Ramp ops spaces are now gone.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

LAXintl

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:38 am

LAWA maintenance yard at LAX has a couple Mexicana ramp vehicles including a maintenance lift truck. Cant do much with them since the BK process still continues...
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DesertAir

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:10 pm

In Mexico City, Mexicana still has all of their ticket counters. Once in while there appears some new investors that want to revive Mexicana, but in the end, no money is ever seen. I had a number of wonderful experiences on Mexicana. What seems to prevent investment is the huge debt to workers, airports, creditors....Interjet, Volaris, Viva and Aeromar have greatly expanded air service in Mexico which does not leave much room for Mexicana.

Tomassjc

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 11):

In Mexico City, Mexicana still has all of their ticket counters

Not to mention the several city ticket offices, including the one in the original headquaters at Juarez and Balderas.
The saddest thing for me to see, after having spent 20 years of my life working for MX, is the Mexicana name that is still across the top of Xola tower on approach to 05R at MEX.

I hope justice will prevail for the many thousands of employees in Mexico that are still awaiting back pay and their pensions. When MX got rid of their 600+ U.S. employees back in 1998, we were fortunate enough to get a nice chunk of change, and many of us are now old enough to collect our pensions. RIP Mexicana.

Tomas SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

copter808

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:07 pm

When I was working at T-5, one of the most entertaining activities was watching so many of the MX passengers repacking bags to make the weight limits. I kept thinking how I could retire and live well if only I had the cardboard box concession!

elbandgeek

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 5):
That's correct, At ORD any airline that has signatory status (meaning they've signed a use and lease agreement to 2018) is required to have any names still listed/posted on airport property regardless if they're flying or not.

Only if they break the lease or go out of business do they get taken down.

Is this something mandated by the city? There is similarly an empty CO ticket counter at MDW that I've been wondering why they never took the signage down. Maybe UA still has some sort of lease agreement that they decided wasn't worth breaking (or just left the option of coming back open).

ghost77

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:48 am

The mexican government was part of this by letting the owners go. Owner Gastón Azcárraga should be in jail now. They did a lot of nasty things inside. All behind MX is a big mystery. Recently I know that Alma was in fact created by Carlos Peralta, he invested 70M USD and sold de company to Mexicana in 150M. Then MX created MX Link. They sold the concession and AOC. Concession sometimes takes years to get it. So Mexicana Group instead of sending everything to Click just like Aeromexico is doing with Aerolitoral (AM Connect) they wanted to boost Link and transfer Airbus aircraft and later dissappear Mexicana. All new pilots and people was going for Link and that's how G Mexicana was going to survive with lower costs. So you have Alma which Carlos Peralta didn't cared for the workers nor aviation. He did a great business in only 4 years.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 8):
And making loads of money. I thought AM was in talks to buy them?

Well, it would be a good addition to Grupo Aeroméxico. But I've heard Aeroméxico, Interjet and Volaris interested. By now, who knows really. And they said it will stay private... but someone's gotta be the owner. I hope if at the end stays within employee's like Boing Pascual, I really hope one day all in effort relaunch MX and start from scratch.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 8):
They should try Interjet. They are great.

Indeed. AIJ is doing the things really well. It's the new Mexicana. They were also good employers but things have changed and contracts for new pilots are different.

We'll have tough competition ahead once more aircraft are delivered and more seats come to the market.

g77

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos