JoePatroni707
Topic Author

AA To Put Livery To Employee Vote

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Just got a heads up email that AA will put the new livery design out for an employee vote. The options will be between the newly designed AA fuselage with new tail, new fuselage with USAir tail, or the clAAsic AA livery.... Voting ends in early January.

kenanc

RE: AA To Put Livery To Employee Vote

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Quoting JoePatroni707 (Thread starter):
new fuselage with USAir tail

That would honestly not look good in my opinion. I like the fresh new look of the new livery, it really is growing on me. The classic AA livery would be a blast in the past but still what would they do to the Airbus? The grey color they use to match it really looks dated.

sunking737

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:01 pm

As a former HP/US employee, I would vote for keeping the current US Airways colors for the "New" American.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

AA737-823

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Is it me, or do those three options NOT include the present horror that is the "new AA" livery? Did they mean "the new fuselage with A new tail," or "the new fuselage with THE new tail"??
My gosh, I can only hope.
Go back to the classic AA livery, please. Or a reasonable adaptation thereof!
If they switch to the USAirways tail, it will take some massaging to make it look like it fits onto the American fuselage scheme.

CX Flyboy

Classic AA livery? Would they really take a step backwards? So keeping the current new scheme is not an option?

Iloveboeing

Why doesn't the traveling public (the ones who actually pay the bills) get to vote? Don't we get a say so?

apodino

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:08 pm

The Classic AA livery would be the cheapest option since a lot of the current planes would not have to be repainted, but that then presents the problem of how to deal with the Airbus fleet.

What I am for would the new fuselage coupled with the old AA tail. But of the three options above, I think the current AA scheme is the way to go. I don't like the thought of the US livery ending up at AA as it wouldn't look right at all.

seansasLCY

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:10 pm

I think this is a bad idea. The airline has already spent a lot rebranding. There are posters and adverts here in the UK showing the new scheme. To then change back will be a waste of money and ruin the work already put into showing the brand here.

RedTailDTW

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:11 pm

I will believe it when I see that email!

The new paint scheme has really grown on me since it initially came out. While I love the US Airways livery, it should not be combined with the new AA fuselage as that will look horrible.

If I had to choose, I would choose to either keep the now classic AA scheme alive or to create a new paint scheme that incorporates both airlines. However, while I absolutely loved the old AA livery, I would advise not bringing it back as that would send a message that it is the same old AA and in my opinion the airline needs a fresh new look.

Either way, as long as they keep the current US heritage paint schemes and hopefully create a few new ones I will be happy!

I do question this big waste of money over the paint scheme though...

Mason
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 pm

Hmm......this'll be interesting to watch. I would kind of like to see what the US tail would look like with the AA fuselage. Where are our resident graphic artists?  
Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 3):
Go back to the classic AA livery, please. Or a reasonable adaptation thereof!

There are so many great things they could do with the classic livery. Even putting all the markings of the old scheme but with the new fuselage wouldn't be terrible.

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 3):
If they switch to the USAirways tail, it will take some massaging to make it look like it fits onto the American fuselage

I wonder if they could take the nice blue that is on the new AA tail and remake the US tail with that on the new fuselage? That would look cool! 

Whatever happens, I'm glad to see AA giving their employees a voice in the branding. After all, employees make the business what it is  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

iFlyLOTs

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 7):
I think this is a bad idea. The airline has already spent a lot rebranding. There are posters and adverts here in the UK showing the new scheme.

There are advertisements everywhere showing the new scheme, talk about the possibility of throwing everyone off. If anything there should be a fourth option which would be keep the current (the new) branding but lose the tail.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

timpdx

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:20 pm

The US Air tail is one of the WORST out there in aviation. Looks like cheap clip art. Would rather they just go back to classic AA or the new AA and not use any of the US air.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

kgaiflyer

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Just got a heads up email that AA will put the new livery design out for an employee vote. The options will be between the newly designed AA fuselage with new tail, new fuselage with USAir tail, or the clAAsic AA livery.... Voting ends in early January.

Okay -- That seems fair.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joe Statz

DDR

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:26 pm

I vote for the new fuselage with the classic tail. That would look awesome. Maybe even liven up the AA on the tail with brighter shades of red and blue to match the fuselage.

skiaplg

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Quoting timpdx (Reply 11):

The US Air tail is one of the WORST out there in aviation. Looks like cheap clip art. Would rather they just go back to classic AA or the new AA and not use any of the US air.

The US Airways livery does not look very good, so I hope they don't use that. Definitely not the US tail on the American fuselage - it would just look ridiculous, with the American logo on the fuselage... I don't know why there isn't an option to keep the current American branding - they've spent loads of money on it and it's honestly not that bad. The new livery symbolizes the new American, with things like their new 777 product being integral to that. Changing the livery back would feel like a step back.

JBo

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:36 pm

What I don't see is an option for the current US livery with AA titles.

Either way, the new AA brand has grown on me. From a practical standpoint, it seems foolish to change it again, but from a branding standpoint, it's not a completely bad idea to refresh it.

I like the new AA logo, but I'm still not fond of the tail. I think they could do something different with that and make the branding work.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

frontierflyer

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:40 pm

I've always felt the classic livery was too iconic to change. I really don't like the new livery. I miss seeing the double A with the eagle on the Tail and the Wing tips. I say lets go back to the classic and save some money.

DeltaMD90

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Oh please change it. I've tried hard to like the new AA livery but I just can't. From a money/marketing standpoint it seems like a bad move but I personally would love to see it go. After that, WN should change their awful livery   

rwy04lga

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Quoting CX Flyboy (Reply 4):
Classic AA livery? Would they really take a step backwards?

Coca Cola realized their mistake and dropped 'New Coke', then opted for 'Coke Classic'.

If they go back to the former AA livery, no one will get the comment in 'Planes' about the 'nice paint job' at 26:40.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Miami

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 pm

How about this.. New fuselage (white), American title above the windows (red) like the old livery. Blue engines, and a BETTER American flag as the tail! Eh? Anyone? Nobody...??      

That would be AMERICAN.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

travelin man

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really like the new AA livery. I was at DFW last week, and it just looks so much better than the tired "classic" livery. I know people don't like change, but at the end of the day the change was needed.

And a big thumbs down to anything related with the US Airways livery. The tail is especially bad/boring.

DDR

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 17):
After that, WN should change their awful livery   

LOL I thought I was the only person who does not like WN livery. I thought the first one in puke green looked better  

chepos

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Yes, we emplouees are voting on the livery. As an employee I say stick with the new cs and call it a day.
Fly the Flag!!!!

burchfiel

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 pm

A few thoughts:

1: I thought part of the reason for the livery change was the fact that AA has ordered many planes with composite fuselages, which by their nature must be painted; hence, the unpainted livery is no longer an option. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

2: How I wish that an option like this was presented to UA/CO employees following the merger. Perhaps we would not have lost the tulip. (No offense CO fans.)

3: "Why doesn't the traveling public (the ones who actually pay the bills) get to vote? Don't we get a say so?"
No one has to look at the planes more than AA employees, so I suppose they are the ones to decide.

scbriml

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:56 pm

Just got a heads up email that AA will put the new livery design out for an employee vote.

Like others, I'll believe it when it happens.

Quoting CX Flyboy (Reply 4):
Classic AA livery? Would they really take a step backwards?

It would be a big step backwards. It already looks bad on 737s with all the different bits that are grey.

Quoting iloveboeing (Reply 5):

Why doesn't the traveling public (the ones who actually pay the bills) get to vote? Don't we get a say so?

Er, no.   

Quoting apodino (Reply 6):
but that then presents the problem of how to deal with the Airbus fleet

And the 787s.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

PA110

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Liveries are a C-suite decision. Putting it to a vote is idiotic.

I wasn't a big fan when it first arrived, but like most things in life, you get used to them. Livery is only one aspect of branding. AA have invested considerable time and money in their rebranding, which encompasses their online presence, airport facilities, advertising, etc... Tweaking the livery now would mean further expense to adapt the rest of the branding elements. It's a silly waste of money, to what end? Making the staff feel better? As a former airline employee, I don't give a shit what paint they put on the planes. I want to work for a company that treats me like a human being, pays me a fair wage, provides decent benefits and gives me opportunity to advance.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

seansasLCY

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:59 pm

AS just tweeted that they are letting staff decide. The two options are new scheme or new scheme with old AA tail.

brilondon

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:59 pm

I hope they vote to keep the current livery, I think it is fresh and new. The USair one is awful and any mix of the old and new would just be ridiculous.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

Braniff747SP

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:00 am

twitter.com/AmericanAir/status/412732381649326081

They just posted this on Twitter... Back to the old, please.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

817Dreamliiner

Well AA has put it up on their facebook page, along with this:

Quoting chepos (Reply 22):
Yes, we emplouees are voting on the livery. As an employee I say stick with the new cs and call it a day

Im with you, I think this is completely stupid and unnecessary...
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

scbriml

Quoting PA110 (Reply 25):
Putting it to a vote is idiotic.

I'd agree, but it seem that is indeed what's happening. However, only two choices - old AA or new AA.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ther-to-keep-the-new-aa-tail.html/

Quote:
Doug Parker, the new chief executive officer of American Airlines Group, told employees Monday that he’ll let them decide what the tail on AA jets should look like.

There will be two choices:

A. The new tail adopted last January by the old AA regime, or

B. The old tail that had been in use basically since 1968.

Wow!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

kamboi

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:02 am

Quoting DDR (Reply 13):

I'll vote for this. The current tail looks horrible otherwise the fuselage an d redesigned eagle looks great.

plateman

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:02 am

According to AA/US social media, these are the two options:

"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

scbriml

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:03 am

To clarify, the choice is only about the tail - the fuselage will stay the new grey/silver colour.

Personally, I think the new tail works with the fuselage.

Putnik

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:06 am

The new AA livery is rather impressive. The only drawback there is the grey generic "American" on the silver fuselage. I would like it in red... and it might appear better to use the old typeface, slightly refreshed.

But, the livery as a whole is interesting in pictures, stunning in person, stands out in the airports out there and it does represent something fresh, new and contemporary. "Fresh", "new" or "contemporary" are not adjectives I would used to describe US, old AA, DL or any of UA liveries. So go with the new AA.

Safe flying.
"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

PA110

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:07 am

Why not use the new logo on the tail? I know it's vaguely reminiscent of United's old stars & bars logo, but it can be easily adapted to most aircraft tail shapes.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

cageyjames

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:10 am

Quoting iloveboeing (Reply 5):

Seems like a team building exercise. Honestly I don't really care anymore. To me its the product inside that matters. The outside is more of an employee issue.

frontierflyer

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:14 am

Use the old AA and put the new eagle in between.

cmh235

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:14 am

Here is the letter to employees: https://wings.usairways.com/uswings/news/american_merger/arrivals/121613_Arrivals_livery_outlook.pdf

They will also keep the US Airways heritage liveries and will add a TWA one.

jetlanta

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:15 am

This is a joke, right? Surely they can't seriously be putting the future brand identity of a $40 Billion company in the hands of non-professionals and only give them two choices using one computer-generated image of each option.

If this is how this merger is going to go, good luck.

super80

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:18 am

I think the new AA just wants to say "Our employees vote for it" and just call it a day. They know real well that the old tail just wont work with the new brand. In my opinions, they should at least design a better tail that will work with the new branding.

I can see many employees will vote for the current (new flag tail): Most have already gotten used to it and its just human nature that requires time for employees to "like" the old tail with new branding.

IFlyTWA

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:18 am

Can't wait for the TWA livery. I wonder which one it will be....
"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

MSJYOP28Apilot

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:21 am

I voted for the old tail.

Tigerguy

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:24 am

I agree with those saying to leave the livery as is. It's grown a bit on me, but it still ain't what it could be. I no longer have an internal reaction when I see it, so I suppose that's good enough.   

But slapping the old AA on the tail? Not gonna work. If anything, it just introduces a new dimension of blandness. I'd even call this our version of Eurowhite. I dub it "Amerigray".
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

rising

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:26 am

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 39):

I agree. The old AA tail, mixed with the new lettering and "eagle" would be a big mixed message. At first, I thought this was a joke. It looks like it's not. Oh boy.
If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true.

CALTECH

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:29 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 24):
Like others, I'll believe it when it happens
This is a joke, right? Surely they can't seriously be putting the future brand identity of a $40 Billion company in the hands of non-professionals and only give them two choices using one computer-generated image of each option.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ther-to-keep-the-new-aa-tail.html/
You are here.

CO777DAL

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:32 am

I hope they go with the old tail. Nothing says American Airlines like the double AA.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

mtnwest1979

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:32 am

I'd like new American fuselage with the new tri colored logo on the front edge of the tail. New look with not the crap that adorns the tail now.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

Mir

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:37 am

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 29):
Well AA has put it up on their facebook page, along with this:

I'd like to see the old livery back, but the picture with the old tail and the new fuselage looks even worse than the new livery. You can't do half of one and half of the other, so if you're going to keep the new fuselage, you have to keep the new tail as well.

The choices make me wonder whether this is some sort of scheme to legitimize the new livery by offering something so hideous as an alternative that the employees have little choice but to vote for the new one.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

OB1504

Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:37 am

Quoting chepos (Reply 22):
Yes, we emplouees are voting on the livery. As an employee I say stick with the new cs and call it a day.

Agreed. Why change it a year after it was unveiled and after so much money has been invested in the branding? Granted, I'm not actually an employee, so my opinion doesn't count.

If this is how this merger is going to go, good luck.

The old tail is classic, but it doesn't go with the new livery at all. Besides, they just dropped the double-A from marketing and product names (Priority AAccess -> Priority Access, AAdvantage -> Advantage, etc.).

Quoting super80 (Reply 40):
I think the new AA just wants to say "Our employees vote for it" and just call it a day. They know real well that the old tail just wont work with the new brand. In my opinions, they should at least design a better tail that will work with the new branding.

I can see many employees will vote for the current (new flag tail): Most have already gotten used to it and its just human nature that requires time for employees to "like" the old tail with new branding.

I hope a publicity stunt is all it ends up being.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos