Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bigphilnyc
Topic Author

Aircraft Damage And Perimeter Breach At JFK

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Photo of a big gash on a Delta 737 and a nut hopping a fence at JFK...

http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/12/p...each-aircraft-damage/#.Urc9UvRDuuK (NYCAviation.com)

As if the weather and holiday congestion in the Northeast wasn't enough.
Phil Derner Jr.

luv2fly

RE: Aircraft Damage And Perimeter Breach At JFK

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:42 pm

That plane isn't going any where anytime soon.
You can cut the irony with a knife

mwhcvt

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:42 pm

On the plus side that looks like the damage was to a replaceable panel to my uneducated eye...obviously it's more than possible there is other un-seen damage
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

kanban

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:45 pm

I don't see any fuselage gash, just a damaged wing to body fairing.. pop a few fasteners, drop the damaged section, slip on a new one and paint to match.. no biggie.

srbmod

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:10 pm

That's definitely not going to buff out and someone with that contractor is probably going for a wizz quiz....

While it looks like it will be a simply panel replacement, they're not going to simply put a new panel on (assuming that's an item commonly kept in stock by Delta TechOps at JFK) and will warrant closer inspection before putting the plane back into service.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:30 pm

I can deal with the perimeter breach, but that driver hurt a Delta 737 and that, my friends, is unforgiveable!          
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Goldenshield

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Quoting kanban (Reply 3):
I don't see any fuselage gash, just a damaged wing to body fairing.. pop a few fasteners, drop the damaged section, slip on a new one and paint to match.. no biggie.

Assuming that it didn't cause any damage to the holes that the fasteners rest in.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

cf6ppe

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 4):
That's definitely not going to buff out

And other statements above...

But, it will _definately_ max out the MasterCard/Visa (or any other favorite brand CC ) of the perimeter breaching escapee..

It is always fun to walk up to the person that damages expensive equipment and ask for their credit card to offset the cost of repairing/replacing the damaged area/component/etc..

srbmod

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Quoting cf6ppe (Reply 7):
But, it will _definately_ max out the MasterCard/Visa (or any other favorite brand CC ) of the perimeter breaching escapee..

That person is unrelated to the damaged DL a/c.

Quote:
In addition, an emotionally disturbed man breached the airport perimeter on the east side of the airport near the Port Authority Police Department fire training facility. The man was quickly apprehended by police just before reaching runway 31 at taxiway E.

akelley728

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Quoting cf6ppe (Reply 7):

It is always fun to walk up to the person that damages expensive equipment and ask for their credit card to offset the cost of repairing/replacing the damaged area/component/etc..

Umm the two incidents are not related...

"In the morning, a large container used by laundry/cleaning company DGS struck a Delta 737 parked at Terminal 4′s gate B37. The strike left a sizable gash in the aircraft’s belly just rear of the wing, forcing the aircraft out of service.

In addition, an emotionally disturbed man breached the airport perimeter on the east side of the airport near the Port Authority Police Department fire training facility. The man was quickly apprehended by police just before reaching runway 31 at taxiway E."

scbriml

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:13 pm

Quoting bigphilnyc (Thread starter):
Photo of a big gash on a Delta 737

I don't see a 'gash'. All I see is a non-structural panel that's been knocked off. All in all, a pretty simple repair.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

MCOflyer

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 10):

I don't see a 'gash'. All I see is a non-structural panel that's been knocked off. All in all, a pretty simple repair.

We do not know how badly the a/c is damaged. Can anyone confirm how bad the damage is???

KH
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:31 am

Does anybody know the registration of the aircraft involved? I checked the registrations from Airfleets and compared them against flightaware and all -700s, -800s, and -900s appear to be operating as normal and the only ones that were on the ground at JFK this morning for an extended period of time were

N307DQ, which arrived from SAT at 12:14pm into B20, and left for BOG at 5:20pm from B20 (incident was at B37).
N303DQ, which arrived last night and went to B39 and left this morning at 9:06AM for AUA out of B24
N309DE, which arrived at 5:00AM from BOG into B41 and left at 8:54AM for SXM from B41.

But, we can tell it was an -800 involved by the two overwing exits.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

strfyr51

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:47 am

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 1):
That plane isn't going any where anytime soon.

That's a bolt on fairing panel. the fuselage is the green area underneath. they'll have to drill up the new panel and install it.

Sinlock

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:47 am

Quoting kanban (Reply 3):

A wing body fairing is not a part Delta or any other airline would typically have in stock at a MX depot. They might be able pull a temp replacement from a aircraft in heavy maintance, but Boeing would have have a part like that ready for rapid AOG shipment. Here at FLL Embraer has an AOG depot and we get some pretty unexpected items for shipment. Flaps, cowls, even got a rudder once.

cf6ppe

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:53 am

Ref: Reply(s) 8 and 9 above.

Thanks both of you for straightening me out.
I must have had a momentary memory disconnection not connecting the collision of the container and the aircraft.

But when rereading the article, I was reminded when I got the call after a freight container was blown against the side of a wing mounted engine tailpipe at a South American station. That damage to the side of the tailpipe also damaged the tailpipe internal acoustic liner and the tailpipe assembly had to be replaced with a loaner assembly. That damage also would not buff out. I never did get the responsible persons M.C. or Visa number.

a36001

Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:03 am

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 5):

hahahaha Love it....Merry Christmas  

trnswrld

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Wtf was a laundry truck doing driving that close between the wing and fuselage of an aircraft?!?!? Like others have said good thing it appears the damage may have been just to that fairing panel.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos