Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tsra

RE: Secondary Airports In US

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:58 am

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 23):

The best secondary airport for Kansas City would be the Downtown Airport. The airport is, as the name suggests, in Downtown Kansas City and is basically 20 minutes from anywhere in the city since it is next to all major highways and interstates. Plus, I think it is a Part 139 airport where IXD is not.

AirStein3
Topic Author

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:19 am

Quoting airplanedaj (Reply 47):

I'm looking at Bedford Field in the Boston area

Quoting bohica (Reply 48):

Thanks mate, helped a lot  Smile

Quoting TPAfan (Reply 49):

I chose Lakeland because it is closer to Disney than Sanford. I'm a low-cost airline who's focus is to move travelers on vacation. I wouldn't advertise the destination as simply "Lakeland", I would advertise it as "Orlando-Lakeland". I wouldn't be looking to attract people from Lakeland, I would be looking to attract people from Orlando and to go to Orlando. Also, when I went to Orlando, we weren't looking to go to beaches, so I don't think that Melbourne would be a great option.

[Edited 2013-12-26 03:28:45 by SA7700]

L0VE2FLY

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:42 am

The future Juan Trippe just joined our community! Welcome to airliners.net.

Looking at your profile, I must say that you're one of the most ambitious 13~15 y/o a.nutters out there! 

vikkyvik

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:48 am

Quoting AirStein3 (Reply 52):
I'm looking at Bedford Field in the Boston area

That would be Hanscom Field (BED/KBED).

Much as I would love real airline service to BED (as I travel to the area often and am currently sitting about 3 miles from the airport), all I can say is good luck with that.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cornutt

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:57 am

FTY for Atlanta? Still has some terminal facilities left from the old days, I think. Approach and departure is tricky because of being under ATL's Class B. However, if you're wanting to play in Delta's backyard, a better strategy might be to go after some of the secondary destinations where Delta dominates and gets away with high fares, places like TYS, HSV, BHM, and JAN.

For Miami, maybe FXE... it's a bit of a drive, though, and I don't think there are any existing terminal facilities.

tyler81190

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:00 am

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 26):
Its not JCI. It's IXD. And no, there is no terminal there. Nor do I think service would work there.
Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 32):
The only thing that remotely even reflects at terminal at IXD these days is one of the FBO's, which would be much too small to handle anything other than maybe a B1900. Simply put, the money it would take to build the place up would be stupid.

IXD does (kind of) have a terminal. It is next to Signature Flight support. Quite a beautiful building on the inside, and very old. There would be no option to use it as a current terminal, as there is no way to secure it. (Currently holds offices)

The closest thing to a terminal there would be Signature.

As far as ground support, the airport can service just about any kind of narrow body aircraft, and does get Air Force One as an occasional visitor.

In terms of passenger traffic, I do not see scheduled service working out of this airport. The infrastructure in the area is not the best, hardly any parking, and no good highway access. It is similarly located quite a ways from the city just like MCI.

727LOVER

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:02 am

LAL is way closer to Disney than SFB
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

TWA772LR

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:04 am

Millington instead of MEM
EFD or DWH instead of IAH or HOU
GRY or RFD instead of ORD or MDW
Provo instead of SLC
Does anyone know if a 737 and/or A320 can land at GKY (Arlington, TX)? That can be an alternative to DFW and DAL. What is being used of the old NAS Dallas? That can also be an alternative.

[Edited 2013-12-25 19:05:29]
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

rfields5421

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:26 am

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 35):
For Houston: HOU, EFD, BPT, AUS, SAT, DFW

CLL might be a good option for Houston

Quoting deltaSEAalsaka (Reply 45):
It would be the same issue that iFlyLOTs pointed out with NGF.

Barbers Point is no more - It is Kalaeloa now. The Coast Guard has a small presence there. Anyway - both NGF and JRF are too close to Honolulu to meet the Ryanair model - OGG would be more like their model.

Quoting homer71 (Reply 16):
For Dallas, are you willing to go to Ft Worth (FTW)?

FTW is restricted from commercial scheduled aviation by the law which ended the Wright agreement. That would also remove the old NAS Dallas and Carswell/JRB NAS Fort Worth from consideration.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 60):
Does anyone know if a 737 and/or A320 can land at GKY (Arlington, TX)? That can be an alternative to DFW and DAL. What is being used of the old NAS Dallas? That can also be an alternative.

There was a B757 based there when Tom Hicks - Hicks Sports Group owned the Texas Rangers.

I don't know if Tarrant and Dallas county airports not in the cities of Fort Worth and Dallas are also restricted.

The two primary options for additional commercial aviation in the DFW area would be DTO and TKI. I don't know if the DTO ownership is interested - but the TKI ownership has shown interest in adding commercial aviation in the past.
Not all who wander are lost.

ozark1

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:32 am

Quoting AirStein3 (Reply 5):
Are airlines in America allowed to advertise Tijuana as San Diego, although its in another country? @ERJ170

Ciudad Juarez -CJU would be the same situation for ELP. I see Volaris flies from there to LAX

allegiantflyer

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:38 am

Quoting AirStein3 (Reply 20):
[quote=AllegiantFlyer,reply=18]
We should talk sometime, your bio says 13-15 years old, idk if that is true, but I am as well so that could work

Yeah totally! i just sent you a message  

ha763

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:45 am

Quoting deltaSEAalsaka (Reply 45):

Quoting JHwk (Reply 43):
Honolulu has JRF at Barbers Point.

It would be the same issue that iFlyLOTs pointed out with NGF.

Kalaeloa (JRF) is owned and operated by the State of Hawaii's DOT and is used by airlines as an alternate for HNL. Barbers Point NAS was closed down in the 1990's. The problem with JRF is that there are no commercial passenger facilities and no plans to build any facilities. I wouldn't even consider starting commercial operations at JRF unless you are going to be operating air tours or air taxi/commuter type operations where you don't need passenger screening.

flymia

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 am

I was about to say something about going on Anet to seriously consider to start an airline is big problem, and I would not give business advice for free. I then saw your profile 

Welcom to Anet!

As for the Miami area I think FLL is the one. NK and G4 use it. PBI is an option but doubt it would be cheaper than FLL and FLL is centrally locate for South Florida.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

burchfiel

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:10 am

Will you give discount tickets to Airliners.net members?   

Q

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:18 am

DTW is close to FNT.

CLE used to close to BKL Burke Lakefront. Midway Airlines DC-9.

CAK is close to YNG.

STL is close to BLV.

DEN is close to FNL.

SLC is close to OGD.

YVR is close to YXX.

I can think of that's all for now.

Q

BMI727

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:30 am

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 1):
There's Spirit of St. Louis

They lack a terminal and a runway that can handle heavy jets regularly. The relatively well off residents of the area might have a problem (although the flight paths don't typically cross residential areas) and the airport is in an area ripe to flood (again).
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

mtnwest1979

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:33 am

Quoting AirStein3 (Reply 40):
I am not worried about the terminal size at LAL because I would like to set up a base there, and I would be willing to help build a terminal there. It also intrigues me due to its proximity to Disney Land.

Well it is over 2,000 miles away.... DAB is a very dead airport, and LAL had SkyKing (?) operate a base out of there for a short period, with 737s.

Quoting ha763 (Reply 64):
Kalaeloa (JRF) is owned and operated by the State of Hawaii's DOT and is used by airlines as an alternate for HNL. Barbers Point NAS was closed down in the 1990's. The problem with JRF is that there are no commercial passenger facilities and no plans to build any facilities. I wouldn't even consider starting commercial operations at JRF unless you are going to be operating air tours or air taxi/commuter type operations where you don't need passenger screening.

Mokulele is going to/thinking of starting flights from there to OGG I read somewhere about a month ago or so. Don't know how far along that plan is.

You could try Salisbury,MD for BWI/DC area perhaps. Kind of out of the way.

San Bernardino SBD for LA Basin
Beaumont BPT for SE Texas

Seems many locales you ask about (Milwaukee, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Charlotte,etc) are places that really are not in need of someone flying into a small secondary field IMO. Fly where the people are to where they want to go. I don't know many folks that would exchange a known carrier at a 'recognized' airport than an upstart from St Joseph,MO to Apple Valley,CA.

But by the time comes that this may come to any fruition, times will certainly be different.

I would throw in Stockton,CA. Quite a few locals, close to SF Bay area and Sac Metro area. Nice under used airport.
Suggest Rome,GA for ATL area. Close but far lol.

[Edited 2013-12-25 23:37:40]
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

L0VE2FLY

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:52 am

Quoting AirStein3 (Thread starter):
San Diego: I have Carlsbad, but it has short runways

Do you have a couple of E-170s too?!   

Quoting flymia (Reply 65):
I was about to say something about going on Anet to seriously consider to start an airline is big problem, and I would not give business advice for free. I then saw your profile

Big problem? I don't think so, just another armchair CEO seeking the advice of armchair experts!    

ha763

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:29 am

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 69):
Mokulele is going to/thinking of starting flights from there to OGG I read somewhere about a month ago or so. Don't know how far along that plan is.

Mokulele is a Part 135 commuter carrier with 9 seat Cessna Grand Caravans, so they fit the type of operation I mentioned in my post.

AirbusGeek

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:22 am

For CLT: Concord Regional Airport, Monroe Executive Airport and Rock Hill Airport
PIEDMONT- A MODEL OF HOW GOOD AN AIRLINE CAN BE

rfields5421

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:06 am

Quoting ha763 (Reply 64):
The problem with JRF is that there are no commercial passenger facilities and no plans to build any facilities.

Small airport - no commercial facilities - seems to fit the Ryanair business plan perfectly. They convince city leaders, airport authorities that adding a minimal passenger facility, a few busses to get passengers form the plane to the warehouse (sorry - terminal) - and the airport will reap big bucks from all the traffic with three or four flights per week. Though Ryanair wants a subsidy to provide the service to the airport.

But a Ryanair type operation would never fly to Hawaii anyway, so it's just mindless fun to plan.

greenair727

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Quote:
CAK is close to YNG.

That would the be secondary to the secondary. BKL would be the preferred secondary for CLE.

skywaymanaz

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Quoting tsra (Reply 50):
The best secondary airport for Kansas City would be the Downtown Airport.

Technically true in theory but the city aviation dept. runs both MCI and MKC. They are not required to and likely would not be interested in accomodating a scheduled airline at MKC.

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 55):
It is similarly located quite a ways from the city just like MCI.

Yes JCI/IXD is out there but it's in the part of the metro area that is growing. Also don't misunderstand my comments on here as me saying I don't understand why JCI has no service today. There are a lot of darn good reasons why the county couldn't get Piedmont or anyone else interested 30 years ago. The whole thread is where there are oppurtunities and JCI is definately an oppurtunity. That doesn't mean it is practical, although the Allegiant model is better suited to it.

[Edited 2013-12-26 07:19:09]

FWAERJ

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:20 pm

For Indianapolis, I'd suggest LAF or HUF over (sky-high fees) IND.

For Detroit, I would suggest (significantly underutilized) TOL in addition to the aforementioned FNT.

For Evansville, Indiana, do what G4 does and fly from OWB instead of EVV.

BTW, GYY would draw people from SBN in addition to Chicago.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

rfields5421

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 73):
Yes JCI/IXD is out there but it's in the part of the metro area that is growing. Also don't misunderstand my comments on here as me saying I don't understand why JCI has no service today. There are a lot of darn good reasons why the county couldn't get Piedmont or anyone else interested 30 years ago. The whole thread is where there are oppurtunities and JCI is definately an oppurtunity. That doesn't mean it is practical, although the Allegiant model is better suited to it.

The city which I think would pursue a carrier in the Ryanair model to advertise its airport as a "Kansas City" destination if Topeka and Forbes Field - FOE.

At about 60 miles from MCI is a distance Ryanair has shown will work.

It is a very nice sized airport and has an empty small terminal. And Topeka really hates being a state capitol with no air service.

I understand ExpressJet is supposed to start UA Express service to ORD x 2 daily soon, and Allegiant had service a few years ago - I'm sure MTAA would bend over backwards to get another carrier into the airport.

intermodal64

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Don't forget New Orleans Lakefront Airport. It's longest runway is about like Midway's runways. I vaguely recall Southwest expressing interest in moving its MSY ops to NEW back in the late '70s.

skywaymanaz

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 75):
Topeka really hates being a state capitol with no air service.

Airline service was moved over from Phillip Billard Airport (TOP) around 1975 when Forbes AFB was closed. I remember the old terminal at FOE looked like it was a converted Air Force building. They built the proverbial shiny new terminal in the early 80's despite concerns over the costs believing the airlines would not abandon the state capitol. Frontier and United both pulled out around the time the new terminal opened. I'm not sure of the dates on TWExpress service but they were the only carrier for quite a while there. Allegiant currently serves MHK, perhaps they feel that better serves Topeka for now.

Quoting tsra (Reply 50):
The best secondary airport for Kansas City would be the Downtown Airport.

Btw another problem with airlines coming back to MKC that I forgot about was the "Kai Tak approach". I got to watch Air Force Two last summer shoot the ILS to runway 3 and sidestep to runway 1. Not a big deal for a small plane or bizjet but probably some pucker factor with heavy iron. In this post 9/11 world office workers downtown would probably be uncomfortable over that becomming normal procedure again. I have some nostalgia for the days of the 707's and 727's there but it would routinely make the list of most dangerous airports today if the big birds came back.

srbmod

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Quoting cornutt (Reply 57):
FTY for Atlanta? Still has some terminal facilities left from the old days, I think. Approach and departure is tricky because of being under ATL's Class B. However, if you're wanting to play in Delta's backyard, a better strategy might be to go after some of the secondary destinations where Delta dominates and gets away with high fares, places like TYS, HSV, BHM, and JAN.

FTY has never been an airport with commercial service and attempts in the past to start service there were blocked. When K-C Aviation decided to go into the airline business as Midwest Express, their early plans were to fly into FTY, as they had been serving FTY with their employee shuttles. There is a picture of a Midwest Express DC-9 at FTY, but they never operated commercially out of there and was likely a Kimberly-Clark employee shuttle flight. There was an start up called Frontier Horizon (later renamed Skybus) that also proposed service and got turned down. Even WN made overtures and was willing to spend the money for upgrades to the airport and got turned down.

AirStein3
Topic Author

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 am

Thank you everyone for your contributions  

BOStonsox

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:54 am

Welcome to a.net!   

If you are going for an ULCC, then it isn't the secondary airports you are necessarily looking for, it's the tertiary airports! Here in Boston, BOS is the primary airport, PVD and MHT are the secondary airports, and ORH, PSM, BED, and to a lesser extent CEF (90 minutes from Downtown Boston) are the tertiary airports.
2013 World Series Champions!

kgaiflyer

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:15 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 2):
Quoting AirStein3 (Thread starter):Washington DC: I have Hagerstown but It's a little far

Baltimore -BWI

ILG, MDT, RIC, SBY, LNS

rickabone

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:47 am

Quoting AirStein3 (Thread starter):
Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering starting an airline in the future, that very much resembles Ryanair's business model. I was wondering if you guys are aware of any other secondary airports for the following cities....

Las Vegas: I have Laughlin, but it's also a little far

If you were starting a Ryanair style airline, you wouldn't worry about the airport being 'a little far' from the city it's supposed to serve just so long as you can rename that airport with the service city's name. A la Frankfurt Hahn.

tsra

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 76):
Btw another problem with airlines coming back to MKC that I forgot about was the "Kai Tak approach". I got to watch Air Force Two last summer shoot the ILS to runway 3 and sidestep to runway 1. Not a big deal for a small plane or bizjet but probably some pucker factor with heavy iron. In this post 9/11 world office workers downtown would probably be uncomfortable over that becomming normal procedure again. I have some nostalgia for the days of the 707's and 727's there but it would routinely make the list of most dangerous airports today if the big birds came back.

I live in a condo that overlooks the airport and the north approaches and have to say the circle to land from runway 3 to runway 1 is not as dramatic as described. I believe I have heard that the airport sees between 180-200 "heavy metal" aircraft a year due to sports charters and such. That number also does not include the many Air Force, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard aircraft. From my vantage point, I have seen 737s, A320s, MD80s, 757s/767s, C-130s, and C-17s.
I know this is a hypothetical case, but IMHO, if the Kansas City Aviation Department was business savvy, they would allow such an operation Downtown to keep other local airports from taking the revenue. IXD is way to far away from the city, especially the east parts of the Metro, to be of any viable use.

[Edited 2013-12-27 06:40:31]

knope2001

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:27 pm

This is a fun, interesting project but if you want to up the plausibility look for reasons why an alternate airport would offer an advantage. Here are potential advantages of an alternate airportl

(a) Alternate airport is significantly closer to large numbers of people than the conventional airport, especially well-off population with the propensity to travel. This works best in areas where traffic is especially bad.

A good example of this is Flint's success as a low-fare alternate for suburban Detroit as opposed to Toledo. DTW is on the south/southwest side of metro Detroit, the same direction as Toledo, and that's not where the wealthier suburbs are. Metro Detroit has a couple million people in Oakland and Macomb counties on the north side of town which are higher income and about as close or closer to Flint than Detroit Metro.

(b) Conventional airport is especially difficult / hassle prone to navigate and the alternate is significantly easier.

If the conventional airport is relative uncrowded and easy to navigate, that makes it more difficult to sell an alternate. Be careful to not flatly assume the larger airport is always going to be a hassle and the smaller airport a breeze. Big airports can be lousy in terms of crowding beyond capacity, having to take shuttles and trains to cover longer distances between parking, check in, security and gate, longer security waits, etc. But small airports don't always have the infrastructure big ones do -- poor road access, tiny terminals, the inability to screen 150 people in a reasonable timeframe, etc.

(c) Conventional airport has high fares.

Fares are critical to success in this segment of the market, and it helps if they are high at the conventional airport. There is always, always danger the airlines at the conventional airport will match your fares, especially if they feel threatened. But if you're small enough to not put a big dent in their business it may not be a problem. If you can offer $59 one-way fares from Rockford to Orlando three times per week, United, American and Spirit probably won't go nuclear against you on their ORD-MCO nonstops. If you fly three times per day from Cleveland Burke to Orlando for $59, you can expect United to match you dollar for dollar.

(d) Conventional airport has notoriously-high costs and fees

This can help you with a structural cost advantage over competitors and help you keep fares down . I'm not aware of a complete, comprehensive list of airport per-passenger costs (I'd love to see one!) but if you do a web search for specific airports you might find something if they are notably high or low. Sometimes new terminals -- like IND and SMF -- cause per-passenger costs to be high. And at airports with low per-passenger costs such as MEM, that makes it a notch more difficult to press a fare advantage when the competition at the conventional airport has cheap costs.

Not all of these necessarily have to be in place, but the more factors in place (especially if they are strong ones) the better chances an alternate will have success. Have fun!

knope2001

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Quoting tsra (Reply 82):
IXD is way to far away from the city, especially the east parts of the Metro, to be of any viable use.

With all the money and growth down in Johnson County KS IXD looks good on paper, but in my opinion it feels really far out there even from much of JoCo. My inlaws live among the miles of relatively new and affluent sprawl in Overland Park and the couple of times I've driven to that airport it feels like I'm well on the way to Wichita. KCI is a bit of a hike for Johnson County KS but not prohibitively long. From the Sprint campus on 119th street IXD is 25 minutes and KCI is 38 minutes per Google maps -- just not enough of a difference to be overwhelming.

Now if you're looking to target the money in Johnson County KS with cheap public charter flights to Phoenix, sure IXD is a better choice than (for example) expecting them to fly out of Topeka or St Joe. But on its own if you're looking to offer a full-fledged alternative to KCI in the KC metro area, IXD is awfully far out for the huge bulk of the total metro population and the location factor won't be an advantage.

[Edited 2013-12-27 07:55:43]

skywaymanaz

Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Just now read that United via Express Jet is returning to Topeka the first week of January. Twice a day FOE-ORD on 50 seat ERJ's.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/T...or-Uniteds-Arrival--236271531.html

N776AU

Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 27):
I'd argue that unless you lived off I-75N MCN is going to be closer for almost everybody in the metro Atlanta area. Traffic South of the city is far less hectic that that to the North.
Quoting bohica (Reply 47):
It would be smart for any new airline not to play in Delta's back yard, unless you like feeding yourself to the lions.

Or if the Paulding County thing works out. I know as someone who lives in Gwinnett I would be all for seeing LZU get service, but I know they've never let that happen before.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

CargoIT

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:04 pm

GEU could work for Phoenix

Viscount724

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Quoting rickabone (Reply 81):
If you were starting a Ryanair style airline, you wouldn't worry about the airport being 'a little far' from the city it's supposed to serve just so long as you can rename that airport with the service city's name. A la Frankfurt Hahn.

One difference is that in Europe, the "remote" airports served by Ryanair and other LCCs usually have at least some type of public transportation (train or bus) to/from the sometimes fairly distant city it purports to serve. That's much less likely in the U.S.

YXwatcherMKE

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Quoting indywa (Reply 9):
I consider MKE to be a secondary airport to ORD/MDW... but if you want a secondary of MKE, I can really only think of MSN as the closes
Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 24):
Milwaukee is probably Madison, though Waukesha might work also, if they we're willing to build the facilities.

As indwa pointed out MKE considers itself the secondary airport ORD plus the fact that they have several open gates at MKE currently due to the pull out of F9. MSN is to far away for the most of the MKE O&D market to travel to MSN. I would only say that the very far western Milwaukee suburbs would make the trip to MSN. As to the use of Waukesha County Airport as a secondary location to MKE that would be iffy at best. The primary is a 5850'x100' runway. I have seen the old Midwest connect E170 and E90's doing practice T&L's there but I doubt anything bigger would want to try land there. Plus the fact they have a small GA Terminal that would need to be built out to operate commercial Flights. I know this because when I was an active Firefighter the airport was in my response zone.

Quoting point2point (Reply 28):
Anyways, if the Denver area is in the cards, then maybe FNL would be a likely alternative? They did have G4 flights to AZA and LAS, but for some reason G4 pulled out, even with good loads. And since G4 is some 50 miles north of DEN, and the whole north of the Front Range could be served from there, including Boulder, Longmont, ((and that whole north suburban Boulder area) Fort Collins, Greeley, and even up to Cheyenne and Laramie WY.

My Son lives in fort Collins and we were out there this year just after G4 pulled out. He said that everyone was very surprised that G4 had pulled out of FNL. According to the news reportsG4 gave just 30 day notice to the airport and customers of their leaving FNL and not saying much as to why they were leaving. The airport manager said he was in shock when G4 informed him of there plans because the LF's were in the high 80's according to his statement. The airport was planning an expansion of the airports terminal to double the size, now those plans are dead from what I read in the Fort newspaper.
I miss the 60's & 70's when you felt like a guest on the plane not cattle like today

skywaymanaz

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Quoting CargoIT (Reply 87):
GEU could work for Phoenix

Possibly but AZA probably has the ULCC market right now. I vaguely recall Scottsdale expressing interest in the 90's for SoCal and Laughlin routes but I think it hit a roadblock with NIMBY's. Goodyear and Deer Valley are run by city of Phoenix. They probably wouldn't be interested in Sky Harbor competition even though GYR would need less work than GEU and is in the same general area.

Btw what is our standard on using IATA v FAA airport codes? SDL is the FAA code for Scottsdale but I believe it has SCF for IATA. There doesn't seem to be any resistance to accepting AZA over IWA but there is resistance above to JCI over IXD. I guess if it has service use IATA if it doesn't use FAA. I'm fine with that standard if it would create less confusion.

Kempa

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Your best option for a secondary airport serving Washington, DC and Baltimore would be Frederick, MD.

You would be building terminals anyway. FDK has a 5219 ft runway with space to extend. Frederick is less than one hour from Washington and Baltimore if there is no traffic (rare). The airport is right off I-70 and very close to I-270.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos