Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flightsimer
Topic Author

Textron Buys Beechcraft For 1.4 Billion Cash

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Surprised this was not reported here before, but then again I just found out about it as well, but Textron bought Beechcraft on Friday for 1.4 Bil in cash.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...t-company-buys-beechcraft/4214743/
Commercial / Airline Pilot

Type-Rated

RE: Textron Buys Beechcraft For 1.4 Billion Cash

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Hmmmm.. Textron already owns Cessna, maybe they want to take a chunk of the GA industry?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

rwy04lga

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:49 am

That must've been one helluva suitcase holding all that cash! Imagine the time it took to count it all.
160,000 bundles of C notes.

Of course, I know it didn't really go down like that.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

ADent

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:58 am

Well Beechcraft is now pretty much a turboprop company (ie the KingAir company), the winding down T6 contract, and a bit of piston business on the side - a good fit with Cessna once they clean up the piston business.

Textron also bought the Hawker support business and the rest of the Hawker jet business (4000 and Premier) that was up for sale recently.

KELPkid

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:57 am

Beech is no longer the #3 GA manufacturer. They have become a niche manufacturer (similar to Rolls Royce in cars). Cirrus and Diamond have long since surpassed them in GA plane deliveries... The King Air, however, is pretty much all to itself in its market   It's only real competition is the PC-12, which is single engined (and restricted by that on many missions by regulations). Too bad the Beech 1900D is out of production 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

BMI727

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:49 am

This merger makes a lot of sense for Cessna.

One aspect I think might be slipping through the cracks a little bit is that they bought themselves a fixed wing defense business too. Leveraging the Beechcraft experience and customers will only help sell whatever the Scorpion becomes.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

PlymSpotter

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:22 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 4):
Too bad the Beech 1900D is out of production

I would not be at all surprised to see the 1900D re-enter production in the next few years. RUAG's 228 and Viking's DHC6 address the bottom half of the market, but if you want to replace a Jetstream, Metroliner or an older Beech then they fall down on both the speed and lack of pressurisation.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

gordonsmall

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:44 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 4):
The King Air, however, is pretty much all to itself in its market   It's only real competition is the PC-12, which is single engined (and restricted by that on many missions by regulations).

The Piaggio P.180 (or 'Avanti') is still around and being produced, albeit only around a dozen or so each year.

It's a little smaller than a B200, but in terms of speed and fuel burn/economics it blows a King Air into the weeds.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

brunomelo

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:53 pm

Quoting gordonsmall (Reply 7):

The Piaggio is not only (a lot) faster than all King Air series... compered to the 200 they are by far more comfotable, and seats the same number of passengers.
Be safe guys!
Bruno.

m1m2

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:57 pm

I'm not a pilot, but from a maintenance standpoint, I'd rather see a King Air 200 than a P180 any day. When flown a comparable number of hours, the maintenance requirements on the P180 far outweigh the King Air.

Having said that, the P180 is a cool airplane and it does offer comfort and speed that the King Air can't match.

Anyone else here worked on the Piaggio?

alberchico

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:49 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 5):
One aspect I think might be slipping through the cracks a little bit is that they bought themselves a fixed wing defense business too. Leveraging the Beechcraft experience and customers will only help sell whatever the Scorpion becomes.

That brings up a good point. Won't the Scorpion be a direct competitor to the AT-6B ? Does it really make sense for Cessna to pursue both projects ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

CargoIT

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:48 pm

The Caravan has taken over much of the civil market that could be served by the King Air, 1900 or P.180. I wonder if they could put a PT 6 on the front of the king air frame. Like a bigger lightning.

gordonsmall

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Quoting CargoIT (Reply 11):
The Caravan has taken over much of the civil market that could be served by the King Air, 1900 or P.180.

I don't think that's remotely true, and certainly not anywhere in Europe where IFR flight is almost universally necessary to make turboporop operations viable (due to airspace/altitude restrictions) and since public transport IFR flights are not permitted on single-engine aircraft (turbine or otherwise) that makes the caravan a bit of a lame duck here.

There is a little VFR utility work undertaken by the Caravan in Europe, and the only public transport operators I know of are the infamous Loch Lomond Seaplanes and there is a small operator in France that uses them with wheeled gear (or did).

The King Air, P.180 and light jets (Phenom, Mustang, C525) are still the primary choices at that end of the market here in Europe.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

oflanigan

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:03 am

Wasn't there a plan for a single engine King Air to compete with the PC-12.

brunomelo

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:43 am

Quoting oflanigan (Reply 13):

Never heard of such plans. I personally dislike single engine airplanes, and avoid flying on them at all costs.
Be safe!
Bruno.

oflanigan

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:52 pm

www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/beechcraft-reborn

Believe it would be based on the Premier fuselage

AllegiantAir

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:24 pm

It was/is pegged as the "King Air 220" from what I've read about it.
Live to Fly.

YVRLTN

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:38 am

The Caravan has taken over much of the civil market that could be served by the King Air, 1900 or P.180

The 208 has eaten into the B90 market a little I suppose, and also the twin piston PA31 / C402 types long out of production, but there is no way any 208 can replace a 1900. That is a high speed, high power, long range 18/19 seater. In YVR for example, theres no way a van can replace the Beech at 8P operating to places like YXC and Trail.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
I would not be at all surprised to see the 1900D re-enter production in the next few years. RUAG's 228 and Viking's DHC6 address the bottom half of the market, but if you want to replace a Jetstream, Metroliner or an older Beech then they fall down on both the speed and lack of pressurisation.

I agree. The age old problem however is that the operators that now operate these types dont really have the cash to buy new, but the hand me downs are running out. A lot of the 1900's flew with the likes of YV on commuter routes, who of course now operate 50 seat jets. Again, using Canada as a example where a lot more of these fly commercially than Europe, even the likes of Georgian & CMA operating AC flights probably are not even flush enough to buy new metal to hand now their current mid 90's D's to the likes of 8P operating mid 80's C models.

Quoting type-rated (Reply 1):
Hmmmm.. Textron already owns Cessna, maybe they want to take a chunk of the GA industry?

And Bell too - thats a big chunk of the industry.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos