Homobohemicus
Topic Author

KE A380 ICN-PRG

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:22 am

It has been a rumor for quite some time now especially where Prague Airport was working on A380 gates and not long back received an important permit (technical) for A380 operations in the airport - to operate this type with Pax.

Prague airport welcomed the A380 2x but only as a special event. Lufthansa presented its plane with a nice touch and go. The second event was an emergency with Emitares' DXB-AMS and a passenger who passed away on board  

on March 14th Korean Air KE936 and code share with Czech airlines will be the first A380 flying into Prague as a scheduled flight. This will be for several times onwards in 2014 (not a permanent change of type that is currently served by 4x weekly OK A333 and 4x weekly KE A332/3).

It is said however that this is a testing bed so for PRG to get used to the A380 in real operation and a potential of an A380 route from 2015.

I realize that KE's bird are heavy on "premium seats" but I think any Prague spotter is just delighted to see such a type on operation to the capital. PRG is a narrow body airport with exception of KE, CSA's sole A333 and EK's daily B773ER

[Edited 2013-12-31 21:30:14]

hoons90

RE: KE A380 ICN-PRG

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:26 am

Good to see KE give PRG lots of love and attention. I remember back in 2004, when KE sent the 744 there for the first time, there was quite the fanfare!

I wonder if 106 premium class seats is a bit of an overkill though, anything outside of FRA or maybe CDG has usually been rather leisure oriented for KE.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

MHG

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:48 am

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 1):
I wonder if 106 premium class seats is a bit of an overkill though, anything outside of FRA or maybe CDG has usually been rather leisure oriented for KE.

It´ll most probably depend on whether CSA is able to generate sufficient high yield feed from their shorthaul network.
Until KE´s involvement in CSA came into effect CSA was feeding other (Skyteam) carrier´s hubs in Europe.
Now this is changing up to a certain degree by feeding in reverse direction ...
Let´s wait and see if they can route sufficient longhaul premium-pax via PRG.

[Edited 2014-01-01 02:53:35]
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

cedarjet

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:33 pm

I cannot see it in a million years. You're talking about doubling capacity to a very small market - the A330-200 seats 222, the A380 is 405. KAL only fly the 777 to London which has infinitely more connectivity than - with respect - CSA can offer. There may be one or two a year for special events or whatever, and because of the close links between CSA and KAL combined with PRG's quiet airport, it may be a good diversion airfield, so it makes sense to have a few rehearsal flights and get a publicity bump in the process, but a daily A380 (or even a few a week mixed with A330s or 777s on other days) makes no sense and won't happen.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

varig md-11

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:37 pm

The A388 seems to be an overkill from ICN to PRG but 2 factors must be taken into considerations:

- Czech and Slovak republic are the subcontracting countries for Hyundai-Kia group in the EU + Samsung too. Therefore the need of a shuttle of C class seats with Korea.
LG has chosen Poland but Koreans could use PRG to connect to WAW.

-KE owns 44% of OK: don't they want to use PRG as a convenient mini hub to cater Korean needs in Czech & Slovak rep. + Poland?
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TX PY

Koosi

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 3):

I cannot see it in a million years. You're talking about doubling capacity to a very small market - the A330-200 seats 222, the A380 is 405. KAL only fly the 777 to London which has infinitely more connectivity than - with respect - CSA can offer. There may be one or two a year for special events or whatever, and because of the close links between CSA and KAL combined with PRG's quiet airport, it may be a good diversion airfield, so it makes sense to have a few rehearsal flights and get a publicity bump in the process, but a daily A380 (or even a few a week mixed with A330s or 777s on other days) makes no sense and won't happen.

KE has operated the 747 to PRG during the summer for years. Last summer there were 4 weekly KE 747s and 3 weekly OK 333s. The real issue is KE's extremely premium heavy config on the A380. The 748 could be a better fit but we'll have to see what the config looks like.

Homobohemicus
Topic Author

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Many of us as well do think that tbe A380 would be just too much. But in my opinion the b748 will be a bit more realistic.

Korean had its 747 on it's 4 weekly flights for a long time and before the 777s. Prague is already being groomed to be KE's gate to Euope.

London is a great airport but hardly a good point for Korean to use as a transit. Korean has very serious plans with OK and PRG.

Have to admit that EK upgrade to the daily 777 was mainly due to high demand for F class. As limited as PRG might sound for premium demand, KE's plans is for its Korean and Japanese clients flying to Europe via Prague increasing capacity.

The current 8x weekly by KE and OK with A333 is good but seems increase of capacity is planned.

For now... The A380 is planned for several times in 2014. No promotions connected though of any kind. To be honest even having a regular daily 773 and 4x weekly 747 was considered sci-fi a while ago but it seems that the market is there. Prague was always served direct with increasing capacity while European destinations like AMS and others were downgraded to A332s or linked with others European capitals. Ek is planning a second daily, CSA increasing 4x weekly to ICN, KE has its 4x weekly, Qatar entering the Prague race. All innall healthy but cautious growtg after several years of stagnation.

Surely very curious on the cooperation. Korean bought another 34% n giving it to Travel service airlines and creating a larger airline that would cater to KE's needs. Adding that a very large percentile of the pax is point to point between Prague and Seoul. So business and traffic is quite healthy.

But agree totally that it could be a tad too big for Prague having a such premium heavy plane. But I can see KE taking a lot of Frankfurt services and replaced by Prague. Started with KE European call Centre that is already in Prague, KE cancellation of code shares with LH. ICN Management services working with Prague airport to streamline services. ..etc...

But without too much analysis...its just great to see Korean livery A380 in Prague

loveofflying

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:13 am

Quoting Homobohemicus (Reply 6):
Have to admit that EK upgrade to the daily 777 was mainly due to high demand for F class.

F class to PRG?! I would have NEVER guessed...
Fly the DC10 before you can't!

Homobohemicus
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:34 am

They did mentioned that openly as when they started, the A330s had only C Class and there seemed an interest in F! Regardless I think they're doing quite well and PRG seems a favourite for them. They haven't officially admitted the 2nd daily yet but If I remember no one even knew Emirates is starting Prague and all of a sudden the route was active and the first flight introduced! They're a secretive bunch  ))))

OK is definitely re orienting itself with feed with KE and dropping any Mid East cooperation plans. Shame though in a way since the routing to South East Asia was great when they had the OK/EY flights through AUH. But now that QR is starting PRG, I guess there will be good competition and prices should be set accordingly.

There is further expectation (non official but confirmed) is OK's planned direct flights to Japan.

I think my excitement arises from the simple fact that the airlines is on a cautious way for growth and away from being annihilated by incompetent politicians who used the airline as a cash cow (even if anemic). Today Korean has 44+34% with the 34% sold to Travel Service. So technically CSA is now a private company...

[Edited 2014-01-01 19:34:46]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos