Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BW424
Topic Author

We're Still Hot! - Caribbean Aviation Thread 108

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:07 am

Greetings to all A.net patrons and a very Happy and Prosperous 2014 to all! Welcome to the 108th installment of this dynamic thread.

As the holiday season simmers down and airlines bank the last of the available premium yields into their already filled coffers, we see airports worldwide hit by terrible cold weather, grounding scores of flights and creating a logistical nightmare. Indigenous Caribbean carriers have had their fair share of weather misfortunes with several flights severely delayed or grounded as a result of these harsh temperate conditions experienced over the past week. One thing we can say about our picturesque and culturally vibrant region is that "we're still hot!"; pun intended.

Here's to a very productive and successful year to all of us and the Caribbean aviation industry!

******NEWS FEED******
New TSA security procedures to enhance in-transit GEO pax experrience at POS
Sky Bahamas Loses $123,000 In Weekend Sick-Out
BW and FlyJam still denied 7th freedom rights due to effective DL lobbying
AA B752 ex POS makes emergency landing in PLS due to smoke in cockpit
NAS completes 4-year, $US409M overhaul
ArkeFly expands with B788 to AUA, BON and CUR
AJW Aviation to provide maintenance support for BW's 15 B738s
BY B788 makes first appearance in Caribbean @ BGI (commanded by skipper of Bajan descent)
BW INAC application to run CCS daily with B738 denied
B6 to interline with LI and BB
BW relaunches KIN; to introduce more flying out of KIN and MBJ
Air Turks & Caicos unveils its re-branding to Inter-Caribbean Airways
Air Caraibes orders 3 A350-1000
ATR 42-600 V2-LIF delivered to LI in ANU
BW reported avoids seizure of 11 a/c in early 2013 due to mismanagement
UP to put increased focus on charter market
Winair inaugurates new service from SXM to CUR, AXA and EIS
Antigua Labour Party threatens withdrawal from OECS if LI’s HQ is moved from ANU
Fly Montserrat to provide air transport services to Nevis with BN-2 Islander
Inaugural DL A320 LAX-BZE service off to a hit with full flights
VS A333 (G-VNYC) sustains damage in UVF after landing on flooded runway
US$138M GEO modernisation project continues as scheduled

******MEMBER NOTES******
GUYAIR flies BW529 (JFK-GEO) operated by BW B767-300ER
817Dreamliner flies to LGW-ANU on VS's G-VWAG (A330-300)

Happy Posting guys!
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

nikeson13

RE: We're Still Hot! - Caribbean Aviation Thread 108

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:39 am

This is related to all the Caribbean, and I felt it didn't need a new thread, so...

Yesterday, I was coming back to SMF from a vacation in GCM via IAH . The terminal was a crazy, and somehow we boarded on time. But then, we were delayed because the airport didn't do our paperwork and flight plan! Anyways, we were delayed an hour and I missed my connection along with 80% of my flight.

I have two questions:

1) Are other Caribbean airports similar to this? The flight attendant said they've been delayed numerous times that she's been on this route due to confusion and paperwork, and most Caribbean airports are similar to GCM.

2) Shouldn't UA make this flight earlier? Most people fly to IAH to connect to the west coast, and with these regular delays you can't catch the last flight west leaving at 9:00.(we get in at 7:30)

Thanks,
nikeson13
Nikolas

2travel2know2

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:49 am

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):

How long ago BW requested the aircraft upgrade?
IMHO, now it's too late, Venezuela knows how desperate is the situation regarding international seat availability and will do little or nothing to ease it.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

guyanam

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 am

With regards to the delays this last several days. I will give BW credit for one thing and that is if they cancel a flight, they replace it with another so people eventually get to where they need to go. Unlike the US carriers which seem less likely to replace and put the onus on the passengers to figure out how to get home.
I personally suffered this on AA. But BW really must work on their baggage though. I have seen complaints pop up all over the place. It kind of offsets the advantage of being one of the few airlines with two free bags if the bags don't arrive, and when they do have items stolen. I maintain that people hand over their bags to airlines and expect to get them back on time and intact. And this is especially when BW has a very strict cabin baggage policy.

[Edited 2014-01-07 01:09:43]

viasa

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:10 pm

ATR 42-600 V2-LIF delivered to LI in ANU

I'm not sure if this ATR42 was actually delivered. I think it is still in TLS.

GUYAIR707

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 3):

Flew BW527 on December 30th and flight was ontime and all luggage arrived. There was severe rains that day but eased in time for our flight. They need to work on their meals, sucks paying $1000+ and getting pittance. Not that I advocate airline food.

Quoting nikeson13 (Reply 1):

To your first question, I never had that at GEO for as long as I can remember, neither POS, BGI, or GND in the recent past. It's no fairytale but nothing like you described. If there is paperwork confusion it is sorted out prior to the scheduled departure time. We have the usual flight delays and such for equipment breakdowns and weather delays (usually at destination).

GUYAIR707

yellowtail

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Yesterday, I was coming back to SMF from a vacation in GCM via IAH . The terminal was a crazy, and somehow we boarded on time. But then, we were delayed because the airport didn't do our paperwork and flight plan! Anyways, we were delayed an hour and I missed my connection along with 80% of my flight.

I posted in another thread re a DL delay in KIN about how something simple as paperwork can delay a flight a long time…..thanks for giving a great example.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

bjorn14

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:11 am

Just curious why Puerto Barrios (PBR) doesn't have any major air service? It has a catchment of 300K+, Free Trade Zone, Mayan ruins, etc.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

817Dreamliiner

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:05 am

817Dreamliner flies to LGW-ANU on VS's G-VWAG (A330-300)

And will be on another one of these next Tuesday back to the UK   . Will be either G-VWAG again or G-VGEM. G-VGEM was the replacement aircraft sent from LHR to cover for G-VNYC with had the incident at UVF. It hasn't left UVF yet as far as I know.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

A388

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Hello everybody,

A Very Happy New Year to all of you. I wish all the best for everybody in 2014 and beyond of course 

817Dreamliiner, how is your vacation so far? I wish I could have flown the VS new A333's. My apologies for not getting back at you for the photo edit help I promised you. It's been some time ago but I have been soo busy at work and at home that I just didn't have the time to do it. What I have seen and after a quick edit I did at the time, the photos you edited were the same as I did so you did a good job with the editing in my opinion. The photo quality itself just needs work but that will come over time because you have good photos for someone who is just starting with aircraft photography. Again my apologies and hope there are no hard feelings.

Cheers,

A388

817Dreamliiner

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 9):
817Dreamliiner, how is your vacation so far? I wish I could have flown the VS new A333's. My apologies for not getting back at you for the photo edit help I promised you. It's been some time ago but I have been soo busy at work and at home that I just didn't have the time to do it. What I have seen and after a quick edit I did at the time, the photos you edited were the same as I did so you did a good job with the editing in my opinion. The photo quality itself just needs work but that will come over time because you have good photos for someone who is just starting with aircraft photography. Again my apologies and hope there are no hard feelings.

Hi A388, my vacation has been good so far thanks for asking. Don't worry about it, ive actually been busy with school work since so I barley had time to do any sort of editing. Haven't been out to the airport here in MNI either, not really worth it when all you get is the same aircraft all the time. Will be passing through ANU next week and will have some time to spot while im waiting for my flight to LGW. Hopefully I can get some good shots ( will have to negotiate that horrible tint on the windows in the upstairs departure lounge though...). But I also plan to do some spotting at MAN, hoping to catch the Lufthansa Cargo 777F and the Cathay Pacific 747-8F.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

A388

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 10):
Hi A388, my vacation has been good so far thanks for asking. Don't worry about it, ive actually been busy with school work since so I barley had time to do any sort of editing. Haven't been out to the airport here in MNI either, not really worth it when all you get is the same aircraft all the time. Will be passing through ANU next week and will have some time to spot while im waiting for my flight to LGW. Hopefully I can get some good shots ( will have to negotiate that horrible tint on the windows in the upstairs departure lounge though...). But I also plan to do some spotting at MAN, hoping to catch the Lufthansa Cargo 777F and the Cathay Pacific 747-8F.

That is fantastic, I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. I hope to go spotting in MAN some day too. I especially like that spot at the parking lot that gives the nice aircraft line-up at the terminal there.

Cheers,

A388

andrefranca

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:52 am

Quote:
Clearly there is a ring of baggage thieves at POS and for the life of me I can't understand why BW doesnt step up their security. Just about every complaint is baggage related. Venezuelans also seem quite irate (so much for POS being used as a hub for Venezuelans) as apparently who ever is handling them at CCS is left out of the BW loop so has no info.

I'm 99.9% sure these problems happen in CCS, CCS is I-N-F-A-M-O-U-S in the whole latin america for bag shoplifting!

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 2):
IMHO, now it's too late, Venezuela knows how desperate is the situation regarding international seat availability and will do little or nothing to ease it.

"Mi hermano" the country is collapsed, grandma returned before yesterday from PMV and told me there are dozens of shops without even a pen or piece of paper to take note, the country is "going down" fast, poor venezuelans...

Winair inaugurates new service from SXM to CUR, AXA and EIS

You forgot SDQ 
1) Are other Caribbean airports similar to this? The flight attendant said they've been delayed numerous times that she's been on this route due to confusion and paperwork, and most Caribbean airports are similar to GCM.

Trust me, we delayed once in BDA because the air traffic "forgot" to upload the flight plan.

yellowtail

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:11 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 7):
Just curious why Puerto Barrios (PBR) doesn't have any major air service? It has a catchment of 300K+, Free Trade Zone, Mayan ruins, etc.

TA used to fly 208s there SAL-PBR-BZE….might be an opportunity for someone like 9N….though I think it is undergoing a refurb and is not open to international traffic.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

caribbean484

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 am

Once again Happy New Year to all forum members and all the best to you guys

It was in October they made the request; reason high loads and cargo capabilities.

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 5):

To answer your question about the fleet replacement, what I heard was that CAL is going to make a decision on its fleet as their original 6 738 are coming to age, but lease cost are lower. So whether they renew the lease and refurbish the fleet or get all new narrow body we will know in due course.

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 12):
"Mi hermano" the country is collapsed, grandma returned before yesterday from PMV and told me there are dozens of shops without even a pen or piece of paper to take note, the country is "going down" fast, poor venezuelans...

Really sad state of affairs, Chavez's economic policy are finally coming home to roast and the people in Venezuela are allowing the government to run the country into the ground.
All ah we is one family

2travel2know2

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 14):
Really sad state of affairs, Chavez's economic policy are finally coming home to roast and the people in Venezuela are allowing the government to run the country into the ground.

And aviation is just a tiny sector with major problems there.
No need to wait for that moment Trinis, Grenadians and Guyanese start seeing flotillas of desperate Venezuelans trying to find a new life even in those extremely culturally shocking un-latin countries.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

txkf2010

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 12):
Trust me, we delayed once in BDA because the air traffic "forgot" to upload the flight plan.

When was this?

guyanam

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 15):

Well I guess we have to wait for the estimated 30,000 Guyanese livfi8ng in eastern Venezuela. The others will have to trek through too much jungle. Suspect they might prefer Tdad and Curacao.

Also if too many Venezuelans come to Guyana Maduro might exercise his claims over 2/3 of the counhtry, and then the Venezuelans will be back under Maduro, unless they squash into Georgetown

Seriously though Venezuela will soon be marooned. They dont have proper airlines and the foreign carriers will have to stop flying there. Insel seems to be in a bit of trouble because of the millions locked up in Venezuela. BW has to be grateful that they were refused permission to expand that service. I can well imagine that Venezuelans are now looking at the ferry servfices to Trinidad.

beeweel15

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 pm

It seems like the same thing happens year after year in Caribbean Aviation so I go to ask this question How much do think it will cost to pay the governments to back off and to allow someone to come in and really clean up the mess.

A388

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 18):
It seems like the same thing happens year after year in Caribbean Aviation so I go to ask this question How much do think it will cost to pay the governments to back off and to allow someone to come in and really clean up the mess.

You should direct this question to the politicians year after year and see what answer you will get (year after year).

A388

caribbean484

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 18):

Basically if CAL is not for sale then there is no intent to buy out, however, the Government can select credible persons to Manage the country's assets. As seen the current finance minister has selected a rather credible board after the political stooges mess up the carrier's finances for their own benefits.

CAL was to be privatized after 5 years of a proper return of investments and was well on its way there, we all knew what happened then.

As BW424 stated the new board is trying their best to turn things around and more changes are expected. A new management to be named in the near future and the CEO is said to be a US citizen with lots of experience in aviation management.
All ah we is one family

westindian425

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Well it's been "donkey years" since my last post, but Happy New Year to everyone!

Quoting A388 (Reply 9):
to cover for G-VNYC with had the incident at UVF. It hasn't left UVF yet as far as I know.

Does anyone have pics of the airplane? My parents are in St. Lucia, and thankfully they had no damage to their property. (They are in Castries)

Quoting txkf2010 (Reply 16):
No need to wait for that moment Trinis, Grenadians and Guyanese start seeing flotillas of desperate Venezuelans trying to find a new life even in those extremely culturally shocking un-latin countries.

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. I take it the country is seeing now how the government was really not doing things in their best interest.

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 20):
As BW424 stated the new board is trying their best to turn things around and more changes are expected. A new management to be named in the near future and the CEO is said to be a US citizen with lots of experience in aviation management.

I wonder who this would be. Just because the person is from the US with lots of experience, doesn't mean he or she is a good person to run the airline. Frank Lorenzo and Carl Ichan are two who come to mind. Now if they said Gordon Bethune I would not only stand and clap, but I'd try to come work for CAL.  
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

817Dreamliiner

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Quoting westindian425 (Reply 21):
Does anyone have pics of the airplane?

Pics are here:

http://avherald.com/h?article=46d97b6f&opt=0

andrefranca

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:01 am

Quoting txkf2010 (Reply 16):

Saturday, April 27th 2013, Jetblue 1732.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 17):
Suspect they might prefer Tdad and Curacao.

ANYWHERE, I've seeing them looking for jobs even in DOM, SXM, SXM immigration barely saw venezuelan passport: Interview room!!!! so sad, well Brazil is light years far from being perfect, but if they want to come, the time is now, BRAZGOV is easing visa to immigrants, we're living a haitian (taking the world cup and olympics and city construction jobs cause even lazy broken brazilians don't want to do it) and cuban diaspora (members of the "more doctors program").

[Edited 2014-01-10 18:05:04]

GUYAIR707

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:57 am

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 14):
To answer your question about the fleet replacement, what I heard was that CAL is going to make a decision on its fleet as their original 6 738 are coming to age, but lease cost are lower. So whether they renew the lease and refurbish the fleet or get all new narrow body we will know in due course.

Great thanks. I guess a third 763 is out of the question for now.

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:11 am

Quoting westindian425 (Reply 21):

And who can forget Ed Acker and his team when BWIA was privatized. Indeed George Nicholas and his team were brilliant compared to Ed Acker.

caribbean484

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:29 am

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 24):
Great thanks. I guess a third 763 is out of the question for now.

There is talk that CAL will get rid of all 767 by November this year as they are to expensive to operate and LGW is not working out. It was mentioned that the finance minister is not liking the way the LGW route is being operated as everything it flies it loses money. Pilots will be retrained to rejoin the 737 for an expanded schedule.
All ah we is one family

BW424
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:28 am

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 26):
There is talk that CAL will get rid of all 767 by November this year as they are to expensive to operate and LGW is not working out. It was mentioned that the finance minister is not liking the way the LGW route is being operated as everything it flies it loses money. Pilots will be retrained to rejoin the 737 for an expanded schedule.

Since 484 has let the cat out of the bag, yes, this is indeed true. However, as for now, it's only rumours from my end. This may be bitter news for some, but it is indeed welcoming news from my end! I've championed this measure from the beginning. It will substantially cut costs without diluting the product offering, out-sourcing activities or severing jobs. It will actually allow CAL to focus on its core network and expand from there; the same as originally planned in 2006. Hopefully, a respectable hard product can be developed over time as the airline contracts to expand!

Possibly 2 months ago. The situation in CCS is getting dire as everyone has stated on here.
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

guyanam

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 27):

While I can understand why LGW has to go, if it is losing money I wonder about a few things.

1. Will BW be wet leasing planes during the peak seasons, because its existing 738 fleet cant handle YYZ and GEO.

2. Does the 738 have the ability to handle the nonstop into GEO fully loaded, without leaving bags. Having introduced nonstop into GEO I don't see the market handling the withdrawal of that too well.
'
3, What new routes does BW really think will be viable. They are a VFR carrier and they have covered just about all the North American gateways, aside from maybe IAD. If they cant make LGW work Latin America is pure fantasy. POS will never compete against the PTY gateways.

4. Any expansion that involves Venezuela doesn't make sense, given the issues that all carriers have in that market.

5. FJ will be very happy if BW ceases nonstop YYZ GEO service.

GUYAIR707

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:06 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 28):
1. Will BW be wet leasing planes during the peak seasons, because its existing 738 fleet cant handle YYZ and GEO.

2. Does the 738 have the ability to handle the nonstop into GEO fully loaded, without leaving bags. Having introduced nonstop into GEO I don't see the market handling the withdrawal of that too well.

My thoughts exactly, what happens to GEO - JFK, YYZ?

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2014/new...-bound-plane-crashes-takeoff-ogle/

A Cessna veered off the runway at OGL and flipped over. One pax was injured. There have been a series of a/c incidents in Guyana recently and calls have been made to the Civil Aviation authorities here to launch a comprehensive investigation.

GUYAIR707

817Dreamliiner

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Darn, I never even managed to spot one of their 767s. Maybe i'll get lucky and see one at LGW on Wednesday. If not oh well... But in all honesty the 767 never really made much sense...

GUYAIR707

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 30):

Yeah, the hummingbird detail is great, especially on this larger a/c, hope you get to see it.

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 29):

This is especially as BW is trying to dig itself out of its bad image in Guyana. As even their new chairman admitted that BW and Guyana have a love hate affair. BW loves GEO, but GEO hates them. And especially with B6 entering the POS market definitely reducing some of those good yields that they got last summer.

A388

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:25 am

I also hope to see the Caribbean Airlines 76W but I'm afraid I never will but who knows. Never say never 

Cheers,

A388

txkf2010

Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 23):
Saturday, April 27th 2013, Jetblue 1732

I remember this. It wasn't that your flight plan was forgotten, this was the beginning of the summer of hell on the ground in BDA. The "forgotten flightplan" excuse was really just Jetblue (and anyone else) getting stuck in non-radar procedures. What this means in short was until the tower had a visual on any arriving aircraft your flight wouldn't be allowed to depart. At this point in the year, they hadn't implemented the ground stop on g/a traffic so if there was GV ready to go before you, they'd go, you'd have to wait 20 minutes until they where clear and hope there was no inbounds.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:06 pm

The Airbus A350 will be on its way to FDF sometime soon, maybe today. Anyone in FDF?? We need pictures  

A388

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 35):
The Airbus A350 will be on its way to FDF sometime soon, maybe today. Anyone in FDF?? We need pictures

What will it be doing there? There is one local spotter there if I remember correctly.

A388

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 36):
What will it be doing there? There is one local spotter there if I remember correctly.

The other thread said it was hot weather testing ( but it isnt very hot in this area) but someone else said it might be humidity testing or in their words: "for a different kind of weather... like humid and warmer than standard, for instance." Its on is way there today.

I can only hope it takes a detour to ANU tomorrow       Though, I know its highly unlikely....

A388

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 37):
Quoting A388 (Reply 36):

The other thread said it was hot weather testing ( but it isnt very hot in this area) but someone else said it might be humidity testing or in their words: "for a different kind of weather... like humid and warmer than standard, for instance." Its on is way there today.

I can only hope it takes a detour to ANU tomorrow Though, I know its highly unlikely....

Okay thanks for the information  

A388

LimaFoxTango

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 35):

According to FR24, she's just south of POS, I dare say in FDF by 6pm local time.

Point to note, the A380 did visit FDF and PTP during its test regime as well.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 39):
According to FR24, she's just south of POS, I dare say in FDF by 6pm local time.

Point to note, the A380 did visit FDF and PTP during its test regime as well.

Yup that sounds about right. Yes I remember seeing a photo of the A380 at either PTP or FDF.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:12 pm

A350 MSN 3 has arrived at FDF. Touchdown was at approx. 22:02 UTC / 6:02 pm local time. Flight time was 4 hours 14 mins.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:41 pm

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:47 pm

andrefranca

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:14 am

Quoting txkf2010 (Reply 34):

Oh, I see, once flying spirit airlines as well in STT the capt told us we had a computer berserk when we cleared the runway an AA took off and then we returned to the runway minutes later, strange but it was his "excuse" to abort take off or to avoid a disaster maybe...or who knows.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 42):

Nice!

817Dreamliiner

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Mini Trip Report

Ive decided not to do a full trip report this time around, don't really have the time at the moment. Im finally back in MAN but unfortunately it was really smooth sailing...

SVG Air (of all people!!) decided to leave my and everyone else's bags in MNI. And they only decide to tell us when we got to ANU. We eventually got our bags, but we got them 2 HOURS LATER!!! Not cool at all.... MNI is only 15 or so Mins away and it took them 2 whole hours??? Usually I would only have good things to say about this airline, but this time around.... it was just pure disappointment..

The Virgin flight was ok. My aircraft was G-VWAG (again...) and we arrived into LGW 34 min ahead of schedule. Though, I was seated next to a gentleman on the larger side, and the meal was nothing to speak about... But other than that, the flight was ok.

A388, Due to the problems I encountered with SVG Air, I wasn't able to take many photos (I even missed getting a photo of a fairly new AA 737 in the new livery    ) But I did Manage to get some of the LI ATR 42-600 V2-LID as I arrived. However I was eventually told to stop by one of the security guards... So here's what I managed from yesterday, These were taken on my phone BTW:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2877/11968594583_324acc99af_b.jpg
20140114_130849 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/11969133726_06f25b0fd9_b.jpg
20140114_130858 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7414/11968704614_248eac66a0_b.jpg
20140114_130900 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2819/11968706584_478b8375de_b.jpg
20140114_130907 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3744/11968569783_d11b113e59_b.jpg
20140114_130925 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

Was walking when these were taken so they didn't come out how I wanted them to.

Food at the Big Banana Lounge, BBQ chicken with fries:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7354/11968502815_2a44a5cb8f_b.jpg
20140114_134622 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

ANU also has a Mock up of the new Terminal Just before you enter the departure lounge:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5481/11969108826_2083cf6f54_b.jpg
20140114_142554 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

And here is my Aircraft G-VWAG backtracking rwy 07:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3754/11968266715_bffbb62c5f_b.jpg
20140114_162428 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5511/11969087766_4fdafe3165_b.jpg
20140114_162738 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

Also managed to spot a Condor 767 as we were departing ANU.

The Airbus A350 was in the Area, flying around Guadeloupe at about 8000ft. It would've been pretty cool to see fly over.

Forgot to add:
The loads on my last 3 virgin flights:
Sept 2013: 230 pax out 455 seats(Boeing 747-400, G-VAST)
Dec 2013: 259 pax out of 266 seats(Airbus A330-300, G-VWAG)
Jan 2014: 244 pax out of 266 seats(Airbus A330-300, G-VWAG)

Interesting numbers especially since the A330s have 19 more J seats than the 747. I know its a very small sample size but it seems the A330s are doing fairly well, at least out of ANU.

[Edited 2014-01-15 13:03:44]

LimaFoxTango

Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:03 am

According to planespotters.net, ATR 42 msn 1010 which was previously listed as going to LIAT, has gone to Air Guyane, reg F-OIXO. It left TLS today (15/1) on delivery. Interesting, as I had not heard Air Guyane order any aircraft. Air Caraibes however has an ATR 72 on order.

Edit: Found a pic

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.ph...esExpressFOIXOTLS140114EPajaud.jpg

[Edited 2014-01-15 16:06:40]
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

andrefranca

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:54 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 46):

Strange indeed, as Winair got an Air Antilles ATR on lease...

A little bit off topic guys but still connected to one of our caribbean nations: Haiti.

The Brazilian immigration department has called for help due to the large number of immigrants crossing the borders day after day looking a better life (dunno why they pick brazil but anyways), according to the reports there are an average of 70-80 haitians crossing the border illegaly PER DAY, so if we do the math, that would be 2100 -2400 haitians entering brazil illegally per month, the article also says that coyotes (people smuggler) have being telling around in PAP and SDQ that brazil will soon close its borders to foreigners, this made the influx grow.

MAO is supposed to have an average 10 thousand haitian immigrants living LEGALLY mostly working on construction and service businesses, we can already see boards written in crayol in banks, travel agencies, money gram stuff etc...

Brazil is a country where it REALLY doesn't matter from where you come from (N America and Europe love to say that but deep inside this is not the case), we may have many problems but everyone has the chance to start a new life (No one can go back and make a new beginning, but one can always start now and make a new ending) it's an old saying down here.

Source: http://g1.globo.com/ac/acre/noticia/...triplica-e-acre-teme-tragedia.html

2travel2know2

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:20 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 47):
MAO is supposed to have an average 10 thousand haitian immigrants living LEGALLY mostly working on construction and service businesses, we can already see boards written in crayol in banks, travel agencies, money gram stuff etc...

Dumb of G3 not to fly at least once per week MAO-PAP.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

andrefranca

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:38 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 48):

Well CM gets then there! LOL, but G3 is reeeallly in bad shape right now, dunno they'll take any chances...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos