Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N312RM

RE: We're Still Hot! - Caribbean Aviation Thread 108

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:22 am

Quoting nikeson13 (Reply 1):
Yesterday, I was coming back to SMF from a vacation in GCM via IAH . The terminal was a crazy, and somehow we boarded on time. But then, we were delayed because the airport didn't do our paperwork and flight plan! Anyways, we were delayed an hour and I missed my connection along with 80% of my flight.

Sunday January 5 was undoubtedly the busiest day of the year for flight operations at GCM.

In addition to the scheduled airline flights there were a large number of private aircraft that were leaving GCM to return primarily to the US.

The number of aircraft that ATC can safely handle at any one time is limited, since GCM does not have radar facilities. My guess is that your delay had less to do with the filing of paper work and more to do with the limitations of ATC and the number of aircraft that they can handle at any time.

There could potentially have been issues with coordination of your flight with HAV, since your flight would likely have transited Cuban airspace.

Congestion at GCM is at its peak on Saturday and Sunday between the hours of 11am and 3pm. Residents have learned to avoid flights arriving/departing during these hours if at all possible.

I am sorry that your vacation was marred by a bad experience on your departure, I hope that it will not deter you from visiting again. Best regards

guyanam

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 am

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 45):

Seems as if LGW ANU is really an A330 route, so its a good thing that those planes are available or VS would be cutting back, given the overall drop in UK originating business.
I would think that SVG Air would give priority to connecting passengers as it is hard for all if you have to continue onwards w/o your bags.

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 47):

Don't know if Winair is leasing the ATR. I think that they just "rent" it to run some flights. The plane arrives in SDQ from PTP, does some runs for WM. and then returns to PTP from SDQ. I suspect that Air Antilles provides everythng

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 48):

The issue is do these Haitians arrive in Brazil through legal means, or do they paddle up some river to the closest highway in Brazil. Those who do travel legally can do so via PTY.

817Dreamliiner

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:57 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 46):
According to planespotters.net, ATR 42 msn 1010 which was previously listed as going to LIAT, has gone to Air Guyane, reg F-OIXO. It left TLS today (15/1) on delivery. Interesting, as I had not heard Air Guyane order any aircraft.

That is indeed interesting. I guess that was why it was painted all white in the previous photos.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 51):
Seems as if LGW ANU is really an A330 route, so its a good thing that those planes are available or VS would be cutting back, given the overall drop in UK originating business.

So it seems, they are also scheduled for the summer season and will fly LGW-UVF-ANU on some days.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 51):
I would think that SVG Air would give priority to connecting passengers as it is hard for all if you have to continue onwards w/o your bags.

Usually they would, im not sure what was happening the other day. I just hope they never do it again..
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

A388

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:49 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 46):
According to planespotters.net, ATR 42 msn 1010 which was previously listed as going to LIAT, has gone to Air Guyane, reg F-OIXO.

This is fantastic news, I hope they will use it on Winair's flights to Curacao as well so I can photograph it here. In that case we will have two airlines operating the -600 versions of the ATR to Curacao (LIAT and Air Antilles Express).

Please keep me informed if and when F-OIXO will be sent to Curacao.

Cheers,

A388

beeweel15

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:38 am

Just to let you all know about how Delta messes around with things. Here is a link of what they are doing here in the USA

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/112...=email&utm_campaign=AVVDB140110004

They try to push out any competition anywhere and anyway they can.

yellowtail

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 am

Quoting beeweel15 (Reply 55):
They try to push out any competition anywhere and anyway they can.

Just like any other airline….I guarantee you that if there was a similar situation in T&T, BW would object.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

guyanam

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:32 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 56):

Except that the USA is a powerful nation with the ability to seriously intimidate. This is why DL whines that GEO is badly hurting their viability they need a serious spanking. I will like them to carry that attitude to the UK given that LHR/LGW are powerful gateways vital to many a transatlantic carrier.

BW985

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 26):
There is talk that CAL will get rid of all 767 by November this year as they are to expensive to operate and LGW is not working out.

BW have just made the LGW flights bookable for next winter season. Does that mean that they will keep their 767s for now or are they planning to wetlease aircraft to operate the London route?

BW985

guyanam

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:40 am

Quoting BW985 (Reply 58):

Some one asked on their Facebook whether the rumors of LGW being axed were true. The response was "where did you hear that, its not true?" If they axe LGW then they will have to permanently decide that they will never do LGW. They will also need to decide soon as BA is already putting together their winter 2015 schedule.

caribbean484

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:51 am

Quoting BW985 (Reply 58):
Quoting guyanam (Reply 59):

My source is very reliable about things going on in CAL since they are in a decision making position, so yes the board has a decision to make soon in accordance with the business plan, and recommendations being looked at are that by year's end LGW would be axed along with the 767 fleet.

And also this: "Meanwhile there has been no word from Iere House at Piarco about any changes in the airline’s schedule or routes. Sources say that the powers that be are paying close attention to certain routes, one of them being the POS-London service. "
http://newsday.co.tt/businessday/0,189288.html
All ah we is one family

guyanam

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:48 am

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 60):

If they axe the 767 what plans do they have to service their nonstop into GEO, especially out of BW doesn't seem to be handling their baggage well, based on FB complaints. Indeed some are even asking if using them for their liberal baggage poiicy makes sense if it means that bags are delayed.
Can a 738 really handle those nonstops to GEO fully loaded? If not TravelSpan with their 767 will get the business. Not sure whats going on with FlyJam, but they seem to be attracting a following in GEO and will do well out of BW stops serving the route nonstops. Those Canadian Guyanese have had way too many bad experiences with Piarco over the past 30 years.

As of now with their near monopoly status airlift has fast become a political problem, and if smaller jets means delayed bags (which invariably means theft at GEO and/or POS) there will be heavy demand for the govt to get new carriers to handle JFK/BW management have admitted that they haven't always done a decent job in serving Guyanese passengers and its a pity if they mess by removing the nonstops, or using planes which are too small to handle the loads.

With B6 nibbling away at the POS market, GEO will be even more vital for BW. As is in the first half of the year loads into GEO from the USA were down by 15%.

[Edited 2014-01-17 21:50:16]

caribbean484

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 61):

I don't have all the answers for the questions as those considerations are still at the board level to deliberate and will not be know for a little time.

The 738 has the ability to operate the GEO-JFK route nonstop fully loaded, but not GEO-YYZ. If they do return the 763 then they would then have to reposition a 738 in GEO to operate NYC and transit pax from YYZ back to POS. The only other aircraft that can operate GEO-YYZ nonstop is the 73G or the 738Max.
There is talk that the board may have to decided to accept recommendations for the older 738 to be replaced with some newer ones until they make a final decision on MAX or NEO.

The board recognizes that they cannot operate routes that are marginal and POS-LGW is very marginal and that is putting it mildly. The subfleet of 763 when the airline operates most of it's routes into the US is costly and operationally a problem. For instance when one has to go for C-checks then a 738 has to substitute for it bringing operational flexibility into problems. That 738 has to then stop off in ANU for fuel before continuing to YYZ.
All ah we is one family

guyanam

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:56 am

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 62):

Well Fly Jamaica will do very well on the YYZ GEO route, because after having tasted nonstop service ,many will not go back. The only alternative will be to run the 607 YYZ POS GEO, meaning that passengers will not have to disembark the plane. It is now admitted that POS wasn't designed to be an intransit hub. The 601/661 transfer has led to many complaints.

Are there other routes being watched, or just the LGW. I assume that all the Jamaica routes are safe, given their goal of building that base.

The other issue is that if they drop the 2 767s then they will not have enough capacity to service YYZ/JFK in peak periods, unless they anticipate significant loss in market share to B6. So they will either have to wetlease, acquire more 738s, or concede market share to B6. Indeed JFK GEO POS will have to run daily in the peaks to replace the 5X weekly 767 service. BW will have less pricing flexibility once B6 enters so starving a route and charging the roof, which is what they did last summer, will not work.

GUYAIR707

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:14 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 63):

I noticed when the 763 was undergoing maintenance the 738 did JFK-GEO non stop but had to stop in TAB on the return, maybe due to the runway length, or lack thereof, in GEO.

Trans Guyana Airways 8R-GHS went down today in dense forest, and remains missing up to 6pm. Search will resume tomorrow at 630am with an aircraft overflying the suspected area tonight. The Locator Beacon has not been picked up.

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2014/new...al-picked-up-by-us-control-centre/

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2014/new.../search-on-for-trans-guyana-plane/

Hoping both persons aboard are OK.

GUYAIR707

andrefranca

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:59 am

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 64):
Trans Guyana Airways 8R-GHS went down today in dense forest, and remains missing up to 6pm. Search will resume tomorrow at 630am with an aircraft overflying the suspected area tonight. The Locator Beacon has not been picked up.

oh that's terrible news... they're often recommended in BVB for people who want to get to GEO ASAP.

caribbean484

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:07 am

Well Fly Jamaica will do very well on the YYZ GEO route, because after having tasted nonstop service ,many will not go back. The only alternative will be to run the 607 YYZ POS GEO, meaning that passengers will not have to disembark the plane. It is now admitted that POS wasn't designed to be an intransit hub. The 601/661 transfer has led to many complaints.

I'm not sure how well flyJamaica is doing overall, to date they still have 1 757 despite saying they will have another sometime last year. Single aircraft operations are very expensive.

Are there other routes being watched, or just the LGW. I assume that all the Jamaica routes are safe, given their goal of building that base.

Well to be honest all route are watched lol, also all new a/cs are watched, but the LGW route is being "watched" because of financial issues on the route.

The other issue is that if they drop the 2 767s then they will not have enough capacity to service YYZ/JFK in peak periods, unless they anticipate significant loss in market share to B6. So they will either have to wetlease, acquire more 738s, or concede market share to B6. Indeed JFK GEO POS will have to run daily in the peaks to replace the 5X weekly 767 service. BW will have less pricing flexibility once B6 enters so starving a route and charging the roof, which is what they did last summer, will not work.

I actually did a operational model on all CAL 738 routes peak and off peak, and based on their schedule they currently run 9 hrs per day, and peak Christmas 2013 they ran 11hrs pay day. Given that most operators aim to have their a/c at 12.5hrs there is room for about another flight.

CAL will never concede to B6 in POS, if they do they might as well fold and that is it for aviation in POS. The airline ran 5 daily nonstops all with their 738 to JFK last Christmas without hiccups, and increased flights to YYZ.
We may very well see them rake up some 738 from returning the 767 if the board accepts the recommendations, but that is if they accept.
All ah we is one family

Avianca

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:45 am

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):
BW INAC application to run CCS daily with B738 denied

BW is really lucky, that the request was rejected!

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 23):
SXM immigration barely saw venezuelan passport: Interview room!!!! so sad,

are you sure.... at least during DAE times, they SXM flights had quite good loads from VE originated pax.
Also I dont have a Venezuelan passport, I have done myself CCS-CUR-(SDQ)-SXM with DAE

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

andrefranca

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:29 am

Quoting avianca (Reply 67):
are you sure.... at least during DAE times, they SXM flights had quite good loads from VE originated pax.
Also I dont have a Venezuelan passport, I have done myself CCS-CUR-(SDQ)-SXM with DAE

Right, you're talking about LF, no question about it, it's there! I flew with friends BON-CUR-SXM and we were delayed at immigration because the flight was indeed full of venezuelans and the immigration was tough on them, some were sent to interview rooms, others we felt were going to be returned on the same flight, on the other 2 times we returned to SXM it was the same thing, so my point was about the perception countries in central/latin america are creating about VEN and its conditions.

guyanam

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:33 am

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 66):

Well FlyJam is an unknown factor as we don't know how well they are doing, but, given Guyana ownership involvement, they might well decide to shift more resources to the GEO market if that begins to look especially lucrative. I will not claim that this is indicative of anything but I hear more Guyanese in NYC talking about FlyJam than I hear Jamaicans. maybe because the latter have more choice so have less need for them. FJ can do YYZGEOYYZ flights. As is YYZKIN is quite well served sat the moment.

Your model indicates that BW could have gotten an additional JFK flights (12.5-11)X7 at Xmas. However if the 767s go they will need an additional 7 flights to handle JFK GEO, and an additional 2 to handle YYZPOSGEO. That suggests that they will have to acquire at least 1 or 2 additional 738s, especially if the plan is to ramp up KIN. Or they will have to wet lease to operate the 500/501, as they used to.. Or they will have to allow a significant % of their POS passengers to use B6, to make room for their GEO. Or Travelspan will get more bold, and increase flights thus crushing yield.

Off peak isn't an issue.

My only concern is that when people who are sitting around a table all reflect a certain point of view (Trinidad), is there any one to remind them of GEO, where they enjoy higher yields, higher market share, and where competitive threats are much less, provided that BW handles that market properly?

Experience seems to indicate that BW is very REACTIVE in its attitude towards GEO. When their CEO/Chairmen go to GEO and get a thorough thrashing from the Guyana government and the travel trade, they then respond. Case in point There were cries for JFK GEO nonstop service for quite a while. Only when EZjet entered and they feared market share loss did BW see fit to start such service.

Ditto with the intransit situation at POS for GEO bound/originating passengers. Even passengers bound to GEO were subject to security rechecks at POS. When the Guyana gov't got threatened to take away the flag carrier status, and suddenly no searches needed, even on flights to the USA. This suggests to me that BW could have worked with the GoTT and through them to the TSA to have resolved this issue long before they did.

As it is BW top brass are aware of the extremely negative perception in Guyana and also among Guyanese in Canada. Lets hope that whatever they do plan to do is good for BW, and also for its passengers bound to and originating in GEO, otherwise eventually others will jump in. The GEO runway is being lengthened.

txkf2010

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Can someone tell me where/what route(s) Winair operates their ATR42?

A388

Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Hello all,

Estelar to my surprise used their new addition to the fleet to Curacao yesterday, their 737-300. This aircraft so far has rarely been photographed so I felt lucky. This is the second Venezuelan airline which is modernizing the fleet with the 737 classics (-300 or -400 version). The other airline is Avior Airlines which has the 737-400. See my photo here:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography

(Very) Slowly Venezuelan airlines are starting to use slightly younger aircraft instead of those very old 737-200's and the DC-9's are now becoming MD80's. I know these are still old aircraft but at least they are slightly newer.

Cheers,

A388

caribbean484

Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:49 pm

Sad news
Canadian pilot, Blake Slater and the Guyanese Cargo Loader were Monday morning found dead among the wreckage of the single-engine aircraft that went down Saturday morning in dense jungle.

Spokesman for Trans Guyana Airways, Kit Nascimento said the pilot's body was located. A family member of Cargo Loader Dwayne Jacobs Newton said Transport Minister, Robeson Benn informed her that he also perished.

Slater and Newton were the only persons aboard the Cessna Caravan aircraft that was on a shuttle from Olive Creek to Imbaimadai when the pilot radioed that he was experiencing engine failure and the plane was descending.

Discovery of Slater's body came less than one day after an aerial search team spotted the plane at 12:34 Sunday afternoon.

http://www.caribnewsdesk.com/news/72...lot-found-dead-in-wrecked-aircraft
All ah we is one family

GoAibusGo

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:21 pm

According to skyliner-aviation.de Insel Air wil receive a 7th MD-80 in February and 4 ex KLM Cityhopper F-70s in March.
They also mention the ex KLM Cityhopper PH-KZV is going to Blue Wings in Surinam. This aircraft already left the Cityhopper fleet recently and is now in Norwich - UK.

older news:
Tiara Air of Aruba is in financial difficulties due to the Venezuelan foreign currency exchange dilemma widely reported on this forum. Due to this they asked court protection from creditors and this protection was approved until March this year to sort out their financials. It is not looking good for them, I think.

That's all.

beeweel15

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 72):
Sad news
Canadian pilot, Blake Slater and the Guyanese Cargo Loader were Monday morning found dead among the wreckage of the single-engine aircraft that went down Saturday morning in dense jungle.

Truly sad. RIP

BW424
Topic Author

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 61):
If they axe the 767 what plans do they have to service their nonstop into GEO, especially out of BW doesn't seem to be handling their baggage well, based on FB complaints. Indeed some are even asking if using them for their liberal baggage poiicy makes sense if it means that bags are delayed.

A properly run airline isn't going to keep an aircraft in a loss making operation to satisfy one route or a variation of such. The 767 operation appears to be not financially prudent even with high yield GEO-JFK nonstops; hence, it is in BW's best interest to stop those nonstops until more capacle aircraft such as the 737MAX or A321NEO are on BW's radar. It's the same concept with LGW. LGW stand-alone may be a money making route against very specific operational advantages such as economies of scale in widebody operations and efficient crew RONs (something BW severely lacks). BA has a mini crew base in BGI which makes things a lot more efficient for them.

That said, remember the axeing of the 767 operation is simply a strong rumour. Nothing is set in stone and the 767s can well stay if politics play a huge role in the airline's direction.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 69):
As it is BW top brass are aware of the extremely negative perception in Guyana and also among Guyanese in Canada. Lets hope that whatever they do plan to do is good for BW, and also for its passengers bound to and originating in GEO, otherwise eventually others will jump in. The GEO runway is being lengthened.

For some reason, you keep chanting this "negative perception" Guyanese have of BW. Where that may hold true for some, BW runs a fairly efficient and reliable operation into GEO. Most if not all of my Guyanese friends may joke about BW's service from time to time (which can be sub-par at times, especially after the Nicholas/Moonan fiasco), but at the end of the day, they patronize the airline because it's the most reliable operation into GEO and they appreciate the history of BW from their parents concerning being the only airline willing to run scheduled service into GEO back in the day when GEO wasn't so profitable.

DL operated nonstops for more than 2 years into GEO. At that time, you were already preparing BW's grave on condition that they didn't retaliate with nonstops. Well, BW did not retaliate with nonstops and did just fine. That speaks volumes. If BW had such an "extremely negative perception", no matter what extortionist price DL would be charging, GEO pax would shift in droves temporarily to display their dissatisfaction. Like ex BW CEO Phillip Saunders stated; in the airline business, people vote with their feet and BW receives an overwhelming vote of confidence from Guyanese passengers which ofcourse is greatly appreciated.

The Guyanese passenger market is extremely important to BW. No one is disputing this. However, it is not greater in significance than BW's two other largest markets i.e. POS and KIN. All three are of equal critical importance to BW's long-term profitability, especially KIN at this time. Do not for one minute think that GEO deserves some special priority over BW's other profitable indigenous markets.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 69):
Only when EZjet entered and they feared market share loss did BW see fit to start such service.

This account can be disqualified for the mere fact that the airline was being run as if it were a parlour shop. This hugely immature competitive act was dictated by the chairman (Nicholas), not knowing its implications. I'm sure if the airline was still under prudent management, such an air-headed act would not have occurred.

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 72):
Sad news

Very sad news indeed. I have two friends flying with TGA and they're pretty devastated right now. Condolences to the family and friends of Captain Slater.

Quoting GoAibusGo (Reply 73):
According to skyliner-aviation.de Insel Air wil receive a 7th MD-80 in February and 4 ex KLM Cityhopper F-70s in March.

Seems Insel Air is moving in to cover the capacity DAE once had. Good for them and good for those needing jobs in the ABC!
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

2travel2know2

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:21 pm

The 738 has the ability to operate the GEO-JFK route nonstop fully loaded, but not GEO-YYZ.

BW B737-800 can't fly GEO-YYZ fully loaded because of aircraft range or of GEO runway length?

Compare with B737-800 longest route:
GEO (6°29'55"N 58°15'15"W) JFK (40°38'23"N 73°46'44"W) 340.1° (N) 2539 mi
GEO (6°29'55"N 58°15'15"W) YYZ (43°40'38"N 79°37'50"W) 336.5° (NW) 2870 mi
EZE (34°49'20"S 58°32'09"W) PTY (9°04'17"N 79°23'00"W) 331.7° (NW) 3313 mi
(data from www.gcmap.com)
I'm not on CM's payroll.

guyanam

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 pm

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...ines-apologises-to-Guyana_14912493

http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/20...orst-and-most-imcompetent-airline/

http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/20...an-airlines-have-us-where-it-hurts

/http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2010/03/10/we-need-to-open-up-the-competition-to-caribbean-airlines/

http://guyanapress.com/the-people-of...lines-caribbean-airlines-chairman/

Sir where Guyanese are concerned it is usually fly BW or swim. DL was always full so even when gthey flew there between 2008 and 2013 they weren't always an option.

Generally when there were 3 airlines on the JFK GEO route people did flee BW when it required the POS stop. Indeed I remember Aleong scoffing at them, and then his loads out of JFK tumbled.

Even CAL acknowledges that its service into GEO didn't meet expectations at times. It is to their detriment to develop even more frustration in a market which offers some of its highest yields. And where it has large market share and where there is a reluctance of major carriers to enter. This gives it a stronger position in the GEO to determine pricing than it has even in the case of POS. Who knows what impact B6 will have, especially without the fuel hedge buffer.

When a government is consistently hauling the various BW chairmen over the coals, clearly they are facing political pressure to do something about the JFK GEO route, which is important to Guyana for a whole multitude of reasons.

Also don't under estimate Travelspan and FlyJ. TS is about the only Caribbean VFR wholesaler left and Auntie Seeta and Mother Patsy still like to deal with humans. They learnt their lesson and are only slightly under cutting BW this time. They will be more formidable than EZ if BW messes up. If BW treats the market with respect they will keep their market, but if they create a frustrating experience.....they don't have as loyal a base as you might think among Guyanese. TS is hiring Guyanese and looking to expand.

Wasn't even on the forum when DL entered GEO so I really don't see how I could have predicted that their entry with nonstops would have driven out BW. did say however that DLs high fares and very limited capacity (average loads over around 90%, vastly higher than BWs) guaranteed that some would have to use BW, like it or not, and despite the complaints about POS.

[Edited 2014-01-20 16:11:51]

817Dreamliiner

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:11 pm

The Virgin Atlantic Airbus A330-300 (G-VNYC) which had the incident in St Lucia last month has returned to LGW overnight.

http://www.thevssource.com/virgin-at...-300-g-vnyc-returns-from-st-lucia/
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

yellowtail

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Looks like 9N is increasing RTB-BZE…guess bookings must be good. They don't usually increase that quickly.

It is up on their Facebook page now…..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tropic-Air-Belize/340653164591

yellowtail

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 pm

THis should make my friend Guyanam happy

The Panamanian based Copa Airlines has announced that it will begin service between Guyana and Panama and other connections from July of this year.

The airline will initially offer twice weekly service between Guyana and Panama. Passengers will be able to book connecting flights to other Copa destinations including New York, Miami, Washington, Los Angelas, Las Vegas and a number of other U.S Cities. Additionally, connecting flights to Toronto, Canada and Mexico will be offered.

http://newssourcegy.com/news/copa-ai...s-to-begin-guyana-service-in-july/

2travel2know2

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 80):
The Panamanian based Copa Airlines has announced that it will begin service between Guyana and Panama and other connections from July of this year.

CM never ceases to amaze.
GEO in CM network before BZE or BGI.
Surely CM was noticing the number of Guyanese passengers on CM POS flights for a while.
Don't see that many GEO-JFK/YYZ passengers flocking to fly via PTY, but there might be some taking advantage of GEO-MIA.
Hope CM announces another set of new destinations after Panamanian elections May 4th (If there's a change of government) and that among those BZE and BGI might show up. PTY-PBM, may take longer to happen.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

GUYAIR707

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 81):

Great news if accurate. Another option is always welcome.

GUYAIR707

yellowtail

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:26 pm

As a market GEO is tremendously underserved and so makes sense…especially if it means connections to anything other than the eastern seaboard of the USA. Also the number of Guyanese passports showing up at POS for CM was growing rapidly. Perhaps CM felt that is was a "moveable" enough of a market to make a 2Xweek work. There was just enough slack in the system that GEO was an ideal complement to FLL and YUL as all three combines use up less than one aircraft asset per week…essentially 3 for the price of one.

BZE and BGI time will come…soon. Those destinations warrant more than 2X so that may be part of the issue.

Surely CM was noticing the number of Guyanese passengers on CM POS flights for a while.

guyanam

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 pm

More Guyanese will travel to PTY, now that it will be easier. Also there are decent sized Guyanese populations in places like ATL and DC who will definitely want it. As of now they must fly to MIA on a US carrier and then switch to BW/PY, or use AA or UA to POS and then take BW.

Don't know that CM fares to YYZ/JFK will be all that competitive so its likely that people will stay with the existing carriers, unless they mess up.

I will expect this to remain at 2X as it is more of a niche market as the core remains YYZ/JFK/BGI/POS.

GUYAIR707

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 84):

POS-PTY-JFK are about $750 return in February, hopefully via GEO will not be much more. The flying times will be a determining factor. I saw 9 hours from POS, comparable to OJ from GEO-KIN-JFK. If I can visit PTY and get to JFK/GEO then why not go through PTY.

GUYAIR707

yellowtail

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:28 am

I think if you haven't been to PTY, you need to go….amazing place.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 84):
Also there are decent sized Guyanese populations in places like ATL and DC who will definitely want it

CM does not fly to ATL.

andrefranca

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 71):
Quoting yellowtail (Reply 79):
Looks like 9N is increasing RTB-BZE…guess bookings must be good. They don't usually increase that quickly.

See how things are, had to take a ferry and then a bus to SAP in order to fly to BZE, now 9N with multiple RTB flights! LOL.... 
Hope CM announces another set of new destinations after Panamanian elections May 4th (If there's a change of government) and that among those BZE and BGI might show up. PTY-PBM, may take longer to happen.

I'm still surprised to see GEO before than BGI or even PBM, IMHO CM is seeing the link to central/south america and US west coast...

Pretend a Guyanese is going to study/do business in EZE he must take a bus or fly to PBM, then fly to BEL then fly to GRU and finally EZE, with CM it will shoot straight to PTY possibly connecting in 40 minutes to maximum 3 hours in PTY down to EZE.

GUYAIR707

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:51 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 87):
I'm still surprised to see GEO before than BGI or even PBM, IMHO CM is seeing the link to central/south america and US west coast...

Apparently the GOG pursued them, but CM seems excited about GEO, or maybe it is required as a marketing tool. Wonder if it will be a 737NG or an E190.

GUYAIR707

2travel2know2

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:28 am

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 88):
Wonder if it will be a 737NG or an E190.

With the reputation the Guyanese have when flying back to GEO, bet CM will deploy B737NG and not E190 most of the time.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

turk223

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 am

I absolutely, completely, undoubtedly have given up ANY hope of CM starting a BGI service now... I selfishly am so disappointed (and sick of connecting through POS to get home to BGI from Colombia - costs $100s U.S. more than what I imagine would be a fare PTY - BGI, considering what the PTY - POS fare is, and I have had 10 hour layovers).

I'm going to bed now.

GUYAIR707

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:23 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 89):

Yeah I hear you. My wife is already screaming for us to fly via PTY.

GUYAIR707

[Edited 2014-01-23 21:25:01]

guyanam

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:04 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 89):

True because all the people who want to shop and cant get a US visa will be off to PTY. SXM will lose some of its business.

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 91):

I guess she heard about the shopping so doesn't mind if the airfare is higher. It would actually benefit CM if their fare allows a one day stop over.

Quoting turk223 (Reply 90):

Well I guess CM did their market and route analysis. Some have suggested that they noticed passengers from GEO boarding their POS flights. Maybe more from BGI should have done so. CM should do some decent business out of DC to GEO, as presently they have to change airlines, either at MIA or POS, and will welcome one airline and the fact that PTY is more intransit friendly than either MIA or POS. Ditto for people flying out of IAH and LAX,

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 88):

I think that BGI pursued them as well and might have even offered money. All Guyana did was remove visa requirements.

Apparently Guyanese were flying CM out of POS, and were noticed. Using PY via PBM to BEL and then trying to get to EZE from there is harsh.

andrefranca

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 am

According to my internal source in CM, GEO comes along FLL and YUL, is it true 2travel2know?

817Dreamliiner

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:48 am

Liat's Second ATR 42-600 V2-LIF MSN 1008, is now listed as delivered on planespotters.

yellowtail

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:54 pm

CM is seeing the link to central/south america and US west coast...

This was the deal maker.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 92):
True because all the people who want to shop and cant get a US visa will be off to PTY. SXM will lose some of its business.

The saying is that half of latin america shops in MIA, the other half shop in PTY. They will give up SXM in droves once they find out PTY.

I think that BGI pursued them as well and might have even offered money. All Guyana did was remove visa requirements.

I can assure you that BGI (and BZE) did more to solicit CM than GoG did. It is just that GEO had the aspect of being underserved from the US (unlike BGI or BZE). In CMs view, there was more immediate profit potential feeding GEO in N. America than feeding Latin America into BGI.

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 93):
ccording to my internal source in CM, GEO comes along FLL and YUL, is it true 2travel2know?

Yes

guyanam

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 95):

That makes perfect sense, though you ought to know that the frenzy of the Govt of GY might give another impression. As you know GY is run by clowns who have no idea how to speak to the outside world. They actually expect legions of Spanish speakers to suddenly descend on GEO! Why I don't know given that they haven't even developed a proper product and surely aren't selling into that market. Our racial politics has us in a real mess.

LimaFoxTango

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 94):
Liat's Second ATR 42-600 V2-LIF MSN 1008, is now listed as delivered on planespotters.

It will be in ANU Sunday, 26/1. That brings it to total of 6 ATR's, 4 -72s and 2-42s. LI also flies 4 Dash 8's in its schedule. The rest is parked in ANU earmarked for sale or return to lessors.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

2travel2know2

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Quoting turk223 (Reply 90):
sick of connecting through POS to get home to BGI from Colombia

I was surprised to see GEO before BZE and BGI, but probably it's true that CM sees BGI well connected with North America while GEO isn't really. Don't know the schedule, but I hope the connecting time for MDE-PTY-GEO/GEO-BGI will be less than via other airports.

I guess she heard about the shopping so doesn't mind if the airfare is higher. It would actually benefit CM if their fare allows a one day stop over.

CM does allow free stop-overs in PTY for passengers flying thru the hub. Airport user-fee and accommodation in Panama not included. Those trips most likely have to be booked via CM call-centre or travel agencies.

Using PY via PBM to BEL and then trying to get to EZE from there is harsh.

That's the easy way, the long way is bus to MAO and from MAO to EZE via GRU.

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 93):
According to my internal source in CM, GEO comes along FLL and YUL, is it true 2travel2know?

Yes, those 3 new CM destinations will be added at the same time.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 95):
They will give up SXM in droves once they find out PTY.

Please be aware, quite a number of people would understand English (not sure about the Guyanese accent) and that Spanish is what is spoken in Panama.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 96):
They actually expect legions of Spanish speakers to suddenly descend on GEO! Why I don't know given that they haven't even developed a proper product and surely aren't selling into that market.

I'd love to try the Guyanese rum on-site and see where the Guyanese had some good livestock. Some odd Latinamerican travellers may venture to visit Guyana.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 96):
That makes perfect sense, though you ought to know that the frenzy of the Govt of GY might give another impression. As you know GY is run by clowns who have no idea how to speak to the outside world. They actually expect legions of Spanish speakers to suddenly descend on GEO! Why I don't know given that they haven't even developed a proper product and surely aren't selling into that market. Our racial politics has us in a real mess.

What puzzles me is that GEO hasn't been loaded yet despite the announcement…..could there be a hiccup or perhaps even CM is pissed that GEO didn't keep the cat in the bag until a big announcement. Some airlines are like that…steal their thunder and they get real mad!

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 98):
Please be aware, quite a number of people would understand English (not sure about the Guyanese accent) and that Spanish is what is spoken in Panama.

I barely speak spanish and I have never had a problem in Panama…...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos