vhtje
Topic Author

Passengers Using Crew Seats

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:21 pm

Yesterday I flew AY82 from SIN to HEL in J. Great flight, great crew, great food.

About 30 minutes into the flight, two passengers (one male and one female) walked through the J cabin (I assume from Y, but they may have been from the smaller J cabin behind the mid-galley) into the forward galley at the front of the aircraft. They then settled down into the crew seats where they sat for the remainder of the flight. They only finally left the seats upon approach to HEL.

I was really surprised as this. I am not trying to be ageist, but they looked too old to be crew or employees - to my eyes at least, they looked to be of retirement age. Since I do not speak Finnish, I do not know what conversation they had with the crew - I cannot know if they were family of crew member, or were actually, despite appearances, non-revving AY employees - or what the story was. One of them saw my surprised face as she settled down (she was sitting in the crew seat opposite my seat at 2B) so closed the curtain for privacy.

During the flight, as I went to the loo, I noticed one of them had turned opposing crew rest seats at the FR door into a makeshift bed, complete with pillows and blankets from the J cabin. Upon my return from the loo, I asked the female if they had run out of seats. She just said yes, but clearly did not want to engage with me further, so I dropped it.

Questions:

1. Is this normal to have passengers use Crew seats?
2. Is this legal?
3. Why would they do this? Presumably they had assigned seats on the aircraft somewhere, since they used them for take off and landing - wouldn't these have been more comfortable than crew seats?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

nighthawk

RE: Passengers Using Crew Seats

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:21 pm

Quoting vhtje (Thread starter):

I wouldn't have thought it would be normal to have a passenger in a crew seat, certainly the passenger would not be too impressed at paying for a seat and being given a jumpseat. However depending on circumstances, they may just be glad to get a seat.

2. Is this legal?

I'm not sure about the legal perspective, but it would certainly not be normal to put a passenger in a crew seat. However the captain is ultimately responsible for the aircraft, and can assign the seats at his discretion (although again not normally to a passenger). Airline policy may also limit who can and cannot travel in these seats.

3. Why would they do this? Presumably they had assigned seats on the aircraft somewhere, since they used them for take off and landing - wouldn't these have been more comfortable than crew seats?

From personal experience, I once flew jumpseat, and was initially seated at a jumpseat in the middle of the aircraft, opposite the main galley for business class, mainly due to having a friend travelling in business class. After takeoff I was asked if I wanted to move up the first class cabin jumpseats, as the crew would be in and out of that galley all night, and therefore would keep getting disturbed all night. It may well be that this couple were also sat at another jumpseat for takeoff/landing.

EDIT: Also bear in mind that staff travel is not exclusively for airline employees, the relatives of an airline employee may also use staff travel. They may have been the parents of an employee.

[Edited 2014-01-07 05:26:44]

lucce

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:33 pm

Highly odd.
I do recall that when we sat at an emergency exit row on AY, the FA told that we could use her seat as a leg rest but should't sit on it so I'm guessing it's not allowed. Also, I'm under the impression that AY doesn't allow "jumpseating" (crew traveling as passengers on crew seats).

But on BA a cabin crew member offered her crew seat to my mother who had food poisoning so that she could be near the lavatories. A possible scenario could be that the aircraft was full and some passenger, possibly traveling with them, was feeling unwell and needed to lie down so they moved to a crew seat to allow the passenger to lie down on a row of seats.

yp6370

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:53 pm

If the flight was completely full they could have been parents of an employee or retired employees with an assigned jump seat (there usually are jump seats available which are not occupied by on duty crew).
If those jump seats are located e.g. in the galley, they can use them during takeoff/landing but not during the flight as the crew needs the space to work. So they are moved to other, more conveniently located jump seats but have to move back for landing as each occupied jump seat has an assigned F/A.

L1011Lover

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Quoting lucce (Reply 2):
Highly odd.

Actually it is not that odd at all.

Questions:

It is not "normal" for passengers to use crew seats. Passengers should only be in jump seats at the discretion of the crew. This is why you might see flight attendants telling people to stand up and go back to their assigned passenger seats, telling them they're not supposed to sit in jump seats. We don't want just any passenger sitting in our seats for several - as I tend to think obvious - reasons.

As a passenger you can never know if all the jump seats might be needed. Passengers don't know about the crew complement and flight attendants must be able to take their jump seats at any time during the flight for safety and security reasons.

Imagine the flight is hitting unexpected rough air, it is a full flight and the crew members are trying to get to the nearest jump seat only to find a 440lbs (about 200kg) guy sitting on one jump seat who felt it was more comfortable to sit there instead of being cramped in a middle seat and is now unwilling to move because of the turbulence. Happened to me! Not good at all!

Also these seats are completely different to normal passenger seats. The seat belts are different with shoulder harnesses and sometimes even different buckles, the life vest is a crew life vest which should only be worn by certified crew members and might also be stowed somewhere no normal passengers would ever think of, the oxygen might come from somwhere else than expected by passengers, we have emergency equipment stowed there to which we might need immediate access to.

For these obvious reasons we don't want anybody to sit in our seats without our explicit permission.

This doesn't mean that you'll never see a passenger in a jump seat. Jump seats might very well be assigned to passengers, but never without good reason.

2. Is this legal?

It is not illegal to have passengers sitting in a jump seat - again at discretion of the crew that is!

Several reasons why passengers might be occupying crew jump seats or might be moved there during the flight.

- dead-heading crew members (rarely as they usually sit in passenger seats, but it might be the case on full flights)

- non-reving airline employees, preferably flight attendants and pilots (including retirees) are assigned to these seats if the flight is full, however sometimes at the discretion of the Cpt. other employees/people might be sitting there as well - only of course if they qualify.

- In that case usually the Cpt. decides in consultation with the cabin crew who is allowed to sit there and if these people are not certified crew members they must be briefed and instructed by the flight attendants on certain features of the jump seat and its operation.

- family members and other aquaintances of the crew, travelling along with them on longer trips. This happens mostly during the busy holiday travel season. Shortly before Christmas airlines usually fly their normal schedules, then over the holidays they often reduce their capacity and number of flights often resulting in longer layovers for the crew - on which they take family with them - but also in heavy full flights. So you might see family and aquaintances of crew members sitting on jump seats. In that case these passengers might very well be moved from one jump seat to another after take-off. Let's take the A340/330 aircraft as an example. I'm not sure about AY's layout but most A340/330 aircraft have two jump seats bulkhead-mounted inside the rear galley. The flight attendants occupy the jump seats next to the doors for take-off and landing and depending on the layout of the cabin the two rear jump seats often stay free or on some versions only one is taken by a flight attendant for take-off and landing. So there is one (often two) additional jump-seats that must not be occupied by flight attendants during take-off and landing and can be given to non-revs. Then after take-off they will be moved out of the galley and out of the crews way to other jump seats.

- normal passengers with a medical condition might be moved to jump seats for treatment during flight - again that is at discretion of the crew.

You see, there are quite a few good reasons why "passengers" might be sitting in flight attendant jump seats. It doesn't happen all the time but it is not that rare or odd either. It's a standard procedure.

However I ask people not to sit in flight attendant jump seats without consulting the crew first and without a good reason. They're meant primarily for crew use and we might need them for our own safety and we need access to them at all times for everyone else's safety. If the seats are occupied at the discretion of the crew we know exactly who is sitting there, why they're sitting there and in which jump seats they're sitting, so in that case we also know where else to go should we have to.

Happy Flying and Best Regards

L1011Lover

StTim

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:54 pm

I have sat in crew seats at times during long flights - not being a good sleeper on the planes.

I see no issue if you are not in the way for passengers/crew.

I have not seen passengers allocated crew seating for the duration of the flight - ie I have never seen them occupied in such a way on take off or landing.

Dogbreath

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Most likely Staff travel. Was the plane full? In which case airline members on staff travel entitlements are offered cabin crew jump seats. Done it many times, when I've just had to be in a certain destination. Not pretty, but gets you there.
Truth, Honour, Loyalty

catiii

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:52 pm

Define a "crew seat." Do you mean the crew rest seats on, say, a TATL 757? or the F/A jump seat by the door.

2. Is this legal?

Absolutely. I believe that non-revving or deadheading F/A's can use the F/A jump seat if it's available. I've also personally been in BusinessFirst on a TATL UA/CO 757, and was seated next to the pilot rest seat. I had the aisle and they were using the window for the rest seat, so we swapped seats so that they could come and go easily without having to crawl over me.

Could be they were deadheading in the aft F/A jump seat, and moved to the forward one so as not to block the galley if the F/As were running a service.

anstar

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 7):

Could be they were deadheading in the aft F/A jump seat, and moved to the forward one so as not to block the galley if the F/As were running a service.

I'd say this is the most likely reason. It is common for the 2 rear jumpseats to be opened up for Staff travel purposes. To avoid getting in the way of crew, those pax are then relocated to the fwd jumpseats and then returned to the rear galley for landing.

b727fa

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 4):
This doesn't mean that you'll never see a passenger in a jump seat. Jump seats might very well be assigned to passengers, but never without good reason.

From a US crew perspective: a PAX will never be "assigned" a crew seat (as in a jumpseat) for ANY reason. Will a pax ever sit in a jumpseat? Perhaps, IF, for example (depending on the airline) it is a full flight, there is an incapacitated FA and an ABP is briefed on the exit/responsibilities the might sit there for landing.

The other possible answer would be this: on some a/c there are seats that on med/long haul flights there are seats that can be used for crew rest (may or may not look different from regular pax seats) or on short haul flights can be assigned to pax.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

Iksu

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm

I can tell you that at Finnair it is absolutely forbidden to use jump seats for customers. All customers must have assigned normal seat for take off and landing. Jump seats are only allowed for staff travel. Mostly only Finnair staff but sometimes the pilot accepts other airline staff travelers as well and jump seats are not restricted only to pilots or cabin crew when they are on leisure travel. This is also very common, jump seats are used like this every day. Usually different seats are used during flight versus taxi/take off/landing to minimize the trouble for the operating crew during service.

L1011Lover

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 7):
Define a "crew seat." Do you mean the crew rest seats on, say, a TATL 757? or the F/A jump seat by the door.

It was obvious that he was talking about jump seats and not normal passenger seats designated/blocked off for crew rest.

Quoting B727FA (Reply 9):
From a US crew perspective: a PAX will never be "assigned" a crew seat (as in a jumpseat) for ANY reason. Will a pax ever sit in a jumpseat? Perhaps, IF, for example (depending on the airline) it is a full flight, there is an incapacitated FA and an ABP is briefed on the exit/responsibilities the might sit there for landing.

True, that US carriers don't assign "normal" passengers to jump seats. European carriers don't do it either. There is a so called jump seat list and it's at the Cpt's discretion who can occupy it.

I've worked for both for US carriers and European carriers and both take jump seaters on flight attendant jump seats if they qualify. US carriers are a lot more strict on the jump seat issue that's true. I never said that these seats are assigned to normal full fare paying passengers but to non-revs. And both US as well as European carriers do it. A non-rev is still a "passenger" and not a working crew member.

Also, every airline has different rules on jump seat use. Some are more relaxed than others, European airlines often differ from US carriers... I've worked for three carriers and all had different rules and regulations on the subject.

One airline did not even allow pilots in cabin jump seats while non-reving. Pilots were to take cockpit jump seats (if available at all) while flight attendants were only allowed to take cabin jump seats. It may vary from airline to airline.

[Edited 2014-01-07 10:10:04]

malaysia

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Well in the USA, jumpseats (empty) are often only permitted to flight crew deadhead or dispatch, once in a while I saw a Mechanic get a jumpseat in back once, I also think B6 had this practice for regular staff, my coworker got a jumpseat on KL once on LAX-AMS.

But it really is not an allocated seat with Us carriers often for normal non-rev.

but when they left seats before approach, did a FA take over that jumpseat?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

sccutler

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Heh.

When my family and I flew LAX-PPT a few years back, Air Tahiti Nui, there was a revenue passenger in the aft jumpseat, right side (facing the lav door). The whole way.

Don't know the story, but she was Not Amused. I believe it involved overbooking and a "must-make" event.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

catiii

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 11):
It was obvious that he was talking about jump seats and not normal passenger seats designated/blocked off for crew rest.

It wasn't obvious. Thanks for your comments though.

toobz

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:42 pm

At DL nobody other than authorized staff are allowed to occupy a jump seat. Having interned for AY as well, have to say it is rather odd. Sounds like either employee or family of that got an ok from the lead cabin attendant once on the aircraft.
And as far as regular jumps seats go.. They are not comfortable at all. Can't imagine a revenue pax made to sit in one for the whole flight.

L1011Lover

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 14):
It wasn't obvious. Thanks for your comments though.

Well to me it was abvious what he was talking about. May I quote:

into the forward galley at the front of the aircraft. They then settled down into the crew seats where they sat for the remainder of the flight.

There are no passenger seats (used as crew rest seats) in the galley. There are only jump seats in the galley.

One of them saw my surprised face as she settled down (she was sitting in the crew seat opposite my seat at 2B) so closed the curtain for privacy.

Opposite his seat 2B indicates that he is talking about a jump seat, as a passenger seat used for crew rest would be across the aisle and not opposite his seat. Still it could be misinterpreted that's true, but I don't think that AY has designated crew rest seats in the middle of the J Class cabin.

During the flight, as I went to the loo, I noticed one of them had turned opposing crew rest seats at the FR door into a makeshift bed, complete with pillows and blankets from the J cabin.

Now that is the part that makes it a bit confusing I admit! As he's talking about "crew rest seats", still he refers to seats that are facing each other (opposing) at the FR door (I suppose he means Forward Right door, which would be 1R) which makes me jump to the conclusion that he refers to jump seats at door 1R.

Come on, let's face it and be honest. It was more than obvious what he was talking about. Don't you think?  

brilondon

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:21 pm

If the flight is full, would the seats designated as crew rest seats not be available for fare paying passengers? Don't most flights that are over night have crew rest facilities in areas restricted for crew only? I have seen back a few years ago on an AA flight back in the economy section that the cabin crew slept in the bulkhead area restricted to crew only, but I may have been mistaken.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

trex8

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:30 pm

40 years ago my dad got into a SQ jumpseat . He was desperate to get to SIN from JKT and this was the last flight out that night. During WW2 he flew with CNAC over the hump. Some of the Chinese pilots with CNAC ended up in Singapore post war including one who became the SQ chief 747 pilot. There was a Flying Tigers/CNAC reunion where dads SQ pilot friend introduced him to the SQ CEO who happened to be in town for some other function and he gave dad his business card with a handwritten note on it. For some reason he kept it in his wallet and it became very useful few years later when he flashed it at the SQ check in desk!! The CSA was very impressed he knew the CEO and had flown with the chief pilot in the war and let him on the plane in the jumpseat.

He also got to fly in the jumpseat in the cockpit on more than one Flying Tiger Line flight as he was often the FO on those hump missions to the guy Dick Rossi who founded Flying Tiger.

I don't think either activity would be legal these days!! Probably wasn't legal then either!

Wingtips56

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:32 pm

There is a difference between jumpseats and normal cabin seats reserved for crew rest. I don't know if it is still current practice at AA or not (I retired in 2009), but they used to have some passenger seats designated on long-haul flights for crew rest .... a guaranteed F seat for pilots when a third pilot is required, though the seat would be available to sell on shorter flights without the third pilot. And there were other cabin seats held for flight attendant rest (you can't rest on an ironing board jumpseat), that could only otherwise be assigned to -revenue- passengers (not non-rev/staff) in the event they were the last available seats on a completely full aircraft. ....that was a union contract item.

But the jumpseat policy held that only cockpit-qualified AA/oal staff could take a cockpit jumpseat, and only a qualified off-duty or dead-head F/A could use an available cabin jumpseat when not assigned to working crew. They are considered additional crew members in the event of emergency. Another employee (ticket agent or whatever) could never ride in a jumpseat. I had co-workers tell of riding jumpseat on non-U.S. airlines, but never on AA.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

L1011Lover

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 17):
If the flight is full, would the seats designated as crew rest seats not be available for fare paying passengers? Don't most flights that are over night have crew rest facilities in areas restricted for crew only? I have seen back a few years ago on an AA flight back in the economy section that the cabin crew slept in the bulkhead area restricted to crew only, but I may have been mistaken.

There are usually no crew rest seats blocked off on a/c with crew rest facilities in restricted crew areas. Designated crew rest seats are usually only used on a/c without crew rest facilities. In that case, even if the flight is fully booked to capacity the crew rest seats are blocked for crew use. As far as I know - at least with the airlines I have/had insight to - reservations/check-in don't have any access to these seats. They're simply not for sale.

toobz

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:02 pm

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 20):

That is correct L1011. Not for sale and not meant for anyone other than crew to sit in. Back when I was younger and flying nonrev when one of my parents was working the flight, I was able to sit in the crew rest seats that were reserved and had to get up when one of the pilots came out on his rest. I'd just hang out with the FAs in the galley while being fed nonstop or sit on a jump seat until the pilot went back to the flight deck. That wouldn't happen anymore though. The good ol eighties..

Jetstar315

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:38 am

The most important thing to remember is that the Crew seats must be available to all cabin crew at all times, in case of sudden turbulence etc. The crew need to have access to their seats immediately, and if passengers are sitting in them, they are just putting themselves (and possibly other crew/passengers) in extreme danger of being injured by not being strapped in. I was a Cabin Manager with a highly reputable airline for almost 25 years, and there were many occasions in that time, that I need to be seated without delay, in order not to be hurt by turbulence. Any good crew member would insist that passengers occupy their allocated seat whenever they don't need to be standing or walking through the cabin.

airbuster

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 am

Whenever I am traveling non rev and am assigned a jump seat I put on my airline badge exactly for the reason the OP mentioned. If people have questions then they will see my XXX airline badge and understand I am sitting there with a reason.

Some crew seats are a better ride than an economy seat. You don't get IFE but hey, I've always got a book and a iPad when traveling.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

BMED

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 am

In my airline passengers using crew seats is a no. We will let them sit on one during the flight if they aren't feeling well or coming to talk to the crew in the galley but if the seatbelt sign is on etc then they must be in a passenger seat.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

CRJ900

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:16 am

Quoting BMED (Reply 24):
In my airline passengers using crew seats is a no. We will let them sit on one during the flight if they aren't feeling well or coming to talk to the crew in the galley but if the seatbelt sign is on etc then they must be in a passenger seat.

Same policy where I work.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

brilondon

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 am

Quoting toobz (Reply 21):

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 20):

That is correct L1011. Not for sale and not meant for anyone other than crew to sit in. Back when I was younger and flying nonrev when one of my parents was working the flight, I was able to sit in the crew rest seats that were reserved and had to get up when one of the pilots came out on his rest. I'd just hang out with the FAs in the galley while being fed nonstop or sit on a jump seat until the pilot went back to the flight deck. That wouldn't happen anymore though. The good ol eighties..

Ok thanks for that, but I have a question. Are we talking about seats in the general passenger cabin or are we talking about the seats that the FAs sit on with the three point harness and fold down from the bulkhead by the door?
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

vhtje
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 am

Quoting brilondon (Reply 26):
Ok thanks for that, but I have a question. Are we talking about seats in the general passenger cabin or are we talking about the seats that the FAs sit on with the three point harness and fold down from the bulkhead by the door?

Just to clarify: the seats I mean are the seats that the FAs sit on with the three point harness and fold down from the bulkhead by the door

I was not referring to crew rest seats.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

lapper

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:07 pm

I think half the people that have commented on this thread have missed the point that the passengers came through to the crew seats/jumps seats during the flight, therefore they had seats that there were sitting in for take off and presumably would move back to for landing.

woodentom

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:38 pm

this may be slightly off topic but i had a similar experience on finnair HEL to BKK in 2010

my wife and I were sat in a three seat set waiting for boarding completion when a lady and her 4 yr old son came to sit down...in the 1 seat. she said she was Finnair staff and her family were on the flight but as it was full and there was only 1 seat left for her. she pleased asked me not to say anything to the crew and basically she was getting a freeby.

after an hour of 4 people being crammed into 3 seats i had had enough so went to sit on a crew seat. i managed 30 mins before being told to move, then sat on the floor for a bit and eventually I had to stand.

i think this lady knew i was increasingly frustrated by the situation and spoke to the crew who i assume she know pretty well and they took her and her son to the business class area of the plane.

i didn't see them again but couldn't believe Finnair actually allowed this to happen in the first place.

AADC10

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:58 pm

I am still not clear if the OP was referring to a crew rest seat or a FA jumpseat. If the passengers were an older couple, they could be retirees or relatives of the crew that were placed in the crew rest seats for the part of the flight where no one was scheduled to rest.

Quoting malaysia (Reply 12):
But it really is not an allocated seat with Us carriers often for normal non-rev.

Jumpseats can usually only be used by inflight trained personnel. Sometimes if the flight is full the jumpseat might be occupied by an off duty FA out of uniform, possibly even from another airline. If the people looked too old, they could just be AA FAs flying jumpseat.

mandala499

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:23 pm

(she was sitting in the crew seat opposite my seat at 2B)

2B or 2A or 2C? There are no "B" seats in Finnair A330 and A340 in J or Y in any of the various configs... left side of the left aisle is A & C if I remember correctly... on the single seat in the row it's A, and yes, 2A... but then, seatguru may have it wrong... (never flew AY so I dunno)...

Could be anything really... anything from non-rev to retires to auditors (if the unions allow it!    ) for all I know...
They could be there for whatever they can have in the galley... (Just like the "galley parties" in rearmost Y galley in the old days in it's neighbouring airline on the DC-10 and 767s...    Yes, these things can make the time go by and you won't care that it's a jumpseat... or galley floor)....
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

SIA747Megatop

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 pm

On medium/long haul SQ flights I often spend my time chatting with the crew after meal services and am usually asked to sit with them in the galley in one of the crew seats whilst I'm with them.
"I do not yet know of a man who became a leader as a result of having undergone a leadership course." - Lee Kuan Yew

b727fa

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:36 pm

I think the biggest issue here is people are using terms related to their vocabulary of origin. Crew Seats = Jump Seat; Crew Rest Seats = "regular" pax seats blocked for Crew Rest (on some flights).

At DL there are 1) jumpseats (crew only), 2) pax seats/crew rest seats (can be sold/blocked on certain flights) and 3) crew rest/crew rest seats that are never sold regardless of flight.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

toobz

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:58 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 26):

I was referring to the two seats in business that were blocked as crew rest seats. So just normal J seats. But when the pilot came on his break I would sit on the jump seat (3 point harness).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos