Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

traindoc
Topic Author

Good Deed By TSA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:23 pm

TSA gets a very bad rap here at A.net. Here is a "ggod rap" for TSA. On the 13th, my wife and I travelled ZRH-IAD-SAT on United. After going thru Customs at IAD, we went thru the TSA re screening checkpoint in Terminal C. Unfortunately, I left my travel wallet in the plastic bin. In this wallet were our passports, our Global Entry cards, our boarding passes, my 1K card and my United Club card. Only when we got to our connecting gate in Terminal D did I realize my mistake.

So I left my wife at the gate and hustled back to Terminal C. While looking for the escalator to go back to the Customs/TSA area, I saw 2 TSA agents coming toward me. I asked them how to get back to the security checkpoint and they asked me if I was Mr. Van Cleave. They had found my travel wallet and were on their way to our departure gate in Terminal D to return my lost wallet! Now that is exemplary service, and deserves to be recognized!

northstardc4m

RE: Good Deed By TSA

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:14 pm

The TSA does get understandably a bad rap as do most authority groups, but I have seen them do things like you experienced many times, and many more times hear over the PA "Attention someone has left *item* at the TSA checkpoint, if you are missing *item* please return to the TSA checkpoint to retrieve it", and also seen agents call after people forgetting items if they see it, including once to myself when i forgot my earbuds. I think all in all most TSA agents try to make flying as hassle free as they can, it's just those
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

tommy1808

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:17 pm

And that is a good deed? That is normal behavior happening all over the planet every day. It is nice, but it is what one would expect. But nice to hear that there are normal people working in the whole TSA/customs/immigration apparatus. ....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

sandyb123

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 2):

And that is a good deed? That is normal behavior happening all over the planet every day. It is nice, but it is what one would expect. But nice to hear that there are normal people working in the whole TSA/customs/immigration apparatus. ....

Yeah but don't forget you're talking about America! Previously the world leader of customer service, nowadays they shoot you and then ask questions. Luckily we don't have this culture in Europe / rest of western world.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

tommy1808

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 3):
Luckily we don't have this culture in Europe / rest of western world.

It amazes me every-time how communist china customs and immigration officers can make you more welcome than their US counterparts. ....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

tyler81190

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 4):
It amazes me every-time how communist china customs and immigration officers can make you more welcome than their US counterparts. ....

Agreed. Pretty much every country I have been to has a nicer immigration experience than the USA. Japan, with the security people helping you wearing white gloves, folding your coats in the bins etc.

Switzerland is always a breeze, and even Australia which considering the amount of illegal immigration they are battling has found a way to be nice while being thorough.

DariusBieber

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Pretty sad to see that this is considered a nice deed. The TSA is really one of the worst organizations ever made.

They pretty much had to do what they did. They cannot hold on to anyone's passport. They cannot take your passport from you. The passport doesn't belong to you, it is property of your respective government. If the agents held on to your passport, they would be breaking a federal law.

[Edited 2014-01-17 15:46:10]
Aerospace Engineering student

PanAm788

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:37 am

I've found that at smaller, southern airports, the TSA isn't bad at all and even better than the Securitas agents in Europe who seem pretty indifferent about the whole process. Of course at big airports like JFK and ORD its a different story, but I've flown through airports like GSO where the agents were downright friendly and the security process was (dare I say) pleasant. Every experience is different and it's nice to hear that the TSA has at least some minimum level of customer service.

kevi747

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:29 am

You're joking, right? Your BAA security nazis make our TSA "officers" look like friendly Girl Scouts. But if you're talking about our Customs and Immigration officers then I wholeheartedly agree. In the USA we have the rudest, surliest customs people on the planet. They're all a bunch of miserable wannabe cops who HATE people. It's embarrassing.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

YYZatcboy

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:03 am

Quoting kevi747 (Reply 8):
But if you're talking about our Customs and Immigration officers then I wholeheartedly agree. In the USA we have the rudest, surliest customs people on the planet. They're all a bunch of miserable wannabe cops who HATE people. It's embarrassing.

It's funny. The nicest CBP officers I have found are in Canada at the pre clearance stations. (one very nice officer in BOS the one time I went through there too). I wonder if living in Canada makes them friendlier.  

To those saying "what good deed": I think they went above and beyond by coming to find him, not making him come back to the checkpoint.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

Newark727

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:08 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 2):

People who do a good job are worth calling out just like people doing a bad job are, IMO. I've had a variety of TSA experiences - usually indifference, often mild friendliness, nothing too terrible. Once when I was showing them my photo ID the officer reminded me that my driver's license was a month away from expiring, which at least shows that she was paying some attention.

I'd say European customs and security officers seemed slightly chattier/more friendly, but some of that is probably a luxury of a relatively light period in terms of passengers coming through.

JAAlbert

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:57 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 4):

Uh, really? I dunno, maybe I get lucky, but I can't recall an unpleasant customs or TSA official in my travels. Of course, I'm an easy going person maybe it rubs off on the officials. Maybe they're nicer in San Diego.

Quoting DariusBieber (Reply 6):
Pretty sad to see that this is considered a nice deed. The TSA is really one of the worst organizations ever made.

Oh come on now! I think the US House of Representatives is a much worse organization. As for the TSA agents, they could have sent the belongings to lost-and-found and required that the passenger hunt his property down. These agents went and found him. Maybe they don't deserve sainthood, but it's refreshing and a relief when you realize that somebody is looking out for you and cared enough to put in a scooch of extra effort.

AR385

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:07 am

Previously the world leader of customer service

And this was when exactly? Over which period?

About a year ago I went to a mall, close by to get something. I purchased it. I got home. Later on the bell rang. I didn´t go to see who it was. Afterwards my brother told me a young lady had come over to deliver my wallet that she found lying in said mall. She saw my home address in my Driver´s License and came over. No cash was missing.

Good people are everywhere. It´s just that the bad apples ruin for everybody and a clear example of that is the TSA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos