Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

apfpilot
Topic Author

Pax Allowed To Board After Pipe Bomb In Luggage

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:25 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-murphy-by-airport-guard-1.2497650

Fair Use: A Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) guard who seized a pipe bomb from a man at Edmonton International Airport tried to give it back to him, CBC News has learned.

Skylar Vincent Murphy, 18, of Spruce Grove, Alta., was allowed to get on a flight at Edmonton International Airport on Sept. 20 after he was caught with a pipe bomb by security.

The device was about 15 centimetres long and five centimetres in diameter with screws at both sides. A three-metre-long fuse ran through the device, which was filled with gunpowder.

cal764

RE: Pax Allowed To Board After Pipe Bomb In Luggage

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Okay now this is really bad..You would think on day one of training for becoming a security agent at an airport that if you discover something like this DON'T try to give it back to the guy! And he was allowed to board the plane..appauling.

boeingrulz

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:15 pm

In the US, and I am sure in Canada, the moment a transportation officer discovers an explosive it becomes a law enforcement matter. No exceptions.

tyler81190

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:15 pm

wow... just wow... Really?

nutsaboutplanes

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:35 pm

I saw this on A4A smartbrief this morning while going through security......this one will be tough to explain and unfortunately may impact the progress that is being made to consider Canadian screening as sufficient for US bound passengers and Cargo.

Hope we get to see the final report that details the error chain.......

tyler81190

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Quoting nutsaboutplanes (Reply 4):
Hope we get to see the final report that details the error chain.......

I think the most immediately glaring issue was the failure to report.

then you have: trying to give it back to the kid, allowing him to check in for the return to Canada, not calling the police when originally discovered during screening, allowing him to board the flight to begin with before extensive questioning.

I am flabbergasted, and I don't use that term lightly.

srbmod

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm always a bit puzzled when someone gets caught at an airport security checkpoint with something they're not supposed to have and say "they forgot about it". Was this guy just blindly throwing stuff into the bag, as a pipe bomb isn't exactly something that wouldn't escape my attention when packing a bag. A knife, yeah I could see overlooking something like that, but a pipe bomb? Now if we were talking about one of the training devices that seem to get through security screenings from time to time, it would be an entirely different matter.

While we're at it, are the hiring standards in Canada for airport security that lax? If so, I know a few friends in Alberta that might be ideal candidates.......   

A guy has a pipe bomb and isn't immediately arrested and the airport isn't evacuated? Is this guy the head of airport security at YEG:

[Edited 2014-01-20 14:49:33]

tyler81190

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 6):
Is this guy the head of airport security at YEG:

Must be... haha

CdnCactus

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 pm

It's CATSA. Sometimes I wonder if they have any hiring standards.

Viscount724

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:24 am

Was this guy just blindly throwing stuff into the bag, as a pipe bomb isn't exactly something that wouldn't escape my attention when packing a bag.

He said he and a friend made the bomb and were planning on setting it off, probably in a remote area. He said he put the bomb in his camera bag since he was planning to take photos of the bomb detonation attempt. He said that when packing for the trip to Mexico with his family he put the camera bag in his carry-on, and forgot the bomb was inside until it was found at the security check. Even the police admit he had a shocked reaction when it was discovered. From what I've read I think his story sounds believable. I expect the one-year suspended sentence and $600 in fines were enough to teach him a lesson. The problem is more with the CATSA security procedures than with him.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...e-bomb-on-plane-rcmp-say-1.2499162

srbmod

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:01 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 9):

Gee this camera bag feels awfully heavy..... There was a seven month time span between the pipe bomb being left in the camera bag and the incident at YEG. It never occurred to him to even take the pipe bomb out of the bag and perhaps put it somewhere a bit safer. This guy doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed.

prosa

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:36 am

I'm always a bit puzzled when someone gets caught at an airport security checkpoint with something they're not supposed to have and say "they forgot about it". Was this guy just blindly throwing stuff into the bag, as a pipe bomb isn't exactly something that wouldn't escape my attention when packing a bag. A knife, yeah I could see overlooking something like that, but a pipe bomb?

I would imagine that it's illegal to make or possess a pipe bomb in the first place. It's not like he had something prohibited from aircraft but otherwise legal, such as a knife or a licensed firearm.

JAAlbert

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:45 am

Was this guy just blindly throwing stuff into the bag, as a pipe bomb isn't exactly something that wouldn't escape my attention when packing a bag.
Quoting srbmod (Reply 10):
It never occurred to him to even take the pipe bomb out of the bag and perhaps put it somewhere a bit safer.

Who builds a pipe bomb just for fun?

Skydrol

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:40 am

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 12):

I thought this was a common thing to do when 15 years old...

LD4

skywaymanaz

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:59 am

Can't say I'm really surprised by the actions of CATSA unfortunately. We've got the screeners so brainwashed into looking for water bottles, toothpaste and shampoo they don't know how to react to a genuine threat. At least it wasn't TSA that screwed up but CATSA oversees private screeners instead of employing them directly. I can see TSA spin saying this is a reason why we should not have private screeners. Lest we forget TSA didn't really do any better with federal employee screeners at LGA last year where they left a suspected pipe bomb unguarded on top of a heating vent for several hours and through a shift change without notifying anyone either.

United787

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 14):
We've got the screeners so brainwashed into looking for water bottles, toothpaste and shampoo they don't know how to react to a genuine threat.

Kind of like this great scene from the movie Airplane?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHZISoNlqAA

skywaymanaz

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:05 pm

You left out the best part, what the nude-o-scope scanners were showing. Only thing about that scene they got wrong with airport security today was the screener armed and threatening granny with his gun .I'd like to hope that would never happen but it is kind of scary how right they got that scene. I wish I was joking  

AustrianZRH

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Dumb teenagers all over the place. I know several who did, although I never did it myself. Thankfully, noone I know got injured during their folly...

atpg5

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:32 pm

The agent asked the passenger "Would you like fries with that?" as he tried to return his item.
This isn't rocket surgery!

[Edited 2014-01-21 09:39:59]

falstaff

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Lots of teens. I did it, as did many friends of mine. We loved blowing stuff up and playing with fireworks. We would blow them up in the creek bed that ran behind my parent's house. A buddy of mine, who is 36, and his 68 year old father, love to make explosive devices and set them off in the pond at their farm for the 4th of July. It is always good fun and everyone at the party loves it.

par13del

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 20):
Lots of teens. I did it, as did many friends of mine.

Questions are:
1. Is the pipe bomb illegal
2. Is the pipe bomb illegal in Canada

Yea a lot of teens do illegal things including smoke weed, use other drugs, under age drinking etc. etc. but how many when caught by the autohrities are told its ok, nothing to see here, move along.

The screener may not have the power of arrest but one would assume that a part of his training was to know illegal items which require law enforcement personnel.
This fella just enhanced the image of Rent A Cops, negatively as usual  

Viscount724

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:08 am

Recent (January 21) news upddate:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ican-authorities-by-rcmp-1.2504508

Excerpts:

The RCMP say they alerted all appropriate authorities, including Mexican airport officials, about Canadian teenager Skylar Murphy, who had been allowed to board a flight to Mexico after surrendering to security a pipe bomb at Edmonton International Airport.

The RCMP said they acted immediately once they were told about the pipe bomb. But the Mounties decided to allow Murphy to finish holidaying with his family in Mexico before arresting him on his return to Edmonton on Sept. 27.

“Many security measures were taken to ensure that Mr. Murphy’s return travel to Canada was safe for all of those involved,” the RCMP said, adding that “it was imperative to the RCMP investigation that Mr. Murphy return to Canada, so he could be arrested and face charges stemming from this incident.”

Sources with direct knowledge of Murphy’s arrest said the teenager was apprehended by a large contingent of RCMP officers, which included a SWAT team, bomb squad and an explosives-sniffing dog.

In their statement, the RCMP said: “Two plain-clothed RCMP officers were dispatched, and once Mr. Murphy was cleared for re-entry by the Canada Border Services Agency at Edmonton International Airport, he was apprehended and taken to Leduc Detachment without incident.”

An RCMP spokesperson did not respond to requests to clarify whether the plainclothes officers were dispatched to Mexico, or simply the Edmonton airport.

Court transcripts show RCMP investigators believed Murphy’s story that he and a friend had made a pipe bomb to blow up a shed for fun. Murphy was going to photograph the explosion and had placed the pipe bomb in his camera bag before forgetting it there.

A screener operating a scanning machine noticed something suspicious in Murphy’s bag. Inexplicably, at least three security personnel did not recognize it was a pipe bomb. Several people who subsequently saw the device told CBC News it looks exactly like a pipe bomb.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos