Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Bad News - Snow Grounds Some LON-NYC Flights

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:27 pm

Here in the UK BA has cancelled all flights to JFK after 2pm local.
http://www.britishairways.com/rtad/travel/public/en_gb

Is it gonna be That Bad? Local advise pls.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

flyby519

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Up to 12" snow from DC-BOS, gusty winds, cold temps. 2,500 cancellations so far through this area.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:46 pm

It's going to snow here in NYC for almost 24 hours straight with the result being over a foot on the ground in some places. We're gearing up for a decent storm.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Art at ISP

RE: Bad News - Snow Grounds Some LON-NYC Flights

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:54 pm

It started much earlier than predicted, just after 8AM here in NY. I'm scheduled on a 4:45 pm flight from JFK tomorrow, which is still operating at this time. I think it might end sooner than forecast as well, but the way it's coming down now, we might get a few inches more than originally forecast.

Good luck to everyone and if you have to be out in this please be safe.

B6JFKH81

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Quoting Art at ISP (Reply 3):
It started much earlier than predicted, just after 8AM here in NY.

Yes, I was expecting around noon and looked out my window at work near FRG at a little after 8 and there was a dusting already!!!

The temperature also started dropping like a rock. Just like the last storm, with temps this cold the snow is going to be light, fluffy, and a pain in the butt should there be any wind since it'll easily blow all over the place. On the plus side it'll be easy to dig my car out tomorrow before work LOL!! It took me 15 minutes last time because the snow was so light and fluffy, it was awesome!

With temps not breaking the freezing mark for at least the rest of this week, this snow will be sticking around for a while. Be safe all, I am hearing the roads are really bad already. I'm not looking forward to my commute home.

Some reports are indicating we might get Thundersnow tonight too once the storm is at its peak, haven't seen that in a while.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Jerseyguy

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 1):
Up to 12" snow from DC-BOS, gusty winds, cold temps. 2,500 cancellations so far through this area.

Ok, I'll be the first to say it, they seem to be proactively canceling more flights now then the last storm we had, I'll assume the culprit is the new pilot rest rules (FAR 117).

flyingthe757

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:59 pm

I was on a conference call with a colleague in the US earlier. She said the snow was already falling, not straight down, but sideways due to the wind. We checked the temp, and with windchill it was -16. Her office was closing earlier due to the Long Island something properly closing early due to the weather.

Hopefully it all calms down soon

Flying Belgian

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:20 pm

I'm in Long Beach near JFK, very very heavy snowfalls here.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

flyby519

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Quoting Jerseyguy (Reply 5):

Agreed

skyhigh777

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:45 pm

My family lives in DC and that area is getting hit pretty hard right now too.

I'm looking out the window of my office here in NYC and it's been snowing very hard since around 10:30 am. Bigger storm than they may have anticipated with really cold temps.

eastern747

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Just talked my cousin in Baltimore, and he sez it's no big deal. He's in his 70s and said he went outside with a leaf blower, cleared his sidewalk , the car, and even his neighbors, too. He said it's the light fluffy stuff, and not that heavy wet snow that is alot harder to deal with. I think this country is turning into and bunch of wimps....it's Winter, it Snows, get over it........

B6JFKH81

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:51 pm

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 10):
He said it's the light fluffy stuff, and not that heavy wet snow that is alot harder to deal with.

....until the wind picks up and blows it right back. Heavy, wet snow, while a bitch to shovel, doesn't blow around as much as this stuff. This stuff will be a pain tomorrow when the winds pick up (last I checked there is a potential of guts up to 40mph tomorrow) and blows all the light powder back to everything that has been cleared. Considering it will barely be in the teens tomorrow, whatever blows will stick/cover.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

pzurita1

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:18 am

I have been lucky as my incoming flight from ATL and my departing flight to KEF were OK, though delayed.
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

steeler83

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 am

I'm heading from Philadelphia 30th Street Station (ZFV) up to EWR with my wife for our flight to Jacksonville. We're hoping everything should be ok for our 6pm departure tomorrow...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

polnebmit

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 am

This may be a little off-topic but still related to snow storm Janus that's pounding us here in NYC. I noticed in the SIA website they had an alert that fight SQ25 JFK-FRA was cancelled. However in FA it's tracking that the flight took off and is enroute. Interestingly, it states that it took off 1 hour before scheduled flight time. Are they just shuttling the aircraft back to FRA empty?

eastern747

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:15 am

The fluffy stuff has little water content (thus not heavy) but the problem is when the temperatures fall the water turns to ice. The cities put chemicals and salt to melt the snow but given it gets super cold. the melted stuff turns to ice too. Called Black ice because you can't see it. Bad news......

KirkSeattle

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:39 am

Spoke with my family on Long Island (Huntington area) and seems real bad.

Any news on diversions for the New York area? Usually there is a thread but perhaps there was enough notice to avoid such occurrences. It doesn't look like the airports (JFK, LGA, EWR) are closed per the Port Authority website.

I could have missed a thread or a comment...long day.   

Cheers,
KirkSeattle

aajfksjubklyn

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:46 am

I was on AA 117. We boarded ok, got de iced and then the pilot came on and said no go. He proceeds to say he checked his phone and it said heavy snow and made a decision not to take the bird out of the gate. We waited two hours in terminal and while in Admirals club the flight was cancelled. Meantime planes were taking off. I did hear him indicate that the 762 was not capable after deicing to take off. In a heavy snow condition. Based on what I saw outside my window the snow at the time was light. It wasn't until 6pm that the snow came down heavy. Nonetheless I am safe after 3 hours in a car trying to get home. NYC is a mess and it's still snowing. Heavy again.

brilondon

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:38 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 13):

I'm heading from Philadelphia 30th Street Station (ZFV) up to EWR with my wife for our flight to Jacksonville. We're hoping everything should be ok for our 6pm departure tomorrow...

Good luck, it looks like LGA is closed this morning and EWR is not far behind by the looks of it.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

COEWR787

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:42 pm

Looks like United managed to operate most of its international departures and arrivals from EWR yesterday and early this morning!

jfklganyc

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Quoting aajfksjubklyn (Reply 17):
Based on what I saw outside my window the snow at the time was light

But if the ATIS says +SN, or 1/4 mile (heavy snow visibility) you're done. Even if it looks light.

Flying Belgian

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:24 pm

I flew last night out of JFK despite the tons of snow. De-icing process was swift, but given the high numbers of canceled flights the traffic was very light. Taxiways were very very slippery...
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

brilondon

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Quoting polnebmit (Reply 14):

This may be a little off-topic but still related to snow storm Janus that's pounding us here in NYC. I noticed in the SIA website they had an alert that fight SQ25 JFK-FRA was cancelled. However in FA it's tracking that the flight took off and is enroute. Interestingly, it states that it took off 1 hour before scheduled flight time. Are they just shuttling the aircraft back to FRA empty?

They name snowstorms now? Wow, it seems that this would be media hyperbole and not really the intensity of the storm.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

Jerseyguy

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 22):
They name snowstorms now?

The Weather Channel does as a marketing ploy. No one else I heard was calling it Janus

ouboy79

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:59 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 22):
They name snowstorms now? Wow, it seems that this would be media hyperbole and not really the intensity of the storm.

Like Jerseyguy said, it is The Weather Channel only that does this but some companies like FedEx and Amazon also put the storm names in their advisories as well. Southwest internally relays information using the storm name as well, but I just have to role my eyes. With a background in meteorology, I just have to laugh at the concept of naming a storm system that isn't as easily trackable/measurable as a topical cyclone. At least with that you are dealing with a single low pressure center with measurable winds and pressure. Winter storms you can measure those as well, but how do you account for double-barrel lows or other multiple systems coming together. The concept for winter storms is just stupid and people that buy into it just give up a little legitimacy each time they do.

The downside to all of this, insurance companies actually have language in all of their policies that "named" storms are handled differently and payouts are different. This is why you don't see NOAA/NWS follow suit because it would screw over so many citizens with this reckless behavior.

All in all though...it's winter. Yeah it hasn't been this cold in a few years, but its not like it doesn't snow in the states during these months. The high cancellation rate is likely, as others state, due to the FAR 117 changes. If a company wants to fly to a high traffic airport in the north, they need to deal with these situations.

Last thought - perhaps we need to consolidate to just one weather thread. Is there really a need for a specific market pair thread on weather impacts? London flights aren't the only ones being impacted.

richierich

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Thread starter):
Here in the UK BA has cancelled all flights to JFK after 2pm local.
http://www.britishairways.com/rtad/travel/public/en_gb

Is it gonna be That Bad? Local advise pls.

Not for nothing, if LHR ever had the kind of snow and temperatures JFK just had, the airport would have ground to a halt for a week!

In general, I always find that people like to downplay the affect of a snowstorm on this area. Yes, the NE USA is used to snow and cold temperatures, it is a way of life, but as we all know it takes very little to completely disrupt air traffic in our busy little airports. It's far more than the snow on the ground - runways and taxiways can be cleared off quite efficiently under most circumstances - but the knock-on effect on flights can last for days even after a modest storm like this one. Whether or not 8" of snow is modest is a matter of perspective; it's certainly not trivial and all transportation infrastructure was affected by this one in the New York area.

Each storm is a little different and although this one lacked ice pellets or freezing rain, both not particularly conducive to flying safely, it was accompanied by severe cold, lessening the effect of deicing and snow/ice removal in general. I think most airlines have resumed something approaching a normal schedule this afternoon at LGA, BOS, JFK and EWR, but there will still be tens of thousands of displaced passengers to deal with. Some may choose to change their plans, etc., but it will likely be another couple of days before things are "back to normal." Probably just in time for the next bout of wintry weather.
None shall pass!!!!