Mst4k
Topic Author

The "Smart" Boarding Pass

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:14 am

The Smart boarding pass. I guess this guy really disliked the old ones. Not a bad design however. It's easy to read with a modern website style layout. Maybe too much ink and color used?
“Senator, you whipped out that Mexican thing again.”
"Can you defend it?"

[email protected]

RE: The "Smart" Boarding Pass

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:55 am

not bad but where is the booking class / status & frequentflyer number
furthermore I'm a fan of having additionally the departure time as many airports / airlines showing boarding times which they never will meet (too early)

Braybuddy

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:56 am

Much, much better than the mess we have at the moment. It's amazing that boarding passes have not become more standardised. One a.net member posted a redesign a couple of years ago which was also a big improvement. IIRC he used the font Neo and had all the passenger-relevant details printed in a large font size with everything else much smaller. Only problem I can think of with either suggestion is that a lot of boarding passes are now A4 size, as we print these at home.

Any redesign might become quickly redundant, of course, with the increasing use of boarding passes downloaded onto our smartphones.

zkncj

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:00 am

What airlines still keep the stubs of the boarding passes these days?

Mst4k
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 1):
not bad but where is the booking class / status & frequent flyer number

But does any of that need to be on a boarding pass? You probably already know your status and the bar code will pull up the rest. I think the point of this redesign is to make the info that's important to the traveller at the airport who's in a hurry easy to read. At least that's my take on it.
"Can you defend it?"

SFO2SVO

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 am

While I agree that boarding passes need overhaul, I do not believe this is the best candidate.
-Where is the departure and arrival time? Length of the flight? Boarding zone (for airlines using it)?
-23C : is it in Stockholm or Sydney? Now or at time of departure/arrival?
-Many cities have more then one airport. I think it will be beneficial to have something like London/LHR
-For seat designation, especially for widebody ac would be nice to have a scheme, something like (xY xxx xx), not just aisle/window/middle
318-19-20-21 330-22 340-35 350 380 717 727 737-234578 747-34 757-23 767-34 777-23 787-8 DC9 DC10 M11 MD8x MD90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 DASH8 SF340 E120 TU34 TU54 IL18/62/86/96

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:48 am

Quoting Mst4k (Reply 4):
But does any of that need to be on a boarding pass? You probably already know your status and the bar code will pull up the rest. I think the point of this redesign is to make the info that's important to the traveller at the airport who's in a hurry easy to read. At least that's my take on it.

Lounge access, for instance. Claiming miles more easily if the FF system screws up...

This boarding pass isn't much of an improvement for whoever flies a lot.

Stockholm to Sydney? Leaving from Arlanda or Bromma or Nykoping or Vasteras? He says he doesn't wanna decipher airline codes and then he only indicates the departure airport by its code.

Gates are not given that much in advance in certain countries, like the UK and Switzerland, so you wouldn't get them printed on your boarding pass unless you check-in really late.

DL already does the HUGE boarding time on their boarding passes, so not very innovative there.

Interesting that this flight from Stockholm to Sydney, non-stop (I assume) on Singapore Airlines, now part of the Virgin group, on a wide-body from the looks of it, leaves from a domestic terminal in ARN. Sweden has annexed Australia, it seems.

I'm sorry, but I live in Switzerland so my eye for detail is very well developed.

I can't take it seriously when it gets so many details wrong.

WAC

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 am

Tbe smart boarding pass nowadays is on your smart phone.
A recent trip with BA due to the flight being full I was upgraded before I got to the gate and everything was done 40-50 mins automatically. Paper tickets have gone and soon so will paper boarding passes

davidho1985

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:34 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 3):

Almost all airlines in Asia still keep it when you go through the boarding gate

EIDL

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:48 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 3):

Most recently for me, SK. FR also do as far as I know - albeit 95%+ of passengers have self printed ones, they still tear them and even ask(ed?) you to part-tear it.

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:49 am

Quoting WAC (Reply 7):

What if you don't have a smart phone?

I guess you could use a tablet instead.

[email protected]

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:27 am

Call me old style, but even I check in online, even with my Smartphone, I don't use it at the airport.
Hate it when I ran out of battery or somebody calling at that time.

I like the ones from AF, where you get one BP for your entire trip and the various flights are just one line, but you still have all information on it.

iahcsr

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:44 am

Minor issue is most airport printers only print in one color... Two color does look nicer though
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

bill142

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:59 am

Quoting iahcsr (Reply 12):
Minor issue is most airport printers only print in one color... Two color does look nicer though

Yeah but when you're a design student thinking you've got all the answers things like that are someone else's problem

ZSOFN

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 13):
Yeah but when you're a design student thinking you've got all the answers things like that are someone else's problem

He's an industry professional as opposed to a "design student" and tackles your concerns on his site:

http://petesmart.co.uk/rethink-the-airline-boarding-pass/

lightsaber

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 am

I'm with others, were is the boarding zone?
If there is a FF class that impacts lounge access or boarding priority, where is it on the pass?

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 11):
I like the ones from AF, where you get one BP for your entire trip and the various flights are just one line, but you still have all information on it.

I prefer that format too. Who wants to print out a bunch of boarding passes for a multi-stop itinerary. While the suggestion was crisp and clean, I rarely take a trip where there aren't more than 2 flight legs. But there needs to be a clear boarding pass for each leg.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 10):
What if you don't have a smart phone?

I always like paper as a backup, but who doesn't have a smart phone now?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 15):

Me. I simply don't need such a device. I've got a tablet or a laptop with me, though, if I need to send e-mails. I need it anyway, to use the internet at my leisure (phones are too small for that IMO). I have a separate stupidphone, for texting and calling (both of which I rarely do, especially the latter, though I take it with me when I travel... just in case). I also have skype on my tablet/laptop, which is often cheaper than roaming charges. So why would I need/want a smartphone?

Regarding the boarding pass, I like the format. But people already bend a boarding pass so that it fits in a passport...

If he's flown a lot from the UK, he should know that your gate info is often NOT on your boarding pass when flying, especially from/within that country! So the format becomes irrelevant as it won't be easier to find your gate.

trent1000

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 pm

but who doesn't have a smart phone now?

A lot of passengers who are elderly, children, from poorer countries than the US and in Europe... I have never used a phone for the purpose of boarding a plane...

WesternDC6B

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Quoting trent1000 (Reply 17):

but who doesn't have a smart phone now?

A lot of passengers who are elderly, children, from poorer countries than the US and in Europe... I have never used a phone for the purpose of boarding a plane...

I have a smart-phone. I have tried using the phone as my boarding pass and find it cumbersome. I also have noticed that the gate agent spends more time juggling someone's phone to get it under the scanner "just right" than they do with paper passes. It doesn't matter if it is an iPhone, Android, Windows, or what have you. They seem to take longer to handle than paper.

The only benefit I can see from smart-phone boarding passes is: Ryan and Spirit can come up with yet still another further different surcharge for those using paper passes, even if printed by the passenger.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

Rdh3e

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 16):
I also have skype on my tablet/laptop, which is often cheaper than roaming charges. So why would I need/want a smartphone?

You could use skype on your phone, it's more portable, less ostentatious etc.

If you're traveling in a foreign city you can easily cache the google maps for the city to your phone while you're on wifi, then using your GPS (which doesn't cost you anything) you can find your way around the city and never be lost. The command for this if people are wondering: fit the map area you want on the screen, then in the search bar type "okay maps". It will store the whole area down to the bottom level of detail on your phone.

I never want to be the target for criminals standing there with my giant map or much worse, tablet, trying to figure our where I'm going. Whereas if you use your phone you just look like you're texting.

There are endless reasons why a smartphone is justified when traveling, and when on vacation it would be all you need, so if you're trying to travel light, it could easily replace both laptop and tablet. Work trips, not so much.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:21 pm

I like the concept. It's a far better one than the one that's in use now. Quite simple and elegant.

Now, I know this is just a concept and that some details can be addressed, but allow me to discuss a few pet-peeves of some posters:

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 1):
where is the booking class / status & frequentflyer number

Is that really info to put on a boarding pass? The airline already has that. Besides, that piece of paper will most likely be thrown out once your flight is over. If you're an elite, I'm guessing either a card, a different colored boarding pass, or a mark will make the distinction.

Quoting SFO2SVO (Reply 5):
Where is the departure and arrival time? Length of the flight? Boarding zone (for airlines using it)?

Let's split this up:
1. What difference does it make to have the departure or arrival time? The airline cannot guarantee an arrival or departure time due to weather delays or mechanical problems. The only time it has is a scheduled, which in this case, doesn't matter because you don't board at the departure time. The time to be at the gate is the boarding time. Any person responsible enough will remember their departing time and know that the latest they can be there is 10 minutes before said time. At most, just the departing time will do.
2. Why is it necessary to put a length of flight on a boarding pass? A person who knows their schedule will have already seen how long their flights are at the time of booking and checking in.
3. The boarding zone SHOULD be shown. I agree. Unless of course the airline decides to color code the passes (gold for first class and elites, silver for zone 1, and so on...)

is it in Stockholm or Sydney? Now or at time of departure/arrival?

Why should the temperature matter? Most likely it's the destination weather at the time. Whenever I check-in for a flight, the airline gives me a weather preview of the destination airport. Not that it's of any help since weather can change in an instant.

Many cities have more then one airport. I think it will be beneficial to have something like London/LHR

It's not like the airline will shuttle between all the airports in the city before reaching the final one. That might be nice to people who know all the codes and like to distinguish. But for the average Joe who only knows he's going to London on 'X' airline, he couldn't care less which airport in London he lands in as long as he lands in London and will most likely have known the difference between landing at LGW, LHR, or LCY by the time of booking.

For seat designation, especially for widebody ac would be nice to have a scheme, something like (xY xxx xx), not just aisle/window/middle

That might be nice, but then here's an interesting question: what's the perspective of the seats? Will you be seated on the right side of the aircraft or on the left side (ie. is the map assuming that the person is seated looking to the top of this page (left side) or looking to the bottom (right side))?

For all that hassle, just leave the seat number and letter and the position it's in. Flight attendants will be more than happy to help a person find their seat.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 6):
Interesting that this flight from Stockholm to Sydney, non-stop (I assume) on Singapore Airlines, now part of the Virgin group, on a wide-body from the looks of it, leaves from a domestic terminal in ARN. Sweden has annexed Australia, it seems.

Jeez, it's just concept, not an actual flight. Not all people are quite knowledgeable about the airline industry as we are. Though that's not the worst flights schedule I've seen.  
Lounge access, for instance. Claiming miles more easily if the FF system screws up...

Don't airlines usually give out a separate ticket or a membership card if you're allowed into their lounge?

If the FF system screws up, I'm guessing that you have a confirmation number with you with which you can call the airline to claim those miles.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

a380787

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:23 pm

The iPhone "Passbook" boarding passes are already the next gen - clean, clear, concise, and when you click on the info, you get all the details like PNR#

This "smart" design is a bit too clean - good enough for the casual traveler, but lacks a lot of useful info for FFs

Traveling globally, you still need a paper boarding pass. Too many transit agents around the globe (esp in the developing world) aren't familar with cell phone boarding passes and might not accept it as a valid form of travel.

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 19):
If you're traveling in a foreign city you can easily cache the google maps for the city to your phone while you're on wifi, then using your GPS (which doesn't cost you anything) you can find your way around the city and never be lost. The command for this if people are wondering: fit the map area you want on the screen, then in the search bar type "okay maps". It will store the whole area down to the bottom level of detail on your phone.

I tend to memorize the maps of places I'm visiting before I go there. At least for small places, like Tirana. As such, I can orient myself and look less lost than a guy fiddling with his phone.

Again, it's cumbersome to use the internet on a phone-sized device. I can't see anything, and the touch screen is iffy with such a small keyboard (even iPads make for horrible typing, lol).

You could use skype on your phone, it's more portable, less ostentatious etc.

I use skype in the hotel room, no need to be portable and less ostentatious   Plus, who's gonna wanna steal my Nokia 6310 in 2014 if I need to use the phone?

I never want to be the target for criminals standing there with my giant map or much worse, tablet, trying to figure our where I'm going

The most stolen item in the States is probably the iPhone, not a tablet... easier to hide, easier to run away with it, etc.

There are endless reasons why a smartphone is justified when traveling, and when on vacation it would be all you need, so if you're trying to travel light, it could easily replace both laptop and tablet. Work trips, not so much.

Nope, not for me. too much of a pain to look on the internet, do online check-ins... and no need for me to have a 500$ phone. I need a 10$ phone with the only requirement being to be able to text and call (if I'm late and the hotel check-in isn't open 24 hours).

I'd rather get an iPod touch with internet access if I want something very portable...

blueflyer

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Nice efforts, but because computers act up, barcode scanners don't scan, and all other myriad issues frequent travelers go through every year, it is missing several must-have information:
-Ticket number;
-Sequence number;
-Frequent flier number and status.

That information isn't absolutely necessary, but having it readily available when, not if, equipment fails, such as the gate barcode scanner, will save everyone a lot of time over having to rely on name and flight number only. Imagine a gate agent unable to use a scanner at the gate for 200 passengers: boarding goes a lot faster when all that is needed is enter the sequence number (three digits I think) and match the name on the boarding pass against the one popping on the screen, instead of typing every passenger's name for verification...

Stockholm to Sydney? Leaving from Arlanda or Bromma or Nykoping or Vasteras? He says he doesn't wanna decipher airline codes and then he only indicates the departure airport by its code.

By the type you get a boarding pass such as the one we are talking about, you're already at the airport. Either you already know which one, so you don't need to be reminded, or you don't because you're visiting and someone dropped you off, and then do you really care?
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers

Mst4k
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 23):
Nice efforts, but because computers act up, barcode scanners don't scan, and all other myriad issues frequent travelers go through every year, it is missing several must-have information:
-Ticket number;
-Sequence number;
-Frequent flier number and status.

That information isn't absolutely necessary, but having it readily available when, not if, equipment fails,

I agree some details should be added, but all of that could be printed on the bottom of the pass. Including the airline mumbo jumbo that most people don't understand (in case of computer failure, etc.) That leaves the important information still up top in an easy-to-read format. It's the design concept that I think is well done, not that changes couldn't be made to it. Boarding zone could easily replace or fit next to the gate info, status and booking class next to your name and so on.
"Can you defend it?"

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 23):
By the type you get a boarding pass such as the one we are talking about, you're already at the airport. Either you already know which one, so you don't need to be reminded, or you don't because you're visiting and someone dropped you off, and then do you really care?

Then why have ARN at all?

Yay, room for more empty space!

jetblueguy22

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Quoting Mst4k (Reply 4):
But does any of that need to be on a boarding pass? You probably already know your status and the bar code will pull up the rest.

I personally like to have my FF listed on my BP because it tells me that it is connected and I am getting my miles.

While I agree that boarding passes need overhaul, I do not believe this is the best candidate.
-Where is the departure and arrival time? Length of the flight? Boarding zone (for airlines using it)?
-23C : is it in Stockholm or Sydney? Now or at time of departure/arrival?
-Many cities have more then one airport. I think it will be beneficial to have something like London/LHR
-For seat designation, especially for widebody ac would be nice to have a scheme, something like (xY xxx xx), not just aisle/window/middle

1.What airline has that now? I fly DL and WN quite frequently and neither has arrival time or length of flight on the boarding pass.
2.Who needs temp? Especially on long haul, conditions are probably going to be a lot different at arrival than departure.
3.I agree, probably best.
4.Again the boarding passes I've come across, none have said aisle, middle, window.

I think it's a nice clean up. But frankly I love the current DL set up. Clear, well organized information, easy to find info you need. But perhaps I'm just a little biased.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

HOOB747

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:16 pm

The number of people who DON'T have these "smart" phones would shock those of you who have "smart" phones. People assume everyone has them. That is incorrect.
I love dem planes....

pierrelav

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 pm

As far as I am concerned, good ideas but seriously lagging important information, such as Mileage program as well as group- priority numbers at boarding time.

ytz

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:07 pm

I like how he listed both the airport designator and the city. To me that's good enough. You don't need to have London/LHR when the airport designator is already written on the "From" or "To" line.

He has room under the name to put down the FF number. I would add that. I don't know if status is necessary. That could be derived from the FF number.

I would also put the ticket number under the barcode.

These pieces of information can be in smaller font. They are really only necessary for the staff in case the machines go kaput. The passenger doesn't need them.

Next, the boarding sequence. Not all airlines use it. But for the ones that do. Could create another block under Gate.

Better yet, put all this information that is not absolutely useful to the passenger on the back of the boarding pass.

As for costs to upgrade printers? Tough. Airlines have money to get developers for web apps and whole lot of other upgrades. They could do this worldwide as an IATA/ICAO initiative in one shot.

cschleic

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:32 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 3):

Southwest. If it's a web printed pass, they keep the whole thing.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:53 am

-Many cities have more then one airport. I think it will be beneficial
to have something like London/LHR

Like YTZ says, it already have the airport code next to "from" and "to"
It says:

"From: ARN
Stockholm

To. SYD
Sydney"
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

SuseJ772

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:02 am

Quoting zkncj (Reply 3):

I don't know. I have seen one in a while

Quoting WAC (Reply 7):

Exactly. Will they keep paper. Sure. But I doubt they are going to innovate it.

Quoting iahcsr (Reply 12):

That's a big issue with all design. Our marketing team was redesigning our labels and didn't realize it was a thermal printer (which most boarding pass printers are) and it REALLY limits what you can do.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 13):

He might not be a design student, but he still doesn't quite live in the real world of what is possible with current infrastructure.

Quoting WesternDC6B (Reply 18):
I also have noticed that the gate agent spends more time juggling someone's phone to get it under the scanner "just right" than they do with paper passes.

I always just put it under there myself. Never a problem getting it to scan and WAY less cumbersome.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

JA743J

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:08 am

I never thought that the current boarding pass would need a change. I would much rather have extra unnecessary information on my BP than to try to dig up details when I need to.

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 27):
The number of people who DON'T have these "smart" phones would shock those of you who have "smart" phones. People assume everyone has them. That is incorrect.

Exactly. I use smartphone BP myself and I would bet smartphone ownership for FFs are lot more than the average. For example, what if you are traveling with a family. What about a seven year old boy or 82 year old grandpa on a family reunion? Are they expected to have a smartphone too?

Quoting YTZ (Reply 29):
I don't know if status is necessary. That could be derived from the FF number.

Not having FF status on the BP would be a disaster. Status are usually printed with thick and large letters for a reason. I don't want to dig my wallet for the FF card every time I needed to pass the gatekeeper guarding priority security lines.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 29):
As for costs to upgrade printers? Tough. Airlines have money to get developers for web apps and whole lot of other upgrades. They could do this worldwide as an IATA/ICAO initiative in one shot.

The cost of developing web apps and the cost op upgrading equipment/softwares on every stations are incomparable. Besides, which problem does it solve?

GASQKL

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:15 am

I am not sure why this is such a breakthrough. Garuda Indonesia had used this type of pocket size boarding pass (which has a frequent flyer number and all the other necessary information) since 2010 and the end of 2013 ex-CGK. For some reasons, the airline has changed back again to the original size. The one complaint I had heard before the pocket size boarding pass from GA was that it was easily misplaced.

DocLightning

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:39 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 2):
Any redesign might become quickly redundant, of course, with the increasing use of boarding passes downloaded onto our smartphones.

That said, while a majority of adults in the world has a cellphone these days (I read that a few years back), the cell industry has not progressed to a point where they work anywhere, like wifi devices do. The practice of locking phones makes it very inconvenient for foreigners passing through a country to use their phones for downloading and managing their booking. It's getting better as more airports offer free WiFi, but for at least the next five years, boarding passes will need to be paper for some passengers.

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 26):
I personally like to have my FF listed on my BP because it tells me that it is connected and I am getting my miles.

Agreed. And this layout leaves room for such things.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

SFO2SVO

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:26 am

1.What airline has that now? I fly DL and WN quite frequently and neither has arrival time or length of flight on the boarding pass.

I agree, none. But we are talking about the ideas on how to improve it. You probably heard numerous times pax asking FAs "are we there yet?"  
2.Who needs temp? Especially on long haul, conditions are probably going to be a lot different at arrival than departure.

Also agree, noone! That was actually my example of what is wrong with the suggested pass from the article.

I believe the objective was to come up with pass useful to casual pax. The one he can show to the taxi driver and say "take me there" (hence the airport code), then look at it in the airport and see that the flight will be over 4 hours - so ok, let me buy some food. Then again, when boarding (especially widebody) and see the seat on the little ac plan: which aisle to take, how far back.
318-19-20-21 330-22 340-35 350 380 717 727 737-234578 747-34 757-23 767-34 777-23 787-8 DC9 DC10 M11 MD8x MD90 F70 RJ85 ATR72 DASH8 SF340 E120 TU34 TU54 IL18/62/86/96

tonystan

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:30 am

A smart boarding pass is a smart phone boarding pass of which we have had for some time now.

I see in the near future over 75% of people using this preferred method with a bit of a push by the airlines in much the same way as airlines have pushed for online checkin!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

davidho1985

Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:13 pm

I don't know how "smart" this boarding pass it.
The current one can serve all the functions this so call "Smart" boarding pass served.

And there is no need to standard all airlines boarding pass into one format (except the color and the airlines' logo)
The design of boading pass can be one of the marketing tools for the airlines.

Beardown91737

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:54 pm

We may have smart phones, but at even medium size US airports, maybe the airline or TSA doesn't.

At ONT, TSA at T4 did not have a reader a few months ago.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos