Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

guyanam

RE: Palisadoes Rd...Jamaican Thread 48

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 49):

They were talking about Brazil not that long ago. OJ lacks the ability or credibility to develop markets outside of the VFR segment, so if they do so, it should be operated as a virtual charter for the Jamaica Tourist Board, leaving them to develop and promote the route, and provide revenue guarantees.

Don't know why they are looking to add a speculative destination when they need to develop their core markets first. These announcements, and then not following through, is beginning to make them look silly.

[Edited 2014-02-14 09:46:54]

[Edited 2014-02-14 09:47:51]

hummingbird
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 48):
Quoting airjamaica (Reply 49):
Well it appears as if its business as usual. Atleast for the time being.

These are pics from their 1st year anniversary. Looks like business as usual..

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/1920471_515318618585593_1955970913_n_zps2b81dbc5.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/1620939_515318728585582_1327606865_n_zpsa7c646ed.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/1798584_515319061918882_1570148096_n_zps6af2768d.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/1604457_515251195259002_1567171795_n_zpscab51c4b.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/1795656_515318518585603_1760372479_n_zps80f6632b.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Air will also operate EWR-MBJ services this summer on behalf of Vacation Express..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per OAG thread this week..

OAG Changes 2/21/2014: AA/DL/UA (by enilria Feb 17 2014 in Civil Aviation)

UA EWR-MBJ JUL 1.0>1.2 AUG 0.6>0.8

UA IAD-MBJ JUL 0.1>0.4 AUG 0.1>0.3

UA ORD-MBJ JUL 0.1>0.3

I hope to see a EWR-KIN service in the near future..
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

airjamaica

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 50):
Don't know why they are looking to add a speculative destination when they need to develop their core markets first.

I would have thought FLL is high on their list for next target destination.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 51):
These are pics from their 1st year anniversary. Looks like business as usual..

Congrats to them and hopefully they will acquire a second frame soon. Even though it is just one year of operation ( with a single aircraft ) I am certain there are those who thought they would have folded already.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 51):
Miami Air will also operate EWR-MBJ services this summer on behalf of Vacation Express..

Interesting. I remember in the 90's Kiwi Air Lines operated charters between EWR and MBJ with B727s. Good to see MBJ getting additional services from EWR.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 52):
I would have thought FLL is high on their list for next target destination.

I heard they will serve FLL, once the second runway is completed...If, they were to serve FLL before the airport expansion, the slot times would not be beneficial..

Congrats to them and hopefully they will acquire a second frame soon. Even though it is just one year of operation ( with a single aircraft ) I am certain there are those who thought they would have folded already.

With plans to expand YYZ services, I assume the second frame will arrive prior to the Mar schedule..

Interesting. I remember in the 90's Kiwi Air Lines operated charters between EWR and MBJ with B727s. Good to see MBJ getting additional services from EWR.

Agree..Also nice to see the increases from UA..

guyanam

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Despite what some people think, there has to be a reason why core founders like Captain Tai left.

What are there loads like? What is their cash flow like? Are there issues with its GEO operations, given restrictions out of the lucrative JFK market (running empty planes down to GEO due to thin KIN-GEO traffic). Is Travelspan providing unanticipated competition for OJ with its nonstops to GEO?

What is noteworthy is that, despite adding GEO, their JFK route is still only 4x.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 54):
What are there loads like? What is their cash flow like? Are there issues with its GEO operations, given restrictions out of the lucrative JFK market (running empty planes down to GEO due to thin KIN-GEO traffic).

In a recent article, they mentioned, they are seeking a widebody aircraft to tap into the growing tourism market to GEO..My assumption is, the loads are high ex JFK, but a widebody is needed on the route. In an effort to fill the B757 to fly between GEO and KIN.

What is noteworthy is that, despite adding GEO, their JFK route is still only 4x.

Add to that a 2 weekly service to YYZ..For now, the aircraft is operational 6 days a week..

airjamaica

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:35 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 53):
I heard they will serve FLL, once the second runway is completed...If, they were to serve FLL before the airport expansion, the slot times would not be beneficial..
Quoting hummingbird (Reply 53):
With plans to expand YYZ services, I assume the second frame will arrive prior to the Mar schedule..

Guess in that case it wouldn't be economical to start FLL now then, if the arrival/departure times will be aweful and uncompetitive.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 55):
Add to that a 2 weekly service to YYZ..For now, the aircraft is operational 6 days a week..

With one B752 doing all those rotations it would be a challenge for them to have much more services than what they currently have I would think.
airjamaica

guyanam

Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:26 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 55):

The notion that "Guyana has a growing tourist market" is why I wonder if philosophical differences weren't the reason for the split up. Guyana has no tourist industry, beyond that of returning Guyanese, and a few Trinis and Bajans going to watch cricket, check out their Guyanese friends and buy some gold (less of that now as gold is expensive).

Even though a one plane operation poses operational challenges, unless they have more market share on the JFK KIN route I really don't see how that can be fully used. JFK GEO is limited as OJ isn't allowed to do turn round flights. Only certain people will tolerate that long flight via KIN. The northbound is especially harsh as much of its is overnight.

What is apparent is that the people who knew more about running a commercial carrier have left. Reece runs a domestic charter airline in Guyana, and seems to be indulging in flights of fantasy.

I guess at some point we will find out as carriers of this type have a tough time bringing in cash until around May/June when people begin buying their summer tickets.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 57):

Only time will tell..
--------------------------------------

DL will operate a total of 10 mainline and 1 regional aircraft into MBJ today.

The schedule are as follow.

ATL-MBJ
4 MD88 and 1 CR9.

IND-MBJ 1 A320

DTW-MBJ 1 A320 and ! B738

MSP-MBJ 2 A320

JFK-MBJ 1 B738.
-------------------------------------------------------------

A full cohort of 25 trainee Air Traffic Controllers has successfully completed the rigourous Aerodrome/Approach Control Training Course offered by the Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority’s Training Institute (CAATI). Director General of the JCAA, Mr. Leroy Lindsay, explained that the programme is “one among many, which are being undertaken by the Authority, to assist the safe and orderly development of Jamaica’s aviation industry, while securing a viable future for the nation in a standards-driven, dynamic and competitive global aviation industry.”
http://go-jamaica.com/pressrelease/item.php?id=3009

----------------------------------------------------------------

In this report it mentioned, Conviasa is looking to spread it's wings to other Caribbean Islands..
Only a matter of time before we see services to MBJ and KIN..I see a 3-4 weekly CCS-KIN-MBJ-CCS service in the future..

http://www.avn.info.ve/contenido/con...ns-open-routes-caribbean-countries

airjamaica

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:46 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 58):
DL will operate a total of 10 mainline and 1 regional aircraft into MBJ today.

The schedule are as follow.

ATL-MBJ
4 MD88 and 1 CR9.

IND-MBJ 1 A320

DTW-MBJ 1 A320 and ! B738

MSP-MBJ 2 A320

JFK-MBJ 1 B738.

Very impressive line up by DL in MBJ. With the KIN-ATL service, that's a total of 12 flights from Jamaica for the day.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 58):
A full cohort of 25 trainee Air Traffic Controllers has successfully completed the rigourous Aerodrome/Approach Control Training Course offered by the Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority’s Training Institute (CAATI).

I am wondering when the new control tower at Norman Manley International will be operational.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 59):
Very impressive line up by DL in MBJ. With the KIN-ATL service, that's a total of 12 flights from Jamaica for the day.

As the US economy rebounds, I expect DL to add more seasonal flights to MBJ..KIN should see an increase in capacity by W15..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 59):
I am wondering when the new control tower at Norman Manley International will be operational.

Have'nt heard of a deadline..

InterCaribbean Airlines have unveiled their new livery..They will soon start domestic services and have targeted Cuba as an area for growth. Plans are also in place to connect Jamaica with Brazil via SDQ..

Concurrently, the airline also plans to offer service to Cuba. In fact it also plans to offer indirect connectivity to Brazil via the Dominican Republic. It would do so by synching its Dominican Republic arrivals with two daily flights originating in Brazil.

"We are in the process of signing an interconnectivity agreement which would allow traffic from Brazil the opportunity to come to Jamaca. So we are opening the Jamaican market for tourism purposes as well," Gardiner said.
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...o-fly-domestic-in-Jamaica_16125722

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:39 pm

I was blown away by this TUI ad featuring Jamaica's Yohan Blake..Job well done to the production team..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-1rint5mXM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For S14, Sunwings will be offering flights from YEG and YYC into MBJ..

Sunwing is excited to announce the availability of its biggest summer program yet as destinations have been added to the tour operator’s already extensive flight schedule. New this summer are vacation packages to Freeport, Grand Bahama Island and Panama from Toronto. Sunwing will also offer flights from Edmonton and Calgary to Montego Bay, Jamaica, as well as flights from Quebec City to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

http://www.sunwing.ca/newsstory.asp?id=452

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Westjet will increase YYZ-MBJ to 11 weekly for S14..Last year, they operated 10 weekly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eff Dec 24..Thomson Airways will operare a bi-weekly B787 CPH-MBJ service.I assume the current ARN-MBJ will also operate in W15.

A388

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 61):
I was blown away by this TUI ad featuring Jamaica's Yohan Blake..Job well done to the production team..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-1rint5mXM

Will TUI be using MBJ as hub for their cruise ships, meaning that they will fly in the tourists to go on the cruise ship in MBJ?

A388

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 62):
Will TUI be using MBJ as hub for their cruise ships, meaning that they will fly in the tourists to go on the cruise ship in MBJ?

Yes, flights will be operated by Thomson Tui from LGW, MAN and GLA..

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=AwrBT...ses-winter-2014-15-launch-1a5.aspx

A388

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 63):
Yes, flights will be operated by Thomson Tui from LGW, MAN and GLA..

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=AwrBT...ses-winter-2014-15-launch-1a5.aspx

Great thanks Hummingbird, the yahoo link doesn't work by the way.

A388

hummingbird
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:48 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 64):

My bad.. This link should work..

http://communicationcentre.thomson.c...ses-winter-2014-15-launch-1a5.aspx

----------------------------------------

Interesting data as it pertains to seats between Canada and The Caribbean..

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...e-caribbean-flying-in-summer-2014/

airjamaica

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 60):
InterCaribbean Airlines have unveiled their new livery..They will soon start domestic services and have targeted Cuba as an area for growth. Plans are also in place to connect Jamaica with Brazil via SDQ..

Their new livery look great. Simple but colourful and eye catching. Regarding the connection option from Brazil, it would be another alternative, but I think most would prefer the PTY connection with CM as it would be less time consuming and more cost effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-1ri...t5mXM

Very creative ad. No way could anyone run on Dunn's River Falls like that. Lol.

For S14, Sunwings will be offering flights from YEG and YYC into MBJ..

Can the B738 do YYC-MBJ nonstop ? Seem quite a distance there for that metal. Or will they lease larger aircraft for some routes ? Good to see them beefing up services to the Caribbean.

Westjet will increase YYZ-MBJ to 11 weekly for S14..Last year, they operated 10 weekly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eff Dec 24..Thomson Airways will operare a bi-weekly B787 CPH-MBJ service.I assume the current ARN-MBJ will also operate in W15.

Good news for both travellers and industry stake holders alike.
airjamaica

A388

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:06 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 66):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-1ri...t5mXM

Very creative ad. No way could anyone run on Dunn's River Falls like that. Lol.

I said the same thing when I saw that part of the clip but if you see what one of these guys does for a living it might be possible that these guys can actually pull it off:

http://www.youtube.com/user/chrislodge3run

Pretty amazing stuff and I assume all four guys work for the same company, doing the same things.

Cheers,

A388

airjamaica

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:13 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 67):
I said the same thing when I saw that part of the clip but if you see what one of these guys does for a living it might be possible that these guys can actually pull it off:

Come to think of it you are right. They probably did pull it off as they seem more than capable to, though for anyone who have visited that attraction in Ocho Rios, it may seem unreal, especially on that section of the falls.

Chinese visitors staying in Jamaica for less than 30 days will no longer require a visa for entry.........

'' KINGSTON, Jamaica – Citizens of China will now be able to enter Jamaica without a visa.

Speaking at the Jamaica House Post Cabinet press briefing on Wednesday, Minister of Information, Sandrea Falconer said that government has approved a new regime that will allow Chinese nationals to visit Jamaica as tourists for up to 30 days without a visa.

Falconer said that it has been difficult to achieve substantial growth in arrivals from China as many Chinese citizens have had to travel great distances to obtain a visa from the Jamaican Embassy in Beijing. "

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...sa-for-Chinese-visitors-to-Jamaica

Lets see the impact this waiver may have.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:15 pm

Their new livery look great. Simple but colourful and eye catching. Regarding the connection option from Brazil, it would be another alternative, but I think most would prefer the PTY connection with CM as it would be less time consuming and more cost effective.

I heard, they will start more hire Jamaicans to support their growth plans from the island..

Can the B738 do YYC-MBJ nonstop ? Seem quite a distance there for that metal. Or will they lease larger aircraft for some routes ? Good to see them beefing up services to the Caribbean.

Yes, WS used to operate the route on a seasonal basis..Also, Enerjet operated the route for a brief period..

Good news for both travellers and industry stake holders alike.

Agree.

Quoting A388 (Reply 67):

http://www.youtube.com/user/chrislodge3run

Pretty amazing stuff and I assume all four guys work for the same company, doing the same things.

Agree.

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 68):
Speaking at the Jamaica House Post Cabinet press briefing on Wednesday, Minister of Information, Sandrea Falconer said that government has approved a new regime that will allow Chinese nationals to visit Jamaica as tourists for up to 30 days without a visa.

It's about time..Now we can sit back and wait for those long-awaited Chinese charters..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US is currently operating a 4th daily on its CLT-MBJ-CLT segment.This flight operates Thur-Sun as a RON.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While no mention have been made of plans to operate into Jamaica..New Cayman start up, BlueSky Airlines will initially wet lease two Dash8-400 to cover Intra-Regional routes..

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...irlines-eyes-intracaribbean-market

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to The Jamaica Observer, B6 is now ahead of BW in terms of seats into Jamaica from US..Eff, May, they will be the market share leader on the FLL-Jamaica route.

The newer US-based carrier is already slightly ahead of CAL in Jamaica, in terms of passenger airlift to the US, mainly because of the New York leg, but JetBlue should take over in Fort Lauderdale come May.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...s-its-Caribbean-dominance_16152885

airjamaica

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:22 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 69):
According to The Jamaica Observer, B6 is now ahead of BW in terms of seats into Jamaica from US..Eff, May, they will be the market share leader on the FLL-Jamaica route.

The newer US-based carrier is already slightly ahead of CAL in Jamaica, in terms of passenger airlift to the US, mainly because of the New York leg, but JetBlue should take over in Fort Lauderdale come May.

No surprise there. Was more than expected.

Seem they are finally ready to get the extension of the runway at MBJ off the ground..............

'' The runway at the Donald Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay is to be extended at a cost of US$65 million.

Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller made the announcement on Friday (February 28), while addressing an Economic Reform Programme (ERP) stakeholder’s conference at the Montego Bay Convention Centre in Rose Hall, St. James.

Simpson Miller pointed out that due to the existing length of the runway the airport is unable to accommodate certain sized aircraft. "

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...ster-Airport--MoBay-to-be-extended

Have been hearing of these plans for quite some time now. Let us see if the ball will finally get rolling.
airjamaica

GUYAIR707

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:30 pm

I saw FJ's 752 at GEO yesterday over by the GDF hardstand any probs with the a/c?

GUYAIR707

airjamaica

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:19 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 71):
I saw FJ's 752 at GEO yesterday over by the GDF hardstand any probs with the a/c?

OJ 150 arrived in KIN from GEO at 4:15 am this morning and departed at 6:15 am as OJ 121 to JFK. What time did you spot the aircraft by the hardstand ?

By the way, I noticed that DL adjusted their KIN-ATL departure time to 10:00 am. That means the aircraft RON for 14.5 hours.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:58 am

Looks like US has beefed up services to MBJ from CLT for the rest of the winter.

CLT-MBJ will operate 3 daily. A 4th flight is operated Thur-Sun.This flight terminates in MBJ and leaves the following morning.

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 71):

GUYAIR707
Quoting airjamaica (Reply 72):
OJ 150 arrived in KIN from GEO at 4:15 am this morning and departed at 6:15 am as OJ 121 to JFK. What time did you spot the aircraft by the hardstand ?

Been monitoring their flights, all flights have been on time. However, there will be changes to their schedule eff Mar 10.YYZ will see new times from KIN and YYZ. I will give a detailed breakdown of the airframe's rotation.

Eff Mar 9

Sun
1:00am GEO-KIN 3:30AM
5:30AM KIN-JFK 10:00AM
12:15PM JFK-KIN 3:05PM
4:30PM KIN-GEO 9:00PM

MON
1:00AM GEO-KIN 3:30AM
5:30AM KIN-JFK 10:15AM
5:05PM KIN-YYZ 10:45PM

TUES
7:55AM YYZ-GEO 2:25PM
4:30PM GEO-YYZ 11:00PM

WED
7:55AM YYZ - KIN11:25AM

THUR
4:30PM KIN-GEO 9:00PM

FRI
1:00AM GEO-KIN 3:30AM
12:15PM JFK-GEO 5:45PM

NO FLYING ON SAT.

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 72):
By the way, I noticed that DL adjusted their KIN-ATL departure time to 10:00 am. That means the aircraft RON for 14.5 hours

I did a recent flight to ORD from ATL on DL. The outbound A319 arrived from KIN. I counted at least 20 Jamaicans who had ORD as their final destination, who had connected from KIN.

GUYAIR707

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 73):

It was around 5pm, I was departing on BW526. I guess if it is not used on Saturdays then it would be normal to be there. There was no activity around the a/c I guess it was just awaiting its next flight.

GUYAIR707

airjamaica

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:54 pm

I did a recent flight to ORD from ATL on DL. The outbound A319 arrived from KIN. I counted at least 20 Jamaicans who had ORD as their final destination, who had connected from KIN.

My sistrin who usually fly BWI-MIA-KIN and back with AA when visiting Jamaica happily switched to DL via ATL when the service started. JM was her prefered choice out of BWI to KIN, through MBJ when they were around, but was left with AA after the divestment. But she is now happy to have an option other than MIA where connection is concerned, as like many other people I know, she tries to avoid that South Florida airport, if at all possible.

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 74):
There was no activity around the a/c I guess it was just awaiting its next flight.

More than likely that was the case.
airjamaica

airjamaica

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:04 am

OJ is advertising vacancies for cabin attendants in Kingston I observe. I am sure they will receive '' tonnes " of applications. Not certain of the exact number they are targeting though.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 76):
OJ is advertising vacancies for cabin attendants in Kingston I observe. I am sure they will receive '' tonnes " of applications. Not certain of the exact number they are targeting though.

They are also looking for Captains and First Officers with B757/B767 experience..I guess expansion is on the horizon..

Also, later this year a second GEO-YYZ flight will be added..This flight will operate on Fri and will leave GEO @1:00am and return in the afternoon.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/0C31961D-22F1-4F34-9012-813CA109BF44_zpszxhfb7mi.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/0B4582AD-4170-440A-89A2-8615890E3412_zpslbw2xvj0.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/155B01F1-966A-443D-8C18-5FCAD0FE82BF_zpsacr9e4kq.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transaero had filed with The JCAA to upgrade their flights to MBJ from charter to schedule..Looks like they are seeing good results on this sector.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Earlier this year, Mr Reese mentioned their intentions to increase GEO-YYZ to twice weekly..
Eff Apr 25, GEO-YYZ will increase to twice weekly..The nonstop JFK-GEO will be discontinued to facilitate this new service..
Also, with the recent recruitment drive, aircraft# 2 is coming soon...

GEO-YYZ
8:25 AM 2:55 PM 145 WE
1:00 AM 7:30 AM 147 FR

YYZ-GEO

7:55 AM 2:25 PM 144 TU
9:30 AM 4:00 PM 146 FR

Also JFK-KIN will increase to 4 weekly and KIN-GEO will increase to 3 weekly..

LimaMike

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:37 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 78):
The nonstop JFK-GEO will be discontinued to facilitate this new service..

They had non-stops JFK-GEO? I thought all GEO/JFK/GEO operations routed via KIN.
Cleared for takeoff!

airjamaica

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:17 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 77):
Transaero had filed with The JCAA to upgrade their flights to MBJ from charter to schedule..Looks like they are seeing good results on this sector.

Can't say I am totally surprised, but the introduction of flights from Russia to Jamaica by Transaero has been impressive from day 1 it would seem. From B772 to B744, and now plans to operate on a scheduled basis is welcome news.

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 79):
They had non-stops JFK-GEO? I thought all GEO/JFK/GEO operations routed via KIN.

JFK-GEO was always nonstop on OJ. The mandatory stop was applicable only to the northbound segment, so they had to operate GEO-KIN-JFK as per the USDOT stipulation.

Also JFK-KIN will increase to 4 weekly and KIN-GEO will increase to 3 weekly..

I thought JFK-KIN was already at 4x weekly. What is their current frequency ?
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:24 am

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 79):

It was a weekly service that operated on Fridays..

This is their schedule that goes till May. I suspect, more flights will be added for the summer period..

http://www.fly-jamaica.com/timetables/plan-a-trip/timetables

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news from The German market..

http://jtbonline.org/pages/default.aspx

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 80):
I thought JFK-KIN was already at 4x weekly. What is their current frequency ?

JFK-KIN is currently at 3 weekly, Mon, Thur and Sun...It will be 4 weekly eff Apr 26, Mon, Thur,Sat and Sun

[Edited 2014-03-17 18:29:07]

yankeejuliet

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 pm

BW's 9Y-BGI has been static on the" front lawn" of the Norman Manley airport for the past two weeks or more, is this a signal of overcapacity despite increased flights from KIN, or is it being returned to lessor, maybe just technical issues? Can someone explain.

airjamaica

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:53 am

The nonstop JFK-GEO will be discontinued to facilitate this new service..

From what I understand, this adjustment is seasonal, and the JFK-GEO nonstop will be back in time for the busy summer period.

Earlier this year, Mr Reese mentioned their intentions to increase GEO-YYZ to twice weekly..
Eff Apr 25, GEO-YYZ will increase to twice weekly..

Good that travelers will now have a choice of 2 weekly nonstops between GEO and YYZ.
airjamaica

airjamaica

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:10 am

Good news for Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean. Plans are in place for adjustments to the current APD tax band....

'' KINGSTON, Jamaica– An announcement made today, Wednesday, March 19 by British Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, of changes to the Air Passenger Duty (APD) that will prove favourable to Jamaica and the Caribbean has been welcomed by Tourism and Entertainment Minister Dr Wykeham McNeill.

The changes will come into effect in April 2015 and will see the axing of APD bands C and D for flights of more than 4,000 miles. All long-haul flights will now carry the same, lower, band B tax rate, meaning people travelling to the Caribbean will pay the same as those travelling to the United States. ''

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...come-UK-Air-Passenger-Duty-reforms

This is much welcome news and it should have happened long ago.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 am

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 82):
BW's 9Y-BGI has been static on the" front lawn" of the Norman Manley airport for the past two weeks or more, is this a signal of overcapacity despite increased flights from KIN, or is it being returned to lessor, maybe just technical issues? Can someone explain.

Heard nothing so far on this aircraft.

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 83):
From what I understand, this adjustment is seasonal, and the JFK-GEO nonstop will be back in time for the busy summer period.

Which confirms the arrival of the second aircraft. I hope they get a B767.

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 83):
Good that travelers will now have a choice of 2 weekly nonstops between GEO and YYZ.

I agree, its a growing market.

BTW, CHEC has made KIN, its Headquarters for The America's region..They are currently expanding the GEO airport, am pretty sure OJ has jumped on the opportunity to transfer staff between GEO and KIN..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 84):
Good news for Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean. Plans are in place for adjustments to the current APD tax band....

I agree.

guyanam

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:49 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 85):

Actually YYZ GEO isn't growing. Its a flat market.

jm079

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 86):
Actually

Air Canada has upgraded there the mondays and thursdays KIN from A319 to the B767. The changes are for the summer and its only for flights operated on Mondays to KIN. Flight times on those days are also changes and matches flight times similiar to OJ

[Edited 2014-03-20 10:03:36]

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Quoting jm079 (Reply 87):

Trying to dump capacity may not hurt OJ as they are still yet to match their inflight service and baggage allowance..
But, it's nice to see that AC has identified OJ as a threat to their long term sustainability on the route ..

jm079

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:59 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 88):

Its being reported thagt Transaero is to suspend service to MBJ.

Further update to come.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:22 am

Quoting jm079 (Reply 89):

Yes, according to this link..

KINGSTON,Jamaica (CMC) - The recent political developments between Russia and Ukraine, has led to the suspension of service provided by Transaero Airlines.
On Thursday, the Ministry of Tourism announced that Transaero will be suspending service between Moscow and Montego Bay, effective March 28, with a resumption of service set for November.
This development has been attributed to "dramatic currency fluctuations in Russia, their impact on airline operations and recent political developments."

http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/mobile/...irline-suspends-service-to-Jamaica

airjamaica

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:32 am

BTW, CHEC has made KIN, its Headquarters for The America's region..They are currently expanding the GEO airport, am pretty sure OJ has jumped on the opportunity to transfer staff between GEO and KIN..

OJ will be a very convenient option for their travels to GEO.

Quoting jm079 (Reply 87):
Air Canada has upgraded there the mondays and thursdays KIN from A319 to the B767. The changes are for the summer and its only for flights operated on Mondays to KIN. Flight times on those days are also changes and matches flight times similiar to OJ
Quoting hummingbird (Reply 88):
Trying to dump capacity may not hurt OJ as they are still yet to match their inflight service and baggage allowance..
But, it's nice to see that AC has identified OJ as a threat to their long term sustainability on the route ..

How will WS compare frequency wise in KIN this summer ? I assume OJ will increase KIN-YYZ to atleast 2x weekly when aircraft # 2 arrive.

Quoting jm079 (Reply 89):
Its being reported thagt Transaero is to suspend service to MBJ.
Quoting hummingbird (Reply 90):
Yes, according to this link..

Such a pity. Just as their MBJ route was gaining even more traction. I am pleased however that they plan to resume operations in November. Hopefully things will iron out by then and year round ops can resume.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Taken from the OAG Thread..
OJ will be increasing JFK-KIN.. High praises indeed..

OJ JFK-KIN JUL 0.5>0.7 AUG 0.6>0.7 SEP 0.6>0.7 OCT 0.5>0.7

I have a feeling this will be to accommodate the new aircraft which presumably should be a B767.

-------------------------------------------------------

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 91):

WS will operate 4 weekly flights into KIN for the summer.. They are currently operating two flights a week..

yellowtail

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 60):

They are giving a briefing tomorrow at ROUTES%u2026.

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 91):
Just as their MBJ route was gaining even more traction

I understand that loads were horrible though. Can anyone in this thread verify that it is so and not sour grapes from my airline source at the MBJ airport

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 92):

I wish them well.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:40 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 93):
I understand that loads were horrible though. Can anyone in this thread verify that it is so and not sour grapes from my airline source at the MBJ airport

Am not sure, where you friend is getting his info...
Take a look at the JTB stats for Jan.
Also, they applied to The JCAA earlier this year to convert from a charter to a scheduled service on a year round basis
http://jtbonline.org/statistics/Mont...y%202014%20Vol%20xxiv%20No%201.pdf

Feb and Mar will follow shortly..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

airjamaica

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:01 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 92):
Taken from the OAG Thread..

I have a feeling this will be to accommodate the new aircraft which presumably should be a B767.

Hoping this schedule will involve aircraft # 2.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 93):

Think your source at MBJ is eating lots of sour grapes. The Transaero route into MBJ was a success from day 1 where loads are concerned. They started with a B777 and shortly after had to upgrade to a B744. Then they announced that plans were in place to operate year round scheduled. All those developments would not happen if loads were so horrible. There have been many newspaper articles detailing how well that market had performed in such a short period of time. Hopefully they can get back to their previous plans where service to MBJ is concerned in the near future.
airjamaica

yellowtail

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Guys, FWIW….I am hearing rumours that VS is looking to restart LGW-KIN with a 330.

Bet the folks at the NMIA would be over the moon if that were so
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

airjamaica

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 96):
Guys, FWIW….I am hearing rumours that VS is looking to restart LGW-KIN with a 330.

Haven't heard that rumor before now, but honestly I would not be surprised if they actually did. The A330 is a better fit for LGW-KIN I think than the B744. Also it would be beneficial for travelers to have a choice on that route as I am certain BA charges a premium ( as any other carrier would ) being the only carrier on it at the moment. Still expecting them to also announce MAN-MBJ in the future. On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised either if BA decide to restart LGW-MBJ sometime with a more suitable aircraft, even though in the same breath, I know that isn't a priority for them right now.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 96):
Guys, FWIW%u2026.I am hearing rumours that VS is looking to restart LGW-KIN with a 330.

Interesting, one would have thought BW would be on this route by now...

But, the market has grown and BA offering the only nonstop service is commanding high fares especially in J..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 97):
Haven't heard that rumor before now, but honestly I would not be surprised if they actually did. The A330 is a better fit for LGW-KIN I think than the B744. Also it would be beneficial for travelers to have a choice on that route as I am certain BA charges a premium ( as any other carrier would ) being the only carrier on it at the moment. Still expecting them to also announce MAN-MBJ in the future. On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised either if BA decide to restart LGW-MBJ sometime with a more suitable aircraft, even though in the same breath, I know that isn't a priority for them right now.

I believed, BA jumped the gun, when they pulled out of MBJ...Am pretty sure with the relaxation of the ADP taxes, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

yankeejuliet

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 98):
Interesting, one would have thought BW would be on this route by now...

BW has their own agenda, they do not cater for Jamaican tourism or the economy. BW needs a marketing arm in the tourist industry. Because of their culture they closed prime gateways such as Chicago, Baltimore, Philly and Los Angeles, which was once served by JM .I cannot support this culture.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos