Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

guyanam

RE: Palisadoes Rd...Jamaican Thread 48

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:18 am

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 99):

I wonder why BW must undertake the cost and risk of marketing to the leisure market, given that US carriers will always be preferred? These routes that are profitable, are well served by US carriers. Indeed JM was losing market share on all of trhem before they closed down.

When foreign carriers think a route is risky they demand revenue guarantees. If Jamaica needs BW to assume risk then they ought to do the same.

Let us remember why JM collapsed. Its because it lost money on those same leisure markets that you want BW to risk. Especially to ATL, ORD, and LAX.

BW needs to stay with its VFR market. After all if it tries a leisure and fails, its the T&T taxpayer who will have to pick up the bill.

yankeejuliet

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 100):
BW needs to stay with its VFR market. After all if it tries a leisure and fails, its the T&T taxpayer who will have to pick up t

BW should sell out their JM stake and concentrate on its core routes.

guyanam

Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:48 am

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 101):

BW doesn't have any JM holdings to sell. You know full well that JM no longer exists. You also know full well that BW is only on the route because Bruce Golding begged Patrick Manning to take over the routes, when the IMF demanded that he shut down JM. Golding feared the political ramifications of closing JM so assigned the Air Jamaica brand to the BW routes..

The existing T&T president, was in the opposition, and was violently against that deal, as indeed were most Trinidadians.
Tell the Jamaican govt to sell their equity holdings back to the Govt of T&T if that is how you feel. They will get ZERO though.

jm017

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 98):

I believed, BA jumped the gun, when they pulled out of MBJ...Am pretty sure with the relaxation of the ADP taxes, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Well they cited an inability to fill premium seats or maintain sustainable yields. At the time it was a reasonable decision for them to make.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 100):
Let us remember why JM collapsed. Its because it lost money on those same leisure markets that you want BW to risk. Especially to ATL, ORD, and LAX.

BW has their own agenda, they do not cater for Jamaican tourism or the economy.

It is tough to target tourists and remain viable. Aren't they mostly low-yield? BW is not set up for that. JM tried it and it failed. I do not think it is a good strategy.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

yankeejuliet

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:36 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 102):

The whole situation is just very sickening. The govt of the day should stick to the selection procedures instead of running to Trinidad by night in a panic. I am sure the second runner up would have done better, given their track record and experience in this business. They own three other carriers including spirit airlines.

jm017

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:00 am

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 104):
The whole situation is just very sickening. The govt of the day should stick to the selection procedures instead of running to Trinidad by night in a panic. I am sure the second runner up would have done better, given their track record and experience in this business. They own three other carriers including spirit airlines.

Yeah, sometimes an outsider or stranger is the best option. I think a lot of folks here were against BW and with good reason.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

guyanam

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:46 am

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 104):
http://www.caribbeanavenue.com/aviation/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2972

http://www.caribbeanavenue.com/aviation/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3589

Don't know where you are getting your facts but the owners of Spirit Airline were offered an opportunity to acquire Air Jamaica. That deal collapsed. The IMF told Golding, either close down JM or no money. Golding fled to T&T to beg BW to absprb JMs routes.

The Govt of T&T. not only agreed, but set aside millions of dollars to fund the transition, and offered Jamaica ownership interests even though they had not ivested ONE PENNY in the new operation.

As you can see not every one was happy, even Rowley who was a major figure within the PNM

airjamaica

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:47 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 98):
I believed, BA jumped the gun, when they pulled out of MBJ...Am pretty sure with the relaxation of the ADP taxes, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Have a feeling they will be back on it in the future. But I would really like to see VS back in KIN though.

Apparently a B6 flight from KIN had to make an emergency landing shortly after take off yesterday evening because of smoke in the cockpit.............

'' A Jet Blue flight which had just taken off from the Norman Manley International Airport (NMIA) in Kingston was forced to turn back and make an emergency landing this evening.

Alfred McDonald, senior director of commercial development and planning at the Airports Authority of Jamaica, told the Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre that the flight, with 98 passengers and four crew members, landed safely. ''

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=52020

Good to hear that it landed safely. I am not sure if it was the flight destined to FLL ( E190 ) or JFK ( A320 ) as both depart late evening.
airjamaica

LimaMike

Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 107):
Good to hear that it landed safely. I am not sure if it was the flight destined to FLL ( E190 ) or JFK ( A320 ) as both depart late evening.

B6 Flt#876 KIN-FLL E190. After landing the aircraft was evacuated on the runway via emergency slides.
Cleared for takeoff!

yankeejuliet

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 106):
Don't know where you are getting your facts but the owners of Spirit Airline were offered an opportunity to acquire Air Jamaica. That deal collapsed. The IMF told Golding, either close down JM or no money. Golding fled to T&T to beg BW to absprb JMs routes.

The Spirit deal did not collapse. They were forced out because the govt of the day wanted the hand over operations to BW as they tought a regional carrier would be better and BW would address all our tourism and VFR needs. This idea failed miserably.

airjamaica

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:14 am

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 108):
B6 Flt#876 KIN-FLL E190. After landing the aircraft was evacuated on the runway via emergency slides.

OK. I get the impression that the A320 is rarely used on the KIN-FLL route nowadays, even during the peak periods. Or do they still use them on it at times ?

The competition on the KIN-MBJ route is heating up. InterCaribbean Airways will offer 16 weekly flights between the two locations. Their introductory fares will be approximately half of what the competition is currently charging. Flights start mid April...............................

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...Kingston-to-MoBay-flights_16387395

Travelers will like the additional option I am sure. Knutsford Express is still one of the most economical option, for those who don't mind the 4 hour journey.
airjamaica

guyanam

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 109):

The deal collapsed for some reason other than what you stated. The focus was on Spirit, and then somthing happened, and then BW as back in the game.

There is absolutely NO WAY that any one could have imagined that BW, which is NOT a leisure carrier, will suddenly become one in a market as competitive as Jamaica. There is no route served by JM which isnt already served by many US carriers, except LAX which is extremely unprofitable. Jamaica has no hortage of carriers to serve its leisure markets. Maybe this is the story that people might be peddling, but this defies logic.

JM was a money losing airline, operating the routes that you demand that BW operate. Because Jamaica is a tourist economy and TRinidad isnt, BW doesnt place priority on the leisure markets. Indeed when BWIA was closed and CAL reploaced it, service to more leisure oriented islands like BGI and ANU from North America was terminated. The focus shifted to the POS/GEO markets whcih are VFR and business oriented. Leisure routes are low yield, especially when it comes to small foreign carriers who lack the FF and brand identity that will attract most North American visitors.

So why would the Govt of Jamaica expect BW to operate routes that it wasnt prepared to financially support? Do you think that T&T taxpayers should underwrite losses against US carriers on the BWI and PHL routes? Making note of the fact that the US carriers operate out of hubs where they are well known, and where JM, prior to its closeure, was losing market share because of unreliable service.

The reality is that Spirit made demands that Jamaica wasnt willing to accept, and they had run out of options, aside from a quick trip to Trinidad.

And just to show how uninterested the Jamaican govt is in supporting BW, they allowed OJ to enter the market. Given its VFR focus, obviously the carrier who would have lost out is BW.

What support has Jamaica provided BW which merits it making demands that BW should lose money? As it is all the money invested to support this route came from TRINIDAD! Not ONE PENNY from Jamaica!

yankeejuliet

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 111):

And just to show how uninterested the Jamaican govt is in supporting BW, they allowed OJ to enter the market. Given its VFR focus, obviously the carrier who would have lost out is BW

Dont worry yourself, you will soon at least two other entrants in the market. One is 80% complete with paper work, hence you will see new large pockets of tourist entering the market. VFR will gravitate even more to new Jamaican carriers. BW needs to prevent this from happening or face the consequences.

guyanam

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:00 am

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 112):

I see so you think that the T&T tax payer should be held liable for any losses that BW makes on its KIN routes, while the Govt of Jamaica allows any new player in. This while T&T derives no benefit for these routes. This being a favor to Jamaica due to Patrick Manning's huge ego.

The only people who got burnt in that deal were the tax payers of T&T. Golding saved embarrassment when Manning bailed him out by taking over JM routes and keeping alive the Air Jamaica brand. This so that he would not have to face the fall out of having to explain to Jamaicans why Air Jamaica failed. He could blame the Trinidadians.

T&T poured millions of dollars in an attempt to build its KIN operations. Jamaica has an open skies agreement, allowing every one to fly there.

Don't know what your grouse with BW is. It is clear that Jamaica has NO shortage of interested parties in providing airiine service. So your insistence that BW should resume service on routes where JM lost millions of dollars is baffling. BW has no more obligations to fly routes where they aren't sure that they can succeed than does any other carrier.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:47 pm

BW needs a marketing arm in the tourist industry.

At the time, they were not interested in this dual market concept..This is when the previous admin decided to relinquish their monopoly on the FLL-KIN route..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 110):
Travelers will like the additional option I am sure. Knutsford Express is still one of the most economical option, for those who don't mind the 4 hour journey.

A win win for the travelling public. I expect many airlines will interline with Inter Caribbean to offer seamless transfer between KIN and MBJ..Also, with the expected success of the route, I expect them to open new Caribbean routes and hopefully a hub operation in MBJ..

This is their featured ad in the media..
Am not sure, how Knutsford Express will respond to this new competition..I can see a lot of corporate contracts heading their way..

Here is a feature on the new service..

"I am thrilled that there will be new scheduled air service between Kingston and Montego Bay," said John Lynch, Jamaica's Director of Tourism. "The service will be particularly helpful for travellers from the UK and Europe as there will be a seamless connection to get them into either city. Passengers on airlines like Southwest, which do not fly into Kingston, will also be facilitated." "I commend interCaribbean Airways for their foresight," continued Mr Lynch. "They saw the need for improved domestic service and in filling the need, has provided additional benefits to Destination Jamaica."

Alfred McDonald, Senior Director Commercial Development and Planning, Norman Manley International Airport Limited, said the new service by interCaribbean is timely, as the airline offers direct connections between Jamaica's two main international airports and offer passengers traveling to either airport, a convenient and quick inter-island air link, closer to their final destination in Jamaica. He added that passengers travelling to Jamaica on airlines such as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, which fly into NMIA and SIA respectively, will no doubt welcome the news.

Mr. Trevor Sadler, CEO of interCaribbean Airways, said the introduction of these new services and their international connections, is the culmination of years of effort by Chairman Mr. Lyndon Gardiner concerning his work towards an airline that truly connects the Caribbean. It is his belief that this connectivity is not just possible, but necessary to support a greater Caribbean economy, and with the support of Jamaica and the business community, we are now about to realize the next step in the growth of the company.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/interc...es-kingston-montego-172400433.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FlyJam will be utilizing a Dynamic Airways B762 aircraft until Apr 6.

http://www.fly-jamaica.com/articles/...rated-by-a-leased-aircraft-apr-3-6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont worry yourself, you will soon at least two other entrants in the market. One is 80% complete with paper work, hence you will see new large pockets of tourist entering the market. VFR will gravitate even more to new Jamaican carriers. BW needs to prevent this from happening or face the consequences.

Cant wait..I hope they acquire a fleet of airbus...
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

yellowtail

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:49 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 114):
A win win for the travelling public. I expect many airlines will interline with Inter Caribbean to offer seamless transfer between KIN and MBJ..Also, with the expected success of the route, I expect them to open new Caribbean routes and hopefully a hub operation in MBJ..

IF they could bridge the gap to BZE or SAP (pretty sure the E120 can do it)….Couple of Carriers would be eager to hook up and cooperate…..9N, TAG, and CMairlines already have a cooperative agreement and JY would fit in quite nicely.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

yankeejuliet

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Cant wait..I hope they acquire a fleet of airbus...

This is the way to go for maximum efficiency.

guyanam

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:50 pm

the notion that tourists are going to gravitate to some new fly by nite with a primitive website is laughable. If they don't use BW, which is the 8th largest airline into JFK, they aren't using any one plane outfit.

I also look forward to any information suggesting that OJ flies more people on the JFK KIN route than BW. This is entirely VFR or outbound Jamaicans.

If I were OJ I would be very upset about another Jamaican airline into its routes. The market is finite and so all it is will be more seats chasing more passengers, diminidshing yields, and increasing the probability of a poorly capitalized airline failing. Note. The record of private sector airlines in the Caribbean succeeding is bad. Name ONE competing on international routes, which has succeeded in the long run. Even Insel Air has problems now, and they had seemed to be the exception.

a340jamaica

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 118):
I also look forward to any information suggesting that OJ flies more people on the JFK KIN route than BW. This is entirely VFR or outbound Jamaicans.

If OJ hangs around long enough, they are going to pull VFR traffic from BW and B6 for that matter in the Jamaican market. I am one of the folks who BW has permanently lost since JM's demise and there are still quite a few of us out there. There is simply no logical reason to use them now when FF miles etc. from the US majors are considered and the emotional appeal to national pride that JM relied on is non-existent. Whether OJ hangs around is another matter however. I agree that more carriers in competition will diminish the likelihood of success of any of them. They should try to find some way to cooperate and increase the likelihood of success vs. the likes of BW and B6.

guyanam

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:34 am

Quoting a340jamaica (Reply 119):

My point being that I see no need for several under capitalized airlines struggling against each other, when even the mighty JM ultimately failed. With vastly more support from Jamaicans than any of these carriers will ever get. Remember that JM was a defacto monopoly on key VFR routes into KIN.

B6 is a strong carrier and definitely has its Jamaican fan base, even if BW doesn't. If Jamaica wants the assurance that there will be a local carrier the n they ought to pick one, and do as much as they can to support it. Of what use is there for OJ and another Jamaican airline to compete against each other (BW will have gone) to JFK and FLL, with B6 laughing at them? B6 can under cut them and do all sorts of mischief if they really want the market.

airjamaica

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:13 pm

FlyJam will be utilizing a Dynamic Airways B762 aircraft until Apr 6.

I think this is the first time OJ is utilizing Dynamic Airways B762 ( ? )

Seem there is discontent among Jamaican ( and T & T ) based BW pilots regarding some aspects of their remuneration package..........

'' Caribbean Airlines (CAL) pilots in Jamaica yesterday joined their colleagues in Trinidad in registering disgust at the company's failure to pay them their full salaries over the past four years. ''

'' The move by the Jamaican pilots, he said, was a show of solidarity and unity with their Trinidadian colleagues, as the variable incentive payments to the Jamaicans have been long outstanding. "

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/CAL-pilots-fed-up_16453744

I recall there were issues pertaining to this subject in the past but I thought it was resolved long ago.
airjamaica

yankeejuliet

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 120):
think this is the first time OJ is utilizing Dynamic Airways B762 ( ? )

OJ needs to be careful when hiring a/c from ad hoc operators for passenger services. Dynamic is a new chater operator which uses four 26-28.5 year old retired boeing 767-200 aircraft. Cheap wet leases are not always the best.

A388

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:46 pm

Hummingbird thanks for the inter Caribbean Airways special offer. I wish they started last year. I had to use Knutsford Express and even though you do see parts of Jamaica I would have preferred to fly but the Caribbean Airlines fares were too expensive.

A388

airjamaica

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 121):
OJ needs to be careful when hiring a/c from ad hoc operators for passenger services. Dynamic is a new chater operator which uses four 26-28.5 year old retired boeing 767-200 aircraft. Cheap wet leases are not always the best.

I know they also use SY at times to operate for them.

This is their featured ad in the media..
Am not sure, how Knutsford Express will respond to this new competition..I can see a lot of corporate contracts heading their way..
Quoting A388 (Reply 122):
I wish they started last year. I had to use Knutsford Express and even though you do see parts of Jamaica I would have preferred to fly but the Caribbean Airlines fares were too expensive.

Will be interesting to see what fares InterCaribbean will subsequently charge after the introductory period has elapsed. But yes I have also heard complaints about the cost of flying between KIN and MBJ nowadays.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 123):

I think this is the first time OJ is utilizing Dynamic Airways B762 ( ? )
[/quote]

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 121):

Yes,this is the first time, they have contracted Dynamic Airways..The aircraft was ferried to RDU from KIN last Sunday..

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/F...1/history/20140406/1138Z/MKJP/KRDU

Quoting A388 (Reply 122):
Hummingbird thanks for the inter Caribbean Airways special offer. I wish they started last year. I had to use Knutsford Express and even though you do see parts of Jamaica I would have preferred to fly but the Caribbean Airlines fares were too expensive.

A388
Quoting airjamaica (Reply 123):
Will be interesting to see what fares InterCaribbean will subsequently charge after the introductory period has elapsed. But yes I have also heard complaints about the cost of flying between KIN and MBJ nowadays.

You are welcome..

I am happy they finally received approval to start domestic services..A few years ago, they applied to service ex JM Express routes and they were denied ( politics). Currently BW and Airspeed Charter are the only two carries serving the market..BW's fares range between $61-$80, while Airspeed's range is $120..With such low introductory fares, surely, there will be a demand for services as the fares also compete with Knutsford Shuttle..But come this summer, I expect to see a gradual increase in fares..

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140402/business/business9.html

They are also looking to expand into The South American market.

InterCaribbean Airways (formerly Air Turks & Caicos) is pursuing plans to expand its operations from the Western Caribbean into parts of South America.

The airline recently announced plans to introduce domestic flights in Jamaica, plus its connecting flights from Providenciales (capital of Turks & Caicos) to cities Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Bahamas, Haiti, and flights connecting the Dominican Republic and Jamaica, Haiti and Puerto Rico.

But according to Trevor Sadler, CEO of Inter Caribbean Airways, the objective is to go beyond these island destinations and penetrate the South American market.

“Some of what we are about to do will provide connectivity to South America with one stop to get into Kingston. So, we’re about layering every possible opportunity, be it for the visiting friends or family, be it for the business person, be it for the vacationer, to be able to have more choices, and with that, we hope to be able to build a solid base on which business will multiply, Saddler told RJR News”

http://rjrnewsonline.com/business/in...eking-to-expand-into-south-america

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Inter Caribbean began domestic flights between KIN and MBJ yesterday..
Here is a pic of the water cannon salute in KIN..

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/3317F27E-EB94-41C1-8AFF-804053FD24F6_zps6yxha65y.jpg

airjamaica

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 124):
They are also looking to expand into The South American market.

InterCaribbean Airways (formerly Air Turks & Caicos) is pursuing plans to expand its operations from the Western Caribbean into parts of South America.

They seem to have very big expansion plans in the region. Hopefully it will work out for them.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 125):
Inter Caribbean began domestic flights between KIN and MBJ yesterday..
Here is a pic of the water cannon salute in KIN..

InterCaribbean aircraft looking good at Manley. For a moment I thought that was MBJ when I glanced at the photo, but then I saw the NMIA on the fire truck.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 126):

I hope to see more expansion on their part..

------------------------------------------------

Guys, DL has returned on the trunk JFK-KIN route..

DELTA from 20DEC14 is adding Saturday-only service from New York JFK to the Caribbean, with service to Grand Cayman and Kingston, on board Boeing 737-800 aircraft. Planned operation as follow.

New York JFK – Kingston
DL699 JFK1700 – 2050KIN 73H 6
DL737 KIN0800 – 1145JFK 73H

LimaMike

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:57 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 127):

DELTA from 20DEC14 is adding Saturday-only service from New York JFK to the Caribbean, with service to Grand Cayman and Kingston, on board Boeing 737-800 aircraft. Planned operation as follow.

New York JFK – Kingston
DL699 JFK1700 – 2050KIN 73H 6
DL737 KIN0800 – 1145JFK 73H

To offset any seat shortage from the other carriers (B6, BW, OJ) on the KIN-JFK route during Christmas?   
This Saturday-only JFK-KIN experiment didnt last very long the 1st time of trying. Aside from the change of equipment; planned B738 vs B757 then, what else is expected to be different this time in terms of outcome?
Cleared for takeoff!

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 128):
To offset any seat shortage from the other carriers (B6, BW, OJ) on the KIN-JFK route during Christmas?
This Saturday-only JFK-KIN experiment didnt last very long the 1st time of trying. Aside from the change of equipment; planned B738 vs B757 then, what else is expected to be different this time in terms of outcome?

I think, with the new departure and arrival pattern, they will be able to offer a year round service and I expect them to increase the service for 2015..I believe, its a smart move on their part as they are now able to offer more connections out of JFK and am pretty sure, this flight will connect with VS's service..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA will increase KIN-MIA to 4 daily in Dec..

AA MIA-KIN DEC 3>4

Also, there are changes to DFW-MBJ.
AA DFW-MBJ AUG 1.0>0.8 SEP 0.7>0.4 OCT 0.7>0.4 NOV 0.7>0.9 DEC 0.7>1.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new carrier will soon operate PBI to KIN and MBJ services.

Global Air Jets (West Palm Beach Int'l) is a public charter start-up that has started offering weekly flights between West Palm Beach Int'l and Montego Bay with effect from April 20. Flights to Kingston Norman Manley are scheduled to begin on May 18 with additional destinations planned for in the future. Operations are handled by Swift Air (USA) (Q7, Phoenix Sky Harbor) with B737-400s. .

On their website, they are advertising Champagne flights..

http://www.globalairjets.com/

airjamaica

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 128):
Quoting hummingbird (Reply 129):
I think, with the new departure and arrival pattern, they will be able to offer a year round service and I expect them to increase the service for 2015..I believe, its a smart move on their part as they are now able to offer more connections out of JFK and am pretty sure, this flight will connect with VS's service..

Not surprised that they are back on the JFK-KIN route. This is DL we are talking about here, and they are well known for their ad-hoc, on/off/on operation to some Caribbean destinations. Let us see how it will play out this time around. Atleast they were smart enough to use a B738 as opposed to a B752. I assume JFK-GCM will also be 1x weekly with a B738 ( ? )

AA will increase KIN-MIA to 4 daily in Dec..

AA MIA-KIN DEC 3>4

Will they be operating 4x daily this summer as well ?

A new carrier will soon operate PBI to KIN and MBJ services.

Global Air Jets (West Palm Beach Int'l) is a public charter start-up that has started offering weekly flights between West Palm Beach Int'l and Montego Bay with effect from April 20. Flights to Kingston Norman Manley are scheduled to begin on May 18 with additional destinations planned for in the future. Operations are handled by Swift Air (USA) (Q7, Phoenix Sky Harbor) with B737-400s. .
On their website, they are advertising Champagne flights..

http://www.globalairjets.com/

Interesting. Their information on the website seem to be all over the place though. At the top it states PBI-KIN starts June 2014 Tuesday 10:00 am, while lower down on the page it states flights will operate " every Sunday " . Also it further states PBI-MBJ starts July 2014. Time will tell how this service will play out. I get the impression PBI-MBJ/KIN is a very small market, compared with the likes of say FLL/MIA or even MCO/TPA.

[Edited 2014-04-22 07:27:19]
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:24 am

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 130):
Not surprised that they are back on the JFK-KIN route. This is DL we are talking about here, and they are well known for their ad-hoc, on/off/on operation to some Caribbean destinations. Let us see how it will play out this time around. Atleast they were smart enough to use a B738 as opposed to a B752. I assume JFK-GCM will also be 1x weekly with a B738 ( ? )

JFK-GCM will operate 1 weekly..

Am happy to see the increase in traffic to KIN...This goes against the naysayers who tend to criticize the Jamaican travel market as low yielding..

Will they be operating 4x daily this summer as well ?

I would expect them to operate the service based on past success.

Interesting. Their information on the website seem to be all over the place though. At the top it states PBI-KIN starts June 2014 Tuesday 10:00 am, while lower down on the page it states flights will operate " every Sunday " . Also it further states PBI-MBJ starts July 2014. Time will tell how this service will play out. I get the impression PBI-MBJ/KIN is a very small market, compared with the likes of say FLL/MIA or even MCO/TPA.

This airline if marketed properly will have no problem filling this flight..People who live in South Florida can attest to the large Jamaican community in Palm Beach and surrounding counties..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is now confirmed, Fly Jamaica will acquire a B767-300ER that was formerly operated by North American Airlines.

Fly Jamaica Airways (OJ, Kingston Norman Manley) is to lease a B767-300(ER) from Wings Aviation as part of plans to expand its international network. The ch-aviation aircraft database shows the aircraft, N762NA (msn 24876), was formerly with North American Airlines (NA, New York JFK) and is currently in storage in Goodyear.

The Jamaican airline also leases another Wings Aviation aircraft, a B757-200, for use on scheduled and charter services between Georgetown Cheddi Jagan, Guyana, Kingston Norman Manley, New York JFK and Toronto Pearson.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...-b767-to-boost-international-reach

jm079

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 am

Its a welcome addition to this market and lets not forget that KIN is growing, the demand for corporate travel to KIN is quite high thanks to Digicel and CHEC. Locating there HQ in KIN has created this demand- there is strong talk by the way that VS is considering Kingston again once the 787 joins there fleet. There is talk of summer 2016

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 131):
http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...-b767-to-boost-international-reach

Its welcome news and they need to now grow further there current route network. They have made a big impression on the Guyanese community here as the quality of there service is quite good.

airjamaica

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Am happy to see the increase in traffic to KIN...This goes against the naysayers who tend to criticize the Jamaican travel market as low yielding..
Quoting jm079 (Reply 132):
Its a welcome addition to this market and lets not forget that KIN is growing, the demand for corporate travel to KIN is quite high thanks to Digicel and CHEC. Locating there HQ in KIN has created this demand- there is strong talk by the way that VS is considering Kingston again once the 787 joins there fleet. There is talk of summer 2016

Always great to see additional services to KIN. They have billboards all over Kingston advertising their daily KIN-ATL flights, and the connecting possibilities from their home base.

This airline if marketed properly will have no problem filling this flight..People who live in South Florida can attest to the large Jamaican community in Palm Beach and surrounding counties..

Guess they will like the convenience of not having to go to MCO or FLL/MIA to catch a flight to MBJ or KIN. Again good to see KIN getting additional services.

It is now confirmed, Fly Jamaica will acquire a B767-300ER that was formerly operated by North American Airlines.
Its welcome news and they need to now grow further there current route network. They have made a big impression on the Guyanese community here as the quality of there service is quite good. [quote]

Good to hear that aircraft # 2 is finally on the way. Have heard positive feedbacks re their in-flight services.

[quote=jm079,reply=132]there is strong talk by the way that VS is considering Kingston again once the 787 joins there fleet. There is talk of summer 2016

Heard mumblings of a VS return to KIN as well. Looking forward to them restarting KIN. And the B787 as well if they indeed decide to use that metal.
airjamaica

yellowtail

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 133):
Heard mumblings of a VS return to KIN as well. Looking forward to them restarting KIN. And the B787 as well if they indeed decide to use that metal.

I would say the 333 might show up first if they did KIN.

yellowtail

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 am

Always great to see additional services to KIN. They have billboards all over Kingston advertising their daily KIN-ATL flights, and the connecting possibilities from their home base.

Would love to see a pic of it. Its pretty rare that DL advertises in the Caribbean.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Since last weekend,OJ has been experiencing lengthy delays with their flights due to an ongoing mechanical problem with the B757..Today, they have dispatched a Miami Air B738 from MIA to operate the KIN-JFK-KIN flight..The B757 operated GEO-YYZ this morning and will operate YYZ-KIN later today..

Now, we only need to see a UA service linking KIN and EWR..

Its welcome news and they need to now grow further there current route network. They have made a big impression on the Guyanese community here as the quality of there service is quite good.

I assume they will use a dense configuration which will help to boost their RASM..

Nice move on their part...I can see they are trying to get a piece of the brand loyalist market in KIN.

Guess they will like the convenience of not having to go to MCO or FLL/MIA to catch a flight to MBJ or KIN. Again good to see KIN getting additional services.

Agree.

Would love to see the B787 metal in KIN..

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:28 pm

TUI Travel will base a B787 in MBJ to operate their longhaul routes.

Tui will fly six times a week to Jamaica next summer and eight times a week in winter, all on the Boeing 787. The Thomson Dream will be based at Montego Bay from winter 2014.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...rt-of-tuis-strategy-says-long.html

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/ne...rism-with-jamaican-prime-minister/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FlyJamaica is expected to receive their B763, early next month..

Just in time for the upcoming peak summer season, new comer Fly Jamaica is gearing to put a second plane into the skies.
As promised, the Jamaica-based carrier, owned by Guyanese and Jamaican entrepreneurs, has arranged for a second plane to join its fleet from early next month and with good timing, especially since it experienced problems with its B-757 that delayed passengers out of New York earlier this week.

http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/20...fly-jamaica-acquires-new-aircraft/

airjamaica

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 135):
Would love to see a pic of it. Its pretty rare that DL advertises in the Caribbean.

Just realized there is one not too far from my workplace. Will see what I can do.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 134):
I would say the 333 might show up first if they did KIN.

Ideal aircraft for the KIN route.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 137):
TUI Travel will base a B787 in MBJ to operate their longhaul routes.

I think they were making reference to the cruise ship and not the B787..........

'' In December 2014, the Thomson Dream will be stationed in Montego Bay, the only UK cruise liner to be based there for the Winter season, while customers on board will be offered a range of accommodation options with Sensatori Jamaica should they wish. ''

FlyJamaica is expected to receive their B763, early next month..

Perfect timing ! Was just about to ask when can we expect to see it. Good news indeed. I note the following statement in the article.....

'' Fly Jamaica has reported strong passenger support on its nonstop flights from Toronto to Georgetown since its start-up late last year and similarly, good news on its New York flights despite competition from Trinidadian carrier Caribbean Air and Travel Span. ''

Hopefully this trend will continue.
airjamaica

yankeejuliet

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:01 pm

As promised, the Jamaica-based carrier, owned by Guyanese and Jamaican entrepreneurs, has arranged for a second plane to join its fleet from early next month and with good timing, especially since it experienced problems with its B-757 that delayed passengers out of New York earlier this week.

Schedules should be reliable and services improved once the elderly 767-300er is properly maintained with a view to meet the high utilization in store.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu May 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 138):
I think they were making reference to the cruise ship and not the B787..........

Thanks for the correction..This is what happens when you dont have coffee in the morning, lol..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 138):
Perfect timing ! Was just about to ask when can we expect to see it. Good news indeed. I note the following statement in the article.....

'' Fly Jamaica has reported strong passenger support on its nonstop flights from Toronto to Georgetown since its start-up late last year and similarly, good news on its New York flights despite competition from Trinidadian carrier Caribbean Air and Travel Span. ''

Hopefully this trend will continue.

I anticipate them to open either MIA or FLL with this spare capacity...

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 139):
Schedules should be reliable and services improved once the elderly 767-300er is properly maintained with a view to meet the high utilization in store.

I agree..There needs to be an adjustment of their time ex JFK...Despite having an early departure, this flight heading to KIN is never ontime..

airjamaica

Fri May 02, 2014 3:00 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 140):
Thanks for the correction..This is what happens when you dont have coffee in the morning, lol..

Lol. Was puzzled at why they would want to base a 787 in MBJ when I first read the post.......

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 140):
I anticipate them to open either MIA or FLL with this spare capacity...

South Florida is a must at some point.

Stumbled upon this page today........................................

https://www.behance.net/gallery/16369347/Fly-Jamaica

Anyone have any more info on this ?
airjamaica

LimaMike

Fri May 02, 2014 2:34 pm

Perhaps it slipped by without being noticed but B6 's FLL-MBJ service has started.
Cleared for takeoff!

GUYAIR707

Sat May 03, 2014 1:54 am

So now OJ has a 763 and Travel Span has a 763, GEO will be busy for the summer. I flew on BW526 yesterday GEO-JFK and it was filled to capacity. GEO has pretty high loads to JFK, don't know what the yields will be like with all the competition.

GUYAIR707

airjamaica

Sat May 03, 2014 4:08 am

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 142):
Perhaps it slipped by without being noticed but B6 's FLL-MBJ service has started.

I remember they announced a May start up for FLL-MBJ, but I couldn't remember the exact date. Was thinking mid-May. Expecting it to do well. I will also add that NK has re-started its now seasonal FLL-KIN services, which runs throughout the summer and ends in September I think.

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 143):
So now OJ has a 763 and Travel Span has a 763, GEO will be busy for the summer. I flew on BW526 yesterday GEO-JFK and it was filled to capacity. GEO has pretty high loads to JFK, don't know what the yields will be like with all the competition.

Going to be interesting to see how GEO-JFK play out this summer and beyond. But I am pleased that OJ will now have an additional aircraft.
airjamaica

LimaMike

Sat May 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 144):
I remember they announced a May start up for FLL-MBJ, but I couldn't remember the exact date. Was thinking mid-May. Expecting it to do well.

Started May 1st. Daily E190, with upgrade to the A320 for the summer.
Cleared for takeoff!

airjamaica

Sun May 04, 2014 11:31 am

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 145):
Started May 1st. Daily E190, with upgrade to the A320 for the summer.

OK. Their loads are already looking great I notice which is not surprising. During peak periods, MBJ will now have up to 6x daily from B6 on certain days.
airjamaica

LimaMike

Tue May 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Yesterday (05/05/2014) this B752 operated GEO-KIN and then KIN-JFK, on behalf of OJ.

N567CA
Cleared for takeoff!

jm079

Wed May 07, 2014 9:52 am

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 147):
Yesterday (05/05/2014) this B752 operated GEO-KIN and then KIN-JFK, on behalf of OJ.

Caribbean Airlines sees drop in passengers, Fly Jamaica grows

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...engers--Fly-Jamaica-grows_16616261

airjamaica

Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 am

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 147):

Cool shot there of the 757.

Quoting jm079 (Reply 148):
Caribbean Airlines sees drop in passengers, Fly Jamaica grows

Looking forward to OJ's B763 introduction shortly. I note the increased numbers at MBJ. That was expected I guess, with the additional Transaero flights etc. down there.

The JCAA has made some saferty recommendations as it pertains to the AA 331 incident in 2009............

'' Among the recommendations in the 297-page report, released yesterday, were:

* Flight controllers undergo recurrent training and proficiency checks;

* The grooving of the runway to increase tyre traction in adverse weather conditions;

* The streamlining of definitions concerning runway condition; and

* American Airlines should immediately instruct their flight crews that if they use an ' advance analysis ' technique to assess landing performance, they should take all factors into account, including runway surface condition, recommended aircraft configuration, and use of recommended deceleration techniques. "

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...eport-makes-safety-recommendations
airjamaica

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos