ryu2
Topic Author

Man Uses F Ticket To Eat And Drink Free For 1 Year

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:36 am

Quote:
A man purchased a first-class ticket on China Eastern Airlines and enjoyed over 300 days of free meals and drinks at the airport’s VIP lounge at Xi'an Airport in Shaanxi, China. He kept changing the itinerary, which allowed him to feast without paying for nearly a year. When the airlines started to look into the matter, he cancelled his ticket and got a refund.
http://boingboing.net/2014/01/27/man-uses-first-class-airline-t.html

Can't imagine the lounge at Xi'an being that great, should have tried with LH First Class Terminal @ FRA or SQ Private Room @ SIN  

[Edited 2014-01-28 00:42:20]

toobz

RE: Man Uses F Ticket To Eat And Drink Free For 1 Year

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:13 am

I can't believe someone would go through that hassle damn near everyday for a free meal lol.

PanHAM

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 am

Must have been Sir Rollo Freelunch.  

I cannot imagine that it took the Airline 300 days to find out that this guy was after Catering and not going anywhere. He must have been a welcomed friend for the Lounge staff.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

LH526

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:30 am

If it's within the rules, cheapeau and kudos for his smartness  
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

Aquila3

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:48 am

With the outrageous amounts that they charge for an F ticket, I believe that is well within the calculated risk for the airliners.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

BestWestern

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:23 am

Wow - the food in Xian MU first class is truly dire. It's the sort of place that you actively avoid going to...

That's one way to game the system!
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

MadameConcorde

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:04 am

Quoting ryu2 (Thread starter):
should have tried with LH First Class Terminal @ FRA or SQ Private Room @ SIN

He would get no chance with those two. With these two airlines it is difficult enough going through card checks in the regular lounges.

You're talking about top of the luxury line in ground service here, a private car to the foot of the aircraft and all.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

ltbewr

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:39 am

I bet the airline involved will close up this loophole and they should. The airline has a right to limit the benefits to prevent abuse, this is supposed to be a benefit for reasonable delays, not for abuse.

tonystan

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:48 am

GENIUS!!!

I like his style
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

CXfirst

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:11 pm

I've thought about this a couple of times. Every time I have to buy lunch at the airport (where I work), I think to myself I should just get a completely flexible QF J class ticket, eat lunch at the Qantas Club and then change my ticket.

Nowadays with mobile boarding passes, I don't even have to see anyone face to face at check-in even.

But, I've never gone beyond the thought thinking there must be some T&C that prevents this, and don't want to waste hundreds of dollars.

-CXfirst

B747forever

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 pm

How close to departure can one cancel or change a fully refundable ticket?
Work Hard, Fly Right

davidho1985

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 10):

Many fare class allow you to cancal / change the itinerary even your original scheduled flight has been departured.
I am sure the fully flexable (i.e. the most expensive one) first class ticket allow you to do so.

May be the person is working in Xian Airport, otherwise no point to do so
as it takes hours for you go to Xian Airport and then go back to the city center.

Unflug

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Quoting davidho1985 (Reply 11):
as it takes hours for you go to Xian Airport and then go back to the city center.

And maybe the person doesn't even exist...

sw733

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:49 pm

Quoting davidho1985 (Reply 11):

Works there. Lives and/or works nearby. Taxi driver who ends up at the airport frequently. Many possibilities. Though having access to that much cash to buy a first class ticket may limit the pool a bit...

PanHAM

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:04 pm

anytime after the flight departed. Did that involuntarily a couple of times for good reasons. You simply Change the booking which in my cases was for the next available flight and print yourself a new Boarding pass.

The old one can be kept or thrown away and if the route is in high demand the carrier may even fill the seat with stand by Pax.

'm not sure if the guy here deserves kudos, IMHO rather not but the carrier is at own fault here by allowing a ticket change 300 times without questioning the customer.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

a380787

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:23 pm

China Eastern has officially come out to debunk the story already

ORDnHKG

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 7):
I bet the airline involved will close up this loophole and they should. The airline has a right to limit the benefits to prevent abuse, this is supposed to be a benefit for reasonable delays, not for abuse.

No, they shouldn't be, that's what a fully refundable ticket supposed to be, cancel at any time you want.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 14):
anytime after the flight departed. Did that involuntarily a couple of times for good reasons. You simply Change the booking which in my cases was for the next available flight and print yourself a new Boarding pass.

The old one can be kept or thrown away and if the route is in high demand the carrier may even fill the seat with stand by Pax.

No, you can cancel your ticket right before you board the plane at the gate as well. And this apply to both refundable and non-refundable ticket. (non-refundable ticket of course will have penalty)

Quoting sw733 (Reply 13):
Though having access to that much cash to buy a first class ticket may limit the pool a bit...

A domestic first class refundable ticket is not that expensive, and some airlines charge cheaper than others to attract last minute business travelers. And if you work with a travel agent, they can work with you to get a good deal because it is a full fare F ticket.

Flighty

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:46 pm

I was gonna say. The guy has to be either Chinese or Scottish.

varigb707

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Quoting toobz (Reply 1):
free meal lol.

Free? didn't he pay for a ticket? If somehow he used it afterwards, than i'd give him some credit. Oh well...
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

shufflemoomin

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:49 pm

P

Quoting Flighty (Reply 17):
I was gonna say. The guy has to be either Chinese or Scottish.

Pretty unfair stereotyping. How'd you like it if someone assumed he must be American because he went to such lengths to get more food?

PanHAM

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Quoting ORDnHKG (Reply 16):
No, you can cancel your ticket right before you board the plane at the gate as well. And this apply to both refundable and non-refundable ticket. (non-refundable ticket of course will have penalty)
(Reply 13):

why should I cancel a fully refundable and changeable C ticket? The Intention was to catch those flights but they closed the doors. Happens. On some routes there are between 12 and 17 flights per day, the next one is an hour away.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

PanAm1971

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:03 pm

This sounds like something an Anutter would do.  

exFWAOONW

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:18 pm

True story or not, would the interest the airline made holding onto the fare for 300 days pay for the food? Likely not, but they wouldn't be out a lot.
Maybe he was a good tipper, so employees looked the other way.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

Moose135

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Quoting varigb707 (Reply 18):
Free? didn't he pay for a ticket? If somehow he used it afterwards, than i'd give him some credit. Oh well..

From the article linked by the OP:
When the airlines started to look into the matter, he cancelled his ticket and got a refund.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Flighty

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 19):
How'd you like it if someone assumed he must be American because he went to such lengths to get more food?

Americans love to spend money... plus they are not this clever.   

exFWAOONW

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Oh we're clever when we want to be. Most of us are too clever to throw that much cash for a "free" meal.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

sandyb123

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Love the ignorence of this statement...

Quoting exFWAOONW (Reply 25):

Oh we're clever when we want to be. Most of us are too clever to throw that much cash for a "free" meal.

But obviously not clever enough to read the article... He got a full refund so it was 'free'. Or he could have taken the flight for which he had paid and all the meals he'd taken on previous aboarted trip would still be free.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

SuseJ772

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Quoting LH526 (Reply 3):
If it's within the rules, cheapeau and kudos for his smartness  

Agreed.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 7):

Ohh lighten up. This can't be that big of a problem

Quoting tonystan (Reply 8):
GENIUS!!!

I like his style

I do too.

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 19):
Pretty unfair stereotyping. How'd you like it if someone assumed he must be American because he went to such lengths to get more food?

I'd laugh it off and think that was a funny clever statement on part of the individual making it.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

B747forever

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Quoting ORDnHKG (Reply 16):

So I can buy a fully refundable J ticket, check in, pass security and get access into a lounge. Then just before boarding can I go to the gate and cancel the ticket and get a full refund without any problems? I guess that I would have to leave the departure area immediately afterwards.

Would I in theory be able to get into a lounge by buying a refundable J ticket on airline X while I am waiting for my economy flight on airline Y?
Work Hard, Fly Right

AR385

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:08 pm

Quoting toobz (Reply 1):
I can't believe someone would go through that hassle damn near everyday for a free meal lol.

Somebody wrote that this is bogus. If it is not, I bow to the guy for thinking outside the box. Wow!

An F ticket you can be a no show and it is still valid. for however many flights you want. It´s the most flexible ticket out there.

Italianflyer

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:13 pm

None of the MU staff realized the same guy was lizzarding around for almost a year???   

Yflyer

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:16 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 28):
Would I in theory be able to get into a lounge by buying a refundable J ticket on airline X while I am waiting for my economy flight on airline Y?

That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George and Kramer buy a couple of international tickets so they could shop at the duty free store or something like that, except Kramer screws up and buys non-refundable "super saver" tickets.

BestWestern

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 13):
Though having access to that much cash to buy a first class ticket may limit the pool a bit...

A one way first class ticket from Xi'an can be bought for 1020 CNY or USD 168 - or just over 50c a meal.

Again, the food in the first class lounges in XI'an is really bad. There would be no hot food, just cup noodles, snacks and warm coca cola served from a plugged out pepsi cola fridge.

BTW - in China, IKEA had to change the terms and conditions of the family card - thousands of OAP's were basically living in Ikea for the free coffee, taking afternoon naps in the bedroom displays, and shoes off on the sofa area! At least in Ikea the food is edible and staff friendly.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

777STL

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 9):
I've thought about this a couple of times. Every time I have to buy lunch at the airport (where I work), I think to myself I should just get a completely flexible QF J class ticket, eat lunch at the Qantas Club and then change my ticket.

I used to do something similar. I had a QF Pub membership that allowed me reciprocal rights with other OW airlines' clubs. However, you would have to be traveling on this certain airline in order to use the reciprocal rights. Well, if I wasn't flying with that airline that day but still wanted to use their club, I'd book a full refundable ticket to anywhere on this airline and use their club.

Granted, I only did it a handful of times because it would be a PITA to do on a regular basis.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 28):

Yeah, that's basically what I did. You don't have to refund it before the flight leaves as long as you don't board the plane.
PHX based

kl692

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:07 am

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 26):

Love the ignorence of this statement...

Quoting exFWAOONW (Reply 25):

But obviously not clever enough to read the article... He got a full refund so it was 'free'. Or he could have taken the flight for which he had paid and all the meals he'd taken on previous aboarted trip would still be free.

Sandyb123
Quoting Flighty (Reply 24):
Americans love to spend money... plus they are not this clever.  

here we go, this is gonna make my night shift go by faster
A310, A330,A346,B73H, B747,B772,B77W,CRJ

ADent

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:42 am

Some airlines take awhile to process a refund - 30 days or more.

However rebooking onto the next days flight can happen in seconds or minutes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos