Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NWAESC

RE: Delta's New "80's" Safety Video

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 12):
Loved the DEVO cameo.

+1

Quoting jtl11968 (Reply 21):
Am I the only one old enough to recognize the red hat guy really was Jerry Casale from DEVO?

Sadly, no...  
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

AM

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:42 pm

Much better than the recent VX hipster video in my opinion.

Well done, Delta.

AM
"... for there you have been and there you will long to return."

cjg225

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Quoting Beechtobus (Reply 50):
I mean a Teddy Ruxpin doll? People under 30 and over 40 are going to have no clue what that is, and just think its a creepy talking teddy bear (which is exactly what it is).

The only reason I recognize it as a 26 year old is that it was referenced in an epic rant by a Detroit radio personality a few years ago and I looked it up so I could understand how much he was denigrating the Michigan State coaching staff. lol

Quoting beiaard (Reply 44):

Perhaps. Having lived near Philly for 24 years, though, I am going to stick with my assumption. People can move. That's why I said "originally." It's unlikely she lives there now as a Delta FA, but I hear a lot of Philly in her voice. And, like with many big cities, the accent of the city dwellers is significantly different than those of the region in which the city rests (in this case the Mid-Atlantic), so saying how a Mid-Atlantic dweller, generally, would pronounce those words doesn't really have much of an impact on whether she's from Philly.

But, anyway, just a thought I had. Could be wrong, could be right. I just get very irked by Philly dwellers' pronunciation, and her's caught my attention.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

srbmod

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 43):
Please review the safety card in the seat pocket in front of you ... and don't call me Shirley.

Capt. Oveur did ads for AirTran....

Quoting Beechtobus (Reply 50):
People under 30 and over 40 are going to have no clue what that is, and just think its a creepy talking teddy bear (which is exactly what it is).

Folks over 40 will remember it, as they will remember the commercials or had a younger sibling or relative that had one.

Quoting mayor (Reply 49):
For a long time after Delta started service Diet Coke, they still had Tab available.....turns out the only ones drinking Tab were the F/As because the only place you found the empty Tab cans was in the two garbage recepticals back by the lavs on the 727s and the only people that used those recepticals was the F/As.

Surprisingly, Coke still makes Tab and sells it in the US and several other countries, as some people prefer it to Diet Coke/Coca-Cola Light or Coke Zero.

cokepopper
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 47):

DL safety videos are always far longer than they need to be. In the end my favorite videos are the shortest. After seeing it once, I'd rather just get it over with.

Of course you would, no surprise here.

Quoting mayor (Reply 48):
For a long time after Delta started service Diet Coke, they still had Tab available.....turns out the only ones drinking Tab were the F/As because the only place you found the empty Tab cans was in the two garbage recepticals back by the lavs on the 727s and the only people that used those recepticals was the F/As.

caught lol, you know us well.  

SuseJ772

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 34):
W+K was behind these modular safety videos

W+K does some great work.

Quoting n7371f (Reply 39):
If you fly 5-8 times a month like me, it's painful after the second time.

Just ignore it then. If you fly 5-8 times a month, you know what to do in an emergency. You will be glad though that for the rest of the 90% of the plane who only flies one time a year watches the video because it is creative in the event of an emergency.

Not to mention, she's a Delta FA...if we're betting whether a Delta FA is from Minnesota or Philly, my money is on Minnesota.  

I am with you. Minnesota.

Loved the video, though. Anyone else catch the beverage of the guy at 4:28 after she was talking about the tabs on the life vests?

I caught him drinking Tab. I didn't catch that it correlated to the safety tabs. Brilliant.

Quoting Beechtobus (Reply 49):
People under 30 and over 40 are going to have no clue what that is, and just think its a creepy talking teddy bear (which is exactly what it is).

Yes they will, becuase anyone over 40 would have been constantly nagged to buy one.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 53):
Folks over 40 will remember it, as they will remember the commercials or had a younger sibling or relative that had one.

Exactly.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

mayor

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Quoting Beechtobus (Reply 49):

People over 40 will have searched high and low for one when they were on sale......we know, all to well what they are, even at age 66.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

max999

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Quoting italianflyer (Reply 15):

She is former NWA, I flew with her many times. Actually there a several familiar NW faces in this version.

If this was the 80's and she's a former NW staff, shouldn't she be wearing an old NW uniform?!?! haha

No, she has a number of features that point to the Upper Midwest dialect and Norther Cities Vowel Shift, among them:

I agree she's from the Upper Midwest. Having lived there for a number of years, I hear it from her and recognize that this is how people generally speak there.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Beechtobus

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 52):
Quoting suseJ772 (Reply 55):

Ok, I retract my point about people over 40 not remembering Teddy Ruxpin. I guess I didn't take into account that this would be highly marketed to the folks that would actually be purchasing these and not just the kids they purchasing them for. I stand by my assertion that they are creepy though.

TwoSixLeft

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 7):
Loved the younger "Deltalina" wagging her finger. Also love that "what the hell is wifi" look.

Little Deltalina was the best part for me.

I got a good chunk of the 1980s references, but it was before my time. I wonder how long Delta will keep this video before trying out a new theme.
NX37602. "Well, the airplane seems to be fairly successful."

ckfred

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:28 pm

If you look on YouTube, you can find the Delta Christmas safety video. Among other things, Ebeneezer Scrooge doesn't want to sit in an exit row. Alex Trebeck is sitting in first, and watch for the reference to the movie, "A Chistmas Story" and the annimated classic "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer".

SouthernDC9

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:53 pm

I wonder how many references/people they wanted to use but couldn't because of rights/cost issues? I assume they had to go through some channels to get ALF, Teddy R, Devo, etc. Like Having Jackie Collins and/or Linda Evans or Linda Gray in first would have been awesome, but I assume especially the Dallas reference would have been hard to make happen since it's still an ongoing concern (assuming that new version is still on?).

Other references I would have liked to have seen, in a perfect world where all participants would have been willing to work for free and various brands would have taken an anything-goes approach to the whole endeavor...

1. The Safety Dance - I seem to remember the Virgin America video being called "Safety Dance" or some such, which made me think it was going to feature Men Without Hats in some capacity (and led to immense disappointment) - would have been awesome here, I bet getting the rights to the song might have been an issue cost-wise

2. George Wendt getting on the plane and everybody yelling "Norm!" (Impossible)

3. Mrs. Garrett putting on her mask first then helping Tootie, Natalie and/or Blair with theirs (though ALF works much, much better for this, as the girls wouldn't have needed assistance, but still - Facts of Life!)

4. Blair could have also been a contender for first class

5. Angela Lansbury discovering that her seatmate is dead, knife through the heart (there was actually a Murder, She Wrote set entirely on a 747!)
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

WesternA318

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 pm

I loved Steel Panther's cameo. I wonder if they did it free or got paid for it...lol...and ALF and Teddy Ruxpin....and...was that an Atari?! I used to ahve one!

catiii

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:59 pm

Kudos to DL for a great video. Out of curiosity, how long on average have these been running?

falstaff

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Quoting OOer (Reply 2):
it's "BAG" and not "beg".
Quoting compliancecheck (Reply 3):
Maybe she is MSP based?

Or she is from Michigan's upper peninsula.

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 14):
Something was really funny about sticking the mask on ALF as well.

I love ALF.

Quoting Western727 (Reply 20):
You are Kareem. I've seen you play. My Dad's got season tickets

"You don't even try, except for in the playoffs"

Or they bought it for their children back in the 1980s.

Quoting TwoSixLeft (Reply 59):
Little Deltalina was the best part for me

I miss her grown up counterpart.

Quoting suseJ772 (Reply 55):
I caught him drinking Tab. I didn't catch that it correlated to the safety tabs. Brilliant.

I liked how his hair got taller each time they showed him.

I like the exit row guy with "Members Only" Jacket. I used to have one like that.

Great video!
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

WesternA318

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 64):
I miss her grown up counterpart.

me too!

All in all, this was an awesome video...heh, I didnt even realize that was Kareem at the end...   

SANMAN66

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:47 am

I know it would have been impossible to do, I would have love to see the safety video
filmed aboard an L-10-11, or a 727 (Delta's pride and joy of the 80's!) I figure all of
the 727s and L-10-11s are rotting or scrapped out in the desert.
PSA Gives you a lift!

catiii

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:57 am

Is the DL pilot at the end an actor or an actual pilot?

TPA0822

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:03 am

I just saw it tonight. I remember watching ALF on television in the late 80s. His home planet was Melmac. Great video DL!

mayor

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:18 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 67):
Is the DL pilot at the end an actor or an actual pilot?

Mostly, employees are used for those spots, so, yes......he's probably an actual pilot.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

FlyingSicilian

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:31 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 60):
If you look on YouTube, you can find the Delta Christmas safety video. Among other things, Ebeneezer Scrooge doesn't want to sit in an exit row. Alex Trebeck is sitting in first, and watch for the reference to the movie, "A Chistmas Story" and the annimated classic "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer".

Funny stuff. I liked the Holiday video also. The Trebek cameo where he says "What is eggnog" made me chortle LOL
Ci sono formiche qui

JetBuddy

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:40 am

I was born in 81, and this video did bring back a lot of good memories!  I got most of the referances.. I especially loved seeing Alf again.

SANMAN66

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:31 am

The kid version of Deltalina was pretty funny!   
PSA Gives you a lift!

srbmod

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:48 am

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 61):
1. The Safety Dance - I seem to remember the Virgin America video being called "Safety Dance" or some such, which made me think it was going to feature Men Without Hats in some capacity (and led to immense disappointment) - would have been awesome here, I bet getting the rights to the song might have been an issue cost-wise

There was a Men Without Hats reference at 2:15 of the video:

WesternA318

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:27 am

, but I assume especially the Dallas reference would have been hard to make happen since it's still an ongoing concern (assuming that new version is still on?).

Season 3 starts Feb 24! *grabs the popcorn*

2. George Wendt getting on the plane and everybody yelling "Norm!" (Impossible)

*pours the beer*

BD338

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 am

Didn't DL just have a new safety video which had Alex Trebek in it? if it gets people to actually take notice of something that might just save their life if the unlikely happens then it has to be a good thing. I still prefer the Air New Zealand middle earth safety video, though you've got to be a Hobbit geek to get all the references.

cjg225

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 73):

WOW. How did I not make that connection?

I was thinking of it as a ban on bowler hats or something, which would be out of place unless it was decades earlier...
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

SouthernDC9

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:17 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 73):

Holy cow, that is amazing... this is like a Wes Anderson film, where little details keep revealing themselves...
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

b727fa

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:29 pm

Anyone in uniform is a Delta crew member. All others are hired guns. They take about 20 hours to film and I'm guessing they'll run 3-6 months save for one-offs like the holiday one. Interesting note: the "What is egg nog?" bit was ad libbed and they decided to keep it.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

csavel

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Quoting DL_Mech (Reply 27):
It was a good video, but I like the NWA 757 video put out around 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HduT...foI4s

Wow, if you didn't know NW was headquarted in Minneapolis, you knew after watching that video, you betcha!
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

SouthernDC9

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:55 pm

The Radio Shack Super Bowl ad was like the Delta safety video but with a much bigger budget. ALF is really getting around these days...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos