Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YYZatcboy

RE: CNNMoney: 5 Airline Fees We Hate The Most

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:16 am

In Canada there is now a "Currency fee" on vacation packages...

http://globalnews.ca/news/1103121/va...king-on-new-35-currency-surcharge/
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

tyler81190

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:07 am

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 50):
In Canada there is now a "Currency fee" on vacation packages...

But is it the airline or the government that charges it?

AWACSooner

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:20 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
To me, the two biggest outrages are the carry-on fee and the failure to reimburse a baggage fee if lost or delayed (except AS, which guarantees your bag on the carousel within 20 minutes of arrival or your money back). The carry-on fee is especially unethical because almost every passenger travels with either a checked bag or a carry-on. Very few passengers travel with nothing bigger than a messenger bag. And so it artificially deflates the price of the ticket because virtually all passengers will have to pay a baggage fee in addition to their fare.

I'm not one for liking gov't intervention, but this is one case where I wish they'd jump in and smack NK and G4 around a bit.

sovietjet

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:32 pm

I have loopholed around NK's carry on fee almost every time I have flown them. I still hate flying them, but when tickets with them are several hundred dollars cheaper than AA or UA the choice is obvious. Just recently I was trying to book a trip to Vegas from Chicago. NK had the round trip for $326. AA and UA were both over $1000. Yea, I will gladly pay the $30 carry on fee when the price difference is that large! What the hell are they thinking with these prices, $1000+ for ORD-LAS-ORD in February?!? It's the same fantastic crappy service whether it is AA, UA or NK so why the $700 difference? They even use the same aircraft type...

[Edited 2014-01-31 07:33:50]

bond007

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:09 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 48):
Where did you get the idea their tickets are refundable? Most aren't, and those that are, are much higher-priced - just like the refundable tickets at their legacy counterparts.

No, most are refundable except for the lowest, which tend to sell out early anyway. On my routes, the first leg is only $30 extra to get a refundable fare, and less than $100 extra for return leg when those cheaper fares are available. Also upgrade to Business Plus on WN for $16 each way on that same trip. Business folks are usually not buying those cheaper ones for that reason, and the relatively small difference on WN.

Let's compare that to US for the same trip.

$219 for non-refundable one-way, $969 fully refundable coach one-way.
$238 for return, $1085 for fully-refundable .. all coach.

So, really, nobody in their right mind is going to pay $2000 for a 500 mile trip in coach, refundable or not.

Same trip WN fully refundable is around $500 which is comparable to the competition's non-refundable (high for this route for some reason, but all airlines similar pricing).

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

AWACSooner

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:55 pm

Quoting sovietjet (Reply 53):
I have loopholed around NK's carry on fee almost every time I have flown them.

Pray, do tell...how did you do it?

sovietjet

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:46 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 55):
Pray, do tell...how did you do it?

Two ways

1) On short trips (around 2 days), I usually carry my camera bag (SLR with large lens). Which is actually a backpack camera bag. Since their policy clearly states camera bags don't count as carry on I don't have to pay. But I can stuff a lot in there. For a short trip it's more than enough.

2) For longer trips, that actually require a separate carry-on. I buy the tickets online but don't buy bags online. Once at the airport, when I check in with the automatic machine I choose no bags and it prints me the boarding pass. Now, on the boarding pass there is actually a line which says "no carry-on". When I am at the gate and boarding I show them my boarding pass with my finger conveniently placed over that line. 9/10 times the person checking passes is so busy and rushed they have never said anything.

[Edited 2014-01-31 11:46:28]

Logos

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:42 pm

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 41):
Quoting OB1504 (Reply 14):
I would expect airlines to waive that fee if there is no other way to purchase those fares.

Especially since that fee will be 'Travel Claimed' by the military mbr/government employee and paid for by tax dollars.

Not necessarily. My sons who are in the Marine Corps frequently use military fares to come home for leave, which comes out of their own pockets. Sometimes those fares are cheaper, often they're more expensive than the cheapest non-refundable fare, but they're always more flexible with regard to changes which can be important as the military often changes schedules on a dime.

All that said, there's no way to get those fares apart from speaking with a live agent (a lot of guys in the military don't even know they exist because they don't appear on line), so it makes no sense to charge a fee for using the phone (which they don't).

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 54):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 48):
Where did you get the idea their tickets are refundable? Most aren't, and those that are, are much higher-priced - just like the refundable tickets at their legacy counterparts.

No, most are refundable except for the lowest, which tend to sell out early anyway.

Only their "anytime" fares and "business select" (which you're basically paying for anytime, plus priority boarding and a drink IIRC) are refundable - the other numerous fare buckets that are displayed as "wanna get away" fares are all nonrefundable, and there are multiple price points per flight, per market that fall into that category.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

bond007

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:50 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 58):
Only their "anytime" fares and "business select" (which you're basically paying for anytime, plus priority boarding and a drink IIRC) are refundable - the other numerous fare buckets that are displayed as "wanna get away" fares are all nonrefundable, and there are multiple price points per flight, per market that fall into that category.

I stand by what I said, and you only confirmed it. All fares except the lowest bucket are fully-refundable. They show 3 fares, and 2 out of 3 are fully refundable. The cheaper "wanna get away" fares are often unavailable for my schedule anyway. On most of my flights I only get the choice of refundable fares.

Prime example, only 4 out of 11 flights for my trip to BOS in 5 weeks time have the cheap fares available, so almost all options are fully refundable.

Regardless, look at my earlier examples. You simply cannot compare their refundable fares with a legacy full fare price.

Jimbo

[Edited 2014-01-31 13:59:20]
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

zippyjet

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 1):

That sucks! In a situation (WN) I'll extend a "Gesture of Good Will" to the passenger affected. Which is basically a voucher for future travel on us good for a year. Most are appreciative and I apologize and thank them for moving seats to accomodate whatever.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:42 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 59):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 58):

I stand by what I said, and you only confirmed it. All fares except the lowest bucket are fully-refundable.

You are mistaken; the top two fare levels (Business Select and Anytime) constitute a total of TWO fare buckets; while the "Wanna Get Away" fares appear in one COLUMN OF THEIR SITE but constitute MANY DIFFERENT FARES AND FARE BUCKETS.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

YYZatcboy

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:27 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 51):
But is it the airline or the government that charges it?

... Um the first paragraph of the article answers your question...

"A lower loonie is lifting the price tag on vacation packages as Canadian tour operators follow through on plans to impose new ‘currency surcharges’ starting next week." It's the "tour operators(Airlines)" that are imposing the fee.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

mrcomet

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:54 am

What I don't understand is the change fees that work against the airlines. In the old days, you were allowed to standby earlier flights and if a seat was open you could take it at no cost. Now the change fees have eliminated that. So as a previous poster noted, a plane will fly half empty and a later flight is overbooked. I have noted that when I have checked in with UA, on one occasion they asked me if I wanted to be on an earlier flight. I have also convinced on two occasions a gate agent to let me on without the change fee so there is some leeway. But it seems that airlines should change their software and alert agents to ask at checkin whether people want the earlier flight if they have time and it's better for the airline.
The dude abides

neutrino

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:55 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 33):
But the weight limits are what kill me.

I (sort of) get around that with the big pockets on my loose clothes. Stuffed the the smaller but heavier items in them. I usually put these on the top of my carry-on backpack when they are, say, up to 3kg over the 7kg limit. If the check-in agent make no fuss over them, well and good. If otherwise, I would just smilingly remove those small but heavy items and stuff them in my pockets. Sometimes, the agent even relented when the see the light (pun).
At times, when the total weight is double that allowable, I use a photographer's vest with its dozen or so pockets which can comfortably accommodate around 7kg or so.

Quoting Centre (Reply 46):
YYZ renovation is long done! yet the airport improvement fee is still there!

They should rename it the "Airport Future Improvement Fee".  
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

AWACSooner

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:58 am

Quoting sovietjet (Reply 56):
When I am at the gate and boarding I show them my boarding pass with my finger conveniently placed over that line. 9/10 times the person checking passes is so busy and rushed they have never said anything.

You sir, are AWESOME!

Quoting mrcomet (Reply 63):
What I don't understand is the change fees that work against the airlines. In the old days, you were allowed to standby earlier flights and if a seat was open you could take it at no cost. Now the change fees have eliminated that. So as a previous poster noted, a plane will fly half empty and a later flight is overbooked. I have noted that when I have checked in with UA, on one occasion they asked me if I wanted to be on an earlier flight. I have also convinced on two occasions a gate agent to let me on without the change fee so there is some leeway. But it seems that airlines should change their software and alert agents to ask at checkin whether people want the earlier flight if they have time and it's better for the airline.

I never got the logic of this either...especially on WN (and they had the audacity to print out a "why can't I just go standby" flyer)...I cannot tell you how many flights I've seen overbooked when there were folks on that flight begging to go standby on an earlier flight, but the carrier refused without a fee.

srbmod

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 47):
I agree... People should really choose their seats when they book if they want to sit next to each other.

Not all airlines allow you do to so unless you want to pay a fee. Here's a list of some airlines that charge you for advance seat assignment:

AirTran: $10-$30
Allegiant: Free-$80
Spirit: $1-$50
Frontier: $8+ (Only applies to bookings made through other sites.)

Type-Rated

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 1):
I hope you asked "nicely" if they wouldn't mind refunding you your seat fee...UA screwed me over once by moving me out of E+ to accommodate a family and refused to refund me my $59.

Next time, contest it with your credit card company. They don't take kindly this kind of behavior on the part of their merchants because it causes them trouble. It also looks good when they help out a customer with this kind of issue.

Actually this should work. You paid for a service (seat assignment) that you never received. The seat assignment fee is a contract with the airline that if you pay the fee they give you the seat that you want. If the $50.00 was paid as a separate charge on your credit card it should be easy to tell the credit card company "I didn't receive the seat as I contracted them for". and the charge should be reversed.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

bond007

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 61):
You are mistaken; the top two fare levels (Business Select and Anytime) constitute a total of TWO fare buckets; while the "Wanna Get Away" fares appear in one COLUMN OF THEIR SITE but constitute MANY DIFFERENT FARES AND FARE BUCKETS.

I don't care how many fare buckets are in the "Wanna get away" column, what is the breakdown in number of seats?

I already gave you examples where the non-refundable fares are not even available (not sold-out - not available).

The "Wanna Get Away" fares are obviously advance and/or restricted numbers ... that's the whole point!

Jimbo

tyler81190

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:34 am

Quoting mrcomet (Reply 63):

The agents do have the ability, if needed to move a passenger to an earlier flight. But that is one of the "perks" afforded to the elite levels of the frequent flyer system, so they do not allow anyone to do it whenever they want.

If a later flight is oversold, and has a history of checking in full or oversold, they may move you forward, but if the flight has a history of a lot of no-shows, they may not.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 66):
Not all airlines allow you do to so unless you want to pay a fee. Here's a list of some airlines that charge you for advance seat assignment:

Legacy carriers do... I have seen more than a few passengers go crazy at the gate because their family was not seated together, they "bought their tickets 6 months ago" is what is usually screamed at the agent when they are told there are no more seats together. 6 months ago, there were most likely 3 or 4 seats together.

EA CO AS

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:06 am

Quoting bond007 (Reply 68):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 61):You are mistaken; the top two fare levels (Business Select and Anytime) constitute a total of TWO fare buckets; while the "Wanna Get Away" fares appear in one COLUMN OF THEIR SITE but constitute MANY DIFFERENT FARES AND FARE BUCKETS.
I don't care how many fare buckets are in the "Wanna get away" column, what is the breakdown in number of seats?

I already gave you examples where the non-refundable fares are not even available (not sold-out - not available).

The "Wanna Get Away" fares are obviously advance and/or restricted numbers ... that's the whole point!

There will be many different fare "buckets" on a given flight (AS has 23!) although not each one has a published fare behind it; there might be say, 8 to 15 different published fare levels in a given market.

Precisely TWO of those are designated for refundable fares; one is Business Select, the other is Anytime. ALL THE OTHERS fall into the "Wanna Get Away" column of the website, and as each of those many other nonrefundable fare levels sell out, the next higher nonrefundable fare level is displayed but still stays in the "Wanna Get Away" column.

Until they're all gone and only the two refundable ones remain.

Now as far as seats allocated to each fare bucket, that varies on market, season, day of the week, etc. And while revenue management would be thrilled to have the entire plane sell at the Business Select or Anytime fare, they know that's generally not realistic. There are exceptions, of course, as you've alluded to - for example, flying to a high-demand destination on a peak travel time (say, anything to LAS for New Year's Eve) they may not even make a single "Wanna Get Away" seat available and price the whole flight at Business Select and Anytime fares of say, $299 or higher because there's no point in selling a $69 seat on a flight a few months away where you know every single seat will eventually be sold, regardless of price, due to high demand. But again, that's the exception rather than the rule.

Bottom line is again, it varies from market to market, flight to flight, but generally speaking, on average, well over 2/3 to 3/4 of a given flight is sold as completely nonrefundable fares. In some markets, that figure can be as high as 90%.

OB1504

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:11 am

Quoting sovietjet (Reply 56):
2) For longer trips, that actually require a separate carry-on. I buy the tickets online but don't buy bags online. Once at the airport, when I check in with the automatic machine I choose no bags and it prints me the boarding pass. Now, on the boarding pass there is actually a line which says "no carry-on". When I am at the gate and boarding I show them my boarding pass with my finger conveniently placed over that line. 9/10 times the person checking passes is so busy and rushed they have never said anything.

You'd also have to block your zone number, since passengers who pay for their carry-on are assigned Zone 1, while Zones 2 thru 4 are for passengers without carry-on baggage. My guess would be that you frequent stations with outsourced staff who don't care. At FLL, I would have definitely stopped you.