kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 2/14: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Boeing!

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:46 am

Good morning folks and welcome to our second thread of 2014. New month, new thread!

Here's the link to the last thread, if anyone needs to refer back:

Irish 1/14: A Whole New World (by kaitak Dec 31 2013 in Civil Aviation)

It's been an interesting and - apart from the weather - a positive start to the year ...

... until Aer Lingus showed off its first 757.

BUT, it's still positive in many respects:

- Emirates double daily to Dubai, and both flights with 77Ws
- Etihad going double daily too, and maintaining 77W on morning flight
- Turkish going double daily too.
- Between the above three carriers, that's six flights a day to major M/E hubs
- Ethiopian said to be considering ADD-DUB-LAX, with 77Ls - a first regular visit for that type to DUB, if it happens, and our first link to a major African hub
- EI's YYZ route brought forward
- Ryanair looking to increase considerably its flights from DUB, though holding back from increases at other airports
- Legislation being brought forward to incorporate the Cape Town Convention into Irish law (providing protection to aircraft lessors), part of a plan to build on Ireland's position as a major aircraft leasing centre
- Varadkar to launch new aviation policy in the near future

So, let's hope February is just as interesting and productive!

EIDL

RE: Irish 2/14: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Boeing!

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:52 am

Does anyone know who was flying DUB-ARN in 2001? My father was remembering going over on business for the EU presidency in Sweden in 2001 and flying on what I can only assume was an ERJ or possibly a CRJ from his description but I wasn't aware that anything smaller than an MD80 had been used on that route in recent-ish years.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:55 am

I think it may have been Aer Lingus; I flew with them to CPH around 2000. I know they axed the route a little after that (can't remember
if it was before/after 9/11), but they flew 735s.

DavecFlyer

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 am

Quoting EIDL (Reply 1):
Does anyone know who was flying DUB-ARN in 2001? My father was remembering going over on business for the EU presidency in Sweden in 2001 and flying on what I can only assume was an ERJ or possibly a CRJ from his description but I wasn't aware that anything smaller than an MD80 had been used on that route in recent-ish years.

I'm pretty sure Skyways used to do it with an ERJ145.
ei,sf,fr,amm,cc,wx,bd,ba,ok,ua,ma,ay,re,cx,qf,fj,as,ac,az,adh,fua,ib,aww,km,aa,vs,nw,skb,cli,ne,kl,sa,ek,fi,lh,sn,af,qi,

OA260

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:03 pm

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
Good morning folks and welcome to our second thread of 2014. New month, new thread!

Thanks for a new thread Kaitak.  

And already the fight for business has begun. Its certainly a busy time for the sales Reps !

- Ethiopian said to be considering ADD-DUB-LAX, with 77Ls - a first regular visit for that type to DUB, if it happens, and our first link to a major African hub

Heard a rumour the other day that it was actually not supposed to happen so soon and more like Jan 2016 but who knows 
Quoting EIDL (Reply 1):
Does anyone know who was flying DUB-ARN in 2001?
Quoting DavecFlyer (Reply 3):
I'm pretty sure Skyways used to do it with an ERJ145.

IIRC Skyways was not on the scene until 2003/2004 .

EI320

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:00 pm

A cabin shot of EI-LBR has been uploaded to boards.ie here.

The cabin appears to be of a similar standard to those on the 330. I reckon the quality of the PTV's may actually be a notch above those on the 330. These aircraft should offer ample comfort on the relatively short hop to BOS.

The 757 should prove to be a valuable asset to the EI long-haul operation in the coming years, they are undoubtedly the optimum aircraft for serving thinner TA routes ex Ireland.

On a slightly different (but related) note, it would be interesting to see how the 757 might fair on two of their former routes: YUL and EWR.

The strong Irish influence across Quebec, combined with the connecting opportunities on offer from AC, may be enough to support a seasonal service. Naturally, the YYZ service will have to prove itself before any additional Canadian service will be seriously considered.

I believe the 4x weekly 330 service to EWR was suspended in late 2001? An EWR service would supplement the well-established JFK operation quite nicely, but the likelihood of this happening in the absence of a JV with UA is probably very very low.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:57 pm

- Turkish going double daily too.
- Between the above three carriers, that's six flights a day to major M/E hubs
- EI's YYZ route brought forward
- Ryanair looking to increase considerably its flights from DUB, though holding back from increases at other airports
- Legislation being brought forward to incorporate the Cape Town Convention into Irish law (providing protection to aircraft lessors), part of a plan to build on Ireland's position as a major aircraft leasing centre
- Varadkar to launch new aviation policy in the near future

I would add that SNN's five-year passenger decline has been halted too. Very DUB-centric summary if I may be so bold as to suggest.  

OA260

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 6):
I would add that SNN's five-year passenger decline has been halted too. Very DUB-centric summary if I may be so bold as to suggest.  

Thats why you are here to add some balance  

The interior looks ok. Your pretty standard Y offering across the Atlantic we have come accustomed to out of Ireland.

A major game changer in future would be to see a day flight Eastbound from JFK-DUB.

nightfox365

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpcJDeon3yU

Video of Aer Lingus 757 on a test flight to Boston from SNN
Flown on: bae146, bn2 islander, 741, A320, A321, A333, A332, MD80, 738, AT76, Cessna 150, Piper Cherokee.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:50 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 6):

Yes, fair point ... sorry. In my defence, it was about 2am and my sensitivity to the regions is proven to be less potent during darkness.

OA260

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:21 am

Ryanair has reported a loss of €35m for the months of October, November and December, in line with analysts' and the airline's own forecasts.

That contrasted with a net profit of €18.1m the same time the previous year.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014...loss-maintains-full-year-guidance/

In line with what was expected.

OA260

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Lufthansa enjoyed its most successful year ever in Dublin Airport last year, carrying just under 370,000 passengers on its Dublin routes, which was a 7% increase on 2012. New data from Lufthansa shows that almost three quarters of its passengers from Dublin are making onward connections to the airline’s worldwide network through its Frankfurt and Munich hubs.

Last year, the most popular onward destinations for Lufthansa’s Dublin Airport passengers included; Moscow, Kiev, Tel Aviv, Lagos, Sofia, Beijing, Caracas, Tokyo, Zagreb, Cairo, Graz and Minsk.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...r_Lufthansa_At_Dublin_Airport.aspx

Interesting destinations there for LH connectors. Also TK is performing very well DUB-IST-TLV. This year they will also actively target more for LOS/PEK/NRT/CAI so it will be interesting to see over the next 12 months how it pans out.

Some more very stormy weather today but does not seem to be doing too much to the arrivals at DUB.

BestWestern

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:12 pm

SK used CR9's but that wasn't as early as 2001

Quoting OA260 (Reply 11):
Moscow, Kiev, Tel Aviv, Lagos, Sofia, Beijing, Caracas, Tokyo, Zagreb, Cairo, Graz and Minsk.

Moscow, Kyiv, Sofia and Cairo should be prime candidates for EI short haul and provide long haul connectivity.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 12):
Moscow

Moscow certainly the other two are a bit volatile and maybe they wouldn't want to take the risk !

A huge U Turn by FR !

Ryanair confirms GDS plans

Ryanair has confirmed plans to put its fares on the global distribution systems by the summer.

In a major u-turn, the airline is now in "active negotiations" with a number of GDS suppliers.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2010057

KIRFlyer

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Good evening all,

I flew back to Ireland at the weekend. Return journey with Ryanair from LTN - NOC and back on Saturday and Sunday. Bit of a bumpy descent into Knock, but we got there.

It was my first time flying Ryanair since they've introduced their more "friendlier" image. I noticed that they have pre-assigned seating now. This did cause people to take their seats at a much slower pace, something I would expect. However, I wonder how will this effect Ryanair's business model with quick turn around times of 25 mins(correct me if I am wrong) approx.

As I was disembarking the aircraft, two crew were at the door chatting, one with their back to the passengers, and not giving the standard "Thank you" and "Goodbye". I've never experienced this before on a Ryanair flight, but If i noticed it, how many more people did? Or am I being pedantic  

I also noticed in Knock that they are still charging €10 departure fee. How do people feel about this? Personally, I was a bit peeved to pay to leave an airport. I think this is something that should be built into the ticket price, at least. I flew though Knock 11 years ago, and they were charging it then. They said it was to upgrade the airport, which they have done so. Should they still be charging this departure charge?

Regards

KIRFlyer

egph

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Hey guys,

I came here to ask a question about a possible market for Ireland (and by Ireland I mean DUB) to TLV direct flights and relaised that recent posts have been skirting around that. So my question to you guys would be, is there a market for direct DUB-TLV flights? Is it something EI or LY would be interested in taking forward, I would also add FR to the list but doesn't seem like an FR type destination somehow.

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

OA260

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Quoting EGPH (Reply 15):
o TLV direct flights and relaised that recent posts have been skirting around that. So my question to you guys would be, is there a market for direct DUB-TLV flights? I

Judging by the popularity of TLV with both LH and TK it would seem so. We used to have weekly Arkia flights ( seasonal).
I would love to see a twice weekly LY flight at DUB.

BestWestern

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:03 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 13):
In a major u-turn, the airline is now in "active negotiations" with a number of GDS suppliers.

Has hell frozen over? (or is it flooded!)

Quoting EGPH (Reply 15):
is there a market for direct DUB-TLV flights? Is it something EI or LY would be interested in taking forward,

Yes, plus huge demand for north american cities from TLV. Properly timed between for JFK connections, this could prove a winner - and could possibly be flown overnight - but that would cause huge layovers for the long haul east bounds.

EIBoston

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:32 am

EI's 757 service might have to wait another day to commence. Looks like we are going to get a large amount of snow on Wednesday in Boston. Hopefully not.

OA260

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 17):
Has hell frozen over? (or is it flooded!)

Indeed. As they say never say never ! Aer Lingus still has its USA/Canada flights in the GDS so I wonder how long it will be before they load their European routes back in. They would be foolish to ignore the GDS if FR go back in !

Quoting EIBoston (Reply 18):
EI's 757 service might have to wait another day to commence.

With that white fuselage it might get lost in the snow   

---
Weather forces Aer Lingus flight to be used to transfer heart from Kerry for transplant
A human heart had to be transported to Dublin on board an Aer Lingus regional flight from Co Kerry yesterday due to bad weather.

The airline responded to an emergency request to transfer the heart to the Mater hospital in Dublin after it was decided turbulence and other weather factors would have prevented air ambulances from landing at Farranfore.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/healt...rom-kerry-for-transplant-1.1678411

---
easyJet extends mobile boarding passes to Belfast International
Low-cost carrier easyJet has become the first European airline to allow passengers to board their flight at Belfast International Airport using a mobile boarding pass.

Scanners have been installed at bag drop desks, security and departure gates across the airport, which can read mobile boarding passes that have been downloaded via easyJet’s app.

http://www.futuretravelexperience.co...ding-passes-belfast-international/

BestWestern

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Arriving into Heathrow Terminal 1 from Dublin and onwards from terminal 5, do BA still offer the LHR transfer from the rear steps of the aircraft?

JAmie2k9

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 20):

Usually a separate bus for connecting passengers meets the aircraft.

OA260

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 20):
Arriving into Heathrow Terminal 1 from Dublin and onwards from terminal 5, do BA still offer the LHR transfer from the rear steps of the aircraft?

Never guaranteed. Two weeks ago we disembarked all from the front and no bus was waiting. That was on the 0855am flight DUB-LHR on BA.

ClassicLover

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:31 pm

E-mail received from Aer Lingus this afternoon at 2pm. The people were booked on the 1950 to LHR and it said high wind was expected so come to the airport earlier and get on an earlier flight. They made the 1730 departure and got on. With the storm and wind, I wonder if we'll see any cancellations tonight!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 23):
They made the 1730 departure and got on. With the storm and wind, I wonder if we'll see any cancellations tonight!

The wind has picked up and weather got worse since around 16:30. I guess they were wise to get as many out as possible just in case. Although its not as bad as previous storms ! You wonder will there ever be an end to it ...

OA260

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Aer Lingus also announced today it will begin a new Malaga service from Shannon at the end of April, through its partner Aer Arann.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/s...vices-to-us-from-shannon-1.1680289

[Edited 2014-02-05 04:23:30]

EIDL

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):

Aer Lingus to run a SNN-AGP service with Aer Arann.

Aer Lingus also announced today it will begin a new Malaga service from Shannon at the end of April, through its partner Aer Arann.

On an ATR? Or will they lease in a Titan 146 or similar like their former longer services?

OA260

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 26):
On an ATR? Or will they lease in a Titan 146 or similar like their former longer services?

That has to be a typo thinking about it LOL...

I think they meant to add the Aer Arran bit in relation to the UK regional flights . Or am I going crazy ?

bx737

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Having read the article and your comments OA260, are we to understand that an Aer Lingus Regional ATR72 is going to fly to AGP or is Aer Arann going to get other aircraft? I am not doubting what is written in the article. However the book 2013 European Airline Registrations by Tony Leggat (Mach III Publications) has listed EI as having 6 Embraer 195s on order. Mind you I have never seen this referred to elsewhere.

Aer Arann/Aer Lingus Regional have announced a lot of new routes and extra frequency on routes, do they have the aircraft for this expansion?

EIDL

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Quoting bx737 (Reply 28):
Aer Arann/Aer Lingus Regional have announced a lot of new routes and extra frequency on routes, do they have the aircraft for this expansion?

I believe they're retaining a further 72-200 (so 2 rather than 1) bringing the fleet to 13 - 8 72-600s, 2 72-500s, 2 72-200s and a 42-300 - when everything's all sorted. Should be less requirement for an operational spare with such a high proportion of the fleet being new / newer compaed to the ex-Delta Connection 72s and ex-Ryanair 42s

As goes Embraer - I'm pretty sure that if an order existed it would have had to be disclosed to shareholders. I could see the arms-length leasing firm that they've formed with Stobart etc to officially own the 72-600s buying mid-size jets for lease to RE it in the future, though.

[Edited 2014-02-05 04:47:49]

Clydenairways

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Surely this was announced already last November:
http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/...-at-dublin-and-shannon-614591.html

bx737

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:05 pm

The timetable on the EI website shows a W rotation with a ORK based aircraft operating on a Wed and a Sunday. FAO to SNN is showing a ORK based aircraft doing a W rotation on Mon, Wed and Fri. So no ATRs or E195s.

OA260

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Some scenes from todays SNN-BOS :

Cipango

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:29 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):

Those TVs in Business seem extremely low down?
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

aerlingusa330

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:41 am

To be quite honest, I'm disappointed in the cabin of this plane. I've been waiting with baited breath to see what the inside would look like compared to the A330s. There must be a good reason for it, but I've seen better 757 premium cabins. For these to not match the A330 seats is disappointing and, my opinion, it's not good for the EI brand if the hard products are not consistent throughout the fleet. I understand that the Business Recaro seats may not fit into the 75 for installation purposes, but these lack privacy (even compared to the A330 Business seats) and we see better products on other T/A 757 premium cabins.
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

dstc47

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:05 am

EI still showing some weakness on short haul in January, with long haul maintaining a more positive trend.

Short haul travellers fell by 1 per cent compared with the previous year.
Long haul flights showed more positive results, with passenger figures rising to 59,000 over the month, a 7.3 per cent increase over the same month last year.

OA260

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:12 am

New rules on the way for hand baggage and delays :

More hand baggage among raft of changes for airlines
Thursday, February 06, 2014

Handbags and airport shopping will be allowed on all flights free of charge from next year and compensation for cancelled and delayed flights will kick in after just three hours.

Under new rules voted on by members of the European Parliament, airline practices such as forcing you to buy a new return ticket if you do not take the first leg of the journey will also be banned.

Only 2% of people who could have claimed compensation for delayed and cancelled flights managed to do so — proof that the current rules are failing passengers, according to Jim Higgins, Fine Gael MEP for Ireland North-West.

The airports were the first to welcome the move towards an end to the "one piece of cabin baggage only" rule enforced by a growing number of airlines.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archive...f-changes-for-airlines-257825.html

---

Ryanair passenger numbers up 5%

Ryanair has today reported a 5% increase in passenger numbers in January, compared to the same month last year.

The airline carried 4.6 million people in the month.

Traffic in the 12 months to the end of January was up 3% to 81.6 million people. Load factor was unchanged at 71%.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...passenger-numbers-up-5-621892.html

I think over the next 12 months we will see an increase in figures from FR especially if they are successful in doing a deal with a GDS and attract more business travellers. It will be interesting to watch the changes.

shamrock350

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:21 am

Aer Lingus short haul was weak but Aer Lingus Regional saw another hefty jump in numbers for January with 79,000 flying the ATRs, up 21% on last year. Despite the short haul weakness, overall numbers were up a respectable 2% including regional services.

http://corporate.aerlingus.com/media...raffic_Statistics_January_2014.pdf

Here's a short video of the SNN-BOS launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33NMpREsjpQ&feature=youtu.be

The second aircraft is currently in Norwich getting painted...fully.

Eirules

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:24 am

While I somewhat agree that the EI product should be the same across the long haul aircraft, EI are probably looking at the competition on the various routes. To YYZ they are up against AC Rouge which is a lie cost carrier with no PTV in Y unless you pay. From SNN the business cabin has always been a struggle to fill so EI may be looking more towards a competitive Y product which this is versus UA and DL
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

gulfstream

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Question as to BOS-SNN service. I know the 75 's are leased in but are the flight crew and cabin staff Are Lingus?
Thanks for clarifying.

dstc47

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:56 pm

On going saga of SNN "welcome waggon"

Defence Minister Alan Shatter has said in Parliament that Gardaí asked for help from the Defence Forces on 324 occasions during 2013.
The vast majority related to Shannon Airport and the actions by "anti-war" protestors.

EIDL

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Some of the sofntess on EIs shorthaul numbers may be down to the reduction in capacity by use of 319s rather than 320s on some routes I'd guess? Seeing as 2 320s went for the VS work.

eicvd

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Quoting gulfstream (Reply 39):

Cabin crew are Aer Lingus, flight crew are Air Contractors
COYBIB

AmricanShamrok

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Quoting eicvd (Reply 42):
Cabin crew are Aer Lingus, flight crew are Air Contractors

This was originally the plan but I thought this was changed to EI flight crew as well?

JAmie2k9

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 43):

No, but some EI flight deck staff may of transferred over to Air Contractors.

[Edited 2014-02-06 07:38:09]

Parsebandit

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:23 pm

So Ryanair have got rid of the no electronics, made up, pie in the sky, fairy tale.

Any sign of the great EI doing likewise or will they need a few years to bother changing?

OA260

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Quoting parsebandit (Reply 45):
So Ryanair have got rid of the no electronics, made up, pie in the sky, fairy tale.

Indeed :

Phone use now permitted during “all phases” of Ryanair flights. Aer Lingus? Not yet

THAT ‘PLEASE TURN off your mobile’ warning will be a thing of the past from today — at least if you’re flying on Ryanair.
The budget airline has announced that all customers may now use portable electronic devices on all flights, for the entire duration of the flight (that includes tablets, smartphones, e-readers and MP3 players).

http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-smart-phone-1302111-Feb2014/

Aer Lingus to approve ''soon'' whatever soon means .  

tonystan

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:30 pm

EI pilots have been "seconded" to Air Contractors. They operate under the rules or their AOC and policies.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

aerlingusa330

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Quoting Eirules (Reply 38):

Great point, you're right about the economy product vs. DL, UA and AC Rouge. EI does have the advantage there.
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

[email protected]

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:41 pm

Quoting EGPH (Reply 15):
I would also add FR to the list but doesn't seem like an FR type destination somehow.

Very much FR's type of destination: extremely heavy VFR route with lots of price-sensitive people whose demand could be easily stimulated. In fact, lots of articles, from 2013, say that FR is "planning" TLV services, but we shall see. If they do materialise Eastern Europe, Germany, France, and Italy seem most obvious.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos