shamrock104

RE: Irish 2/14: Raindrops Keep Falling On My Boeing!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:14 pm

Quoting cipango (Reply 149):
I thought they were to begin on April 1st?

http://slon.ru/fast/russia/ryanair-n...-dublin-s-1-aprelya--1056849.xhtml (Russian Only)

and

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.aspx?id=200638

This was never formally announced by FR, there was a lot of media speculation. They may have had the rights from 1 Apr. For a route like this to succeed, a good lead in time will have to be given, esp. if they want to attract tourists ex. Ireland who will need visas, a lot of planning ahead etc.

OA260

Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Quoting cipango (Reply 149):

I thought they were to begin on April 1st?
Quoting shamrock104 (Reply 150):
esp. if they want to attract tourists ex. Ireland who will need visas, a lot of planning ahead etc.

Yes April 1st seems a little to fast even for FR . Also there could be red tape behind the scenes as its not like dealing with an EU country! The visa process is a pain.

----

An interesting read and seems its as I thought red tape !

Russia's Transport Ministry is finalizing a bill that will set a path for low cost airlines. The Government Commission on legislative activities has approved the document on non-refundable tickets enabling air fare cost reduction. In the summer Russians will be able to buy non-refundable "economy" class tickets.

Cheap flights are a worldwide practice that has not been adopted in Russia. Europeans and Americans have been long opting out of extra services, such as meals during short distance flights and luggage transportation to save on tickets. For example, in Europe one can buy a plane ticket for only 30 euros, or even 10-15 euros during a sales campaign (the cheapest low cost airline in Europe is Ryanair). To Russians these prices may seem unrealistic because flights even within Russia are quite expensive.

All low cost airlines that emerged on the Russian market have quickly gone out of business. We tried to find out the reasons from the experts.

http://english.pravda.ru/business/co...126881-low_cost_airlines_russia-0/

[Edited 2014-02-21 08:40:20]

shamrock350

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:28 pm

An Air France A380 diverted to SNN today due to a medical emergency.

FHPJH_1 by Anhedral, on Flickr

Is this the first official A380 diversion to Shannon, I know Airbus and British Airways have sent the aircraft there in the past but don't recall any actual diversions.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 152):
Is this the first official A380 diversion to Shannon, I know Airbus and British Airways have sent the aircraft there in the past but don't recall any actual diversions.

It is indeed. Wish I could've seen it in person.

tonystan

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 135):
Not being smart; out of curiosity, what else could there be to the story?...you're boarding a flight, you hand over your EU passport and boarding card, and the gate agent says that because there is no return ticket there is no proof of visa of living in Spain...I don't know what happened. But that's what she told me. So she took out her credit card as proof as she wasn't carrying the Spanish NIE (residential card) at the time.

Apologies. Iv been away.
The only reason I can think of why anyone at EI would even think of checking such details would be if your friend failed to complete the Advance Passenger information required nowadays with bookings to Spain (and other countries). I really don't know anything about the policies or procedures for such events but it's all I (and an old friend of mine who works on the ground) can think of as checks of return bookings and residency of non nationals in destination airports are just not something which is done by ground staff at Aer Lingus.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

KIRFlyer

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Afternoon all,

Seeing that A380 at SNN would have been an awesome treat. There was another diversion(?) this morning into SNN: EI12G from MCO. She landed at 08:19 and departed again at 10:41. Any ideas what was going on here?

My sister flew back to BOS today from SNN on the 135. She said she really dislikes the smaller cabin, but I've enlightened her that EI needs to go down this route to operate year round at SNN.

http://m.rte.ie/news/touch/2014/0221/505844-aer-lingus-daa-pension/

More info on possible strike action with EI and the DAA. I'm sure none of us are surprised.

KIR_Flyer

shamrock604

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 155):
There was another diversion(?) this morning into SNN: EI12G from MCO. She landed at 08:19 and departed again at 10:41. Any ideas what was going on here?

Suspect that was the high winds we were having in Dublin at the time - arrivals were on 16 and perhaps conditions, MEL items meant they had to wait for 10/28 to become available.

eicvd

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 156):

Just read on another site that the EI120 diverted to SNN after 2 go-arounds on 16. Also on that other site a US 762 from ZRH to PHL diverted to DUB, no idea why.
COYBIB

Eagleboy

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 155):
There was another diversion(?) this morning into SNN: EI12G from MCO. She landed at 08:19 and departed again at 10:41. Any ideas what was going on here?

RWY 16 and uncooperative winds. EI-136 got in on its second attempt this morning and I spotted another go-around myself at approx 0730.

OA260

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Will be interesting to see the future for Cityjet .

Cityjet sale to be inked 'in weeks'

The acquisition of Dublin-based airline Cityjet by Germany's Intro Aviation is likely to be completed within a couple of weeks, Intro's managing director told the Irish Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...to-be-inked-in-weeks-30028515.html

It mentions highly prized landing slots at LCY ! I wonder if they will be tempted to sell some off.

---

Also will be interesting to see if BE do expand from BHD and what routes would be of interest to them.

Flybe new routes are boost to Belfast City airport

THE choice of destinations from George Best Belfast City Airport could be about to widen after Flybe announced it would be adding 38 new routes to its European network over the next three years.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/bu...belfast-city-airport-30029083.html

shamrock350

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:36 am

Aer Lingus has reported an operating profit of €61.1m for 2013 - down 11.6% from the €69m reported last year but in line with expectations after the warmer summer.

Aer Lingus reports dip in 2013 profits, but revenues rise

The airline said its average fare revenue per seat was up 2% to €90.43.

Aer Lingus said that based on its "strong performance", its board is proposing to pay a dividend of four cent per share for 2013.

This is in line with the previous year, and the airline said it expects to maintain dividends at this level for the foreseeable future.

The airline said its long haul routes performed especially well last year with revenue up over 11% and passenger numbers up over 12%.

But its short haul revenue was down 3.3% due to the good weather in Ireland and Northern Europe last summer as well as more competitive pricing.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0224/506249-aer-lingus-results/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aer Lingus announces 2 year Cost Optimisation and Revenue Excellence (CORE) programme

In the coming year, Aer Lingus will also introduce its Cost Optimisation and Revenue Excellence (CORE) programme. A two year programme, the goal of CORE is to “ensure that we continue to deliver for our customers attractive and differentiated products that represent compelling value for money”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/s...ons-1.1702645#.Uwr5QPCRae8.twitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calls for Aer Lingus Euro hub at Shannon

Aer Lingus has not ruled out the possibility of establishing a European hub at Shannon, saying it's committed to developing its 'presence' at the airport.

Calls have been made for the airline to fly services to a major European city so that passengers would have more connectivity from Shannon to Europe and the rest of the world.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-euro-hub-at-shannon-30035224.html

Clearly TD Pat Breen doesn't quite understand what a hub is. What he wants is a new link from Shannon to a European hub, AMS or CDG for example.

Shamrock350

dstc47

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:23 am

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 160):
Calls have been made for the airline to fly services to a major European city so that passengers would have more connectivity from Shannon to Europe

Not only does long term memory seem to be weak but short term memory also, been there, done that, cancelled the route due to lack of local support. And that was SNN in better times.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 159):
if BE do expand from BHD

BE now seem to be candidates for the BMI award for starting routes, dropping routes, shifting aircraft about.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:28 am

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 160):
Aer Lingus has not ruled out the possibility of establishing a European hub at Shannon, saying it's committed to developing its 'presence' at the airport.

Whatever about Pat Breen, there is scope for route development without having to base another aircraft at SNN. As has been suggested here, EI could use a 757 for the morning LHR rotation and use the based A319/A320 for a Euro/sun route maybe a few days a week (even seasonally). There may also be room for another transatlantic route (unlikely, I know) to MCO maybe. The current timetable to BOS and JFK would only have to be amended slightly to allow for a 2-weekly SNN-MCO route. In saying that, this would be pushing the boundaries of the 757's range at 3448nm...but definitely possible in the summer...if UA can do EWR-TXL (3458nm).

Just thinking out loud really. I'd love to see SNN-BCN/GRO return.

EIDAA

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:49 am

A couple of interesting points from the full presentation on the EI corporate site:-

http://corporate.aerlingus.com/

Delivering the “customer journey of the future”. As part of this initiative in 2014, we will:
(i) Re-launch our website with a re-designed booking portal;
(ii) Improve our mobile app;
(iii) Have all our transatlantic flights from Dublin pre-cleared for the Summer schedule (for the first time);
(iv) Introduce fully lie-flat seats on our long haul flights during the Winter 2014 / 2015 season;
(v) Move to the Queen‟s Terminal at London Heathrow offering a much enhanced passenger experience; and
(vi) Replace our current passenger reservation system with state of the art technology

and on the fleet...

Update on fleet
Aer Lingus and Airbus are discussing revised delivery dates for the nine A350XWB aircraft that we have on order as the original delivery dates cannot be achieved. It is likely that we will still take nine aircraft which will be a mixture of A350-900 and A350-900R variants. Deliveries are likely to be over the period 2018 to 2020. Further details will be announced once final agreements are reached.
Separately, we will, over time, start to evaluate our short haul fleet rollover options but this is not urgent given the relatively young age of our short haul fleet.
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

OA260

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:26 am

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 161):
Not only does long term memory seem to be weak but short term memory also, been there, done that, cancelled the route due to lack of local support. And that was SNN in better times.

Indeed. LHR will always be the gateway from SNN. This has been proved by people voting with their feet!

BE now seem to be candidates for the BMI award for starting routes, dropping routes, shifting aircraft about.

Well in fairness they were heading down the toilet and this new guy seems to have a vision even if it is ruthless at times. If anyone can turn BE around he can. In the end if it works BE could be a decent regional player.

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 163):
(vi) Replace our current passenger reservation system with state of the art technology

Indeed I mentioned that before and the current system is from another lifetime ago ! One thing EI do need to consider is loading fares into the GDS for European routes. They do sell via GDS for TATL and load the flights for Europe for Nett fares and IATA fares involving connections but no point to point. If FR do come back to the GDS EI has serious problems and will need to make sure they use easy channels for the trade.

(iv) Introduce fully lie-flat seats on our long haul flights during the Winter 2014 / 2015 season;

Yes its been eagerly awaited by the Corps especially on the ORD route.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:36 am

Is there a new safety video for the EI 757? Or is the demo done manually by crew?

shamrock350

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Introduce fully lie-flat seats on our long haul flights during the Winter 2014 / 2015 season;

Apparently it's going to be a seat from Thompson Aero and they currently offer two main business seat products, the 'Vantage' seen on airlines such a Swiss and the 'Vantage XL' which isn't in operation yet but will appear on an A330 airline from Autumn 2014 and two other airlines in early 2015. Very possible that Aer Lingus is one of those airlines.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m198/SkyNet1000/502218.jpeg

http://www.thompsonaero.com/index.php/news/

It works in a 1-2-1 staggered configuration so will need more space in order to maintain the 24 seat count.

Aer Lingus and Airbus are discussing revised delivery dates for the nine A350XWB aircraft that we have on order as the original delivery dates cannot be achieved. It is likely that we will still take nine aircraft which will be a mixture of A350-900 and A350-900R variants.

At first I thought this was Aer Lingus pushing deliveries back but the wording suggests Airbus can't deliver the aircraft on the dates agreed, probably something to do with the certification of the Regional version? Interesting that it will be a mix of -900 and -900R versions, indicate Aer Lingus still want the legs of the -900 version.

OA260

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Cork Airport goes digital to improve passenger experience

Cork Airport has launched two new digital initiatives to further improve passenger experience at the Airport.
Cork Airport has become the first Irish Airport to make Google Indoor Maps available for all public areas of Cork Airport.
The innovative service allows passengers to allowing take a virtual tour of the inside of the Cork Airport terminal building. In addition, Cork Airport has launched a new free iPhone and Android App that is the essential guide to the full range of services at the Airport.

http://www.southernstar.ie/News/Cork...-passenger-experience-24022014.htm

Nice to see ORK embracing these options !
----

Ryanair deputy calls for scrappage of air tax in Londonderry

Ryanair’s Deputy Chief Executive, Michael Cawley, has called for the abolition of Air Passenger Duty (APD) at a Chamber of Commerce function in Londonderry today (February 20).

The City of Derry Airport (CODA) fully endorsed the views expressed by Mr Cawley, saying it was an unfair tax that is having a hugely negative effect across the UK regions and in particular here in Northern Ireland. Mr Cawley said: “The UK Government’s APD tax is damaging Northern Ireland’s tourism. Northern Ireland cannot grow tourism by taxing visitors and raising airport charges to uncompetitive levels.

http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk...f-air-tax-in-londonderry-1-5891958

The APD has to be hurting current operations and any prospect for any real expansion in future. The way its going there will be greater debate on the future of the airport.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:37 pm

An Air Transat A330-200 operating flight TS711 (CDG-YUL) was diverted to SNN this morning. Arrived 10:23 and departed 12:04. Presumably a medical divert.

OA260

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 168):
An Air Transat A330-200 operating flight TS711 (CDG-YUL) was diverted to SNN this morning. Arrived 10:23 and departed 12:04. Presumably a medical divert.

Seems to be happening a lot lately. Still great for the spotters down there !  

---

I see Air Canada Rouge has re scheduled its YYZ-DUB flights to around two hours later.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 169):
Seems to be happening a lot lately. Still great for the spotters down there !

It is indeed, keep 'em coming!

Speaking of schedule adjustments, DL has also revised its JFK-SNN times, now arriving late-morning and departing early-afternoon...maybe to tackle EI's new 6-weekly service head-on?

JFK-SNN
DL224 Dep. 23:39, Arr. 10:55+1

SNN-JFK
DL223 Dep. 12:40, Arr. 14:46

Cipango

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 169):
I see Air Canada Rouge has re scheduled its YYZ-DUB flights to around two hours later.

That explains it! I was pricing flights to YYZ recently and on the booking system it was showing both flights, at 10:20 and 12:20 with the same flight number. It must have been a small glitch right when they changed it? I thought I was seeing things for a while..
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

shamrock350

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:05 pm

A photo of the new Aer Lingus business class seat appears in today's results presentation.

Plenty of green as you can expect!

http://corporate.aerlingus.com/media...lts-presentation-FINAL-2422014.pdf

Shamrock350

OA260

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Quoting cipango (Reply 171):
That explains it! I was pricing flights to YYZ recently and on the booking system it was showing both flights, at 10:20 and 12:20 with the same flight number. It must have been a small glitch right when they changed it?

Must have. Its changed since end of Dec / Early Jan AFAIK a mate of mine got a schedule change.

---

From todays EI press release :

Notice the seat !

http://corporate.aerlingus.com/media...lts-presentation-FINAL-2422014.pdf

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/eifeb2014_zps705d9612.jpg

aerdingus

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 154):
Apologies. Iv been away.
The only reason I can think of why anyone at EI would even think of checking such details would be if your friend failed to complete the Advance Passenger information required nowadays with bookings to Spain (and other countries). I really don't know anything about the policies or procedures for such events but it's all I (and an old friend of mine who works on the ground) can think of as checks of return bookings and residency of non nationals in destination airports are just not something which is done by ground staff at Aer Lingus.

That could be a possibility.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

JAmie2k9

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:50 pm

The new website in that table of pictures looks well, very similar to Delta's homepage.

[Edited 2014-02-24 12:51:07]

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:17 pm

Deliveries are likely to be over the period 2018 to 2020

Disappointing. VERY disappointing.

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 166):
At first I thought this was Aer Lingus pushing deliveries back but the wording suggests Airbus can't deliver the aircraft on the dates agreed, probably something to do with the certification of the Regional version? Interesting that it will be a mix of -900 and -900R versions, indicate Aer Lingus still want the legs of the -900 version.

Sounds to me like EI wanted to push the deliveries back. They already pushed them back once, to 2016. The aircraft's certification process seems to be going very well and is on track for delivery (to QR) around year end. I would like a more detailed explanation of "can't deliver the aircraft on the dates agreed". More likely they didn't want them then and given the success of the A350, they found ready takers for the delivery slots.

How much extra work is required to certify the regional version? Is it not just going to be a -900 with a considerably lower MTOW - in which case the extra certification is minimal?

tonymctigue

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:38 am

It is almost like he has been reading what EI have been openly doing at SNN over the past 6 months since the B757 announcement, the expansion of EIR service to better suit connections and the introduction of Faro and a few other sun destinations and though to himself, I can call upon Aer Lingus to do what they are already doing and by time summer season comes when everything is fully up an running, I can take credit for delivering something EI had already planned on doing just in time for the European and Local elections.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

OA260

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:14 am

Some pics from the day of the storms. It was nice to see these at DUB .

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/estonair_zpse78e3a66.jpg
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/luxairdub_zps69d91fd5.jpg
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/loteuro_zpsb8f1f84f.jpg

---

Aer Lingus wants many smaller shareholders, not just few big ones – Mueller

THE head of Aer Lingus has said that having a mix of smaller shareholders, rather than potential large-scale stake building by a few investors is best for the airline.
Aer Lingus would be best served by having a large number of shareholders and not necessarily by Gulf carrier Etihad hiking its stake in the Irish airline above its current near 3pc stake, Christoph Mueller said.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...few-big-ones-mueller-30037837.html

Eagleboy

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:09 pm

The 3rd EI B757 was rolled out of the paint ship in SNN today. Not yet handed over as still using OH-LBT reg.

Pic from SNN:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/n707pm/12798560673/in/contacts/

Tchocky

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Wonder if EI will ever get around to fixing the cheatline just behind L1, a fade into green would look a lot better than the abrupt stop.

dstc47

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:17 am

The second part of the TV series on Irish Aviation is on tonight.
RTE1 at 10.15.

OA260

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:39 am

A nice link from BHD :

UK Regional Airline, LinksAir, is to base an aircraft at Robin Hood Doncaster-Sheffield Airport to launch new services to both Belfast and the Isle of Man.

With effect from Friday 11th April the return of the popular Belfast City service will see LinksAir initially commencing a twice-daily weekday and single Sunday return, departing Doncaster-Sheffield at both 7.05AM and 5.05PM daily on weekdays, with a 10:45AM departure also on a Friday, while return services will leave Belfast City Airport at 8:45AM and 6.45PM, with a 12:25PM also on a Friday. A Sunday service will leave Doncaster-Sheffield at 5.05PM with the return leaving Belfast City at 6.45PM.

http://www.linksair.co.uk/new-links-...-hood-doncaster-sheffield-airport/

EIDL

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 am

Did Links Air not try to start up at OXF (to Belfast) previously?

dstc47

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:51 am

Groundhog Day again

TALKS aimed at resolving the pensions row have broken down without agreement.

OA260

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Strike notice served over Aer Lingus-DAA pension dispute

Travel plans for air passengers face disruption next month after SIPTU served notice of industrial action at Aer Lingus, the Dublin Airport Authority and the Shannon Airport Authority.

This follows the breakdown of talks aimed at resolving the long-running dispute over cuts in pension benefits at those companies.

SIPTU says it will hold a four hour stoppage at Dublin Cork and Shannon airports on Friday 14 March between 5am and 9am - just ahead of the busy St Patrick's weekend.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0227/507174-aer-lingus-pensions/

Lets see if it actually goes ahead !

Eagleboy

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:49 pm

Now I realise that many here are anti-union but I am of the opinion that such a short stoppage is a lot more reasonable than a strike over the weekend. The workers reps get to make their point, the company can try to recover and the public aren't completely messed around.

In all reality this issue will not be sorted be strikes and threats of disruption. It requires some intervention from Govt as this mess was created decades ago and recent legislation has brought the deficit to a breaking point. The majority of staff paying into the fund do not want all out strike, they want to stop their employer paying their salary into the IASS pension, and get back as much as possible of the money they have already paid in.

With what is happening globally I think the recoup 0f 80% of entitlements seems pretty good. I#m not too sure but the RTE report gives the impression that SIPTU are pushing for full entitlements?

JAmie2k9

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:00 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 186):

No, they could of picked earlier in the week to cause the least problems for passengers but they are picking what will most likely be the busiest day of that weekend.

OA260

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Numbers soar at RE/EIR :

Aer Lingus Regional's passenger numbers soar 23% in January

Aer Lingus Regional, which is operated by Aer Arann, carried just under 80,000 passengers in January, an increase of 23% on the same month last year.

Routes into and out of Dublin, from where Aer Lingus Regional serves cities such as Bristol, Cardiff and Edinburgh, were the main driver of growth.

Passenger numbers on its Dublin routes were up 43% year on year, while the carrier's Cork services also saw a return to growth with an 8% increase in passenger numbers.

Aer Lingus has been using the regional service to attract UK passengers onto transatlantic routes out of Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0228/507312-aer-arann-numbers/

OA260

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:23 pm

After many years of having a ticket office in Dublin Singapore Airlines are to close in Dawson Street. Shame to see this long time office go .

----

Ryanair has returned EI-DPA to the lessor.

[Edited 2014-02-28 06:39:59]

dstc47

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 189):
After many years of having a ticket office in Dublin Singapore Airlines are to close in Dawson Street. Shame to see this long time office go .

Indeed.
Anyone remember the long time Alitalia office at the other end of Dawson St?

bx737

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Dawson Street was the airline street in Dublin. IIRC the following were on the street:

1) Aer Lingus
2) Ryanair
3) Singapore Airlines
4) Alitalia
5) Swissair
6) Sabena
7) TAP Air Portugal
8) Iberia

BA was near the Grand Canal, Club Air was in Abbey Street, Aer Lingus was also on O'Connell Street. I'm sure there were others.

OA260

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 190):
Anyone remember the long time Alitalia office at the other end of Dawson St?

I dont remember the AZ one only the desk at DUB. Very few have open offices these days. There were some GSA's. Olympic Airways had one in Dublin too. TK left the Quays and now at the Airport above check in. EY moved from Jervis IIRC.

Aer Lingus used to have O'Connell Street and Stephens Green, I used to visit both.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 192):
Aer Lingus used to have O'Connell Street and Stephens Green, I used to visit both.

They used to have one in Dun Laoghaire as well; I used to go in there quite a bit; the staff used to show me the advance plan for the Summer schedule!

EI747SYDNEY

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:09 pm

What did everyone think about the second part of the programme on RTE last night?

''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

bx737

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:29 pm

It was all about Tony Ryan. I thought it was interesting. It showed the impact that he had on Irish Aviation. It mentioned the difficulties Ryanair did have. I remember the difficulties that GPA had, but it was interesting to hear the ins and outs of it, some of which I didn't remember. It barely mentioned the likes of PJ Cousins, PJ McGoldrick, Ruadhan Neeson, Liam Lonergan and the people who set up Avair (whose name escapes me). These were also pioneers in aviation in their own ways. Granted they did not succeed, but their efforts were glossed over if not ignored altogether.

propchaser

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Speaking of Airline Offices in Dublin,

I remember Aeroflot had an office in Dawson street and C S A had an office over a shop at the end of Capel Street ,i remember the fantastic model of The TU-104 in their colors in the office, Pan Am and TWA offices were 2 or 3 doors apart in Westmoreland st.,Sabena and Lufthansa had offices over Rowans Seeds shop in Westmoreland St and none of these Airlines seved Dublin at the time

tonystan

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 pm

BA still have a staffed office in Malahide opposite the green.

It's more an administrative facility but you can visit it if you have issues.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

dstc47

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:55 am

KLM used to be in Hawkins House in the distant past.
TWA near the EI office in O'Connell St for many years.
Delta were once in Merrion Sq, then upstairs in Dawson St also.
BOAC near where the Apple reseller is now in Grafton St and BEA were elsewhere.

Quoting bx737 (Reply 195):
It was all about Tony Ryan

Yes, a bit too much GPA and leasing to the disadvantage of the others.
The Cahills and Iona left aside. Darby Kennedy not mentioned either, indeed flight training and EI & IAA ancillary businesses outside of aviation maintenance ignored largely or completely.
It did begin to catch the "we can do no wrong" mood that contributed to the GPA story. No real mention at all of the determined campaign in the West and by some politicians to prevent direct air services to Dublin by transatlantic carriers. You could get the impression that this was purely due to Government or EI opposition, not concentrated lobbying.

OA260

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:26 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 193):
They used to have one in Dun Laoghaire as well;

Never knew about that one but then again I never ventured out that far  

Aeroflot in the 90's had their main office at DUB . The sales and ticket office were down the corridor near the current McDonalds and lifts down to departures. A lady called Margaret used to be there and was probably one of the most knowledgeable people in the industry and a real character.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos