Miami
Topic Author

Korean Air To Start IAH

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:01 pm

On May 2nd, KE is launching ICN-IAH 4x weekly flights on a 777-200ER

KE029 ICN0910 – 0830IAH 772 x247
KE030 IAH1040 – 1530+1ICN 772 x247

Source: http://airlineroute.net/2014/02/03/ke-iah-s14/

Here's the rumor thread: Rumor: New Airline Coming To IAH (by Tdan Jan 14 2014 in Civil Aviation)

-Miami
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

FSDan

RE: Korean Air To Start IAH

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:36 pm

IAH has quite the impressive lineup these days. Long haul service from BA, AF, KL, LH, TK, QR, EK, CA, SQ, and now KE.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

hohd

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:23 pm

Introducing this flight on a rather short notice. This will compete with Air China's 4 times a week flight for connections to China and also connections throughput East Asia including India.

While KE does not have the Star Alliance feed, most of the traffic they are hoping will be from the Korean end and some business/VFR traffic from IAH. Even for Skyteam, you can only earn base DL miles but not MQM, so it will not benefit the DL frequent flyers in IAH.

thomasphoto60

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 2):
. This will compete with Air China's 4 times a week flight for connections to China and also connections throughput East Asia including India.

Just an update, CA goes daily on March 30.
"Show me the Braniffs"

yellowtail

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Quoting FSDan (Reply 1):
IAH has quite the impressive lineup these days. Long haul service from BA, AF, KL, LH, TK, QR, EK, CA, SQ, and now KE.

Its even more colourful when you add carriers like AV and AM in there…..IAH needs to start working on LA/TAM now….I ma 100% sure TAM could fill a 332 to GRU or GIG from IAH even with UA in the market.

IMHO, this is going to hurt SQ and will surely peel off the traffic going to Vietnam that SQ seemed to own. Why go 2 stop to SGN when you could do it in one?

[Edited 2014-02-03 06:48:49]
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

102IAHexpress

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Is Korean Air reducing DFW to 5 weekly?

thomasphoto60

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 4):
Its even more colourful when you add carriers like AV and AM in there…..IAH needs to start working on LA/TAM now….I ma 100% sure TAM could fill a 332 to GRU or GIG from IAH even with UA in the market

Ironically given Latin America's geographic proximity to Texas, one would think that IAH's ramps would be teeming with Latin carriers. However with UA's (and CO before that) huge presence from IAH into Latin America, I suspect that few operators from that region would want to tangle with United. That said, I too hope we do see an increase in "South Of The Border" carriers in the not-to-distant-future. Mexican LCC Interjet has expressed an interest in IAH (would be cool to see a SSJ docked at terminal 'D'), but I have not heard of any other carrier from that region showing an interest in IAH, not even COPA, and they are adding US destinations at a fairly good clip.
"Show me the Braniffs"

yellowtail

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 6):
However with UA's (and CO before that) huge presence from IAH into Latin America, I suspect that few operators from that region would want to tangle with United.

Doesn't stop them in MIA and AA is even larger than UA. Surely with TAMs FF base in Brazil, especially the business folks, they could do well to IAH.

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 6):
I have not heard of any other carrier from that region showing an interest in IAH, not even COPA,

Well CM has that handshake with UA…..but perhaps once HOU opens up we might see them there.

With the large dive market at IAH….and its diver friendly baggage policy, Insel should give IAH a shot.

thomasphoto60

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 7):
Doesn't stop them in MIA and AA is even larger than UA. Surely with TAMs FF base in Brazil, especially the business folks, they could do well to IAH.

Sadly (or fortunately depending upon your views of Miami), we are not MIA, we for the most part do not attract the leisure traffic in addition to the biz traffic that MIA sees (granted many from Mexico love the Galleria, but that's pretty much it). While I do agree and share you views on this, I am going to defer to those that know the market best and can best explain why the lack of interest from Latin carriers.
"Show me the Braniffs"

IrishAyes

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Surprised that this happened now rather than in 2005-2008 when CO was in SkyTeam and it made far more sense for KE to come to IAH. Nevertheless annoyed that this is starting at the expense of DFW going down to 5-weekly.

I don't really see what value-add Houston brings to the table for KE. Of all the major Asian network carriers, it is by far the largest in North America as-is, not to mention it's now sending A380's to three North American markets.

Overall, KE's network strategy to me is just very all-over-the-place. They announce LAX-LIM, which never materializes, yet decide to boost LAX-GRU from 3w to 5w just when AA adds a daily LAXGRU service. Then they retreat from DFW and add IAH. They send the A380 to ATL then have to reduce from 10w to 7w. The NBO station is questionable. They have an icy relationship with DL and SkyTeam across the Pacific. I just don't really understand it.

Quoting hohd (Reply 2):
This will compete with Air China's 4 times a week flight for connections to China and also connections throughput East Asia including India.

Not India. Korean only serves BOM from ICN, and the timings for IAH to/BOM via ICN either suck or offer long layovers. This is the ICNBOM schedule

ICN 1840 BOM 0040+1 x2467
BOM 0230 ICN 1310 x1357

I ma 100% sure TAM could fill a 332 to GRU or GIG from IAH even with UA in the market.

GRU definitely not. In an ideal world, JJ *should* try and have a go at IAHGIG to get a slice of the oil traffic, but it seems like TAM increasingly wants to focus long-haul traffic out of GRU rather than GIG.

IMHO, this is going to hurt SQ and will surely peel off the traffic going to Vietnam that SQ seemed to own. Why go 2 stop to SGN when you could do it in one?

This is bottom-barrel feeding traffic that is comprised entirely of VFR. SQ cares about filling the front-end of the cabin, particularly on the IAHDME sector. That will not be impacted by the entrance of KE.

thomasphoto60

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Quoting irishayes (Reply 9):
Nevertheless annoyed that this is starting at the expense of DFW going down to 5-weekly.

We felt the same when EK dumped their AM flight for you folks up there.

Surprised that this happened now rather than in 2005-2008 when CO was in SkyTeam and it made far more sense for KE to come to IAH

Agree, frankly I was pulling for BR or the real longshot, NZ. That said, I am very happy to see KE at IAH, especially during the AM hours when 'D' is a ghostown.

[Edited 2014-02-03 07:44:05]
"Show me the Braniffs"

aznmadsci

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:44 pm

KE will be a welcome addition to IAH, though I wish they were around during CO's Skyteam days. Their flights are timed around a quiet time at D/FIS.

Yet doesn't the Vietnam and Philippines traffic consists of mostly VFR traffic and it depends mainly on price. I really do not see much traffic loss for SQ, especially in the premium cabins.

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 5):

On the source link it mentions the reduction at DFW to 5 weekly.
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

LAXdude1023

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:21 pm

First, congrats to our friends at IAH!

Come on man, you cannot compare MIA to IAH in terms of Latin American traffic. Houston is a very large market to Latin America at around 2,600 PDEW to the region, however that pales compared to MIA which generates over 14,000 PDEW to the region.

As for TAM at IAH, I dont think so. IAH-GIG is a large market and lucrative at that, but its still only 80 PDEW. With a UA 777 in the market, that is plenty. IAH-GRU is around 30 PDEW and doesnt have the yields.

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 5):

Yes they are. They are also taking ATL-ICN from 10x weekly to 7x weekly. I guess that explains where the planes are coming from.

This goes to my skepticism about this flight. Im confused as to what the target market is.

The way the flight is timed, you wont be able to make smooth connections to the oil destinations in Southeast Asia (sans Singapore itself) nor China on the return. Houston is not home to a very large Korean community and there arent that many ties between South Texas and Korea.

My prediction is that KE will become the unofficial ethnic VFR airline of Houston the way it has for Dallas.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

HeeseokKoo

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 2):

Just like KE's IAD route, KE will do fine without any feed out of IAH just like IAD-ICN. KE itself has strong network out of ICN. IAH schedule work for most southeast Asia.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 12):
They are also taking ATL-ICN from 10x weekly to 7x weekly. I guess that explains where the planes are coming from.

Weirdly, KE re-uploaded 3x ATL route again although those 3x is blocked yet. IAH route isn't accepting reservations, either. KE has lots of vacant planes, by the way. Only 77W is fully rotated at this moment while 380 and 772 are loosely utilized. Many 747s are just sitting there and doing one short-haul run a day.

LAXdude1023

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Quoting HeeseokKoo (Reply 13):
Just like KE's IAD route, KE will do fine without any feed out of IAH just like IAD-ICN. KE itself has strong network out of ICN. IAH schedule work for most southeast Asia.

The biggest difference is that IAD-ICN is a very large local market by itself. IAH-ICN isnt so much.

yellowtail

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 8):
Sadly (or fortunately depending upon your views of Miami), we are not MIA, we for the most part do not attract the leisure traffic in addition to the biz traffic that MIA sees

This is changing rapidly. I know quite a few folks that have sold their residences in Doral and Aventura and bought in Sugarland and Galleria area. I have been travelling to Houston many times a year for 30 years and the shifts occurring there stagger me. Perhaps a resident you don't see it as much.

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 8):
the lack of interest from Latin carriers.

same could be said a few years ago from asian carriers. All it took was SQ to wake everyone uo.

SQ cares about filling the front-end of the cabin, particularly on the IAHDME sector. That will not be impacted by the entrance of KE.

Agreed. but the Y "gravy" at the back was nice pure profit in a relatively empty section of the plane.

LAXdude1023

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 15):
This is changing rapidly. I know quite a few folks that have sold their residences in Doral and Aventura and bought in Sugarland and Galleria area. I have been travelling to Houston many times a year for 30 years and the shifts occurring there stagger me. Perhaps a resident you don't see it as much.

Not rapidly enough. Houston is not Miami when it comes to Latin American O&D. It has less than 20% of the Latin American O&D that Miami has. MIA-Latin America is still growing faster than IAH-Latin America.

We will both be dead by the time Houston catches up to Miami.

HeeseokKoo

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 14):
The biggest difference is that IAD-ICN is a very large local market by itself. IAH-ICN isnt so much.

Isn't so much yet. Koreans in Houston-area hope that nonstop will create more O&D. Many Koreans around Dallas area drive 3-5 hours to DFW and catch the flight and some of them will now drive to IAH depending on the price or the day.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 12):
My prediction is that KE will become the unofficial ethnic VFR airline of Houston the way it has for Dallas.

Interesting description. In fact, all KE flights from the US are like that, except for peak seasons probably.

LAXdude1023

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Quoting HeeseokKoo (Reply 17):
Isn't so much yet. Koreans in Houston-area hope that nonstop will create more O&D. Many Koreans around Dallas area drive 3-5 hours to DFW and catch the flight and some of them will now drive to IAH depending on the price or the day.

But again, the Korean population in the Dallas area is three times larger than the Korean population in the Houston area. I doubt there are going to be many Koreans living in Dallas that will drive to Houston. The new flight could attact Koreans in Austin as the Korean community in Austin is almost as large as it is in Houston.

yellowtail

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Quoting HeeseokKoo (Reply 17):

Well if that is the case, we hope KE has not taken one (DFW) profitable flight and made it two unprofitable one by splitting loads.

hoons90

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Yes, it is a bit of a strange and unexpected add, just like NBO was. NBO barely seems to be hanging on with the help of cargo.

Korean Air isn't government owned (and hasn't been for over 45 years!), yet sometimes their network planning makes you think otherwise...

Nevertheless, congratulations to Houston and KE!
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

dfwjim1

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Having lived in Dallas for 13 years and with a wife from Brazil, I can confidently say that Dallas, Houston, and Texas as a
whole are not tourist destinations for South American residents. South Americans really like to travel to NYC, South Florida,
California and Boston; Texas is just not on the radar for them as a vacation destination. In fact I would venture to say that
Texas receives very little international tourism and is really a regional tourist destination for surrounding states.

This is not a knock on Texas as I lived there for 13 years and enjoyed it but it is reality.

flyenthu

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Very happy for IAH! Love to see all the international birds there late afternoon through the evening when I fly out from there.

I agree with dfwjim as well. TX is not an international tourist pull as NYC, Miami, Calif etc.

Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 21):
I can confidently say that Dallas, Houston, and Texas as a
whole are not tourist destinations for South American residents

I live in Austin which has a strong domestic tourist component. With F1 it can change. BA is starting a service to Austin from March from LHR. I see a strong tourist draw to San ANtonio from Central America. May be we can boost the TX Gulf Coast.

747megatop

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:44 pm

South Americans really like to travel to NYC, South Florida,
California and Boston; Texas is just not on the radar for them as a vacation destination. In fact I would venture to say that
Texas receives very little international tourism and is really a regional tourist destination for surrounding states.

This is not a knock on Texas as I lived there for 13 years and enjoyed it but it is reality.

NYC, DC area ,California and Florida are primarily the destinations for international tourism. After that maybe Boston & Chicago. Rest of the country is pretty much off the map for international tourism and this is not just for South Americans visiting the country, it applies to others as well.

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:06 pm

I was thinking that since KE does not serve MEX, they could use Skyteam partner AM to connect people through IAH to ICN. However, AM's first MEX-IAH flight of the day doesn't land in Houston until 10:10am, so too short a time for connections. Perhaps they could lean on AM to move the flight up to an earlier time.
There seems to be a large Korean population in MEX, particularly around Zona Rosa and Cuahtemoc areas. I'd imagine Koreans from Mexico City doing VFR flights back home presently travel through LAX?

yellowtail

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:16 pm

You are right but the diaspora's are growing quickly.

EddieDude

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Quoting iahworldflyer (Reply 24):
AM to connect people through IAH to ICN. However, AM's first MEX-IAH flight of the day doesn't land in Houston until 10:10am, so too short a time for connections. Perhaps they could lean on AM to move the flight up to an earlier time.

I am sure AM already funnels pax to KE at LAX and JFK... and to a lesser extent at SFO, ORD and DFW, and vice versa.

There seems to be a large Korean population in MEX, particularly around Zona Rosa and Cuahtemoc areas. I'd imagine Koreans from Mexico City doing VFR flights back home presently travel through LAX?

I don't think there are statistics regarding the travel patterns of these expats, because it is likely a very small colony and in some cases it must be second- and third-generation.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

a380787

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:39 pm

IAH is also getting a good growth in Asian routes

went from 1x NRT to 2x NRT UA + 1x PEK CA + 1x ICN KE (plus that 1-stop IAH-DME-SIN service on SQ)

toxtethogrady

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Ironically given Latin America's geographic proximity to Texas, one would think that IAH's ramps would be teeming with Latin carriers. However with UA's (and CO before that) huge presence from IAH into Latin America, I suspect that few operators from that region would want to tangle with United.

That's exactly it. UA has long had an arrangement with Copa that kept them out of Houston, and United has managed to keep most of the Mexican carriers away from their hub.

Funny how news of this route has not shown up in either the Chronicle nor the HBJ nor the HAS website. They need to get on the stick.

hohd

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:58 pm

If KE thinks it can operate profitably, I am sure CX can also. A 4 times a week to IAH would not be out of the question, especially since UA has no current plans to serve Hong Kong, although it would a great route for 787.

The reason DFW will be 5 times a week, could be based on the Emirates experience. EK was noticing lot of traffic from DFW area to its IAH flights and decided to fly to DFW, plus the fact it has a large population from India. May be KE is seeing the same on its DFW flights. However unlike EK, they are increasing the flights from current 7 to 9 flights a week to Texas.

thomasphoto60

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 pm

I find it interesting that there has yet to be an official announcement from either KE, HAS or both and it is almost 4PM local.

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 23):

NYC, DC area ,California and Florida are primarily the destinations for international tourism. After that maybe Boston & Chicago. Rest of the country is pretty much off the map for international tourism and this is not just for South Americans visiting the country, it applies to others as well.
Having lived in Dallas for 13 years and with a wife from Brazil, I can confidently say that Dallas, Houston, and Texas as a
whole are not tourist destinations for South American residents. South Americans really like to travel to NYC, South Florida,

You know the above comments are pretty much spot on. I use to bemoan the fact that few were interested in Texas, however over the past 2 years as I have been hitting the highways and backroads photographing and exploring my adopted state (Minnesota native) of Texas, what an eye-opening experience. While we do indeed see few "international tourists" the few that I have run across in my travels, tend to be of a different caliber from the average tourist that will visit the likes of LA, NYC, LAS, Florida ect.....hell, I don't really call them tourists, rather travelers, as they are very interested in the state and made an effort to get here. At the end of the day, I have come to the conclusion that I am fine with the fact Texas has a small draw with regards to tourism (int'l or otherwise). I like the fact that Big Bend is the least visited US National Park, due to it's isolation (6 hour drive from ELP and 5 hours from MAF), makes it all the more interesting and special, same could be said for Guadalupe Nat'l Park and Palo Duro Canyon.

Bottom line, we will never be able to compete with the likes of Calif, Florida, Hawaii, ect......nor should we try, We are what we are and once again, I am fine with that. If folks find us too boring, too rural, the weather too hot, that's fine...more for us to enjoy without having to deal with all the more negative aspects of mass tourism...

[Edited 2014-02-03 13:46:26]

[Edited 2014-02-03 13:47:12]
"Show me the Braniffs"

BoeingGuy

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:20 pm

I was speculated that KE is also going to start SJC. Is there any new information on that?

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:32 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 30):
I like the fact that Big Bend is the least visited US National Park, due to it's isolation

It isn't, not by a long shot. Big Bend NP gets more than 10x the visitors of some of the least visited U.S. NPs.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/parkmgmt/visit_stats.htm

It isn't even the least-visited in the U.S.-48; data from 2007 in this quick summary.

http://www.esquire.com/features/trav...l/national-parks-124040809#slide-1

[Edited 2014-02-03 14:43:16]

psa1011

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 31):
I was speculated that KE is also going to start SJC. Is there any new information on that?

I would love to see that happen. KE could codeshare with AS, and maybe AS would finally add some routes.

thomasphoto60

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 32):

It isn't, not by a long shot. Big Bend NP gets more than 10x the visitors of some of the least visited U.S. NPs.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/parkmgmt/visit_stats.htm

It isn't even the least-visited in the U.S.-48; data from 2007 in this quick summary.

http://www.esquire.com/features/trav...l/national-parks-124040809#slide-1

[Edited 2014-02-03 14:43:16]

Interesting I was told by Park Rangers that it was the least visited (lower 48) US National Park last year, oh well, I stand corrected.
"Show me the Braniffs"

CODCAIAH

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 pm

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 30):
I find it interesting that there has yet to be an official announcement from either KE, HAS or both and it is almost 4PM local.

Finally, a mention in the Houston Business Journal from today at 2:53pm CST.
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...y-to-launch-new-houston-seoul.html
From IAH, school in DCA, now live in SFO

Tdan

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:54 pm

Happy to finally see it loaded. Wish it was BR or OZ, but KE will be a welcome addition to IAH. Hopefully they are successful if nothing else than to prove LAXdude wrong about the viability of IAH-ICN! We'll see how well KE does in the market. Hopefully better than CI, but I'm willing to bet not as well as CA.
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

iah59

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:32 am

Delta airilnes can also feed traffic through IAH as well through Korean Air.

LAXdude1023

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:34 am

There seems to be a large Korean population in MEX

Meh, its around 30,000 of which a small number are foreign born.

Quoting Tdan (Reply 36):
if nothing else than to prove LAXdude wrong about the viability of IAH-ICN!

Hehe, we will see.

Its probably going to be the VFR airline of Houston which is (sadly) what its become in Dallas. I think the catalyst for the new service is probably AA starting DFW-ICN. Because the market from Texas to Korea is skewed on the Texas side, AA seems to be carving out the high yielding stuff from DFW and AUS.

I don't know that, now, neither DFW-ICN nor IAH-ICN are going to be barn burners if you catch my drift. However, I think they will both stick on KE.

DTWLAX

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting hohd (Reply 2):
This will compete with Air China's 4 times a week flight for connections to China and also connections throughput East Asia including India.

Definitely not India. It is longer than via Europe.

IAH-ICN-BOM is 10515 miles
IAH-FRA-BOM is 9318 miles

Not India. Korean only serves BOM from ICN, and the timings for IAH to/BOM via ICN either suck or offer long layovers. This is the ICNBOM schedule

ICN 1840 BOM 0040+1 x2467
BOM 0230 ICN 1310 x1357

Correct. You will need an overnight stay at ICN if you are flying BOM to IAH.

TWA772LR

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:29 am

Quoting hohd (Reply 29):
UA has no current plans to serve Hong Kong, although it would a great route for 787

IMO, UA is missing out. Everyone knows they are making SFO their Pacific gateway, but with a plane like the 787, they are missing put on other Pacific markets like IAH-China, EWR-ICN and others.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

iah59

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:41 am

I bet Korean Air wanted to fly in during peak hours at IAH but no space available. I wonder whats the news on Terminal D expansion or building a whole new terminal?

HeeseokKoo

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:56 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 18):
The new flight could attact Koreans in Austin as the Korean community in Austin is almost as large as it is in Houston.

With formal and legal counts, Austin is the same size with Houston, but if you include illegal ones, Houston is 3 times larger, at least. Although, that's only 40% of Dallas area.

Quoting iah59 (Reply 37):

They don't combine fares anymore.

Quoting iah59 (Reply 41):
I bet Korean Air wanted to fly in during peak hours at IAH but no space available.

KE's schedule is very similar to KE's other eastern and southern US routes, and it happens to be when IAH terminal D isn't full at all. KE got what it wants.

AVENSAB727

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:00 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 40):

we can only wait and see, maybe UA is planning them while we speak, who knows..
Always look on the bright side of Life!

a380787

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:11 am

IMO, UA is missing out. Everyone knows they are making SFO their Pacific gateway, but with a plane like the 787, they are missing put on other Pacific markets like IAH-China, EWR-ICN and others.

at least some part of Asia is getting 787 love

SFO-CTU launched - first US carrier to CTU

DEN-NRT launched - first Asian flight from DEN

LAX-NRT and LAX-PVG rightsized, esp the latter that is in fare war with AA

hoons90

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:47 am

Quoting AVENSAB727 (Reply 43):
we can only wait and see, maybe UA is planning them while we speak, who knows..
UA has been downsizing ICN lately. Now that KE is starting IAH-ICN, I highly doubt that UA will. NYC-ICN and ORD-ICN already have two airlines on it, both of which are very well established in those markets. I don't really see any possible routes that UA could add to ICN.

UA's focus is (understandably) on China. It's a much bigger market than Korea is.

[Edited 2014-02-03 21:15:07]
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

tmoney

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:10 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 27):
IAH is also getting a good growth in Asian routes

went from 1x NRT to 2x NRT UA + 1x PEK CA + 1x ICN KE (plus that 1-stop IAH-DME-SIN service on SQ)

I feel like ya'll are forgetting to mention the ME3+1 carriers. Call it barrel feeding or whatevs but I just did rt IAH-DOH-RGN with QR on Y. Hella shorter flight (only 1 stop!) compared to SQ's 2 hops and cheaper than transiting (and having to fly UA metal ... ugh!!) thru NRT on NH.

KE coming to IAH will be a great 1 stop alternative to folks like me connecting onto medium-smaller Asia/SEAsia cities on Y, who's had enough of using oh-so-cheap-these-days ME3s. And I ain't just about to fly CA. No, not their Y. Fo-rizzles.

[Edited 2014-02-03 21:15:34]
Yokes > Side-sticks
Mingarladon heros. RGN.

Homobohemicus

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:01 am

Quoting DTWLAX (Reply 39):

I know I'll be stoned for this, but since PRG airport is and would be utilized for KE's needs for European flights (Everything is written in Korean in PRG airport already  .

With 8x weekly and expected increase in capacity, KE could perhaps route ICN-XXX-GRU through Prague. KE has been ignoring FRA in favor of PRG since they bought their stake in OK.

As mentioned, yes... Routing this flight through Europe is much shorter!

I know its Sci-fi but seeing a very healthy route between PRG and ICN with 8x weekly flights and 747 all summers could be complemented by some of KE's aspirations towards that part of South America and the ability of further grasp more "passengers" along the way!

Now I'll wake up and smell the fumes.... But I have to admit that stranger things have happened!

[Edited 2014-02-04 01:03:34]

justloveplanes

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:02 am

Quoting iah59 (Reply 37):

I think so, for Asia bound travelers on Skyteam, there is now an alternative to Star Alliance / UA. Still not great for US travel, though. This is a 788 route eventually for KE (not sure if they've bought any).

BA0197

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:16 pm

When will IAH do something about terminal D? Everyone on this forum has predicted it for years. It is run down American airport terminal that needs expanding and modernizing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos