CX773W
Topic Author

When Did The HKG-LAX Route Becomes A CX Monopoly?

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:02 am

Hi! I'd just like raise a few questions on the state of the HKG-LAX flights:

1. When did the above route become a CX monopoly?

2. Why was CX able to monopolize this service?

3. What was the last non-CX carrier on this route?

4. When and why did that carrier withdraw from this route?

5. And finally, is HKG-LAX the most heavily monopolized long-haul route between major cities with more that 1 daily filght?

Hope that someone can give insights into my queries above. Thanks!

Francoflier

RE: When Did The HKG-LAX Route Becomes A CX Monopoly?

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:14 am

The direct flight monopoly has a lot to do with AA's unwillingness to engage into that market. Other carriers/alliances seemed fretty too. American carriers would have had a harder time capturing a decent share of a market which consists essentially of Asian diaspora. They also might have lacked the metal to fly it.

That is not to say that there is no competition on the route, albeit everything else would be via an intermediate stop in Japan/Korea/Taiwan/China...

Doesn't United fly there via Guam or HNL as well?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ZK-NBT

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:15 am

Quoting CX773W (Thread starter):

I think UA pulled out in 2009? They flew it until 2001? then restarted in 2007?

I'd say there is a lot of traffic and HKG is a huge hub, whereas none of the US carriers have huge long haul hubs at LAX and their service isn't up to CX standards to compete.

UA

4. When and why did that carrier withdraw from this route?

Lack of a major hub at LAX and cost cutting lack of revenue/profit.

5. And finally, is HKG-LAX the most heavily monopolized long-haul route between major cities with more that 1 daily filght?

Possibly, there are probably others AKL-LAX is a monopoly with 2-3 daily flights.

aznmadsci

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:25 am

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 2):
Possibly, there are probably others AKL-LAX is a monopoly with 2-3 daily flights.

Does PR still have more than 1 daily MNL-LAX flight?
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

jfk777

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:31 pm

LAX and JFK to Hong Kong are only flown nonstop by Cathay, its surprising neither Delta or AA fly JFK to HKG nonstop. UA does fly Newark to HKG and soon CX will fly to EWR.

tortugamon

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:54 pm

Four flights a day and their prices are very competitive with the 1-stop flights. I would think they could charge a big premium. Another example of US domestic carriers not having the equipment or the service standards to compete. Unfortunately.

tortugamon

a380787

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Once the 789 arrives perhaps it might give UA another shot at it

But at the other N.A. ports with competition (SFO ORD YVR YYZ), the much less glorious carriers of UA and AC seem to be holding their ground

JAGflyer

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 6):

Connection traffic on Star Alliance partners is huge. The HKG flights on AC/UA pick up a helluva lot of traffic going to/from NRT, BKK, KIX, and MNL.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

us330

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:19 pm

And finally, is HKG-LAX the most heavily monopolized long-haul route between major cities with more that 1 daily filght?

Define "heavily." AA/BA operates DFW-LHR 4x daily at times, and because of anti-trust immunity, they are considered one carrier on transatlantic routes. Delta has similar frequency from DTW to AMS.

tortugamon

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 pm

But at the other N.A. ports with competition (SFO ORD YVR YYZ), the much less glorious carriers of UA and AC seem to be holding their ground

Add AA from DFW and UA from EWR but I am not sure if holding their ground applies to the EWR flight.

tortugamon

PHX787

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 1):
The direct flight monopoly has a lot to do with AA's unwillingness to engage into that market

AA seems to struggle with anything they do in Asia. Them adding PVG (or was it PEK?) was a surprise to me.

I think their customers are served quite nicely via CX and JL via NRT (or directly through CX)
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

a380787

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 9):
but I am not sure if holding their ground applies to the EWR flight.

So far no frequency cut or downgauge has been announced, so technically UA hasn't "lost ground" just yet

But i have a gut feel that this flight would flip to 787-9 the moment UA gets the first one delivered.

LAXintl

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm

The route is hardly a "monopoly".
There is lots of LA-HKG traffic that flows via 3rd party airports - eg SFO, NRT, TPE, ICN, mainland China etc, so even with a single nonstop player its a very competitive one price wise.

Lastly for historical sake, UA served the route briefly on 3 occasions - 1995-1998(dropped due Asian economic flu) / 2001(killed with 9/11) / 2007-2008(fuel price rise).
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

a321luke

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:40 pm

IIRC they also have a monopoly on JFK-HKG as well. The only competition in the NYC area to HKG is UA's single flight from EWR.
Planes, Trains, and Cars... Heaven :)

AADC10

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:58 pm

I am not sure but in addition to the on and off UA flight I believe there was also a NW flight at one time, in the early 90s. I imagine that some traffic goes to CZ's LAX-CAN.

I suspect that there are other routes that are higher priority. LAX-HKG is too competitive to make it more than a marginal route for UA. Even a 788 would be difficult for UA to fill and they are more focused on SFO.

ytz

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Compare the service on CX and UA. Who'd pick UA?

747megatop

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:12 pm

As recently as last August there were 3 flights a day and they were doing really well. I was trying to get my wife rebooked and all flights to LAX & SFO were sold out for the entire month! So, looks like they have monopolised the route and are doing extremely well.

a380787

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 14):
I suspect that there are other routes that are higher priority. LAX-HKG is too competitive to make it more than a marginal route for UA. Even a 788 would be difficult for UA to fill and they are more focused on SFO.

1. UA is not singularly focused at SFO. They have 3 true Asian gateways and a total of 7 mainland hubs (plus HNL) that have nonstop service to Asia.

2. Other may have higher priority, but UA has tons of 787-8 and 787-9 on order so the growth options are there, after filling in obvious blackholes like EWR-ICN, EWR-GIG, IAH-SCL, SFO-BNE/MEL, or even IAD-PVG

3. Internationally, UA hasn't exhibited behavior that suggests it runs away from competitive routes often. Rightsizing, yes (LAX-NRT/PVG), but not running away. The only major cuts were EWR-IST (simply can't match those rock bottom prices of TK), EWR-EZE (probably something to do with how messy Argentina is) and SEA-NRT but that's marginally okay since it's replaced by ANA JV metal

LAXintl

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 15):

91,329,000 million folks chose United in 2013 for one reason or another, and Pacific revenues represented 35% of all mainline revenues generated in 2013.

So obviously many do hand UA their good money.

copter808

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 15):

And the really crazy part is that it would be so simple for UA to upgrade the service. And the cost would be virtually zero, except for the few dollars spent for food and liquor.

zeke

Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:32 pm

I see two factors, first being the hand back of HKG to the mainland had a lot of people running, and lots of HKG locals ran to the large ports on the west coast of the USA and Canada. A lot of these people tend to travel with CX.

Second was when the main US carriers were being run so inefficiently they went bankrup (Ch 11). If they want to cut costs, a quick way is to remove ULH flying.

Quoting copter808 (Reply 19):
And the cost would be virtually zero, except for the few dollars spent for food and liquor.

Did I read they were reducing their product recently ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

SRT75

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:05 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 20):
Did I read they were reducing their product recently ?

UA will begin charging for alcohol in economy on certain asia flights soon.

Quoting ytz (Reply 15):

Government fliers and certain companies (especially government contractors) require their employees to fly on US airlines. Also, for the non-discerning traveller, they will simply pick the cheapest flight despite the quality of the product.

Do non-CX airlines have LAX-HGK serviec that is one-stop but keeps the same flight number?

eastern747

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:14 pm

So 91,328,999 non rev folks in 2013. The one remaining person flew it and has said they will never return. Great routes for pass riding. Get on the plane, take a pill and sleep through the trip. That would be the only way I would board UA.

shengzhurou

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:03 pm

all the UA flights gets to HKG are late and hard to catch a good connection from HKG to other destinations. specially that the EWR, ORD flights are always late due to ground delays. I wonder why UA doesn't UA operate any redeyes to asia and get there in the morning.
on the other hand, almost all the north america destination cx flys to have more than one flight a day and they have the equipment to do so.
Sheng Zhu Rou

AA777223

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 4):
UA does fly Newark to HKG and soon CX will fly to EWR.

UA flies EWR-HKG on a PMCO 772 (GE). I think that's the only bird they have that can make it reliably. Continues to...ICN?
ORD-HKG with a PMUA 772 PW continues on to SIN
SFO-HKG on a 744. Continues to...BKK?

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 18):
Quoting ytz (Reply 15):

91,329,000 million folks chose United in 2013 for one reason or another, and Pacific revenues represented 35% of all mainline revenues generated in 2013.

Two words - Star Alliance. If you are an alliance flier, you tend to stick with what your options are. I stick with star carriers even if the product isn't the best competing because I want the miles and perqs. Those loyalty programs engender in me...loyalty.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

flaps30

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:02 pm

I know DL used to fly LAX-HKG nonstop with their MD-11 but not sure when they pulled out
every day is a good day to fly

wowpeter

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 18):

The funny thing is that out of that 91million passenger, none of them are on the LAX-HKG sector, so your argument is irrelevant because only a small number of those 91millions are on routes that are in direct competition with CX... And only a very small numbers of those are really choosing between the UA vs CX based on service... So If you look at all the routes that UA and CX actually directly compete, namely:

HKG-NYC (JFK and EWR)
HKG-Chicago
HKG-San Francisco
HKG-Tokyo
HKG-Singapore
HKG- Ho Chi Minh

Just look at the above routes... And tell me how many passengers CX is carrying and how many passenger is UA carrying... CX carried way more passenger on those routes than UA. So clearly on those routes passenger are choosing CX over UA for a reason. Often times on those routes UA are often pricing their tickets way cheaper than CX and yet CX is still carrying more passenger than UA, so there must be a reason why this is the case? Ok you may say this is unfair, you are looking at Asian regional flight where united is slot and right constrained... Ok take those out, my argument still remains true even if you just look at the long haul Trans-pacific route that both UA and CX operate... So service must mean sometime... For example, On a 16 hours flight from New York to Hong Kong, service matters, so even though UA often charge way lower fares than CX across each class, CX is still competing quite comfortable with superior service.

So It is easy to use your 91 million numbers to argue there are a lot of people who choose UA in North America... But the same argument can be said that majority of those 91million passengers never had the opportunities to experience real competition from a full service high quality carrier, since most of those 91million passengers are domestic flyer where pretty much there are no distinction between carrier as every operator in US provide next to no service, so the only differential factors are price and which frequent flyer program do I enrolled in. Yes you point our Asia Pacific make up 35% of United business but that is mainly due to higher fares not necessary due to higher passenger numbers, if you look at passenger numbers, majority of United passenger will be domestic passenger, and second will be Trans-Atlantic... Anyway, if only if the US domestic passenger get to experience higher quality carrier who provide better service, then they will know what they are missing... Especially when the domestic fares in the US is not entirely cheap (yes there are some cheap fares but there are also a lot of really really expensive fares as well).

bharathkv

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:30 pm

Not sure if this is out of topic but CX is starting a second HKG-ORD flight starting mid this year but I do not find competitive fare for ORD-HKG-India flights. Not sure if CX are concentrating on some other sector since EK, EY, BA, LH and QR have competitive fares in ORD-India sector.

stratacruiser

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 24):
UA flies EWR-HKG on a PMCO 772 (GE). I think that's the only bird they have that can make it reliably. Continues to...ICN?
ORD-HKG with a PMUA 772 PW continues on to SIN
SFO-HKG on a 744. Continues to...BKK?

The 772 from ORD is the only one to continue onwards. Other inter-Asia flights from HKG (SGN, NRT, GUM) are operated by sCO 738s.

Dave

travelin man

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Quoting wowpeter (Reply 26):
The funny thing is that out of that 91million passenger, none of them are on the LAX-HKG sector

This is not true. A significant number of passengers connect LAX-SFO-HKG on UA. I know this because I was one of them last month, flying in Business Class. I know several corporations in L.A. (including a couple of entertainment companies) that force their travelers to choose UA over other carriers going Trans-Pacific.

I have flown CX in Business Class as well, and they are good. But sometimes you take the airline your company tells you to (since they are the ones paying the bill).

jfk777

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:36 pm

Cathay some how dominates the long haul routes from and to Hong Kong. All the important routes to Europe, Johannesburg, Australia and North America CX flies it is an equal or is far superior to the competition. To LHR it has 4 or 5 flights daily and domiantes BA which is flyiing an A380 on one of its two daily HKG flights. The route where it has grown by leaps and bounds is the JFK to HKG route, it has 3 nonstops and one more stopping in Vancouver. TO Sydney it flies several times daily even with Qantas flying its A380 to Hong Kong once daily. Their stragey is really frequency, even to markets 16 hours away the 77W allows muliple flights daily nonstop. They are the anti- A380 airline.

ldvaviation

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:20 pm

Quoting travelin man (Reply 29):
I have flown CX in Business Class as well, and they are good. But sometimes you take the airline your company tells you to (since they are the ones paying the bill).

There are many companies in the LA area that allow their employees to fly the AA codeshare on CX in business.

(Those companies have travel contracts with AA. AA provides CX with a lot of feed and marketing support at LAX and elsewhere.)

olddominion727

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:48 pm

DL flew it with an MD11 and UA with a 744 before 9/11

travelin man

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:06 am

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 31):
There are many companies in the LA area that allow their employees to fly the AA codeshare on CX in business.

(Those companies have travel contracts with AA. AA provides CX with a lot of feed and marketing support at LAX and elsewhere.)

I never said there weren't. I was disputing the assertion that UA does not carry anyone LAX-HKG.

Viscount724

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:22 am

Quoting copter808 (Reply 19):
Quoting ytz (Reply 15):

And the really crazy part is that it would be so simple for UA to upgrade the service. And the cost would be virtually zero, except for the few dollars spent for food and liquor.

Multiply your few dollars by 91 million passengers a year and it quickly adds up to real money.

JHwk

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:27 am

Quoting shengzhurou (Reply 23):
all the UA flights gets to HKG are late and hard to catch a good connection from HKG to other destinations.

I would say this is the biggest issue keeping UA from flying direct LAX-HKG, unfortunately. All of UA's HKG flights need connecting traffic, and leaving at 10AM PST for a good arrival time doesn't give much of a chance at that. I'm making life that much worse on myself to save some $ by flying LAX-NRT-HKG for the 7's. Wife is really ticked due to the midnight arrival...

chiawei

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:45 am

How is this even a question?

HW, Food, Service, Cabin attendant- Name one area where any US carrier is superior than Asian carriers (save Air China- which is as bad as united).

The only reason to fly UA is to keep star alliance status. Although given the recent change to include spend, I am getting less inclined to keep UA mileage plus. Because I can do the same by accumulating miles on other * carrier, where I don't have to deal with spend requirement.

Who wants to spend 15+ hours in a business class seat that is no wider than economy seat? Where you have no privacy? Crappy food? Flight attendant that really don't know what happy face is?

CX773W
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:51 am

In light of some responses that discuss services on this services with intermediate stops, I'd like to focus this thread back to non-stop HKG-LAX services or other non-stop long haul services similarly monopolized. Thanks!

CX773W
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:53 am

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 2):

So why is NZ also monopolizing the AKL-LAX route? Thanks!

lutfi

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:19 am

Quoting bharathkv (Reply 27):
Not sure if this is out of topic but CX is starting a second HKG-ORD flight starting mid this year but I do not find competitive fare for ORD-HKG-India flights. Not sure if CX are concentrating on some other sector since EK, EY, BA, LH and QR have competitive fares in ORD-India sector.

As far as I can tell, CX only goes after India traffic from the West Coast. ORD/JFK-HKG routes are ULH, and the Indian market just doesn't generate the yields to justify ULH (cf ending of most if not all non-stop US-India flights, and AI selling the B77L)

More economic to fly eastbound from ORD/ NYC to India than Westbound basically.

wzafar

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 am

I flew UA from GUM to HKG just last month on a 737 so they do definitely still fly the route

jfklganyc

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:33 pm

Of course the route is a monopoly. Two of the largest cities in the world with only one carrier. Good for CX!

Why?

1. Huge resources needed for this long flight. Each US Legacy has a hub or mini hub at LAX, but none of them regard the market enough to commit the resources for this flight. AA and DL have at most a small hub or gateway. UA has a hub, but there Asian gateway is up the road in SFO. This also lead to #2...

2. Long flight, product matters. CX has better product placement to even the average customer. They likely command a premium vs a US carrier nonstop.

3. CX has one hub like BA in LHR. They can afford to run 3 or 4 flights a day to one long haul city. DL needs to connect several hubs. Same with UA. AA is a small factor in Asia so forget connecting multiple hubs

a380787

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Quoting CX773W (Reply 38):

UA just "happens" to pull out of the route, and QF figured sending the 332 to Asia might be better than doing SYDAKLLAXJFK routing which takes quite a few planes to do the whole circuit

deltacto

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Quoting flaps30 (Reply 25):
I know DL used to fly LAX-HKG nonstop with their MD-11 but not sure when they pulled out

DL flew LAX-HKG between 1992 and 1995.
Originally the flight operated LAX/ANC/HKG with the L-1011-500.
Later DL flew LAX/HKG nonstop with the MD-11.
DL returned to HKG with the NW merger - HKG/NRT

DL started DTW-HKG June 1, 2010 and that lasted until September 1, 2012

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1034

Delta Suspends DTW-HKG (by cat3dual Jun 23 2012 in Civil Aviation)

SEA-HKG nonstop starts June 16

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2082

a380787

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Quoting deltacto (Reply 43):
Later DL flew LAX/HKG nonstop with the MD-11.

MD-11 was the wrong plane for the route. My uncle (ex DL captain) mentioned that the LAXHKG flight had to fuel stop frequently on westbound.

stratacruiser

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:56 pm

I choose UA to Asia over other *A carriers because -

- double miles for 1Ks (adds up on trans-Pacific)
- possibility of upgrade with systemwides
- economy plus seating if not upgraded - that extra 4 inches or so trumps SQ's better cabin service
- company negotiated discounts generally mean lower fares

As someone else pointed out, those loyalty programs keep you loyal   And as far as the pay for drinks policy goes, 1Ks get drink coupons, or if you're on business travel I expect most people expense it anyway.

Without the Mileage Plus status though I would be on CX, BR, SQ, OZ, NH, etc

Dave

codc10

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:12 pm

Quoting stratacruiser (Reply 28):
HKG (SGN, NRT, GUM) are operated by sCO 738s.

HKG-NRT is gone and the 4x-5x weekly GUM-NRT is a terminator (not a single flight # originating in the US) but 'supplies' the airplane for the HKG-SGN turn. UA116/117 is a 'direct' SGN-HKG-EWR and v.v. with change of gauge at HKG to the 737 from GUM. The HKG-SIN service originates in ORD and operates with 777 equipment now that ORD-HKG is no longer 744. For the moment, SFO-HKG is a 744 turn with an approximate 16.5h ground time at HKG, which would be sufficient to operate the HKG-SIN-HKG turn as it has from time to time, should demand require.

My understanding is the present bilateral does not allow for HKG-BKK service on UA.

bharathkv

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Quoting lutfi (Reply 39):
More economic to fly eastbound from ORD/ NYC to India than Westbound basically.

Totally agree. Apparently my father says he was able to fine cheap fares for India-ORD flights on CX in June. When I checked ORD-India (the other way) CX is a premium fare. It is interesting to note that probably CX is trying to get customers from India to fly to ORD on its aircrafts. Also one more thing to note is CX has a great connection too. Also it takes around 22 hrs or so for ORD-HKG-MAA (with layover time) similar to ORD-DEL-MAA and ORD-LHR-MAA. So I think CX is trying to get into that market.

LAXintl

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Quoting codc10 (Reply 46):
My understanding is the present bilateral does not allow for HKG-BKK service on UA.

Sure it does.

UA dropped HKG-BKK circa 2000.

UAL: HKG-SIN/HKG-BKK? (by United Airline Jun 28 2001 in Civil Aviation)
and
UA To BKK (by

malaysia

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 pm

I thought I saw somewhere that UA changed all 789 orders to 787-10?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos