Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ImperialEagle
Topic Author

Biebers Cockpit Crew Avoids Contact High!

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Well, this story sheds some light on just how out-of-control the Bieber situation got. He certainly isn't the first celebrity to fog the cabin with weed, however it must have gotten pretty thick-----here is a article from today's NY Post;

http://pagesix.com/2014/02/05/inside...ga=1.90969951.437580986.1390095181

Sounds like Bieber's dad is off the hook too!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

Stitch

RE: Biebers Cockpit Crew Avoids Contact High!

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Do note that The New York Post is a tabloid paper so I would not take the article as being 100% true.  

SuseJ772

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

Mortyman

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 pm

NBC:

Pilots says the cabin was full of marijuana smoke and that the pilots were forced to wear oxygen masks.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investig...ide-story-biebers-pot-plane-n22056

AR385

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 pm

My main problem with this story is the following:

If the pilots, both of them, have an issue with the quality of the air on board to then point they have to wear their Oxygen masks, again, the two of them, doesn´t that become a serious emergency with an immediate landing required?

Somebody correct me if I´m wrong.

crazyfoo88

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:32 pm

Ah this little fart gives Canadians way too bad rapport. Really wish he would get busted enough that people finally get him the psychological and substance treatments he needs.
crazyfoo88

ImperialEagle
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
doesn´t that become a serious emergency with an immediate landing required?

Yes. This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened. Won't be the last. A responsible flight crew caught between their own values, the FAA, safety on one side, and the desire to keep their lives and their jobs on the other.
Bieber and his dad are a pos.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

dtw2hyd

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:59 pm

In his defense, he did ask flight crew to roll down windows.

It was a 55 minute flight. How much they have to smoke to fill entire Gulfstream IV.

[Edited 2014-02-05 16:11:52]
All posts are just opinions.

QantasAussie

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:03 am

Based on what I read, they used the oxygen masks so as not to fail a drug test if they would have been required to take one upon landing due to all the fumes in the cabin.
I feel bad for these guys, having to put up with a young, spoiled, rich kid not having the decency to respect their providing a service for him.

rampbro

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 am

I always try to finish my bag of weed before I cross the border too   

uberflieger

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:28 am

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 7):
In his defense, he did ask the flight crew to roll down the windows

now even a.net is belieberized   

FlyDeltaJets

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 am

If the crew was so worried about their jobs they definitely wouldn't have sold their story to the tabloids. They would have kept quiet about it.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

Mir

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:13 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
If the pilots, both of them, have an issue with the quality of the air on board to then point they have to wear their Oxygen masks, again, the two of them, doesn´t that become a serious emergency with an immediate landing required?

He's already been abusive to the FA. Diverting immediately raises the possibility of him being more abusive, perhaps violent. There's no reinforced cockpit door on a bizjet, so that also has to be taken into consideration. It's really a scenario where there's no right thing to do, but continuing in order to try and de-escalate the situation is not an unreasonable thing to do. It's a short flight, so he'd be out of their hair fairly quickly. If it were me, though, I'd call and have the police meet me at the ramp. The Port Authority police do not take crap very kindly, and I'm sure they'd be happy to teach him a lesson if he made a fuss.

Quoting flydeltajets (Reply 11):
If the crew was so worried about their jobs they definitely wouldn't have sold their story to the tabloids. They would have kept quiet about it.

If you read the article, it wasn't the pilots who went to the press. They talked to the police at TEB (which is completely reasonable), and then the police went to the press.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

zippyjet

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:28 am

Quoting crazyfoo88 (Reply 5):

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 10):

He and New Jersey (Northern NYC suburbs) are perfect for each other may he inhabit a jail in that region. And, if the pilots feel they need O2 then let them have it.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

Dreadnought

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:43 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):

They should have turned back to their departure airport, saying they did not want to risk being pilots of a plane used to transport drugs over the border. Bieber forfeits the cost of the charter, and he misses the Superbowl. That might have gotten his attention.

He really needs to get some sense beat into him.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 am

Ah this little fart gives Canadians way too bad rapport.

Please take him back. America doesn't want him anymore (not that Canada should have to deal with him either).    
Quoting Mir (Reply 12):
He's already been abusive to the FA. Diverting immediately raises the possibility of him being more abusive, perhaps violent. There's no reinforced cockpit door on a bizjet, so that also has to be taken into consideration. It's really a scenario where there's no right thing to do, but continuing in order to try and de-escalate the situation is not an unreasonable thing to do.

Nice. Abuse the people making your trip good (or is that your dealer?)

Somebody needs to get an old lady with a ruler to calm this kid down. Seriously, I've never seen such a mess of a person and his father is just an older version, probably just sponging off of his son's money and clout to fuel his mid-life crisis.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

prebennorholm

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:51 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 12):
He's already been abusive to the FA. Diverting immediately raises the possibility of him being more abusive, perhaps violent.

You are right, Mir, the crew staid cool headed and did the right thing.

But I wonder how he is going to return? Will the railway accept him on the train? That poor kid is certainly making his "business" complicated.

Quoting Mir (Reply 12):
...and then the police went to the press.

My guess is that press agencies sent their most junior trainees to the police station to read the daily report.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Mir

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:24 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 14):
They should have turned back to their departure airport, saying they did not want to risk being pilots of a plane used to transport drugs over the border. Bieber forfeits the cost of the charter

Except he might not have forfeited the cost of he charter. He'd have had to pay for the plane flying up to Canada to pick him up, and for whatever time the plane spent in the air when it departed and came back, and likely for the cost of cleaning the smell out of the aircraft but the cost of getting the plane back to Teterboro would probably have fallen on the charter company because they weren't providing him with the agreed upon service.

It's also possible the pilots feared retribution from the company if they didn't complete the flight - even in situations like this there can be a lot of pressure to make it to the destination (and if the company has to eat the cost of the reposition flight back to Teterboro that's not going to make them happy). I have no idea if Meridian is the sort of company that would do that (and I tend to hear good things about them, so I'll say they're not unless proven otherwise), but they do exist.

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 16):
But I wonder how he is going to return?

There'll be a company that'll fly him. Lots of charter operators out there who don't mind dealing with unsavory characters (and to be fair, you hear a lot of stories about celebrities who act up on planes and then soon after are informed of the error of their ways and change their behavior for the better - maybe he'll be one, though I wouldn't hold my breath).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

71Zulu

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:30 am

They should have turned back to their departure airport, saying they did not want to risk being pilots of a plane used to transport drugs over the border. Bieber forfeits the cost of the charter, and he misses the Superbowl. That might have gotten his attention.

And then the pilots and their company get sued by some hotshot NYC lawyer.....no thanks, let somebody else teach him a lesson. The pilots did the right thing.

prebennorholm

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
There'll be a company that'll fly him. Lots of charter operators out there who don't mind dealing with unsavory characters (and to be fair, you hear a lot of stories about celebrities who act up on planes and then soon after are informed of the error of their ways and change their behavior for the better...

Okay, I see. I have no experience in the biz jet charter business. Maybe they can cope with it.

Maybe they can substitute 1 x 100lbs female FA with 3 x 300lbs male FAs.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
and to be fair, you hear a lot of stories about celebrities who act up on planes and then soon after are informed of the error of their ways and change their behavior for the better - maybe he'll be one, though I wouldn't hold my breath).

He's had about a hundred chances to be that guy, and he hasn't. I agree, don't hold your breath.

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 19):
Maybe they can substitute 1 x 100lbs female FA with 3 x 300lbs male FAs.

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 16):
My guess is that press agencies sent their most junior trainees to the police station to read the daily report.

I can hear that office announcment now: "Okay newbies, Bieber's plane lands in ten minutes. Give at half and hour and head over there."
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

YYZYYT

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:43 am

">Quoting Mir (Reply 12):
Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):

He's already been abusive to the FA. Diverting immediately raises the possibility of him being more abusive, perhaps violent. There's no reinforced cockpit door on a bizjet, so that also has to be taken into consideration. It's really a scenario where there's no right thing to do, but continuing in order to try and de-escalate the situation is not an unreasonable thing to do. It's a short flight, so he'd be out of their hair fairly quickly. If it were me, though, I'd call and have the police meet me at the ramp. The Port Authority police do not take crap very kindly, and I'm sure they'd be happy to teach him a lesson if he made a fuss.

If you read the article, it wasn't the pilots who went to the press. They talked to the police at TEB (which is completely reasonable), and then the police went to the press.
They should have turned back to their departure airport, saying they did not want to risk being pilots of a plane used to transport drugs over the border. Bieber forfeits the cost of the charter, and he misses the Superbowl. That might have gotten his attention

It was a short flight, diverting would not have put them on the ground all that much sooner. So instead the pilots continued on - but also alerted the authorities. Perfectly appropriate.

pwm2txlhopper

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 am

There's no such thing as a contact high from secondhand marijuana smoke.

When I was younger, I took a job as a contract ramp agent for Delta. I had to take the required pre-employment drug test. I had been at a Primus concert the night before the test and was surrounded by a cloud of secondhand pot smoke. At the time, I also use to spend a lot of time at a friends pot smoke filled apartment. I remember I was concerned I could test false positive and brought this up with the nurse taking my urine sample. She assured me there's been medical tests done where people were put in a room for up to an hour with marijuana smoke pumped in. Yet, the test subjects always test negative. You don't simply get high enough dose of THC in inhaled secondhand smoke to register the presence of THC in a urine sample.

When people claim to feel high from secondhand smoke, it's simply placebo effect.

[Edited 2014-02-05 20:09:28]

CGMAI

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:05 am

Ah this little fart gives Canadians way too bad rapport. Really wish he would get busted enough that people finally get him the psychological and substance treatments he needs.

I might be from the generation that thinks that this buffoon is GOD but I can not stand him (nor his music) and now I dislike (read hate) him even more for what he has made this poor crew live. Could the US please keep him and Canada not let him come back?
If its not built by Airbus it must not be good ;-)

travaz

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:12 am

At some point the money has to run low. he is not really a huge hit at the moment. Spend it all than go get a real job. Any guess on the cost of that charter?

usair330

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:25 am

Quoting CGMAI (Reply 23):
Could the US please keep him and Canada not let him come back?

We were just using him for taxes, yaw can have him back now.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:37 am

No way. No givsies backsies!
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

thomasphoto60

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:41 am

Quoting usair330 (Reply 25):
Quoting travaz (Reply 24):
At some point the money has to run low. he is not really a huge hit at the moment. Spend it all than go get a real job. Any guess on the cost of that charter?

As neither the US or Canada want the little putz, perhaps we could pawn him off on someone else,,,,,,,, Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba......? Hell, we'll even sweeten the pot (no pun intended) and throw in Miley and Lindsey.
"Show me the Braniffs"

ual747den

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:48 am

Quoting QantasAussie (Reply 8):

Based on what I read, they used the oxygen masks so as not to fail a drug test if they would have been required to take one upon landing due to all the fumes in the cabin.
I feel bad for these guys, having to put up with a young, spoiled, rich kid not having the decency to respect their providing a service for him.

They are not really providing a service to him, he is paying a crazy amount of money for that flight.
It's a really bad position to be in for the pilots, on the one hand people who charter an aircraft do so because they want complete discretion and to be able to do whatever they want. That is a big reason that they are paying an insane amount of money for a short hop that could easily be done on a comerical flight. Pilots who fly these chartered biz jets see things that the public would never imagine. It is not uncommon at all to see very public people doing drugs on a charter flight and the discretion of the crew is part of what you are paying for. Now the part where it becomes a problem is when the passengers activity starts to effect the crew from doing their job which is what happened in this case. The first problem is that the passengers were being so rude to the FA that the pilots asked her to sit up front with them. The next problem is that the pilots asked the passengers several times to stop smoking and were ignored. The pilots said that the smoke was so thick that they were worried about getting a contact high and possibly failing a drug test. When this happened the pilots really had no choice other than to report the activity on-board because that activity could have cost them their entire future as a pilot. Putting on their oxygen and then reporting it on the ground was really the only choice they had at that point. The article says that the aircraft was met by DEA, CBP, and local police who only found stems but no weed on-board.

I am a person who is not opposed to people smoking bud (even though I do not) however I am opposed to a person smoking weed when it effects other people and especially when it can hurt their job and therefore their future. If he was doing coke or something like that which was not affecting the crew I would say that they should keep quite about it and leave it alone, but in this situation the pilots did exactly what they HAD to do and were FORCED to do by Justin.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:55 am

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 27):
As neither the US or Canada want the little putz, perhaps we could pawn him off on someone else,,,,,,,, Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba......? Hell, we'll even sweeten the pot (no pun intended) and throw in Miley and Lindsey.

In the words of Stewie Griffin...."Yes, yes, oh God please yes!"  

26point2

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:14 am

I don't see it mentioned but diverting from the E-APIS clearance and landing at other than your intended destination on an International flight arriving in the US can cause much more trouble. Not saying it can't be done but it would cause more headaches for the crew...surely they thought of this too.

a320fan

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:22 am

Isn't it illegal to smoke on board an aircraft, or are biz jets exempt from this? If it is illegal then why aren't they charged how a normal person would be in such a situation. It really bugs me how celebs seem to get away with so much with no punishment.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

AR385

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:30 am

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 22):
There's no such thing as a contact high from secondhand marijuana smoke.

It´s not common, but yes you can. And it´s becoming more common with these hydroponic special varieties that are genetically altered to have more THC. It also depends on the quality of the testing.

I remember I was concerned I could test false positive and brought this up with the nurse taking my urine sample. She assured me there's been medical tests done where people were put in a room for up to an hour with marijuana smoke pumped in.

I would question that nurse´s knowledge on the matter.

dumbell2424

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:44 am

Quoting a320fan (Reply 31):
If it is illegal then why aren't they charged how a normal person would be in such a situation

No evidence.

From the link in reply 2:

Quote:
No sign of drugs were detected and no illegal substances were found, a law enforcement source told CNN last week.

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:46 am

Quoting dumbell2424 (Reply 33):

Maybe they actually got the pilots to roll down the windows so they could ditch the drugs on approach!

Stackhouse007

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:39 am

Quoting a320fan (Reply 31):

I believe biz jets are exempt from this. I work the ramp at a smaller executive style airport and I've heard other stories of passengers smoking. In fact, if you read the requirements to be a pilot for NetJets, it states that passengers can and will smoke on your planes.
Nikon D60: 18-55mm - 55-200mm / Canon 50D: 100-400mm

INFINITI329

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:05 am

The authorities were notified so this incident would become public knowledge. The press may just br picking out info form the DEA or CBP reports

rlwynn

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:56 am

Since they had the masks on they should have depressurized.
I can drive faster than you

Ronaldo747

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:11 am

There are strict immigration and inhabitation rules for all other humans and the American authorities are still not able to expel him. Stupid ....

tjwgrr

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:19 am

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 34):
Maybe they actually got the pilots to roll down the windows so they could ditch the drugs on approach!

Probably flushed them down the crapper.... (where Bieber belongs too.)

How soon before we hear Bieber's in re-hab? He's already admitted to doing more than just pot when he was busted in Florida... But that's for a different forum I guess....
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

CGMAI

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:46 am

Quoting usair330 (Reply 25):

You government (like ours) still needs         , so why not keep him a tad bit longer?  
Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 27):
No way. No givsies backsies!

Most American stars and singers are nuts you would not notice the difference of one more.  
Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 26):

Oh good idea!  And I have the perfect country for all these buffoons...North Korea!  Of course if we send them there we might never see them again considering how people that Kim Jung does not like tend to vanish but who would care? LOL

On a side note...its sad that Miley Cyrus still is a really good singer and I would have purchased her newest CD if she had not gone nuts...   
If its not built by Airbus it must not be good ;-)

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 pm

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 15):
Please take him back. America doesn't want him anymore (not that Canada should have to deal with him either).

Deport him to GITMO!

United_fan

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:17 pm

NOt to mention getting the stink out of the plane for the next customer.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

RWA380

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:28 pm

When you have offensive amounts of money, you will never quit until you can see how youre life is fading away. He is too busy being a top of the hill guy with access to whatever he wants. He may never get back, but I hope so.

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 7):
It was a 55 minute flight. How much they have to smoke to fill entire Gulfstream IV

You'd be surprised how fast we could fill my folks VW bus in the parking loy in high school.

Quoting QantasAussie (Reply 8):

Do you honestly think this is their first run in with a privledged young punk, who thinks he owns the world? I'm sure it's quite common in the celebrity private jet world, they should be used to it.

If the crew was so worried about their jobs they definitely wouldn't have sold their story to the tabloids. They would have kept quiet about it

As was said above they did not talk to the media, but the police instead.

He really needs to get some sense beat into him.

Nah then he'd have his guys egg it, and no one wants sense with egg on it.

There's no such thing as a contact high from secondhand marijuana smoke

I beg to differ from personal experiences during college, but in all fairnes it has to be excessive amounts.

Quoting ual747den (Reply 28):
Pilots who fly these chartered biz jets see things that the public would never imagine. It is not uncommon at all to see very public people doing drugs on a charter flight and the discretion of the crew is part of what you are paying for.

Thanks you, why do you think these private rides are so popular, aside from the convenience.

Quoting ual747den (Reply 28):
I am a person who is not opposed to people smoking bud (even though I do not) however I am opposed to a person smoking weed when it effects other people and especially when it can hurt their job and therefore their future. If he was doing coke or something like that which was not affecting the crew I would say that they should keep quite about it and leave it alone, but in this situation the pilots did exactly what they HAD to do and were FORCED to do by Justin.

As you said above, these pilots should have encountered it before, but obviously it was excessive.

Quoting CGMAI (Reply 40):
On a side note...its sad that Miley Cyrus still is a really good singer and I would have purchased her newest CD if she had not gone nuts...

She is nuts like a fox, and all the way to the bank. Her Dad taught her how to milk being a sex symbol, and Madonna coaches her, and like her or not, Madonna has spanned 3 decades, staying relevent in the music world, very well.

Quoting United_fan (Reply 42):

NOt to mention getting the stink out of the plane for the next customer.

While powerful whiles it is burning (if it's good) Pot smoke does not leave fabrics smelling like cigarette smoke. I have never beeen billed a smoking fee in a non-smoking room, ever! Medical problems have their advantages.  
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

georgiaame

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:28 pm

As an AME, I consider the situation appalling. Those pilots could have been subjected to a random drug test, failed, and lost their certifications and their jobs, not that that would upset that teenage snot-nose. The moment those O2 masks went on, the ground should have been apprised of the situation, police notified, followed by an urgent landing. And personally, I would have wanted the FAA and my boss notified immediately of the probable unintentional exposure.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

Oroka

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:57 pm

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 15):

He was a good kid until some yankee got their claws into him! He is your problem now!

Boeing717200

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Quoting Oroka (Reply 45):

Sure. Blame us for the inaction of a Canadian parent.

Good thing if the pilots called it in. This little turd needs a wake up call.

[Edited 2014-02-06 07:12:27]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:30 pm

Quoting Oroka (Reply 45):
He is your problem now!

Are you sure, what about half of the Confused News Network anchors and most comedians.

We could use flight crew in a PSA about second hand pot smoking.
All posts are just opinions.

71Zulu

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Quoting georgiaame (Reply 44):
As an AME, I consider the situation appalling. Those pilots could have been subjected to a random drug test, failed, and lost their certifications and their jobs,

Is there no cut-off level as an allowance for second hand smoke in the FAA testing? I know in other industries there is. Even Greyhound allowed a small amount to account for the possibility of second hand smoke when cigarette smoking was allowed on their buses.

pasu129

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:59 pm

And people wonder why there's a need to have disciplinary actions towards him. Obviously his dad wasn't doing the job...

On a aviation related note, would the use of oxygen masks on plane be any better even with circulated air within the cabin?
Viva Las Vegas