bioyuki
Topic Author

VP Joe Biden Calls LGA A 'Third World Country'

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 pm

In context of America's declining infrastructure, US Vice President Joe Biden said:

"If I took you and blindfolded you and took you to LaGuardia Airport in New York, you'd think, ‘I must be in some third-world country,’" Biden said. When his statement drew laughter from the crowd, Biden quickly noted, "I'm not joking."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/6/538...uardia-airport-third-world-country
Next flight: LX 39/564: SFO-ZRH-NCE

HPRamper

RE: VP Joe Biden Calls LGA A 'Third World Country'

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:57 pm

This certainly is not the most negative reference I've heard to LaGarbage.

MaverickM11

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:06 pm

That is offensive to third world countries  Even the worst terminal in BOM is nicer than the CTB in LGA.
E pur si muove -Galileo

pasu129

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:10 pm

Agree with VP right here. Airports are one of the first gateways anybody visits would see, shouldn't it be modern with the latest technology, which shows the world how advance that country should be?

Why does JFK need 8 terminals when HKG can accomplish the same with 2?
Viva Las Vegas

QantasAussie

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:28 pm

This is probably the first time I've agreed with Joe Biden. LGA is a disaster. I avoid it wherever possible. The only good thing about it is that the UA lounge is before security so if picking up someone from the airport - especially considering that they're always delayed, you could hang out in the United club.
I would think that for the $15 it costs to go over the GWB or the Verrazano Bridge, there should be plenty of $$$ for improvements over there. I've been in airports all over the globe and LGA is by far the dreariest.

Tigerguy

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:33 pm

Well, Biden's barking up the right tree. LGA is probably the only airport that I've had no desire to just walk about and look around.

Quoting pasu129 (Reply 3):

One could argue that JFK doesn't need 8 (well, 6 now) terminals, but that's just they way the airport was built. Airlines wanted their own spaces to see who had the prettiest building--all part of the competition. Doing a major project like paring JFK down to 2 big terminals would be an expensive pain in the butt, to say the least. Don't forget that HKG had the luxury of being built on its own little island in the modern day. All they had to do was flip the switch off at Kai Tak, and that was that, long story short.
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

seabosdca

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Ugh. LGA may be the worst major airport in the country, especially now that MIA's seen some improvements. It's a horrible facility, horribly kept, and it gives travelers through it a horrible experience. And then you have to leave... one of the largest and densest cities in the world and the only reasonable way out is to take a cab, which requires you to battle through a wall of illegal towncar drivers trying to convince you their deathtraps are cheaper.

Stackhouse007

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:36 pm

I would have to agree with him as well. He could have listed many more airports than LGA that are rather embarrassing to our country.
Nikon D60: 18-55mm - 55-200mm / Canon 50D: 100-400mm

caribbean484

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Have to agree with him, I love the scenic approaches, however, the airport continues to be in the dumps for a long time now.
Third world airports have better terminals than LGA which is really sad for a city like New York.

Historic precedence, JFK was to be a terminal city in the 60's and 70's, but now that legacy continues. There are really 6 terminals now, T3 is demolished and T6 area will be converted into T5i for B6.
All ah we is one family

CALMSP

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:49 pm

finally something comign out of Biden's mouth I can agree with!!!

EA CO AS

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:09 pm

I know I'm absolutely in the minority here, but having literally grown up at LGA (my mom worked for EA there during the 70s and occasionally took me to work with her in the afternoons) I have a fondness for the small, quirky nature of the CTB. Yeah, it's not state of the art or anywhere near it - but I still like it and will mourn its loss once redeveloped.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DexSwart

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:17 pm

To be honest, I haven't seen too many really striking or nice American terminals. I don't mean to offend anyone, here, though. TBIT is looking good! Although last time I flew in to LAX it was through a United terminal with absolutely no style or elegance.

LGA is the worst, I agree.

I like DEN, as a whole. And maybe, JFK's newest terminal.

Isn't there a DL campaign about their new terminal at LGA? Or refurbished one?
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

ImperialEagle

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Oh, but can you imagine the furor if they started to do major construction at LGA!   
I wouldn't go near there.

There would be no end to all the bitching----as if there is an end now.  
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

prosa

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 pm

Quoting QantasAussie (Reply 4):
I would think that for the $15 it costs to go over the GWB or the Verrazano Bridge, there should be plenty of $$$ for improvements over there. I've been in airports all over the globe and LGA is by far the dreariest.

The Port Authority uses the money from the bridge and tunnel tolls to subsidize the PATH train and the Bus Terminal, both of which operate at huge losses.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

CV880

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 10):
I know I'm absolutely in the minority here, but having literally grown up at LGA (my mom worked for EA there during the 70s and occasionally took me to work with her in the afternoons) I have a fondness for the small, quirky nature of the CTB. Yeah, it's not state of the art or anywhere near it - but I still like it and will mourn its loss once redeveloped.

I worked @ DL in the CTB, just across the ramp from EA. At least EA had jetways. DL had outside boarding on DC10s/L10s. It was horrible. Never been back since I left in '77.

varsity

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:10 am

I think it was posted elsewhere, the CTB is coming down (in stages) and replaced. Project is supposed to be fast-tracked by the state. Two days later the PA put its master plan out which said they're doing it with a "public/private partnership"

Cuomo: I'm Taking Over Construction Responsibility for JFK and LaGuardia Airports
WNYC
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

USAirALB

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:19 am

I feel like no one wants to say this, but I'm sure it is on the minds of many.

I feel like the only way to truly improve air travel in NYC is to replace JFK and LGA with an entirely new airport outside the city limits, connected to the city via transit. That is the only way IMHO that NYC can see a world class facility.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

PGNCS

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 am

Quoting QantasAussie (Reply 4):
This is probably the first time I've agreed with Joe Biden. LGA is a disaster. I avoid it wherever possible.

Ditto. Not that I believe it's the place of the federal government to spend tax dollars to fix every piece of "infrastructure" he considers important, but on the specific issue of LGA being wretched, he's correct. I don't know why he didn't throw JFK under the bus while he was at it too.

Yeah, it's not state of the art or anywhere near it

Yes. If you actually work there it gets old fast. Really fast.

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 11):
To be honest, I haven't seen too many really striking or nice American terminals. I don't mean to offend anyone, here, though

No offense taken. I honestly don't care if terminals win architecture awards or could be confused with malls, opera houses, or serenity gardens. I expect them to be functional, have good traffic flow for both aircaft and passengers, be clean, and to make the necessities of travel (food, bathrooms,etc.) easily accessible. LGA fails on all those and more esoteric standards.

SLCUT2777

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:33 am

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 17):
I don't know why he didn't throw JFK under the bus while he was at it too.

EWR is where the Port Authority of New York has poured the most $$$ into over the past 25 years, and the neglect of LGA & JFK shows.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

e38

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:20 am

Well, I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I kind of like LGA . . .

and quoting Tigerguy (Reply 5), "LGA is probably the only airport that I've had no desire to just walk about and look around."

Tigerguy, you should give it a try. What other airport can you go to and watch all the aircraft activity around the concourses even if you don't have a ticket or boarding pass (i.e., pre-security)? There are two great viewing areas between Concourses A and B and between Concourses C and D, where you also have a great view of Runway 13/31, and if you take the escalator down to the food court between Concourses B and C, you can almost reach out and touch the aircraft that park at Gates B-1, B-3, C-2, and C-4. Granted, not a lot of variety, but some terrific areas to watch airplanes.

e38

Mir

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:33 am

There are parts of it that I will miss. Specifically, the parts before security. But the concourses are a disaster.

However, it should be pointed out that even compared to the rest of the US and not just other NYC airports, the USAirways terminal is a good facility.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

roseflyer

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:56 am

There are some nice terminals in the United States. DEN, DTW, SFO, have some nice terminals. There are some nice concourses out there sporadically but most countries have superior airports. US infrastructure is very dated. Asia is home to the most beautiful terminalsbut many are new airports not stuck with 1950s era layouts.

LGA is one of the worst in every way. Other than being close to manhattan there are few things to make it a decent airport. Unfortunately any time an airport starts to do infrastructure work. Airlines campaign against it because they don't want higher landing fees. I think UA and AA advocated for years not to upgrade the runway configuration at ORD to keep landing fees down and smother the competition. In the third world, you don't always have such pressures against infrastructure improvement and everyone screaming about wanting lower fees and taxes.

[Edited 2014-02-06 18:00:58]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

seabosdca

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:03 am

Quoting e38 (Reply 19):
What other airport can you go to and watch all the aircraft activity around the concourses even if you don't have a ticket or boarding pass (i.e., pre-security)?

DCA. And it's not even a dump.

rwy04lga

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:35 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
the USAirways terminal is a good facility.

You mean the one with the big DELTA sign on the outside as well? Or the one where Delta has 15 gates while US Airways has only 4 gates? Or the one where US Airways will be vacating soon?

It's not the US Airways terminal anymore. The past is not the present.

But, I do agree it's a good terminal. There's more to LGA than TCB/terminal B.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

747megatop

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:36 am

Quoting stackhouse007 (Reply 7):
He could have listed many more airports than LGA that are rather embarrassing to our country.

LAX

FoxBravo

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:00 am

Quoting e38 (Reply 19):
Well, I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I kind of like LGA

I'm with you. It's small, easy to navigate, and very convenient to much of Manhattan. And while it's had its ups and downs, most of the terminals/concourses are really not that bad these days. Some of them, like Delta's, are very pleasant. Unlike many of the critics on here, I actually live in NY, and given the choice, I always prefer to fly in and out of LGA.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Boeing717200

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:02 am

Quoting bioyuki (Thread starter):

In context of America's declining infrastructure, US Vice President Joe Biden said:

"If I took you and blindfolded you and took you to LaGuardia Airport in New York, you'd think, ‘I must be in some third-world country,’" Biden said. When his statement drew laughter from the crowd, Biden quickly noted, "I'm not joking."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/6/538...untry

At the same time he just loves Amtrak.

The place is getting rebuilt in coming years. He should give it a rest.

[Edited 2014-02-06 19:04:25]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

kubus

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:07 am

After Delta poured some money into Terminal C and D, connected them with walkway, slapped IPad's everywhere and monopolized all the drink and eateries... it actually looks good. Terminal C is also getting a revamp with security gates on the US side. Given that it is actually cheaper to get a drink on board than in the IPad bar, but it is visually pleasing.
I have never been in the A or B Terminal, but from the outside, they do look like absolute disaster. Oh and US gates across from Delta gates, world of difference as well. It was funny how quickly those LCD's replaced the old tube monitors.
One more thing, I actually pushed off the gate 3min early, 4th in line for rwy 4 take off, and 30min early into PIT today. 4th miracle since start of this year.

9w748capt

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:08 am

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 24):
LAX

Agreed. For all the chest-thumping they do, the coastal int'l gateways sure have a long way to go. Would MUCH rather connect through ORD or DFW rather than anywhere else.

jfklganyc

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:10 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 18):
EWR is where the Port Authority of New York has poured the most $$$ into over the past 25 years, and the neglect of LGA & JFK shows.

I dont know what airport you have been at in Newark, but that place is a dump. Difference is, it is a 1970s dump. LGA CTB is a 1960s dump.

JFK, aside from T2 is the best in the region (which isn't saying much)

300CAP

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:36 am

Well, look who is talking.

tu154

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:38 am

[quote=747megatop,reply=24]He could have listed many more airports than LGA that are rather embarrassing to our country.[/quote

MIA = Major third world nightmare....
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

jfklganyc

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:40 am

Quoting tu154 (Reply 31):

MIA = Major third world nightmare....

It has gotten better. And it was never as bad as LGA CTB except for that wing where DL operated in the 90s. That was really unbelievable. Complete with streaming water and all!

gulfstream650

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:46 am

MIA
I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe

windowflyer

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:52 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 16):
I feel like the only way to truly improve air travel in NYC is to replace JFK and LGA with an entirely new airport outside the city limits, connected to the city via transit. That is the only way IMHO that NYC can see a world class facility.

While I agree all the connections of LGA & JFK in one mega airport will be a dream come true. It will never happen.
First of all, there is no place to put it. "Outside city limits" takes on a whole new meaning when referring to NY, with fully populated land stretching 40+ miles out in every direction. As for connecting to the city via transit, JFK which is 10 miles from NYC has no direct access. I don't see an airport 40+ miles away having any.
I imagine your next suggestion might be to build it off shore, like Kansai. How cool would that be? Unfortunately, hate to say it but, not gonna happen. If you think KIX was expensive to build by the time New York politicians and the construction unions get involved, I'm sure the Indians could build an airport on Mars for less.
I do think JFK has the potential to be a world class airport. Its infrastructure has been steadily improving over the past 20 years.
but for now, I'm afraid we're stuck with what we have for the foreseeable future.
A-300,319,320,321,330,340,380. B-727,737,747,757,767,777,787. L-1011,DC8,DC9,MD80,CRJ,Dash-8,YS-11,HS-748,Concorde

Pyrex

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:58 am

"If I took you and blindfolded you and took you to LaGuardia Airport in New York, you'd think, ‘I must be in some third-world country,’"

I think the words "LaGuardia Airport in" in that sentence are not necessary.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 6):
It's a horrible facility, horribly kept, and it gives travelers through it a horrible experience.

But to be fair, it is a pretty good example of what to expect in NYC as a whole, so in that sense it is a good reflection of the city it is supposed to be a gateway into.

Quoting PROSA (Reply 13):
The Port Authority uses the money from the bridge and tunnel tolls to subsidize the PATH train and the Bus Terminal, both of which operate at huge losses.

Now speaking of Third World... the PATH actually works decently (except on weekends, where the reduced service is a pain - I guess they can't afford to pay their union workers to do weekend shifts) but the Port Authority bus station would be an embarrassment in any city in the world (same with Penn Station). The fact that, in a city like New York, the majority of bus companies have to pick their passengers curbside in the middle of some street because of lack of room at the PA is frankly ridiculous. If you do end up on a bus that departs from the PA bus terminal, you are basically on your own to figure out what gate it is supposed to be departing from, as there is no information whatsoever on departure gates and the employees around are completely useless.

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 18):

One more reason to break up the PANYNJ monopoly and force them to divest of at least one of the airports. I guess the DOJ prefers to spend their trust-busting time going after Apple because of the way they price e-books, though.

Quoting Mir (Reply 20):
However, it should be pointed out that even compared to the rest of the US and not just other NYC airports, the USAirways terminal is a good facility.

The Marine Air Terminal is actually not that bad if you are on the Shuttle - very simple and convenient to get in and out of. The only problem (and it is a major one) is that getting in and out of it might be simple but then you spend an hour stuck in traffic trying to get back into the city because there is are no mass transit options at the airport that is supposed to be the most convenient one.

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 28):
Would MUCH rather connect through ORD or DFW rather than anywhere else.

Never connected through DFW (only done O&D there) but ORD is actually not that nice for international connections. Flew through there coming from Kansas City onto a flight to London last year and had to leave my terminal and go through security again. Now ATL, as boring as it is, is actually quite convenient and easy to get around once you get the hang of it.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

wjcandee

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:08 am

Here's a clue. LGA is very New York. Tight space. A little gritty. Not so friendly but reasonably efficient. A place where people who know where to go push past people who don't, and people who know what to do push past people who don't. Or at least berate them. It works. It works fine. The DL terminal is decent and a little spruced-up recently. And the USAir (nee Trump) terminal is nice enough. The Central Terminal has never been anything I have complained about. It's cramped-ish, but you also don't have to walk very far for anything. It isn't luxurious, but it's fine. New Yorkers don't want palaces; they want efficiency. We don't need a monument to The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. We need to get where we're going.

As far as a gateway to the City, it's perfect. You get off the plane, walk down a short hallway, and you're in baggage claim and/or outside already. On your way, livery car drivers will pester you, "Need a cab, Buddy?" You learn after a bad experience or two to ignore them and go to the huge cab line, which moves amazingly-quickly due to the rude cab dispatchers hassling the mostly-immigrant cab drivers. It's quick, garrulous, pointed and effective. Not pretty. It's a perfect introduction to the City.

The fact of the matter is that if one wants a palace, one can go fly jetBlue or AA out at JFK. Funny that most people are happier going to LGA when they can. Not surprising that B6 and AA also want to be at that airport in a big way.

My guess: passenger complaints are made by people from Kansas. The rest of us New Yorkers are too busy to notice.

If Blowhard Joe wants to be pampered, he's in the wrong city. He should concentrate on fixing the big mess he helped cause, and not worry so much about our begrudged-but-beloved little airport.

Natflyer

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:16 am

Seen the cargo areas and buildings at JFK? Talking about the "third world" would be flattering.

corinthians

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:22 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 13):

I can't see how that money subsidizes the bus terminal since there haven't been any improvements. That facility, with all the bums, is truly 3rd world.

I would hazard a guess the bridge and tunnel tolls pay Port rent-a-cops. Those clowns make a fortune.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 26):
At the same time he just loves Amtrak.

No surprise why he didn't include Penn Station to the list of 3rd world facilities. That place is a hell hole.

I would have to agree with him as well. He could have listed many more airports than LGA that are rather embarrassing to our country.

Most airports in this country are pretty bad. I would also include PHL as one of the worst.

Quoting windowflyer (Reply 34):
I do think JFK has the potential to be a world class airport. Its infrastructure has been steadily improving over the past 20 years.

Facilities have improved a lot, but they need to get another runway or find a way to use all four more efficiently.

wjcandee

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:25 am

I say this respectfully: spoken like someone who isn't from here. It's the kind of thing that urban planners envision..."WORLD CLASS"!!! Wow!!! And then they do it and then everybody hates it. Because it wastes their time. There's noplace in the world where people are more likely to kill you for wasting their time than New York City. Maybe, just maybe, the people of Denver love their World Class DIA better than they did close-in, convenient Stapleton, because they are patient people. Or maybe it's just that most of the folks going through DIA aren't actually going to Denver and don't notice. But I, a New Yorker, still get pissed every time I take a business trip to Denver and have to drive all the way in from DIA instead of just scooting in from and out to Stapleton.

Fact is NOBODY in NYC would want a remote airport. We already have one. It's called Newark. I avoid it like the plague, and not only because I despise the exhaust-filled, brain-dead Newark and Elizabeth cabs that you have to use to get from the airport. In contrast, LGA is 20 minutes from my Manhattan apartment. It is 35 minutes from our place on Long Island. It's convenient as hell. Which is why it's so congested.

Moreover, the airport pulls from all sorts of places that are not Manhattan. When people say, "Oh, they should just have light rail to the City", they ignore the zillions of people who come through LaGuardia that could give a crap about Manhattan. That's why the parking lots are full and the airport offers rental cars. You think people from Manhattan are DRIVING to LGA and PARKING?! You think people from Manhattan are RENTING CARS?! No. They most assuredly are not. People from or going to Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, and to a much lesser extent Brooklyn and Queens are. And Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens are...uh...also "in the city". LGA probably has the highest raw volume of traffic of anywhere that comes as kiss-and-ride or by cab. And yet it still has a lot of travellers who arrive by car or rental from all over. So an airport-to-central-business-district rail thingy ain't gonna work because it won't make that much of a difference. Moreover, there are already very-convenient, frequent shuttle busses to Midtown and downtown, with van connections to hotels, at a reasonable price. They offer a good service at a low price, but they aren't that popular. WHY? Because New Yorkers place a premium on time. I'm not going to ride a freakin' bus to 42nd Street and then take the 6 train to my apt when I can take a 20-minute, $30 cab. Put me on a train? Makes no difference...bus/train whatever.

There are much more important infrastructure projects in New York right now than a new airport. Like finishing the freakin' connection between the LIRR and Grand Central, which would instantly boost property values on Long Island. Or finishing the half-assed mini-Second-Avenue subway, which would save millions of commuter-minutes a day. Are the politicians being put under the gun and made to finish these things on time? Nope. Instead, they've delayed them yet again.

[Edited 2014-02-06 21:32:57]

tyler81190

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:26 am

I feel like no one wants to say this, but I'm sure it is on the minds of many.

That would fix many problems... but it's too expensive, and nobody would want to schlep all the way out there to catch a flight.

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 28):
Agreed. For all the chest-thumping they do, the coastal int'l gateways sure have a long way to go. Would MUCH rather connect through ORD or DFW rather than anywhere else.

Yeah, but in reality, if you compare U.S. gateways with the gateways all over the world, it's really sad. The U.S. airport system really is third world. (yes I know there are some nice airports out there but the majority have major issues)

Quoting windowflyer (Reply 34):
While I agree all the connections of LGA & JFK in one mega airport will be a dream come true. It will never happen.
First of all, there is no place to put it. "Outside city limits" takes on a whole new meaning when referring to NY, with fully populated land stretching 40+ miles out in every direction. As for connecting to the city via transit, JFK which is 10 miles from NYC has no direct access. I don't see an airport 40+ miles away having any.
I imagine your next suggestion might be to build it off shore, like Kansai. How cool would that be? Unfortunately, hate to say it but, not gonna happen. If you think KIX was expensive to build by the time New York politicians and the construction unions get involved, I'm sure the Indians could build an airport on Mars for less.
but for now, I'm afraid we're stuck with what we have for the foreseeable future.

Pretty much, a new airport combining JFK/LGA would be so expensive and would be located so far from the city it really wouldn't make sense to replace LGA. (distance wise that is)

Now, I really think our major international gateways should be adjusted. NYC is one, ORD, LAX, IAH, SFO, ATL, CLT (maybe), MIA, and to an extent HNL. At least one or two of those very busy hubs should be converted to allow international to international connections without customs. Almost every other airport in the civilized world has a system like this, and even in Canada it seems to work well. I have transited through AMS many times and it is always a breeze. In reality, it wouldn't take a whole lot to section off ***some*** existing terminal structures to allow this, as ATL terminal F would work. LAX TBIT might work, SFO International G, IAH terminals D/part of E, ORD Terminal 5 etc... It could really drive connecting growth for passengers who need to get somewhere but can't transit the U.S. due to a visa issue.

Boeing778X

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:26 am

American politicians doing what politicians do best, I guess   

However, I don't deny the fact that the NYC area is becoming Whackyville.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

EWRkid1990

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:28 am

The Delta/US terminal at LGA is actually pretty great. the last flight I had was the weekend before thanksgiving, departing around 6 PM, and there was zero wait for security at the eastern C checkpoint. the terminal WAS busy, though. With US shuttle flights departing every 30 minutes to DC or Boston, plus the multitude of DL mainline and connection flights to every corner of the eastern and midwest states. It was actually pretty pleasant. The terminals were large enough so as to not feel cramped, its modern and clean. Should be the model for the new CTB. I agree with wjcandee, people who complain are from bumblef*ck regional airport in east nowhere. New Yorkers/Jerseyians need to get where they're going in the quickest way possible. We don't care about being pampered.

-EWRkid1990

wjcandee

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:39 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 35):
I think the words "LaGuardia Airport in" in that sentence are not necessary.

Funny then, isn't it, that people rich and poor want to come here so badly that they put up with the taxes and hassles of living here.

Tigerguy

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:45 am

Quoting e38 (Reply 19):
Tigerguy, you should give it a try.

Well, I've been through there a couple of times. Not the greatest sample size, I know, but I think I'd be willing to separate the spotting experience from the everything else. With that said, LGA probably won't be in any more of my NY travel plans for the forseeable future.

And, to echo some other posts, I did have the opportunity to go through the US terminal when it was still the US terminal. Wasn't bad.
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

tyler81190

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:45 am

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 43):
Funny then, isn't it, that people rich and poor want to come here so badly that they put up with the taxes and hassles of living here.

I agree with you, but people come here because it is better than where they came from. But being just better than Somalia (with infrastructure) probably isn't the best goal to have.

burchfiel

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:47 am

Quoting DexSwart (Reply 11):
To be honest, I haven't seen too many really striking or nice American terminals.

DCA and IAD both have their 'striking' parts -- especially DCA, which does a great job of incorporating a common theme into both its main terminal building and the gates areas. IAD's main terminal is also gorgeous; the same unfortunately can't be said about the 'temporary' C and D terminals. DTW is also nice.

'Striking' gates areas are much harder to find in the US than striking check-in areas, and even DCA's gates, gorgeous as they are, are pretty limited in size. I agree that we're not really on the same level as, say, HKG or ICN when it comes to gorgeous gate areas.

Navigator

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:53 am

Agree with VP right here. Airports are one of the first gateways anybody visits would see, shouldn't it be modern with the latest technology, which shows the world how advance that country should be?

Those times when airport buildings were monuments over countries achievements are gone in the western world. Airport terminals should be modern, clean and function well. They should also be large enough to cope with traffic volumes.
747-400/747-200/L1011/DC-10/DC-9/DC-8/MD-80/MD90/A340/A330/A300/A310/A321/A320/A319/767/757/737/727/HS-121/CV990/CV440/S

tyler81190

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:07 am

Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 46):
DCA and IAD both have their 'striking' parts -- especially DCA, which does a great job of incorporating a common theme into both its main terminal building and the gates areas. IAD's main terminal is also gorgeous; the same unfortunately can't be said about the 'temporary' C and D terminals. DTW is also nice.

'Striking' gates areas are much harder to find in the US than striking check-in areas, and even DCA's gates, gorgeous as they are, are pretty limited in size. I agree that we're not really on the same level as, say, HKG or ICN when it comes to gorgeous gate areas.

the DL terminal in DTW is beautiful!! One of the better looking terminals around. IAD has a wonderful main terminal, but the C/D concourses are horrendous, I really hope they replace that whole deal soon. DCA has some nice areas, but like you said, many airports have a "striking" check-in area but few have nice gate areas.

USAirALB

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:58 am

I think it is a common misconception on the world stage that airports in the US are in a decrepit state and falling apart. However, we do have some very nice terminals in the US, ones that I would say could easily rival any of those outside the US. DEN, DTW's McNamera Terminal, FLL Terminal 1, PHL's A-West, CLT's D and E concourses all come to mind.

Again, I am going to reiterate what another poster above said. I don't need an airport to be a shopping mall, have a swimming pool, etc. I want it to be clean, comfortable, and make traveling through it a breeze.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos