shaq
Topic Author

United To Enable Entertainment On Personal Devices

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:11 am

So now, on wifi enabled aircraft, such as Y on 747-400, A319, A320. You will have free content on demand, and wireless on your smartphone, tablets or laptops.
More here: https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/company-operations/pages/watch-united-inflight-movies-and-tv-on-personal-device.aspx
Kudos for United for this initiative. If you want internet, you pay, but also have the option of free content.
Studying hard, for flying right!

TWA772LR

RE: United To Enable Entertainment On Personal Devices

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:21 am

Looks like I need to start flying more often! When does this service start?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

1337Delta764

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:24 am

While this may be a good idea for some, UA is making a horrible mistake by not adding AVOD to their domestic fleet and forcing everyone to bring their own devices. DL on the other hand is making the right decision by giving customers the choice of either. Just watch DL kick UA's butt in terms of in-flight product and profits.

[Edited 2014-02-09 18:25:17]
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

shaq
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:25 am

On April. Most of the A320, A319, and 747 already have wifi so, they just have to upload the content I guess.
739 delivered since 2013 will have wifi and streaming content, but not direcTV
Studying hard, for flying right!

usflyguy

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:28 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 2):
forcing everyone to bring their own devices

the vast majority of people bring their own devices and if they don't, they're also the same passengers that don't have the money to pay for the extras during the flight.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:51 am

While this may be a good idea for some, UA is making a horrible mistake by not adding AVOD to their domestic fleet and forcing everyone to bring their own devices. DL on the other hand is making the right decision by giving customers the choice of either. Just watch DL kick UA's butt in terms of in-flight product and profits.

As we all know WN became the largest and most profitable US carrier because of its exquisite AVOD  DL is doing a lot of things right, but there is zero connection between IFE and profitability.
E pur si muove -Galileo

nwcoflyer

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:54 am

Sometimes I think you are joking with how much you are obsessed with DL IFE. DL is a great airline for many reasons. IFE is not one of them. Kudos to UA for giving customer choice. Streaming IFE is a great product and is highly customizable. AA will likely be going down the same route with PM US aircraft that do not have IFE.

[Edited 2014-02-09 18:55:30]

1337Delta764

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:54 am

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 4):
the vast majority of people bring their own devices and if they don't,

Not true at all. On 100% of all AVOD flights I have been on DL, those using the IFE system outnumber those using their own devices about 10:1. Fact is, DL is in the right and UA is in the wrong. Clearly UA did not do a fair evaluation of all IFE options unlike DL.

[Edited 2014-02-09 19:03:18]

mtnwest1979

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:00 am

I for one am glad that dish and WN have the freeTV (thru own device) extended until end of year IIRC. Flew SEA- SMF last week and enjoyed watching NYC news @ 1:00pm. I love seeing local news from other places.

Nice to see UA do this. Nice to see additional options when travelling.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

nwcoflyer

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:02 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 7):
Not true at all. On 100% of all AVOD flights I have been on DL, those using the IFE system outnumber those using their own devices about 10:1. Fact is, DL is in the right and UA is in the wrong.

There is no right or wrong. It is a business decision-- and I highly doubt that it will contribute negatively to UA's bottom line. What it will surely do is save hundreds of millions of dollars in CapEx spending that will help the bottom line.

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 4):
the vast majority of people bring their own devices and if they don't, they're also the same passengers that don't have the money to pay for the extras during the flight.

Correct. I flew on a PMCO bird a few days ago and had no desire to pay for the IFE. What would have been nice would have been some wifi. Oh well, in any event I survived the 4 hour flight. Heavens!

1337Delta764

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:07 am

Quoting nwcoflyer (Reply 9):
There is no right or wrong. It is a business decision-- and I highly doubt that it will contribute negatively to UA's bottom line. What it will surely do is save hundreds of millions of dollars in CapEx spending that will help the bottom line.

You are missing the point. DL did a fair evaluation by weighing all IFE options, which UA has clearly failed to do by ignoring what most passengers prefer. UA is obviously going with a least common denominator approach to in-flight product, while DL is going with the results of their scientific studies.

[Edited 2014-02-09 19:08:46]

nwcoflyer

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:14 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 10):
You are missing the point. DL did a fair evaluation of all IFE options, which UA has clearly failed to do by ignoring what most passengers prefer. UA is obviously going with a least common denominator approach to in-flight product, while DL is going with the results of their scientific studies.

Is it not possible to have two (reputable) studies, and two different conclusions???

Customers want many things, but it does not always translate to more revenue if they aren't willing to pay. An airline that operates with superior reliability, friendly employees, clean airplanes, and a convenient schedule as well as a good FF program is the airline that brings in revenue premiums and customer loyalty. IFE, while nice, is not so important. UA has a lot of work to do, starting with superior reliability. That will get them a lot further than someone being able to watch Family Guy or MSNBC on a flight.

[Edited 2014-02-09 19:17:52]

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:16 am

DL did a fair evaluation by weighing all IFE options, which UA has clearly failed to do by ignoring what most passengers prefer. UA is obviously going with a least common denominator approach to in-flight product, while DL is going with the results of their scientific studies.

...which explains UA's RASM premium over DL...oh wait...
E pur si muove -Galileo

Beardown91737

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:19 am

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 8):

I for one am glad that dish and WN have the freeTV (thru own device) extended until end of year IIRC.

Me too except that it doesn't work on Android. On the next flight I brought a laptop, but got bored with the selection.

My favorite IFE is still Ch 9 and a window seat, but a flight path map is nice. That is one of the available free things on WN's Free wifi.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

nwcoflyer

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:21 am

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 13):
My favorite IFE is still Ch 9 and a window seat, but a flight path map is nice. That is one of the available free things on WN's Free wifi.

Your not kidding. I flew DEN-SAN a couple weeks ago on a old UA 752 and was like a kid in a candy store listening to channel 9. Its a more rare thing these days with it beings switched off quite a bit. When its on, I cant think of a better inflight experience. Of course, I realize I'm in the minority- most customers don't care about that stuff.

TWA772LR

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:35 am

Any idea when UA's streaming will be available to Android products?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

QantasAussie

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:46 am

As a global carrier, UA is certainly lagging in the IFE department. That being said, it's a good and positive step forward. Being however, that a big chunk of their domestic routes are flown on 737's which for the most part does not have wifi, this addition still doesn't help.
The majority of the ewr-lax/sfo flights are with 738/739 and even though many of them are equipped with DirecTV, it would still be nice to be able to connect to the internet (or whatsapp   ) for a 5+ hr flight. These aircraft also do not have "channel 9" which if someone would be able to explain why not, would be greatly appreciated.

United1

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:11 am

Quoting QantasAussie (Reply 16):
As a global carrier, UA is certainly lagging in the IFE department. That being said, it's a good and positive step forward. Being however, that a big chunk of their domestic routes are flown on 737's which for the most part does not have wifi, this addition still doesn't help.
The majority of the ewr-lax/sfo flights are with 738/739 and even though many of them are equipped with DirecTV, it would still be nice to be able to connect to the internet (or whatsapp   ) for a 5+ hr flight. These aircraft also do not have "channel 9" which if someone would be able to explain why not, would be greatly appreciated.

The 737s with DirectTV will be getting WiFi but it's a different system through DirecTV...I think there is one plane with it installed already and they are using that aircraft for certification and to work the bugs out. In terms of channel 9 that system was never set up to work with DirectTV and probably never will be. UA doesn't own the equipment or really have much to do with engineering the DirectTV systems....Its been rumored that UA is not happy with DirectTV and is simply waiting for the contract to end before removing the equipment and installing United WiFi and Streaming Video.

Any 737 delivered after January 1st 2013 will not have DirectTV installed and will be set up for United WiFi and Streaming Video.

You are missing the point. DL did a fair evaluation by weighing all IFE options, which UA has clearly failed to do by ignoring what most passengers prefer. UA is obviously going with a least common denominator approach to in-flight product, while DL is going with the results of their scientific studies.

UA is going for a product that they are able to offer to their passengers for free....DL charges their passengers to access the vast majority of their AVOD content on domestic flights.....

Ask any passenger which they would prefer....$6 a movie on DL ~ or ~ 150 movies and 200 TV shows for free (same content as on UAs AVOD system on Intercontinental aircraft) on UA as long as you bring your own device.

I choose free....
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:41 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 17):
UA is going for a product that they are able to offer to their passengers for free....DL charges their passengers to access the vast majority of their AVOD content on domestic flights.....

Is it really free? That's surprising. Plus UA can upgrade the technology easily and doesn't have to bother with tens of thousands of inseat devices that weigh a lot and break constantly.
E pur si muove -Galileo

1337Delta764

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:43 am

Ask any passenger which they would prefer....$6 a movie on DL ~ or ~ 150 movies and 200 TV shows for free (same content as on UAs AVOD system on Intercontinental aircraft) on UA as long as you bring your own device.

Yet DL offers both, and doesn't charge for the streaming video either. Yet I still see more people using the in-seat IFE than those using the streaming video. Plus, the live satellite TV portion of the in-seat IFE is free. It is clearly obvious that passengers prefer not to have a laptop or tablet taking up their personal space just for entertainment.

[Edited 2014-02-09 20:45:48]

hoons90

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:44 am

Awesome idea! I'd rather watch movies on my Retina screen iPad than some crappy low resolution seat back monitor. Even if there's no USB outlets, my iPad can play 10 hours of video on one charge, or up to 6 movies.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

hOMSaR

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:04 am

I thought this thread was about United, not Delta.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

United1

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:06 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 18):

Is it really free? That's surprising. Plus UA can upgrade the technology easily and doesn't have to bother with tens of thousands of inseat devices that weigh a lot and break constantly.

.....it's free to access any of the streaming video content.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 19):

Yet DL offers both, and doesn't charge for the streaming video either

AFAIK DLs provider of streaming video is "GoGo Vision" and I assure you that GoGo charges for that service. There is very little IFE on domestic flights on DL that is free....

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 20):
Even if there's no USB outlets, my iPad can play 10 hours of video on one charge, or up to 6 movies.

Power Ports are coming to all aircraft in Y....

[Edited 2014-02-09 21:09:34]
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

etops1

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:13 am

Wait till you find out that AA may be doing the same as UA. Then your really gonna raise those Pom , Pom 's up for Delta ! Lol! SMDH ... Delta can never do no wrong in some people's eyes I guess..

United1

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:24 am

Quoting etops1 (Reply 23):
Wait till you find out that AA may be doing the same as UA. Then your really gonna raise those Pom , Pom 's up for Delta ! Lol! SMDH ... Delta can never do no wrong in some people's eyes I guess..

Considering how widespread tablets and smartphones are these days AVOD is really redundant with a streaming video system installed. Cheaper for the airlines, easier to update and upgrade and much easier to maintain....makes perfect since for AA to follow suit.

nwcoflyer

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:37 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 24):
Considering how widespread tablets and smartphones are these days AVOD is really redundant with a streaming video system installed. Cheaper for the airlines, easier to update and upgrade and much easier to maintain....makes perfect since for AA to follow suit.

I laughed at my CFO almost two years ago when he talked about battery life getting better and the more widespread use of tablets, ipads, computers, etc. I thought streaming IFE was a bad idea. Forward a couple years later, and it makes all the sense in the world. Why would you spend a million dollars an airplane for IFE when people already have the product in their hands...

United1

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:49 am

Quoting nwcoflyer (Reply 25):
I laughed at my CFO almost two years ago when he talked about battery life getting better and the more widespread use of tablets, ipads, computers, etc. I thought streaming IFE was a bad idea. Forward a couple years later, and it makes all the sense in the world. Why would you spend a million dollars an airplane for IFE when people already have the product in their hands...

Exactly and with power ports being installed on every UA mainline aircraft there isn't even really a concern about battery life any longer either.

UA will be retrofitting this system on the 744 fleet, 3-cabin 763s and the 9 Hawaii/Island 777s....so will be a nice addition for UAs Y class passengers that don't have access to UAs AVOD systems on those long-haul aircraft as well.

DocLightning

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:07 am

Fact is, DL is in the right and UA is in the wrong.

DL had to make this decision before streaming on-board data was really available. I am not sure DL would have AVOD if this option had been available at the time. I expect we will see DL retrofitting it.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

justloveplanes

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:47 am

I just flew on a bird withe streaming option.

IAH to HNL, 8 hours 30 minutes.

Looks like a refurbished domestic bird.

New seats, but NO POWER for laptops. So if your laptop doesn't have an 8 hour battery, or you don't have a personal device, you have NO IFE.

Doesn't work on the most popular personal platform OS, Android, yet. This shows that this WASN"T a well researched option.

On the plus side, it worked pretty good. Only that during annoucements, the full screen view on my laptop had to be manually restored as the announcements stopped your current view and needed a manual restart.

FA's were frustrated with the plane, for all the complaints I just registered above. They said I was preaching to the choir when I brought the points up. Said they have 40 seats in first and a not-insignificant portion have no IFE for 8 and a 1/2 hours.

They should at least have one big screen like the old days for something to watch. They'll need to adjust somehow, this is good, but not enough

boilerla

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:23 am

That's your opinion. I was just on a 6 hour UA flight where not a single person in E+ had purchased DirecTV that I could tell--almost all the screens turned off, on a Sunday evening during the Olympics. The number of iPads, iPhones, Android phones and Kindles that were out was FAR FAR greater.

Not true at all. On 100% of all AVOD flights I have been on DL, those using the IFE system outnumber those using their own devices about 10:1. Fact is, DL is in the right and UA is in the wrong. Clearly UA did not do a fair evaluation of all IFE options unlike DL.

Your opinion. It's been proven that nobody pays for IFE. Ask LiveTV. It's capital intensive, low revenue and and it gets tired quickly...those tiny screens are barely passable for TV now; what do you think they'll look like in 4 years? My phone has an HD screen, let alone my iPad. People won't use something that looks out of date when in their own pocket they have something manufactured this year.

My favorite comment, from guy behind me...two minutes after we board:
"Cool, this plane looks new. Where are the tablets honey? The kids are gonna want them."
Didn't even bother to watch the ads for DirecTV.

Quoting justloveplanes (Reply 28):

New seats, but NO POWER for laptops. So if your laptop doesn't have an 8 hour battery, or you don't have a personal device, you have NO IFE.

Power will be installed later. The WiFi installations are different from the seat installations which are also different from the IFE installation. By the end of 2015 the entire domestic fleet will have WiFi, IFE and power unless the 752s remain in the fleet longer than expected--they should be gone by end 2015.

Which I might add is something that DL is NOT claiming right now. In fact, DL will likely have mad dogs around in 2016. Trying to think what flying on those must sound like...who needs IFE when the loud purr of the engine is all you can hear?

Doesn't work on the most popular personal platform OS, Android, yet. This shows that this WASN"T a well researched option.

It does, it's just not done testing. They'll push an update when it's ready. To say this wasn't a well researched option just because it's not available yet on Android is a little ignorant, especially when it's well documented that Android support is coming (the F/As on any airline are usually not great to ask about technology...scary but true).

barney captain

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:49 am

Those AVOD screens and controllers are not only expensive, but require continuous servicing/replacement and add a significant amount of weight to the aircraft.

From every reasonable perspective, BYOD (bring your own device) is by far the better business decision for inflight entertainment.
Southeast Of Disorder

zrs70

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:55 am

There are times I like to do both... Watch entertainment and surf the net. Would be nice if both options could exist!
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

Beechtobus

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:48 am

Such an awesome idea. Thank you WN!! A fraction of weight added to aircraft compared to a/c fully wired for inseat IFE and let the user put wear and tear on their machines. Now are they removing the inseat IFE or is this just going to supplement it?

STT757

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:28 pm

A couple years ago I would agree that the PTV's would be better, however now we're at the point where even my 70 year old parents have an IPAD and Iphone. Nowadays when my wife and I go on vacation we bring the IPAD, however UA should do some heavy advertising to let folks know to bring their WIFI enabled devices. If the content is indeed free, and they hurry up and install the powerports on all aircraft in Y, then this will be a welcomed addition. As mentioned I also have a HD Ipad which has better resolution then the PTV screens, now if someone would only invent some kind of plastic bracket that will hold your IPAD on the seat back in front of you we'll be set.

Quoting nwcoflyer (Reply 11):
Customers want many things, but it does not always translate to more revenue if they aren't willing to pay.

True, case in point MRTC. First TWA and then AA.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 18):
Quoting barney captain (Reply 30):
Those AVOD screens and controllers are not only expensive, but require continuous servicing/replacement and add a significant amount of weight to the aircraft.

This is going to cut down on a lot of complaints and maintenance due to the screens or controlers in the armrest not working.

They should at least have one big screen like the old days for something to watch.

I agree, large flat screens on the bulkheads of the widebody's (domestic 777s, 744s, 3 class 763s) so atleast the can show the safety video and some commercials.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

thegivenone

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Good news and especially great for those longhaul trips on the UA 744.

Out of interest, how many of the WIFI equipped birds (if any) have power sockets or USB ports available at the seats?

Eljonno

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 33):
now if someone would only invent some kind of plastic bracket that will hold your IPAD on the seat back in front of you we'll be set.
QF are one step ahead of you there!! Their domestic 763s all come with an iPad and Q streaming in Y and J. There's a strip of material attached to the seat back which can be used to hold the iPad in place by hooking the case over it.

There are a few problems though...

1) iPads can only be used for Q Streaming (so no web browsing or Angry Birds etc).

2) Choice of programming is shockingly limited. AVOD on the 738s offers a far superior selection.

3) Q streaming is delivered to the iPad via Safari, however it cannot be maximised, so the display is crowded by a browser bar etc.

4) If you close the tab that Q streaming is open in, there is no way of re-navigating back to it, without putting your hand up and admitting to the cabin crew that you messed it up!

5) Q streaming is on iPad 2 - so no lovely retina display.

6) I'm not sure how long they've had this system for, but the cases are already looking disgustingly warn and used.

To summarise: in all honestly, I would much prefer to use my beautiful new Macbook with retina display for in flight entertainment, or failing that, be on a 738 with AVOD to while away the hours.

And whilst I'm ranting about things they got wrong on my recent trip back to ADL from Brissy...WTF!?!? Only offering a pathetic cheese board and one choice of wine in J? I'm not enjoying this, new leaner product QANTAS. Not one bit.

[Edited 2014-02-10 05:45:23]

christao17

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:55 pm

On 100% of all AVOD flights I have been on DL, those using the IFE system outnumber those using their own devices about 10:1. Fact is, DL is in the right and UA is in the wrong. Clearly UA did not do a fair evaluation of all IFE options unlike DL.

Pretty sure that your observations wouldn't qualify as a representative sample, plus they indicate passenger behavior as it is, not necessarily how it is trending.

Second, your "fact" isn't a fact, it is an opinion. There is a difference.

"Clearly" - I'd suspect that airlines making as big a decision as this are actually doing a full and fair evaluation of the options. They are drawing different conclusions, but there's nothing "clear" to indicate that just because you disagree with their decision, that UA management didn't evaluate all the options.

Quoting barney captain (Reply 30):

From every reasonable perspective, BYOD (bring your own device) is by far the better business decision for inflight entertainment.

Exactly! Two years ago, the decision wouldn't have made any sense. But now, by the time their fleet is fully equipped, the concept of BYOD will be routine for passengers.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

DL747400

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 1):
Just watch DL kick UA's butt in terms of in-flight product and profits.

Could not agree more. It's already happening.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 5):
As we all know WN became the largest and most profitable US carrier because of its exquisite AVOD

Sorry Dude, but you are dead wrong. Please check your facts. On an annual basis, DL is the most profitable airline in the US, in the world, in the history of the airline business, having just released calendar year 2013 results that far exceeded anything ever produced in a single year by any one carrier. Southwest may be the most consistently profitable, but on an annual basis, DL leads the pack by far.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 5):
DL is doing a lot of things right, but there is zero connection between IFE and profitability.

There are many global elite travelers who would disagree with you, but I will forgive you on that front since WN doesn't have any of those.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

jayunited

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Talk about drinking the cool aide. I understand that you are a proud DL employee and and you should be proud of what DL has accomplished and you right DL is kicking UA's butt in terms of profit but DL profit has nothing to do with IFE. People don't choose an airline based upon whether the aircraft has in seat AVOD or not. DL has plenty of aircraft without AVOD and on some DL aircraft the in flight product or IFE is the same as the IFE on UA (over head screens) so clearly DL profits margins have nothing to do with IFE. IT has more to do with the employees and the way the airline is managed and ran.

That being said no one is disputing the fact that not every single passenger on board a UA flight has a tablet, e-reader, notebook, laptop or even a smart phone. However the data does show that the number of American's with smartphones continues to grow every year and WiFi enabled devises continue to grow in popularity every year as more and more American's buy these products. So in my opinion UA is probably jumping the gun on this issue but in a few years time almost every single American will have some type of WiFi enabled devise and will travel with that WiFi enable devise. So while UA might be jumping the gun a bit ultimately I think it is a good decision. Installing PTV's in every seat on a domestic aircraft my help make the aircraft look more modern but in the end UA is offering the same content as DL the only difference is UA is saving a lot of weight in the process but not having all of that heavy equipment on board.

I really don't think there is a right or a wrong here when it comes to this issue because both airlines are offering IFE and AVOD to their customers and if free (except if you want to connect to the internet on UA you still have to pay) but the IFE is free and soon WiFi will be coming to the 737 fleet as well

FlyPNS1

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Quoting DL747400 (Reply 37):
Could not agree more. It's already happening.

But DL's profits relative to UA are almost purely driven by costs. If DL had UA's costs, DL's profitability would be similar (if not slightly worse) than UA.

With that said, I do think DL's approach will work better in the near term. The streaming technology still isn't quite mature enough and the lack of powerports will be problematic. However, longer term I think UA's approach will win out. 5-7 years from now, DL will be ripping AVOD out of the domestic birds.

ua900

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 38):
I really don't think there is a right or a wrong here when it comes to this issue because both airlines are offering IFE and AVOD to their customers and if free (except if you want to connect to the internet on UA you still have to pay) but the IFE is free and soon WiFi will be coming to the 737 fleet as well
DL has some better offerings in Wifi and AVOD at present IMO because they have Wifi even in regional jets and doesn't charge for watching TV. The opportunity for UA here is to offer streaming contents for free and stop charging $5.99 for TV on the PMCO planes. PMUA planes already offer free AVOD but there's the ecclectic mix of overhead, personal screens and bupkes in economy. I have heard UA talk about installing power in Y since 2006 and am glad that's finally happening. IMO UA would also be well advised to consider offering free drinks in their PS economy as DL does. A lot of DL's improved reputation hinges on these types of improvements.

[Edited 2014-02-10 07:26:02]
2020: DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

1337Delta764

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 39):
However, longer term I think UA's approach will win out. 5-7 years from now, DL will be ripping AVOD out of the domestic birds.

Will not happen. DL has announced to install AVOD on the A319s, the rest of the 738s, and the 757s that it is keeping. Seems like a big waste for DL to install AVOD just to remove it in 5 years. Fact is, DL did a fair evaluation of all IFE options and UA did not.

[Edited 2014-02-10 07:31:39]

FlyPNS1

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:33 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 41):
Will not happen. DL has announced to install AVOD on the A319s, the rest of the 738s, and the 757s that it is keeping. Seems like a big waste for DL to install AVOD just to remove it in 5 years.

AA spent millions to install MRTC throughout it's entire fleet. Within a matter of years, they stuffed seats right back in.

DL spent millions to reconfigure 757's into Song configuration, in a matter of only 4 years they reversed the decision.

Things change fast in the industry.

apfpilot

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:36 pm

I don't see how United is taking any initiative with this. DL and AA have had Gogo Vision on a number of planes already.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 43):
(which UA failed to do)

Source?

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 41):
Fact is, DL did a fair evaluation of all IFE options and UA did not.

Source?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:43 pm

Sorry Dude, but you are dead wrong. Please check your facts. On an annual basis, DL is the most profitable airline in the US, in the world, in the history of the airline business, having just released calendar year 2013 results

DL had a phenomenal year. Now 30+ more and it will be as profitable as WN.

There are many global elite travelers who would disagree with you, but I will forgive you on that front since WN doesn't have any of those.

There are endless travelers who would disagree with me, but their actions never back up their words.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 42):
Things change fast in the industry.

Those were colossal misfires though. It's best to avoid those.

Your comparisons are false, since it costs much more to install an IFE system than to simply rearrange seats. DL did the math (which UA failed to do), and has determined that passengers should be offered the choice of either.

What revenue premium is DL getting for this AVOD?
E pur si muove -Galileo

apfpilot

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Sorry Dude, but you are dead wrong. Please check your facts. On an annual basis, DL is the most profitable airline in the US, in the world, in the history of the airline business, having just released calendar year 2013 results that far exceeded anything ever produced in a single year by any one carrier. Southwest may be the most consistently profitable, but on an annual basis, DL leads the pack by far.
Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 46):

DL had a phenomenal year. Now 30+ more and it will be as profitable as WN.

How can you guys try to compare WN and DL? They are about as different as 2 things can be while still being airlines.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 47):
How can you guys try to compare WN and DL? They are about as different as 2 things can be while still being airlines.

It's not really about a comparison. The point is that having IFE does not guarantee profit (see F9), nor does not having IFE guarantee losses (see WN).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Avi8r747

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:06 pm

The DirecTV is nice and all, but I would rather use my own lap top or iPad where I have shows and movies that I can watch at my convenience on a larger HD screen. And United is putting power ports into all the seats as well, a factor that most likely played a large role into their decision. Add WiFi so I can browse, and that becomes more entertainment than I ever thought I would have. Just because United is going a different way than your beloved Delta doesn't mean this is a corporate failure.

phileet92

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Your comparisons are false, since it costs much more to install an IFE system than to simply rearrange seats. DL did the math (which UA failed to do), and has determined that passengers should be offered the choice of either. And in Song's case, DL retained the personal IFE.

Not sure why you're taking such a hard stance on things. THE FACT IS, this industry changes quickly, and unless you're an executive at both DL and UA its difficult to say what calculations each airline did. THE FACT IS, each airline has their own strategy for growth. UA buys new planes, DL buys used ones. UA invests in fuel efficient planes, DL bought a refinery.

DL is doing very well, but it also had a 2 year head-start on a merger. We have to appreciate the fact that US airlines are able to make new investments, and are making profits!

idontusuallypost,butwhenidoimfair

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos