Boeing744
Topic Author

Europe Airpost - Paris To Halifax Via Glasgow

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 pm

I happened across the Europe Airpost website today where I found that they would be starting a route to YHZ this year, via GLA.

The flight will operate once a week for the summer

At 2286nm, the GLA-YHZ leg sounds like a pretty long flight for the 73G! The only other transatlantic 737 flight that I know of this summer is WestJet's YYT-DUB, which is only 1781nm. The route is still shorter, however, than Alaska's ANC-HNL route. Does anyone know if the winds would be problematic for this route on the westbound leg?

I thought I'd start a thread on this, given the fairly novel nature of the route and using the 73G across the atlantic! I did a search and didn't find any other threads about the route.

Here is some information from the Europe Airport website:

http://www.europeairpost.com/en/euro...vols-reguliers-transatlantiques-2/

LAXintl

RE: Europe Airpost - Paris To Halifax Via Glasgow

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Announced a bit back

Another 737-700 Transatlantic Service Next Summer (by ghYHZ Dec 19 2013 in Civil Aviation)

Talk about a niche route
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Boeing744
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Hmm I guess the search function isn't too effective then. My apologies.

fly2yyz

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Well this route has been served in the past...most recently if I recall with Z4 with the 763 and 752 between YHZ and GLA and CDG but separate services. Wish them well, I thought they were a LCC in Europe. Hope they have a tour operator backing them up on both sides of the Atlantic.

blueflyer

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Quoting Fly2yyz (Reply 3):
Hope they have a tour operator backing them up on both sides of the Atlantic.

They most likely do. They have a couple of passenger 737s, but most of the fleet is made up of QC 733s flying at night for the French Post as well as integrators (TNT and DHL have used them, might still be), and earning extra revenue with passenger flights on behalf of tour operators (mostly French) during the day.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

longhauler

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:15 pm

It is only 9 round trips. There should be enough interest to fill 9 B737s.

On the other hand, great paint scheme!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

deltacto

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 5):
On the other hand, great paint scheme!

Yes - awesome livery!

http://www.europeairpost.com/wp-cont...ost-B737-700-F-GZTC-05-695x463.jpg

http://www.europeairpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Europe-Airpost-B737-700-F-GZTC-05-695x463.jpg

Interesting that it is a day time flight both ways

http://www.europeairpost.com/en/euro...vols-reguliers-transatlantiques-2/

Paris, December 13, 2013 – Europe Airpost announces the launch of a series of scheduled flights departing from Paris-Charles-de-Gaulle to Glasgow and Halifax Stanfield International Airport during the 2014 summer season.

Every week between 4 July and 29 August, Europe Airpost will connect Paris, Glasgow and Halifax.

The schedule for the new routes is as follows:

Thursday:

Departs from Paris-CDG 1:00 p.m. – Arrives in Glasgow 1:40 p.m.
Departs from Glasgow 2:30 p.m. – Arrives in Halifax 5:00 p.m.

Friday:

Departs from Halifax 10:00 a.m. – Arrives in Glasgow 8:00 p.m.
Departs from Glasgow 8:50 p.m. – Arrives in Paris-CDG 11:30 p.m.

[Edited 2014-02-13 09:25:32]

blueflyer

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:23 pm

Quoting deltacto (Reply 6):
Interesting that it is a day time flight both ways

Since it is only once a week, it is probably cheaper to let the crew RON at destination with the plane rather than position a second crew on commercial flights a few days before to do a quick turn and return at night the same day.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

varig md-11

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:00 pm

I noticed this very original service

Could it be they want to serve French islands St Pierre & Miquelon during summer which is not so far from Halifax?

After having discussed with colleagues working there, their only choice to rejoin metropolitan France is to fly to YUL and then connect to AF which is expensive and awkward.

Air Saint Pierre is flying to Halifax. Probably they will feed the summer 737 flight to metropolitan France.

Europe Airpost is specialized in tailored flights: they serve the Togliattigrad Lada factory in Russia from CDG terminal 3 with a flight only for Renault carmaker engineers (Renauld-Nissan owns Russia Lada car manufacturer)
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TX PY

by738

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:38 pm

A nice little niche route. If advertised well enough (which is usually the main issue) there will be good Scottish uptake too as the previous Halifax flights from Scotland have always generated reasonable numbers. Hope it works for them and they can extend the series next year, Westjet might have been a nicer fit with their slightly better known name and big connection opportunities and codeshares.

brilondon

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 2):
Hmm I guess the search function isn't too effective then. My apologies.

It doesn't really work for me when I do a search at all.

Quoting VARIG MD-11 (Reply 8):
Could it be they want to serve French islands St Pierre & Miquelon during summer which is not so far from Halifax?

Yeah, I don't see alot of people from FSP flying to Europe or vice-versa. The airport is rather tiny and the population of 6000 really is not a big enough market to be a viable source of passengers.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

varig md-11

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:18 pm

I see your point, but still, there are some students and civil servants who must fly to metropolitan France during summer.

Anyhow, this is a niche flight, would you have believed a 737 was needed just for engineers and their families between Togliattigrad/samara airport and CDG? Me not actually....but then again the flight is a non-rev pax one as paid for by Renault
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TX PY

longhauler

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:46 pm

YYT is actually quite a but closer to FSP, and Air St Pierre also flies between YYT and FSP. So if they truly were after the France to St. Pierre and Miquelon market, they would fly into YYT instead.

It looks to me, that they were after a larger market with YHZ, and will be one of the very few carriers flying from YHZ to Europe.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

fly2yyz

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:18 am

Well infact Air St Pierre already advertised flights connecting on the AF and Corsair flights through YUL. And a quick YYR on their website shows that pax can now fly to CDG via YHZ with Europe Airpost -- though don't believe any interline exist. But correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm curious as to what they offer on board. They do have buy on board menu on their website...with this stagelength from GLA-YHZ it'd be interesting to see. Good luck to them. As stated before Z4 had decent loads on YHZ-GLA.

mjoelnir

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:39 am

After having discussed with colleagues working there, their only choice to rejoin metropolitan France is to fly to YUL and then connect to AF which is expensive and awkward.

One can also fly with Icelandair from YHZ via KEF to CDG. This winter it was only on the 10/28, 10/31 and 11/4, but in summer it is at least twice a week from the 5/22 to the 10/23.

Icelandair did the KEF-YHZ flight with B737-400 at a time, when they were still using those frames, today it is the B757-200.

cedarjet

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:49 pm

I really fancy trying this! I went to Europe Airpost's website and it offers a premium economy option but nothing on their site says what that is, different seat or just a more flexible ticket? Anyone know?

Quoting Boeing744 (Thread starter):
I did a search and didn't find any other threads about the route.

Thanks, but it doesn't need to be said, if it's a duplicate post the mods will spot it in a heartbeat.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

debonair

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Quoting Fly2yyz (Reply 13):
I'm curious as to what they offer on board.

Exact my thoughts, too!

According to their PR: The flights will be carried out with a Boeing 737-700, configured in a two-class lay-out, with a capacity of 128 seats: 24 in Premium Economy class and 104 in Economy class.

Given the fact that F-GZTC is ex easyjet and so a pure, basic B737NG (without any IFE, only small galleys etc.) it is interesting to see, how 5O will handle this "9hrs" flight!

[Edited 2014-02-15 07:56:41]

lukeyboy95

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Just as an aside, the amount of passengers travelling between Scotland and Canada is very high, and a fairly good market to tap into.

Every AirTransat flight I have taken has been choc-a-bloc full.
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

ghYHZ

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 17):
Just as an aside, the amount of passengers travelling between Scotland and Canada is very high, and a fairly good market to tap into.

Air Canada once had non-stop flights between Halifax and Prestwick. My first flight across the pond was in an L-1011.....four hours and twenty minutes from wheels-up in YHZ to wheels-down in PIK. When I presented my passport at Immigration and the officer noted my birthplace as New Glasgow, Nova Scotia (New Scotland) there was a smile and almost a “Welcome Home”....... Yes......lots of family and cultural ties!

by738

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:46 pm

Quoting ghYHZ (Reply 18):
..four hours and twenty minutes from wheels-up in YHZ to wheels-down in PIK.

Amazing for a transatlantic trip, not a bad route for a 737 then, its often longer to Tenerife !

ghYHZ

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:50 am

Quoting by738 (Reply 19):
Amazing for a transatlantic trip, not a bad route for a 737 then, its often longer to Tenerife !

From my trip notes.....

AC860 L-1011, Feb 6, 1989
Push-back Gate 18 at Halifax: 22:32 AT (Atlantic Time)
Wheels up at Halifax: 22:47 (02:47 British Time)
Wheels down at Prestwick: 07:11
At Gate Prestwick: 07:19
Dep Prestwick Scotrail Station: 08:05
Arr Glasgow Central: 08:52

I was into timing things back then.....including high speed trains on a BritRail Pass over the next 10 days!

[Edited 2014-02-15 17:17:18]

[Edited 2014-02-15 17:24:11]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos