Coal
Topic Author

UA Quietly Getting Rid Of Ch. 9?

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm

I flew on UA 895 from HKG to SIN last Monday on a 772ER and noticed (as per the screenshots below) some changes to the main menu. I then, as I usually do, pressed the Audio button looking for the "From the Cockpit" Channel 9 option. However, as you can see, I couldn't find it.

I thought perhaps this a/c had some issue with the IFE or so. But then on the return flight, UA 896 from SIN to HKG on Friday, I noticed the exact same thing: Channel 9 was gone 

Anyone know why there was no Channel 9 option? I know when the captain decides not to turn it on, the button is still in the IFE but instead it plays some corny elevator music.

Main IFE menu

Audio menu

Cheers
Coal

PS. I would also like to know why is it that the IFE ALWAYS crashes either just before or during the safety briefing for some (but not all) screens and only comes back until around takeoff or just after? Seems like a common bug that no one has bothered to fix:

Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

777ord

RE: UA Quietly Getting Rid Of Ch. 9?

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:33 pm

certain countries do not allow for that broadcast to be available. Just like why you won't see LHR listed on liveatc.net sadly  .

Most pilots do not like it, but almost all customers do! Also, depending on if you're on an sUA or sCO aircraft will depend if you get it period. CO planes are currently having that feature added while UA ones all have it.

Ch9 is not a checklist item, but a simple selection for them to turn on. It's defaulted OFF. There's been a lot of pressure to make it on 24/7. But, that quickly died.

When in doubt- ask the crew to turn it on. 99% of the time it'll get turned on.

dfambro

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Quoting 777ord (Reply 1):
99% of the time it'll get turned on.

In my own experience, it's only about ~50% or the time that it's turned on after a request. That's just for my requests, and I'm very polite  
My anecdotal experience is that it's much less frequently on than it was a few years ago. At this point it seems like it's rarely on.

n92r03

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:59 pm

certain countries do not allow for that broadcast to be available.

I did not know that, but makes sense.

A couple years ago on UA 896 HKG-ORD, back on a 744, Ch 9 worked on taxi and takeoff but about 15-20 minutes out it suddenly went dark and never came back on. Too bad, it was quite interesting hearing the controller telling us to climb faster and the pilot working the radio basically telling him it was not the space shuttle.

brilondon

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 pm

As a general rule, I don't really care for it although I use to find it interesting but now I could not care less if I get to hear the routine chatter that most people who fly don't understand.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

tyler81190

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 4):
As a general rule, I don't really care for it although I use to find it interesting but now I could not care less if I get to hear the routine chatter that most people who fly don't understand.

as a G.A. pilot I love to listen. But I can understand how some things being said may freak out some passengers if they do not know what is going on.

ua900

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Quoting dfambro (Reply 2):
My anecdotal experience is that it's much less frequently on than it was a few years ago. At this point it seems like it's rarely on.

Sure seems like it

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 5):
as a G.A. pilot I love to listen.

Ch 9 is great feature on the sUA planes. Hope that pilots continue to make it available.

Ch9 is not a checklist item, but a simple selection for them to turn on. It's defaulted OFF. There's been a lot of pressure to make it on 24/7. But, that quickly died.

Any rationale behind defaulting to off? I thought it was decided to keep Ch 9 around the same time they decided to keep E+

I understand that some pilots may perceive it as a liability, but I also know a ton of sUA elites who absolutely love CH 9, myself included there. I have never seen anyone jump up from their seat and complain that something heard on CH 9 was upsetting or alarming.

[Edited 2014-02-16 13:30:36]
2020: DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

tyler81190

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 6):
I have never seen anyone jump up from their seat and complain that something heard on CH 9 was upsetting or alarming.

I am not saying it would be that upsetting or alarming.. But when ATC warns of turbulence ahead, some nervous flyers might get antsy. Other things that are regular transmissions could be interpreted by a nervous flyer as something completely different.

ryu2

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Channel 9 has been moved under "About this flight" now.

[Edited 2014-02-16 14:26:29]

COERJ145

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:51 pm

On sCO 767-400s and sUA 767-300s (2 class reconfigured), in C and Y it is under the map channel. On the sUA 767-300 (3 class), 777-200 and 747-400 it should be under the map as well(at least in C/F); not sure about Y.

777fan

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:55 pm

certain countries do not allow for that broadcast to be available. Just like why you won't see LHR listed on liveatc.net sadly  .

Yeah, but Japan (and at least South Korea) aren't among them. I've also lived on Ch9 on countless Transpac flights and yes, that includes the HF comms.

Quoting ryu2 (Reply 8):

Score - you just made a ton of friends.

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 7):

I am not saying it would be that upsetting or alarming.. But when ATC warns of turbulence ahead, some nervous flyers might get antsy. Other things that are regular transmissions could be interpreted by a nervous flyer as something completely different.

This is precisely why many flyers love Ch9. I've timed drinks and lab trips based on the messages passed from ATCs to the flight deck and also from one flight deck to another.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

mm320cap

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:00 am

Sadly, it is being removed from many airplanes as we transition to the on demand streaming entertainment, hence no seat audio anymore. I have not heard if they will somehow offer it as an option once that system is fully functioning or even if it's possible. There has actually been concern from some in our pilot group about it going away and losing a good marketing tool. I know I always have it on, and 75% of the time or more that I get into the airplane the switch is on. It's not "defaulted to off". It's just whatever the precious Captain had it set to.

More and more, though, it's simply not an option to offer as the A320 seat retrofits are done. Hopefully it will remain in some fashion going forward

strfyr51

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 am

I am a Maint. Controller at United and with the Wi-Fi and Streaming Video there's no provision for Ch-9 because there's not going to be seat Audio *.AT ALL* in the near future. .
For the next Question the IFE is interrupted by the safety announcements and is not again available
until above 10000 Ft as is Wi-Fi.
I seriously doubt United will EVER install Cell phone Capability in flight to preclude passengers From killing each other when one becomes annoyed with the other. .

shufflemoomin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:34 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 7):

The simple solution is for nervous flyers to not listen in. It's not mandatory to listen but it's a nice feature that some people enjoy. I've only flown UA once and I found CH9 a nice way to pass an hour or so and it was comforting and interesting background noise when resting and trying to sleep.

Coal
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:04 am

certain countries do not allow for that broadcast to be available. Just like why you won't see LHR listed on liveatc.net sadly

I should have mentioned that I fly this route twice a week (I commute between HK and Singapore). Ch. 9 has been available on this route since I started flying it in 2006 (and also on the SIN-NRT route).

Most pilots do not like it, but almost all customers do! Also, depending on if you're on an sUA or sCO aircraft will depend if you get it period. CO planes are currently having that feature added while UA ones all have it.

The 777s that go to SIN are sUA.

Quoting n92r03 (Reply 3):
A couple years ago on UA 896 HKG-ORD, back on a 744, Ch 9 worked on taxi and takeoff but about 15-20 minutes out it suddenly went dark and never came back on.

Indeed, I have had this happen as well. But ultimately the more entertaining part of Ch. 9 is between pushback clearance and takeoff and between top of descent and parking.

Quoting ryu2 (Reply 8):

No. I thought so, but it was not there. They only had connecting and baggage info. I will take a pic of it on Wednesday night when I am on UA 895 again.

Quoting mm320cap (Reply 11):
Sadly, it is being removed from many airplanes as we transition to the on demand streaming entertainment, hence no seat audio anymore. I have not heard if they will somehow offer it as an option once that system is fully functioning or even if it's possible. There has actually been concern from some in our pilot group about it going away and losing a good marketing tool. I know I always have it on, and 75% of the time or more that I get into the airplane the switch is on. It's not "defaulted to off". It's just whatever the precious Captain had it set to.
Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 12):
I am a Maint. Controller at United and with the Wi-Fi and Streaming Video there's no provision for Ch-9 because there's not going to be seat Audio *.AT ALL* in the near future. .

So would these 777s be equipped with the new IFE/WiFi? Is that the reason? Still, there were other audio options available (and the PTVs are and will still be there).

Quoting brilondon (Reply 4):
the routine chatter that most people who fly don't understand.

Maybe, but you will have the minority of A.netters, FTers, etc., who roughly know what is going on, plus other curious people.

Cheers
Coal

brilondon

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:14 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 14):
Maybe, but you will have the minority of A.netters, FTers, etc., who roughly know what is going on, plus other curious people.

That makes up .1% of the flying public? The rest of us don't really care.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

kgaiflyer

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:56 am

Quoting Coal (Thread starter):
Anyone know why there was no Channel 9 option?

We had it this weekend on UA753 (BWI-SFO) and UA649 (SFO-BWI) -- both 752s.

Coal
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:22 am

Quoting crownvic (Reply 18):
I could not agree with you more.

I flew on UA 895 from HKG to SIN last Monday on a 772ER and noticed (as per the screenshots below) some changes to the main menu. I then, as I usually do, pressed the Audio button looking for the "From the Cockpit" Channel 9 option. However, as you can see, I couldn't find it.
Quoting ryu2 (Reply 8):

I am flying UA 895 again tonight. I will check and look for it.

Cheers
Coal

Fiveholer

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Interesting enough about Ch9. First off, I LOVE it...I work for UA and fly a bit...I have noticed it becoming rarer and rarer sadly. A few weeks ago, I was on 883 DEN-OGG...started with Ch9 on and maybe an hour into the flight....music. Hmmmm, well, shortly after an announcement from the crew and a mx diversion to SFO. Thankfully, an hour later in SFO, we were back on our way to OGG. I hope it doesn't go away completely but I'm afraid that is where we are headed.
Bring back Bethune!

ckfred

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Back in the 1970s, I had a portable radio that had AM, FM, TV channels 2-13 (just the audio), CB, and the frequency band used by ATC. I could listen to Chicago Departure, Chicago Approach, and O'Hare Tower for hours.

United_fan

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Maybe you were on a PMCO 777 ? I dont think the PMCO birds were retrofitted with ch 9.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

FlyDeltaJets

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Quoting United_fan (Reply 22):
Maybe you were on a PMCO 777 ? I dont think the PMCO birds were retrofitted with ch 9.

That is a sUA flight and would not be operated with a sCO 777 with the same sUA flight number.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

Revo1059

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Quote:
started with Ch9 on and maybe an hour into the flight....music. Hmmmm, well, shortly after an announcement from the crew and a mx diversion to SFO

Guess they didn't want anybody hearing that.

On a flight out of ORD we had an MX (gear wouldn't go up, turned out to be a hydraulic leak) and I was lucky enough that I got to hear the entire exchange on ch9. I knew we were returning before the cabin crew did. They get rid of 9 and that's one less reason they stand out from everyone else and one less reason to specifically pick them to fly.

flyguy1

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:16 pm

CH.9 is one of the only reasons to fly United!
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

planespotting

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Quoting mm320cap (Reply 11):

Bummer. I've had some very good experiences with Channel 9. Hearing AF1 talk to Center just east of Chicago, countless "windshear" warnings on final (and breaking action reports, ha) in crummy weather, knowing about maintenance delays (and a few unexpected maintenance fixes!) before other passengers, hearing an ATC buddy of mine request the pilots to give my wife a shoutout over the intercom on her 30th bday, and other exciting normal aircraft procedural events.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

strfyr51

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:31 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 14):
So would these 777s be equipped with the new IFE/WiFi? Is that the reason? Still, there were other audio options available (and the PTVs are and will still be there).

The new seats don't have provisions for headphones. That provision is going to be for Laptop Power, No seat Electronic Boxes,
no added wiring.
The Wi fi and Streaming video is wireless, The seats alone will be 100 Lbs Less per row because of it and at least a Thousand Pounds will be removed getting rid of the IFE screens and everything uplinked to your i- pad, i-phone,or Laptop via sattelite uplink... It's gonna suck!

aklrno

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Quoting Revo1059 (Reply 24):
Guess they didn't want anybody hearing that.

A few years ago I was on a United flight DEN-RNO and listened to an argument between the pilot and ATC on channel 9. There were a lot of thunderstorms in the area and much turbulence. Our pilot wanted to stay below 23,000 feet to avoid turbulence as we approached the rockies. ATC wanted us to climb but the pilot basically refused. After about 10 minutes of arguing ATC said "radar service terminated" and we carried on at our low altitude. We climbed after passing the front range of the Rockies. It was a very pleasant flight but I heard lots of other aircraft asking about changing altitude to avoid turbulence without any success, Our pilot was right, staying low was the best way.

I was surprised the pilot let us hear the whole thing, but I did end up thanking him for a smooth flight.

Coal
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:24 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 27):
The new seats don't have provisions for headphones. That provision is going to be for Laptop Power, No seat Electronic Boxes

OK, then that doesn't explain this because the sUA 772 I was on had PTVs and obviously audio jacks.

I flew UA 895 again last night. The captain came on the PA and said if we wanted to monitor the progress of the flight, we could tune into Channel 9, found under Audio > From the Flight Deck, and that our call sign would be the same as our flight number  

I asked an FA about it but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

I am really confused.

Cheers
Coal

Yflyer

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:44 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 27):
The new seats don't have provisions for headphones. That provision is going to be for Laptop Power, No seat Electronic Boxes,
no added wiring.
The Wi fi and Streaming video is wireless,

I'm imagine it would be possible to stream Channel 9 over the wireless streaming system if they really wanted to. What that would entail and how much it would cost I don't know.

Quoting aklrno (Reply 28):
A few years ago I was on a United flight DEN-RNO and listened to an argument between the pilot and ATC on channel 9. There were a lot of thunderstorms in the area and much turbulence...

I was on a DEN-SMF flight rears ago and I remember listening to Channel 9 and hearing ATC inform our pilots of some light chop ahead. As soon as we hit the turbulence I heard one of our pilots request a different altitude, which ATC initially denied due to conflicting traffic, and then later granted once that traffic had passed. I found it really interesting to hear how they tried several different altitudes looking for the smoothest ride.

There was another time I was listening to it as we taxied out. I was the first person to know we were going to go back to the gate to offload a sick passenger  . I did switch over to music shortly after they informed the ground controllers of the situation. I guess they didn't want us to hear the exact details of what was going on.

N766UA

Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:49 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 5):
But I can understand how some things being said may freak out some passengers if they do not know what is going on.

The concern is not so much that someone would get "freaked out," but rather that you're opening yourself up to criticism. I mean, who knows, some flight inspector's riding in coach and he happens to not like your radio calls, now you've got that to deal with. It's the same reason prudent people shouldn't be posting everything they think on twitter; 99% of the time it doesn't hurt anything, but there's that 1 time that it does.

777MAS

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:23 am

PS. I would also like to know why is it that the IFE ALWAYS crashes either just before or during the safety briefing for some (but not all) screens and only comes back until around takeoff or just after? Seems like a common bug that no one has bothered to fix:

I also saw the same "crashing" when I flew UA896 in May last year, and it needed a reboot - all this happened just as the plane was beginning its taxi after leaving the terminal. During the reboot the chief purser even announced that if they couldn't fix it on 2nd attempt, we may have to do without IFE for the flight! But this was not a problem on the return leg on UA895. I suspect it may have to do with the fact that for UA896, the plane (and its systems) had been "off" while overnighting in Singapore, whereas for UA895, it had just arrived from ORD barely 2 hours earlier, and was therefore "on" all that while.

Coal
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am

Quoting 777MAS (Reply 32):
I also saw the same "crashing" when I flew UA896 in May last year, and it needed a reboot - all this happened just as the plane was beginning its taxi after leaving the terminal. During the reboot the chief purser even announced that if they couldn't fix it on 2nd attempt, we may have to do without IFE for the flight! But this was not a problem on the return leg on UA895. I suspect it may have to do with the fact that for UA896, the plane (and its systems) had been "off" while overnighting in Singapore, whereas for UA895, it had just arrived from ORD barely 2 hours earlier, and was therefore "on" all that while.

Happened again last night on UA 895. There hasn't been an instance in the last 8 months on UA 895 or 896 in which the system didn't crash. Seems like some bug that goes off during start up or so, but I suppose nobody has bothered to report it.

Cheers
Coal

Tugger

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:43 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 19):
Back in the 1970s, I had a portable radio that had AM, FM, TV channels 2-13 (just the audio), CB, and the frequency band used by ATC. I could listen to Chicago Departure, Chicago Approach, and O'Hare Tower for hours.

Why can't people just listen on their own device nowadays? There must be some inexpensive and simple players/radios that can pick up the ATC and cockpit frequency.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

aklrno

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:06 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 32):
Why can't people just listen on their own device nowadays? There must be some inexpensive and simple players/radios that can pick up the ATC and cockpit frequency.

If you are on a wi-fi plane and the airline allows devices during takeoff (like WN) then just use liveatc.net

VC10er

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:27 pm

Everyone here who wants Ch9 should send emails to United demanding it. They do read and listen, like the old days when a company would get giant bags of mail. Letters kept Star Trek from being cancelled after it's second season!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

exFWAOONW

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Just a guess, but the sytem "crashes" you experience might be due to switching power during engine start-up as the a/c transitions from gate or APU to the generators on the engines. Do the cabin lights flicker at about the same time?
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

Coal
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:23 pm

Quoting exFWAOONW (Reply 35):
Just a guess, but the sytem "crashes" you experience might be due to switching power during engine start-up as the a/c transitions from gate or APU to the generators on the engines.

That's exactly what I thought. But, I would imagine like on most airlines, the system would just shutdown and restart, but it seems it just crashes. Or... It has an extremely long start up sequence without a nice wallpaper to cover up the Linux code!

Cheers
Coal

mm320cap

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Got clarification via EWR CPO update. Ch9 will not be going away and will actually be expanded to all fleets (mainline). It will be available over the streaming WIFI as that is installed and activated. For awhile it will go away on the Airbuses as they are reconfigured, but this is temporary.

Hope that helps. I will continue to offer it to our passengers when it's available. Enjoy.

NZ107

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Quoting mm320cap (Reply 37):
For awhile it will go away on the Airbuses as they are reconfigured, but this is temporary.

Interesting.. So they're going to fit the Airbuses with headphone jacks?
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

hOMSaR

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 pm

If ever there was use for a "like" button, this would certainly be it.

Good to hear channel 9 will stick around once wifi is expanded.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

quiet1

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 am

For awhile it will go away on the Airbuses as they are reconfigured, but this is temporary.
Quoting NZ107 (Reply 38):
Interesting.. So they're going to fit the Airbuses with headphone jacks?

I took that to mean that as the Airbus fleet gets reconfigured with WiFi, that Channel 9 would again be available? If so, then no headphone jacks in the seats.

CALTECH

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:02 pm

All of the sCAL 777s supposedly had Ch9 installed back in 2012, if the project status updates are correct. Last read that Ch9 waas going to be expanded to the whole fleet, but haven't seen any updates lately.
You are here.

strfyr51

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 40):
I took that to mean that as the Airbus fleet gets reconfigured with WiFi, that Channel 9 would again be available? If so, then no headphone jacks in the seats.

Correct you'll have to pick it up over your personal streaming device. Verify with United what Device and software you have.
My Kindle didn't work.

CALTECH

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Seeing a 'CHANNEL 9 ATC WIRE ROUTING' scheduled for 4/29/2014 in HKG. It is a Engineering Authorization. Looks like Ch9 will be around.

And this is to be installed on a 767-400, Acft # 060.

[Edited 2014-02-22 05:45:06]

[Edited 2014-02-22 05:46:22]
You are here.

777ord

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:05 am

In response to a previous reply....

Most pilots fear that they'll have some subjective law-suit crazed passenger who will hear turbulence reports and then make themselves injured so they can sue and ruin that crews career. So, they eliminate that issue and just turn it off.

I used to commute SAN-ORD for 1.5 years (198 round trips....) and I loved having it on. Especially when I'd be flying home to SD and would wake up hearing my favorite words, "United XXX decend via the LYNDI 2 arrival" and especially "Cleared to land runway 27....."

But, the market and industry is changing and why would I waste my time listening to UA radio when I can use my own music on my iPhone? I understand UA's rationale. I just like knowing I have options. At least give us the seat charger  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos