b-hox
Topic Author

CX879 Lands In HKG With Some Pax & Crew Injured

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:29 pm

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...-cathay-flight-hit-turbulance-over

Seems like 9 passengers were injured along with 2 crew members when the 747 flew by the coast of Hokkaido. Flight was CX879 SFO-HKG

bharathkv

CX879 Lands In HKG With Some Pax & Crew Injured

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:34 pm

this is really bad. I have travelled in that flight for many times and i have seen some nasty turbulence near Japan. Never imagined that it will be this bad. I always wear seat belt during the entire journey while seated. Were the passengers not wearing seat belt during that phase? I feel it was a sudden turbulence and probably many did not have time to wear the belts in time to escape from the turbulence.

Norcal773

RE: CX879 Lands In HKG With Some Pax & Crew Injured

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:32 pm

Quoting bharathkv (Reply 1):

this is really bad. I have travelled in that flight for many times and i have seen some nasty turbulence near Japan. Never imagined that it will be this bad. I always wear seat belt during the entire journey while seated. Were the passengers not wearing seat belt during that phase? I feel it was a sudden turbulence and probably many did not have time to wear the belts in time to escape from the turbulence.

Well, remember there could have been people up to use the bathroom or stretch especially if the seat belt light was off. I always have my seat belt on while seated, but that's a long flight and folks are bound to be up from their seats at any given time. I think this could have been worse considering if the loads were good this thing had well over 300 pax.
If you're going through hell, keep going

bharathkv

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 2):
I always have my seat belt on while seated, but that's a long flight and folks are bound to be up from their seats at any given time

I totally agree. The problem with long flights is that passengers sometimes walk around the cabin for stretching. It is very unlucky that some passengers got hurt.

I think this could have been worse considering if the loads were good this thing had well over 300 pax.

This flight usually has good load because this flight connects most of the India routes. The night flight CX 872 does not connect those routes. So probably we could expect the flight to be near full. Any thoughts on this?

reality

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Quoting bharathkv (Reply 3):
So probably we could expect the flight to be near full. Any thoughts on this?
I think this could have been worse considering if the loads were good this thing had well over 300 pax.

According to the article the op referenced in post 1 above:

"Flight CX879 left San Francisco on Monday with 321 passengers and 21 crew aboard when the Boeing 747 unexpectedly ran into strong turbulence over Hokkaido at around 12.30pm, Cathay said."

Norcal773

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 pm

I totally agree. The problem with long flights is that passengers sometimes walk around the cabin for stretching. It is very unlucky that some passengers got hurt.

Yep. I've flown this route often although never on CX, misty on SQ or UA and the air seems to always be rough over Japan... but I think more often than not we've taken the more Notehrn route over Alaska, China then straight down to HKG and avoiding Japan and S. Korea altogether.
If you're going through hell, keep going

pasu129

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:19 am

Here's a photo I've found on Instagram, cabin interior suffered severe damage and galley equipment all over floor. Hope injured have a speedy recovery.

Viva Las Vegas

jonnyclark

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:46 am

I have flown over the pacifc NAD-LAX and LAX-HNL as a passenger over the past 48 hours and the turbulence levels are unusually high between FL380-400, especially over the ITCZ (even as a pilot I was fairly surprised). No surprise there is further turbulence to the north too, it's a stormy northern hemisphere right now. May be speculation, but there seems a lot of activity.
Jonny, commercial pilot & founder of Thedesignair

metsfan1

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:49 am

Just out of curiosity, with the damage in the photo above why did they continue to Hong Kong which was at least a few hours away. Why not divert to somewhere in Japan?

shengzhurou

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:39 am

according from flightaware, the aircraft was B-HOP , the 25 years old and oldest 744 in the fleet.
Sheng Zhu Rou

7seven7

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 am

Quoting metsfan1 (Reply 8):
Just out of curiosity, with the damage in the photo above why did they continue to Hong Kong which was at least a few hours away. Why not divert to somewhere in Japan?

I suspect that it would've taken a half hour or so to assess the people injured - with the help of medical professionals on board, the crew themselves and the assistance of medlink. Assuming the injured were in a stable condition and being looked after, it may not have made sense to rush the cabin crew into cleaning up the aisles and landing in such a short period of time.

Other (less important) considerations:
-A diversion would require a replacement crew, displacing over 300 pax that weren't injured
-The aircraft on landing would not be released for flight again, as it would require maintenance to access FDAP data and perform a check or inspection since the aircraft encountered "severe turbulence". This would mean accommodating other pax on either other flights or a replacement aircraft which may not have been available

The aircraft does carry quite a bit of medical equipment. Splints for broken bones, bandages, neck braces, oxygen, pain killes, AEDs and resus kits. The decision to (or not to) divert isn't taken lightly. A diversion can be a high workload situation, and I'm sure the cockpit crew did consider it. They at least had plenty of options along the way (Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Taipei) had anyone's condition deteriorated.

Glad to hear everyone bar one flightie is out of hospital and in good condition!

CX Flyboy

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:10 am

Remember in japan also, the authorities often impound an aircraft and can arrest the pilots until a judge clears them as innocent, especially when there are injuries involved. It has happened before where an aircraft had a firm landing where some people were injured and the pilots were arrested. It would certainly make me think twice about diverting there is someone was injured from turbulence.

ChazPilot

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:35 am

Quoting jonnyclark (Reply 7):
I have flown over the pacifc NAD-LAX and LAX-HNL as a passenger over the past 48 hours and the turbulence levels are unusually high between FL380-400, especially over the ITCZ (even as a pilot I was fairly surprised). No surprise there is further turbulence to the north too, it's a stormy northern hemisphere right now. May be speculation, but there seems a lot of activity.

I flew on CX870 the opposite direction a couple weeks ago and the tailwinds in the first half of the flight were fantastic - 150 kts. w. GS around 745 mph according to the in flight tracker. Not sure if that was entirely accurate or not but the captain did mention he expected a quick hop over the Pacific and that we might get some bumps associated with the tailwinds. Fortunately we didn't really, thanks to reasonably consistent winds + low rates of change.

zeke

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Quoting metsfan1 (Reply 8):

I see a lot of mess in those photos (looks like it was in the middle of a service), they should have been able to clean that up. The crew generally do not make the call for for a diversion for onboard sickness, that come from a doctor on the other end of sat phone. CX uses a service called Medlink http://www.medaire.com/solutions/airlines/solutions

If they determine there is a emergency, they will recommend a diversion, otherwise continue. From what I understand from HKG papers the injuries were medically considered to be minor.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

sw733

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:40 pm

The problem with long flights is that passengers sometimes walk around the cabin for stretching. It is very unlucky that some passengers got hurt.

Yes, and if they don't get up they can get hurt too from something like DVT.

Quoting zeke (Reply 13):
I see a lot of mess in those photos (looks like it was in the middle of a service), they should have been able to clean that up.

Seems like an odd time to be in a service. They were still several hours out of HKG at that point. A bit too early for the pre-arrival meal it would seem?

bharathkv

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 14):
Seems like an odd time to be in a service. They were still several hours out of HKG at that point. A bit too early for the pre-arrival meal it would seem?

Thats right. As far as I remember meals for Indian passengers who opt for Asian vegetarian are served earlier than the regular course. Probably flight attendants started for those passengers.

From the pic turbulence seems to be have been really severe.

ChazPilot

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:08 am

Quoting sw733 (Reply 14):

Actually, I've observed on my last several CX long hauls that they are doing the second meal much earlier, almost in the middle of the flight. But that's a separate topic - I'll start a thread on that because it's something that's been bugging me!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos