AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Ryanair Caught On Camera (Again)

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Few weeks after the Rabat-Paris flight riot, here is a new video of the what passengers had to endure on a flight from Stansted to Oporto... Here again, passengers were left clueless on what will happen with their flight. Even worse, they were forced to stay in plane after the airport close without any possibility to buy refreshments nor just call taxis and go back home. Look at the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASDuL...atch%3Fv%3DASDuLY3F4v0&app=desktop

Sad to see people go through this but again, this is what they paid for!
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

shankly

RE: Ryanair Caught On Camera (Again)

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:58 pm

No sympathy....you pays your price and takes your chances. Fly with BA or TAP next time
L1011 - P F M

sandyb123

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:03 pm

As I understand it, the passengers are legally entitled to:

Water and refreshments based on delay
Compensation of EURO 250

There are also a myriad of human rights legislative stuff about being held against your will etc etc but that really is a minefield.

It's looks like a catalogue of problems coupled with ineffective management / leadership which resulted in the passengers calling the police.

At the end of the day this is another FR PR fail which has already had 80k views on Youtube and is doing the rounds on Facebook.

Another example of why I will never step onboard an FR aircraft.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

lollomz

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 pm

What to say? Personally I choose to not fly with Ryanair anymore........ I had my experience with their amazing customer service!
[url="http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collection/Lollomz"]Image[/url]

AirPacific747

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Never ever flown with FR and proud of it.

shufflemoomin

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 pm

This happen WAY too often on Ryanair compared to other carriers in Europe. I prefer to pay a little more to fly with someone else and consider the extra money spent to be an insurance policy against this sort of treatment.

B738FlyUIA

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Quoting shankly (Reply 1):
No sympathy....you pays your price and takes your chances. Fly with BA or TAP next time

Absolutely my thoughts when was watching the movie. Then better with any other company to change aircraft.

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 2):
At the end of the day this is another FR PR fail which has already had 80k views on Youtube and is doing the rounds on Facebook.

Neg PR is fast and do not wonder that it's on Facebook.

Quoting lollomz (Reply 3):
What to say? Personally I choose to not fly with Ryanair anymore........ I had my experience with their amazing customer service!

I never had that but was never been a thought to fly with FR. Now for sure know that it's not the best idea.

Over all I see that there is no professionalism by the Crew.

SpaceshipDC10

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Thread starter):
Sad to see people go through this but again, this is what they paid for!

No one forced them to fly with that (rude word) airline. They get what they paid for. Next time they should think twice before going for the cheapest fare... Cheap doesn't mean convenient.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 4):

+1

Cipango

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:22 am

No sympathy....you pays your price and takes your chances.
Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 7):
No one forced them to fly with that (rude word) airline. They get what they paid for.

I completely disagree. Yes FR are a cheap airline and the definition of "no-frills" but no human being deserves to be treated this way - no matter their income and how much they pay. FR can undercut BA and TAP by a very large extent and some people do not value a flight at such a high cost. Of course those that want to and can afford to can fly BA or TAP but it is not fair to judge a person simply because they chose to pay less for FR.

People who live in the catchment of STN are in fact a very long way away from LHR, for the price but also convenience a person flies with FR.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

EK413

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:48 am

You get what you paid for & that's why they are called ULLC...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

MillwallSean

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:41 am

No they didnt pay for a delay of hours, they didnt pay for their by the EU granted rights to be violated.

There are laws that are supposed to ensure this doesn't happen. What Ryanair did here was either incompetent and illegal or premeditated and illegal. That people could argue about but this is illegal and they break a plethora of rules and regulations.
Since its out and Ryanair always ensures that cases they loose wont end up in court. So the passengers will get their compensation and ryanair will continue with their incompetant/illegal and premeditated/illegal procedures and Customer relationship management.

When Ryanair works they are fine, when they dont they are always borderline criminal or like they did in this instance blatantly breaking the law.

I hope someone start (i assume itll be outside of UK/Ireland) procedures against the management not just against the company. Send a few directors to a month inside and theyll change their practices very very fast. And in lets say france they cant buy their way out of it, like its been proven with the Marseille base...
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

KC135Hydraulics

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:27 am

They should have done what thr Brazilians did a short time ago, and popped the emergency exits and get out on the wing for some fresh air! False imprisonment is what this is, and the only way to stop it is to take matters into your own hands.
MSgt, USAF
KC-135R / C-17A Pneudraulic Systems Mechanic Supervisor

AF1624

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:41 am

Quoting KC135Hydraulics (Reply 11):
They should have done what thr Brazilians did a short time ago, and popped the emergency exits and get out on the wing for some fresh air! False imprisonment is what this is, and the only way to stop it is to take matters into your own hands.

Exactly what I was going to say. This totally is false imprisonment and it really doesn't matter what they paid for, they're clearly getting their rights violated there. It's ridiculous.

Never flown with FR and definitely never will.
Cheers

AAMDanny

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:21 am

I think it's wrong to say that they get what they paid for... They paid for a flight from Stansted to Oporto. They did not pay to sit on a plane all night and to be told they can not get off.

The problem I see here..... is that it clearly shows what happens when You sub out all your handling to various agencies around an airport, the blame can be passed from one third party to another, by the sounds of it there was a lack of ground staff from Swissport (did they all work there shift then go home?) and not stay despite flights still had not left?)

It's terrible that passengers had to resort to calling the police. And that the police had to attend to the aircraft to resolve this matter. As a UK tax payer this infuriates me as clearly there was no leadership or ownership in the situation from the airline or any of its third party airport operations team.

As for not food or drink, I know as crew we are not allowed to open the retail carts on the ground for UK Customs/Bond regulations (as its all tax free so can only be opened in the air and must be sealed again before landing) but the cabin crew should (I've never been crew for Ryanair so don't know their exact policies) had been able to give out at least tap water.

Phen

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:59 am

Quoting AAMDanny (Reply 13):
I think it's wrong to say that they get what they paid for... They paid for a flight from Stansted to Oporto. They did not pay to sit on a plane all night and to be told they can not get off.

I completely agree. FR's treatment of its passengers here is downright ridiculous regardless of how much they've paid. With a no-frills airline you expect to be treated rudely, pay extortionate fees for checked baggage, seat selection etc. but to be left on an aircraft like animals for hours is totally unacceptable and I hope there are some serious consequences for FR for this.

StTim

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:05 am

Should be had up on charges of false imprisonment.

To show that all low cost carriers are not the same I was on an Easyjet flight that was delayed (due to weather). After 30 mins on the ground the cabin crew came around with free water. Didn't cost EasyJet much but got a lot of good will.

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 am

You are wrong. They paid an airline that does not have contingency plans when flights are disrupted. They paid for not well trained cabin crew. They paid an airline that can not give free refreshments cause it will eat up their margins. So they did pay for the misery that happened to them and I have no sympathy whatsover for them. Flying Ryanair is bringing down customer service across the industry and is supporting social dumping...

Funny, how FR fans are silent today  ))

RussianJet

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 am

Certainly quite an episode.

There are inaccuracies though. Firstly, the airport didn't 'close'. There may have been sod-all going on by 0300, but the airport doesn't 'close'. Secondly, the Police didn't have to 'break in' to anywhere - they are perfectly at liberty to get into the terminal, any time of the day or night.

All in all, I've been on the sharp end of this myself, and while I can believe it was handled appallingly. for me it's a numbers game. It happens rarely, very rarely in the context of the number of daily movements, so if it's cheap enough then the calculated risk is worth it.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

Cipango

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:22 am

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 16):
You are wrong. They paid an airline that does not have contingency plans when flights are disrupted. They paid for not well trained cabin crew. They paid an airline that can not give free refreshments cause it will eat up their margins. So they did pay for the misery that happened to them and I have no sympathy whatsover for them.

I think it was wrong of the cabin crew to say they were "off duty" - what ever happened to taking one for the team?

But I disagree with everything else. People did not pay for that. They paid for a flight from STN-OPO.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

LOWS

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:34 am

Quoting cipango (Reply 18):
I think it was wrong of the cabin crew to say they were "off duty" - what ever happened to taking one for the team?

Cabin Crew that are also so poorly treated are not going to have a lot of loyalty in situations like this.

StTim

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:41 am

I think I read under Ryan Airs T's and C'c that the cabin crew are not officially on duty until the doors close. I could be wrong but in that case they were not being paid for being put into that position.

Ncfc99

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 9):

Some of us cant afford to pay more for flights, do you think we deserve to be held captive because of it? Yes you get what you pay for, but do you seriously think that includes false imprisonment? Basic human rights are for everyone, not those privilidge to fly BA. The lack of compassion towards people stuck on a plane due to poor management by FR, their ground handlers and the airport astounds me.

In my 20 or so flights on FR I have never had a problem, however I have had delays on BA, so I didn't get what you guys think I paid for a.........

tommy1808

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 am

and not stay despite flights still had not left?

When i worked in ground handling at FMO Airport, shifts where defined by the flights i was to handle. My shift would end when the flights gear left the ground or i hit the 12 hours wall. I always assumed that was the case everywhere.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

afterburner33

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 am

It's funny how Ryanair raises such emotion in some people.

I do not really like Ryanair. If I am travelling I will try to use easyJet first, or pretty much any other airline. I get quite annoyed with their relentless penny-pinching on everything, and their tiny baggage allowances, and a number of other things.

However I have used them a number of times in the past, and probably will in the future. I do so knowing full well what they are like - I make sure that I fulfil all the requirements around boarding passes and visa checks, and that I only have carry on luggage that I know does not exceed their allowance. I put up with the cattle like treatment at the gates, the rush for seats, and the out of the way airports they fly to. I do this because in many circumstances it is to my benefit. For example, a flight to Venice (well, Treviso, which is sort of near Venice) a few years ago on Ryanair was £80 return, when the next best price was well over £300. In that case, I am happy to use them, and to put up with the other inconveniences.

And I will say this - I have never encountered any problems with them in terms of getting to where I want to go. All my flights have departed and arrived pretty much on time (which means I hear that stupid and annoying cavalry charge music on most landings). I have not had much interaction with their staff, but what I have had has been perfectly acceptable. There was only one incident around checked luggage where I felt they could have been more flexible, but I know that isn't their way and ultimately it was my fault. Don't get me wrong - as above I would rather fly pretty much any other airline. But despite the fact that flying Ryanair is not particularly pleasant, I would use them again if required in future.

Maybe I've just been lucky...

plexwriter

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:43 pm

It's easy to attack Ryanair but let's talk about the high cost airlines too. I have never encountered problems with Air France, Alitalia of Virgin Atlantic but on a flight between CDG and MEX (aeromexico), passengers receive only some drinks during last 7 hours of the flight (wich was a 13 h flight). One of the toilets was closed because of leck of paper.
In the case of the video, I think the airport has a big part of responsabilities too.

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Quoting ncfc99 (Reply 21):
Some of us cant afford to pay more for flights, do you think we deserve to be held captive because of it? Yes you get what you pay for, but do you seriously think that includes false imprisonment? Basic human rights are for everyone, not those privilidge to fly BA. The lack of compassion towards people stuck on a plane due to poor management by FR, their ground handlers and the airport astounds me.

I am sure people can still afford easyJet or Vueling. And there are some (like a bunch of my friends) who do not bother looking into other airlines because they think flying BA is for priviliged. I guess they are wrong. And honestly when are people going to understand that flying a STN-OPO for 20 pounds is not just that: it is social dumping, it is extras collected for phone calls to expensive hotline numbers, it is FR's cabin crew paying for their uniforms and training even if they fail, it is tax payer money, etc...

ZuluAlpha

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:06 pm

While watching the video one thing I noticed was there was no PA system in the aircraft when the police initially made their announcement or when the flight attendant was trying to relay instructions. I am after some guidance here. Do they not have an address system for the flight attendants to address or to make announcements?

As mentioned earlier, about how they will most like just pay out the customers. It would be interesting in these situations if someone made the decision not to accept any recompense from the airline and proceed with court action.
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

Ncfc99

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 25):
I am sure people can still afford easyJet or Vueling.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather fly Easyjet, BA, TAP or whoever than FR, but they have served me well in the past and I will fly them again. If I can save £100 on a flight, that can pay for a hotel meaning I can have a holiday as opposed to not having a holiday, I am sufficiently financially challenged that £100 does make or break the deal at times. If I was on the plane I would be very annoyed. The issue I have with this forum is the contempt towards the passengers when FR spectacularly cock up, as it appears they have in this instance, because it not as simple for some pax as 'you get what you pay for', 'should have flown BA'.

aerdingus

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Quoting ZuluAlpha (Reply 26):
While watching the video one thing I noticed was there was no PA system in the aircraft when the police initially made their announcement or when the flight attendant was trying to relay instructions. I am after some guidance here. Do they not have an address system for the flight attendants to address or to make announcements?

Yeah there's two interphones in the fwd and aft galleys that are used as PAS. I was thinking too why they didn't put the copper on the blower, would have relayed the message to everybody easier.

You've obviously never flown on FR, we love our PAS... 

I really don't know what happened here, looks like a horrible situation for pax and crew.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

shufflemoomin

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Quoting ncfc99 (Reply 27):
Don't get me wrong, I would rather fly Easyjet, BA, TAP or whoever than FR, but they have served me well in the past and I will fly them again. If I can save £100 on a flight, that can pay for a hotel meaning I can have a holiday as opposed to not having a holiday, I am sufficiently financially challenged that £100 does make or break the deal at times. If I was on the plane I would be very annoyed. The issue I have with this forum is the contempt towards the passengers when FR spectacularly cock up, as it appears they have in this instance, because it not as simple for some pax as 'you get what you pay for', 'should have flown BA'.

Financially challenged people are the ones who usually choose Ryanair and, ironically enough, are the ones most likely to get screwed when they get dumped somewhere and can't afford a hotel or flight home with another carrier. Hope you've got good travel insurance.

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:39 pm

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 29):
Hope you've got good travel insurance.

Well try buying the Ryanair insurance...

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...air-easyjet-fined-travel-insurance

Italy has fined FR 850k euros and easyJet 200k euros. Competition watchdog says airlines misled customers, charged excessive fees and put obstacles in the way of making a claim.

The thing is Ryanair will always try to rip you off in a nasty way taking advantage of you not reading between the lines. Now they sell you insurance to cover your expenses in case of cancellations but that does not include an administrative fee nor the astronomical fees you will pay when you call the call center.

Toulouse

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Quoting ncfc99 (Reply 27):
The issue I have with this forum is the contempt towards the passengers when FR spectacularly cock up, as it appears they have in this instance, because it not as simple for some pax as 'you get what you pay for', 'should have flown BA

I couldn't agree more with you. I'm continuously flabbergasted how "some" people on here seem to blame the passengers on an FR flight when something goes wrong with FR. I have usually been fortunate enough to be able to avoid FR like the plague, and have only flown them once (a totally uneventful non-descript flight that served its purpose getting me on a last minute flight from DUB to MAD when both EI and IB were about €400 more for such a last-minute booking.
I have never liked the FR model, nor been an FR supporter, but I must admit only last week my wife flew with our 7 m/o baby (baby's first flight) from GRO to WRO and both the ground staff and apparently the cabin crew could not have been more helpful.

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 28):
I really don't know what happened here, looks like a horrible situation for pax and crew.

Very good point, we tend to forget the poor crew in these situations as well.
Long live Aer Lingus!

xdlx

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:32 pm

FR is fully capable to run a better operation. They CHOOSE NOT to do it.

Companies like this, and those that buy their product belong with each other. I ve flown them NOT BY CHOICE,
It only confirmed my doubts. NEVER AGAIN

sassiciai

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:12 pm

Having watched the video, I actually wonder what all the above ire and indignity is about this. Yes the cabin crew could perhaps have handled this better (but we only saw a small fraction of the events), and the flight crew could have put in an appearance (maybe they did, but we didnt see that). I suspect that Ryanair SOPs allow no initiative or discretion to crew members, and oblige them to follow the SOPs to the letter. Of course, breaking open the food & beverage carts would have been the sensible thing to do, but the SOP says otherwise!

Seems to me that the airport operator has the lion's share of responsibility for this mess. I don't think that letting 189 pax off a plane at 1am in the darkness, with the airport reportedly "closed", would have been a great move. What were the crew supposed to do in this case? While I feel for the passengers, I also feel for the crew.

Any thread with Ryanair as subject brings out a.net members who "hate" Ryanair and fill their posts with bitter vitriolic comments! I wonder what's their agenda. Especially those who claim to have never used the airline.

I use Ryanair, and I use Singapore Airlines, plus many between these two ends of the spectrum. So far with Ryanair, so good - touch wood! Ryanair is astonishingly good value for money when things go to plan or almost to plan, and my family members and I have had no bad experiences with them. Since the turn of the year, the baggage rules have been relaxed, and when you check-in on-line now, you get a boarding pass with an assigned seat number! That's a step forward in customer experience. Last point - we all hate the trumpeted call about beating scheduled arrival time - but each time we hear it, it's actually pointing out a truism! The most punctual airline in Europe, actually!

sassiciai

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Quoting xdlx (Reply 32):

In Europe, Ryanair is one of the largest airline operations, flying an astonishing 600 routes (as per their website), most of them daily, many of them multiple flights per day. High percentage of on-time arrivals and departures. Handling ever increasing numbers of aircraft, flights, destinations, passengers, with a very good safety record. So in my view, the airline already is very capable of running a good operation, and is doing so on a daily basis, delivered by a very professional work force on the ground and in the air. Better in my experience than many legacy carriers

I'm actually amused to find myself in defense of Ryanair, but feel it necessary in the face of many of the above blind negative comments. On the rare occasions that I use a bus, I am not surprised by the fact that when I buy my ticket, it is strictly for carriage between my entry and exit points. Same on the trains, so why should airline flights be different?

b747400erf

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Many people suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. Ryanair are just one of the companies good at exploiting that.

shamrock137

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 33):
Seems to me that the airport operator has the lion's share of responsibility for this mess.

In this case it wouldn't be Stansted airport itself, but whatever company Ryanair has contracts with to provide its ground handling. I think I herd the officer mention Swissport? The airport operators dont make decisions regarding delayed flights or whether or not to let passengers back into the terminal. Its up to the ground handling company to have enough people on staff to either let passengers back into the terminal, or escort them outside of security so they can arrange ground transportation. In the US at most operations, a minimum number of ground staff aren't allowed to leave until all flights have left the ground.
Time to spare? Go by air!

Birdwatching

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 35):
Stockholm Syndrome

I think you wanted to say Nyköping Syndrome. It's a 2 hour bus ride.

Soren   

[Edited 2014-02-20 11:59:40]
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Boeing77W

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:08 pm

This is a perfect example of the lack of time and investment in proper training for all those involved in the Ryanair operation. From crew and ops staff to handling agents. When things run smoothly, it's great. Get you from A to B on a cheap seat. However, as soon as something goes wrong the lack of support from the company and associated agencies just leads to problems. The facts are not known and who knows if we will ever find out, what I say is obviously based on the way the situation appears to have been dealt with.

Unless things have changed it would appear the company procedures for delays were not followed by the crew in this situation. Refreshments should be sold after 45 minutes of a delay. Passengers should be taken off the aircraft after two hours at the earliest and three hours at the latest. Depending on the reasons for the delay. This is written down. With regards to the 'soft' customer service skills, the Captain made a PA from behind the flight deck door. He should have been at the front, visible to the passengers and doing his best to resolve the situation. Not, apparently, hiding from them. This is also a BASIC CRM skill, support your crew at all times. The crew have a responsibility to the health and well being of their passengers and the most effective way to alleviate any situation is to work together, be visible, honest and upfront.

Having previously worked for a ground handling company, we were unable to leave until the last flight had departed and had been airborne for 20 minutes. I appreciate that this was a particularly challenging night in the UK with numerous diverts into Stansted which would have placed pressure on the handling companies. However, it would have taken just one member of staff to take the pax into the terminal and provide the required information. That member of staff could easily have been supported by a number of the crew. The required information should have come from Dublin with a decision made to cancel the flight and accommodate the passengers where available. If no hotels available, then at least in the terminal with something to make them as comfortable as possible. I'm aware of other major UK airports have sleeping bags, pillows and matts available for unique circumstances. Anyone know if this is the case at Stansted? Yes a cancellation is a nuisance but it's better to make a decision early on rather than let a situation escalate to the stage where the police need to be called.

Ultimately. Keeping passengers on board the aircraft against their will is illegal. In the past Captains have got into legal difficulties for doing such things.

[Edited 2014-02-20 12:22:02]

Western727

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:39 pm

The most punctual airline in Europe, actually!

Intriguing.

Quoting xdlx (Reply 32):

Sounds like FR is a well-run airline...except in IROPS. Let's not forget STN. Shouldn't they have contingencies in place for IROPS? While STN isn't huge, it still isn't a 2-gate, 15-daily-flights operation, either.
Jack @ AUS

tonyban

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:53 pm

I'm sure they had some lottery tickets and smokeless cigarettes to pass out !

sassiciai

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 35):
Ryanair are just one of the companies

Spelling & grammar police, anyone!  

Ryanair - with a public face mainly called MOL - seems to be a very well-run airline operation with a very particular PR approach, and a very cost-conscious operation. The airline operation, with +/- 300 B738s in daily use, each for 18 (?) hours per day, transports about 1,500,000 pax each week, that's like +200,000 per day.

Yes, Ryanair has a history of issues when things go wrong, there is a gradual increase in its commitment to passengers' rights over the years. MOL has stated in the past that the airline had very limited liabilities when it sold a ticket to get you from A to B. It is evident that its position is changing, and that it is becoming a more "friendly" airline from the cold and arrogant earlier position. What airline does not have black moments like this? If you operate 10 flights a day, and have one problem per week, how different is it to an airline that has 2,000 flights a dya, with one problem per week?

I have personal war stories of flights suffering from a variety of delays and problems (first keeping us bottled up in departure lounges for >12 hours with no explanation in Faro (French ATC strike in 1984 or 85) while on holiday in Portugal with 2 little children was the worst), with other less onerous experiences with BA, with AA, with SIA.

These operational issues hit all airlines, and it is indeed true that then the airline's individual approach becomes evident. That's why SIA scores so highly all the time. The SIA reaction to problems is so outstanding and proactive, it has always amazed me. With SIA, I've had delays due to weather and missed connection, late bags - the experience is so good that I almost want my bags to be late on my next flight!

Ryanair is not SIA - but its operations are very robust and effective. Its PR and customer-facing services are not!

timboflier215

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Shared on FB. Suggest you all do the same. Maybe if this gains enough traction they will tighten up their IROPS procedures.

Western727

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 2):
80k views on Youtube

Less than 24 hours after the above post, the figure is 310k. Seems like quite a bit of interest.
Jack @ AUS

Mir

Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Having watched the video, I actually wonder what all the above ire and indignity is about this.

Because passengers were stuck on a plane for almost four hours without air conditioning, food or water. That's just unacceptable.

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 37):
I think you wanted to say Nyköping Syndrome. It's a 2 hour bus ride.

Well, played, sir. Well played.   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PDX88

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Seems to me that the airport operator has the lion's share of responsibility for this mess.

Policy for both airport's I've worked at (and most airports if not all in the USA) is the security checkpoint remains open until the last departure of the night is pushed off the gate. Also, the exit at at the smaller airport I've worked at doesn't close until the last departure is off the ground and the last passenger off the last arrival is outside security. At PDX the exit is open 24/7.

Whoever decided to lock the doors to the terminal and go home with an active departure still on the ramp should be held partially responsible, and procedures need to be changed, or else it's possible for this situation to happen over and over. As poorly as this delay was handled by FR, I do feel for the crew that can't do anything when the door to the terminal is locked and the police have to actually "break in" (according to the video) to the terminal to let passengers in. Stansted airport operations dropped the ball here and I wouldn't be surprised to see FR file a lawsuit against the city for not having a terminal ready for their passengers and stranding them on the aircraft.

Boeing77W

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Quoting PDX88 (Reply 45):
Whoever decided to lock the doors to the terminal and go home with an active departure still on the ramp should be held partially responsible, and procedures need to be changed, or else it's possible for this situation to happen over and over. As poorly as this delay was handled by FR, I do feel for the crew that can't do anything when the door to the terminal is locked and the police have to actually "break in" (according to the video) to the terminal to let passengers in.

I'm very dubious about this. All access points from the terminal to ramp are electronically controlled by ID card. All STN based FR crew have the capability to access the terminal, I doubt this crew were STN based due to the time of the departure, however the airport Police have the required ID card. The cards aren't locked out at night. The alarm in the video sounding is not because the police have 'broken in'. It's because a door has been left open for an extended period of time, note it's not sounding at the start of the internal scenes.

[Edited 2014-02-20 15:37:29]

HAWK21M

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 am

What if a pax wants to go home at the departure airport itself and has no checked in bags.....
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

PM

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 am

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 12):
Never flown with FR and definitely never will.

Quoting cipango (Reply 8):
I completely disagree. Yes FR are a cheap airline and the definition of "no-frills" but no human being deserves to be treated this way
Quoting Phen (Reply 14):
I completely agree. FR's treatment of its passengers here is downright ridiculous

Delta777Jet

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:43 pm

I wonder what would have happened to someone open the emergency exit and just leave ? Perhaps the blame would be then fully on them, frightened by the strict UK laws. In my opinion this is clearly fault of the captain. He is the boss on board and he is responsible for his passengers and he is the one to order the handling agent right back to the aircraft door, order the flights attendants to hand out water on his authorization, overriding company policies if needed in such situations. Looks like they were also frightened. How much can cost couple of bottles of water ?
717/722/732/733/735/736/73G/739/739/741/742/743/744/748/74L/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/77L/788/789/781/DC10/L10/L15/M80/M90/320/321/319/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/T54/IL18/AT4/AT7/DH1/DH3/DH4/E145/170/1790/Bae146/RJ85/F50/F70/100/CR2/CR7/CR9

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos