Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Air Crash Investigation: QF32 Accident

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Air Crash Investigation (also known as Mayday) today released an episode about QF32, the Qantas A380 "Nancy Bird-Walton" which suffered an uncontained engine failure in November 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usK2kcj7BHg

Enough watching (and please note, these episodes are sometimes a bit over dramatized).
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Zkpilot

RE: Air Crash Investigation: QF32 Accident

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:50 am

In the video it portrays the capt and FO doing almost everything themselves. They did a great job however both the Check Captains and the SO were all involved in getting this aircraft down safely.
Also it is important to note that information was relayed by the cabin crew (which wasn't shown in the video).
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

Cactus739

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:43 am

I know the recreations on this show are usually pretty poor but this one out and out sucked.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

AirlineCritic

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:21 am

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed watching this. I do recommend the book by the captain, however, it is an excellent read and has far more detail about what they did.

Quoting KarelXWB (Thread starter):
please note, these episodes are sometimes a bit over dramatized

You think?  "Titanic of the skies". Wow.

kaitak

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 am

Quoting cactus739 (Reply 2):
I know the recreations on this show are usually pretty poor but this one out and out sucked.

I didn't think it was that bad; they didn't include the second check captain (who was checking the check captain), but he probably didn't want to be involved in the program; what could they do?

They did put effort into recreating the cockpit, much moreso than in previous episodes, where the representations were somewhat laughable.

I thought it was watchable, interesting and informative.

womenbeshopping

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:10 pm

I did not mind the episode....although if you are looking for a good watch on QF 32, then Four Corners did a fantastic job. It is worth a watch, it has all the check captains, richard and matt, and the SO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHb9gjOFEbA

na

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:37 pm

What accident? No one was hurt, the plane is still flying, QF32 was no accident.

bueb0g

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Quoting na (Reply 6):
What accident? No one was hurt, the plane is still flying, QF32 was no accident.

QF32 was an accident... An accident is defined as either when someone is injured or killed, OR when the aircraft sustains such damage that it affects the performance or structural integrity of the aircraft and requires repair work, except for when the damage is associated with an engine failure and is limited to the engine alone (ICAO annex 13). The QF32 uncontained engine failure extensively damaged the aircraft and required a repair job costing over $100 million. The ATSB also classed it as an accident, because the aircraft sustained "significant damage to the aircraft structure and systems".

[Edited 2014-02-21 06:46:28]
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

Nwafan20

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Quoting na (Reply 6):

Aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage....

Substantial damage means damage or failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance, or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component. Engine failure or damage limited to an engine if only one engine fails or is damaged, bent fairings or cowling, dented skin, small punctured holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or wingtips are not considered “substantial damage” for the purpose of this part.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...node=49:7.1.4.1.12;idno=49;cc=ecfr

Uncontained engine failure = substantial damage

vhtje

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Those are the worst Australian accents I have ever heard. Couldn't they have paid more for better actors?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

NDiesel

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:04 pm

Quoting womenbeshopping (Reply 5):

I did not mind the episode....although if you are looking for a good watch on QF 32, then Four Corners did a fantastic job. It is worth a watch, it has all the check captains, richard and matt, and the SO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHb9g...OFEbA

Really liked this episode. Thanks for the link!
Delta MD-11 JFK-CDG - Upon sunrise I fell in love with aviation

CaptainKramer

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:04 pm

I was a little surprised to see Air Crash Investigation covered QF32. I knew a News Producer, who's Wife worked on the show and he said that in the past the Producers would only select Air Crashes that involved fatalities. Since Air Crash Investigation also covered BA38, they obviously have relaxed the rule.

The title of the QF32 episode "Titanic of the Skies" is a little overdramatic to say the least. Past Air Crash Investigation episodes, have also been a bit selective with information to over dramatise the threat.

For instance one show covered a Super Puma Helicopter, which crashed into the North Sea as a result of vibrations induced by an imbalance in the tail boom after a carbon fibre tail rotor was struck by lightning. It went onto mention the A380 which is made up of about 25% carbon fibre composites, but made no mention of the B787, which is made up of about 50% carbon fibre composites. Nor did they mention how composites were imbeded with a metallic mesh, which acts as a conduit for the lightning strike to safely pass through the aircraft superstructure.

cougar15

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Quoting vhtje (Reply 9):
Those are the worst Australian accents I have ever heard. Couldn't they have paid more for better actors?

Well, even worse were the PSA 737-200 and the AF A320 parked next to the QF A380 at SIN!!! Coincidentally, that PSA 732 seems to be parked next to the ANZ A320 in France in the previous Episode aswell.

Now dearest production Team, we appreciate your Budget cuts, but these are Computer generated Images and it´s about time you did something about that pink PSA 732, as I would bet my right leg that such a bird never meet either of the above 2 QF/NZ Birds in this Dimension!
Engineblowup shots are nice though, sorta how I would imagine such an Event, now if only they could get the other birds on the ramp right, it would be kinda berable!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos