Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PMUA787
Topic Author

Prospects For New Service At ELP

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:49 pm

I am moving down to Las Cruces, NM from Boise in the next week and have been flying in and out of ELP over the last month. It seems to be a nice smaller airport with service from the legacies and WN. Any prospects for additional service or new airlines (G4, NK, one of emerging Mexican LCC's?)

mtnwest1979

RE: Prospects For New Service At ELP

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:55 pm

I would assume in this day and age and with the amount of service from "all" the biggies (there are so many lol), that the ELP service should be fairly stable and not change too much. Maybe an add here and there and a deletion here and there.
I like the ELP airport as it seems quiet for the size of area it serves.

Now for the real query: Why would you move from Boise to Las Cruces?
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

FlyPeoria

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:03 pm

IIRC, WN cut service after ELP raised its landing fees a few years back.

FlyingSicilian

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Quoting FlyPeoria (Reply 2):

Seems like it. I used to fly MAF-ELP or vice versa for some intra biz trip travel and now that is not an option.

Seems AA is lonely over in their own finger of the terminal. Might they move over to the fuller side? Not sure if there is room for their big airplane model though LOL.
Glad to see a USO open past security, albeit a very small one. Nice people staff it.

I'm not a fan of the CBP dragnet/TSA interaction there however.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

BCEaglesCO757

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:46 pm

My wife is from Southern California and was living in ELP when I met her.

I used to fly out on thst last CO 37-500 that would RON and spend my days off with her.

Now ? I'd do anything to see us return a few mainline flights in and out of there with the
new United.

That goes double for MOB where my mom lives. As a kid we did that BOS-ATL-MOB-ATL-BOS
on Eastern. All mainline. But that's another thread......

[Edited 2014-02-23 12:47:25]

[Edited 2014-02-23 12:47:54]

[Edited 2014-02-23 12:56:17]

FlyingSicilian

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Quoting BCEaglesCO757 (Reply 4):
I used to fly out on thst last CO 37-500 that would RON and spend my days off eith her.

I'd connect to the 737-500 out of IAH often. I miss that also. If I can't get the seat 12A or at least an A seat up front I fly WN via HOU
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

BCEaglesCO757

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 5):

No kidding buddy. All the ELP-IAH-ELP seem to stay packed year round it seems.

[Edited 2014-02-23 12:57:15]

PMUA787
Topic Author

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 3):
Seems AA is lonely over in their own finger of the terminal. Might they move over to the fuller side? Not sure if there is room for their big airplane model though LOL.

Does ELP have an FIS over in the AA finger of the terminal and did ELP have regular international service at one time?

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 1):
Now for the real query: Why would you move from Boise to Las Cruces?

Its a corporate relocation for my wife who is a flight nurse for an air medical transport company called Air Methods. Fortunately for me I am able to telecommute with my employer in the SEA area quite easily. Just need a good wifi connection.

ScottB

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Quoting PMUA787 (Thread starter):
Any prospects for additional service or new airlines (G4, NK, one of emerging Mexican LCC's?)

Mexican LCC service is unlikely due to the proximity of CJS and heavy taxes & fees for the privilege of clearing customs & immigration at the airport. There might be an off chance of G4 coming into ELP to serve MCO, but the most obvious of their "destination" cities (LAS, PHX/AZA, LAX) are already served non-stop by WN, US/AA to PHX & LAX, and UA to LAX seasonally.

Quoting BCEaglesCO757 (Reply 4):
Now ? I'd do anything to see us return a few mainline flights in and out of there with the
new United.

Seems unlikely as the "new" United is generally uninterested in the domestic mainline operation.

Beechtobus

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:21 pm

"

Quoting PMUA787 (Thread starter):

Any prospects for additional service or new airlines (G4, NK, one of emerging Mexican LCC's?)"

If NK can stay in growth mode I'm sure it's a matter of when, not if they will serve ELP. They have much bigger holes to fill for now, but I'm sure once they hit more Midwest cities (STL, MCI, OKC, CVG, CLE), Mid Atlantic cities (CLT, ORF), some Southern cities (MEM, BNA, SDF, JAX) and a few larger western cities that they're lacking (SEA, SLC, SJC, SMF, RNO), then we may see cities like ELP, ABQ, TUS, GEG, etc get added to the route map. But I probably wouldn't hold my breath at least for another 4 or 5 years.

[Edited 2014-02-24 09:22:03]

PMUA787
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:16 pm

What would be real convenient would be someone like G4 restoring commercial service at LRU. I believe there has not been service there since the late 70's - early 80's when Zia Airways went out business. One can always dream.

KELPkid

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:25 pm

Quoting PMUA787 (Reply 7):
Does ELP have an FIS over in the AA finger of the terminal and did ELP have regular international service at one time?

Yep, probably with a layer of dust about a foot thick on everything now   There used to be FIS in the rotunda on the B concourse, too, when CO had the focus city (and Mexico flights) in effect.

BTW: To answer the original question: F9 could easily pick off the market WN is ignoring: mainline DEN-ELP . Why WN hasn't added that to their network is anyone's guess. The O&D numbers probably aren't great enough, but the connecting opportunities at DEN are boundless, and I suspect that if WN tried it, they would get huge reams of El Pasoans connecting on to other points in their network...  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

KELPkid

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Quoting PMUA787 (Reply 10):
What would be real convenient would be someone like G4 restoring commercial service at LRU. I believe there has not been service there since the late 70's - early 80's when Zia Airways went out business. One can always dream.

LRU would need some serious infrastructure work. If an airliner sized aircraft lands there, the only way off the runways is to back taxi them....take it from a former lineboy (who worked MC Hammer's private 727 when they landed there for a concert at the Pan Am center!). Although the runways can handle the wheel loads, the taxiways don't have clearance for the wing tips, and the fuel farm can't hold enough Jet-A for regular jet ops  

SANFan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 8):
the most obvious of their "destination" cities (LAS, PHX/AZA, LAX) are already served non-stop by WN, US/AA to PHX & LAX, and UA to LAX seasonally

I have a hope that someone with perhaps a smaller a/c would fill the void between ELP and SAN after WN axed the route last fall; the market sees (at least thru 3Q13) about 75 PDEW and should still be able to support a CRJ or similar. (Or less than daily service on a larger plane?)

I think WN just didn't want to tie up a 737 on a route of that size but that doesn't mean there isn't a way for someone to right-size the existing traffic with a suitable airplane. The carrier that seemed most probable (to me anyway) has not made a move and I don't know if anyone else might try it.

bb

AAtakeMeAway

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 12):
who worked MC Hammer's private 727 when they landed there for a concert at the Pan Am center!

Nice ... Pan Am always did get the best concerts (at least back in the day, who knows now) compared to ELP venues

Western727

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:42 pm

I recall some saying in another thread that WN's service at ELP may be further cut once the Wright Amendment (as it exists today) ends in October, since direct flights out of DAL to, say, LAS, PHX, LAX, etc. will be possible thereafter without stopovers in ELP, LBB, ABQ and others. I wonder what impact, if any, this will have on ELP, WN and otherwise.
Jack @ AUS

mtnwest1979

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Quoting PMUA787 (Reply 10):

Mesa Airlines flew in there in the 1990s. And after they left, I seem to think there was another try by someone with PC12s. I think Westward Airways when they did the ABQ hub fr a short stint.

Mesa from June 2000:

http://www.departedflights.com/YV040200.jpg

[Edited 2014-02-24 15:02:22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westward_Airways_(Nebraska)

added Mesa map and wikipedia for Westward.

[Edited 2014-02-24 15:04:10]
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

PMUA787
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:19 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 11):
BTW: To answer the original question: F9 could easily pick off the market WN is ignoring: mainline DEN-ELP . Why WN hasn't added that to their network is anyone's guess. The O&D numbers probably aren't great enough, but the connecting opportunities at DEN are boundless, and I suspect that if WN tried it, they would get huge reams of El Pasoans connecting on to other points in their network...

It was disappointing to not see ELP on the list of new cities that F9 announced today. The only airline that does ELP-DEN is UA and the largest equipment they fly is the CRJ-700 but most of the time it is a ERJ-145 as I have experienced lately. Wish UA would have non-stops to SFO at least going westbound.

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 12):
LRU would need some serious infrastructure work. If an airliner sized aircraft lands there, the only way off the runways is to back taxi them....take it from a former lineboy (who worked MC Hammer's private 727 when they landed there for a concert at the Pan Am center!). Although the runways can handle the wheel loads, the taxiways don't have clearance for the wing tips, and the fuel farm can't hold enough Jet-A for regular jet ops  

Also I imagine NIMBY's in the affluent Picacho Hills Golf Club neighborhood northeast of LRU would come out of the woodwork and raise holy hell with the city if some airline was going to start service with a relatively quiet Q400 much less one of G4's Mad Dogs or new to them Airbus 319/320's. But I have seen stranger things happen in this industry.

glbltrvlr

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:50 am

Quoting FlyPeoria (Reply 2):

And it's going to get much worse when the Wright Amendment changes kick in this October.

JBAirwaysFan

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:57 am

Delta's small presence at ELP has consistently been mainline. Maybe a CRJ-900 rotated in here or there on one of their flights but always at least one mainline on the schedule to ATL. I know they used to do DFW-ELP back when they had the DFW hub too, but ELP is a mainline only station for DL as of now. 2x A319s today.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

deltal1011man

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 am

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 19):

I would really like to see SLC-ELP on a CR7 or CR9

KELPkid

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:13 am

Quoting PMUA787 (Reply 17):
Also I imagine NIMBY's in the affluent Picacho Hills Golf Club neighborhood northeast of LRU would come out of the woodwork and raise holy hell with the city if some airline was going to start service with a relatively quiet Q400 much less one of G4's Mad Dogs or new to them Airbus 319/320's. But I have seen stranger things happen in this industry.

The only approach that would take you over Picacho Hills is a straight-in for RWY 22. The ILS is on RWY 30, which would take you in over Stahmann Farms/Mesilla...and LRU is blessed with quite a bit of geographic separation from the city it serves, being up on the mesa and all   IIRC, the Picacho Hills area is still about 3-4 statute miles out from the airport.

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 20):
I would really like to see SLC-ELP on a CR7 or CR9

Back in 2000-2003, they still had 727's on the SLC-ELP route (one of the last routes before DL retired them), and now, nothing  

glbltrvlr

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:03 pm

Quoting Western727 (Reply 15):
I wonder what impact, if any, this will have on ELP, WN and otherwise.

I'm told LBB, ELP and MAF will see significant WN reductions. ABQ not so much.

usdcaguy

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:12 pm

I wonder about ELP-SLC on DL. Western flew ELP-SLC for years, even with major DEN flying from UA, CO and the old Frontier. If WN cuts much out west, that could be an opportunity for DL.

georgiabill

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Would KELP be a city that would be considered for nonstop service during the next round of beyond perimeter slots from KDCA? Perhaps WN or AA? At one time a large military presence in the KELP area.

KELPkid

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 23):
I wonder about ELP-SLC on DL. Western flew ELP-SLC for years, even with major DEN flying from UA, CO and the old Frontier. If WN cuts much out west, that could be an opportunity for DL.

Western (then DL) used to fly about 50% of the SLC flights as SLC-ABQ-ELP, and was thus able to catch some of the local ABQ-ELP traffic. I think when NMDOT raised the speed limit on I-25 from 65 MPH to 75 MPH, this just about killed any chances of ELP-ABQ working again on any airline, as you can just set the cruise conrtol at 80 now 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos