Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyiguy
Topic Author

American Drops Bereavement Fares

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:58 pm

American Airlines has ended its policy of extending special fares to passengers who must book a last-minute flight because of a relative's death.

Heres the Link: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/na...html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DCBrand

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

JetBuddy

RE: American Drops Bereavement Fares

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:02 pm

I read "beverage fares" and thought they would offer free drinks. I don't even know if they charge for that now.  

But it's kind of sad that the bereavement fares are dropped, since their walk up fares are very high (according to the article).

airbazar

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 pm

I didn't think these still existed. The last time I had to use a bereavement fare was some 14 years ago.

a380787

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Maybe too much fraud and abuse ?

93Sierra

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

I used one this past October , flying Phx-Ord-Fnt and back and got a screaming deal. All was that was needed , name of deceased and hospital and relationship. I though it was very nice of AA to still offer these, Delta had some
But it was more of a waving of some fees etc, nothing like what AA was offering.

EricR

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:22 pm

This was to align AA with US's bereavement policy (or lack thereof).

william

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Bereavement fares were not that much of a discount against the Y fares. Will not be missed.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:46 pm

These are situations where I end up using points if the fares are high.

RamblinMan

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Airline: "Our walk-up fares are high because they are mostly being bought by business travelers who can afford to pay them (er, more accurately, their employers can.)"
20th century mentality: People traveling because of a death shouldn't be lumped in with those business travelers, let's cut them a break as long as they can verify it.
21st century mentality: Oh, a customer is in a jam...let's see how much money we can extract from them.

longhauler

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Air Canada doesn't offer a bereavement discount. What they will do is refund the difference in fare (if any) between what you did pay, and what the cheapest fare offered was on that flight at any time. This is usually done after you fly, and after providing sufficient documentation.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

readytotaxi

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:32 pm

I remember reading that BA were offering something similar after the Boxing Day Tsunami,just for a short period.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Cactus739

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:43 pm

I didn't know anyone still offeredt these. My fath passed away suddenly in October And a flight the next morning XNA LGA RDU cost me $555 one way.

Does any US carrier still have bereavement fares?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

GentFromAlaska

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Quoting william (Reply 6):
Bereavement fares were not that much of a discount against the Y fares. Will not be missed.

Bereavement fares as I knew them where deep discounted "Y" fares which allowed changes. There were more to them than just price when compared to the super saver fare. NW lead the way offering some 70% off when compared to their full coach fare.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

SJUSXM

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:59 pm

Quoting cactus739 (Reply 12):
Does any US carrier still have bereavement fares?

UA I believe
AT7, ER3, ER4, ER5, CR7, E70, E75, F100, M82, M83, 722, 732, 738, 752, 762, 763, AB6, 320, 321, 772, 77W

crosswinds21

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Quoting sjusxm (Reply 14):
UA I believe

UA has a 5% discount, I believe, which isn't very much.

AA was much different. AA had a fixed bereavement fare for pretty much any city pair. In order to book it, a certain fare class ("V" I believe) to be available on all segments. The fixed bereavement fares were a HUGE discount off a full Y fares (something like $500 round trip on a relatively long flight, even if it involved connections to small, expensive airports). These fares were also refundable and changeable without penalty. In certain cases, where AA had last minute specials available, the bereavement fares weren't really much of a deal (other than their flexibility) and in some cases were more expensive. But in most scenarios, they were quite good deals and AA was very generous.

That said, I do know from people at AA that one the one had these fares were extremely appreciated by people who needed them, but that on the other hand, they were abused all the time. For example, I would hear stories that around the Christmas holidays every year, there would always seem to be a huge rise in the amount of people dying in the Caribbean.

AT

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 8):
Airline: "Our walk-up fares are high because they are mostly being bought by business travelers who can afford to pay them (er, more accurately, their employers can.)"
20th century mentality: People traveling because of a death shouldn't be lumped in with those business travelers, let's cut them a break as long as they can verify it.
21st century mentality: Oh, a customer is in a jam...let's see how much money we can extract from them.

Well said.

Quoting longhauler (Reply 10):
Air Canada doesn't offer a bereavement discount. What they will do is refund the difference in fare (if any) between what you did pay, and what the cheapest fare offered was on that flight at any time. This is usually done after you fly, and after providing sufficient documentation.

That is the perfect way to do it. I am fine with them doing it after the fact (pay full fare now, get credit later) and demanding a VERY high level of proof (to minimize fraud). But asking someone who must travel last-minute for a funeral to pay the same fare as a last-minute business traveler is unsavory.

SuseJ772

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:30 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 2):

I didn't think these still existed. The last time I had to use a bereavement fare was some 14 years ago.

I know we tried to use one with Delta in August and the only thing that was "special" about it was that we could change with out a fee.

Quoting 93Sierra (Reply 4):
Delta had some
But it was more of a waving of some fees etc, nothing like what AA was offering.

Yep.

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 7):
These are situations where I end up using points if the fares are high.

That's what I ended up doing as well.

I have agreed with just about everything the airline industry has done from a business perspective. Bag fees. Changes in Frequent Flyer programs. No meals in domestic. All this made good business sense, wasn't morally wrong, and didn't really change the service an airline provides (getting you from point A to point B). But I agree with you here 100%. Very well said.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

PA110

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Quoting crosswinds21 (Reply 15):
That said, I do know from people at AA that one the one had these fares were extremely appreciated by people who needed them, but that on the other hand, they were abused all the time. For example, I would hear stories that around the Christmas holidays every year, there would always seem to be a huge rise in the amount of people dying in the Caribbean.

There used to be considerable fraud, particularly in some ethnic markets. Come high season, people were dropping like flies. it's a wonder there was anyone still left alive around the holidays. Sometimes, the same grandfather died every year for five years in a row. Once airlines stopped providing upfront discounts and required notarized death certificates, the mortality rate improved dramatically.

[Edited 2014-02-27 10:50:06]
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

VC10er

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Due to the sudden death of my mother, pre merger UA gave my parter a ride next to me in business (I was flying in business full fare) for free. They said the seat was open anyway. I had to mail them a death cert ASAP - but I thought that move on UA's part was amazing. And my partner was male!

About 4 years ago.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

ozark1

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Just curious. Did they require a death certificate like they did in the Seinfeld episode? How does someone prove they are bereaved?

crosswinds21

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 17):
There used to be a massive amount of fraud, particularly in some ethnic markets. Come high season, people were dropping like flies in Fiji's Indian community. it's a wonder there was anyone still left alive around the holidays. Sometimes, the same grandfather died every year for five years in a row. Once airlines stopped providing upfront discounts and required certified death certificates, the mortality rate improved dramatically.

Indeed. But it's interesting that with AA, they still never required death certificates to book bereavement fares upfront (they were only required to get a refund on a ticket when someone died). This was always surprising to me. Like someone already mentioned, all that AA asked for is the name of the deceased and an address and phone number of the funeral home or hospital. Occasionally, they would call to verify, but rarely.

csavel

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Not surprised and as others have pointed out the bereavement fares were no great favors. Stepdad died just before Christmas (admittedly a difficult time to be going to FLA) and the best bereavement fare on DL was 100.00 off full fare and I had to stop in ATL to change planes to get to PBI. So why bother?

and they would require the death certificate to be faxed. I had no idea, but apparently funeral parlors fax this to airlines as a matter of course since it is quite common.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

displane

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:57 pm

Quoting AT (Reply 15):

Yup. Used to work in reservations for an airline that didn't offer it. It's amazing how many deaths in the family there are around the holidays. Some were genuine and difficult to deal with, crying over the phone. Others were ridiculous and pathetic- one wanted a bereavement fare two weeks from date of call.

RP TPA

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:31 am

Years ago we used to have to speak with the hospital or doctor to verify that the "bereavement" was indeed true. One time this guy with a Carribean accent calls to book a flight. He said the name of the hospital was "Mary Brown Hospital" He gave me the phine number, I called, and a guy with a very similar accent answered "Hello....Mary Brown Hospital". That particular city had a large Carribean population, so I didn't think anything about it. I hung up, but realized I forgot to ask something. Called right back, and the same guy answers "Hello?"...in other words, not with the hospital name. He was probably tipped off by the initial caller to answer "Mary Brown Hospital" in order to make it sound legit. I called directory assistance for that city, and asked for the number for "MB Hospital". Naturally, the operator found no hospitals under that name. She did, however, find a listing for a "Mary Brown fried chicken restaurant". I thanked her, and documented the file accordingly.

rampart

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:34 am

Quoting suseJ772 (Reply 16):
I know we tried to use one with Delta in August and the only thing that was "special" about it was that we could change with out a fee.

That's better than nothing, and could be quite useful.

Quoting AT (Reply 15):
Quoting longhauler (Reply 10):

That is the perfect way to do it. I am fine with them doing it after the fact (pay full fare now, get credit later) and demanding a VERY high level of proof (to minimize fraud). But asking someone who must travel last-minute for a funeral to pay the same fare as a last-minute business traveler is unsavory.

I agree. I think it's a nice gesture for the airline to offer something of a meaningful discount. If fraud is the problem, the post-travel reimbursement seems workable.

Quoting displane (Reply 22):
Yup. Used to work in reservations for an airline that didn't offer it. It's amazing how many deaths in the family there are around the holidays. Some were genuine and difficult to deal with, crying over the phone. Others were ridiculous and pathetic- one wanted a bereavement fare two weeks from date of call.

A number of serious illnesses and deaths in the family happen around college final exam time as well. Or midterms right before Spring Break.  

-Rampart

Yflyer

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 am

Quoting crosswinds21 (Reply 14):
In certain cases, where AA had last minute specials available, the bereavement fares weren't really much of a deal

When my grandfather passed away a few years ago I looked into bereavement fares on Delta, which like others have mentioned was just a discount on the full Y fare, and still not that cheap. I was able to find the exact same flights as a last minute deal on Priceline for much cheaper.

I was not aware of the "special" AA fare class at the time, but AA wouldn't have been very useful for this particular itinerary anyway.

prosa

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting PA110 (Reply 17):
. Once airlines stopped providing upfront discounts and required notarized death certificates, the mortality rate improved dramatically.

Sort of like when the IRS began requiring single parents who claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit to provide the Social Security numbers of their children. Tens of thousands of children mysteriously "disappeared" by the next tax year.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Bereavment fares where a nice touch, but as said ripe for fraud and abuse.

The question then becomes where do you draw the line? There are many situations, that in fact some are more time critical than bereavements that require someone to travel last minute somewhere.

Usually situations where someone gets critically injured, a child-birth, housefire, etc. are equally as important for someone to travel "on the next possible flights. Bereavments, yes you want to get there and on short notice, but sometimes you may have a few days to make plans.

In these types of "must-go" situations, price is secondary to just getting there.

AT

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 27):

Bereavment fares where a nice touch, but as said ripe for fraud and abuse.

The question then becomes where do you draw the line? There are many situations, that in fact some are more time critical than bereavements that require someone to travel last minute somewhere.

Usually situations where someone gets critically injured, a child-birth, housefire, etc. are equally as important for someone to travel "on the next possible flights. Bereavments, yes you want to get there and on short notice, but sometimes you may have a few days to make plans.

In these types of "must-go" situations, price is secondary to just getting there.

Agree completely.

I like the Air Canada model (see above) the most. Pay the published fare upfront; then, following the trip, file the appropriate claims and proof and be refunded the difference between what you paid and the lowest (or median?) fare on that flight. That way those who really need the help would still get it, and fraud would be minimized.

Also, are bereavement fares currently restricted to first-degree or other family members? And do you have to establish proof of relationship to the deceased?

Pohakuloa

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Living here in the islands it is not uncommon for us to travel for funerals in one day trips, ie. fly out in the morning, return in the afternoon. I usually fly HA or WP depending on what island I'm heading to and because I am also a passenger who takes 1.5 seats, I call up reservations because I dont try to pay for one knowing good and well I dont fit in one and booking on the internet can be a hassle with admittedly not knowing proper internet booking procedures for the second seat res., but I digress....

When flying for funeral, I dont come right out and ask if there are any discounts, I usually just give them my times and when they see its a same day trip, two seat reservation they usually ask why such a quick trip, I mention going for a funeral and need to get back so a day trip is necessary. I havent searched for nor asked for any type of discount, but when traveling for funeral and the reservation agent asks and is aware, it seems that the second seat I get is far more discounted than even I expected it to be. last time I traveled I got a round trip all in fare of $139 which I thought was more than reasonable. Other time just traveling for business or a getaway I am paying over $300, so whether it officially exists or not at HA, it really goes a long way to keeping a passenger loyal. Now in Hawaii some might think we dont have much of a choice, but we do even if the choices aren't that great for alternatives.

I get why AA is dropping the fares as business is business and with going to one standard with a merger, so be it. I have never flew on AA metal personally, but that's really only because for fare/destination in my circumstance, it has never fit the grander scale for my needs. I do hope AA will continue to have favorable fares for military though as sometimes that's the only way my brother is able to come home here to visit as he says he gets a great rate through AA from the east coast home.
Fast cars and 'Jet A' - such a sweet smell!

AR385

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:37 pm

There are always those that are going to try to take advantage of things. I want to still hope those are still in the minority.

My best buddy´s father passed away here in MTY when he was in Boston, studying at Harvard Med. By lucky timing I was also in Boston on business. It wasn´t unexpected, he had a massive multiform Glioblastoma but still when the end came even with the bereavement fare one of his aunts had to pay for his airfare.

I guess since the bereavement fare does not make that much of a difference according to what I have read here, then it becomes a matter of it being a good will generator for the company. From that point of view, I don´t think it´s a good idea to do away with it.

Is there a way to quantify the $$ lost in goodwill vs the $$ gained by doing away with such fares?

flyfree727

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:07 am

Curious... What other business offer some sort of 'bereavement" discount?

Hotels? florists? rental cars? Department stores? etc?

I have known of these fares being offered at airlines, but wonder if any other businesses offer them.

AA ORD

Viscount724

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:16 am

Quoting longhauler (Reply 9):

That doesn't seem to quite agree with AC's related information in their website which does refer to "discounts" on certain unrestricted fares:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/bereavement.html

mariner

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:16 am

Quoting flyfree727 (Reply 31):
Curious... What other business offer some sort of 'bereavement" discount?

Hotels? florists? rental cars? Department stores? etc?

I'm with you. It's anyone's choice to go to a funeral - why should the airline subsidise it?

mariner
aeternum nauta

AT

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:31 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 33):
I'm with you. It's anyone's choice to go to a funeral - why should the airline subsidise it?

because of the advance purchase requirement- you have to book early to get a better fare.
With funerals, you can't plan or book early, so the model doesn't work.

I agree an airline is a business and they are not obligated to offer such fares. But it is entirely reasonable to offer additional flexibility to passengers in genuine need.

mariner

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:45 am

Quoting AT (Reply 34):
because of the advance purchase requirement- you have to book early to get a better fare.
With funerals, you can't plan or book early, so the model doesn't work.

Yes, I know that.

I spent quite a lot of money, twice, flying SFO-LHR to see my mother when she was dying, which is when I might have appreciated a discount. When the person has died, I don't see the point of a discount.

I don't mean to sound like Hard-Hearted Hannah, but when my father died I could not get back in time for his funeral. I'd gone bush and my family wasn't able to contact me.

Dad didn't seem to mind.

mariner

[Edited 2014-02-28 18:51:35]
aeternum nauta

AR385

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:12 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 35):
I don't mean to sound like Hard-Hearted Hannah, but when my father died I could not get back in time for his funeral. I'd gone bush and my family wasn't able to contact me.

Dad didn't seem to mind.

Of course not. Funerals and wakes, are all about the people that are left behind, alive.

jmc1975

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:41 pm

The airline didn't cause the death of individual(s), therefore they have no obligation to reduce fares for someone that claims to have a death in the family that may or may not be legitimate. Reduced fare for 'bereavement' means reduced revenue for the airline. Requiring verification of death (and the necessary follow-through associated with it) adds additional cost to the airline and takes up resources that could be used in helping another customer.

Quoting crosswinds21 (Reply 14):
I do know from people at AA that one the one had these fares were extremely appreciated by people who needed them, but that on the other hand, they were abused all the time. For example, I would hear stories that around the Christmas holidays every year, there would always seem to be a huge rise in the amount of people dying in the Caribbean.
Quoting displane (Reply 22):

These are classic examples of why AA is smart to walk-away from what may have seemed like a compassionate way of doing business. There are scam artists all over our planet looking to abuse goodwill.

milesrich

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Quoting EricR (Reply 5):
This was to align AA with US's bereavement policy (or lack thereof).

And the story fed to the press and public was that American was taking over US Airways. Folks this is America West nka American Airlines. Pretty sad if you ask me. And Delta will be laughing all the way to the bank. American, at one time, had a competitive edge, especially out of NYC to major destinations, but that will be no more.

jmc1975

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Quoting milesrich (Reply 38):
American, at one time, had a competitive edge, especially out of NYC to major destinations, but that will be no more.

By no means does a lack of a bereavement fare policy give any airline a lack of competitive edge in the grand scheme of things. AA/US combined once again gives American that competitive edge that you speak, which would not have otherwise happened.

Q

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:15 pm

It's stupid that is not respectful to the family who passed away to hurt financial problem fares last minute fly to point to point nowhere other airline have serve there. Thanks American Airlines is stealing money for nothing. I won't fly AA again!

Q

FlyboyOz

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:18 pm

Air Canada does offer bereavement fares but it's just a little less than original airfare and don't bother to waste time to fill the form and give a certificate to Air Canada.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

jmc1975

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Quoting Q (Reply 40):
Thanks American Airlines is stealing money for nothing. I won't fly AA again!

...said no Spirit Airlines passenger ever.

rwy04lga

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:16 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 3):
Maybe too much fraud and abuse ?
Quoting jmc1975 (Reply 37):
There are scam artists all over our planet looking to abuse goodwill.

Same with the 'service animals'. What percentage are really needed for the passengers' emotional comfort and what percentage are scam artists trying to avoid the required PIC fee?
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

ikramerica

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:28 am

Yes, if you have miles use them. I did so on AA for dad's wife's funeral. Had to change flights 3 times, no fees. And This was using last minute saaver awards F LAX-JFK on the A321, Y back on the 762
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

SJUSXM

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:11 am

Quoting milesrich (Reply 38):
And the story fed to the press and public was that American was taking over US Airways. Folks this is America West nka American Airlines. Pretty sad if you ask me. And Delta will be laughing all the way to the bank. American, at one time, had a competitive edge, especially out of NYC to major destinations, but that will be no more.

So US is adopting AA's policy for meals as well as their catering
So US is implementing Main Cabin Extra Premium Y seating
So US is taking AA's Sabre CRS
So US is taking AA's name and branding

And AA is adopting US Airways bereavement fare policy

It's a merger, somethings will come from each airline. Yeeesh
AT7, ER3, ER4, ER5, CR7, E70, E75, F100, M82, M83, 722, 732, 738, 752, 762, 763, AB6, 320, 321, 772, 77W

Beardown91737

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:49 am

US acquired AA. Now they can run former AA any way they want. I wish US was still in Star and codesharing with UA but they aren't.

As far as bereavement fares, more people are being cremated, which allows families (if their religions permit) to delay services until the family members can get together without going broke. This has been the recent experience in my family, but I am not sure it is typical.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

readytotaxi

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 35):
I'd gone bush and my family wasn't able to contact me.

Dad didn't seem to mind.

Yeah, I like that thought.   
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

rampart

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:49 pm

In related news, AA will no longer offer complementary oxygen.  http://www.theonion.com/articles/ame...ase-out-complimentary-cabin,35367/

-Rampart

AT

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Quoting jmc1975 (Reply 37):
The airline didn't cause the death of individual(s), therefore they have no obligation to reduce fares for someone that claims to have a death in the family that may or may not be legitimate

I agree and disagree simultaneously. I think it boils down to the inherent tension (not specific to airlines) between the best business practice and the most humane practice., ie people vs. profits.

From a business-only sense, one could even argue it's a disservice to their shareholders to offer any such discounted tickets. But on the other hand, the traveler, who presumably is at a difficult time given the death, shouldn't be unduly burdened either. That's why I think Air Canada's policy is the most practical.

With regard to whether the need is legitimate, I think gobs and gobs of proof should be required. Perhaps even an income restriction. But just because there's potential for fraud, doesn't mean that those in legitimate need should suffer.