Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rutankrd

RE: MAN News 51 - Steady Growth Continuing

Sat May 17, 2014 6:58 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 49):

Manchester's aviation future might be quite dependent on the outcome of the Scottish independence referendum.

David Cameron made another disastrous intervention yesterday, telling the Scots that they should stay British because London is the jewel of the British Isles.

It's significant because each previous such intervention has lifted the independence vote by a couple of points from its original hopeless position. If it gets close to passing - even above 40% - then independence becomes inevitable within the next 5 years.

And that's where Manchester enters the equation. An independent Scotland would value the same things - free comprehensive healthcare, free tertiary education, robust social safety net, no user-pays system - that the people of northern England and Wales value highly but people in the southeast do not.

At which point it is not at all hard to forsee a Crimean solution, in which northern England and Wales secede to join Scotland because the alternative is endless Conservative government from the southeast.

And suddenly Manchester Airport finds itself at the centre of the nation's largest conurbation of 6 million people in the northwest including Leeds and Sheffield.

So I find myself wondering whether Manchester might just find itself within a decade as the national airport for a new nation of Britain Minus The Southeast.

The previous New Labour government had plans to introduce regional assemblies and elected mayors in the large Northern City Regions that could have lead to more power and visibility in the globally connected world however lacklustre and perhaps a little political naivety in the North East scuppered those.
One things for sure the Northern English Regions would never join an independent Scottish State.

No the thing is the English in particular and many in Scotland are fundamentally democratic however remain in the believe that Westminster remain the central seat of government. Federalism is not in the national mind set -Queue the general and in my view largely misguided to the point of plain wrong views over Brussels/Strasbourg.

Boeing74741R

Sat May 17, 2014 9:15 am

Manchester's aviation future might be quite dependent on the outcome of the Scottish independence referendum.

David Cameron made another disastrous intervention yesterday, telling the Scots that they should stay British because London is the jewel of the British Isles.

It's significant because each previous such intervention has lifted the independence vote by a couple of points from its original hopeless position. If it gets close to passing - even above 40% - then independence becomes inevitable within the next 5 years.

And that's where Manchester enters the equation. An independent Scotland would value the same things - free comprehensive healthcare, free tertiary education, robust social safety net, no user-pays system - that the people of northern England and Wales value highly but people in the southeast do not.

At which point it is not at all hard to forsee a Crimean solution, in which northern England and Wales secede to join Scotland because the alternative is endless Conservative government from the southeast.

And suddenly Manchester Airport finds itself at the centre of the nation's largest conurbation of 6 million people in the northwest including Leeds and Sheffield.

So I find myself wondering whether Manchester might just find itself within a decade as the national airport for a new nation of Britain Minus The Southeast.

The Scottish independence vote is completely different to the Crimean situation. In Crimea, the collapse of the Ukrainian government was taken as an opportunity to split off and join Russia. In Scotland, you have the SNP with a majority in the Scottish Parliament and this party has a long-standing objective to achieve Scottish independence. If Scotland votes 'No' then the issue will be off the political agenda for a generation, but you will probably see a devolution of more powers such as taxation to Scotland.

Also despite the gains in the opinion polls, I get the impression that the majority of Scots do not want independence. This is before we go in to some of Salmond's assumptions such as a Sterling currency union (which Labour, Lib Dems and the Conservatives have ruled out) or being automatically a member of the EU (which even the EU has stated that Scotland would have to apply just like any other nation) which are being pushed as part of the case for independence.

Finally, even if Scotland does independence you will probably never see the counties that form part of Northern England wanting to split off and join Scotland. Regardless of the popularity of David Cameron and the Conservatives, I cannot ever see that being a credible reason for Northern English counties wanting to do that, despite some of the anti-Tory/Westminster jibes coming from the SNP in Scotland.

gkirk

Sat May 17, 2014 9:26 am

CX Cargo dropping MAN
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Daleaholic

Sat May 17, 2014 12:41 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 52):
CX Cargo dropping MAN

Probably dropped due to the passenger service starting. I'm sure the passenger service will provide adequate cargo capacity, with the schedule.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

skipness1E

Sat May 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 53):
Probably dropped due to the passenger service starting. I'm sure the passenger service will provide adequate cargo capacity, with the schedule.

How do you square that with Cargo being ended in May and the passenger service launching six months later? I imagine a fair few of their exisiting customers will skedaddle!

David_itl
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2014 6:22 am

Day 1 for the new CLT route and theEvening News is reporting on it.

Nice quotes from UK general manager for AA:

"This flight is a very important step for us. I will bring in around 200 passengers every day. Next year, we hope to run them for longer. "

He said most passengers are expected to originate from America - looking to fly into the north of England.
"Lots of people don’t want to come into Heathrow, Manchester has a great draw on it’s own and it’s a great way into the UK. The biggest growth in airlines is down to people visiting friends and family, and Manchester has a catchment area of 22m. There is very big traffic into Manchester and we’re helping that along a bit."

but the most important event will be:

"The flight will be met by a water cannon, cake and speeches."

If they're aiming for a longer season next year, does that mean the full run of early May to late September?

gkirk

Fri May 23, 2014 7:24 am

AA ORD changing back to the 757 from the 19th August.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

David_itl
Topic Author

Sun May 25, 2014 11:46 am

Here's an overview of the passenger numbers on scheduled routes to the States since 1986
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10355514_10203254542940989_2319627266701978478_o.jpg

Peak = 10 daily flights to the States. Will we ever see a time when there will be more than a single daily service to any desitinaon save Orlando or is it just going to be a case of the US based airlines going to add a service from a different hub with UK based airlines targetting specific markets? There may be a case for TCX to look at Los Angeles as a better bet than the Boston option that briefly appeared on their website.

David_itl
Topic Author

Tue May 27, 2014 6:34 pm

21 million up

With a lot of media "forgetting" the existing Far East service by SQ when the re-launch of CX, how terribly convenient that this landmark just happened to be broken on an SQ service in the middle of the morning peak so that some "goodwill" publicity for them could be generated with the free upgrade. Cynical? Me, never.

point2point

Tue May 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Quoting david_itl (Reply 57):

It seems like the folks in Manchester (with some 336K pax to MCO) sure do like their Micky Mouse, eh? And then Philly being the second largest airport in the U.S. to/from MAN (156K pax), although the NYC area has more pax when combining JFK and EWR (both at about 114K pax)

Thanks for posting these numbers

FlyCaledonian

Wed May 28, 2014 8:06 pm

That's very generic! Saying all the North values what Scotland has/could have is the same as saying all Scotland wants it. Yet if you look at the European Elections both Dumfries & Galloway and the Borders Regions actually saw the Conservatives top the poll (all votes for Scotland are combined). Indeed, if I recall, Dumfries & Galloway actually voted against Scottish devolution. I'd be more interested to see what would happen if the Central Belt and North voted yes for independence, but the Lowlands didn't.

Back to topic, the CX service is great for MAN. Especially as it is a non-stop.Hopefully that 4x Weekly frequency will soon increase.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

David_itl
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Few bits and pieces to report

Looks extremely likely that SV will be announcing their expected frequency increase shortly... not to 4 weekly as the MAN timetble did have a couple of months or so ago, but to 5 weekly. MAN's timetable now reflects this increase - extra flights on Mon and Sat.

A3 is now showing winter flights to ATH - 2 weekly departing in the morning   Tues + Sat.

TP is maintaining 11 weekly servies to LIS in the winter when in previous years they've cut back (must be holding thier own against FR!)

One for next summer is AY resuming thier own ops to HEL in place of Flybe Nordic.

slighy oddity in that JP is showing as year-round to LJU whereas it normally stops in September?!

and some new LS routes for next year: AYT, KEF and MLA.

davies2911

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:24 pm

I find it interesting that United haven't upgauged the EWR route since they took it down to once daily from double daily a couple of years ago. Especially as every time as I've used it is seems to be virtually full in both cabins.

David_itl
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Ideally, I'd like UA to add the "missing" ORD link for Star Alliance rather than upgrade EWR. Hopefully the MT service to JFK will mop up some of the economy demand.

David_itl
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:57 am

some more bits and pieces...

Ryanair hits 11 million passengers from MAN. 20 years to get there but you do wonder how much sooner if there had been no public disagreement?!

And tourist numbers showing good growth - the Evening News produced this article on the almost 1 million overseas visitors to the region and this one where it gives some figures. Don't believe the MAN target countries figures have assumed a critical mass by a long chalk Indian visitors rose by 86% to 13,663, Chinese by 31% to 18,987 and Japanese visitors up 218% to10,954. It does make you think what the figures would be like if it were slightly easier to get o the regions with a non-stop flight? They could loosely "base" themselves in Manchester whilst exploring nearby attractions/visiting prospective regional business partners.

boysteve

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Does anyone know what the OS B772ER was doing at MAN? It took off today at about 21:40, it's now over North Sheffield as I type!

David_itl
Topic Author

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:55 pm

Paint job with Air Livery. Arrived a few days ago.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos