laca773
Topic Author

Celebrities Unhappy With AA?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:16 am

I was just signing on to flyertalk, when I saw this article pop up regarding celebrities being unhappy with American. I know that many studios, and other entertainment companies have contracts with AA to fly their demanding celebrity employees, directors and etc.. I have privately been told, there are many who are unhappy they have to fly AA, and choose to fly other airlines on their own dime. There are a.net members who enjoy boasting how AA is the number choice for studios and other entertainment, news outlet business.
Are these issues consistently happening or is this one here and there. It's obvious that's becoming enough for an article to be written about it.
Link to article: http://www.flyertalk.com/story/amand...ntly-flying-american-airlines.html

ikramerica

RE: Celebrities Unhappy With AA?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:22 am

AA F on the A321 is a good product. On the 762 it's sub-par but that's almost over. AA F on the 777 is a good product. And there are exclusive F lounges at JFK and LAX. So for the LAX-JFK/LHR flights, they shouldn't complain. And there are some three class MIA flights as well. That covers a great number of the flights celebs take for their companies.

But for other markets, I'd fly other airlines too. AA stinks on other routes. So doing press junkets, flying on AA can really suck, with all the MD80s and lack of service.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

spacecadet

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:31 am

I just read the article. Honestly, I applaud that gate agent for what she told Kristin Chenoweth. "Emotional support dogs" need to be banned from flights.

Anyway, the article mentions exactly four celebrities - two sound like crybabies and the other two are known crybabies. So I'm not sure how much stock you can put in this.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

AADC10

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:33 am

Some of this may just be whining in order to get to fly on the studio jet. AA service declines are just an excuse and for the most part all of the airlines are in a race to the bottom anyway.

MAH4546

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:41 am

Did these same "people" also "privately" tell you that no celebrity is forced by any studio to fly AA? Because they aren't. Thy can fly whoever they choose on the studio's dime. They usually are very happy with the default, AA, but the studio will happily put any talent with even the tiniest of clout on whatever they please. There are celebs who specifically request DL, UA and even VX. They get what they want.

I just saw four people that live in Dallas post on Facebook they hate AA. Excuse me while I go write an article about how the entire city is fleeing the airline.

[Edited 2014-03-02 20:42:58]
a.

uberflieger

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:12 am

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 4):
I just saw four people that live in Dallas post on Facebook they hate AA. Excuse me while I go write an article about how the entire city is fleeing the airline

dude, didn't know you had a sense of humor besides your sharp tongue and fabulous insights   

ozark1

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:47 am

Shouldn't all these people be on their own private jets anyway? Their egos think they should be treated like they are on one. No excuse for rudeness, but I'm sure the hubs in glorious LAX, MIA, DFW and NYC push employees to their limits. I would rather lie on a bed of nails than have their job. Can you imagine being yelled at everyday? Having a terminal full of people whose plane has just broken down and who don't believe a word you say? Indeed, a lot of it is how the situation is handled, but I can't help but think that having a large contract (if that is the case) with movie studios, flying to places where people are not known for their politeness, and the constant twitter and facebook barrage combines to test the mental stability of any agent.

catiii

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:49 am

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 6):

That's the thing I never understood. Real celebrity, or wealth, flies privately...

tyler81190

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:54 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 7):
That's the thing I never understood. Real celebrity, or wealth, flies privately...

Real wealth does, yes... But some celebrities could be viewed unfavorably in the media if they were to only fly private. Many of them champion support for the poor of the world, and what kind of message would that send?

But I find that the (wannabe, fake) wealthy people, and in media reports, the celebrities seem to treat airline employees like cattle who are simply there to serve only them.

As for the who Glenn Beck incident, I am sure that was directed at him for a very specific reason. Right or wrong, I won't argue, but still quite funny!!

edited for spelling

[Edited 2014-03-02 21:54:38]

Osubuckeyes

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:57 am

I guess AA should shut up shop outside of their LAX routes and fly on demand business class only routes.

laca773
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:58 am

Shouldn't all these people be on their own private jets anyway? Their egos think they should be treated like they are on one. No excuse for rudeness, but I'm sure the hubs in glorious LAX, MIA, DFW and NYC push employees to their limits. I would rather lie on a bed of nails than have their job. Can you imagine being yelled at everyday? Having a terminal full of people whose plane has just broken down and who don't believe a word you say? Indeed, a lot of it is how the situation is handled, but I can't help but think that having a large contract (if that is the case) with movie studios, flying to places where people are not known for their politeness, and the constant twitter and facebook barrage combines to test the mental stability of any agent.

AA staff should be commended for the job they do, or attempt to do with all these egos. I'm sure it gets to be too much at times to deal with some of these folks, or shall we say egos. From LA, I'm sure if they have clout, they can get a private jet to take them from Santa Monica to wherever they want to go.

JAAlbert

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:12 am

An emotional-support dog? Come on now, all dogs are emotional-support, that's why we have them as pets! If your worst problem in life is that AA won't let you bring your pet on board the plane with you, I'd say life is pretty good.

Yeah, and I know some people have real disabilities - but Kristin Chenoweth an emotional wreck? Come on now. She's flying first class - relax, have a cocktail. It's on the house.

tyler81190

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 am

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 11):
An emotional-support dog? Come on now, all dogs are emotional-support, that's why we have them as pets! If your worst problem in life is that AA won't let you bring your pet on board the plane with you, I'd say life is pretty good.

Yeah, and I know some people have real disabilities - but Kristin Chenoweth an emotional wreck? Come on now. She's flying first class - relax, have a cocktail. It's on the house.

I don't know about AA, but UA now requires to be notified in advance if an Emotional Support animal is flying with you, and MUST have a doctors note, and phone number to verify. Only reservations can verify and must notate the PNR, otherwise, you will have to pay for in-cabin pet.

SXDFC

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:29 am

I applaud AA for treating celebrity pax just like their regular pax!   

deutronium

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:31 am

I thought they drove everywhere in a Toyota Prius to help save the planet.

Pellegrine

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:29 am

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 2):

I just read the article. Honestly, I applaud that gate agent for what she told Kristin Chenoweth. "Emotional support dogs" need to be banned from flights.

That's a little classless. Emotional support animals fulfill a real medical need, regardless if whether you agree with it or believe in it.
oh boy, here we go!!!

PHX Flyer

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:55 am

This is really more about some starlets getting their names appear in the press. Since when is Seyfried on the "A-list"? And if Glenn Beck hates American, it's one more reason for me to make this my airline of choice.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

RWA380

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:13 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 8):
Real wealth does, yes... But some celebrities could be viewed unfavorably in the media if they were to only fly private. Many of them champion support for the poor of the world, and what kind of message would that send?

You would be surprised how many folks fly privately these days. There are better airports closer to studios than LAX. If International travel is involved there is a far greater chance of seeing these celeb types at LAX. Even Sean Penn has shown up in Haiti with his celeb friends on a private aircraft.

When I was in the game, I booked a famous Fugee to Haiti from LAX on the red eye via MIA the night of the grammys, he performed, then private car to LAX, AA in F to MIA and a private jet from there.

Did these same "people" also "privately" tell you that no celebrity is forced by any studio to fly AA? Because they aren't. Thy can fly whoever they choose on the studio's dime.

You are correct, unless you are Donny Most from Happy Days, you have freedom to fly which ever carrier you prefer, at least that has been my experience booking those famous individuals all over the world for years. Airlines do have celebrity desks, or did at the time I was doing this 5-7 years ago. They do many things to make navigating the airport easier, waiting in the lounges, most often these folks are last on and first off.

AA has often been the requested carrier by those I booked regularly NYC-LAX. I think AA has a good chunk of celeb travel.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

tyler81190

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:22 am

Quoting PHX Flyer (Reply 16):
This is really more about some starlets getting their names appear in the press. Since when is Seyfried on the "A-list"? And if Glenn Beck hates American, it's one more reason for me to make this my airline of choice.

HA!!!!! +1

airbazar

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Anyway, the article mentions exactly four celebrities - two sound like crybabies and the other two are known crybabies. So I'm not sure how much stock you can put in this.

Aren't most celebrities, crybabies? They are almost by design, media whores. It's their job to cry. Obviously it doesn't apply to 100% of them but the majority certainly is.

Celebrity does not equal wealth, or viceversa. My "boss" is one of the top 10 wealthiest women in the world and I bet few people have ever heard her name.

jetwet1

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Shouldn't all these people be on their own private jets anyway? Their egos think they should be treated like they are on one.

In my job, I have had to deal with Alec Baldwin, all I can tell you is that he is a massive......Nice guy.....Soft spoken, polite, great guy to deal with. I have dealt with many A listers, and honestly they are easy to deal with, it's the B listers that are the pains.

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 8):
Real wealth does, yes...

Nope, real wealth will travel the way that they want to, they have the choice, on a business trip for my previous company, my boss didn't like the prices that were being found, he ended up booking everyone (himself included) into Y on VS....I upgraded to J and left them.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 19):
Aren't most celebrities, crybabies? They are almost by design, media whores. It's their job to cry. Obviously it doesn't apply to 100% of them but the majority certainly is.

No, again A listers are okay, B listers are the pain.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 19):
Celebrity does not equal wealth, or viceversa. My "boss" is one of the top 10 wealthiest women in the world and I bet few people have ever heard her name.

Yep, though my current boss is known, he is not really known in a Brad Pitt way.

Exactly

Bongodog1964

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 12):
I don't know about AA, but UA now requires to be notified in advance if an Emotional Support animal is flying with you, and MUST have a doctors note, and phone number to verify. Only reservations can verify and must notate the PNR, otherwise, you will have to pay for in-cabin pet.

I feel sorry for the dog having to travel with such a pain in the a** If a person sitting in coach claimed that they needed to be accompanied by an "emotional support animal" I doubt any airline would show much sympathy.
As for the actress who wanted to know how the fans knew to expect her, its probably either her own or her pr's messages on social media. She also needs to think that the day no one wants to greet her or take her photo, her career will have hit the buffers.

ckfred

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 pm

First of all, the pappazzi simply hangs out at the AA terminals at LAX and JFK, because AA does fly so many celebrities.

Second, it used to be that the agents of celebrites tipped off the press. When AA's first 707 from JFK (then Idlewild) to LAX was about to board, Maureen O'Hara called her agent to say that she wouldn't get on any airplane that didn't have props. He explained to her that a lot of reporters and photographers were expecting her to get off the plane upon arrival at LAX. If she didn't, both of their names would be Mud.

Third, instead of tweeting about their problems with AA, have celebrities thought of contacting customer service? I've had issues of the years with AA. I've contacted customer service. I usually get a nice response, with an apology, explaining what happened, and what they planned to do to fix it.

A couple of years ago, we landed at DFW from ORD, connecting for MOB. Yet, the F/A never read off a list of connecting gates, just the arrival gate and baggage claim number. Customer service looked into it and learned that the arriving gate info wasn't sent to the cockpit until the aircraft was on final into DFW. Ops was getting a letter reminding them that they had to send connecting gate info to aircraft earlier in the flight.

homer787

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:26 pm

This just in…

The same crybaby celebrities now hate UA, DL, AS, VX, etc. Some people like to be in the spotlight, and if they aren't they complain.

I don't think that domestic F or premium service F in AA is any better or worse than the other legacies.

RKSofACinUSA

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 15):
That's a little classless. Emotional support animals fulfill a real medical need, regardless if whether you agree with it or believe in it.

Fair enough, however, celebrity or not, the need must be documented. Otherwise, airplanes are going to turn into flying kennels when everyone wants to bring their pet for emotional support.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:35 pm

I used to enjoy FT, but I now don't even bother with the airline forums since they have all become a bunch of over-entitled whiner/complaint forums.

Some of the other forums are still interesting over there.

IADLHR

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:14 pm

I refuse to read the article. I have flown IAD-LAX-IAD more times than I care to count. I have seen celebrities on IAD-LAX-IAD a number of times. More often I have seen them around LAX. There are some that are very, very nice, polite and humble. There are others that view everything is wrong and nothing is ever right. Get the point? I have talked to some FAs and they are some celebrities that they dread having on a flight. Kristin Chenowith tops some lists. Her diva attitude is legendary in NYC and elsewhere.

To me the write should have done more research and gotten some insight on the matter.

Oykie

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Quoting Deutronium (Reply 14):
I thought they drove everywhere in a Toyota Prius to help save the planet.

They get them trucked to their destination so that they can look environmental friendly  
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

windowflyer

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Too bad MGM Grand Air no longer exists and celebrities have to fly American JFK - LAX with us normal folks.
I have to admit, I go out of my way not to fly American Airlines and have never done JFK -LAX with them.
I now use UA's Premium Service flights exclusively for this route and have flown it many times in F J & Y. No Complaints.

Maybe we should get together and start a 21st century version of Grand Air.
Anybody want to chip in???
A-300,319,320,321,330,340,380. B-727,737,747,757,767,777,787. L-1011,DC8,DC9,MD80,CRJ,Dash-8,YS-11,HS-748,Concorde

brilondon

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Quoting windowflyer (Reply 28):
Maybe we should get together and start a 21st century version of Grand Air.
Anybody want to chip in???

First, no I don't want to chip in for an airline that will be out of business in very short order. Two, what the heck are emotional support animals and why do they have to travel in side the cabin and not in the hold. I have long held that pets should also be put in the hold and was told that they have to be if someone complains about them before they get on the aircraft. I don't know if that is true or not. The hold is also where luggage should go and not in the overhead bins.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

Bongodog1964

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 29):
Two, what the heck are emotional support animals

Small yappy irritating things carried in shoulder bags by lather yappy irritating things. 

windshear

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:28 pm

I thought celebrities flew BA only, I know I would...!
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

slvrblt

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 30):
Small yappy irritating things carried in shoulder bags by lather yappy irritating things.
Quoting brilondon (Reply 29):
have long held that pets should also be put in the hold and was told that they have to be if someone complains about them before they get on the aircraft. I don't know if that is true or not. The hold is also where luggage should go and not in the overhead bins.
Quoting RKSofACinUSA (Reply 24):

OH......wow...you guys just have NO idea. The emotional support thing is OUT-OF-CONTROL. Getting these doctors' letters is a big business now; I've had people tell me to my face they do it to avoid the fees. Regardless of the legitimacy of the rare few that really need it, and I'm sure there are SOME....but the real ones in need are rare. The abusers have caught on - and use this to not have to pay cabin pet fees. In recent weeks I've had single passengers with as many as TWO labrador-sized animals, saying they needed them as emotional support, had doctor's letters, and were boarded. TWO big dogs. One person. REALLY?? How is that emotional support??? But, thanks to ADA and DOT rules, they have to be allowed when they have the doctor letters. I pity the poor person having to sit next to someone with one or even two huge dogs like that.
..everything works out in the end.

Maverick623

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Quoting laca773 (Thread starter):

It's obvious that's becoming enough for an article to be written about it.

Um, you do know that FlyerTalk is basically unheard of outside of aviation circles, and that the article is the author's sole article on the website (and a quick perusal of Google reveals no other entries anywhere)?

At any rate, I am always amused by people who spend their entire lives working to get attention, and then whine and cry when they get attention.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

highflier92660

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Doesn't the American Airlines/ Hollywood connection actually have an historical pre-merger connection back to TWA? In a more golden age of Hollywood, Howard Hughes used to fly celebrities coast-to-coast aboard TWAs fleet of Constellations. In fact a 11/26/2013 article in the LA Times had producer Robert Evans promoting his memoir where he writes about one such transcontinental flight in the late 1950s on a Lockheed (probably a 1649A) Constellation. In midflight aboard the red-eye he and a screen diva joined the mile-high-club in a sleeper compartment with famous celebrity tell-all writer Walter Winchell slumbering in an adjacent compartment. Those Wright 3350s must have been loud to drown out the sounds of ...

On the flip side, most retired TWA flight attendants have war stories about having to endure celebrities like Zsa Zsa Gabor.

KBJCpilot

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Quoting SLVRBLT (Reply 32):
TWO big dogs. One person. REALLY?? How is that emotional support??? But, thanks to ADA and DOT rules, they have to be allowed when they have the doctor letters.

I have a friend that shows St Bernards at various venues around the country. A few years ago he decided to purchase and refurbish an ambulance and drive instead of fly which, although takes more time and planning, makes it easier on the dogs and him. One of his fellow St Bernard breeders, and an distant acquaintance of mine as well, convinced her doctor that she needed a dog to help her cope with anxiety when she flies so she now routinely takes her show animal(s) with her in the cabin rather than having them ride in the hold like every other animal. She says it saves her a few thousand dollars a year in animal expenses and allows her dogs to travel in comfort and style. The minute a CSA mentions the size of the dog she cries ADA and threatens to call her attorney and she is promptly catered to.

Comfort animals nothing more than a "first world problem". Can you imagine an adult 30+ years ago needing a comfort animal? The wussification of America continues.
Samsonite, I was way off!

slcguy

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:48 pm

Just my experience, there are many wealthy individuals and higher ups in the world of business that have access to private jets but will still fly commercial when it better fits there needs. These people are almost never a problem and are probably welcomed on board with a sigh of relief by cabin crews. Then there are the celebrities, a lot of them but certainly not all, think they are special and will be the first to tell you. They are a pain from the time they get to the airport. I think the airlines should have gift packs to give out to these individuals. Free passes on Amtrak and Greyhound!

displane

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:03 pm

H......wow...you guys just have NO idea. The emotional support thing is OUT-OF-CONTROL. Getting these doctors' letters is a big business now; I've had people tell me to my face they do it to avoid the fees. Regardless of the legitimacy of the rare few that really need it, and I'm sure there are SOME....but the real ones in need are rare. The abusers have caught on - and use this to not have to pay cabin pet fees. In recent weeks I've had single passengers with as many as TWO labrador-sized animals, saying they needed them as emotional support, had doctor's letters, and were boarded. TWO big dogs. One person. REALLY?? How is that emotional support??? But, thanks to ADA and DOT rules, they have to be allowed when they have the doctor letters. I pity the poor person having to sit next to someone with one or even two huge dogs like that.

Absolutely agree. There are numerous stories of people claiming ferrets, rabbits, snakes, pigs and even a Shetland pony(miniature horse) needed to fly in the cabin for medical/therapy needs. I've even had several claim that they were scared to fly and need the pet for therapy.
It is out of control and people are taking advantage of it. Unfortunately, you cannot question a disability and if they have a doctor's form, so be it.

IADLHR

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Quoting SLCGuy (Reply 36):
Just my experience, there are many wealthy individuals and higher ups in the world of business that have access to private jets but will still fly commercial when it better fits there needs. These people are almost never a problem and are probably welcomed on board with a sigh of relief by cabin crews. Then there are the celebrities, a lot of them but certainly not all, think they are special and will be the first to tell you. They are a pain from the time they get to the airport. I think the airlines should have gift packs to give out to these individuals. Free passes on Amtrak and Greyhound!

I dont know all the details but some of the celebrities are notorious for taking sloppy appearances and dress to new lows. on flights to and from LAX. On a recent IAD-LAX trip a check in counter agent and an FA made reference to it. I had to go straight from LAX to an business appointment. I was a dressed in a suit and tie which really shocked the counter agent and FA.Like they never saw it before on an LAX flight. They each told me a few specific stories but this is a public forum and no one would believe the stories either about some of the rich and famous.

WA707atMSP

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 34):
On the flip side, most retired TWA flight attendants have war stories about having to endure celebrities like Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Lucille Ball was another celebrity who was universally despised by airline personnel.

Long time TWA employee Jon Proctor has a section of his blog devoted to working as a gate agent at LAX in the 1960s, with many celebrity anecdotes:

http://jonproctor.net/twa-trans-world-airlines/

ckfred

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:07 pm

A friend of mine is a pilot with AA. He's heard horror stories about some celebrities. Others have been truly nice people to fly. He heard from F/As who were scared to death to have Julia Child on a flight, because they had a dinner service.

Her comment to the F/A was, "It's alright dear. I know you wouldn't serve anything this bad, if it weren't your job."

Viscount724

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:21 am

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 34):
Doesn't the American Airlines/ Hollywood connection actually have an historical pre-merger connection back to TWA? In a more golden age of Hollywood, Howard Hughes used to fly celebrities coast-to-coast aboard TWAs fleet of Constellations.

Many TWA celebrity photos and stories here:
http://www.twaflightattendants.com/airlineofthestars.html

Marilyn Monroe

Elizabeth Taylor

John Wayne

n92r03

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:55 am

One question; Who is Kristen Chenowith? Yes I know about Google, but seriously, I would not know her if she walked into my house.

IADLHR

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:06 am

Quoting n92r03 (Reply 42):
One question; Who is Kristen Chenowith? Yes I know about Google, but seriously, I would not know her if she walked into my house.

She is, in my opinion, lacking in talent but makes up for it by being one of the more infamous divas of our time. She started out in some musicals on Broadway , had a few tv pilots that, excuse the pun, did not take off and she went back to NYC. She was in "Promises Promises on Broadway " with Sean Hayes and was upstaged by him and others.

http://officialkristinchenoweth.com/

My brother and his wife were in a restaurant in NYC and she was there too, screaming about everything being wrong. My brother travels a lot from JFK-LAX on AA.He has always said he would get off the plane if she ever was a pax.

nickh

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:08 am

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 39):
http://jonproctor.net/twa-trans-world-airlines/

Some great nostalgic reading material on this site, thanks for posting it!

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

brilondon

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:25 am

Quoting windshear (Reply 31):

I thought celebrities flew BA only, I know I would...!

Yeah, but it is tough to fly BA from LAX to NYC without having to change in London.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

windowflyer

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:27 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 41):
Marilyn Monroe

Elizabeth Taylor

Hey! Liz and Marilyn both travelling with support animals... Marilyn seems to be wearing hers though.   
A-300,319,320,321,330,340,380. B-727,737,747,757,767,777,787. L-1011,DC8,DC9,MD80,CRJ,Dash-8,YS-11,HS-748,Concorde

OB1504

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:56 pm

No excuse for rudeness, but I'm sure the hubs in glorious LAX, MIA, DFW and NYC push employees to their limits. I would rather lie on a bed of nails than have their job. Can you imagine being yelled at everyday? Having a terminal full of people whose plane has just broken down and who don't believe a word you say?

Honestly, you either get used to it or quit within a month or two. I heard a story of an agent who told an irate passenger to "get the f*** out of my face"... needless to say, he was immediately told to leave the terminal and never come back.

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 15):

I agree, but too many "emotional support" animals are not there for medical needs (unless the passenger needs the money they save in pet fees to pay for medical bills)...

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 20):
In my job, I have had to deal with Alec Baldwin, all I can tell you is that he is a massive......Nice guy.....Soft spoken, polite, great guy to deal with. I have dealt with many A listers, and honestly they are easy to deal with, it's the B listers that are the pains.

It's almost like the B-listers think they need to be rude and demanding because that's how A-listers are "supposed" to act.

Quoting ckfred (Reply 22):
Third, instead of tweeting about their problems with AA, have celebrities thought of contacting customer service? I've had issues of the years with AA. I've contacted customer service. I usually get a nice response, with an apology, explaining what happened, and what they planned to do to fix it.

Tweeting is a way to contact customer service. I often recommend it as the best option to my passengers, because they get an almost immediate response. Also, the 140 character limit encourages passengers to keep their complaints short and to the point instead of rambling on irately.

OH......wow...you guys just have NO idea. The emotional support thing is OUT-OF-CONTROL. Getting these doctors' letters is a big business now; I've had people tell me to my face they do it to avoid the fees. Regardless of the legitimacy of the rare few that really need it, and I'm sure there are SOME....but the real ones in need are rare. The abusers have caught on - and use this to not have to pay cabin pet fees. In recent weeks I've had single passengers with as many as TWO labrador-sized animals, saying they needed them as emotional support, had doctor's letters, and were boarded. TWO big dogs. One person. REALLY?? How is that emotional support??? But, thanks to ADA and DOT rules, they have to be allowed when they have the doctor letters. I pity the poor person having to sit next to someone with one or even two huge dogs like that.
Quoting displane (Reply 37):
Absolutely agree. There are numerous stories of people claiming ferrets, rabbits, snakes, pigs and even a Shetland pony(miniature horse) needed to fly in the cabin for medical/therapy needs. I've even had several claim that they were scared to fly and need the pet for therapy.
It is out of control and people are taking advantage of it. Unfortunately, you cannot question a disability and if they have a doctor's form, so be it.

There are even companies that will outright sell these doctor's forms. Fortunately, airlines are catching on and will refuse to accept notes issued by these shady "doctors". The DOT really needs to step in and end this abuse. UA's system sounds great, and I hope my airline adopts it.

Anyone remember the therapy pig on US about a decade ago?

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:05 pm

I just saw four people that live in Dallas post on Facebook they hate AA. Excuse me while I go write an article about how the entire city is fleeing the airline.

Thirty years ago Dallas was bitterly complaining about how much they hated Braniff. Texas Monthly wrote a real hatchet job of an article about them right at the end. Dallas has this need, I guess, to just hate their home town airline.

It has been years since I have seen anyone of importance on a regularly scheduled flight--except for flights In and out of DCA with various Secretaries of this and that aboard. We just assumed the really important ones either owned or chartered a private jet.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

WA707atMSP

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 47):
Quoting ozark1 (Reply 6):No excuse for rudeness, but I'm sure the hubs in glorious LAX, MIA, DFW and NYC push employees to their limits. I would rather lie on a bed of nails than have their job. Can you imagine being yelled at everyday? Having a terminal full of people whose plane has just broken down and who don't believe a word you say?
Honestly, you either get used to it or quit within a month or two. I heard a story of an agent who told an irate passenger to "get the f*** out of my face"... needless to say, he was immediately told to leave the terminal and never come back.

I think anyone in a customer service job - at the airport, Starbucks, anywhere - should be allowed to say to a verbally abusive customer "I hope someone treats your daughter the way you are treating me" without being fired, or even reprimanded.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos