Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TriL1011Star
Topic Author

Regional Airline Pilots In Demand

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Interesting read.

Pilots will not work for regional airlines due to the miserably low pay.

My question is this: Why do major airlines contract with these regional carriers to begin with? This never happened 20 or 30 years ago!

Regional airlines should be mandated to fly under their name on;ly. None of this skywest airlines flying planes painted in United or american airlines livery BS. If I wanted to fly with Skywest........I would book with skywest!

I flew from ord to ict and back in '06 on a wannabe united flight. The flight attentdant spoke very broken english when giving the emergency instructions. How safe?

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/20...-regional-airlines/?source=cnn_bin

[Edited 2014-03-03 15:33:51]

kcrwflyer

RE: Regional Airline Pilots In Demand

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:39 pm

Quoting TriL1011star (Thread starter):
My question is this: Why do major airlines contract with these regional carriers to begin with? This never happened 20 or 30 years ago!

It's cheaper than flying the route with mainline planes and crews. There are hundreds of routes that would cease to exist if regional airlines didn't exist.

Stackhouse007

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:23 am

Very interesting read. As a student pilot currently working towards my instrument rating, I am hearing a lot about this situation. Very curious to see how this will all work out in the industry.
Nikon D60: 18-55mm - 55-200mm / Canon 50D: 100-400mm

Fixinthe757

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 am

Back when I started flying there was supposedly a shortage of pilots happening. Yeah right. Instead of flying for a career I work on them. Oh to be able to go back and change things....    Not that being a mechanic is bad, just would rather be doing what I went to college for.

Goldenshield

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:50 am

Actually, it did. You just don't remember it.

Regional airlines should be mandated to fly under their name on;ly.

They actually did at one time, but the mainlines wanted to "streamline the experience."

None of this skywest airlines flying planes painted in United or american airlines livery BS.

Blame the majors for that. Up until about 10 years ago, the regionals had actual brands and paint schemes, but the majors took all of that away for the purpose of "streamlining the experience."

The flight attentdant spoke very broken english when giving the emergency instructions. How safe?

This is relevant how? As long as she can read, speak, and understand English, she cannot be disqualified. Besides, I've heard some pretty thick accents on mainline flights as well.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

PGNCS

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:55 am

My question is this: Why do major airlines contract with these regional carriers to begin with?

Because it's FAR cheaper than flying it with their own planes and pilots on a per departure basis, and passengers want low fares.

This never happened 20 or 30 years ago!

People are much more fare conscious than 30 years ago; the landscape is far more competitive than 30 years ago; deregulation was just starting to be felt and understood in that time frame; people had decades of experience solely with full service carriers at that time; people now view air travel as a commodity available to every social and economic strata, unlike 30 years ago...

In other words, it's not 30 years ago, and airlines have had to adapt to the current marketplace or perish.

If I wanted to fly with Skywest........I would book with skywest!

I suggest reading your itinerary before purchasing your ticket, because it will say "Operated by SkyWest" somewhere on it, though I too wish it would be more prominent. (I am not certain when that became a requirement, but it is now.)

On many routes without regional flights the route would entirely cease to exist, and if not ceasing to exist, would almost certainly have dramatically fewer frequencies and flight choices available.

How safe?

How on earth would we know? The flight was 8 years ago!  

TriL1011Star
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:34 am

Thanks guys.

The fact that SWA doesn't sub contract to regional airlines is one of many reasons I fly Southwest whenever possible. Not to mention the fact that SWA is just awesome.

Not that I am trying to degrade any pilots or staff of these regional airlines, but in an emergency, I would much rather have a pilot like "sully" than a regional airline pilot. But the flip side to that is........all pilots have to start somewhere. Guess you can't get Sully's experience if you don't have a place to start from.

[Edited 2014-03-03 21:36:06]

iahcsr

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:29 am

Most pilots flying for the major carriers start off with the regionals to get the required hours and experience needed. When the new FAA pilot work rules began in January, the majors had to hire more pilots.. The regionals are losing pilots faster than they can replace them. A regional that shall remain nameless is canceling dozens of flights every day due to 'no crew available' . I presume this is probably the case at most other regionals as well   
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

ssteve

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:40 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 4):
Blame the majors for that. Up until about 10 years ago, the regionals had actual brands and paint schemes, but the majors took all of that away for the purpose of "streamlining the experience."

It's supposed to be outsourcing that's relatively opaque to the customer. Not only may your flight be operated by one "regional" the ground side may be another entirely... the lowest bidder, of course.

Type-Rated

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:53 am

The regionals of today are nothing like the regionals of the 60's & 70's who also flew mainline equipment. PSA, North Central, Southern, Hughes Airwest, Ozark, Piedmont, etc. were all considered "regional" airlines at the time.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Goldenshield

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:28 am

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 8):
It's supposed to be outsourcing that's relatively opaque to the customer. Not only may your flight be operated by one "regional" the ground side may be another entirely... the lowest bidder, of course.

That's the "current" way, but it wasn't so in the past. There was NO bidding, and each regional had a specific area of operations (Aka, a hub,) and was handled on a code-share basis. The Comair strike was the nail in that coffin, though.

Quoting TriL1011star (Reply 6):
Not that I am trying to degrade any pilots or staff of these regional airlines, but in an emergency, I would much rather have a pilot like "sully" than a regional airline pilot.

Not to degrade Sully, but given the scenario, it shouldn't take a 30,000 hour pilot to recognize that the river is the safest option. Looking for the safest place to put down your airplane in an emergency is taught from day one.

Quoting TriL1011star (Reply 6):
The fact that SWA doesn't sub contract to regional airlines is one of many reasons I fly Southwest whenever possible. Not to mention the fact that SWA is just awesome.

I know of many pilots that have moved on to Southwest. Are they any less a pilot because they worked for a regional?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos