combatshadow
Topic Author

Cessna Collides With Skydiver, Both Survive.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:47 am

I found this interesting, and hadn't seen that it had been posted today.

Apparently a Cessna 170 collided with a skydiver, while doing touch-and-gos at a small strip. And both survived.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/24...s-into-skydivers-parachute-mid-air
Bob

airportugal310

RE: Cessna Collides With Skydiver, Both Survive.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:56 am

I've almost hit meat missiles before just south of Nashua, NH...that episode freaked me out for a few weeks so I feel for both parties involved!!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Starlionblue

Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:49 am

Those are some scary pics. I knew Cessnas were sturdy but wow!

My instructor actually took me to that very airport to work on my landings prior to my first solo. Grass plus short runway hone skills. Fantastic little place. You taxi practically in people's back yards.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

rwessel

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:30 am

Ouch.

A field I used to fly out of (sailplanes) also had a skydiving operation. Every once in a while they missed their landing area and drifted across to the runway. And they arrive from such an unexpected direction - even if you're paying attention they're not easy to spot. They surprised me a couple of times on final. Nothing to do but pull in the spoilers, fly a wide S, and land long. Or if they're still not out of the way, head for the adjacent field (never had to do that, but I did worry about the anyone in the pattern behind me).

Fortunately there were never any collisions (at least in the time I was flying there), although I could easily see one happening.

And mind you that surprise was in an aircraft with excellent visibility upwards. In a 170 it would be difficult to spot the skydivers at 12-o'clock (very) high under the best of circumstances.

ArmitageShanks

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 am

Who would tend to get the blame for this accident?

Q

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:06 am

If skydiving at the time. All planes must be ground or avoid to land airport. If you want to land the plane should circling a few times until skydiving is completed finished. The plane may go land to the airport. Why the pilot flying to runway touch and go while skydiving activities at the moments? Who's fault? Pilot did. Control tower or Unicom radio to tell announcement for traffic alert skydiving activities.

Q

Starlionblue

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:16 am

Quoting Q (Reply 5):

If skydiving at the time. All planes must be ground or avoid to land airport. If you want to land the plane should circling a few times until skydiving is completed finished. The plane may go land to the airport. Why the pilot flying to runway touch and go while skydiving activities at the moments? Who's fault? Pilot did. Control tower or Unicom radio to tell announcement for traffic alert skydiving activities.

No way all planes at skydiving fields should be grounded or just avoid the field. It is a public field. Skydivers, like other traffic, are a risk we train for.

This is a tiny airport with just a little grass strip among the houses and trees. There is frequent skydiving activity and at least when I flew there the diver plane was very good about radio calls. As a pilot, you have to be on the ball, listen to the UNICOM and look around.

And yes, skydivers give many light plane pilots nightmares.

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 4):

Can't say for sure but I would think the pilot. If nothing else unpowered aircraft have the right of way over powered aircraft.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Accidentally

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:26 am

I too took my PPL lessons, and flew for years after at a field (I won't mention) with skydiving and guys and gals there had similar experiences as the guys above, mainly because we had a bad field setup, so I won't repeat that stuff but I wanted to say that the young guys piloting the drop aircraft were absolutely insane and I think even more dangerous. Once a Pilatus Porter saw me on short final, heard my call, but instead of halting his taxi, spun around the curve, onto the active, announced, and shot away. I went around, said something on the radio - which he didn't reply to, but felt it was safer for both of us that I not go confront him...he knew what he did.

Another time the Twin Otter was doing a rapid descent right into the pattern (downwind) and all of a sudden he shoots into my view ahead as he's just arresting his descent to pattern height. I have no idea how he never saw me...it makes no sense. This time I went to the owner and complained, but I don't know what happened to the guy(s) flying it. These days, being older and wiser, I certainly would've reported them somewhere higher up.

I don't believe how they've never had an incident as far as I know of...but some reckless stuff went on back then. Company is still there, too.
Indianapolis, IN

Q

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:45 am

I'm hard of hearing. That's not funny. All hearing impaired have trouble grammars. Do not negatives with members. Enough.

Q

bobdino

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:53 am

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 4):

Generally, the pilot of the aircraft, I would have thought. As starlionblue said, unpowered have right of way.

A few things worth noting about parachute landings:

- Most skydivers have minimal training in flying a downwind/base/final pattern to land.
- Even those that do will do whatever it takes to get to a safe landing area - it's quite common for issues with winds aloft or the placement of the jumprun to mean that when you open, you don't have a lot of options in terms of where you fly if you want to avoid landing on houses/powerlines/alligator farms.
- The last ~1500ft of a parachute descent can be grouped roughly into two styles: "straight in" and "high performance".

High-performance landings are those where the skydiver deliberately induces extra speed - they dive the parachute at the ground to build up speed and skim across the ground/water. These parachutes can be in slow flight at 1000ft, and ten seconds later be skimming across the ground. They'd be a total nightmare for a GA pilot sharing a DZ with a skydiving operation - extremely hard to see. This video (it's a bit yee-haw) will give you an idea of descent rates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usreDL1BtNQ

A straight-in landing means the person flying doesn't turn more than 90 degrees at any time, and isn't attempting to induce extra speed. This is the kind of landing being attempted in the pictures above. The skydiver may have been sashaying or performing small-ish turns, but they would have been in the same general area of the sky for at least 20 seconds. It's quite possible the pilot of the aircraft would have been above the skydiver 60s before the impact. The parachute pictured is being flown in a fairly docile manner, and wouldn't have been moving particularly quickly.

bobdino

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:54 am

Interesting animated gif of the incident photos:

http://i.imgur.com/CQQPwRr.gif

Aesma

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:03 am

Scary pictures ! Both men survived but I'm not sure the Cessna (nor the canopy) did !

I may have had better training than average but I was definitely taught about downwind/base/final when learning skydiving, and had to perform it from my first jump (static line jump). We were also told that if we ended up out of the (large) dropzone and had to cross the runways, we should do so at altitude and perpendicularly, otherwise land in a field. I've done it a few times, once there was even a landing plane under me, but I was 5-600 feet higher.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

dfwjim1

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:46 pm

I found it interesting that the pilot of the plane is 87 years old so would his age be a factor in this accident? After all there
are many 80 year olds who should not be driving much less flying an aircraft.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos