tioloko100
Topic Author

Who Exactly Is Captain Zaharie Shah Of MH370?

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:48 pm

Since the incident few days ago regarding flight MH370, alot of investigations have begun and these include details about the veteran Captain of the ill fated flight. To many (including myself) he is a hero as they are speculations that the aircraft might be heading back to malaysia before going off the radar. Lots of tribute to Captain Zaharie Shah.
http://www.sharelor.net/1/post/2014/...captain-zaharie-shah-of-mh370.html

Cipango

RE: Who Exactly Is Captain Zaharie Shah Of MH370?

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:55 pm

I mean absolutely no disrespect to the pilot, crew or passengers, but as no one knows what happened or where the aircraft is, how can one label the captain as a "hero" just yet?
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

175erj

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:54 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Thread starter):

No disrespect, but what exactly is he a hero for? They're all gone.

kiwiinoz

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:02 am

Yeah. Probably a bit too early to label him a hero, given that we have no idea yet what he did.

Nice photo of him on the ferry in downtown AKL though

SXDFC

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:05 am

Who is Captain Zaharie Shah? Well from what I've seen, he is an aviation fan just like us. IMHO I wouldnt be surprised if he checked out this site a few times too. Although we don't know what exactly happened here, its still sad that himself along with over 200 others have yet to be found. One of the most fusterating things to go through in life is not knowing where someone is. Godspeed Captain Shah, where ever you are.

rwy04lga

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:07 am

Did you check out that flight simulator he built in his home? Just WOW!!!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

ferminbrif

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:34 am

Quoting cipango (Reply 1):
I mean absolutely no disrespect to the pilot, crew or passengers, but as no one knows what happened or where the aircraft is, how can one label the captain as a "hero" just yet?

I totally agree with that comment and it doesn't mean I'm disrespect to the pilot and crew.
FBF

MSNfan

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:15 am

I think what we can agree on amidst all this uncertainty surrounding what actually happened is that this man had a genuine passion for what he did, and certainly loved aviation as much as we all do. He also had the opportunity to spend his life doing what he loved. RIP Captain, and RIP to the rest of the crew and pax on board the flight.
Dentistry: Because everyone smiles in the same language!

laxboeingman

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:18 am

Quoting MSNfan (Reply 7):
He also had the opportunity to spend his life doing what he loved. RIP Captain, and RIP to the rest of the crew and pax on board the flight.

I agree with and second that statement.
The opinions I post are mine and not of any organization I am affiliated with.

KC135Hydraulics

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 am

I must say... that flight simulator setup is incredible.
MSgt, USAF
KC-135R / C-17A Pneudraulic Systems Mechanic Supervisor

liftsifter

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:53 am

This seemed like a really biased article written on some random blog. I don't know of what the affiliations are, but deifnetely someone who likes a person who might have actually been the cause of hundreds of deaths. We don't know anything yet.

Quote:
His political affiliations are clear through who he is following and we request that you do not attempt to taint this tragic event by linking any political issues to the accident or the respected Captain Zaharie.

This seemed relatively suspicious.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

cabochris

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:36 am

Quoting liftsifter (Reply 10):

So he's a open minded atheist anti-corruption/establishment homosexual sympathizer... in Muslim country, Suspicious? And that biased article was made by his friends and co-workers, I flew with him at Flightsaftey when MAS had pre-delivery line/imdocs with mine. To many he is a hero.

pvjin

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:54 am

Saw that article earlier, to me he seems like a very experienced pilot who really loves his job, otherwise he definitely wouldn't build such a nice FS setup during his free time... It seems to have Saitek yoke & CH Products pedals similar to mine, though a lot more screens & other great stuff.

So far to me it would seem like MH370 was flown by a great crew, whatever happened I think they did their best to save the aircraft.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

PHX Flyer

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:03 am

This thread does not live up to its promise, that is, the answer to the question who Captain Zaharie Shah is.

I scanned over the blog, and learned that he was not just an airline captain, but also an aviation enthusiast. He gives some insight in his private life, but no references to family or loved ones. He also had a love for cooking. The comments are mostly in English, but there is one post that's kind of interesting, which is in a foreign language (I assume it's Malay), by a user with the handle 'Jar'. It appears that he is accusing him of something, based on the reaction further down. From the context, I gathered 'Jar accused him of being an atheist, based on his youtube likes, but please - anybody correct me, if I'm wrong. Given that Malaysia is an islamic state, it would be understandable, why someone, who was trying to commemorate him, would actively steer readers away from focusing on his private beliefs. To me, someone who likes Bill Maher and Seth MacFarlane, is immediately less suspicious, or not at all ...  
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Coal

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:13 am

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 5):
Did you check out that flight simulator he built in his home? Just WOW!!!
Quoting KC135Hydraulics (Reply 9):
I must say... that flight simulator setup is incredible.

Agreed, that set up is amazing! He probably didn't get enough flying or enough destinations on MH that he continued to fly at home! Really cool.

Quoting liftsifter (Reply 10):
This seemed like a really biased article written on some random blog. I don't know of what the affiliations are, but deifnetely someone who likes a person who might have actually been the cause of hundreds of deaths. We don't know anything yet.
Quoting cabochris (Reply 11):
So he's a open minded atheist anti-corruption/establishment homosexual sympathizer... in Muslim country, Suspicious?

Agreed, and perhaps he was a supporter of Anwar Ibrahim, the opposition leader in Malaysia who has been jailed twice (or is it three times now?) on false sodomy charges in order to prevent him from running against the establishment, e.g. UNMO.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

cabochris

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 am

Can we hear about the FO? I would take a leak once the cruise check list was complete....

cabochris

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:09 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 14):

Teoh Beng Hock

winstonlegthigh

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:39 am

I clicked on the link and didn't even bother to look past the first picture accompanying the article- anyone who takes selfies is a questionable character in my book.

(joking, obviously-great read and hoping for the best)

[Edited 2014-03-10 01:47:47]
Never has gravity been so uplifting.

AirAfreak

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:09 am

I thought this forum belongs to "news" and "info" and "facts"... so, why is this thread topic on this "civil aviation" thread?

Not one reply has anything concrete related to MH370..... just sayin'.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

PlaneInsomniac

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 am

Quoting tioloko100 (Thread starter):
To many (including myself) he is a hero as they are speculations that the aircraft might be heading back to malaysia before going off the radar

With all due respect, but this is getting ridiculous. We know absolutely nothing about the cause of the crash. Absolutely nothing. People are asking about "conclusions" to be drawn for civil aviation and to praise the actions of the crew. Based on what?

This is getting similar to the Helios crash some years ago, when a.net had "concluded" over a dozen threads based on the "known facts" that "beyond any doubt" the "only possible explanation" was a nerve-gas-based terror attack.

How well did that work out, again?

A plane crashed. There possibly were two people with stolen passports onboard. Everything from inflight breakup due to material fatigue to an bomb entirely unrelated to the passport thieves - and everything in between - is still possible.

We will AT LEAST have to wait until the CVR and FDR are found. Even then, the notion that this board of amateurs sitting at their computers can "conclude" the cause of the crash is ridiculous.

Let's wait for the official report to come out in a couple years. Let's talk then.
Am I cured? Slept 5 hours on last long-haul flight...

dirktraveller

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 am

From what I've seen on the blog posted in the opening post, I see a fellow aviation enthusiast who happened to land himself on one of the luckiest job an av-geek could have think of, flying a B777 for Malaysia Airlines.

Undoubtedly he has a strong passion for the job and I'm confident that he and his crew were doing their best possible to save flight MH370 that night, regardless of his religious or political views.

Although what I observed is based on very limited resources, he does not seemed to be those kind of pilot that would deter his colleagues from providing crucial advices like in the OZ accident last year. Again, I could be wrong on this one as well, but we could only know this for sure from fellow MH pilots that have flown with him.

tonystan

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:03 am

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 20):
Undoubtedly he has a strong passion for the job and I'm confident that he and his crew were doing their best possible to save flight MH370 that night, regardless of his religious or political views.

Again, no disrespect,

However how do we even know anyone onboard that aircraft knew what happened when it happened???? It is appearing more and more likely that it just disintegrated, there may not have been anytime to do anything!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

DrColenzo

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:24 am

I have to agree with the sentiment above that beyond a few articles about Captain Shah we know little veering on nothing about the flight crew or the causes of the accident.

As the bloggers running down Captain Shah and accusing him of X.Y and Z, they are pure scumbags and should be ignored and are very, very symptomatic of some of the trends among certain fanatic groups in Malaysia that are linked to the ruling party and political factions.

And if he was an atheist and gay, so what? I doubt he was but so what? This is the 21st century and in any truly civilised society at ease with itself no one would care about such things, really.

The thing here is to pray for the dead and hope their families get resolution soon and do nothing else beside until we know more.

aviasian

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:32 am

In the same way some posters have said Captain Zaharie Shah cannot be labeled a "hero" ... we also do not know enough about him or the circumstances of this accident to say that he "might have caused the death of more than 200 passengers".

I also do not know the Captain ... and think that the blog merely is a sort of tribute to the crew members on the ill-fated flight. And to those who know him personally, he may have been seen as a "hero" for other things and events that they have personally shared.

So let's leave it at that ... and wish the good Captain and First Officer and the rest of the crew the same that we have wished for the 227 passengers of MH370.

After all the SAR operations is complete, after the plane is located and the fate of all is established ... and investigations have arrived at a conclusion as to what really happened ... it is still not too late for us - those who do not know him - to pin a label on the Captain and his crew.

KC Sim
Singapore

strfyr51

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:15 pm

Quoting cabochris (Reply 11):
So he's a open minded atheist anti-corruption/establishment homosexual sympathizer... in Muslim country, Suspicious? And that biased article was made by his friends and co-workers, I flew with him at Flightsaftey when MAS had pre-delivery line/imdocs with mine. To many he is a hero.

if one were to look at Muslims as a non-Muslim , judging from their rhetoric and what they've proposed for infidels in wanting Sharia Law even in Non-muslim countries.. (like the USA) Not believing in Mohamad much Less Allah could be enough to want him killed . And Not being Critical of Homosexuals?? Contrary to popular belief?? Even in the USA that might be frowned upon in some areas and In Islamic countries may Very WELL get you killed. Even though we all know that homosexuality is a common phenomenon,

dirktraveller

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 21):
However how do we even know anyone onboard that aircraft knew what happened when it happened???? It is appearing more and more likely that it just disintegrated, there may not have been anytime to do anything!

Again, with all respect for the crew members flying MH370 that night, I did not jump to the conclusion about the flight crew being a hero on this instance.

What I was simply trying to say that from this blog alone, it does not paint a picture of a desperate crew that would deliberately endanger a flight (one of the possible theories looked at in the MH370 disappearance threads).

The crew might have been spared no time to react due to in-flight disintegration, or they might have tried their best to save their aircraft, which as you said we do not know which scenario it is currently. But looking at the blog itself, I believe a theory that the flight crew being suspiciously responsible for the flight's disappearance is unlikely. I hope this would clear things up.

[Edited 2014-03-10 06:16:28]

[Edited 2014-03-10 06:38:39]

Chicagoflight

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:28 pm

I envy this man who clearly had a passion and great love of flight and all things aviation. He is a grown up kid who was able to turn his hobby into a profession . I have always been so envious and impressed with people who manage to accomplish this. Just from reading the article and viewing his pictures, I'm able to tell that this man truly loved what he was doing .

b747400erf

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Quoting PlaneInsomniac (Reply 19):
With all due respect, but this is getting ridiculous. We know absolutely nothing about the cause of the crash. Absolutely nothing. People are asking about "conclusions" to be drawn for civil aviation and to praise the actions of the crew. Based on what?

This is the internet, where people speculate on everything, if you don't like it there are other forms of entertainment for you.

BryanG

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Quoting chicagoflight (Reply 26):
clearly had a passion and great love of flight

Agreed. Anyone who went through the effort and expense to build that sim setup has gotta be addicted to the art of piloting, day and night. He doesn't strike me as one of those grizzled, disenchanted captains who's simply counting the days until retirement.

neutrino

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Quoting MSNfan (Reply 7):
RIP Captain, and RIP to the rest of the crew and pax on board the flight.

Isn't that too soon?
Granted that after almost three full days, the chances of them still with us in the mortal world are minuscule. But until solid evidence of their presumed demise, who is to say affirmatively that some or all of them are not alive and incommunicado somewhere? We just don't know so, until then, hold your horses...or hearses for that matter.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

rwy04lga

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Quoting PlaneInsomniac (Reply 19):
Even then, the notion that this board of amateurs sitting at their computers can "conclude" the cause of the crash is ridiculous.

Not counting myself among them, there are more than a few on this board who are NOT amateurs. Very many professional aviators post on these forums. Don't assume that just because you're not a professional, nobody else is.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

DrColenzo

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:24 pm

Quoting neutrino (Reply 29):
Isn't that too soon?
Granted that after almost three full days, the chances of them still with us in the mortal world are minuscule. But until solid evidence of their presumed demise, who is to say affirmatively that some or all of them are not alive and incommunicado somewhere? We just don't know so, until then, hold your horses...or hearses for that matter.

Hear hear.

This is singularly the strangest incident I have come across and we don't know what has happened; whilst it more likely we will get bad news about the fate of MH370 than good, the sheer lack of information about the fate of this flight gives us a tiny glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, something miraculous has happened.

mpsrent

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 pm

What the blog illustrates is that he certainly was an aviation enthusiasts. Sadly it appears he passed away doing what he loved best.

brilondon

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:50 pm

All the negative commentators can go jump in a lake, I won't label him a hero or villain about this incident or even a victim as this time although it really doesn't look good as to what may have happened and the longer it is until the plane is found the more remote a chance for any survivors.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

airbazar

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Quoting mpsrent (Reply 32):
What the blog illustrates is that he certainly was an aviation enthusiasts.

Doesn't that describe just about every pilot there is, including some who have commited suicide and tooken the passengers and crew with them? I mean, who could dedicate themselves to the life of a pilot without at the very least being an enthusiast of the industry? Not many, if any.

SuseJ772

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Quoting cabochris (Reply 15):
Can we hear about the FO? I would take a leak once the cruise check list was complete....

That's what I'd like to know too. Sadly, I think if this isn't terrorism, it is going to land on the First Officer. The experience gap was huge and the timing does lead me to think the FO stepped out for a second.

Quoting airbazar (Reply 34):
Doesn't that describe just about every pilot there is, including some who have commited suicide and tooken the passengers and crew with them?

I would not agree with this. There are a lot of pilots where this is a paycheck and most certainly don't have in-home flight simulators or RC.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

MSNfan

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 am

Quoting neutrino (Reply 29):
Quoting drcolenzo (Reply 31):

Fair enough, at the time I think there were a couple leads, but now that things are pretty much back to square one as far as where this plane is and what happened to it, I'll gladly retract that statement until substantial evidence proves otherwise. I am dumbfounded by this whole situation, the more time that passes, the more possibilities seem to emerge!
Dentistry: Because everyone smiles in the same language!

slvrblt

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Crazy as this may sound, it's not even clear that this aircraft has met with an accident. He's certainly down somewhere - but he might be sitting intact, on his landing gear. And that scares the hell out of me.

Triple-7's sized- planes aren't going to have accidents and leave no traces. The South China sea/Vietnam Gulf is shallow enough that seat cushions/bodies/something would have floated up by now; you've got military vessels with sophisticated sonar and listening devices doing searches and listening for pinging CVR's. Nothing. Even at 12000 feet down, AF441 began giving up some traces/debris after it went down. Yes, MH370 could have flown on and crashed in a jungle or in a remote area, but if something that big hit the ground, SOMEONE would have known it by now. That flash would have lit up somebody's air-defense radars.
How much gas did MH370 have on board that day?? A fueled-up triple can go a HELL of a long ways. It's almost like a Tom Clancy novel, imagine what one or two bad guys could do if they gained cockpit access.......and knew how to fly a big plane. What do we know about that very young first officer???
I know this sounds crazy, but remember 9-11....who would have thought THAT would happen. I hope I'm just being neurotic, but yes, I'm worried.
..everything works out in the end.

ukair

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:17 am

not related to captain zaharie shah directly but his co pilot fariq abdul hamid the daily mail are running a story about malasian airlines pilots inviting female pax into the cockpit during flights dont know if this has been posted before looks like pretty low level reporting though

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...de-cockpit-entire-flight-2011.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos