reffado

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 11

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:45 am

If they never find anything, which I seriously doubt, this will be RG 967 all over again. Except this time, instead of 4, over 200 families will demand answers.

[Edited 2014-03-10 19:50:45]

tyler81190

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:46 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 193):
Explosives would leave a huge debris field - easily found at daylight. Enough C-4 to make a B777 vanish would be more weight than the plane could carry, and it would have to be very carefully distributed through the fuselage, wings and empennage to create that much destruction.

Interesting point of view... While I agree that explosives would have left a lot of debris, your level of detail probably guarantees that you will never see TSA precheck. haha But the info does help with the bomb theory.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 195):
Certainly not.

I'm all for reasonable speculation, but some of the things being thrown about here are simply beyond comprehension.

Odds are that it was some sort of benign technical fault or episode of human error.

I would be relieved with such an outcome, but with those kinds of issues, and the lack of any debris in day 4, I fear a simple technical fault is not the answer...

SuseJ772

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:46 am

Quoting DBCooper (Reply 174):
In the interest of leaving no stone unturned...have the authorities checked that simulator to see if there are any "interesting" scenarios on it?

After I proposed the Chinese Espionage theory, someone private emailed me and we were discussing the same thing. I was thinking the First Officer because he is younger and in theory less respected. But the other persons point was that anyone how has that much of a simulator in a case like this, might be worth looking into. Which I thought was a good point that I hadn't thought of.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 185):
Am I only one that thinks that they'll eventually find out the reason for the crash is something not crazy and it's just taking them a while to find it?
Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 195):
Certainly not.

I agree. Even with my proposed theory of Chinese Espionage / Highjacking / Theft of the plane, I still wouldn't bet on that and would more than likely be something less crazy and more mundane than that.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

hivue

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 201):
I fear a simple technical fault is not the answer...

He didn't say "simple" (although "benign" would hardly apply either). Most aircraft accidents have a complex set of causes.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 am

Quoting JettTracer (Reply 184):
How many explosives (say C-4) will be required to make an airliner this size to "vanish" in small pieces?

A lot. Even an explosion as massive as TWA800 left much of the plane in large pieces.

Quoting JettTracer (Reply 184):
Can I just check what usually is the standard protocol when an airliner is found off the radar?
Will the air force jets be deployed to do a look out for the missing airliner? If yes, how long after the missing status is reported?

ICAO defines three phases depending on what is known and so forth. There are defined recommendations about what should be done at each phase.
- Uncertainty phase (INCERFA) : a situation wherein uncertainty exists as to the safety of an aircraft and its occupants.
- Alert phase (ALERFA) : a situation wherein apprehension exists as to the safety of an aircraft and its occupants.
- Distress phase (DETRESFA) : a situation wherein there is a reasonable certainty that an aircraft and its occupants are threatened by grave and imminent danger and require immediate assistance.

The time scale to move from one phase to the next really depends from case to case.

In section three of this ICAO document, you can read all the things that should happen for each phase. http://legacy.icao.int/SARafrica/docs/RCC_Operations_Manual_en.pdf
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Boeing717200

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting DeltaAtl (Reply 199):

Gotta wonder what that's going to cost in terms of satellite lifespan because of the fuel burn. Of course who knows what technology China has managed to get their hands on. NASA has been flirting with some pretty slick ion thrusters lately.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

marktci

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:56 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 185):
Am I only one that thinks that they'll eventually find out the reason for the crash is something not crazy and it's just taking them a while to find it?

I'm not hating on those speculating but some of the ideas being thrown around are absolutely ridiculous. I know a structural failure leading to a crash and them taking unusually long to find it is more 'boring' but still seems a lot more plausible than the crazy crap being discussed.

While I agree that some of the theories are rather crazy, the simplest theories don't really work either. Structural failure would have led to a debris field in a fairly predictable area (i.e., heading and altitude and speed should narrow the range). The longer we go without finding any debris, the less likely your simple explanation works.

Occam's Razor doesn't say that the simplest explanation is always right. Instead, "the razor states that one should proceed to simpler theories until simplicity can be traded for greater explanatory power. The simplest available theory need not be most accurate." In this case, greater explanatory power is needed than simply saying the place fell apart at altitude.

DeltaAtl

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:56 am

Large debris fourth off Southern Vietnam island of Vung Tau

http://bit.ly/1fR73oM

Boeing717200

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:00 am

Quoting DeltaAtl (Reply 207):

Fingers crossed.

tyler81190

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 am

Quoting DeltaAtl (Reply 207):
Large debris fourth off Southern Vietnam island of Vung Tau

I thought that has been reported earlier?

LTC8K6

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:03 am

How would you spot debris from a cruising airliner? Binoculars?

Seems difficult.

[Edited 2014-03-10 20:04:02]

Gatorman96

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:05 am

I think the major takeaway from this incident thus far is that there is an insane amount of trash/pollution in the Gulf of Thailand.

solarflyer22

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:05 am

Quoting suseJ772 (Reply 202):
After I proposed the Chinese Espionage theory, someone private emailed me and we were discussing the same thing. I was thinking the First Officer because he is younger and in theory less respected. But the other persons point was that anyone how has that much of a simulator in a case like this, might be worth looking into. Which I thought was a good point that I hadn't thought of.

I seriously doubt that. It turns out that CNN flew with that exact same co-pilot on another flight a few weeks ago while doing a story for CNN Business. They were covering the financial turnaround of Malaysian Airlines. He was described as an ideal co-pilot who made a perfect touchdown w the CNN reporter in the jump seat. The Captain was also extremely qualified.

gulfstream650

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:07 am

That vung Tao debris was reported yesterday but we have not been updated since.
I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe

tyler81190

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:09 am

Quoting gatorman96 (Reply 211):
I think the major takeaway from this incident thus far is that there is an insane amount of trash/pollution in the Gulf of Thailand.

Agreed...

Stretch

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 am

Was there any update on when the news conference was going to take place?

Gatorman96

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:11 am

There is a solid chance this was covered in the previous 10 threads (which I have followed closely), but if authorities expanded their SAR mission into the Malacca Strait due to a potential turn back, why wouldn't they be searching the portion of land where Malaysia and Thailand meet that separates the two bodies of water?

It seems much more likely if there was a turn back, they would've ended up on land instead of the Malacca Strait.

burchfiel

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:13 am

In this era of high-definition satellite imagery, why couldn't you just have a couple satellites take lots of high definition photos of the surrounding area, then have researchers (or an automated program) search for what appears to be the aircraft or its debris?

Gatorman96

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:15 am

Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 217):
In this era of high-definition satellite imagery, why couldn't you just have a couple satellites take lots of high definition photos of the surrounding area, then have researchers (or an automated program) search for what appears to be the aircraft or its debris?

Already being done.

Quoting Toni_ (Reply 193):
http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

Thought I'd share this here. This website has satellite images that were taken last sunday. Anyone can go through them and tag anything unusual or familiar. Bit of crowdsourcing might help.

Boeing717200

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:15 am

They have to be in position to do so and it can take quite a bit of fuel to do so. It seems China is positioning satellites for this, but they don't move that quickly. Parking a satellite can even take a couple of days. No one knows what tech China has at their disposal, just that they have the capability to move what sounds like 10 birds.

[Edited 2014-03-10 20:18:29]

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:16 am

Quoting marktci (Reply 206):
the less likely your simple explanation works.

My simple explanation?

Anyway, I never said it had to be simple, I'm sure multiple factors were involved. I just don't think that just because we still haven't found chunks of rubbish in a huge sea that it had to do with meteors, terrorists flying the plane to China's reverse engineering island, or a wild string of extraordinarily unlikely events

That plus the fact the same pieces of said garbage gets reported about 20 times each on these threads  

CBRboy

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:16 am

Quoting gatorman96 (Reply 216):
why wouldn't they be searching the portion of land where Malaysia and Thailand meet that separates the two bodies of water?

Probably because it is unlikely, given the population density, that an aircraft crash on land could have gone unnoticed and unreported.

stuyyz

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:20 am

That is exactly what is happening here....

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

aryonoco

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:24 am

BBC Persian is reporting that the two passengers on board the plane who were using false documents were Iranian refugees on their path to Europe to claim asylum.

This was my first thought as well when the Salesperson of the tickets turned out to be Iranian.

Iranians don't need a visa to visit Malaysia for tourist purposes so it's a very popular holiday destination, as well as a launching pad for those seeking asylum. Until a few months ago most of these people would then get on a boat from Indonesia and try to reach Australian waters but as the Australian government has now significantly tightened its border control and doesn't offer refugees settlement in Australia, they are thinking of other destinations (mostly Europe).

These two people most likely entered Malaysia with their own Iranian passports, bought these passports (or were given these passports by their handler) and were on their way to Europe to claim asylum. Depending on your view of asylum, their actions are illegal, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with the plane's disappearance.

Links (in Persian) http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/iran/20...39_missing_airplane_malaysia.shtml

[Edited 2014-03-10 20:26:51]

aftgaffe

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:25 am

Working theory

Three assumptions:

1) The plane lost secondary radar contact / its transponder functionality over the Gulf of Thailand (this we seem to know for certain)
2) The plane did not go down in the immediate vicinity of where it lost radar contact (a true assumption, yes, but a pretty reasonable one I think given the scope of the search effort in the GoT that has so far turned up nothing)
3) There were no communications from the pilots in between the loss of radar contact and when the plane went down (crashed, ditched, landed somewhere, whatever).

Put differently, assumption number 2 is that the plane flew for a significant time after the event that caused the loss of radar contact.

Assumptions 2 and 3 combine, meanwhile, to leave us with the following: since it is highly unlikely that there would be significant flying (i.e., more than a few minutes like AF 447) following an event causing a loss of radar contact without the pilots attempting communications, the pilots either could not communicate (I don't mean cause they were in the throes of an emergency but because comms were non-functional or the pilots were incapacitated) or chose not to communicate.

So in short:

1) Loss of radar contact,
followed by
2) Significant flying,
with
3) No communications during that flying period.

What could explain this?

To me, the most likely culprits are:

1) A fire that knocks out the transponder and electronics and eventually causes the plane to crash
2) A hijacking

Pilot suicide would, I suppose, also fit, but not as tightly (what would explain the significant flying period), plus it seems like Captain and F/O were both held in very high esteem.

What say ya'll?

marktci

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:25 am

Quoting (Reply 207):
Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 220):
Anyway, I never said it had to be simple, I'm sure multiple factors were involved. I just don't think that just because we still haven't found chunks of rubbish in a huge sea that it had to do with meteors, terrorists flying the plane to China's reverse engineering island, or a wild string of extraordinarily unlikely events

I agree with all of this.

It's just that "structural failure leading to a crash" doesn't explain what it happening here. If the plane dropped out of the sky, it would have been found by now. If it continued flying from its last reported position, it should have been reporting its position.

Even the debris field (which I thought was debunked yesterday) that is some 200 miles form the last reported position doesn't jibe with structural failure/no communication.

I believe there is an explanation that doesn't require aliens/reverse engineering island/etc as well.

[Edited 2014-03-10 20:27:32]

Gatorman96

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 am

Quoting cbrboy (Reply 221):

Probably because it is unlikely, given the population density, that an aircraft crash on land could have gone unnoticed and unreported.

Fair enough. But wouldn't it be also as unlikely, that an aircraft in such distress to the point that it attempted to turn back, would fly ~300km across land, making no distress call or attempt to land at an airfield, only to crash in another body of water? Seems completely weird to me.

I fully believe the rescuers have little to no information on the whereabouts of MH370. The search area is so haphazard to the point they are willing to search the Strait all the way up to Southeast Vietnam because debris was spotted (how many times have we heard that)?

At risk of sounding totally insensitive, I think the SAR effort needs to take a step back, regroup and come up with a new plan. This is a recovery mission at this point so there really isn't any rush to retrieve the aircraft. They need to stop tweeting out pictures of discarded toilets seats and calling them "aircraft windows." Release news when a piece of debris is actually confirmed to be a part of the aircraft.

anplatinum

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 am

Browsing previous postings, I haven't seen this suggestion.

Perhaps there was an unconfined engine disintegration similar to QF32 where there was significant damage to the aircraft structure and systems and they were lucky to survive. It would only take a little more damage to bring down something like a B777. It could also explain the lack of distress signals, either there was damage to the communications systems, or the cockpit was damaged by debris, or the crew were too busy trying to control the aircraft as what appeared to have happened with AF447

DeltaAtl

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 am

Quoting gulfstream650 (Reply 213):

That was off Tho Chu island in Vietnam

Dalavia

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 am

Actually the population density is quite low in the central mountainous area.

I have proposed another theory to explain the lack of searching on land. See reply 12 earlier in this thread.

DeltaAtl

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 am

Even though the possible new debris field is off the beaten path (Vung Tau)... Let's hope it's related so we can move forward. The news article was updated March [email protected] 10:10am

YULWinterSkies

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:39 am

Quoting samair (Reply 4):
I don't understand why the authorities are still looking for wreckage, they are assuming that the aircraft has broken up (it's never good to assume anything).

I don't think they are assuming anything. rather they are trying anything they could... and searching for debris is logical to do, unless the aircraft sunk in one piece, which most frequently is not the case.

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 69):
Does anyone know if meals would be served on this overnight flight? I have a hard time seeing them open the cockpit door to take a leak so shortly after takeoff as well. Don't forget it was 2:40 AM local time.

On the contrary, pilots are humans. 45 minutes into the flight when cruise altitude is reached is the first opportunity they would get to go if they need to go shortly after take off... leaving a short opportunity for a potential act of suicide or a hijacking.

Who expected otherwise (about the trash)? Yes, the oceans are a giant open-sky dumpster.

Quoting aryonoco (Reply 223):
BBC Persian is reporting that the two passengers on board the plane who were using false documents were Iranian refugees on their path to Europe to claim asylum.

This was my first thought as well when the Salesperson of the tickets turned out to be Iranian.

Iranians don't need a visa to visit Malaysia for tourist purposes so it's a very popular holiday destination, as well as a launching pad for those seeking asylum. Until a few months ago most of these people would then get on a boat from Indonesia and try to reach Australian waters but as the Australian government has now significantly tightened its border control and doesn't offer refugees settlement in Australia, they are thinking of other destinations (mostly Europe).

These two people most likely entered Malaysia with their own Iranian passports, bought these passports (or were given these passports by their handler) and were on their way to Europe to claim asylum. Depending on your view of asylum, their actions are illegal, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with the plane's disappearance.

Links (in Persian) http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/iran/20...39_missing_airplane_malaysia.shtml

Very plausible indeed. I am increasingly leaning towards the fake passport guys and the crash being two coincidental events...
When I doubt... go running!

boacvc10

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:43 am

What does the a.net community think of this man's claim of possibly seeing the airliner ... descending at high speed towards the South China Sea about 1.45am on the day flight MH370 went missing ...

Read more: MISSING MH370: Man claims possible sighting of airliner - Latest - New Straits Times

Does this make any sense? We have charts, we have positions, we have estimates ... could someone plot it out based upon his position in Ketereh ?
Up, up and Away!

marktci

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:44 am

Quoting DeltaAtl (Reply 228):
That was off Tho Chu island in Vietnam

Actually, the Vung Tao debris was reported yesterday. See reply 29 in Part 9.

acabgd

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:48 am

Quoting ANPlatinum (Reply 227):
Perhaps there was an unconfined engine disintegration similar to QF32 where there was significant damage to the aircraft structure and systems and they were lucky to survive. It would only take a little more damage to bring down something like a B777. It could also explain the lack of distress signals, either there was damage to the communications systems, or the cockpit was damaged by debris, or the crew were too busy trying to control the aircraft as what appeared to have happened with AF447

This inflight breakup would leave a large debris field, strewn more or less across the last known position. Dozens of ships and rescue planes already searched this area without finding anything.
CSud,D9,MD8x,D10,Trid,BAC1,A30,31,319,320,321,33,346,B71,72,73,74,75,76,77,L10,S20,A42,A72,T13,T15,F50,F70,F100,B146

vnangia

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:49 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 184):

You're not alone. I proposed a very modest calamity that could explain it a few threads ago involving the repaired area of the wing suffering a metal fatigue event, a tech crew (possibly the FO minding the shop while the captain was using the head) overcompensating, getting spatially disoriented in the darkness of IGARI and CFITing the jet. However, that was before we learnt there was ACARS on the plane and that nothing anomalous was logged.

For one, clouds.

stuyyz

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:50 am

I'm just baffled at this... this was posted on Malaysia Airlines site, 30 minutes ago....

...The search and rescue teams have expanded the scope beyond the flight path. The focus now is on the West Peninsular of Malaysia at the Straits of Malacca....

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/site/dark-site.html

DeltaAtl

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:50 am

Quoting marktci (Reply 233):

Ok thank you- thought the time update of 3/11/14 was speaking of the debris found  

philask

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:51 am

Quoting stuyyz (Reply 237):

I'm just baffled at this... this was posted on Malaysia Airlines site, 30 minutes ago....

...The search and rescue teams have expanded the scope beyond the flight path. The focus now is on the West Peninsular of Malaysia at the Straits of Malacca....

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/e....html

Suggests some new information has come to light.

dvautier

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:53 am

The first officer went suicidal, overpowered the captain, turned off the transponder and augured into the jungles of Thailand. That’s the best I can do.

e195

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 am

Could there have been an ACARS outage?

e195
Nikon D90 & D50 Sigma 70-300mm, 50-500 mm Lens :) oh yea Baby!

vnangia

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:02 am

The focus now is on the West Peninsular of Malaysia at the Straits of Malacca.

Given how relatively crowded the Straits of Malacca are, this has to be a credible eyewitness report. I can't imagine how they could otherwise simultaneously say they last saw the plane near IGARI.

Nuts.

Coal

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:02 am

Quoting boacvc10 (Reply 232):
Does this make any sense? We have charts, we have positions, we have estimates ... could someone plot it out based upon his position in Ketereh ?

Already discussed in Thread 8 or 9 and based on what he said and some of the comments here, it seems not plausible.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

malaysia

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:03 am

Quoting dvautier (Reply 240):
The first officer went suicidal, overpowered the captain, turned off the transponder and augured into the jungles of Thailand. That’s the best I can do.

"This is not the end. This is not the beginning of the end. It is the end of the beginning"

Is the best I can do as well.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

tyler81190

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 am

Quoting vnangia (Reply 242):
Given how relatively crowded the Straits of Malacca are, this has to be a credible eyewitness report. I can't imagine how they could otherwise simultaneously say they last saw the plane near IGARI.

eyewitness report taking 4 days to come forward?!?

Enobar

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 am

I've been trying to keep abreast of all the threads so apologies if this is a repeated idea but...

Would it be possible that the jet was flying with the crew incapacitated and it ventured into military airspace resulting in the plane being shot down? If it flew into parts of China or even North Korea I wonder if its possible that it was shot down - either as an unknown aircraft, or as a result of the military being aware of a hijack scenario.

If that were the case, would it not be possible that the military would deny the events in order to avoid an international dipolmatic incident?

(Excuse me for talking from under my tin foil hat...)

boacvc10

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:07 am

I'm just baffled at this.

Could their navigation system have failed or gone kaput? Smoke/Fire in cockpit? CFIT ?
Up, up and Away!

tyler81190

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:07 am

Quoting Enobar (Reply 246):
If that were the case, would it not be possible that the military would deny the events in order to avoid an international dipolmatic incident?

Still, that means the military of whatever country shot it down would have to clean it up in a hurry so it could continue to be "lost"

Anything is possible, but I think that may be less likely.

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:08 am

Quoting E195 (Reply 241):
Could there have been an ACARS outage?

e195

As has been mentioned repeatedly, the best info at this time is that Malaysia Airlines probably does not subscribe to ACARS for its 777s. Subscription is a paid service.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

vnangia

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:15 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 245):
eyewitness report taking 4 days to come forward?!?

Well, the news first surfaced yesterday, so three days, but the focus hadn't shifted there until today. That could simply be time to get confirmation from more than one ship, or it could be the time before a ship docked in, say, Singapore, the ship crew heard that a plane was missing, and realized that they saw something.

What's completely confusing to me is their reporting of where they last saw the plane. Are they saying they saw secondary at IGARI and then the transponder went dead, and primary returns from radar showed the plane moving out over the Malacca Strait or are they saying the last primary was also over IGARI? My guess is they mean the former given their actions but their press releases are suggesting the latter.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos