Enobar

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 11

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:16 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 248):
Still, that means the military of whatever country shot it down would have to clean it up in a hurry so it could continue to be "lost"

True... but of course with the last known location being over water and the focused search area being there, we are up to 4 days now of potential cleanup for a land crash location - or it could have been in a remote area? I'm not ultimately sold on the idea.. i just find it so weird that zero debris has turned up at all and am thinking outside the box.

flyenthu

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:16 am

Quoting vnangia (Reply 235):

I mentioned about the wing issue and how there is very little attention being paid to it. I find it is not just coincidence that the same aircraft with wing damage is involved here. I As you mentioned, maybe the repair didn't work well, fatigue or other issues developed that were not identified leading to a catastrophic event.

e195

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:17 am

The aircraft was delivered to Malaysia Airlines in 2002 and have since recorded 53,465.21 hours with a total of 7525 cycles. All Malaysia Airlines aircraft are equipped with continuous data monitoring system called the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) which transmits data automatically. Nevertheless, there were no distress calls and no information was relayed.

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 249):
As been mentioned repeatedly

The above is from the Malaysia Website page, does that not imply they had it and it was working / installed on the aircraft?

E195
Nikon D90 & D50 Sigma 70-300mm, 50-500 mm Lens :) oh yea Baby!

fiscal

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:18 am

This is from the latest official press release from Malaysia Airlines

"All Malaysia Airlines aircraft are equipped with continuous data monitoring system called the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) which transmits data automatically. Nevertheless, there were no distress calls and no information was relayed."

tyler81190

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:25 am

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 252):
I mentioned about the wing issue and how there is very little attention being paid to it. I find it is not just coincidence that the same aircraft with wing damage is involved here. I As you mentioned, maybe the repair didn't work well, fatigue or other issues developed that were not identified leading to a catastrophic event.

Been discussed slightly, unless 25% or more of the wing was ripped off in flight and/or hit the empenage, it is doubtful this would have brought the airplane down. Plus there would have been some kind of wreckage somewhere to be found?

vnangia

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:32 am

Quoting fiscal (Reply 254):

Uhoh. If that's the case, then that to me sounds like avionics failure or pilot suicide.

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 255):

Well, my suggestion was more modest - just the bit that was repaired rips, causing a rightward roll, disengaging AP. Inexperienced tech crew overcompensates left causing further damage to aircraft and it goes downhill from there.

wxmeddler

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:32 am

Just came across the feed:

AP Mar 11, 12:21am via SocialFlow
BREAKING: Malaysia Airlines says west coast of country now the focus of search for missing plane.

flyenthu

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 am

Quoting tyler81190 (Reply 255):

The absence of debris in the ocean is very perplexing. Although, others have suggested that maybe the plane was more intact than being speculated at impact which might explain the lack of debris.

Also, may be it didn't impact water but crashed in land. The Straits Times are now reporting that the remote island of Tho Chu will now be searched. But, if land, then why no smoke?

This is crazy challenging circumstance!  

KELPkid

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 am

Quoting E195 (Reply 253):
secs ago) and read 2275 times:The aircraft was delivered to Malaysia Airlines in 2002 and have since recorded 53,465.21 hours with a total of 7525 cycles. All Malaysia Airlines aircraft are equipped with continuous data monitoring system called the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) which transmits data automatically. Nevertheless, there were no distress calls and no information was relayed.

That means the plane flew an average stage length of 7 hours for its entire life    I was going to say something about how Asian carriers fly their widebodies on really short segments, but that appears to not be the case here...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

deltaSEAalsaka

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:38 am

Quoting wxmeddler (Reply 257):

I'm not great with geography but wouldn't that be the other side of the country from the last radar country or am I completely wrong.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:39 am

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 252):
mentioned about the wing issue and how there is very little attention being paid to it. I find it is not just coincidence that the same aircraft with wing damage is involved here. I As you mentioned, maybe the repair didn't work well, fatigue or other issues developed that were not identified leading to a catastrophic event.

It is possible and I'm sure the investigators are looking at it. However planes are repaired all the time and this repair was certified so it is not, per se, an unusual or worrying data point.

Besides, there's not much that can be done with this information until the plane is found.

Quoting E195 (Reply 253):

The aircraft was delivered to Malaysia Airlines in 2002 and have since recorded 53,465.21 hours with a total of 7525 cycles. All Malaysia Airlines aircraft are equipped with continuous data monitoring system called the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) which transmits data automatically. Nevertheless, there were no distress calls and no information was relayed.

As been mentioned repeatedly

The above is from the Malaysia Website page, does that not imply they had it and it was working / installed on the aircraft?

Awesome. Thanks for correction. Must have missed that bit.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

YVRLTN

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:42 am

Quoting danvs (Reply 167):
dislodgment of dangerous cargo

Has MH published a cargo list to confirm if any hazmat on board? Undeclared or insufficiently packed DG cargo or in luggage is more likely than terrorism IMO. Not that the cargo needs to be DG to cause a problem dislodging (National 744 Afghanistan).

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 182):
lack of communication opportunity/attempt in a hijacking could be explained by crew involvement, sort of like Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy (without that crashing into the Capitol).

Or recent real life events like ET to FCO ending up in GVA or LAM over Botswana.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 184):
Am I only one that thinks that they'll eventually find out the reason for the crash is something not crazy and it's just taking them a while to find it?

I'm not hating on those speculating but some of the ideas being thrown around are absolutely ridiculous. I know a structural failure leading to a crash and them taking unusually long to find it is more 'boring' but still seems a lot more plausible than the crazy crap being discussed.

Just my 2¢... the ocean is a big place, even in a crowded area. It's 2014 but there are still gaps in our technology and maybe this supposed crash will lead to some changes in that area

Agree - so many more likely outcomes. Whatever happened, how ever large or small the pieces, they simply have not been found yet. From the last posts, it seems they could have been looking in the wrong place for whatever reason.

Just wondering about an insecure cargo door - would it be possible for one to blow out and cause a rapid decompression? I believe it has happened before but cant remember any examples.

Quoting gatorman96 (Reply 226):
the SAR effort

Does anyone know what SAR equipment Vietnam has? I know they have brand new Viking Twin Otters. Just curious and wondering if they should be asking for help from more ably equipped parties.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

stuyyz

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:42 am

Next press conference at 3pm...

KC135Hydraulics

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:44 am

Don't know if this has been discussed, but AvHerald is reporting a large debris field spotted on 10 March 2014 by an overflying Cathy Pacific flight. Might be worth looking at?

See link, highlights in yellow are current news update:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0
MSgt, USAF
KC-135R / C-17A Pneudraulic Systems Mechanic Supervisor

DeltaB717

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:50 am

Quoting stuyyz (Reply 263):
Next press conference at 3pm...

3pm Malaysia time?

JimJupiter

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:54 am

Quoting KC135Hydraulics (Reply 263):
Might be worth looking at?

Has been looked at - false alarm.
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:55 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 262):
Quoting gatorman96 (Reply 226):
the SAR effort

Does anyone know what SAR equipment Vietnam has? I know they have brand new Viking Twin Otters. Just curious and wondering if they should be asking for help from more ably equipped parties.

Vietnam has three An-26 searching. I'm thinking the modernity or type of plane isn't really that relevant when it comes to visual scanning anyway. I know a guy who used to spot fish for fishing boats using an old Cessna 172.

I think it is eight countries involved by this point anyway so plenty of modern equipment floating and flying. If they need a super-modern helicopter at some point, there are quite a few whizzing available in the vicinity.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 262):
Just wondering about an insecure cargo door - would it be possible for one to blow out and cause a rapid decompression? I believe it has happened before but cant remember any examples.

You might be thinking about Turkish Airlines flight 981 (a DC-10) and a few others. It is a possibility but losing a door should not bring down the aircraft. The floor collapsed on Turkish 981 due to the decompression. This design flaw has been remedied in subsequent planes.

[Edited 2014-03-10 21:56:40]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Mikey711MN

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:03 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 261):
Awesome. Thanks for correction. Must have missed that bit.

Agreed, but something that admittedly bothers me about the PR is that the statement could be technically true AND that the airline doesn't subscribe to ACARS, no?

Not trying to be pedantic here, but a few threads back seemed to mention that MH does not subscribe to ACARS. The only way to reconcile the PR statement with that is to critically evaluate the word choice.

Perhaps it's the fading optimism in MH - and potentially building impatience with this search - that is jading my view, which I accept too.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

BoeingVista

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:08 am

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 267):
Agreed, but something that admittedly bothers me about the PR is that the statement could be technically true AND that the airline doesn't subscribe to ACARS, no?

Not trying to be pedantic here, but a few threads back seemed to mention that MH does not subscribe to ACARS. The only way to reconcile the PR statement with that is to critically evaluate the word choice.

I agree, its like officially they are supposed to have it but somehow the bill has not been paid so in actuallity they do not...
BV

DeltaB717

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:15 am

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 267):

What was written earlier seems more like supposition on the part of a.net posters, not actual information from MH. Unless I've missed something?

TheRedBaron

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:16 am

First of all my condolences to all the people who perished in this baffling tragedy.

Now entertaining a wild speculation on my part:

What if they had an explosive decompression of one of the cockpit windows, they put the programed altitude to a very low reading . (lets say 1500 feet) and they became incapacitated and locked out, then the airplane got to said altitude flying itself till it ran out of fuel, remember it was a night flight, so the aircraft went down very far away from there search point and radar lost contact due to altitude, also the decompression or whatever happened knocked down the transponder or assorted electrical equipment.... I know the possibility is very low but I think its incredible nothing has been found, so the best explanation is that they are looking in the wrong place.

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

yodobashi

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:20 am

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 270):
What if they had an explosive decompression of one of the cockpit windows, they put the programed altitude to a very low reading . (lets say 1500 feet)

Most pilots I've ever spoken to have stated FL100 as the norm in the event of an explosive decompression ....
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page"

SA7700

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:21 am

Due to its length this thread will be locked. All posts added after the thread lock will be removed for housekeeping purposes only. Please feel free to continue your discussion in part 12 which is available here:

MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 12 (by SA7700 Mar 10 2014 in Civil Aviation)

Thanks and regards,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos