Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cabochris

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 14

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Quoting kevinkevin (Reply 136):

Its a powered up piece of hardware, that only transmits info to support the systems used for ATC or TCAS enabled aircraft. You need to be able to cut the power, there is enough power there to cause an issue potentially if not able to shutdown.

The plane can still be tracked without a transponder, and not all planes have them and routinely military aircraft twill turn them off.

LTC8K6

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Quote:
Adding to the confusion, Tengku Sariffuddin Tengku Ahmad, spokesman for the prime minister’s office, said in a telephone interview that he had checked with senior military officials, who told him there was no evidence that the plane had recrossed the Malaysian peninsula, only that it may have attempted to turn back.

“As far as they know, except for the air turn-back, there is no new development,” Mr. Tengku Sariffuddin, adding that the reported remarks by the air force chief were “not true.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-jet.html?_r=0

davidzill

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:13 pm

I've come up with a new theory that is difficult to disprove at this point. I believe one of the pilots hijacked the aircraft after he incapacitated or killed the other pilot. The lack of radio communication, no ACARS messages alerting to aircraft malfunctions, and no transponder code indicating emergency situations support this theory. Combine this information with the fact that Malaysian radar facilities detected the aircraft flying hundreds of miles off course, very low, on a course that was almost opposite of its planned route to Beijing. If the aircraft was flying that far off course, it was obviously under its own power. I unfortunately think it is unlikely the aircraft made a safe landing at a remote airfield, because at least one person would have sent a text or made a call on the hundreds of smart phones on the aircraft. I believe the pilot who hijacked the aircraft deliberately crashed it, but searchers have not found evidence yet because they are searching an area opposite of where the aircraft actually went. If someone in the passenger cabin hijacked the aircraft, you can bet that about 237 smart phones would be calling and texting someone in a heartbeat. It appears as if the aircraft changed course dramatically immediately after transponder contact was lost. Whatever the case, I believe investigators know a lot more than they are divulging to the media.

Hywel

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Is it conceivable that the plane is “cloaked,” hiding with high-tech electronic warfare weaponry that exists and is used? In fact, this type of technology is precisely the expertise of Freescale, that has 20 employees on board the missing flight.

It could then be used by Asian-based Islamic terrorists as a weapon of mass destruction against civilian or military targets in Asia or the Unites States.

In the last few months, Islamic terror in China has been reaching a crescendo. For example, on October 30, 2013, Chinese police arrested 5 people over a terror attack in Tiananmen Square. Roughly 2 months later on December 16, 2013, it was reported that Chinese police shot and killed 14 suspected terrorists in the northwest Muslim region of China. Two weeks later on December 30, 2013, it was reported that Chinese police killed another 8 “terrorists” in Xinjiang province. A month later on January 25, 2014, it was reported that 12 people were killed after Chinese police attacked terrorists in Xinjiang province. A few weeks later on February 15, 2014, it was reported that China had killed 11 more “terrorists” in the Xinjiang region. Earlier this month on March 1, 2014, Xinjiang terrorists attacked a crowded train station with knives, killing 29 people and injuring 130 in what is now being called the “Chinese 9/11”. Needless to say, a Chinese-based 9/11-style terror attack on the U.S. would be the next step in the evolution of China-based terrorism.

EMA747

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Say for sake of argument that the information is correct and the plane has turned around and headed back, do we know if there has been any suggestions of if it then tried to make a diversion to another airport? Or did it just overfly the peninsular in a relatively straight path?
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

flyingturtle

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 133):

Your ditching theory has one big hole (not in the fuselage, though): If the crew could prepare a successful ditching, they would *most* probably have had enough time to call Mayday, either over VHF or HF or even satcom - and report their position.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

rfields5421

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 142):
Have they done underwater SONAR scans and ruled out the presence of underwater wreckage at the point of that turn and descent?

Normally they need a 'ballpark' of where the wreckage might be to make such a search worthwhile.

And it's too early in the search for the aircraft to have the specialized ships on station unless they happened to be in the area.

However, I'm sure the plans to get such a search underway are in progress. However, before doing such a search, they need to find as much data about past searches in the area, ship sinkings, missing aircraft and ships, etc - to help eliminate known wreckage from the search.

Quoting Pygmalion (Reply 140):
it is also possible that the airplane had a malfunction/fire etc that caused widespread electrical failure, the pilots made a turn back towards KL and didnt make it. Not saying this happened but it is as likely as any other theory.

I'm leaning more toward that theory, especially electrical fire. The electronics had to be shutdown. The crew turned back, but passed out and the plane slowly descended on autopilot until something caused it to become unstable and fall into the ocean between Malaysia and Indonesia.

Because that is the busiest shipping channel in the world, any floating debris would have been ignored, churned up or dismissed as 'normal'.

That will make finding the actual wreckage much more difficult.
Not all who wander are lost.

747megatop

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Quoting Pygmalion (Reply 140):
malfunction/fire etc that caused widespread electrical failure

I recollect that there was a Egyptair T7 cockpit fire on the ground. Could a similar fire have knocked out all electronics in the cockpit? Could that be the explanation for a massive electrical and communications failure ultimately leading to a loss at sea?

dtw2hyd

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 143):
On that Hudson landing the plane was severely damaged in the back, towards the bottom, to the point it was filling with water pretty quickly as soon as it stopped. The fuselage was severly breached and broken. And that was as you say, in the day, with a calm river. So at night, with seas in which we don´t know the condition, and under duress in all likelihood, I doubt the result would have left the plane "intact". If it were intact, survivors would have already been recovered in drafts and they would have had a lot of time to escape.

I don't think anyone claiming entire plane is "intact" in literal sense, as you mentioned engines will the first to go so does horizontal stabilizers and there will be damage to other parts. As others pointed out 777 is a metal plane unlike A332 where some parts remained on water surface in case of AF447. It is intact enough for much of its contents to remain inside. If it was gliding it won't hit water with 200 miles.
All posts are just opinions.

Skyguy

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Quoting davidzill (Reply 153):

As depressing and outlandish as your hypothesis may sound, it probably seems likely that is what happened. So far, if current reports are true that the plane diverted and flew west after losing contact, then this may have been a conscious decision by someone in the cockpit. Also, one of the pilots could have gone to the bathroom and was locked out of the cockpit by the other pilot allowing the remaining pilot to essentially do as he pleases unopposed. The only caveat I would say is that I rarely get cellphone signal after take off, so not sure that pax soul have been able to connect even if they realized things were astray.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

LTC8K6

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 pm

I think with the NYT article, that it's safe to abandon the idea that the plane crossed back over Malaysia.

All we know is that it made it near IGARI, made some sort of left turn, and vanished.

We are back to what we knew about 1 hour into the story.

It could have continued flying, but there is no evidence of it anywhere after FR24 lost it.

TXspotter

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 pm

i know it's been reported that they had 7 hours of fuel on board. Have they been able to confirm, by looking at fuel truck, the exact amount of fuel that was put in; Rather than what it was supposed to have been filled with?

Did someone on the ground put extra fuel in and write down a different amount, either intentionally or unintentionally?

ozark1

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Baffling to me is how pilots have the option to turn the transponder off. There obviously is a perfect explanation as to why. But when there's catastrophes such as this... life would be so much easier if it was always on. Would it not?

Yes you would think there would not be an option of turning it off. I apologize but I have not read a lot of all of these threads so it has probably been answered. But I do know that the transponders on the 4 hijacked 9/11 aircraft were turned off by the perpetrators.

barney captain

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Forgive me if this satellite pic showing the outline of something resembling a 777 was already posted -

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1103537
Southeast Of Disorder

Mikey711MN

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 157):

I'm leaning more toward that theory, especially electrical fire. The electronics had to be shutdown. The crew turned back, but passed out and the plane slowly descended on autopilot until something caused it to become unstable and fall into the ocean between Malaysia and Indonesia.

Because that is the busiest shipping channel in the world, any floating debris would have been ignored, churned up or dismissed as 'normal'.

That will make finding the actual wreckage much more difficult.

That seems most plausible - at least among the dozens of theories based on the limited data (and reliability thereof) that we have thus far.

However, my bigger fear is that for the precise reason that the Strait is "the busiest shipping channel in the world" (or nearly so), a crash event would most surely have been witnessed by several, so the plane may have continued past the Strait, over Sumatra, and into the larger Indian Ocean.

In such a case, I would hope that the time between when the crew was incapacitated and when the plane's avionics were compromised is relatively short, which would place the site closer east / the Sumatran shore.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm

Quoting TXspotter (Reply 162):

But then again. Why not sending out a mayday / ask for vectors to a nearest airfield?

Shanwick1011Z

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm

We (or the authorities if they don't already) need to know the fuel uptake and what airfields the captain was recently trining on on his flight simulator

Some one mentioned a field in Somalia as a possible landing ground!

justloveplanes

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 131):

I don't believe the MAF tracked 9M-MRO headed toward Malaysia without ID and didn't react.

How rare is an aircraft at that altitude without an ADS-B?

What is the range of Malaysian AF Radar?

Is when they lost contact of the plane related to the range of MAF radar?

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Quoting barney captain (Reply 164):

Ok... This is giving me the shivers...

Tangowhisky

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Quoting Hywel (Reply 154):
Is it conceivable that the plane is “cloaked,” hiding with high-tech electronic warfare weaponry that exists and is used?
Quoting Hywel (Reply 154):
as a weapon of mass destruction against civilian or military targets in Asia or the Unites States.

This should be considered. The airplane could have turned West to some hell hole like Somalia and landed there. It only takes one weak link in the system to do this: a pilot. The fact that the transponders were turned off, but still on primary radar going west (Indian Ocean?) until out of any radar range can be part of a plan to make the plane untraceable.
Only the paranoid survive

tim73

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 pm

Most land based primary radars have maximum range of 200 miles/320 kilometers. This plane was maybe about 200 kilometers from nearest land and near Pattani, Thailand latitude.

If it turned back by turning left, it should have shown in primary radar like a christmas tree, large engine fans facing radar beam(s), both in Thailand and Malaysia. If it descended fast and turned right instead, it probably was too far away for Vietnam based radars to pick it up and the radar echo in Malaysia would have been much weaker.

[Edited 2014-03-11 14:34:14]

747megatop

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 7):
I agree and regarding Anstar's theory about India/Pakistan, I doubt that the plane had so much fuel
that it could reach Pakistan, especially not if they had descended to 29500 feet.
Pakistan is almost 5 hours of flying from the point where they disappeared.

They would have been picked up by Indian radar if they flew over land AND would have run the risk of a midair collision over some very busy airspace.

flyingturtle

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Seems like a (military) ship, with the white wave crest at the bow. The clouds can be misleading, they give the appearance of a wing.

David

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 173):

You never know how long they were looking for that ship  

TXspotter

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Quoting 456 (Reply 166):

the person filling the fuel would have to be in on the "plan" by the captain or hijackers or whoever took control of plane.

ikramerica

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Quoting s5daw (Reply 37):
Quoting ozark1 (Reply 163):
Yes you would think there would not be an option of turning it off. I apologize but I have not read a lot of all of these threads so it has probably been answered. But I do know that the transponders on the 4 hijacked 9/11 aircraft were turned off by the perpetrators.

The claim is that it's so they can trouble shoot electrical faults. Fine, then when it's switched "off" or the breaker is pulled, etc., it should immediately revert to battery backup until power is restored.

The option to turn it off completely makes no sense.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

dtw2hyd

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Quoting tim73 (Reply 171):
Most land based primary radars have maximum range of 200 miles/320 kilometers. This plane was maybe about 200 kilometers from nearest land and near Pattani, Thailand latitude.

Could you share more info on primary radar range. Based on what I read range generally it is 50NM-60NM, only few high powered radars built during WWII were 120NM-160NM. I thought they all are low powered now-a-days.

Mortyman

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Quoting Finn350 (Reply 120):
I read somewhere that a US Navy P-3 Orion is able to comb 1,000 square miles in an hour. It is a huge task, but as the plane is manufactured in the US, maybe US Navy is willing to put more P-3 Orions to search for the debris.

I beleave the UK is providing P3's too

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 80):
By now ships would have spotted debris (and bodies) if that was the case. Something would have floated to shore somewhere (AI 182 had bodies and debris all over the waters which were easily spotted by a cargo ship).

That is an assumption... you can't say that with absolute accuracy.

Baffling to me is how pilots have the option to turn the transponder off. There obviously is a perfect explanation as to why. But when there's catastrophes such as this... life would be so much easier if it was always on. Would it not?

This might not be the answer but a lot of things can be turned off just in case it is causing smoke, fumes, or a fire

ikramerica

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Quoting TXspotter (Reply 175):
the person filling the fuel would have to be in on the "plan" by the captain or hijackers or whoever took control of plane.

Not at all. The captain requests the fuel, it's loaded. Why does the fuel jockey need to be in on it? He/she is simply informed they need X kg of fuel, they load it, it's signed off, move on.

But another question:
Some companies will load extra fuel so they can either return on the same tank, or have a lot left over so they don't have to buy as much fuel away from their home base. Is fuel in China more expensive for MH to buy than fuel in Malaysia? Enough so that flying 3 or more hours of extra fuel all the way there as "cargo" would be cost effective?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LTC8K6

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Looks interesting, but what is the location?

Seems like it's probably a ship?

EXMEMWIDGET

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 84):
From an aviator's perspective, by the time the transponder is shut off in case of fire, what would be left on? To a layman, I would think the transponder is, in fact, continually necessary in flight.

Conversely, in case of massive electrical failure, what systems remain on, i.e. running on some other power source? Would the transponder kick off then? If so, are other avionics still available?

A pilot friend of mine said that in the event of an electrical failure, they have a checklist of items to shut down in order to conserve battery power.
Ex DL and NW, current FX.

hivue

It strikes me that they are about at the point where they want to devote all their resources to searching "smart" rather than searching "everywhere possible." In that context, if the anonymous RMAF tip about the plane flying back across Malaysia is actually correct then the RMAF should just put it on the public record and they should concentrate on that area.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

flyingturtle

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Quoting 456 (Reply 174):

But the width of that thing is about 25 ft, which would be credible for a Boeing 777 (in thruth, it's 20-something ft, but the discrepancy can be due to the resolution of the satellite picture).

David

LTC8K6

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Quoting justloveplanes (Reply 168):

How rare is an aircraft at that altitude without an ADS-B?

What is the range of Malaysian AF Radar?

Is when they lost contact of the plane related to the range of MAF radar?

Since they apparently did not track 9M-MRO anywhere, I don't think it matters.

Toiyabe

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 177):
Could you share more info on primary radar range. Based on what I read range generally it is 50NM-60NM, only few high powered radars built during WWII were 120NM-160NM. I thought they all are low powered now-a-days.

The limit on detection using conventional military (say, shipborne) radars would be limited only by the curvature of the horizon.

I do not know about Primary, but I assume it's major limitation would also be the horizon. At 30k', the horizon is approximately 212miles away, so a radar close to ground level would have that as it's range, power permitting.

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 179):

No not the UK but Australia and New Zealand according to BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26514556
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

LTC8K6

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 185):

But the width of that thing is about 25 ft, which would be credible for a Boeing 777 (in thruth, it's 20-something ft, but the discrepancy can be due to the resolution of the satellite picture).

I'm sure I see a bow wake...

marktci

You're one "A" short. The RAAF is providing P-3s. The RAF doesn't have P-3s.

flyenthu

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Quoting Skyguy (Reply 160):

It seems more and more likely that something "odd" is up. If the pilot was locked out, then, I think it will be known to the cabin that cockpit has been breached and calls, cell phone or remote control handset phone calls, would have been made. It could be one of the pilots was incapacitated I the cockpit.

Quoting davidzill (Reply 153):

Davidzill's theory as grim as it is, could be within the realm of possibilities.

Mortyman

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:49 pm

From Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation ( translated from Norwegian )
Legal vacuum prevents the investigation of missing plane

" Four days after Malaysia Airlines plane disappeared, it is not formally initiated an international investigation. The reason is that no one knows in what land the aircraft is located.

Malaysian authorities is conducting informal surveys in cooperation with other governments. But an international investigation in accordance with rules adopted by the UN could have made ​​the work easier.

Experts now believe that the investigation falls between several chairs because none of the countries involved is taking the initiative to lead the official investigation.

- If they have not even decided which country is responsible for the investigation, everythingall that has been done up to now suffers by the lack of control and coordination from the top down, says former attorney Ted Ellett in the U.S. Authority Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) . "

http://www.nrk.no/verden/juridisk-vakuum-hindrer-flysok-1.11598638

Spacepope

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Not likely. The UK doesn't have P3s.
The last of the famous international playboys

Toiyabe

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:50 pm

That would be most impressive, seeing as how they don't have any to provide.

tim73

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 177):
http://www.livescience.com/44012-mal...rlines-mystery-radar-tracking.html

"Radar facilities are based on land, and each one has a range of about 200 miles (320 kilometers), McGuirk said.". It is unclear whether he is talking about primary or secondary.

This says 220 km for a typical air defense radar. So definitely there is a huge radar coverage gap in Gulf of Thailand.

http://www.radartutorial.eu/01.basics/Radar%20Coverage.en.html

cjg225

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 173):

I agree. Not seeing a plane in that photo.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

sandyb123

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed, I've tried to keep on top of the threads!

Quote:
SEPANG: A BOEING 777 pilot, who was flying 30 minutes ahead of the missing Malaysia Airlines aircraft, said he established contact with MH370 minutes after he was asked to do so by Vietnamese air traffic control.

The captain, who asked to not be named, said his plane, which was bound for Narita, Japan, was far into Vietnamese airspace when he was asked to relay, using his plane's emergency frequency, to MH370 for the latter to establish its position, as the authorities could not contact the aircraft.

"We managed to establish contact with MH370 just after 1.30am and asked them if they have transferred into Vietnamese airspace.

"The voice on the other side could have been either Captain Zaharie (Ahmad Shah, 53,) or Fariq (Abdul Hamid, 27), but I was sure it was the co-pilot.

"There were a lot of interference... static... but I heard mumbling from the other end.

"That was the last time we heard from them, as we lost the connection," he told the New Sunday Times.
http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general...lished-contact-with-plane-1.503464

Seems odd.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

flyingturtle

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 189):
I'm sure I see a bow wake...

I too. But which ship is about 25 ft wide?

The slender bow reminds me of a warship, and even the rather small German Sachsen-class frigate has a beam width of 57 ft.

David

mfe777

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 pm

If the "hijack and fly to remote location" theory is true, could they not also reach Antarctica? They would be flying over remote seas and probably out of the way of many ground radars. If the hijacker didn't want the wreckage to every be found, that's about as good as a place as any to crash it.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=kul-YWKS

dtw2hyd

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 181):
Some companies will load extra fuel so they can either return on the same tank, or have a lot left over so they don't have to buy as much fuel away from their home base. Is fuel in China more expensive for MH to buy than fuel in Malaysia? Enough so that flying 3 or more hours of extra fuel all the way there as "cargo" would be cost effective?

Petronas is major oil company in the world, they can get at cheaper rate than China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petronas

ME3 does the same with their flights to subcontinent.

hivue

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:58 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 192):
Legal vacuum prevents the investigation of missing plane

This problem did not significantly hamper the AF447 SAR and investigation.

BTW, does anyone know if the position over the Gulf of Thailand where the transponder went silent is in international waters?
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos