Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

soundsfishy

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 14

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:14 am

Quoting asetiadi (Reply 395):
Let's say if the pilot wanted to go to the airport ASAP, why turn around? why not just go straight to Vietnam which is far more closer?

A pilot in this case may feel that, since KUL is their home airport, the familiarity with the airport is a strong benefit vs. flying into SGN or elsewhere in Vietnam where he may be less familiar.

asetiadi

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 am

Quoting soundsfishy (Reply 402):

A pilot in this case may feel that, since KUL is their home airport, the familiarity with the airport is a strong benefit vs. flying into SGN or elsewhere in Vietnam where he may be less familiar.

ok I understand this part, but I thought a professional pilot should be able to land at any valid airport, regardless where they are. I mean the landing procedure is the same regardless which airport you are trying to go.

dirktraveller

Hi everyone, I tried my best skimming the past two threads that I had missed since my internet break down last night. Apologies if I had come with questions that had been discussed beforehand.

Quoting asetiadi (Reply 395):
Let's say if the pilot wanted to go to the airport ASAP, why turn around? why not just go straight to Vietnam which is far more closer?

Do correct me if I'm wrong on this one. He would probably tried to divert to PEN, which supposedly the closest airport from the waypoint before the plane went off course. I heard he was based in PEN then it would probably made sense to go through an approach he is more familiar with, and MAS had a maintenance base there.

Ok, I read on the last thread someone inquiring the family background of the F/O. A news article written few days ago wrote about the F/O's father hoping the best for his son's safety. Maybe someone in Malaysia would identify him as a big-shot, although the article does not suggest so?

https://my.news.yahoo.com/dad-not-giving-hope-seeing-son-again-161229919.html

And when we discussed about possibility of a hypothetical pilot suicide on this case, why would first suspicion gone down to the captain himself? Yes, he had more flying hours and he had a flight sim at home. But I don't see that makes him any more suspicious than the F/O.

They all have the capability to commit such actions (and even made it look like an accident) Or did I missed something here? Feel free to share me some info here.

The F/O on the other hand, had a history of breaking the rules, as suggested by the "Current Affairs" program. The alleged pictures and video by the Australian ladies probably wouldn't be the first occurence.

Clearly MH told everyone that they were shocked but how if they maybe had found out some of his misbehaviours other than this video, before the flight and considering disciplinary action (or even termination) against him? Somehow when we talk about a hypothetical suicide, this does eeriely had some similarities with the Egyptair 990 case where a pair of an experienced captain and an allegedly troubled F/O pending disciplinary action.

With utmost respect to the crew of this flight and their family, I hope this suicide theory will not be the case when investigators have revealed the cause of this accident.

Centre

Hypothesis! Will reach 500 posts before we have mods wake up and start new thread
I have cut 4 times, and it's still short.

flyenthu

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:21 am

Quoting gulfstream650 (Reply 386):
epic electrical failure

That is that so difficult to gulp.....has the 777-200ER have had any history of electrical malfunction? Can a catastrophic electric failure occur without any issue in almost 20 years? Anyone has any information on this? Thank you!

Starlionblue

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:28 am

Quoting Web500sjc (Reply 397):
anyone know the magnetic variation in the area?

An agonic line crosses right across the Gulf of Thailand so it is zero or close to it for th

Quoting asetiadi (Reply 403):
Quoting soundsfishy (Reply 402):

ok I understand this part, but I thought a professional pilot should be able to land at any valid airport, regardless where they are. I mean the landing procedure is the same regardless which airport you are trying to go.

You are absolutely right.

However the psychological factors are strong. I have actually had a very minor emergency in flight close to the "home" airport, but going there would have been the wrong decision for various reasons. The "pull" of the home airport was very strong because it would have meant a significant decrease in stress level. No need to bring out a runway chart. No need to look up a frequency. Familiar landmarks. Just go there and land. Your subconscious mind pushes you that way because it wants to get you home and there is a feeling fewer things can go wrong on top of the problem you already have.

Posit that there was some sort of crisis. It is the dark of night over a dark ocean. The captain is looking ahead towards a difficult approach and landing with no comms. He feels reasonably confident the plane will fly the not too great extra distance to KUL compared to SGN. He knows KUL like the back of his hand after thousands of flights in and out. He knows the terrain in the area. That extra level of confidence and knowledge will help him with the approach. I'm not saying such a decision is correct, but it is very human. And maybe it is the correct decision.

[Edited 2014-03-11 20:32:13]

[Edited 2014-03-11 20:32:57]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

9VSIO

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:29 am

Quoting asetiadi (Reply 403):
I thought a professional pilot should be able to land at any valid airport, regardless where they are. I mean the landing procedure is the same regardless which airport you are trying to go.

Just because they CAN doesn't mean that they WILL.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

mandala499

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:30 am

This is getting ridiculous.
Sorry, a lot of posts here are covering things that do NOT make sense.

Quoting dirktraveller (Reply 404):
He would probably tried to divert to PEN

Kota Baru would be the nearest to his position.

No, I don't buy the aircraft making it to the straits of Malacca.
Those who believe the cellphone theories need to know how the stuff works.
Those who claim that it can be through the satcom on the aircraft, unfortunately 9M-MRO is NOT fitted with the GSM-onboard system. Even if so, if it uses the Inmarsat Swift Broadband, you can actually narrow down its location by now if it's active, as it has fixed aiming spot beam from the satellite.

Those who say Indonesia shot the plane down, please get your heads checked. Our Air Force highly value the missiles. A gun run would require a higher performance jet... The jets we have in west Borneo and in Sumatra are mere Hawk 100/200s. And yes, interception permission to fire process involve approval to the duty commander of the Defence Command (The areas we are talking comes under the west air defence command), and if not being fired at, to shoot your interceptee, we need permission from the Chief of Staff, Minister of Defence, OR President. A LOT in the chain to get the permission, if it happened, it would have leaked by now!

People need to remember, AF447 simply disappeared... only the ACARS (sat-cars) gave clues. Now imagine if we had no Satcars on AF447? Coz MH's ACARS service subscription, is much lighter/less than AF's... eg: no automated flight following position update, longest interval engine monitoring... etc...
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

jetblueguy22

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:30 am

Hi All,

As this thread has gotten extremely long we ask that you please post in the new thread which can be found here MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 15 (by jetblueguy22 Mar 11 2014 in Civil Aviation) .

All posts made after the lock will be removed for housekeeping purposes only,

Regards,
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos