uta999

MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 18

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:27 am

You would fly at 29.5 to avoid hitting anything coming the other way at 300, or we're selecting a lower altitude on autopilot when overcome.

The fact that no passengers / crew used their mobile phones, means it didn't fly close to land, or they were in hypoxia.

The home MH 772 simulator is looking more and more suspicious, possibly.

The US needs to be wary of any incoming UFO from the east or west.
Your computer just got better

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:28 am

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 123):
Secondly, if ACARS was off (deliberately or otherwise) does that mean the transponders are off too? Otherwise how would the engine data have been transmitted, are there independent transponders in the engines for example?

Transponder is an independent system from ACARS. You could totally disable or remove one and the other would still work.

Quoting trent900 (Reply 124):
Quoting laxboeingman (Reply 59):
About the WSJ story, is it implying the radar or transmitter was turned off during flight?

If the 'aircrafts' radar and transponder where turned off you would still receive a radar return from a ground based station, just without craft info.

Just to be clear, there are only two kinds of onboard radar.
1. Weather radar, which can be used to look ahead for clouds with precipitation and (somewhat) terrain.
2. Radar altimeter. Used to determine height over the ground or sea at low altitudes.

Quoting airbuster (Reply 128):
The data stream from the engines sent via ACARS cannot (in my experience) be turned off by anyone on the flight deck in flight. It is however possible for ACARS to lose a connection but I believe the 777 ACARS uses a mix of ground based and satellite signals to make the chances of this happening very remote.

Not in the cockpit, but anything can be turned off in flight. You'd have to access the electronics bay to get to the breakers.

Quoting Finn350 (Reply 133):
Guys, the plane is hijacked in China. Everything else is smokescree.

Motive?

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 147):
Quoting nm2582 (Reply 134):
Are we only one step away from an Elvis connection now?

No, less than that step... I think there were reports of blue suede shoes earlier...

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 148):
want to say thank you all the contributors on our wiki. Of course I'll continue updating this wiki if new trusted or speculative information pops up or already debunked claims are repeated.

Link again please?

[Edited 2014-03-13 01:30:52]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

philask

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:31 am

Quoting uta999 (Reply 153):

Far fetched but I'm also pretty sure they're quite hot on this already  

BoeingVista

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:33 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 151):
It could also explain the way China is acting towards Malaysia in the media, acting very annoyed and saying Malaysia is not doing enough. Of course the Chinese would be annoyed if this is an accident, but if they are in on it why not act like the victim to draw attention to others...

Shame the tomnod map sequence doesn't go up as far as china, it might be worth a nosey..

I know that the border area in southern china is a closed millitary zone so there would be no witnesses to any dodgyness, if they were lucky the Chinese could bring a hijacked plane down with no witnesses.
BV

F9Animal

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:33 am

I just can't believe there isn't a system or device installed in the multi million dollar planes that does not give a signal to where a plane is. Kind of like a On star device in a car, or a lojack system that can't just be switched off. I hope this mystery brings forth a system that won't bring these frustrations in future crashes.

This whole ordeal must be agonizing for loved ones.
I Am A Different Animal!!

LTC8K6

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:34 am

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 156):

I know that the border area in southern china is a closed millitary zone so there would be no witnesses to any dodgyness, if they were lucky the Chinese could bring a hijacked plane down with no witnesses.

What do they want an old 777 for?

777Jet

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:35 am

The fact that no passengers / crew used their mobile phones, means it didn't fly close to land, or they were in hypoxia.

Is there a way for the crew or persons flying to depressurize the cabin to knock the passengers out whilst not being affected? Could that be done without the oxygen masks coming down? Regardless, I've heard that there is only about 5-10 mins of oxygen available for passengers - just enough to get down to a safe altitude.

If the crew was involved, they might have already had the passengers out before their last communication or well before radar contact was lost. Over the sea between two countries might seem like the ideal place to start flying off course to where ever after already having taken care of the housekeeping...

[Edited 2014-03-13 01:38:37]
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

MH772

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:37 am

Quoting Airbus747 (Reply 95):
Well, I haven't come across any comments from Malaysia so far... I simply would be interested to hear more about what the local aviation enthusiasts/experts/pilots/etc think - provided that we actually have any members from there!
So, if you are out there, what do you think is going on?

Though I can't speak for all residents of Malaysia, as a person who has been following the local media and press daily, it's fair to say that the ministries, govt agencies, etc. have really been disappointing in their approach and actions in carrying out a plan to locate and updating the public on MH370. Answers and statements given by the ministers, generals, director generals, CEO, etc. during the press conferences have been vague, conflicting, and repetitive to say the least. As for the SAR coordination, they've done a crappy job of coordinating and liaising with other countries as Vietnam is scaling back their efforts, and China is growing more and more unconvinced and impatient with results produced thus far.

Though some members here are suggesting interesting govt conspiracies and/or cover-ups, having lived in Malaysia for a number of years now, I believe the parties involved in the SAR are just plain incompetent and clueless. Just to give you folks an idea of how Minister of Defence/Transport Hishamuddin and Chief of Armed Forces, General Zulkifeli carry out their duties, try and search for articles on the 2013 Lahad Datu standoff/conflict. One thing I gathered from the events last year was these two individuals are not the best choice of characters to lead and/or coordinate operations, when the "sh*t hits the fan". It's probably best for Malaysia to relinquish their role as the leader for the SAR, and pass it over to either the Americans and/or the French.

rheinwaldner

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 am

Quoting jcxroberts (Reply 66):
Looks more like hypoxia or the pilots in on a scheme.

There is one reasoning for the latter:
The unusual events started exactly in the rather short timeslot, when the flight was handed over between two Air Traffic Control Centers. In case this condition would be relevant for the intended plot we can assume that only the cockpit crew was aware, when exactly that moment would be.

In other words:
Without cooperation from the cockpit it is quite unlikely, that a hijacker could start activities exactly in that timeslot.

Quoting sipadan (Reply 22):
I will post more when I have more info.

Roger, me too.
Many things are difficult, all things are possible!

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 am

I half jokingly posted this picture four days ago. Now I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. (If you don't get the reference read here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_714 and ignore the later parts of the story.)

http://voyager.blogs.com/images/secondlife/carreidas160.jpg

At this point, I'm just waiting for this whole angle to be debunked because it is all starting to feel a bit too much like a direct-to-DVD action movie.

[Edited 2014-03-13 01:41:26]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

trent900

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:39 am

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 147):
The "ground based station" you refer to, would be a PSR (primary surveillance radar) and civilian versions of this are very low range affairs, designed to cover only around 50nm or so around an airport. There may be HUGE areas of countries with no primary surveillance radar coverage.

So considering the PSRs have 50nm range for example, any pilot would be able to stay away from areas that are covered to stay in-detected? The question is if the aircraft had maintained it's cruising FL then there would be more chance of a return to one of the areas PSRs even if the transponder was turned off. So it begs the question, if they flew at a lower altitude without detection where did they go?

D.

jcxroberts

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:40 am

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 137):
I struggle with this one. China is not at all above espionage, cyber warfare, etc.; but this would be INCREDIBLY brazen if it were a government sponsored plan. It would be right up there with Russia's entering of Crimea... They would bring the condemnation of the world down upon themselves. 20 Freescale employees - and the contents of their laptops - might be incredibly valuable, but not enough to take a 777 like this.

I can't beleive that for a moment either ... in any case, good old laptop bag theft is much easier!

It's unlikely but so is everything else. The satellite images China put out as a possible plane crash ring some alarms. They have better images available internally and surely would have known it wasn't plane wreckage. And the images were debunked rather quickly starting on CNN.

nm2582

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 am

Quoting philask (Reply 155):
Far fetched but I'm also pretty sure they're quite hot on this already

The powers that be would be insane if they don't have fighters in the air 24/7 at this point for at least the immediate future, but with that said...the logistics to get that aircraft here are steep. You're looking at at least one refueling in North Korea or far eastern Russia or China, somehow slipping past Japan and Alaska, just to reach the west coast. The amount of fuel required isn't just commonly available, and the whole deal would feel like a state sponsored activity - and that would be seen as an act of war. Very ugly scenario.

Heading West via, say, Iran - that would be even more difficult and probably require two refuelings.

Not to mention how to keep the pesky engine health system from alerting RR that the aircraft is in flight!

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:43 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 159):
Is there a way for the crew or persons flying to depressurize the cabin to knock the passengers out whilst not being affected?

Reasonably sure you could.

Could that be done without the oxygen masks coming down?

Reasonably sure you can't prevent the masks. I think the system is self contained.

Regardless, I've heard that there is only about 5-10 mins of oxygen available for passengers - just enough to get down to a safe altitude.

More like 15 but correct in that it is to have enough time for an emergency descent.

Coal

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:45 am

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 152):
then if the plane did fly for 4-5 hours, surely military radar would have picked it up?

Exactly. Can they ask basically all the countries with potential radar coverage to the East and West? I find it very hard to believe that it would've continued on its course flying NE and not be detected. If indeed the plane kept on flying, I would imagine it did turn and flew W towards the Indian Ocean, which if true, then unfortunately I think the chances of finding any debris is very slim.

The home MH 772 simulator is looking more and more suspicious, possibly.

Yeah, I am thinking that they should do that too. Actually heard on CNN earlier today that they were going to go to his home - is this factual? He seemed like a great person really dedicated to his job. Wonder how long ago he built the 777 simulator? Perhaps they can do some digital forensics on the computer?

Was just chatting to a friend who is traveling in China and he said the rumor there is that they did turn around and the target were the Petronas twin towers, but that they were eventually shot down by the Malaysian military and hence they have been contradicting themselves. But... I find that a bit hard to believe. If the Captain did have a peeve against UMNO, the ruling party since Malaysia's independence, he could have hit a different target...

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

imagoagnitio

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:45 am

Quoting nm2582 (Reply 165):

Presuming mainland US is the target as opposed to .................

speedbird128

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:46 am

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 152):
then if the plane did fly for 4-5 hours, surely military radar would have picked it up?

Yes, however all those military forces are being incredibly tight lipped. China certainly don't want the world knowing their capabilities. Malaysia obviously did as they tracked *something* on both azimuth and range.

There are numerous warships out there with targeting capability so who knows what got tracked where and by whom. There are super sensitive Advanced ESA's (non-rotating radars) on warships and military ground installations - also have about a 250nm range...

Its just a mess. I would be 99% certain somebody somewhere picked up a return...

I have no clue about Diego Garcia's OTH capability... Or any other nation's for that matter. They can theorietically track up to 3000km away... Given OTH capability can be "portable", I wouldn't have any clue (nor would Joe Soap) where they would be deployed.

Hence I have stated all along, information is not being shared.

* In case anybody is wondering about OTH, it stands for "Over The Horizon" (sometimes called BTH / Beyond The Horizon) and is a method of using a specific frequency radio waves in the HighFrequency/ShortWave ranges (the exact frequency can vary at different times of the day due to atmospheric attenuation) to bounce off the ionosphere to follow the curve of the earth. They have super sensitive antennae, however at long ranges the signal return can be over 10miles wide! Whether this is of any help to this search I have no clue. In my opinion anything is better than nothing.
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

777Jet

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:47 am

Here is a link to an article "Police raid house of Malaysia Airlines pilot" - sorry if it has been posted:

http://www.news.com.au/world/police-...pilot/story-fndir2ev-1226853893806

Also, regarding the last words from MH370 - "All right, good night” - Wouldn't a seasoned pilot repeat the call sign?
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

BoeingVista

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 158):
What do they want an old 777 for?

They would want to stop it flying into Buildings in Shanghai or Beijing.. We would be looking for a smoking hole in the ground.
BV

dc863

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:51 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 170):
"All right, good night” - Wouldn't a seasoned pilot repeat the call sign?

Not necessarily.

Backseater

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:52 am

Can someone help try to pin down the ACARS data path?

I assume that MH uses SITA as SP for ACARS.
Data transmission could be via VHF to ground stations, through the global beam of the Inmarsat4 satellite that covers the region or through an Iriidum LEO satellite.
No matter what path is used, the raw messages will go to one data center, probably a SITA facility in Switzerland (?).
From there, messages are filtered and routed to their specific destination e.g. Derby in the UK for RR engine data.

GPS position may be in the raw message. I don't know. At any rate, if VHF was used, then SITA knows within at most a 300km radius (much smaller at a low altitude) where the airplane was when it transmitted its report.

SITA has many VHF ground stations in Asia and that should always be a first choice before satellite is used.

Coal

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:53 am

Also, regarding the last words from MH370 - "All right, good night” - Wouldn't a seasoned pilot repeat the call sign?

Not always. I fly UA frequently SIN-HKG and listen to Ch.9 when available. I find that many airlines from many different countries don't always repeat their call sign, even if they should.

Here is a link to an article "Police raid house of Malaysia Airlines pilot" - sorry if it has been posted:

No mention if they went through the computer data in the simulator.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

nm2582

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:53 am

Quoting imagoagnitio (Reply 168):
Presuming mainland US is the target as opposed to .................

Anything could be the target; the person I was responding to suggested US mainland so I was responding to that. In reality, any country that someone has a grudge against could be a target - and that's not a small list.

speedbird128

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:54 am

Quoting trent900 (Reply 163):
So considering the PSRs have 50nm range for example, any pilot would be able to stay away from areas that are covered to stay in-detected? The question is if the aircraft had maintained it's cruising FL then there would be more chance of a return to one of the areas PSRs even if the transponder was turned off. So it begs the question, if they flew at a lower altitude without detection where did they go?

PSR's detect all targets at all levels - it doesn't matter if its at F390 or F90. What our systems do for me, is when I have a PSR/MSSR correlated target, and its high-level, I can filter it out of my approach sector as it is entirely unnecessary. However, when there is a transponder failure, I still get the upper traffic on my approach screen with just a primary target.

However, they would need to know of *every* PSR installation. I don't think that is likely unless they were *very* busy preparing.

And then that brings me back to my issue of the military installations. That kind of information is not avilable on the web for those countries. Some installations might be found, but I think there is a lot of classified stuff too...

I am just at a loss - and I am adament there is information not being shared.
A306, A313, A319, A320, A321, A332, A343, A345, A346 A388, AC90, B06, B722, B732, B733, B735, B738, B744, B762, B772, B7

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 am

Not necessarily. You are not required to keep repeating the call sign as long as you can be sure will be no confusion. If nothing else, this sentence could have been the tail end of the conversation.

Purely as an example with no basis in know facts:
ATC: "Malaysian tree-seven-zero - Cleared direct Ho Chi Minh."
MH370: "Cleared direct Ho Chi Minh - Malaysian tree-seven-zero."
ATC: "Malaysian tree-seven-zero - Contact Ho Chi Minh Center on one-two-five decimal seven-two-five"
MH370: "Ho Chi Minh on one-two-five decimal seven-two-five. All right, good night."

[Edited 2014-03-13 01:56:26]

[Edited 2014-03-13 01:57:43]

KIAS

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 am

Quoting garpd (Reply 149):
To be honest, that has been my main suspicion for a while now.

If you think about it, it makes sense: Pull circuit breakers to turn off all transmissions from the plane, so you essentially become invisible. And head off where ever you want. Only I suspect either something went wrong and they crashed, or they intentionally ditched/crashed.

My biggest fear is, if the transponder, ACARS, etc were intentionally turned off, the FDR and CVR circuit breakers could also have been pulled. If so, we may never know the exact sequence of event.

The Silkair 737 had it's circuit breakers for the CVR and FDR pulled right after the co-pilot left for the toilet. So, it is not in the realms of fantasy to suggest it!

777-200ER does not have circuit breakers on the flight deck like the 737-36N. To shut off ACARS someone would have to enter the E/E bay via the main deck access panel. That said, we know ACARS was not shut off due to the reports of Engine Health Management snapshots sent via ACARS which were received by Rolls-Royce. Allegedly for several hours after the ATC lost contact.

[Edited 2014-03-13 01:59:42]
"We fly, but we have not 'conquered' the air. When we presume mastery, we are often startled by our ignorance." - DHW

garpd

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:57 am

If you're the only plane the ATC was talking to at that time, no really, no.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

radone

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 am

MLE airport is exactly on the 4 hours range circle. It is a tiny (islamic) community with a large airport used to handle big charters by night, so a cover up mission wouldn't have been that hard. It could be reached from the Malakka Strait by flying only over international waters with little radar coverage or third parties surveillance.
MLE could have been not the final destination (already surfaced by now) but the refuelling point for Somalia for example, which is consistent with the "further use" detail from WSJ report

CaliAtenza

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:59 am

Quoting KIAS (Reply 178):

777-200ER does not have circuit breakers on the flight deck like the 737-36N. To shut off ACARS someone would have to enter the E/E bay via the main deck access panel. That said, we know ACARS was not shut off due to the reports of Engine Health Management snapshots sent via ACARS which were received by Rolls-Royce.

where are the circuit breakers for the CVR and the FDR located?

philask

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:02 am

Quoting radone (Reply 180):
MLE airport is exactly on the 4 hours range circle. It is a tiny (islamic) community with a large airport used to handle big charters by night, so a cover up mission wouldn't have been that hard.

Said as someone who knows nothing about the Maldives... seriously, you think nobody would notice at such a busy international airport?

garpd

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:03 am

Quoting KIAS (Reply 178):
That said, we know ACARS was not shut off due to the reports of Engine Health Management snapshots sent via ACARS which were received by Rolls-Royce. Allegedly for several hours after the ATC lost contact

Do we have confirmation of this yet?
I know the WSJ is a respected paper, but so far, they are the only source of this information.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

theaviator380

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:05 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 167):

Assuming your friend telling truth, question still remains > where is the debris? If it was shot down on course to Petronas Tower then it's obvious that it was shot down where they have already looked for debris? Unless flight went SW of KUL area near Port Dickson where someone already found a body and that area has not been searched yet (may be purposely?)

AR385

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:07 am

Quoting Speedbird128 (Reply 176):
I am just at a loss - and I am adament there is information not being shared.

Agreed, but what would be the reason for that?

1) Semi-totalitarian state that really does not know how to be open with media from the entire planet, other than its own?
2) The airliner was shot down by mistake and they are all covering it up?
3) They are not being very forthcoming in recognizing their incompetence (if they are being incompetent)
4) They really have something big to hide

Whenever I wrap my mind about why would anyone not share info. on MH370, I really can´t find a motive.

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 177):
MH370: "Ho Chi Minh on one-two-five decimal seven-two-five. All right, good night."

I believe the actual words after "All Right" were "Roger" not "Good Night"

YokoTsuno

Quoting Airbus747 (Reply 95):
Well, I haven't come across any comments from Malaysia so far... I simply would be interested to hear more about what the local aviation enthusiasts/experts/pilots/etc think - provided that we actually have any members from there!. So, if you are out there, what do you think is going on?

You'd like me to ask. I can at least spot 10 right now .

Pretty sure what they are gonna answer though.

Starlionblue

Quoting philask (Reply 182):
Quoting radone (Reply 180):
MLE airport is exactly on the 4 hours range circle. It is a tiny (islamic) community with a large airport used to handle big charters by night, so a cover up mission wouldn't have been that hard.

Said as someone who knows nothing about the Maldives... seriously, you think nobody would notice at such a busy international airport?

Indeed.

It would be hard to hide a rogue Twin Otter at Male airport. It has only one runway and takes up the entirety of a tiny, pancake-flat island. This island, I might add, is in plain sight of the capital one kilometer away.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 185):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 177):

I believe the actual words after "All Right" were "Roger" not "Good Night"

That actually makes more sense. Thx.

[Edited 2014-03-13 02:08:14]

[Edited 2014-03-13 02:08:41]

CaliAtenza

Quoting philask (Reply 182):

also you are forgetting about Diego Garcia. I'll bet you the farm that US forces have radar of coverage of the entire Indian Ocean; probably even more than India itself.

JimJupiter

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:08 am

There's at least one stolen plane out there since 2003. They will be looking for such things anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Boeing_727-223_disappearance

Btw., thinking about the 727. If somebody wanted to actually "steal" an airplane for whatever mischievuos purpose, there are so many stored jets out there, in places with more or less security, that it would probably much easier to get one of those than trying to pinch one out of active operations...
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

Owleye

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:08 am

Maybe the two events, a low flying unidentified flying object (locals and fishermen are talking about a plane) over the Strait of Malakka (Kota Baru region) and, at the other side of the Malayasia Penninsula the kiwi oil ridge worker sees a burning aircraft coming down in the Gulf of Thailand/South Chinese Sea region have nothing to do with eachother but if they do what has happened...? Still my feeling: a stealth fighter/drone collided with the 777?

Starlionblue

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:09 am

Quoting Owleye (Reply 190):
Still my feeling: a stealth fighter/drone collided with the 777?

Where's the wreckage?

Quoting JimJupiter (Reply 188):
Btw., thinking about the 727. If somebody wanted to actually "steal" an airplane for whatever mischievuos purpose, there are so many stored jets out there, in places with more or less security, that it would probably much easier to get one of those than trying to pinch one out of active operations...

Quite so. I had the same thought a few threads ago. This seems very hard work just to steal a large plane for some nefarious purpose.

Then again, no one said bad guys had to be rational.

[Edited 2014-03-13 02:10:55]

[Edited 2014-03-13 02:13:59]

KIAS

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:10 am

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 181):
where are the circuit breakers for the CVR and the FDR located?

Also in the e/e bay.

Quoting garpd (Reply 183):
Do we have confirmation of this yet?
I know the WSJ is a respected paper, but so far, they are the only source of this information.

It is really up to MAS to confirm, the EHM data is their intellectual property. As far as I know 2 snapshot reports were corroborated by multiple sources, but not anything beyond that.

[Edited 2014-03-13 02:12:34]
"We fly, but we have not 'conquered' the air. When we presume mastery, we are often startled by our ignorance." - DHW

CaliAtenza

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:12 am

Quoting KIAS (Reply 192):
Also in the e/e bay.

then maybe there is hope that those weren't shut off.

nm2582

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:13 am

random thought:

the reason this engine health reporting news is so delayed in becoming public could be: There was an assumption that the people who took MH370 were not aware that they were actually broadcasting such data, and by sitting on this news, there was hope that the aircraft could be tracked via this data to whatever the final destination was. Once the news became public, it was known that those responsible would disable the system - so it had to stay private for several days.

It's entirely possible that WSJ's leak compromised an active tracking mission - who knows?

philask

Quoting Owleye (Reply 190):
Still my feeling: a stealth fighter/drone collided with the 777?

Why would a "stealth fighter / drone" be flying at commercial aircraft altitudes and in that flight path? And lets just entertain your theory, where's the wreckage? You think five or six asian countries would collaborate to cover this up?

garpd

Quoting KIAS (Reply 192):

Also in the e/e bay.

Then we have a chance that, if the plane is ever found, we might be able to learn what actually happened!

Anyone know what types of FDR and CVR Malaysian have fitted to their 772ER fleet and how long they record data for?
arpdesign.wordpress.com

airbuseric

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:14 am

The captain was on his flight simulator at home a lot, on trial missions? If the plane flew towards the Indian Ocean, and e.g. towards Somalia/Yemen, how many hours of flying it needs? 6? Did the captain maybe use the 777 as a glider into some location? We know that an aircraft is a glider (remember the TS A330 to Acores), it can glide for a long long time (did the captain try this on his simulator?)

Just a thought...
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

philask

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 am

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 197):
Did the captain maybe use the 777 as a glider into some location? We know that an aircraft is a glider (remember the TS A330 to Acores), it can glide for a long long time (did the captain try this on his simulator?)

A 230t glider... 777 glide ratio is about 20:1 (best case) so from 35,000 ft that would be about 100 miles. We're assuming it's a lot lower than that (to be under radar).

[Edited 2014-03-13 02:21:33]

Owleye

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:16 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 191):
That is possible but where's the wreckage?

Indeed, where is it? How trustfull is the statement of the kiwi oil ridge worker than? If it is true what he proclaims there must be something in the water, right?

KIAS

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:18 am

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 197):
The captain was on his flight simulator at home a lot, on trial missions? If the plane flew towards the Indian Ocean, and e.g. towards Somalia/Yemen, how many hours of flying it needs? 6? Did the captain maybe use the 777 as a glider into some location? We know that an aircraft is a glider (remember the TS A330 to Acores), it can glide for a long long time (did the captain try this on his simulator?)

A simpler explanation is that he is an aviator, and enjoys building and enjoying simulators. The glider theory seems especially far-fetched.

777Jet

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:20 am

Quoting Owleye (Reply 199):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 191):
That is possible but where's the wreckage?

Indeed, where is it? How trustfull is the statement of the kiwi oil ridge worker than? If it is true what he proclaims there must be something in the water, right?

Or under the water, possibly on the ocean floor...  

Nothing can be ruled out. The Kiwi might have even been encouraged or forced to make up this as to intentionally mislead the investigation...

[Edited 2014-03-13 02:23:52]

AirPacific747

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:21 am

It's possible that the aircraft hasn't crashed but landed in a secret location. Until the wreckage is found, nothing is certain.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos