slinky09

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 20

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Until there is hard evidence - floating debris, sensing of the ELTs, and intact airliner at a jungle airstrip (unlikely), or other - whatever the US 'indication' was it is still a puzzle.

If other indications were correct, that the plane turned and levelled at 29,500 ft, why then within the space of what, another 600 or so miles, dd it ditch I wonder?

AKA there are still a gazillion questions and no answers.

Trin

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:22 pm

From CNN now:

"White House says recent information has opened possibility of a new search area in Indian Ocean for missing airliner. Officials deny report that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 kept flying for hours."

ANITIX87

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Quoting 2008matt (Reply 45):

Say the aircraft did ditch on the water in largely one piece, what sort of thing would they be looking for floating in the water?

What an odd question. If the plane ditched "in one piece" they'd be looking for a plane....no?

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

CaliAtenza

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Quoting Trin (Reply 53):

"White House says recent information has opened possibility of a new search area in Indian Ocean for missing airliner. Officials deny report that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 kept flying for hours."

so that means that there is some credence again to the theory the plane cross over malaysia/thailand and ended up on the other side.

rebr

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 54):
What an odd question. If the plane ditched "in one piece" they'd be looking for a plane....no?

No, it would sink, and he specifically asked what you may look for that is still floating around...

redflyer

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Quoting katekebo (Reply 25):
The WSJ report about ACARS being sent for 4 hours after loss of contact has been dismissed by several sources.

Well, the White House is now confirming they are going to consider deploying assets to the Indian Ocean to engage in the search. I would think they would not make an official comment like that unless they had very credible evidence that the airplane ended up there.

Quoting OTF (Reply 36):
This has been debunked by RR, they lost contact with the engines at the same time contact was lost with everything else.

When did RR "debunk" this? The two news sources I saw quoting RR, they stated that they will not make any comments since this is an ongoing investigation.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Trin

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 55):
so that means that there is some credence again to the theory the plane cross over malaysia/thailand and ended up on the other side.

Correct and - as far as I can discern - it's NOT from ACARS/RR engine transmissions. Like I said before - I am sure that they have had time to study Malaysia's radar date (they said themselves they needed help examining it), and have decided that a UFO travelling over the peninsula was *probably* the plane. Still pretty sensational if true/corroborated......but, all we know right now is that U.S. interests are starting to look at the western Strait/Indian Ocean.

MarcoT

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 38):
Why do we have to keep rehashing the same crap? RR has to go through investigators. What information is officially

Right: why we have to continuosly reahash this crap?

In the conference this morning the Malaysian authorities did speak on behalf of RR and Boeing (and that, as someone of your experience surely know, IS the correct protocol).
I did not see any press release form RR or Boeing lamenting that the Malaysian authorities misrepresented them. FULL STOP.

Give it a rest.
Too short space for my favorite hopelessly long winded one liner

neoshi

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Well, not exactly. The plane itself would sink but buoyant pieces from the plane still float (composites, interior trim, seat cushions, life jackets, bodies, etc).

PGNCS

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:29 pm

I am not entering the speculative fray here inasmuch as I don't know what happened. I will, however, comment on this:

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 15):
Plus, I don't even think pilots are able to tell the refuelers to add more fuel,

Yes we can.

I could be wrong on that regard

Yes you are.

it would be very bizarre if an airliner carried 5.5 hours worth of fuel for a 5.5 hour flight

You are, however, right about this.

sennabestever

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:30 pm

This is probably way far fetched but since I know nothing about space and how high commercial airlines can get I'll throw it out there just for my own curiosity.

What if they plane had a mechanical issue that knocked out comms and put it into an uncontrollable ascent? Is it possible it's floating around up there in near space? Assuming NO, but just curious if this would even be possible?

captainx

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Did the radar at Banda Aceh airport at the tip of Indonesia report anything? Seems they would be involved.

IADLHR

According to the way that statement was said, I guess thats what they are saying. If it did ditch "in one piece" does anyone know how long it could have stayed afloat before it started to sink.

I have not felt that there is a cover up in all this but now I am starting to think there is a chance of that regardless of how remote a chance that happens to be.

I find it so hard with all the assets of the US military, satellites, even CIA and on and on it goes that this plane and its passengers and crew have not been found.

IADCA

Quoting sennabestever (Reply 62):
What if they plane had a mechanical issue that knocked out comms and put it into an uncontrollable ascent? Is it possible it's floating around up there in near space? Assuming NO, but just curious if this would even be possible?

No. That's essentially what a service ceiling is. The wings are only able to produce enough lift to hold it at a certain altitude, no matter whether you keep pointing the nose up or not or how hard you run the engines. That height gets a tad higher as fuel burns off (hence why you see planes step-climbing on very long flights), but for every plane, there's an absolute max and it's nowhere near space for any commercial airliner.

Boeing717200

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:36 pm

No. Air is too thin. Plane stalls and crashes.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

David L

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:38 pm

As in Single Stage to Orbit?

Kaiarahi

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Quoting redflyer (Reply 57):
Well, the White House is now confirming they are going to consider deploying assets to the Indian Ocean to engage in the search. I would think they would not make an official comment like that unless they had very credible evidence that the airplane ended up there.

What the spokesman actually said was

“It is my understanding that one possible piece of information, or pieces of information, has led to the possibility that a new search area may be opened up over the Indian Ocean,”

This is a long way from "very credible evidence" - spokespeople choose their words carefully, and this is a prime example of how they get twisted into something the spokesperson didn't say.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

flyingturtle

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Thank you for your inputs, but...  

Just to stir that thing up, and to debunk some things...

Quoting billreid (Reply 19):
As interesting as the many theories are, remember Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Given the evidence we have, MH370 having been snatched by an UFO is also a correct explanation! It just needs one assumption, namely the existence of airplane-snatching UFOs near earth!

Proof of that theory? We have, except the last radar returns, not a single trace of MH370. 
1. They never dialed in intentionally. Logic tells you they didn't have a catastrophic failure at the exact moment of transfer between two countries while changing radio frequencies. No debris at that location because the plane isn't there. (I think I have a better chance of winning Mega-Millions forty weeks in a row.)

The plane having crashed with a very high velocity (which would give you next to zero floating debris) is also a possibility. This *is* a catastrophic failure of some sort, but which one?

2. They wanted Malaysia ATC to stop tracking them, and they never asked Vietnam to track them.

Why? A failure of ATC handover just makes you more suspicious. But if you try, you could still gamble upon the Vietnamese ATC not doing the job right - they might think Malaysia is still responsible for you.

3. They disabled all transponder transmission, most likely pulled the fuse. The intent was not to be tracked.

This can't be ruled out. The only question would be: For what purpose?

4. They then went wherever the went with a perfectly serviceable aircraft.

Possible.

5. The reason why the aircraft can't be found is they don't want to be found. Occam's razor.

Now, contrary to Occam's razor you're explicitly ASSUMING that they don't want to be found. Please remove that assumption, and try to think of another possibility.

6. The reason why conflicting information is coming from the military is they know far more than they are saying.

This is possible, given the international distrust in that area.

7. If you can land and hide an airplane in a third word landing strip you could have a $300,000,000 asset.

A 777-200ER isn't worth 300 million.

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/prices/ gives you a list price of 261 million for a 777-200ER, but the plane in question was the 404th 777 to be built, and had its first flight in 2002, twelve years ago. So that asset can't be that valuable.

8. If I were to want something perhaps it makes more sense to do it through the correct channels not through the media.

I don't understand you here.

9. Suicide fails the razor.

There have been cases of (attempted) pilot suicide, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990 as the foremost example. A pilot suicide would actually be the explanation that best fits the current evidence here, IMHO.

10. Hijack is possible.

We would have some information on this, because the security agencies, police and other authorities now had five days to check the passenger list against their intelligence.

11. Theft is possible. (Think somalian theft of ships)

Okay, on the first international flight this 777 will just be seized. If this holds true, this 777 would just fly domestic flights, for example in Northern Korea.

12. Catastrophic failure fails the razor.

This is well possible! Tell me why you don't believe this. I'm interested.

13. Military intervention is possible.

Given the international area (Vietnam, China, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan...), military intelligence assets could be everywhere. For example if Malaysia or Thailand shot it down, China would just jump at the opportunity to blame the perpetrator.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

7BOEING7

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Quoting KIAS (Reply 41):
No. The circuit breakers are located in the E/E bay.

The L, R, C VHF and the L, R HF circuit breakers are on the aft overhead panel on the diagram I'm looking at -- SATCOM is there also but I'm guessing it's not installed on this particular airplane.

Kaiarahi

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Quoting captainx (Reply 65):
Did the radar at Banda Aceh airport at the tip of Indonesia report anything?

Mandala499 answered several threads ago that there were no traces recorded by Indonesian radar.

davidzill

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Thread 17, post 146 (TOMNOD image). Look at the pictures closely. If this isn't 370, this is someone's airplane. What is the geographical location?

Summa767

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Quoting Trin (Reply 53):
"White House says recent information has opened possibility of a new search area in Indian Ocean for missing airliner

I hope they tell us what new information is leading towards the Indian Ocean search possibility. Is it the radar, US satellites picking up something, or will it be RR having received some transmission after all?

As the plane has not been found in the shallow waters around where it disappeared and after so much effort in the search, the theory of it turning west seems to be gaining more credence.
And why indeed just search the Malacca strait, when there was fuel for hours of flight?
This scenario would point towards a very sinister motives, that were well planned. Might they have been rehearsed in a simulator?
If it is true that the White House is backing the story of the Indian Ocean search, then some confidence can hopefully be restored in this search.

captainx

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Bloomberg: "With no evidence of a mechanical failure or pilot error, U.S. investigators are treating the disappearance as a case of air piracy, though it remains unclear by whom, one person said. The investigation still hasn't located where the plane may be, the person said. "

PIKtoYEG

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:47 pm

Billie Vincent - Former FAA Security Director - on CNN:

"I find it improbable the plane crashed. The US Navy is not redeploying assets to a different part of the Indian Ocean if the plane did not fly for hours after the last known reported position"

And then hypothesis as to what that might mean. Hmmmm.

kmot

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:50 pm

Quoting davidzill (Reply 75):
Thread 17, post 146 (TOMNOD image). Look at the pictures closely. If this isn't 370, this is someone's airplane. What is the geographical location?

I agree that this looks like a plane. We will just have to wait it out and see if they can locate it somewhere else. Fingers crossed that they find the plane and its passengers alive.

IADLHR

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 76):
I hope they tell us what new information is leading towards the Indian Ocean search possibility. Is it the radar, US satellites picking up something, or will it be RR having received some transmission after all?

As the plane has not been found in the shallow waters around where it disappeared and after so much effort in the search, the theory of it turning west seems to be gaining more credence.
And why indeed just search the Malacca strait, when there was fuel for hours of flight?
This scenario would point towards a very sinister motives, that were well planned. Might they have been rehearsed in a simulator?
If it is true that the White House is backing the story of the Indian Ocean search, then some confidence can hopefully be restored in this search.

I have to say this story is getting very creepy. I was channel surfing on tv a few hours ago and heard on one channel that the home of the pilot was raided by police. Apparently they found a simulator in his house. Is it possible the police got some information off that and leads have developed from that raid?

I tried to find the channel that I heard that on when I was channel surfing but could not get back to it.

panampaul

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:56 pm

It now appears that the White House is involved a bit more in the search, to wit:

White House Says Search for Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane May Widen to Indian Ocean

Quote:
The latest information on the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines 777 comes from the White House in Washington, D.C.

President Obama’s chief spokesman, Jay Carney, told reporters that the search for Flight 370 may expand to the Indian Ocean, where it may have crashed. The move, according to the White House, is based on new but inconclusive information about the aircraft’s movements after contact was lost on Saturday.....

n471wn

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 80):
Apparently they found a simulator in his house

Everyone knows that including the airline---he was a very good pilot and studied aviation all the time--nothing odd about that

redflyer

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 70):
What the spokesman actually said was

“It is my understanding that one possible piece of information, or pieces of information, has led to the possibility that a new search area may be opened up over the Indian Ocean,”

Ok, so obviously that "possible piece of information, or pieces of information" is sufficiently credible to deploy assets to the IO side of the peninsula. Which only buttresses my point, which is that the authorities, in particular in the West, are looking at information that leads them to believe the flight may have ended up there. Put another way, the U.S. is not going to send assets on a wild goose chase unless the information they have is credible. So then the question is: What information do they have (which we don't) that leads them to believe it might be worthwhile to deploy hardware and manpower to that location? Radar returns? Information from RR that the engines continued to operate for some time after the flight went offline?

We've been discussing radar returns for a couple of days now. Coincidence that the WSJ report came out today and the WH statement is following on its heels?
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Kaiarahi

I hope they tell us what new information is leading towards the Indian Ocean search possibility.
And why indeed just search the Malacca strait,

It's important not to confuse two different developments.

1) USS Kidd is deploying to an area in the Malacca Strait that has recently been searched by a P-3C. P-3s can deploy sonar buoys, but the sonar equipment on USS Kidd is much more sophisticated.

2) The Indian Navy has been asked to search specific coordinates off Nicobar Island (Andaman Sea).

JimJupiter

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Quoting PIKtoYEG (Reply 49):
“It is my understanding the one possible piece of information, or pieces of information, has led to the possibility that a new search area may be opened up over the Indian Ocean,” he said, without detailing the nature of the new information."

Which means it was flying way longer than the last known contact point, considering the cost in repositioning several vessels. And it was flying in a different direction...West.

No. It means they think it might have flown way longer.
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

na

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Apparently they found a simulator in his house.

A widely know fact published numerous times.

I was channel surfing on tv a few hours ago and heard on one channel that the home of the pilot was raided by police

Raided or visited?

airbuseric

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Look at the pictures closely. If this isn't 370, this is someone's airplane. What is the geographical location?
Quoting kmot (Reply 79):
I agree that this looks like a plane.

The 'plane' image you're mentioning about are found at this location:

I agree that it looks like a 777
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

AR385

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 pm

So. Wouldn´t by this time debris have started washing up on some coast? I don´t know the currents but I think that´s plausible. Has nobody seen any yet on a beach?

CaliAtenza

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Quoting PIKtoYEG (Reply 78):

Billie Vincent - Former FAA Security Director - on CNN:

"I find it improbable the plane crashed. The US Navy is not redeploying assets to a different part of the Indian Ocean if the plane did not fly for hours after the last known reported position"

And then hypothesis as to what that might mean. Hmmmm.

are there any islands or remote strips in the Indian Ocean that both India and the US don't know about?

IADLHR

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Quoting na (Reply 86):
I was channel surfing on tv a few hours ago and heard on one channel that the home of the pilot was raided by police

Raided or visited?

The channel dedfinitely said raided. They also said there had been prior visits to the house.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 84):
1) USS Kidd is deploying to an area in the Malacca Strait that has recently been searched by a P-3C. P-3s can deploy sonar buoys, but the sonar equipment on USS Kidd is much more sophisticated.

2) The Indian Navy has been asked to search specific coordinates off Nicobar Island (Andaman Sea).

Any idea / have they said how much time each operation will take before they get any result?

JimJupiter

I was channel surfing on tv a few hours ago and heard on one channel that the home of the pilot was raided by police.

A police (?) spokesman denied this report(s) at their latest press conference.
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

N328KF

I was channel surfing on tv a few hours ago and heard on one channel that the home of the pilot was raided by police. Apparently they found a simulator in his house. Is it possible the police got some information off that and leads have developed from that raid?

You say a pilot, who has a professional, and likely personal interest in aviation, has a kickass flight simulator rig at home? Conspiracy!
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

Kaiarahi

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Quoting redflyer (Reply 83):
the authorities, in particular in the West, are looking at information

According to the US Navy, the deployment of USS Kidd was in response to a request from Malaysian authorities who, under international law, are leading the investigation. Please get over the idea that western hemisphere countries know / do everything better.

timothy31388

He is one of many pilots that have their own flight simulators at home. Nothing unusual about that.
TJJINDI

IADLHR

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 89):
are there any islands or remote strips in the Indian Ocean that both India and the US don't know about?

I have thought of that too. There might be some places they know about but dont think it could be there because it is so remote.

I just find it impossible with all the assets of the US alone that could be the case. But again,who knows?

pvjin

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:04 pm

I was channel surfing on tv a few hours ago and heard on one channel that the home of the pilot was raided by police. Apparently they found a simulator in his house. Is it possible the police got some information off that and leads have developed from that raid?

I believe the main simulator he was using is Flight Simulator X. I thought about it myself, for example if someone flew a 777 from Kuala Lumpur to Mogadishu in his simulator that could be seen from simulator's flight logs if those didn't get deleted.

So theoretically there could be some clues into the simulator if someone had been practicing some interesting destinations with it... If someone wanted to play a crazy, messed up cat and mouse game with the investigators it would be possible to leave some clues inside the sim in form of logs, screenshots, saved flights and such.

However I really don't believe the captain had anything to do with the disappearing... If anything the simulator hobby would prove he's a real aviation enthusiast who loves his job, not someone who would commit "air piracy".

[Edited 2014-03-13 12:09:59]
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

rebr

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:05 pm

An island/strip they don't know about? Lots of nope

Kaiarahi

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Think surveillance satellites, Diego Garcia, even Google earth. No!

bellancacf

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 87):

And a moderately intact one at that. I'd get a diver down there right away.

flyingturtle

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:07 pm

The location can be found in this error message:

{"id":4894,"overlay_id":1226,"lat":7.541126,"lon":103.011956,"status":1,"msg":"Retrieved map ID = 4894"}

(Just replace "challenge" in the Tomnod link for "api", this gives you the location.)

To me it looks like clouds that are, by chance, looking like an airplane. My biggest reason: If you're looking for a 777, you're trying to see a 777 (or its parts) in this image. Over land, if we were looking for the tent of a lost hiker, we would take any plastic sheet for this tent...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

RightRudder

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:08 pm

Quoting marktci (Reply 33):
You are aware that this was the March 8th flight, right?

Yes, I am very flightaware. There is a difference between Malaysia Time (MYT) and Central Standard Time (CST) http://flightaware.com/live/flight/M...0/history/20140306/1635Z/WMKK/ZBAA
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana".

DeltaMD90

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 87):

Really? I think it looks like a pixelated mess. I thought this picture has been debunked already a while ago?

na

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:09 pm

That plane is underwater, bet on it. Otherwise the black box would have been detected by now, or someone on land will have seen something. If there is a remote chance its ended up on land the SAR would look there too. They do not.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos