LAXintl
Topic Author

United To Offer Free Movies/TV On Apple Devices

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Starting next month, United Airlines will let users watch hundreds of movies and TV shows free on their Apple laptops and iOS mobile devices.

The airline said customers with compatible devices will be able to watch more than 150 movies and nearly 200 TV shows without having to pay any fees.

To watch the free content, iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users will have to download the latest version of the United app.

The airline said laptop owners will have to download and install a browser plug-in to watch certain types of content.

United Airlines to offer free movies on Apple iOS devices, laptops
http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...40313,0,188756.story#axzz2vqz2JAPt

=

Obviously a joint marketing effort with Apple, one of UA's larger corporate contracts.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

usairways85

RE: United To Offer Free Movies/TV On Apple Devices

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Just to be clear, any brand laptop can be used to view the content, you do not need an Apple.

Currently only the Apple iOS mobile platform is the only mobile platform fully supported (Android is not)

[Edited 2014-03-13 12:01:09]

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm

From what I understand Apple will have a 6 month or so exclusive.

Also once other platforms are rolled out so will pricing model for such streaming content.

max550

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm

They also claim to offer wifi. I'll believe it when I see it.

catiii

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Quoting max550 (Reply 3):
They also claim to offer wifi. I'll believe it when I see it.

I've seen it, thusly I believe it.

usairways85

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:08 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
From what I understand Apple will have a 6 month or so exclusive.

There is no mention of the Apple exclusivity for laptops.

Quote:
Download the latest United app from the iTunes® App Store if you’ll be using a mobile device. Laptops do not require the app.

Once you’re onboard, you’ll see two types of media. Some programs require a browser plug-in on your laptop or the latest United App on your Apple® iOS. This can be downloaded at any time during your flight without purchase of United Wi-Fi. Other programs can be watched through the United Portal on your browser with no plug-in or app required.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
Also once other platforms are rolled out so will pricing model for such streaming content.

...and that's when this becomes just like any other media provider and nothing special

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 5):
There is no mention of the Apple exclusivity for laptops.

Per United document I received:

"debut an Apple-only entertainment service that will let customers access more than 150 movies and 200 TV shows while up in the air."

also;

"iPhone, iPad, and Mac users will have to access more than 150 movies and 200 TV shows for free when flying on United Airlines."

=

So either way, they are certainly pumping up the Apple name in association with this.

tommy767

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:38 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):

Will avoid flying UA domestically if they charge for this. Especially considering the domestic competition offers in-seat AVOD with a combination of free and PPV content.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

catiii

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 7):
Will avoid flying UA domestically if they charge for this. Especially considering the domestic competition offers in-seat AVOD with a combination of free and PPV content.

Well, let's face it, you're going to avoid flying UA anyways but having said that the domestic competition's product is wholly inferior to this option. 18 (or 36) free over the air channels and PPV for everything else in economy? Oh boy. Meanwhile, the future of entertainment as evidenced by the success of Netflix, HBOGo, Amazon On Demand, Hulu, etc. is on demand, internet streaming content. JetBlue and Delta were revolutionary 8-15 years ago when they had live TVs and wifi on their airplanes. But their product isn't what it used to be. United is now taking it to the next level and providing passengers what they want. They should monetize it.

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Especially considering the domestic competition offers in-seat AVOD with a combination of free and PPV content.

Where? AA charges if you find a plane with AVOD, DL does mostly as well. B6 has a limited network, and VX even more so.

Quoting catiii (Reply 8):
Well, let's face it, you're going to avoid flying UA anyways

E pur si muove -Galileo

codc10

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Especially considering the domestic competition offers in-seat AVOD with a combination of free and PPV content.

Right, like the entire US domestic fleet, AA MD-80s/757s/most 738s, DL MD-88s/many 757s/many 738s/A320s, Southwest, etc.

Manta

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Free?? We'll see if my ticket price suspiciously increases when this goes live.

tlecam

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:16 pm

The idea to embed the entertainment into the United app is pretty cool, not to mention innovative. In some ways, this is analogous to companies allowing employees to bring your own device (BYOD).

There will be growing pains - both in terms of saturation of mobile devices by all demographics of the population - as well as in terms of the time it will take to roll out the wifi technology and the necessary power supplies to the entire fleet.

However, I think that if United commits to this strategy and executes, it will become a very successful model over time.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

FWAERJ

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Part of the reason why it's not available for Android and other OSes where there's a United app is because UA redesigned its app for iOS 7 first, as it was the first major mobile OS release of 2013. At the time iOS 7 was released, Android was still on Jelly Bean and Windows Phone 8 was still the newest version. UA has said that as other mobile OSes get major updates, you'll be seeing the new-look UA app, streaming and all. Android was supposed to be next because of the release of 4.4 KitKat, while Windows Phone users will probably have to wait for Windows Phone 8.1 (which isn't even out yet, and won't be for a while).

So there's no "Apple favoritism" - Apple simply updated iOS before the others updated, and UA decided to update their app as the OSes are updated. And don't forget that the iPad is not the only tablet supported by UA - though there's no app in the Windows Store, a Windows tablet with your favorite web browser will work just as well as a Windows laptop for this.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

tommy767

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Meanwhile, the future of entertainment as evidenced by the success of Netflix, HBOGo, Amazon On Demand, Hulu, etc. is on demand, internet streaming content. JetBlue and Delta were revolutionary 8-15 years ago when they had live TVs and wifi on their airplanes. But their product isn't what it used to be. United is now taking it to the next level and providing passengers what they want. They should monetize it.

I have it at home. It's nice, but when I'm in the air I prefer something stationary and installed.

Also just look to flyertalk to various reports of inconsistency problems with UA's domestic IFE. Since they chose to not install all elements of streaming entertainment at the same time, you have some 737 and Airbus that don't have Wi-fi, some that don't have active power, and some that don't have the working streaming capabilities either. The issue is that it's inconsistent with what's available on the international side, and with what's already available with drop down screens and DTV.

If you think this is something revolutionary, it's not. It's just a way for them to cheap out on installing future DTV or AVOD on the domestic fleet.

Quoting codc10 (Reply 10):
Right, like the entire US domestic fleet, AA MD-80s/757s/most 738s, DL MD-88s/many 757s/many 738s/A320s, Southwest, etc.

I'm not sure since UA has over 200 50 seat RJs, why not install Wi-fi on them as well...?

Recently DL said they would install AVOD on the 319, 738, 753 and 757. AA said the same for future 738 and Airbus deliveries. Where's UA on this one?

Well, let's face it, you're going to avoid flying UA anyways but having said that the domestic competition's product is wholly inferior to this option.

Let's stay on topic.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 14):
Also just look to flyertalk to various reports of inconsistency problems with UA's domestic IFE

So basically it's just like every other carrier on the planet...  
It's just a way for them to cheap out on installing future DTV or AVOD on the domestic fleet.

LH is doing the same thing, along with potentially JL, WN, and LA. And if I were a betting man, I'd suspect loads more since the financial return on in-seat AVOD is non existent.
E pur si muove -Galileo

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:19 pm

They should monetize it.

Also just look to flyertalk to various reports of inconsistency problems with UA's domestic IFE.

Give it time. Like other cabin changes, it takes time to outfit hundreds of planes so its a longer term process. Lots of moving parts, but the good news is that by end of 2014, bulk of the domestic fleet will be complete.

I'm not sure since UA has over 200 50 seat RJs, why not install Wi-fi on them as well...?

Poor business case.

tommy767

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 15):
So basically it's just like every other carrier on the planet...

At least then the public gets a free viewing option. Not qualms with overhead screens at all. Just is unfortunate that there will be such varied forms of consistency for the Y passenger. To think on LAX-EWR you can have one plane that has free AVOD, one that has DTV, and one that has nothing (or forgive me, 'streaming' if it works that day.) Now granted DL and AA have those varying issues as well, but the degree is not as severe on many longer haul routes.

IIRC, Southwest's streaming is completely free. If UA decides to charge for it, I would think this further fits the profile of nickel and diming the public.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

catiii

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:36 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 17):
Not qualms with overhead screens at all. Just is unfortunate that there will be such varied forms of consistency for the Y passenger.

Like the incredibly consistent IFE Y product on Delta? It is incredibly severe on longhaul routes. DL knows it's an issue, but doesn't do anything about it.

I have it at home. It's nice, but when I'm in the air I prefer something stationary and installed.

You're in the minority of where the market is moving, but hey, that's why they have menus at restaurants.

Also just look to flyertalk to various reports of inconsistency problems with UA's domestic IFE. Since they chose to not install all elements of streaming entertainment at the same time, you have some 737 and Airbus that don't have Wi-fi, some that don't have active power, and some that don't have the working streaming capabilities either. The issue is that it's inconsistent with what's available on the international side, and with what's already available with drop down screens and DTV.

The same inconsistency issues in availability exist at DL, AA, US, etc.

If you think this is something revolutionary, it's not. It's just a way for them to cheap out on installing future DTV or AVOD on the domestic fleet.

And yet, given the weight issues on hard screens in the setbacks, it's the direction every carrier wants to go in.

Let's stay on topic.

I am on topic. You're not going to fly United, and the other carriers have an inferior product. How am I off topic?

ua900

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:48 pm

If it's not revolutionary, others should offer it. Who else does? Yes, it's a cheap way out, and a good one at that. Beats the old system of constantly broken and fuzzy screens. Better to externalize the cost and the SLA on system availability.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 15):
LH is doing the same thing, along with potentially JL, WN, and LA. And if I were a betting man, I'd suspect loads more since the financial return on in-seat AVOD is non existent.

Carriers face a cost challenge in constantly updating fixed screens and contents. Just look at how far the IFEs in J have come. We went from 5" to 15" and more, from nine movie channels that played everything in a loop to movies that you can pause, rewind, change and resume at your leisure. As more and more people carry portable devices, FAA barriers fell and carriers are scrambling to have 100% power ports and wifi. Better to invest in that than in new IFE screens and hard drives under every seat.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 16):
Poor business case.

Not fully. OO has wifi on the CRJ9s they fly for DL, they could do the same with UA CRJ7s.
2020: DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

tommy767

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:03 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 18):
Like the incredibly consistent IFE Y product on Delta? It is incredibly severe on longhaul routes. DL knows it's an issue, but doesn't do anything about it.

Such as? I'm not talking 2-3 hour flights. These "dark" 739s are on EWR-SFO.

You're in the minority of where the market is moving, but hey, that's why they have menus at restaurants.

Um, what?

nd yet, given the weight issues on hard screens in the setbacks, it's the direction every carrier wants to go in.

Weight issues are overrated. As said, it doesn't stop DL and AA from offering AVOD on new planes domestically.

I am on topic. You're not going to fly United, and the other carriers have an inferior product. How am I off topic?

You really want to go there, huh? I never brought that up, you did.

[Edited 2014-03-13 15:03:36]
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

PMUA787

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:15 pm

UA should have waited until it was available on both Apple and Android devices to avoid the perception of favoritism towards Apple.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:16 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 19):
Not fully. OO has wifi on the CRJ9s they fly for DL, they could do the same with UA CRJ7s.

DL is taking a loss by subsidizing it.

I just did a presentation on gogo only days ago. Their average domestic US uptake rate was barely 5% in 2013. Equipment and install cost along with ongoing maintenance can barely be justified on a large narrowbody, let alone the numbers don't even come close to gaining any ROI on a RJ.

Its a poor business case. Anyhow 50-seaters have short remaning lifestyles.

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 20):
Quoting tommy767 (Reply 17):
To think on LAX-EWR you can have one plane that has free AVOD, one that has DTV, and one that has nothing

And yet UA still has higher average fares in those markets than a couple operators with AVOD
E pur si muove -Galileo

strfyr51

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
Starting next month, United Airlines will let users watch hundreds of movies and TV shows free on their Apple laptops and iOS mobile devices.

The airline said customers with compatible devices will be able to watch more than 150 movies and nearly 200 TV shows without having to pay any fees.

To watch the free content, iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users will have to download the latest version of the United app.

The airline said laptop owners will have to download and install a browser plug-in to watch certain types of content.

United Airlines to offer free movies on Apple iOS devices, laptops
http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...40313,0,188756.story#axzz2vqz2JAPt

Obviously a joint marketing effort with Apple, one of UA's larger corporate contracts.

They need to get out and beta test the streaming Video system BEFORE anyone has to pay for it. We're having gripes already about the Wi-fi from customers only to find that even while the system is being Griped and INOP??.
There are passengers logged on to the system and recieving Wifi and internet just fine. and we're verifying it Via Panasonic's MCC as not all of us controllers have access to the Wi fi operational software to verify it's connectivity.

toobz

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:50 pm

So while I'm on my 5hr flight will i have an outlet to charge my IOS devices? If not this sucks. And DL btw is spending a lot of money to add avod to most of its fleet. It most definitely will not be very inconsistent.

tommy767

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:51 pm

Quoting toobz (Reply 25):

According to some reports on FT the power on the 319/320 redux and some 739 are not active yet. Wi-fi is also inconsistent.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

codc10

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Weight issues are overrated.

... Really?

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 26):
According to some reports on FT the power on the 319/320 redux and some 739 are not active yet

No power yet on A319/320, but all 739ERs should have active power at every seat, and 739s forward of the exits.

Quoting PMUA787 (Reply 21):
UA should have waited until it was available on both Apple and Android devices to avoid the perception of favoritism towards Apple

This was entirely deliberate.

Are there any operators with wifi on their 50-seaters?

MSPNWA

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:33 am

Good news from UA. That's a nice addition to the IFE options. I think UA and WN are really looking ahead to the future which is streaming entertainment to personal devices. You can offer a more consistent experience if done right.

Quoting toobz (Reply 25):
And DL btw is spending a lot of money to add avod to most of its fleet. It most definitely will not be very inconsistent.

By my quick count they'll still have over 300 domestic airplanes without AVOD. Still very inconsistent as roughly half the domestic fleet will have it and half won't. And I just love having the chance of getting an Airbus swap not in your favor...

jayunited

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:29 pm

So let me see if I understand what you are saying "they chose not to install all elements of streaming entertainment at the same time some have WiFi some don't some have power other's don't". So are you suggesting that UA should ground the entire fleet until all Airbus's have WiFi and in-seat power installed and the same thing for the 737 fleet? I guess you really don't understand how these things work there is no way for UA to have consistency across the entire fleet at the same time while still running an airline. Almost every week at least one Airbus is returned to service with WiFi installed and earlier this year UA announced that they have received FAA certification to begin installing in-seat power throughout on the Airbus fleet.

UA is not taking the cheap option they are taking the smart option because it's not necessary to haul all that heavy equipment on a domes aircraft especially when more and more customers are bringing their own WiFi enabled devises on the aircraft with them. And if you think UA is alone on this issue you might be surprised because I highly doubt that the new AA is now going to install PTV's on the entire US domestic fleet especially after US pull all entertainment off their aircraft. IMO the new AA's combined fleet will mirror UA's combined fleet where AA's fleet will have PTV's and WiFi while the US's fleet will have WiFi and streaming video only.

CGMAI

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Meanwhile, the future of entertainment as evidenced by the success of Netflix, HBOGo, Amazon On Demand, Hulu, etc. is on demand, internet streaming content. JetBlue and Delta were revolutionary 8-15 years ago when they had live TVs and wifi on their airplanes. But their product isn't what it used to be. United is now taking it to the next level and providing passengers what they want. They should monetize it.

Sorry but I'm a passenger that has everything Mac and I DO NOT want this at all! I want in seat IFE, not some streaming crap that does not work most of the time and that when it works its either super slow or my battery runs out of juice...nope I will do my best to avoid airlines that do not offer in seat IFE on flights that I would use IFE.
If its not built by Airbus it must not be good ;-)

phileet92

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Quoting CGMAI (Reply 30):
I want in seat IFE, not some streaming crap that does not work most of the time and that when it works its either super slow or my battery runs out of juice...nope I will do my best to avoid airlines that do not offer in seat IFE on flights that I would use IFE.

Have you flown on planes that have the mod? Pretty sure you're not from the future - may be smart to not make assumptions just yet. Most UA 737s have power ports between seats if you're worried about juice. This is innovative, and a move that UA probably put a lot of effort into designing and rolling out. We wouldn't be human if we didn't innovate and accept change.

catiii

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:30 pm

By way of example, on DL today alone there are "dark" 757s and 737s going from ATL to LAX, SAN, PDX, SFO, SEA (which is supposed to be their new focus city), ABQ, LAS, PHX, and SLC.

Weight issues are overrated. As said, it doesn't stop DL and AA from offering AVOD on new planes domestically.

To say weight issues are overrated shows a lack of understanding of the industry. Even DL highlights weight reducing initiatives in their own press releases. DL offers the technology they offer because they made decisions on them years ago and have sunk those costs.

Quoting CGMAI (Reply 30):
Sorry but I'm a passenger that has everything Mac and I DO NOT want this at all! I want in seat IFE, not some streaming crap that does not work most of the time and that when it works its either super slow or my battery runs out of juice...nope I will do my best to avoid airlines that do not offer in seat IFE on flights that I would use IFE.

That's certainly your choice, but again the content industry feels otherwise.

solarflyer22

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Thank god. Last flight to LA I had no entertainment and no free food.

Hello WN. They've been doing this for a while and they don't change their IFE randomly without warning.

tommy767

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 29):

Ever hear of technological obsolescence? This streaming thing is NOT the future of in-flight entertainment. UA is foolish for investing in a product that will likely get more advanced as time goes on (and probably on different hardware.)

Quoting catiii (Reply 32):
Quoting catiii (Reply 32):
To say weight issues are overrated shows a lack of understanding of the industry. Even DL highlights weight reducing initiatives in their own press releases. DL offers the technology they offer because they made decisions on them years ago and have sunk those costs.

The only dark DL 757s are the ex-NW ones. Most of the newer ones are getting AVOD, the older 55XX are being retired. Other than that there is no such thing as a dark 757 with DL.

I think my knowledge of the industry is pretty good. Also what I do know is DL is installing AVOD on 319, additional 757, 753, and 739. So in this case, weight issues are indeed overrated since DL is moving forward with a project. They seem to not care some much about weight issues like UA. And hey, at the end of the day DL is making more money anyway!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

rwsea

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Great idea. Looking forward to this rolling out. Would much rather use my own device that has a great picture quality and sound, rather than a flickering PTV with poor sound quality and a tedious user interface. I actually can't stand the former CO planes with direct TV ... obnoxious loud commercials at the beginning and annoying flashing screens throughout the plane.

MaverickM11

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 34):
Ever hear of technological obsolescence? This streaming thing is NOT the future of in-flight entertainment. UA is foolish for investing in a product that will likely get more advanced as time goes on (and probably on different hardware.)

And DL's AVOD won't? Why does technological obsolescence apply only to UA? The difference is UA will have to replace one piece of hardware, while DL will have to rip out every single seat.
E pur si muove -Galileo

tommy767

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 36):

AVOD is not going anywhere. If that's the case, why not add streaming to the recently refirbed 763, 764, and 757? Oh that's right, because they have to compete with international carriers. They don't have to get away with it in the domestic US as much in hub captive markets.

You can also replace the interface on AVOD like DL did several years back. It's not a make or break decision with having AVOD.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

TWA772LR

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Anyone know when this will be extended to android products?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

shaq

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:50 pm

I opened a thread about this new system, but because of people going off topic it got locked.
Im very happy that UA is implementing this system. I dont know of anyone that pays aboard to have dtv or ppv avod, but almost everybody thay flies has a laptop or mobile phones. I think this is the future in domestic flights.
Studying hard, for flying right!

MaverickM11

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 37):
AVOD is not going anywhere

It is almost guaranteed to be going away over the next few years. The economic case isn't there today, and it's only getting worse.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 37):
If that's the case, why not add streaming to the recently refirbed 763, 764, and 757?

All widebodies have AVOD, except the sUA 744s and 3 class 763s, to compete with those intl carriers, a lot of whom are adding streaming themselves.
E pur si muove -Galileo

tommy767

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:02 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 40):

AVOD is not going away. A simple google search will reveal that AA and DL onboarding AVOD to various domestic planes.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Mitico12

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:03 pm

No Android = No Good

Although, I will say, that having a system like this definitely has its advantages in fuel and maintenance savings. Less weight by having to install equipment at each seat, and less maintenance for having to fix the system when it breaks.

[Edited 2014-03-14 11:05:16]

airzim

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 41):

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 40):

AVOD is not going away. A simple google search will reveal that AA and DL onboarding AVOD to various domestic planes.

and this will prove to be a very expensive choice when they rip out the systems in a few years.

United isn't the best in every area, but this is one item that United is taking a leadership role and taking an innovative approach to IFE and customer management.

United will have significantly more flexibility with content and program updates versus static pre loaded systems.

Keep in mind that with this level of WiFi there are plans to enable cabin crews with customer service enhancements through information streaming, plus real time customer IRROP handling.

This is the future.

tommy767

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Quoting airzim (Reply 43):
United will have significantly more flexibility with content and program updates versus static pre loaded systems.

...Are you sure?

Between all the software updates for individual android and mac users, it's going to be a headache if anything else. With AVOD you load up content changes every month. Plus there's always the inevitable bandwidth issues, crashes, glitches etc. With this streaming method travelers are no doubt going to have compatibility issues -- bar none. And instead of the F/A's just reseting the system and making a temporary outage for the whole plane, people are going to get fed up and watch their own stuff. Not to mention they completely isolated any Android user which doesn't make any sense.

It's in a very experiemental stage and that's why early reports of this streaming content with UA have been quite sour. So no, I don't think UA is re-inventing the wheel with this notion. I think it's just a way to save money since they are literally bleeding it.

[Edited 2014-03-14 11:55:01]
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

airzim

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 44):
...Are you sure?

100%

Between all the software updates for individual android and mac users, it's going to be a headache if anything else. With AVOD you load up content changes every month. Plus there's always the inevitable bandwidth issues, crashes, glitches etc. With this streaming method travelers are no doubt going to have compatibility issues -- bar none. And instead of the F/A's just reseting the system and making a temporary outage for the whole plane, people are going to get fed up and watch their own stuff. Not to mention they completely isolated any Android user which doesn't make any sense.

The current batch of IFE systems are notoriously buggy and unreliable. The compatibility argument is not really an issue, and there's no reason why they can't support multiple OS environments like they do today with their mobile app.

The apparent reason they went for Apple first is iOS7 has just been released. Windown and Andriod are about to launch their latest OS versions and they will be rolled in eventually. Starting with one OS as a testbed and rolling out the other releases makes perfect sense and is industry standard practice that doesn't require 100% distribution at the same time.

It's in a very experiemental stage and that's why early reports of this streaming content with UA have been quite sour. So no, I don't think UA is re-inventing the wheel with this notion. I think it's just a way to save money since they are literally bleeding it.

It's not experimental. What United is doing isn't that that unique, only within the airline business. Are there going to be bugs. Sure. It's software and nothing is 100% perfect.

Is it a cost saving item, sure, but it's not the sole reason.

FYI, they are not 'literally bleeding' money. Hyperbole isn't really necessary in this discussion.

tommy767

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Quoting airzim (Reply 45):
Hyperbole isn't really necessary in this discussion.

Inserted to compete with your comment "This is the future"  

But let's keep pretending that they are doing fantastic!

Quoting airzim (Reply 45):
It's not experimental. What United is doing isn't that that unique, only within the airline business. Are there going to be bugs. Sure. It's software and nothing is 100% perfect.

It looks and feels like a cheap out product. AVOD is something to get excited about. This is just a headache.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

phileet92

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 46):
It looks and feels like a cheap out product. AVOD is something to get excited about. This is just a headache.

Time will tell, wonder if there are any figures and CSat scores from WN regarding their steaming service. Seems to make sense from a marketing standpoint, innovative - novel - new product. Don't see US airlines touting a generational Panasonic AVOD upgrade all too often. Then again, you are the marketing analyst.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:53 pm

United might be ahead of the curve, however technology is indeed headed towards streaming.

Even AVOD product manufacturers are looking at ripping costly and heavy wiring out of planes and having their inseat units receive data via wifi instead. One large manufacturer recently settled on an Android OS system as the customer facing interface for example.

At the end of the day there is major hardware cost involved with fixed AVOD systems and greatly reduced flexibility with their deployment compared to streaming.

Yes the streaming technology is new, but it also offers other benefits including seperate channel access for cockpit and cabin crew data needs.

Also while UA is in the headlines in the US, Lufthansa also announced it would also be moving towards streaming first outfitting a fleet of 20 A321s along with an iOS app called "my mediaworld" where passengers sign in to gain access to the content. Lufthansa besides video and audio will also be providing news papers and destination guides via the app.
In Australia, Virgin Australia also has been going streaming so its not a unique thing.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 38):

Anyone know when this will be extended to android products?

I was told around year end. This matches with the 6-month Apple honeymoon.

Between all the software updates for individual android and mac users, it's going to be a headache if anything else.

Why would it be a headache for UA? Airline already maintains and updates its apps on regular basis.
The onus if anything is more on the consumer to ensure they are the ones with an updated OS, not UA.

[Edited 2014-03-14 12:56:33]

sulley

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Looks like we're back to having every United thread derailed.

Anyway...

I wasn't a fan of this move at first, but now that I've learned more about it, I can honestly say that I'll enjoy using the system. The birds with operable wifi are quite enjoyable. I only wish that the seats had USB ports instead of traditional power plugs.

Eh, can't have everything...
In thrust we trust!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos