Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tim73

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 21

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:32 am

Bodies stay underwater at salty warm waters at sea for about 4-10 days before starting to float due to gasses produced inside the body. The warmer water temperature, the more faster the process. So this could help a bit in searching.

btfarrwm

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:34 am

Quoting boacvc10 (Reply 273):

How much of that info can you infer from the location of the satellite and the time taken for pings, and what would need to be encoded?

sbkom

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:36 am

Quoting nupogodi (Reply 285):
It is fascinating that these pings contain location data, if the reports are true, though I suppose that would help the sat pick a beam?

The pings do not necessarily contain the location data. But the satellite antennas can approximate the originating signal's location.

bajamatic

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 am

I'm baffled. We've heard this story now four times! Cue M'asia: Time to announce that there was no satellite messaging.

tomlee

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:40 am

Quoting nupogodi (Reply 294):
AHM / EHM / etc all go over ACARS, which has VHF/HF/SATCOM available as downlinks, and the latter two only if installed and subscribed. They had SATCOM installed though, so when the hardware was powered it was maintaining a connection with the satellite. That is my understanding of the system.

So either the news article is insane or it was just the modem sending pings which does make sense if it is the case. I hope they can clear things up before posting articles as it is really hard to read when everything makes zero sense.

Because we have articles saying ACARS deliberately disabled -10 minutes before last fix and ACARS reporting 4 hours after last fix. When I guess they should be saying SATCOM transmitting 4 hours later? How hard is it to pull the breakers on the SATCOM transmitter.

From abcNews
"The data reporting system, they believe, was shut down at 1:07 a.m. The transponder -- which transmits location and altitude -- shut down at 1:21 a.m"

In my view the fact that the transponder shut off later is strongly against an hijacking theory as it would make far more sense to disable that first. ACARS is probably not as redundant or critical as the transponder or radio and 10 minute difference could still be a catastrophic failure of some sort. In my view non-critical systems would obviously be first to fail while in a deliberate case the most critical systems would be the first to be disabled. Of course if the SATCOM modem was still transmitting four hours later that would be the opposite way but I'll wait till they clear that bit up.

rotating14

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:41 am

Hello. I am late to this thread but came across an interesting article that deserves a quick read if not a glance.

http://thehayride.com/2014/03/heres-...about-that-malaysian-airlines-777/

undertheradar

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:42 am

Quoting sipadan (Reply 291):

I hear you!!.... the 'blinkered' public cant imagine/fathom that ANY flight crew could commit such an act...FLIGHT CREW ARE HUMANS!!! im sticking by my theory...this act was executed by a FLIGHT crew member and MH370 is somewhere in depths of the Indian Ocean

LTC8K6

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:42 am

Quoting tomlee (Reply 304):
In my view the fact that the transponder shut off later is strongly against an hijacking theory as it would make far more sense to disable that first

No, that would alert ATC.

You'd want to delay ATC suspicion as long as you could.

glbltrvlr

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:46 am

Quoting sbkom (Reply 302):

The pings do not necessarily contain the location data.

WSJ is now reporting that they did...

Quote:
Malaysia Airlines missing jet transmitted its location repeatedly to satellites over the course of five hours after it disappeared from radar, people briefed on the matter said, as searchers zeroed in on new target areas hundreds of miles west of the plane's original course. The satellites also received speed and altitude information about the plane from its intermittent "pings," the people said.

kurtjeter

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:46 am

I've read most of this thread, so I apologize if what I'm asking has been dealt with--I missed it!
A while back (threads 14-15?) there was talk about examining the Captain's flight simulator to see if any "suspicious routes or activities" had been logged or practiced. Anything new about that?
Also, when mention of crew-initiated hijacking has been mentioned recently, it seems like captain is most people's first, most logical choice. Why is that?
Thanks for whatever further info/opinions you can provide.

doug_or

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 am

Quoting Tangowhisky (Reply 240):
No they can not stop the masks from falling. The masks fall automatically or through a cockpit switch and give passenger breathing for about 30 minutes. The pilot DO HAVE CONTROL to depressurize the airplane at any point for as long as they want. Their oxygen system last longer than the passengers.

Are you familiar with the systems on the 777? I only ask because on commercial aircraft I've flown you CAN prevent the masks from falling.
When in doubt, one B pump off

tomlee

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:48 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 307):
No, that would alert ATC.

Why they had a few hours before they were next supposed to be contacted (It took two additional hours to realize even after they lost transponder data). Disabling ACARS which is slower and not as important doesn't make any sense. Not to mention isn't it easier to turn off the transponder than ACARS hence more probable to be the first thing to be disabled (9/11 had that happen). The less transponder secondary radar data the better in a deliberate case as it is harder to track a plane without it.

audioace87

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 307):

And at the point of handoff between two international ATCs would be the perfect opportunity to do that.

tyler81190

Quoting kurtjeter (Reply 309):
Also, when mention of crew-initiated hijacking has been mentioned recently, it seems like captain is most people's first, most logical choice. Why is that?
Thanks for whatever further info/opinions you can provide.

I am curious to that as well.. Why not the FO or why not both of them??

TwoSixLeft

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:49 am

Quoting kurtjeter (Reply 309):
A while back (threads 14-15?) there was talk about examining the Captain's flight simulator to see if any "suspicious routes or activities" had been logged or practiced. Anything new about that?

As far as we know, there hasn't been any police search of the captain's home. I believe the Malaysian authorities made a statement to that effect at some point in the past day or so.
NX37602. "Well, the airplane seems to be fairly successful."

flyenthu

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:50 am

Tomlee in #304 makes a great point IMO:

"In my view the fact that the transponder shut off later is strongly against an hijacking theory as it would make far more sense to disable that first."

Why not shut down the most obvious locator instrument like transponder first if deliberate?

btfarrwm

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:50 am

CNN just interviewed a US Navy Captain who said a P8 Poseidon was en route to KUL to participate in the search over the indian ocean

StuckInCA

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:51 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 270):
These employees were more likely production management types rather than design engineers.

Maybe. Maybe not. I highly doubt that the presence of these people had anything to do with the disappearance of the plane, but I wouldn't necessarily agree with whay you say (though it may be the case).

For anyone who isn't aware, Freescale used to be part of Motorola.

tomlee

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:53 am

Quoting audioace87 (Reply 312):
And at the point of handoff between two international ATCs would be the perfect opportunity to do that.

It would be the perfect time to turn off the transponder which isn't the first thing disabled. The backwards order doesn't make sense to me if it was deliberate. If the planned it that point would it not be ideal to shut the transponder off but instead the turnning off ACARS but not satcom and wait ten minutes before turning off the transponder? What is the difference in steps in turning off the transponder vs. turning of ACARS (I know it is just a knob for the transponder but what about ACARS, the ease of each operation plays an important role if your talking about suicidal/terrorist/hijackers)

LTC8K6

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:53 am

If you are hijacking the plane as a mass killing terrorist act, why isn't the Gulf of Thailand a good enough spot to crash it?

On the other hand, why not crash it into a target on land right now and make a really big incident?

Why crash it in the ocean far away from anywhere? Did you botch the plan and crash when you weren't supposed to?

Why fly it a long distance?

To be used on another target later?

Delivering to some other group who will use it later?

Hold it for ransom?

Wolger

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:55 am

Quoting sipadan (Reply 291):

Hello guys,

I am new here. I've been lurking for some time and followed the thread's discussion obsessively since Day 1.

Point no1:Just to set things straight when posters repeatedly brought up the home simulator issue and speculated the pilot could have used it to practice on something malicious, then only I'd decided to chip in to spice up the discussions. This could be far from truth as the pilot like me who is an avid flight simmer, the setup is pretty common for serious simmers. They could be overly obsessed on right down to the smallest details which set apart normal flight-based games from flight simulators.

http://www.x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20&start=110#p3972
This is the thread I believe where the photo of his setup is taken from.

Why got a flightstick/joystick (specifically Saitek Cyberg Evo, commercial planes use yoke) if he want to use his simulator to do something malicious. And he posted way back in 2012, and I don't think people would take such a long time to "practice". There are other photos taken from his FB account like plane models, RC crafts showing he could be passionate about his job and aviation in general.

Point no2: Pilot suicide - both pilot and co-pilot are ethnic Malay-Malaysians who are Muslims. Suicide is frowned upon, you could go to hell for this they believe. I don't think there's suicide case I've heard of happening in Malaysia involving ethnic Malays. Only ethnic-Chinese Malaysians would commit suicide out of depressions or for other reasons. Muslims who commit suicide killing others - will try to state a point, die martyr or will let the whole world know why they do this. If theory involves pilots - they could have gone crazy or amuk - this is more believable.

[Edited 2014-03-13 20:56:37]

Enobar

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:56 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 185):
What if this was a hijacking and the plane got shot down?

That is my theory for what its worth. The plane was either suffering mechanical issues, or a hijack scenario. Its ventured off course in China, the military has shot it down. Then, fearful of international condemnation for shooting down a potentially innocent passenger jet, they have taken advantage of the SAR being focussed in the completely wrong area to clean up a genuine crash site. It could have even come down in remote China where there is little chance of it being found.''

Crazy theory? Maybe... but on day 6 we are well into crazy territory.

jcxroberts

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:00 am

This guy is hearing it flew 3,650 miles. (https://twitter.com/flyingwithfish) Possible ?

tomlee

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:01 am

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 315):
Why not shut down the most obvious locator instrument like transponder first if deliberate?

Plus historically in terrorist/hijacking situations isn't the transponder the first thing to go. It would be pretty strange conversation to have with a hijacker saying shut off the RR engine data report right now but not the satcom modem. And then wait ten minutes and demand the locator be shut off. (That is what the news stories made me think)

In terms of history, ease of access, and tactical significance the transponder should have been first not some non-critical subsystem which only is really useful after the fact as it took days to get this info in the first place. By that point the plane would have crashed or hit its target long ago.

LTC8K6

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 315):

Why alert the authorities as your first act?

Also, turning off the transponder at handoff near IGARI introduces a bit of confusion as to who is responsible for finding you. It is right on the border of different ATC and search responsibility zones.

I would say that turning off the transponder at IGARI is the one thing so far that makes me think "hijack". It's a very convenient place to disappear.

[Edited 2014-03-13 21:03:08]

flyenthu

Also, if hijacking, why wasn't the hijack code transmitted? My speculation, if indeed deliberate, is that someone with a solid background in aviation would have to pull something like this off. This appears like sophisticated work.

tomlee

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:02 am

Quoting Enobar (Reply 322):
That is my theory for what its worth. The plane was either suffering mechanical issues, or a hijack scenario. Its ventured off course in China, the military has shot it down. Then, fearful of international condemnation for shooting down a potentially innocent passenger jet, they have taken advantage of the SAR being focussed in the completely wrong area to clean up a genuine crash site. It could have even come down in remote China where there is little chance of it being found.''

Crazy theory? Maybe... but on day 6 we are well into crazy territory.

Well to de-crazy this thread one has to not make crazy theories in the first place. Technically speaking not doing SAR work the ocean will do the cleanup for you. In all likely hood it is possible that nature already cleaned up the easy to find stuff (fuel, small debris, biological materials).

Wolger

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:02 am

Another point - is why Somalia, to the far west of peninsular Malaysia.
Just another wild wild speculation by me. Remember there are few Somali pirates currently in Malaysian jails, who were captured by Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN Spec-ops PASKAL) few years ago. Pirates are dirt rich, they could hire pros or some crew members to hijack the plane and ultimately to demand the release of currently jailed pirates. Jailed pirates could be someone important or related to pirate bosses.

drew777

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 am

Quoting jcxroberts (Reply 323):
This guy is hearing it flew 3,650 miles. (https://twitter.com/flyingwithfish) Possible ?

I quit following his posts after he stated that the plane landed safely and kidnapping the 20 people working for Freescale was the goal.

bajamatic

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:04 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 270):

I think they were making much more than smartphones.

"While four passengers who boarded a missing Malaysian jet are under special investigation for stolen and other passport-related issues, twenty passengers were involved in cutting edge electronic technology used for defense purposes, including electronic warfare, such as weapons that can "cloak" or make planes invisible, appearing to vanish."

I guess it works.

jcxroberts

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:05 am

If you read up on the pilot it's doubtful he is a religious fanatic. He went to a Western-oriented prep school Panang Free. The candidates he likes on Twitter are centrist anti-corruption types.

LTC8K6

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:05 am

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 326):
Also, if hijacking, why wasn't the hijack code transmitted?

I think the possible reasons for that are very obvious...

bajamatic

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:06 am

Quoting drew777 (Reply 329):

I was suspect of that guy, too. But take a look - he's been spot on, and about 30 minutes ahead of the curve. He and Jon Ostrower - they're clearly sharing intel.

LTC8K6

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:07 am

Also, if hijacking, why wasn't the hijack code transmitted? My speculation, if indeed deliberate, is that someone with a solid background in aviation would have to pull something like this off. This appears like sophisticated work.

Perhaps the co-pilot returned to his habit of letting passengers fool around in the cockpit...

sipadan

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:09 am

Quoting Wolger (Reply 321):
oint no2: Pilot suicide - both pilot and co-pilot are ethnic Malay-Malaysians who are Muslims. Suicide is frowned upon, you could go to hell for this they believe. I don't think there's suicide case I've heard of happening in Malaysia involving ethnic Malays. Only ethnic-Chinese Malaysians would commit suicide out of depressions or for other reasons. Muslims who commit suicide killing others - will try to state a point, die martyr or will let the whole world know why they do this. If theory involves pilots - they could have gone crazy or amuk - th

pilot is an athesist..Richard Dawkins fan etc...for all to see on his you tube page

tomlee

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:12 am

If there is one thing I learned it is that we are only really protected from terrorism because truly smart/sophisticated people don't do that kind of stuff.

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 334):
Perhaps the co-pilot returned to his habit of letting passengers fool around in the cockpit...

Transponder would still be the first thing to go.

coolian2

Just had an RNZAF P-3 fly low over my house in Auckland. Boy they sure did expand that search zone.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

socalgeo

Quoting jcxroberts (Reply 323):

Live Map:http://sandbox.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=95cbede59b3e471eb14b52c362966934

I honestly don't think so, but who knows... The large red circle is a 3650 mile radius on the last point of contact... Did he say what airfield they used?

SoCalGeo

flyenthu

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:13 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 332):

I know there are many reasons for not sqwaking the hijack codes. But, wouldn't pax be aware of hijacking and attempted to contact with cell phones, hand set phone, sat phone, text etc.? Could a hijack be carried out so quietly not to arouse suspicion in anyone? Cabin crew wouldn't be alarmed?

[Edited 2014-03-13 21:16:36]

ANydam

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:13 am

Quoting tim73 (Reply 300):
Bodies stay underwater at salty warm waters at sea for about 4-10 days before starting to float due to gasses produced inside the body. The warmer water temperature, the more faster the process. So this could help a bit in searching.

Interesting, first time I've heard this. Maybe something new (human bodies) will come to light in the near future.

7BOEING7

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:15 am

The news media are as usual clueless. ACARS made its last report at 1:07 and wasn't due to report again until landing (?) it wasn't turned off!!!

If it crashed on land the ELT would go off -- if it ditched satisfactorily the ELTs in the slide/rafts would be manually activated.

The only thing we know for sure is the transponder signal disappeared at 1:21 and the airplane never made it to Beijing.

If the airplane kept flying the CVR will be of possibly no value as it writes over itself every 2 hours (?). We'll miss all the action.

VHF & HF circuit breakers are in the cockpit and if they were pulled the ACARS would transmit over SATCOM when required.

sipadan

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:16 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 325):
I would say that turning off the transponder at IGARI is the one thing so far that makes me think "hijack". It's a very convenient place to disappear.

yes...I really don't understand the opposing logic...and, these aren't "hijackers". This is a seasoned pilot who knows every in and out of plane, aviation etc...there was a method to the madness, even if it doesn't necessarily seem to "make sense" to some of the people on this forum. This "mystery" is right there in front of everyone, but for reasons that I'm apparently oblivious to, people don't want to see it for what is. oh well.

imagoagnitio

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:17 am

Quoting bajamatic (Reply 330):
Freescale

make sense,

Freescale call a press conference at KUL on Sunday morning, Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman for the young ones out there) is the new Freescale Spokesperson.

Who announces that Freescale have been upgrading her old technology and are looking to sell it to the highest bidder..simple

D L X

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:18 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 317):
Freescale used to be part of Motorola.

They were the part of Motorola that made microchips, like the PowerPC chip that powered Macintoshes.

Quoting bajamatic (Reply 330):
"While four passengers who boarded a missing Malaysian jet are under special investigation for stolen and other passport-related issues, twenty passengers were involved in cutting edge electronic technology used for defense purposes, including electronic warfare, such as weapons that can "cloak" or make planes invisible, appearing to vanish."

Where did this quote come from?

Planeflyer

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:21 am

As they say 1st time long time.

Love the site. So informative!

Given the latest info regards how long the plane was apparently airborne it seems a hijacking incident is now a bit more likely.

But if it is who would benefit?

Any government? No way!

Any group? Who needs hostages? Who has lots of members, high level ones at that in various prisons around the world?

Where would they land and hide? Well the one group that fits the description above has quite a few followers in southern Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and even Northern Malaysia.

The above is probably not very likely but I’ll bet dimes to $’s that Al Qaeda has thought of this and is looking for weak spots. And Malaysia might be the perfect weak spot. As Muslim countries go Malaysia after all is relatively open and as someone earlier stated the co-pilot could have been a possible recruit. He’s certainly the right age.

And it would take at least a few weeks to disperse the hostages into secure locations so this could explain the lack of any claim.

Yep, I know unbelievable but any less so than 9/11?

tomlee

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:21 am

Quoting sipadan (Reply 342):
yes...I really don't understand the opposing logic...and, these aren't "hijackers". This is a seasoned pilot who knows every in and out of plane, aviation etc...there was a method to the madness, even if it doesn't necessarily seem to "make sense" to some of the people on this forum. This "mystery" is right there in front of everyone, but for reasons that I'm apparently oblivious to, people don't want to see it for what is. oh well.

It does make sense to turn it off there what doesn't make sense is why turn of ACARS first as some news stories are claiming. It is easier and logical to turn off the transponder first at that prime moment and then shut off the rest of the comms.

It doesn't matter how experienced or knowledgeable the deliberate person was the transponder would have been the first thing to go. Except it was the last thing to go. I'm not saying hijacking is impossible it just seems very unusual and unlikely that a hijacking even by crew would turn the transponder off last at just such a position where no one would notice.

stuyyz

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:24 am

Quoting suseJ772 (Reply 118):
locked the other one out

How does the 777 cockpit door actually lock? If it is a combination, how can you lock the pilot out if he knows the combo? Who sets the combo? If its a key, can't the pilot have a copy of the key when he goes to the washroom?

Quoting hivue (Reply 180):
For the record, I think this airplane is sitting on the bottom of the Gulf of Thailand not far from where it disappeared.

This is my conclusion too. To my knowledge the SAR has been searching the surface, but have they been looking on the ocean floor yet. I agree there will debris, but maybe its drifted somewhere different than expected.

LTC8K6

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:26 am

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 339):

I know there are many reasons for not sqwaking the hijack codes. But, wouldn't pax be aware of hijacking and attempted to contact with cell phones, hand set phone, sat phone, text etc.? Could a hijack be carried out so quietly not to arouse suspicion in anyone? Cabin crew wouldn't be alarmed?

Cell phones aren't likely to work.

If the hijackers knew to turn things off, then they knew to turn the seat phones off and even the moving map display.

It's a bad thought, but maybe the hijacker(s) went on oxygen, disabled the passenger oxygen, and depressurized the cabin? The re-pressurized and flew on?

bajamatic

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:26 am

Quoting tomlee (Reply 347):
hy turn of ACARS first as some news stories are claiming

I was led to believe from this forum that ACARS isn't always transmitting, that it would have completed a transmission after reaching cruising alt., and not again for 30 minutes. So isn't it entirely possible that ACARS was in fact turned off later, and not before the transponder?

undertheradar

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:28 am

Quoting sipadan (Reply 342):

totally agree... admittedly I stupidly referred to the 'pilot' a s a 'highjacker' ...but only in the context as the pilot 'highjacked' the aircraft to use as his tool to commit 'personal' suicide and bringing all the pax/crew with him!! ..REGARDLESS of his religious/political beliefs

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos