2008matt
Topic Author

Etihad Regional Pulls Out Of Cambridge

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:56 am

Reports suggest that Eithad Regional (Darwin Airline) are stopping all flights out of Cambridge by the end of the month. They began flights out of Cambridge last September to Milan, Amsterdam, Paris and Geneva, but have received poor yields on all services. However, they do claim they, and other airlines, are optimistic about the future of Cambridge Airport, and will beginning flights to Verona in May.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News...mbridge-Airport-20140312060000.htm

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/uae-s...pull-out-of-uk-airport-542325.html
Every Achievement Starts with a Decision to Try :)

TC957

RE: Etihad Regional Pulls Out Of Cambridge

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:26 am

That's unfortunate for the Cambridge business community. But I guess like any regional routes it's a use-it-or-loose-it format so you can't blame Darwin for at least trying. I suppose STN down the M11 was a factor too.
I wonder if Darwin might look to Southampton instead for some of these routes, as they are not all done by Flybe.

2008matt
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:53 pm

I just don't think Cambridge has the demand for business travel at that level as yet. Mostly people from Arabian countries flying in to visit Newmarket etc.

rutankrd

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Quoting 2008matt (Reply 2):

I just don't think Cambridge has the demand for business travel at that level as yet. Mostly people from Arabian countries flying in to visit Newmarket etc.

Couldn't be more wrong.

Cambridge and its environs have some of the countries prime export industries in Tech, Pharmaceuticals and Research.

Plenty high demand for global travel - Just they all get in their German Cars and drive straight past Stansted towards Slough and Hounslow regional - Many headed West !

TC957

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:53 pm

I think CBG would have more success with trying to get KL to run an AMS service for the worldwide connections.
Or possibly even AF, and leave the AMS connection to NWI so people in that area have a choice of connecting hubs.

rutankrd

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Quoting TC957 (Reply 4):
I think CBG would have more success with trying to get KL to run an AMS service for the worldwide connections.
Or possibly even AF, and leave the AMS connection to NWI so people in that area have a choice of connecting hubs.

That is exactly what Darwin (Etihad Regional) had in mind using the close ties they have forged with AF/KL - It failed miserably to get this over to the potential customers.

Again knowing many in the area personally and as business contacts - they just don't think beyond Slough and Hounslow Regional for their travel and awards (Bribes)

TC957

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Sounds like Darwin's marketing and promotion of the CBG routes were pants then. They should invited a few TMC managers and top local TA's for a ride on the Saab to demonstrate it first hand.
Nothing like experiencing a product if you want to sell it  

2008matt
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 3):

Please bare in mind I stated 'as yet'. I think in future as Cambridge and the surrounding area continues to grow, then it will start to have that sort of status.

rutankrd

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Quoting 2008matt (Reply 7):
Please bare in mind I stated 'as yet'. I think in future as Cambridge and the surrounding area continues to grow, then it will start to have that sort of status.

Again already got it - Its one of the UKs leading economically wealthy areas.

The fact is Marshalls couldn't really care about Joe Public travel desires.

The airfield operations are rarified to say the least with security only equaled at a few military installations.

Moreover its not really needed anyway with the northern London airports within easy driving distance.

Imho there are already too many regional airports chasing limited traffic across the UK.

gabrielchew

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Shame the flights are being dropped. I checked the prices a few times, but they were clearly only looking for business travellers, as the fares were really quite high.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos