ASA
Topic Author

RE: BOS: Growth As International Gateway And B6 Hub

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 48):
However - I'm not sure if the Shanghai business traffic that originates in Greater Boston will take this flight. I have anecdotal evidence (my colleagues) that are hesitant to 1) take a Chinese carrier and 2) connect in PEK. Their preferred connecting airport in DTW.

very interesting ... this is new information. But given the high volume to Chinese visitors in the region, there must be enough flow from/to Beijing as well. Maybe someone else could start a PVG flight?  
Quoting STT757 (Reply 49):
B6 and AA are prohibited from serving NYC-MEX, this is due to the US/Mexico agreement limiting each route to only two us carriers. UA and DL are the only US carriers allowed to operated NYC-MEX, DL got their JFK-MEX rights from Pan Am. UA got theirs from CO who got theirs from Eastern, CO and Eastern were both part of Texas Air and the parent company transfered the EA JFK-MEX route to CO to allow them to operate EWR-MEX.

Thanks for the info again. So this effectively rules out B6 from MEX for a long time (unless the bilateral is amended). AM is the only hope ... maybe they have a 788 lying around for 7-8 hours?  

[Edited 2014-03-16 09:30:28]

adamh8297

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 50):
So this effectively rules out B6 from MEX for a long time (unless the bilateral is amended).

Not for BOS (though unlikely) or MCO - they could apply for the rights and get it even if AA/US or DL has it. AM probably still has rights for BOS and currently serves MCO.

I'm not sure if B6 could start FLL either - DOT considers it part of overall Miami market. AA and AM serve MIA and NK serves Toluca.

Quoting ASA (Reply 50):
but given the high volume to Chinese visitors in the region, there must be enough flow from/to Beijing as well. Maybe someone else could start a PVG flight?  

I'm sure due to massive population and a yearning for seeing other parts of the USA, that there will be enough. I also see the average person using the flight to check off the Great Wall for his/her bucket list.

PVG - someone's bound to do it eventually.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

BOStonsox

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:36 am

I'm so glad to see so much going on at BOS. B6 may be a ways from going intercontinental, but it's attracting carriers who otherwise wouldn't think as much of us.

Quoting N757ST (Reply 41):
It can definitely do western europe, hence why Aer Lingus bought theirs. A mint A321NEO might be a perfect BOS- Secondary Western Europe airport bird.

It could be, but I read the reason they haven't gone TATL yet is because airfares are too low to stimulate right now. I could see a JV between B6 and EI to Ireland, as well as some routes like BOS-GLA, BOS-BRU, and BOS-MAN. It might be a pipe dream, but maybe they could do what Flyglobespan did with JFK-NOC-LPL and BOS-NOC-GLA?
2013 World Series Champions!

KD5MDK

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:29 am

Mint seems like a very premium product to fly to secondary European cities. As a compelling alternative on BOS-LON or BOS-CDG? Maybe. Perhaps BOS-MAN?

IndianicWorld

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:58 am

I find it amazing that so much attention suddenly gets placed on certain markets, after a relatively quiet period.

To now see the amount of capacity going in there is great to see.

chrisnh

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:02 am

The catalysts that are drawing out these new international carriers were always in Boston: the universities, the financial companies, medicine and hospitals. These 'demographics' set Boston apart from other U.S. cities, and they've been in place forever.

Three things, in my view, made this renaissance happen within the past two years:
1.) Apathy by our own domestic 'major' carriers
2.) Feed provided by JetBlue
3.) Planes that can fly here and back profitably

I would say #3 is most important, followed by 1 and 2.

The A350 will only help, as it enters the fleet mix of carriers that are here now and those who might eventually be.

Revelation

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 52):
It could be, but I read the reason they haven't gone TATL yet is because airfares are too low to stimulate right now.

Interesting statement. As above I have been watching prices BOS-CDG and they don't seem low to me, so I'm wondering if you have some corroboration on your statement.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

alphaomega

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 56):

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 52):
It could be, but I read the reason they haven't gone TATL yet is because airfares are too low to stimulate right now.

Interesting statement. As above I have been watching prices BOS-CDG and they don't seem low to me, so I'm wondering if you have some corroboration on your statement.

BOS is successful thanks to the premium market, not the low-cost leisure traveler. Even B6's fares are not cheap, same goes for SW, but they're PROFITABLE routes.

Revelation

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Quoting alphaomega (Reply 57):
BOS is successful thanks to the premium market, not the low-cost leisure traveler.

Ok, then I guess I don't understand what "airfares are too low to stimulate" means...

cloudboy

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:46 pm

How important is Freight to BOS? Could they move the freight traffic to BED and use that area as additional room for a wide-body terminal?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

AviationAddict

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 59):
Could they move the freight traffic to BED and use that area as additional room for a wide-body terminal?

The runways at BED are probably too short to handle full scale cargo operations. Beyond that, if Massport was to propose this I suspect they'd ultimately have to move both FX and 5X as I doubt one airline would willingly move to BED while their direct competitor would remain at BOS.

Relocating the 5X ramp would give Massport options with a Terminal E extension though. I don't see a new terminal at the FX ramp ever happening though. It would have to be a satellite terminal which would make connections difficult.

Revelation

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 59):
How important is Freight to BOS? Could they move the freight traffic to BED and use that area as additional room for a wide-body terminal?

I think KPSM is trying to attract freight but obviously too far from Boston to provide much relief for stuff needing to be in Boston or points south. However one can't complain about the runway being too short!  

KBED is probably would have too many NIMBY issues with it becoming a big freight hub.

rosskin92

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Quoting vs11 (Reply 11):
Indeed, things are looking good for Boston and the area in general. The local economy is doing pretty well, and most importantly Boston is fixing one of its long-standing issues - costly housing. The last couple of years have seen many new projects (granted, high-end, but still) and more and more young people and families are moving into the city. So you do have the market for growth and as airbazar says the local authorities are very pro-growth oriented and cooperative with businesses. Also, Boston just got a new mayor who is moving on keeping bars open later so that would also help with Boston shaking the perception of being on the sleepy side.

This is only half of the issue. The other half is below.

Quoting chrisnh (Reply 14):
The only problem I can see is that the BOS infrastructure (land-side, air-side) may be outpaced by the demand to fly here. Like someone said, Emirates may want to use a 773ER NOW, but the gate they have can't accept it without taking out neighboring gates. Stuff like that.

This is a major issue with BOS. There is very little room for expansion, and they cannot take out gates to accomidate bigger airplanes. That would cause issues with slots and gate avaliability, which I heard is strained during the peak times of the day.

If MASSPORT put out expansion plans (even if they were contained in the present airport boundaries), East Boston would have a huge cow.

In the 80's, when they were planning the Big Dig, MASSDOT and MASSPORT had a plan to take out a 50 ft section of a park and ride for a new ramp to (or from) the Ted Williams. The business owner flipped, mobilized the residents under the guise of "airport expansion", and caused a huge planning and political headache for years.

What MASSPORT needs to do is to figure out how to retrofit the existing infrastructure. They are already doing this, but I wonder if Terminal A could take customs? That would remove the DL flights from E, freeing up gates and slots.

However, I (and we) don't have the concrete data about the usage and physical restraints. This is just what I think after studying things about the airport and the city.

Quoting ASA (Reply 47):
When will HU have enough 788 to launch daily service on this route?

Im not sure about BOS, but I am noticing HU is using their new 788 service to undercut flights to Asia, they were 400-500 dollars cheaper routinely for ORD-BKK r/t. Not sure if this is a coincidence or not. When EK comes here... who knows what will happen.

Quoting chrisnh (Reply 55):
The catalysts that are drawing out these new international carriers were always in Boston: the universities, the financial companies, medicine and hospitals. These 'demographics' set Boston apart from other U.S. cities, and they've been in place forever.

Eds and meds. Boston is becoming very wealthy and gentrified in an extremely fast rate. These are the people with the money to travel.... thus the growth.

Shocked me coming back after 9-10 years of being in Chicago to the city, and seeing how gentrified and modernized it is becoming. Its cool but disturbing at the same time. But that is where the money is so....

airbazar

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:07 pm

There's one thing that has changed that I consider significant and that is the shift in global economic forces. 10-15 years ago China, India, and the UAE were only emerging economies. Today they are full blown players.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 56):

You're looking at ticket price vs. air fare. Ticket prices are expensive because of all the taxes, fees, and surcharges added on. The air fare, is relatively cheap.

tlecam

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Three things, in my view, made this renaissance happen within the past two years:
1.) Apathy by our own domestic 'major' carriers
2.) Feed provided by JetBlue
3.) Planes that can fly here and back profitably

I would say #3 is most important, followed by 1 and

I agree. Number 3 is also one reason why the US carriers haven't tried to fight the international battle much. DL makes LHR, AMS and CDG (Seasonally) work with 763/764 and 333/332's. LHR is currently a 763 (I was on Flight 186 last night in fact!) and last summer they upgauged to a 764 during the summer season. AMS is currently an A333 and when the second summer flight is added, it's usually an 332. CDG will be a 763 - wide body for the first time this summer.

Side note about gate space - I boarded the 763 at A19 last night. Previously, I had boarded down at A14/15/16. I didn't check to see if they had blocked off A18.

Another interesting anecdote - A colleague of mine and I both flew to London last night. He flew from CHicago, I from Boston. We booked the same day. He flew BA (on an AA codeshare ticket), and his J class ticket was about 4000; I flew DL and mine was 5000. When I booked 3 weeks ago, more than half the cabin was already full. There were 3 empty seats in J; I'm sure that some were upgrades.

I realize that one example isn't a pattern, but it seems like DL is able to command decent J-class fares on the route.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

adamh8297

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 63):
You're looking at ticket price vs. air fare. Ticket prices are expensive because of all the taxes, fees, and surcharges added on. The air fare, is relatively cheap.

The surcharge is supposedly "fuel related". I consider that part of the airfare since its going to the airline and part of their balance sheet.

Take 4/5-4/15 BOS-CDG round trip on AF with same price on DL/KL/AZ codes due to JV.

Total $1203.90

Air Fare: $554
YR Fuel Surcharge: $516.00
Government Fees (both France and US) = $133.90

$1070 is really the roundtrip fare.

The lowest fare that day is EI BOS-DUB-CDG-DUB-BOS=

Total=1105.37

Air Fare: $867.62
YQ Fuel Surcharge: 67.27
Fees: 170.48 (higher since you are going through Ireland)

934.38 is really the roundtrip fare.

The total airfares are in the 1400's for nonstop BOS-CDG this summer. Its higher for sure but I'm not sure if that is something B6 wants to become entangled in.

Quoting rosskin92 (Reply 62):
Im not sure about BOS, but I am noticing HU is using their new 788 service to undercut flights to Asia, they were 400-500 dollars cheaper routinely for ORD-BKK r/t. Not sure if this is a coincidence or not. When EK comes here... who knows what will happen.

I don't see any of the undercutting that TK has been doing in BOS. HU can be slightly cheaper or slightly more expensive for the non-stops (BOS-PEK) and BOS-PEK-SHA/BKK versus DL/UA and others.

Their business fares are typically cheaper for the route.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

airbazar

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 65):
The surcharge is supposedly "fuel related". I consider that part of the airfare since its going to the airline and part of their balance sheet.

Right, and I agree and that's why I think fuel surcharges should be illegal. But that's a topic for an entirely different discussion. In reality, a fuel surcharge is not part of the fare, hence why it's called a surcharge. When people say air fares are cheaper today than they were 10 years ago, that's BS, because 10 years ago the price of fuel was included in the air fare. Today that's not the case.

chrisnh

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Here's an interesting view of the route Emirates 237 is taking today. Notice how far north of Iceland he went.
Emirates 237-Dubai-Boston on March 17

BOStonsox

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:39 pm

2013 World Series Champions!

airbazar

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 67):
Here's an interesting view of the route Emirates 237 is taking today. Notice how far north of Iceland he went.

As you may have noticed yesterday, the winds was pretty strong. They may have gone that far north to avoid that weather system across the Atlantic.

tlecam

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:09 am

Article from the Boston Business journal on Hainan. Ticket sales seem to be good but. It spectacular. Hainan is going to daily service in August, primarily catering to students and their families.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...lying-to-boston-from.html?page=all
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

ASA
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 pm

That's great to hear - I'm very hopeful that this flight will not take very long to go daily year-round.

A friend of mine just returned from BOG via PTY on Copa. He says while the service isn't great (he compares to domestic legacy airlines) - the plane was quite full. On the other hand, he says Avianca Colombia was great (similar to Jetblue in terms of TV and snacks etc as he compared!) for flying within Colombia.

Another friend flies BOS-DXB-KUL tonight ... can't wait to fly EK from BOS myself! All of these flights had to go through a hub just a year ago ... this is great times for BOS 

airbazar

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 71):
Another friend flies BOS-DXB-KUL tonight ... can't wait to fly EK from BOS myself! All of these flights had to go through a hub just a year ago ... this is great times for BOS

Until now it was really difficult to fly to SE Asia by flying East. The cozy relationship that the U.S. airlines had with their European JV counterparts prevented that. LH wouldn't dare selling a BOS-FRA-Asia ticket so they wouldn't upset UA. Likewise for AF/DL, or previously KL/NW. All East Coast-Asia traffic flowed over the Pacific even though going thru Europe was a lot shorter and required 1 less stop. But that nonesense ends now. I love it. No more connections in SFO/LAX/ORD. EK (and TK) will be crying all the way to the bank  

adamh8297

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 72):
LH wouldn't dare selling a BOS-FRA-Asia ticket so they wouldn't upset UA

SQ has been doing it for years with VS codeshare. I flew BOS-LHR-SIN-MDC on UA miles to boot.

airbazar

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 73):
SQ has been doing it for years with VS codeshare. I flew BOS-LHR-SIN-MDC on UA miles to boot.

So have I. Have done BOS-JFK-FRA-SIN a couple of times but you and I are the minority. You have to go out of your way to find those flights and they are typically more expensive than via the Pacific. The bottom line is if you go on Orbitz or any other booking site and enter BOS-SIN none of the cheaper options will be via Europe.

stratacruiser

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 72):
Until now it was really difficult to fly to SE Asia by flying East. The cozy relationship that the U.S. airlines had with their European JV counterparts prevented that. LH wouldn't dare selling a BOS-FRA-Asia ticket so they wouldn't upset UA. Likewise for AF/DL, or previously KL/NW. All East Coast-Asia traffic flowed over the Pacific even though going thru Europe was a lot shorter and required 1 less stop.

I haven't found that to be the case, at least with Southeast Asia. Have used both LH and BA to reach BKK and SIN through Europe at fares competitive with trans-Pacific.

tlecam

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm going to have to book a trip to New Delhi from Boston for travel in the next 4-6 weeks (or however long it takes for my firm to process the visa). Needless to say, I'm going to try to arrange it to travel BOS-DXB-DEL.

chrisnh

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:15 pm

I don't know if one has to do with the other, but Hainan reduced Chicago service at about the same time they upped Boston. In other words, Chicago's plane went to Boston. It stands to reason, as there are multiple options for Chicago folks but only Hainan for Boston. It will be interesting to see who else comes to Boston after Hainan does.

On another matter, Emirates has ten 777-200LRs and all but one have been through Boston except for lone holdout A6-EWC. The fleet comprises frames A6-EWA through -AWJ. As a matter of fact, A6-EWC has been a shy little bugger with respect to the U.S. Its last appearance on these shores was a March 9 circuit through Dallas. Since then, nada.

airbazar

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:24 pm

Quoting stratacruiser (Reply 75):
I haven't found that to be the case, at least with Southeast Asia. Have used both LH and BA to reach BKK and SIN through Europe at fares competitive with trans-Pacific.

Maybe they are reacting but I just did a search for a trip to SIN next month and the only Euro itineray was SQ at #9 on the list. Funny enought it's a BA codeshare instead of LH   Again, I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm just saying airlines appear to make very few seats available on those routes via Europe.

ASA
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 78):
Maybe they are reacting but I just did a search for a trip to SIN next month and the only Euro itineray was SQ at #9 on the list. Funny enought it's a BA codeshare instead of LH   Again, I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm just saying airlines appear to make very few seats available on those routes via Europe.

last summer, I was travelling to BKK ... and I could not find a competitive fare via Europe. Eventually I merged it with another trip to Spain ... and flew BOS-MAD-DXB-BKK ... on Iberia and Emirates separate tickets. But if I look at the same route now in the summer ... EK and TK are leading, and BA, LX, LH are also offering some decent options!

adamh8297

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 77):

I don't know if one has to do with the other, but Hainan reduced Chicago service at about the same time they upped Boston. In other words, Chicago's plane went to Boston. It stands to reason, as there are multiple options for Chicago folks but only Hainan for Boston. It will be interesting to see who else comes to Boston after Hainan does.

Checked the loads on aviationdb.net for ORD's first month and they were in the 90%'s though it was only 2x weekly at the time.

ASA
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Efforts to bring MEX into the fold continues ...

Gov. Patrick meets with two airlines to bring direct flights to Boston from Mexico City
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...ts-with-two-airlines-to-bring.html

tlecam

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 pm

AeroMexico would be a nice feather in SkyTeam's cap in Boston. Could provide some pretty nice connecting possibilities through MEX.

ScottB

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:43 pm

There's an article in the Glob today about UA's new facilities at BOS:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/.../tAcVdUSy8cANNgtcX9dM8I/story.html

Some highlights:

* UA moves in on April 30.
* UA will have 10 gates in Terminal B.
* B6 will take the UA gates in Terminal C (no surprise) while the Terminal A gates are under evaluation.
* The terminal will offer self-service ticketing/baggage-tagging machines and self-service boarding.
* The word "tarmac" makes its inevitable appearance.

I still think that Massport "encourages" WN to move to A to make room for B6 to expand into the E1 gates.

adamh8297

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 83):
There's an article in the Glob today about UA's new facilities at BOS:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/.../tAcVdUSy8cANNgtcX9dM8I/story.html

Some highlights:

* UA moves in on April 30.
* UA will have 10 gates in Terminal B.
* B6 will take the UA gates in Terminal C (no surprise) while the Terminal A gates are under evaluation.
* The terminal will offer self-service ticketing/baggage-tagging machines and self-service boarding.
* The word "tarmac" makes its inevitable appearance.

I still think that Massport "encourages" WN to move to A to make room for B6 to expand into the E1 gates.

Is 5 gates enough for WN?

I wonder if AS will wind up in B.

Quoting ASA (Reply 81):
Gov. Patrick meets with two airlines to bring direct flights to Boston from Mexico City
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...ts-with-two-airlines-to-bring.html

Interjet is interesting but their A320 is 150 passengers which may be too big even for 4 weekly. The SSJ can't make BOS-MEX unfortunately.

chrisnh

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:20 am

Which Mexican carrier tried Boston and failed miserably at it in the 1990s...Mexicana?

adamh8297

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 85):

Which Mexican carrier tried Boston and failed miserably at it in the 1990s...Mexicana?

Aeromexico in mid 2000's

tlecam

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:54 pm

I've been watching the construction from the outside as I taxi on Delta. Looking forward to it being done. Hopefully there's a bit more gate space than the United gates in C. When those 757's to SFO board, you feel like you're in line at Disney World during April school vacation, especially when there are Denver and Chicago flights at the gates next to it.

727LOVER

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Since we are talking about BOS...why did NW throw away their BOS hub/gateway?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

bobnwa

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 86):
Aeromexico in mid 2000's
Aeromexico also flew from BOS in the 70's but that also shut down

airbazar

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 88):

I'm guessing longer range airplanes allowed them to setup a hub in a better place.

And speaking of BOS construction, I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes up next. BOS seems to always be starting a new project. Going back just a few years, we've had: terminal E renovation for WN, followed by terminal C renovations and improvements, followed by consolidated car rental facility, followed by terminal B renovation and improvements, followed by terminal E/C airside connector. It seems they are constantly doing something to make it better. I wonder what comes next.

dvincent

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:08 pm

They better enjoy that view from the United lounge, because the height of the new terminal addition blocks us plebes from using the terminal B garage for spotting.
From the Mind of Minolta

tlecam

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:19 pm

I was looking at the google earth pictures of Terminal B and you can see the construction. At the southern end, you can see where the connector is.

Question for someone who would know (Chris, Adam?) - are the "new" United gates going to be smack in between the US and the AA gates? Or are US/AA consolidating to either Pier A or Pier B? I'm curious how the gate re-shuffle is going to work.

flyby519

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Quoting tlecam (Reply 92):

I'm pretty sure the plan is for UA to be right in the middle of US and AA, which makes zero sense. I don't know what the longer term AA/US plans are for gate consolidation, but I would assume the current US space would be the preferred spot.

ASA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 90):
And speaking of BOS construction, I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes up next. BOS seems to always be starting a new project. Going back just a few years, we've had: terminal E renovation for WN, followed by terminal C renovations and improvements, followed by consolidated car rental facility, followed by terminal B renovation and improvements, followed by terminal E/C airside connector. It seems they are constantly doing something to make it better. I wonder what comes next.

you are right - but unfortunately, sometimes it feels like we always some sort of construction going on - or that those never finishes! just like the many other projects around the Big Dig ... different projects, but still feels like the never ending construction!   

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 93):
I'm pretty sure the plan is for UA to be right in the middle of US and AA, which makes zero sense. I don't know what the longer term AA/US plans are for gate consolidation, but I would assume the current US space would be the preferred spot.

Well, that sounds just like Massachusetts to me ...   

Seriously, how does that make any sense. They are going through such a reshuffle - this would have been the time to put US/AA together and be done with it. Makes it efficient for them, for UA, for everyone else ... and hopefully more free gates for newcomers!

VS11

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 88):

From what I understand, there was a huge customs scam going on at NW in BOS, which got busted in the 70s or 80s (don't remember exactly), after which NW scaled back its international operations in Boston.

airbazar

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 pm

It makes sense when you go back in time. AA and US were not one airline. The plan was to put all *A carriers next to eachother (UA, US, and AC) and the terminal extension was built to house UA and according to UA's needs. I have no doubt that down the road AA and US will be under one roof. In fact I've heard that after expected consolidation, all of AA/US will likely fit in all of the current US terminal, thus freeing up the current AA gates. AC will likely move to the other side to be near UA.

ScottB

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:49 pm

There's plenty of room in the current US area for AA and US to consolidate, especially if NK and PenAir were to be moved into the AA gates. US has 18 gates, which really should be plenty for the ~85 consolidated mainline and ~20 regional departures daily; 20 years ago, US had close to 200 departures from a smaller facility.

Quoting ASA (Reply 94):

Seriously, how does that make any sense. They are going through such a reshuffle - this would have been the time to put US/AA together and be done with it. Makes it efficient for them, for UA, for everyone else ... and hopefully more free gates for newcomers!

Maybe yes, maybe no. UA has had a split operation for several years which is undesirable, and delaying their move for AA's benefit doesn't gain them anything. Plus they'd likely need to do some significant remodeling in the AA gate areas.

But if AA moves into the US gates, ultimately neither UA nor AA will operate from the gates used by AA 11 and UA 175 on 9/11/2001 (B32 & C19).

tlecam

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:03 pm

And according to an article in the Globe yesterday, United is investing a fair amount into their new combined facilities in Boston.

cessna53996

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Quoting ASA (Thread starter):
Quoting ScottB (Reply 97):
There's plenty of room in the current US area for AA and US to consolidate, especially if NK and PenAir were to be moved into the AA gates. US has 18 gates, which really should be plenty for the ~85 consolidated mainline and ~20 regional departures daily; 20 years ago, US had close to 200 departures from a smaller facility.

I think gate consolidation is inevitable here. I think that AA/US will combine ops on the current US side.

This gate movement could either bring WN to current UA Terminal A gates or gates B30-36 and revitalize that facility with the help of Massport. NK and Penair moving to the current AA side would make sense, too.

[Edited 2014-03-27 16:16:22]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos