Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Finn350

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 25

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:06 am

Quoting tomlee (Reply 194):

Turning off ACARS first makes sense, as it will take a considerable time and analysis that others discover it. Turning off the trandponder on the other hand will be immediately noticed unless synchronized with the ATC handover.

Can the ACARS turned off from cockpit controls or does it need physicsl access to E/E bay as suggested here? It would be logical that it can be turned off from some flight deck management user interface?

[Edited 2014-03-15 02:08:20]

k83713

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:06 am

Turning off the transponder last is a bit crazy and knowing how to turn off the ACARS but not the Sat modem is even more non-nonsensical. Add on the non-sense data received back and the crazy radar tracks and it all looks a bit confusing.

I would imagine that even in this possible hijack scenario everything happened not based on a step-by-step manual or a novel. Taking into account all going on around: control of the plane, dealing with crew, passengers, communications, general pressure and stress, some things would be done very randomly and out of logical chain which we can tend to see right now, after the actual events took place. We are in much more comfortable position for our logic.

[Edited 2014-03-15 02:08:10]

jeta380

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:07 am

Quoting nm2582 (Reply 191):

Awesome theory. It has substance to it. Thanks.

International security/intelligence organisations will be working on this round the clock as well. I wonder if they have any targets along that route. I think there would be a few.

tomlee

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:08 am

Quoting k83713 (Reply 188):
Kidnapping 230 people from the official flight and landing the plane in any jurisdiction will mean something quite big...

That is a bit of a understatement to say the least. If it did happen it would be a "game changer" and "stuff" would happen. So much "stuff" would happen in response I don't really know what would happen. (It is also very unlikely to be the case without being detected)

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:08 am

Quoting KIAS (Reply 197):
What could possibly be smuggled in a stolen 777 to Iran which Iran could not otherwise acquire on its own? Iran Air is the flag carrier. They have 747Fs. Why wouldn't they just use one of those? Why would they need to steal a plane? The whole idea is preposterous.

Sigh. Preposterous or not, it wasn't my idea. Nonetheless, I'll play. Perhaps "they" know that CIA etc would be all over IranAir flights, particularly to and from Malaysia, and so it would seem too obvious to ship something between the two countries that way? Perhaps "they" were able to make/introduce connections within MH that allowed them to go that route?

Anyhow, I'm now "misrepresenting" and "preposterous". lol I await your next reply.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

rampart

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:09 am

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 186):
They then said that if the plane flew for seven+ hours on one of these tracks, they begin to understand where it is and are now examining more data to refine that.

Based on an assumption of hijacking, the northerly track seems more likely, since the southerly one ends in the ocean.

I agree. But you said, or indicated someone had said, that it was last spotted under Kazakhstan. It was not, as far as I've heard in the media and press conference. It may have the potential to travel that far, but I didn't hear any report that it was spotted or "pinged" in Kazakhstan. But the news is evolving, and if it has, someone can confirm that. Or it could be that the press is mistakenly extrapolating.

-Rampart

slinky09

Quoting KIAS (Reply 197):
What could possibly be smuggled in a stolen 777 to Iran which Iran could not otherwise acquire on its own? Iran Air is the flag carrier. They have 747Fs. Why wouldn't they just use one of those? Why would they need to steal a plane? The whole idea is preposterous.

No idea but, what if there was a shipment of lithium batteries in the hold, are such batteries banned as part of sanctions against Iran, are they needed to run nuclear enrichment activities or indeed used in weapons?

There's an imaginitive thought process ...

jeta380

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 196):
As one of the two head moderators on the X-Plane.org website, I find that joke rather in poor taste and not funny at all.

Understandable that you are offended, but it's still a viable option. Don't you think?

chaseus1

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:10 am

I apologize for the Sim club comment. I'm a fan of Sims myself, and do not think the pilot is involved at all.

I'd remove comment if I could

tomlee

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:12 am

Quoting k83713 (Reply 202):
I would imagine that even in this possible hijack scenario everything happened not based on a step-by-step manual or a novel. Taking into account all going on around: control of the plane, dealing with crew, passengers, communications, general pressure and stress, some things would be done very randomly and out of logical chain which we can tend to see right now, after the actual events took place. We are in much more comfortable position for our logic.

Hijack is possible with the given info but the info still seems too inaccurate/contradictory/confusing to be "conclusive" as a number of news reports have been spouting about. The amount of planning required to carry out such a hijacking would require extensive knowledge of the plane's systems so missing the satcom part would be a huge oversight if they knew about ACARS. (Not to mention the two boxes probably sit near each other in the electronics bay) One logical fail maybe, two logical fails getting a bit less likely.

JimJupiter

Quoting flood (Reply 192):
I bumped into it on twitter and was just about to ask if someone knew the source. Here it is:

Wow. And if we keep in mind that the Malaysian military cannot be 100% sure that their radar readings actually belong to MH370, it still can be in the water south of Vietnam, right?  
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

k83713

Quoting nm2582 (Reply 191):
Take a look at KL836

Sounds technically possible, but what about TCAS system on KL flight? Any indications of other plane flying close? No communications to ATC from KL836 crew regarding that?
There would be some, I assume.

FullFlaps

I don't know if it had been posted yet, as the threads are getting seriously longer every minute, (every time I come back to the computer there are like 30 new answers), wich makes it sometimes hard to follow...

NBC news published a 30 minutes Q&A Video, with Greg Feith (former NTSB, well known through the "Mayday/Air Crash Investigation TV show) which answers a lot of questions, frequently asked in all those threads here. Maybe some mod should also pin a link to that video, each time a summary is beeing made about the previous thread.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mis...et/holt-feith-q-missing-jet-n53191

Dalavia

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 127):
Whoever he is, he's not been far off with he tweets so far, and mentions Esfahan airport in Pakistan ...

No, Esfahan is in Iran.

Please see my earlier posting.

KIAS

Quoting Finn350 (Reply 201):
Can the ACARS turned off from cockpit controls or does it need physicsl access to E/E bay as suggested here?

You'd have to open up the main deck access panel and climb down to the E/E bay. Versus turning a knob to STBY on the stand panel while on the flight deck.
"We fly, but we have not 'conquered' the air. When we presume mastery, we are often startled by our ignorance." - DHW

piliage

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:14 am

Quoting chaseus1 (Reply 209):

I giggled...

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:15 am

Quoting k83713 (Reply 212):
Sounds technically possible, but what about TCAS system on KL flight? Any indications of other plane flying close? No communications to ATC from KL836 crew regarding that? There would be some, I assume.

I believe it was stated in another thread that putting the transponder into STBY disables TCAS, or at least makes that plane not show up on another plane's TCAS system.

Not sure myself, though.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

nm2582

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:15 am

Quoting k83713 (Reply 212):
Sounds technically possible, but what about TCAS system on KL flight? Any indications of other plane flying close? No communications to ATC from KL836 crew regarding that?
There would be some, I assume.

TCAS is an active transponder system. It requires both aircraft to be equipped and functional. If MH370 had TCAS off, then they could quite literally fly 250 ft under and 500ft trailing the KLM in this case without ANY indication to or awareness by the KLM crew. As there is no visibility towards the rear of the aircraft, they would not be seen. Plus, it was a dark night and MH370 could have switched off all exterior lighting.

CaliAtenza

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:17 am

Just saw this on Reddit:

Jonah Fisher ‏@JonahFisher 37m
Being briefed by Malaysia officials they believe most likely location for MH370 is on land somewhere near Chinese/Kyrgyz border.

https://twitter.com/JonahFisher --He's a BBC correspondent for Burma.

BoeingVista

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:19 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 134):
A bungled rescue mission would explain how mobile phones continued to ring. It would explain why China sent Search and Rescue towards the Gulf of Thailand for a week as the evidence was removed. The airplane would presumably be scrapped quickly and I don't even want to think what would happen to any survivors if the government was intent on "saving face" by concealing a military failure.

I can see this as a scenario, we tend to forget that china extends a long way west and the plane was heading in the general direction of the Uligher homeland, but I do see 2 problems with this.

1) Survivors, its unlikley that a stormed plane would leave no survivous and I doubt that even the Chinese regime is hartless to execute the survivours.

2) The yanks would know, the Chinese would have to believe and trust that the Americans would not blow the whistle on this scheme as they would most likely have caught somethong on satilite

Quoting flood (Reply 192):
I bumped into it on twitter and was just about to ask if someone knew the source. Here it is:

Oh come on, MH370 was last seen heading into Western China, home of a sepratist 'nation' case closed. Ask the Chinese what they did with MH370 as they certainly did something with it.
BV

rlwynn

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:19 am

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 196):

As one of the two head moderators on the X-Plane.org website, I find that joke rather in poor taste and not funny at all.

I do not see how that would be a joke at all. I see that as a very real possibility. Why would it not be?

[Edited 2014-03-15 02:19:52]
I can drive faster than you

pvjin

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:20 am

Anyone else thought about what could have made whoever hijacked the aircraft to choose this particular flight?

29th November 2013 LAM flight 470 gets flown into ground by suicidal pilot.

8th of March 2014 MH flight 370 disappears.

I feel this could explain why this particular flight got hijacked, some seriously ill person could have been influenced by the LAM accident & possibly the ET 702 hijack too.

If you rearrange the ET flight number you get 270.

Not that there would be any conspiracy behind this, I'm just thinking what made the hijacker, whoever he was, to choose this flight.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

tomlee

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:20 am

Turning off ACARS first makes sense, as it will take a considerable time and analysis that others discover it. Turning off the trandponder on the other hand will be immediately noticed unless synchronized with the ATC handover.

Can the ACARS turned off from cockpit controls or does it need physicsl access to E/E bay as suggested here? It would be logical that it can be turned off from some flight deck management user interface?

That is the same reason why I think it is backwards. The ACARS data takes time to notice it stopping (if at all there is good reason to think that the news is wrong and the ACARS can't be determined to be deliberately shut off, it could have just last transmitted and that was it) and turning it off after wouldn't effect them at all.

But with the transponder the longer it is on the more track information they will have on secondary radar. They already got it at the hand off point where a transponder shutoff would be most optimal but why go through the effort to turn off ACARS first when the transponder is so much easier to deal with then deal with turning off ACARS. And if they know about ACARS and how to disable it without messing up everything in the electronics bay why not disable all outward facing communications (VHF, HF, Satcom datalinks) if the whole point is to go silent.

Starlionblue

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:21 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 184):

Quoting flood (Reply 167):
Captain's home now being searched:

"KUALA LUMPUR (REUTERS) - Police began searching the home of the pilot of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 on Saturday, after the country's prime minister confirmed the plane was suspected to have been deliberately diverted, a senior police official told Reuters."
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...sing-planes-pilot-official-2014031

I can't believe it took them one week to do this. This guy had a flight simulator at home!

Lots of pilots (and non-pilots) do. Without any other leads, that's not a very strong indication of anything.

Needs access to E/E bay.

Quoting chaseus1 (Reply 209):
I'd remove comment if I could

Use the "Suggest Deletion" button. The mods will get to it eventually.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

flood

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 186):
Based on an assumption of hijacking, the northerly track seems more likely, since the southerly one ends in the ocean.

But the southern route would be more likely if, for example, the scenario involves pilot suicide or the hijacker's destination was Australia (with easily possible miscalculation and fuel starvation).

Better version of previous image:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Biwdqq5CIAAQmhR.jpg:large

via http://twitter.com/sunshinesulin/status/444763082254868482/photo/1

chaseus1

I meant it as a lighthearted moment, and I completely apologize. I own up to it.

Accidentally

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:22 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 184):
I can't believe it took them one week to do this. This guy had a flight simulator at home!

Holy cow. There has been some incredible things said in these threads, but this is pretty high up on the ridiculous scale. I hope it's sarcasm I'm missing, and in that case, I apologize.

I have a quite extensive simulator arrangement. Am I a criminal for this? Is it insinuated I am planning a hijacking somewhere? How incredibly disrespectful to the hobby, and we that have devoted so much over the years to better it.

The man was one of the more senior captains at the airline, and very well liked. What in the world could MSFS teach this man that his actual access to the physical aircraft for who knows how many days out of the year, for multiple past years?

I'm sorry, I'm just in such disbelief at the statement...maybe I'm overreacting, maybe laying in this hospital bed for the last few days is getting to me, but holy cow what an ignorant statement. Please tell me I'm missing something.
Indianapolis, IN

k83713

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:22 am

Quoting nm2582 (Reply 218):
TCAS is an active transponder system. It requires both aircraft to be equipped and functional. If MH370 had TCAS off, then they could quite literally fly 250 ft under and 500ft trailing the KLM in this case without ANY indication to or awareness by the KLM crew. As there is no visibility towards the rear of the aircraft, they would not be seen. Plus, it was a dark night and MH370 could have switched off all exterior lighting.

Then sorry, my mind is out of options to think about anything better organized than that. It's such a breath-taking movie scenario. You would take all the money in theatres with just filming that story, so economical effect is so much better than risk hijacking the plane for economical reason...

tomlee

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:23 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 222):

You can always find patterns in numbers not to mention with the number of flights and airlines would make similar numbers easy to find. With enough time incidents with coincident numbers would exist but that doesn't mean it is likely to be a reason. Allowing for number rearranging and you could link up every flight you wanted to whatever else you wanted.

chaseus1

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:26 am

In no way does having a flight simulator make you a suspect or a criminal. I love simulators.

But hijackers have used them in the past. That in no way indicates the pilot did anything wrong. I am hoping he is not involved, as he seemed to love aviation.

pvjin

Quoting tomlee (Reply 229):

Well even without number rearranging there's still clear link between the Mozambique Airlines 470 & MH370.

Someone influenced by the LAM470 could have chosen a flight with similar number.

I just don't believe it's coincidence when these two events happened within 5 months of each other.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

rlwynn

Quoting Accidentally (Reply 227):
The man was one of the more senior captains at the airline, and very well liked.

I see this statement as just as incredible as you find the FS staement. When something this big and crazy happens everthing can be the number one factor.
I can drive faster than you

KPDX

Quoting chaseus1 (Reply 226):
I meant it as a lighthearted moment, and I completely apologize. I own up to it.

I wouldn't worry about it. With all due respect, the political correctness and being "offended" has gone way overboard these days, IMO. Lightening up a tragic or sad situation is a way of coping for many people.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:27 am

Holy cow. There has been some incredible things said in these threads, but this is pretty high up on the ridiculous scale. I hope it's sarcasm I'm missing, and in that case, I apologize.I have a quite extensive simulator arrangement. Am I a criminal for this? Is it insinuated I am planning a hijacking somewhere? How incredibly disrespectful to the hobby, and we that have devoted so much over the years to better it.The man was one of the more senior captains at the airline, and very well liked. What in the world could MSFS teach this man that his actual access to the physical aircraft for who knows how many days out of the year, for multiple past years? I'm sorry, I'm just in such disbelief at the statement...maybe I'm overreacting, maybe laying in this hospital bed for the last few days is getting to me, but holy cow what an ignorant statement. Please tell me I'm missing something.

While I don't think the sim proves anything, let's just play devil's advocate:

1. You MUST examine all possibilities in this scenario. The flight sim - standalone - means nothing. The lfight sim - in the context of an investigation - might mean something. Might.

2. I agree that the guy clearly knows the in's and out's of the 777. However, looking at the flight path, maneuvers, and likely lack of experience flying to [insert final destination airport/strip/field/grassy knoll here] might mean that he needed to spend a considerable amount of time going through the motions. Might.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying. I'm just providing a possible reason why the flight sim ***might*** matter.

-Dave
-Dave

slinky09

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:29 am

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 219):
Being briefed by Malaysia officials they believe most likely location for MH370 is on land somewhere near Chinese/Kyrgyz border.

Which is precisely the border of the Uyghur region of China, an area not unknown for its violent wish for separatism.

So many theories ... I have a feeling something is soon to emerge.

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 220):
Oh come on, MH370 was last seen heading into Western China, home of a sepratist 'nation' case closed. Ask the Chinese what they did with MH370 as they certainly did something with it.

Hmmm.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:30 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 231):
Well even without number rearranging there's still clear link between the Mozambique Airlines 470 & MH370.

Someone influenced by the LAM470 could have chosen a flight with similar number.

I just don't believe it's coincidence when these two events happened within 5 months of each other.

Frankly, I find more credence in a variety of other scenarios than I do a number's based motivation. Just my humble opinion.

-Dave
-Dave

chaseus1

I'm still thinking maybe the passengers were exposed to something in the air, and the hijacker or hijackers had oxygen, and started enacting whatever evil plan they had.

Then maybe something with their oxygen went haywire, and they passed out, and the plane then flew a stable heading or course until fuel exhaustion.

tomlee

Holy cow. There has been some incredible things said in these threads, but this is pretty high up on the ridiculous scale. I hope it's sarcasm I'm missing, and in that case, I apologize.

I have a quite extensive simulator arrangement. Am I a criminal for this? Is it insinuated I am planning a hijacking somewhere? How incredibly disrespectful to the hobby, and we that have devoted so much over the years to better it.

The man was one of the more senior captains at the airline, and very well liked. What in the world could MSFS teach this man that his actual access to the physical aircraft for who knows how many days out of the year, for multiple past years?

I'm sorry, I'm just in such disbelief at the statement...maybe I'm overreacting, maybe laying in this hospital bed for the last few days is getting to me, but holy cow what an ignorant statement. Please tell me I'm missing something.

I find it more ironic that the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qykj3...G-p4&list=UUm6f3-wcpgLhxUR_ONPfoJA

is titled "how to tune your aircon". Just because he has a neat computer setup doesn't automatically make him suspicious. There has to be something more direct to count. Maybe he was upset the aircon's use different refrigerants in planes or on land and went insane... (I highly doubt it is related even if it turns out he was involved)

It was covered before that there are easy and normal ways for a pilot to get training on more accurate systems without being questioned for doing strange/dangerous tests as it would all be for practice. Just because he has something most people don't bother with doesn't automatically make him the prime suspect.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 am

Ask the Chinese what they did with MH370 as they certainly did something with it.

Well, if they treat it anything like they treat their HSR, they probably just buried it.

-Dave
-Dave

k83713

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 am

I believe all pilots are under close observation of security departments taking into account general common sense and also recent events with suicides. Doubt that being enthusiast of flying so you want to have six screen rig at home means any tendency to hijack the airplane. Also if you want to get more knowledge of aircraft controls/possibilities you don;t need to go for 6 monitors, which is more for the purpose of atmosphere, immersion and emotions, and not criminal planning.
I think all activity of police for the captian's house check is simple elimination of even small suspicion...

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:33 am

Quoting k83713 (Reply 240):
I think all activity of police for the captian's house check is simple elimination of even small suspicion...

More than likely true.

-Dave
-Dave

giblets

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:34 am

If it went North there may well be some very red faces! Almost the entire red line is over China. With Xinjiang separatists being increasingly violent it could be them.
If it went south, it should be in the range of the Australian Jindalee radar system.
146, ATR72, Q400, Saab 340, PA-46 Jetprop, Jetstream, E175/195, 707/727/737/747/757/767/777, DC-3/9/10, MD-11/80, A300/310/319/320/321/330/340/350/380 Tristar, BAC 1-11, Trident, Chipmunk, Bell 206/222, Chinook, Puma, Cessna 172, Fokker 70, 100, SRN4!

AirCalSNA

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:35 am

New York Times reporting that Malaysian Prime Minister says plane was deliberately diverted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/wo...ysia-airlines-flight.html?hp&_r=0.

YYZatcboy

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:36 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 233):

I wouldn't worry about it. With all due respect, the political correctness and being "offended" has gone way overboard these days, IMO. Lightening up a tragic or sad situation is a way of coping for many people.

A very large number of the people on that forum are friends/acquaintances of mine. Yes I take it personally, and no I don't mean to villify chaseus1 for his comment, but needless to say it strikes very close to home for me. I am also a payware author for X-Plane and know the 777 Developer very well. The thought that his product could have been used by someone that I know to murder or destroy an aspect of the industry that I love is heartbreaking.

Quoting chaseus1 (Reply 230):
In no way does having a flight simulator make you a suspect or a criminal. I love simulators.

But hijackers have used them in the past. That in no way indicates the pilot did anything wrong. I am hoping he is not involved, as he seemed to love aviation.

I also hope that this does not turn out to involve flight sim or a simmer. It's already a misunderstood to say the least hobby.

Quoting chaseus1 (Reply 226):

I still think the joke was in poor taste, but I know that I am biased because of my closeness to the sim and the X-Plane community that you are talking about. I did not mean to jump all over you however.

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 221):
I do not see how that would be a joke at all. I see that as a very real possibility. Why would it not be?

Of course it's certainly a possibility, and that makes it all the more horrific.

Quoting jeta380 (Reply 208):

Understandable that you are offended, but it's still a viable option. Don't you think?
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

VC315

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:36 am

Remind me what's the purpose of hijacking the plane and fly it back to the Western China (assumingly XinJiang where the Uyghurs live)? If this is an attack, wouldn't it aim for bigger cities in the south/east coast?

tomlee

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:37 am

Quoting chaseus1 (Reply 237):

I'm still thinking maybe the passengers were exposed to something in the air, and the hijacker or hijackers had oxygen, and started enacting whatever evil plan they had.

Then maybe something with their oxygen went haywire, and they passed out, and the plane then flew a stable heading or course until fuel exhaustion.

Or maybe there was a carbon monoxide + toxic fire and people + crew behaved erratically until they died. If the oxygen system failed or ran out (it is easy in a fire for it to get damaged or not function or even fuel a fire) and they were overcome by the effects before they could communicate/react that would cause the same thing to occur.

Not to mention getting some toxin onboard and distributing it would be difficult. (not even sure how you would get it to hit everyone evenly before being discovered) Compared to hypoxia which also would have varying resistances by people chemical poisons may affect individuals with wildly different sensitivities.

Maybe the pilots tried to plot a course when they couldn't see clearly and they punched in the wrong waypoints and flew off on a valid route while everyone died of poison gas from a fire. (The lithium fire's created such incapacitating smoke that without working oxygen it can knock you out in seconds, scale the intensity around or make it follow some yet unknown combustion pattern, rapid burn -> extinguishing attempts -> low level but not stopped burning generating more toxic gas+smoke)

I don't support it either way but if it was a hijacking using airborne poisons might not be the best idea.

ivanoruvan

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 am

@VC315: What I mean is that China is doing only what any small nation would do too. Their actions do not justify the power behind. I was surprised that Chinese released suspected crash satellite images only to retract immediately saying it was a 'mistake'. What does that mean? What was the 'mistake'?

Which is why I was wondering there could be lot of things happening behind the screen. For all we know, China has better intelligence capabilities than Malaysia. I won't be surprised if they know a lot more than Malaysia but holding back for some reason. Just wondering what could it be.

nm2582

As additional info for my post (reply 190 or therabouts), this image is the flight path of KLM 836 which I'm pondering that MH370 could have closely followed to avoid radar problems.

It would get the aircraft to Iran (as the FlyingWithFish twitter blog offers as an educated guestimate), it stays close to the northern corridor as announced, and would be a way to avoid detection. For more info go read my reply 190.

http://i.imgur.com/luYRcHn.jpg

[Edited 2014-03-15 03:06:38]

[Edited 2014-03-15 03:07:11]

chaseus1

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 239):
Ask the Chinese what they did with MH370 as they certainly did something with it.

I would think if they did anything, they shot it down as it entered their airspace.... I just don't think it went that way, given that other countries would have their airspace penetrated also.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:41 am

Quoting tomlee (Reply 246):
Maybe the pilots tried to plot a course when they couldn't see clearly and they punched in the wrong waypoints and flew off on a valid route while everyone died of poison gas from a fire.

And turned off the transponder? And zig-zagged around like they apparently did? Maybe, but it seems unlikely to me personally. Of course, this entire story that has unfolded seems unlikely to me, so that's not saying much I guess.

-Dave
-Dave

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos