Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tomlee

RE: MH370 Malaysia Airlines B772 Missing Enroute KUL-PEK Part 36

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:21 am

Quoting mhockey31091 (Reply 99):
I've lurked every single one of these threads from day 1 and I don't think I'm alone in saying that this tomnod.com has provided zero information and has created zero possible leads, all it's done is caused confusion from the very beginning.

Well they have limited imaging capabilities but one day they might find something. If they re-task to the southern area that might help or at least be another chance at finding something. For one it isn't the site producing the random rumours as they just take pictures of earth it is the social side of it that makes the rumours/confusion.

tomlee

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:23 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 97):
I wonder why no one bothers to post consecutive pics of the same spot? Are they not available? They would help to weed out a lot of stuff.

I don't think they have the resources to image the same area more than once. Once the sat flys by it can take some time to return to the same spot and even then it is more worthwhile to image more area than take a time lapse of a single frame.

9VSIO

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:25 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 73):
So in this case there would still be some method of communicating to head office they had tech problems and were returning to KUL, right? Im pretty sure that would have happened.

That would be the radio - you wouldn't tell head office, you'd tell ATC first if anything.

For what? How is crashing or stealing a 777 going to help the Crimeans gain independence or otherwise?

Well, it would take the world's eyes off that region just for a bit. There was a lot less coverage of the situation in Ukraine (and Syria) with this mystery going on.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

cpw

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:25 am

On the Northern route, if the plane managed to make it into Chinese airspace (and that's a *big* "if* in my mind), its fuel supply was exhausted, and it crashed in a very remote location with sufficient velocity to kill the ELT, how much fire would be expected? There's a really large desert under a portion of the northern arc.

If this thing crashed during the dark, in the middle of nowhere, and there was no fire, it seems like it would be almost as difficult to locate it as it would be in the middle of the ocean. I have no clue what type of crater a 777 would leave, but some comments in earlier threads indicated that ELTs have a history of not working in crashes.

The big "if" is whether it could get through Chinese air defense - I have a hard time believing that would be possible - but on the off chance it did, it seems like there wouldn't be much to start a fire if the tanks were empty.

mhockey31091

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:26 am

Quoting tomlee (Reply 103):

The problem with it is the images aren't high quality. Everything that I have seen posted can either be explained as a shadow, a cloud, or a wave break. The technology isn't there and that's not the companies fault.

RickNRoll

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:27 am

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 60):
I don't watch Faux News, and i detest Hannity, but take a gander at this (from PlatinumFlyer at PPrune):

I find it very hard to take that seriously.

imagoagnitio

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:28 am

true, which makes it a great way of pushing your product or service, how many of us had heard of topnod or digitalglobe before this incident?

mhockey31091

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:30 am

Quoting imagoagnitio (Reply 109):

That is also very true!

nupogodi

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 am

I've lurked every single one of these threads from day 1 and I don't think I'm alone in saying that this tomnod.com has provided zero information and has created zero possible leads, all it's done is caused confusion from the very beginning.

I have said from the very beginning, the imaged areas are very small and the images are far too low-resolution to be able to confirm anything but "there's some shit in the sea". Traditional SAR could cover the same area with far greater detail much quicker. It's a complete waste of time, but people bristle when I say that.

Quoting imagoagnitio (Reply 109):
true, which makes it a great way of pushing your product or service, how many of us had heard of topnod or digitalglobe before this incident?

Certainly heard of DigitalGlobe. They are huge!
A man must know how to look before he can hope to see.

tomlee

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 am

Quoting cpw (Reply 106):
I have no clue what type of crater a 777 would leave, but some comments in earlier threads indicated that ELTs have a history of not working in crashes.

For general aviation it seems like they work for 73-83% of those crashes according to this ( https://www.aopa.org/Advocacy/Regulatory-,-a-,-Certification-Policy/Regulatory-Brief-Emergency-Locator-Transmitters-ELTs.aspx )

But in commercial aviation I don't have any numbers but given their higher speeds and altitudes it is not as likely to work as much as it does for GA. Does anyone have a historical commercial jet crash where the automatic ELT worked after impact?

tomlee

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:36 am

Quoting mhockey31091 (Reply 107):
The problem with it is the images aren't high quality. Everything that I have seen posted can either be explained as a shadow, a cloud, or a wave break. The technology isn't there and that's not the companies fault.

All true, but it isn't like they even have been imaging in the right place anyways so we don't really know what the debris from this flight look like on those images.

edmountain

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:38 am

Quoting ivanoruvan (Reply 86):
One cannot be bad just to give some opinion. Check the image and see for yourself.

Sorry, it was just a poorly-timed idiom referring to alleged wreckage, not the gentlemen looking at the pictures.

dandelany

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:39 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 97):
I wonder why no one bothers to post consecutive pics of the same spot? Are they not available? They would help to weed out a lot of stuff.

The DigitalGlobe satellites taking these photos are in orbits which take them over different parts of the earth all the time, it's quite rare to get a shot of the same place without burning precious fuel to change orbits. They have to be quite close to the earth (low orbit) to get such high res shots.

By contrast, geosynchronous satellites like the GOES weather satellites and Inmarsat do not move relative to the earth's surface (because they orbit at the same rate the Earth rotates). However, this requires a much higher orbit which prohibits high resolution close-up images like these.

[Edited 2014-03-18 22:45:17]

tomlee

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:41 am

Quoting nupogodi (Reply 111):
Certainly heard of DigitalGlobe. They are huge!

So huge if you look at the tiny text on Google maps sat view you often will see DigitalGlobe as the credited image source. (The text is small but Google is huge and use DigitalGlobe extensively)

edmountain

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:43 am

Quoting nupogodi (Reply 49):
ADS-C is speculation as to how they know the flight plan was changed in the FMC. Google it to read about what it is. It's not likely they had ADS-C activated.

I'm not sure they only subscribed to EHM, the early reports were that they subscribed to a "basic" level of AHM from Boeing too but not over SATCOM? It's quite complicated since all of these things have costs attached to them, and the costs change depending on which downlink you use, and you can program airline policy into the system - i.e. "use any link for this, use only VHF for that" etc. Then any of the links can be disabled by the crew by digging into menus in the MFD, but only for ACARS... Basically, without getting a VERY SPECIFIC and technical description of EXACTLY what the aircraft was configured to do, all we can do is speculate.

But I am skeptical of the ADS-C angle, to be honest.

I wonder if the "subscription" is actually managed at the network level rather than the aircraft level. I.e., the aircraft sends all the data it can based on its firmware/software and some other network service manages whether or not the airline has access to it. (I believe GMC's OnStar works this way for example.) If that's the case then it might not matter whether or not Malaysia subscribed to anything.

LTC8K6

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:48 am

Quoting dandelany (Reply 115):
DigitalGlobe

We can refresh imagery from the same location almost daily. This gives customers the power to understand and take action.

With the most advanced commercial satellite constellation, DigitalGlobe offers the greatest collection and faster refresh to any place on Earth.

http://www.digitalglobe.com/about-us/our-coverage

[Edited 2014-03-18 22:49:54]

edmountain

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:49 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 92):

FWIW, Flyingwithfish mentioned this yesterday.

Maybe that's where the retired general got his scoop from.

tomlee

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:51 am

Quoting edmountain (Reply 117):
I wonder if the "subscription" is actually managed at the network level rather than the aircraft level. I.e., the aircraft sends all the data it can based on its firmware/software and some other network service manages whether or not the airline has access to it. (I believe GMC's OnStar works this way for example.) If that's the case then it might not matter whether or not Malaysia subscribed to anything.

Pretty sure it is charged on a message based level at least at some point as if every ACARS system always transmitted everything over any link things like the inmarsat system would have had a mountain of data over just the idle modem pings. Even with the VHF link having a ton of planes transmitting every possible parameter might not be what the providers want as they would have to be paying to keep up with the load even if no one was paying.

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 118):
We can refresh imagery from the same location almost daily. This gives customers the power to understand and take action.

With the most advanced commercial satellite constellation, DigitalGlobe offers the greatest collection and faster refresh to any place on Earth.

True but what they are doing is a free service and is probable in between paid activities so I don't think we can expect the same level of service as their paying customers get.

Mcoov

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:54 am

I just had a thought.

If the aircraft was hijacked, and the transponders and ACARS were all turned off, then it's likely that the circuit breakers for the data recorder and the voice recorder would have been pulled as well.

dandelany

Quoting nupogodi (Reply 111):
I have said from the very beginning, the imaged areas are very small and the images are far too low-resolution to be able to confirm anything but "there's some shit in the sea".

I think the various images people have found of planes in flight show that it would indeed possess sufficient resolution to clearly make out a wrecked plane in certain cases (if it were mostly intact, large debris pieces, in shallow water or on land). I agree that it hasn't produced any useful leads but I think it certainly *could* if circumstances were just right, therefore I do think it's worth it for them to at least try. The filter process to go from potential sighting to debunked or confirmed needs work, but this is a difficult problem. It will come with time.

Quoting tomlee (Reply 101):
Wouldn't carbon monoxide also knock people out. Do commercial planes even have any carbon monoxide, CO2, or O2 sensors for air quality assessment. If there was a fire that was small enough to not take the plane out completely but didn't actually fully extinguish couldn't it introduce enough carbon monoxide to slowly incapacitate everyone. Alternatively if they used a improperly burning kerosene heater that would also make a lot of CO (unlikely, just an example of something that could make CO).

I don't know whether or not a CO detector would have been installed, but I haven't found any reference to an onboard CO detector in anything I've been able to find. Seems rare to have a CO detector installed - experts please correct me if I'm wrong. I personally don't think there's anything to this line of speculation, but it does remind me of another accident - Saudia 163, a fire and crash that may have been caused by a pax operating a stove on the flight...

Quote:
Some Middle Eastern airlines used to allow devout Muslim passengers to use butane stoves on board in order to observe Islam's strict dietary laws - a practice unthinkable on Western airlines. The Saudi government had recently passed regulations forbidding them, but Muslim pilgrims still tried to smuggle them aboard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudia_Flight_163

LTC8K6

Quoting tomlee (Reply 120):

True but what they are doing is a free service and is probable in between paid activities so I don't think we can expect the same level of service as their paying customers get.

If they really thought it might be related, they would certainly take another look.

Otherwise, what's the point?

tomlee

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:55 am

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 121):

I just had a thought.

If the aircraft was hijacked, and the transponders and ACARS were all turned off, then it's likely that the circuit breakers for the data recorder and the voice recorder would have been pulled as well.

Probably we will have to find the black boxes to find that out.

bajamatic

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:56 am

circuit breakers for the data recorder and the voice recorder would have been pulled as well.

Seems like a small design flaw there.

tomlee

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:57 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 123):
If they really thought it might be related, they would certainly take another look.

Otherwise, what's the point?

I don't think they have the capacity to image every zone totally again and again. Unless they have some manual/automatic way of flagging tiles people pick a lot. Not to mention they would have to account for ocean drift over the course of at least a day or just re-image a area around. But by that point your probably going to be adding more titles to scan each day than before and at a certain point they won't have the capacity to keep up.

tomlee

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:59 am

Quoting bajamatic (Reply 125):
Seems like a small design flaw there.

Not really, there is a valid reason to pull the circuit breaker to stop the CVR/FDR from being overwritten after a normal incident. With a RIPS equipped FDR/CVR they can record for about 10 minutes after which should be enough to sort of close the "small" design flaw.

ivanoruvan

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:59 am

Quoting edmountain (Reply 114):
Sorry, it was just a poorly-timed idiom referring to alleged wreckage, not the gentlemen looking at the pictures.

Got it. My bad. Apologies.

spr773

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:00 am

This is a interesting bit. Sorry if it is a repeat link

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...e/article5801884.ece?homepage=true

CaliAtenza

Quoting edmountain (Reply 119):
Maybe that's where the retired general got his scoop from.

lol could be a possibility; but being a retired general, i think he would have deeper sources than Flying With Fish.

dandelany

I understand that 35 parts is a lot to ask but please at least read the entire thread you're on. From my reply #64, above: "the CVR circuit breaker is located in the electronics bay of the aircraft instead of on the flight deck. Access to the electronics bay from within the aircraft is via a hatch in the cabin floor adjacent to the front left door of the aircraft, alternatively access can be gained from beneath the aircraft via a hatch."

timothy31388

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:01 am

Quoting spr773 (Reply 129):

Looks like a B737.
TJJINDI

flood

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:02 am

tomnod.com has provided zero information and has created zero possible leads, all it's done is caused confusion from the very beginning.

And what have the combined eye witness reports, naval, air, and satellite assets of the official search effort yielded?
Zero as well.

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 42):
Well with CNN talking about the plane being used as a future weapon, or it ending up in Iran now;....i guess Flying With Fish wasn't so wrong after all....

I'm not sure how one opinion supporting another can be called 'wrong' or 'right'?

Mcoov

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:03 am

Quoting dandelany (Reply 131):
I understand that 35 parts is a lot to ask but please at least read the entire thread you're on. From my reply #64, above: "the CVR circuit breaker is located in the electronics bay of the aircraft instead of on the flight deck. Access to the electronics bay from within the aircraft is via a hatch in the cabin floor adjacent to the front left door of the aircraft, alternatively access can be gained from beneath the aircraft via a hatch."

Sorry, didn't know that about the 777. I had been thinking about SilkAir 185.

edmountain

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:07 am

Dalavia

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:07 am

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 130):
lol could be a possibility; but being a retired general, i think he would have deeper sources than Flying With Fish.

I agree.

However, they might both be getting their intelligence from similar (or even the same?) high level sources, which could add credibility.

If the general is correct, we should have some idea in a day or two.

ivanoruvan

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 am

Sharing this info as requested by a fellow member 9W737.

9W737 found an interesting discussion about MH370 in Indian Defence forum...

http://indiandefence.com/threads/rus...airlines-capture-by-us-navy.43999/

edmountain

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 am

Quoting Dalavia (Reply 136):
If the general is correct, we should have some idea in a day or two.

If the general is correct then shouldn't he be dragged into a courtroom for giving the hijackers a heads up about the forthcoming raid?

jelliesR

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:13 am

Quoting ivanoruvan (Reply 137):

That stinks of a sad stay-at-home making something up that will gain a life of its own, ensuring it is full of acronyms in order to give it a thin veneer of truthiness but of course not pinning it to anything that can ever be confirmed or denied. I feel I have to clean my computer after reading that topic.

dennypayne

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:13 am

Quoting dandelany (Reply 131):
I understand that 35 parts is a lot to ask but please at least read the entire thread you're on.

Agreed - while it's not my place to say people shouldn't ask questions without reading all 35 threads, it does get a bit tiresome for those of us that *have* followed along since the beginning to see the same question asked for the 437th time. Easily half of the posts by now are repeat questions and reposting of debunked info.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 ARJ AT6/7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 741/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR1/2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L4T M11/80/87/90 SF3 SU9 TU3/TU5 YK2

asetiadi

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:14 am

http://m.detik.com/news/read/2014/03/19/114858/2530210/1148/

Found this on the news... this could be it? Do you think this is the plane?

edmountain

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:16 am

Quoting ivanoruvan (Reply 137):
Sharing this info as requested by a fellow member 9W737.

http://indiandefence.com/threads/rus...airlines-capture-by-us-navy.43999/

LOL. MH370, Maersk Alabama, 9/11 and countless other foci for conspiracy rolled into one. I was waiting for the ghost of JFK to appear by the end of it.

And what's this? "11 September 2011 when the then Bush regime “disappeared” American Airlines Flight 77." They can't even get the date of 9/11 correct.

The bats are really out tonight. Is it a full moon or something?

[Edited 2014-03-18 23:25:44]

dragon-wings

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:18 am

Quoting asetiadi (Reply 141):

No I don't think it is. Look at the rear and tail section. It is a dark color. It looks like a FedEx type livery.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

n797mx

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:19 am

Quoting asetiadi (Reply 141):
http://m.detik.com/news/read/2014/03/19/114858/2530210/1148/

No, looks more like a 757/A321, no crash debris, different paint scheme.
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

ivanoruvan

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:22 am

Quoting edmountain (Reply 142):
The bats are really out tonight. Is it a full moon or something?

LoL! That was a week old article from eutimes.   You should comment in the eutimes page.

mhockey31091

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:34 am

I have a question about Diego Garcia, is it possible to travel there on your own? Or is it military personnel only? I've been reading up on it and it sounds like a really awesome place.

CaliAtenza

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:38 am

Quoting flood (Reply 133):
I'm not sure how one opinion supporting another can be called 'wrong' or 'right'?

true, i agree with you. But everything FWF has said has showed up on the TeeVee news....

Quoting edmountain (Reply 138):
If the general is correct then shouldn't he be dragged into a courtroom for giving the hijackers a heads up about the forthcoming raid?

Yeah i was scratching my head at that part....

tapir

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:38 am

Yes. One of the top air cargoes - perishables (fruit / veg / meat / flowers).

Thank you.

alfa164

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:39 am

Quoting nupogodi (Reply 18):
You shouldn't watch Fox News anyway.

Amid all the theories, speculation, and fantasies on these threads... this is the only factual comment I have seen...

I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Dalavia

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:46 am

Quoting CaliAtenza (Reply 151):
Quoting edmountain (Reply 138):

Yeah i was scratching my head at that part....

Unless of course it is deliberate MISinformation that is being thrown out through the rumours in order to lull the hijackers into a false sense of security.

No, I don't think I really believe that either, but it is a logical consequence of your point.

It's all so potentially complicated.

NAV30

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:58 am

I don't usually visit sites like this one - but I hope that it's all made up, rather than actually happening.............

http://barracudabrigade.blogspot.com...rgent-malaysia-777-tracked-to.html

[Edited 2014-03-19 00:00:39]

studedave

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:03 am

Quoting mhockey31091 (Reply 150):
I have a question about Diego Garcia, is it possible to travel there on your own?
Or is it military personnel only? I've been reading up on it and it sounds like a really awesome place.

Yes- it is an awesome place. I spent a year there, and would do it again in a heartbeat.
You may not travel there on your own, and other then contractors, yes it is pretty much all military.
Are there exceptions? Of course. But I wasn't high enough up the food chain to know about that.
Besides- I was loving that place too much to care!!!! (I was active NAVY at the time)

StudeDave

[Edited 2014-03-19 00:04:42]
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos