JBAirwaysFan

RE: Why Does UA Use More RJ's Than The Other Carriers?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 7):
The +/- 90-minute trip from ORD to DCA/LGA/BOS doesn't really require 500 channels of movie or audio either.

AA has 15 mainline flights on LGA-ORD today, no Eagle. 9 on BOS-ORD, no Eagle. 5 mainline on DCA-ORD, 3 Eagle (E175s). ORD-ATL is all Eagle, but DL is all mainline. Frankly, with AA's massive mainline capacity on their ORD-LGA/BOS routes, I don't see why UA has to be 50/50 on mainline and express for LGA, and about 70/30 mainline express on BOS (by the way, BOS-ORD does not have E Jets, just CR7s and mainline). If I was picking between UA and AA for a flight to ORD, I'd pick AA.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

300CAP

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Anyway one looks at the issue is that it all sucks! Some UA mgmt person said that UA was proud to be the largest operator of rj's in the world, well that mgmt person is the only person proud of this info while the rest of us at UA are perplexed. Any rj on a route longer than 300 miles or in major route segment is a flight that I will avoid and chose another airline with a mainline aircraft. I feel sorry for a lot of the rj pilots that continue to fly " servitude" for their rj company at substandard pay rates.

captainstefan

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 pm

Quoting DeltaXNA (Thread starter):
ORD-ATL

I've wondered this too - and I think it comes down to the the hub (for each airline respectively) and its share of the airline's overall traffic.

For Thursday, March 20th 2014:

DL:
11 Total flights each way
5x 717 (550 seats)
2x 319 (252 seats)
2x M88 (298 seats)
1x CR9 (76 seats)
1x 757 (180 seats)
=1356 total PDEW capacity

UA:
7 Total flights each way
1x 319 (120 seats)
1x E70 (70 seats)
5x CR7 (350 seats)
=540 total PDEW capacity

This shows that the airlines operate almost completely oppositely - one daily RJ for DL and one daily mainline for UA. Recently UA has been throwing the odd 757 in on weekends, but I figured the most level playing field would be a snapshot from a midweek day. I work at ATL and I have to say I do a double take every time I see a UA mainline aircraft.
Long Live the Tulip!

mayor

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
Quoting mayor (Reply 29):Shuttle American
Shuttle America...Alaskan...American West...SouthWest(ern)

Just a blurp...................
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 am

Quoting Tigerguy (Reply 49):
For the record, the E-170 will run the route (westbound only) on Tuesdays starting in May

This is UA in a nutshell. One daily OKC flight, E70 in one direction, 50 seater in the opposite, schedule changing eveyr. other. day., arriving in OKC near midnight, long connects from anywhere in Europe... Who *wouldn't* want to take that premium schedule?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Tigerguy

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:21 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 54):
This is UA in a nutshell. One daily OKC flight, E70 in one direction, 50 seater in the opposite, schedule changing eveyr. other. day., arriving in OKC near midnight, long connects from anywhere in Europe... Who *wouldn't* want to take that premium schedule?

I agree that the whole situation ain't ideal, but those late departures have given me more time at my destination, which has been quite nice for my past few trips to the area. Of course, this is just one person's experience. In this town, we'll take whatever upgauge bone we can get. As I said before, only time will tell whether it's a sign of things to come or just another mark of something odd in the schedule. More jets may solve that problem.
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.

MSPNWA

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:24 am

It's a whole lot more premium than the 0x daily flights offered by everyone else. Think they should use a prime slot for a city better covered by their other hubs?

Amazing how you will twist a flight no other airline offers into a problem.

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:07 am

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 56):
It's a whole lot more premium than the 0x daily flights offered by everyone else

Really. F in one direction only? Does any other carrier do that? Take any number of other NYC routes, like MCI. All 50 seaters today on UA. DL? Every flight has F.
E pur si muove -Galileo

penguinflies

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:26 am

Comparing another Apple with the Apples for March 20th, ORD-ATL

AA:
3x Cr7
4x E75
No mainline.

Quoting captainstefan (Reply 52):

DL:
5x 717 (550 seats)
2x 319 (252 seats)
2x M88 (298 seats)
1x CR9 (76 seats)
1x 757 (180 seats)

UA:
7 Total flights each way
1x 319 (120 seats)
1x E70 (70 seats)
5x CR7 (350 seats)
=540 total PDEW capacity

UA444

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:57 am

Quoting penguinflies (Reply 58):

ORD isn't as strong of a hub for AA as it is for UA. AA on DFW to ATL has 10 flights a day all mainline.

UA's token 1 or 2 mainline flights a day in places like ATL, DTW, SLC, and more is simply pathetic. And now they want to outsource DTW, SLC, ABQ, and more. If the other airlines can fly mainline jets to UA's hubs, UA should be able to do so as well. Instead, whenever there is any sort of competition, it's run run run.

catiii

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Quoting UA444 (Reply 59):

ORD isn't as strong of a hub for AA as it is for UA. AA on DFW to ATL has 10 flights a day all mainline.

UA's token 1 or 2 mainline flights a day in places like ATL, DTW, SLC, and more is simply pathetic. And now they want to outsource DTW, SLC, ABQ, and more. If the other airlines can fly mainline jets to UA's hubs, UA should be able to do so as well. Instead, whenever there is any sort of competition, it's run run run.

Good point. I can not for the life of me understand UA's EWR-ATL schedule. All E145s all the time. Meanwhile DL is flying 717's. UA could easily upgauge to 319s or -700s at peak times at a minimum.

MWAAdude

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:13 pm

Quoting 300CAP (Reply 51):
Some UA mgmt person said that UA was proud to be the largest operator of rj's in the world

Rdh3e

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Is everyone forgetting that UA just doesn't have that many mainline domestic planes?

End of year 2013 UA had 496 domestic aircraft (subtracting the INTL 752's from total narrowbody)
Delta on the other hand shows 582 domestic aircraft on their website.

I'm not sure how many of DL's are necessarily active, as there is a transition period with the MD's / 717's, but it's something to think about.

jetblue1965

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Because they aren't comparable dynamics

DL's flights are "how many of our pax want to go to SFO" ? tons

UA's flights are "how many of our pax want to go to DTW" ? more like a handful

captainstefan

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 60):
I can not for the life of me understand UA's EWR-ATL schedule. All E145s all the time.

Lately there's been an occasional A319 on this route. For today (March 20th):

United
6 Total flights (!!!)
5x E145 (250 seats)
1x A319 (120 seats)
Total= 370 seats

Delta
11 Total flights
11x B717 (1210 seats)
Total= 1210 seats
Long Live the Tulip!

MSPNWA

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:05 pm

If the other airlines can fly mainline jets to UA's hubs, UA should be able to do so as well. Instead, whenever there is any sort of competition, it's run run run.

They are competitive when you compare apples to apples, and the station is large enough to support mainline. Any unadjusted comparison with DL at ATL is not an apples to apples gauge, not even DFW/CLT-ATL. DL will always "win".

Quoting catiii (Reply 60):
Good point. I can not for the life of me understand UA's EWR-ATL schedule. All E145s all the time. Meanwhile DL is flying 717's. UA could easily upgauge to 319s or -700s at peak times at a minimum.

UA does have one mainline on EWR-ATL right now, but It's not difficult to see why it's mostly ERJ. Domestically this winter, DL at ATL is roughly 3.5 times the size of UA at EWR. And what each carrier offers reflects that difference. In fact, if you take their relative sizes into the equation, UA offers slightly MORE capacity than DL in that city pair. UA is doing very well for themselves. If UA suddenly changed to all mainline, they'd probably be looking at half-empty airplanes. They have plenty of capacity. Hopefully they can consolidate and up-gauge a couple flights with more large RJs coming online.

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 62):
Is everyone forgetting that UA just doesn't have that many mainline domestic planes?

It's true that UA's mainline fleet is a little smaller than DL, for example. But UA's mainline ASMs for December were under 5% less than DL's. And I would reckon that UA manages that with a slightly lower density across the fleet. It's a difference in utilization that makes it appear that UA doesn't fly much mainline. UA runs their fleet over longer stage lengths.

commavia

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Haha yeah that's bad.

I get the whole thing about optimizing schedules and day-of-week cancellations and such, but there's a limit beyond which it just gets ridiculous, starts harming customer expectations, and/or you start diluting yourself into thinking you're really having all that big an impact. Flying a 2-class plane in only one direction, only one day a week (Tuesday, of all days!), strikes me as a bit ridiculous. Perhaps United (or it's regional partner) is doing it for aircraft positioning reasons, because that doesn't strike me as a schedule that is being done for commercial reasons.

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 62):

End of year 2013 UA had 496 domestic aircraft (subtracting the INTL 752's from total narrowbody)
Delta on the other hand shows 582 domestic aircraft on their website.

I don't think people have "forgotten" this; I think the above point is really the entire central theme of this thread: United has shifted substantially more of its flying to regional operators than its competitors. Thus why United's system average seats per departure is considerably lower than either Delta or United.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 63):
Because they aren't comparable dynamics

DL's flights are "how many of our pax want to go to SFO" ? tons

UA's flights are "how many of our pax want to go to DTW" ? more like a handful

I don't really think that's all that meaningful, though, especially considering how often Smisek & Co. are touting United's superior network. Using your suggestion above, United's the one that has the big hub with the big local presence and - theoretically - the big pull on FFs and corporate contracts - in the bigger city. In many of these markets mentioned, there is really no reason - from an economic and competitive perspective - why United shouldn't be able to at least make 2-class large RJs work, as opposed to just all-Y 50-seat RJs up against other carrier's 2-class RJs or, worse, mainline.

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 65):
It's true that UA's mainline fleet is a little smaller than DL, for example. But UA's mainline ASMs for December were under 5% less than DL's. And I would reckon that UA manages that with a slightly lower density across the fleet. It's a difference in utilization that makes it appear that UA doesn't fly much mainline. UA runs their fleet over longer stage lengths.

I think the stage length of mainline has a big part of it, when looking only at mainline in isolation. The flip side of so much flying being done by 50-seat jets and, to a lesser extent, with larger RJs is that what mainline is still done tends to be at far longer stage-length - i.e., United's average mainline stage length has likely steadily risen in the last decade as many of the shorter domestic segments out of ORD, DEN and SFO (plus IAH for Continental) have gone to regional. What remains today of United's mainline network, especially domestic, is disproportionately longer.

mayor

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Quoting commavia (Reply 66):
Flying a 2-class plane in only one direction, only one day a week (Tuesday, of all days!), strikes me as a bit ridiculous.

Almost sounds like a non-rev special!  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Vctony

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:18 am

The bigger difference between the two carriers is the following. DL is replacing 50 seat RJs with second-hand mainline aircraft (MD-90s and 717s) and larger RJs (E175s and CRJ-900s). UA isn't really increasing mainline capacity (as many of the new mainline aircraft on order are simply replacing older mainline aircraft). AA has a ton of new aircraft on order and probably can replace 50 seat RJs with the 738s, A319s, and A321s on order as well as the larger RJs also on order.

In a nutshell. UA's mainline fleet is stagnant, DL is growing theirs with used aircraft, and AA is growing theirs with new aircraft.

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:38 am

Vctony, you are partially correct, but many of the new orders for AA are to replace the 200+ strong fleet of MD88's that have been flying since the Reagan administration, along with some 762's

catiii

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:16 am

Who said it? Or is that more crew lounge apocraphy. . .

Quoting captainstefan (Reply 64):

That 319 is a new add then although good to see it's on the schedule.

LouieP2186

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 am

Quoting ORDBOSEWR (Reply 10):
A net loss of 7 RJ's this year (and a net loss of 2 mainline).

I am assuming 763's are the 2 you are talking about?

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 41):
It's rather sad actually. They are retiring 757s in large number and could be keeping them on in combination with the new 739 to pull down the ERJ numbers. Doesn't seem like they have any intention of doing so.

The sUA 752's are old........very old

Does anyone see UA turning to the E190 possibly? I remember UA during the pilot talks saying that they would order the "Larger RJ" but that comes with higher cost as well.

I am curious how many more E175's will be ordered or will UA possibly mix CR9's in as well on top of the existing fleet.

300CAP

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 70):
Who said it? Or is that more crew lounge apocraphy. . .

I believe that it was the VP of UA Express who made the statement when the E175 order was made public.

Goldenshield

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Any rj on a route longer than 300 miles or in major route segment is a flight that I will avoid and chose another airline with a mainline aircraft.

Pity, because most cities from the mid-west hubs of DEN, SLC, and PHX are 300 miles minimum. Have fun driving!
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

kgaiflyer

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Quoting LouieP2186 (Reply 71):
Quoting tommy767 (Reply 41):It's rather sad actually. They are retiring 757s in large number and could be keeping them on in combination with the new 739 to pull down the ERJ numbers. Doesn't seem like they have any intention of doing so.

I remember similar exchanges when the pmUA 762s were retired over a decade ago.

As I remember, most of those frames were early builds which even needed avionics upgrades.

catiii

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Quoting 300CAP (Reply 72):

Got a link or a source?

Good luck sticking to that, but I doubt you will. Judging by your previous post you're a UA employee and a pilot, so I doubt you'll bypass the free jump seat or nonrev seat to stay up on your high horse.

[Edited 2014-03-21 06:37:43]

FlyDeltaJets

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:58 pm

Quoting DeltaXNA (Thread starter):
They have so many routes that should be all mainline. But instead, they have all RJ's or at least a few in their schedule. ORD-LGA, ORD-BOS, ORD-ATL, ORD-DCA and there's a lot more, those just jump out at me.

We do a lot of RJ flying but of the routes you mentioned the only one that is all RJ is the ATL route, BOS is only 1 or 2 express and the same goes for LGA. DCA is 50%.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

tommy767

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Not as old as DL's -- which are they choosing to keep around. UA has at least 20-30 delivered between 1995-1999. It's a shame that they are letting them go, especially when quite a few of the sCO 757 machines were delivered in 1994-1995.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

OA412

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 18):
Someone made this analysis a couple months ago - noting that on a LOT of city pairs from their hubs, UA flies RJs on the route whereas Delta or American fly mainline equipment from their respective hubs. I tried to debunk this theory, but it was strangely resilient.

The one I'm most familiar with is DEN-SLC, but I see this in a lot of markets. I looked at random dates in March, April, May, and June between DEN-SLC and this is how the 2 stack up:

March
UA: 1 CR7, 1 738, 1 Q400, 3 CRJ
DL: 4 CR7, 2 CR9, 1 320

April
UA: 1 CR7, 2 E45, 1 CRJ, 1 Q400, 1 E70
DL: 2 CR7, 4 CR9, 1 320

May
UA: 3 E70, 1 Q400, 1 E45, 1 CRJ
DL: 2 CR7, 4 CR9, 1 320

June
UA: 2 E45, 1 E70, 1 CR7, 2 CRJ
DL: 3 CR7, 2 CR9, 2 320

DL is fairly consistent, while UA is somewhat all over the map. DL offers F on every flight, whereas UA offers F on some, all Y on others; with the number of flights featuring F at 2 or 3 a month. I'm not even including F9 and WN which are all mainline in this market.

You see examples of such odd scheduling all over the place at UA.

Quoting commavia (Reply 66):
I don't really think that's all that meaningful, though, especially considering how often Smisek & Co. are touting United's superior network. Using your suggestion above, United's the one that has the big hub with the big local presence and - theoretically - the big pull on FFs and corporate contracts - in the bigger city. In many of these markets mentioned, there is really no reason - from an economic and competitive perspective - why United shouldn't be able to at least make 2-class large RJs work, as opposed to just all-Y 50-seat RJs up against other carrier's 2-class RJs or, worse, mainline.

Let alone the fact that you often see RJ's between hubs at UA. I often see an RJ scheduled on DEN-IAH.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

captainstefan

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 76):
the only one that is all RJ is the ATL route

See my post:

Quoting captainstefan (Reply 52):
For Thursday, March 20th 2014:

DL:
5x 717 (550 seats)
2x 319 (252 seats)
2x M88 (298 seats)
1x CR9 (76 seats)
1x 757 (180 seats)

UA:
7 Total flights each way
1x 319 (120 seats)
1x E70 (70 seats)
5x CR7 (350 seats)
=540 total PDEW capacity

There is typically at least one mainline flight ATL-ORD daily.
Long Live the Tulip!

catiii

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 77):

I think something like 49 or 50 were gone from DL as of the summer. Not sure the build years on them but judging by the ship numbers they are all pre 1994 builds:

(5)5501-5506
(11)5508-5518
(1)5520
(1)5524
(4)5526-5529
(2)601-602
(4)604-607
(4)619-622
(3)624-626
(5)628-632
(6)636-641
(2)656-657
(1)670

mayor

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 80):
(2)601-602
(4)604-607

True.....these, at least, were probably from the 80s.

UA444

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:19 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 74):

UA was the launch customer of the 767, so they would have the early builds. They also had JT9Ds on them.

mayor

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:45 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 82):
UA was the launch customer of the 767, so they would have the early builds. They also had JT9Ds on them.

The Delta 767-200s, with CF6s, were also early builds, being delivered about 2 months after UA's. I believe they were the first ones with the GE's.

N1120A

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 74):
I remember similar exchanges when the pmUA 762s were retired over a decade ago.

As I remember, most of those frames were early builds which even needed avionics upgrades.

Very early build A models.

Actually, they aren't. UA was one of the last to the 757 game.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

UA444

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 83):

You're correct, DL was the launch customer of the GE engines.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 84):

So, so true. It's funny how the website that loves 40 year old DC-9s (and I'm one of them) whines about 20 year old 757s.

tommy767

Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Quoting UA444 (Reply 85):

True. The management team should wake up and not sell off or retire these planes. They will have a massive headache next winter when the 739ERs start diverting on BOS-SFO.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

RyanairGuru

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 86):
not sell off or retire these planes

This touches on something that hasn't been mentioned yet: the UA aircraft are going to FedEx (or UPS?) while the DL aircraft are going to the desert. I don't know who approached who in that transaction, or what prices UA are getting for them, but if the price is right it probably makes sense for UA to sell those aircraft while they still have value. DL have more flexibility in their fleet exits because they are being parked.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 86):
They will have a massive headache next winter when the 739ERs start diverting on BOS-SFO.

I don't mean to be deliberately obtuse, but - out of all operators of the type - ex-CO probably have the best knowledge about the transcon performance of the 738 and 739, as it's their standard transcon aircraft out of EWR.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

tommy767

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:09 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 87):
I don't mean to be deliberately obtuse, but - out of all operators of the type - ex-CO probably have the best knowledge about the transcon performance of the 738 and 739, as it's their standard transcon aircraft out of EWR.

I'm not sure at this point as UA has proven that they are incapable of making the right decisions to compete profitwise with AA and DL. They do seem to be knowledgeable in where exactly to cut 2 billion to aggrevate passengers, however.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

fanoftristars

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 88):
They do seem to be knowledgeable in where exactly to cut 2 billion to aggrevate passengers, however.

I really agree. I have to fly UA twice per year to get to DRO. That twice per year is more than enough to know that UA lags far behind DL and others in the customer experience arena.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

jetblastdubai

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Quoting fanoftristars (Reply 89):
I have to fly UA twice per year to get to DRO. That twice per year is more than enough to know that UA lags far behind DL and others in the customer experience arena.

If UA is really that bad, maybe you should just fly DL to DRO. ...ooops, never mind.

If you go in expecting poor customer service, you've already made up your mind and no matter what the airline does, you won't be satisfied. At least UA offers service to your destination unlike most other carriers.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 90):
If UA is really that bad, maybe you should just fly DL to DRO. ...ooops, never mind.

and while DL does have a better regional mix/product, most of the mainline is in ATL. Every other hub is just as rj heavy as other carriers.
E pur si muove -Galileo

FlyPNS1

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 91):
Every other hub is just as rj heavy as other carriers.

Not for long. DL's domestic mainline fleet is growing even at other hubs, while UA's mainline is shrinking at many of its hubs.

strfyr51

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 38):
The RJ phenomenon really took over on the s-UA side when s-UA decided to retire all 100 B737-300's without having a plan in place to replace those aircraft. So without having any mainline aircraft on order s-UA had no other option but to turn to UAX carriers and RJ's to pick up the slack. If there had been some type of plan or replacement aircraft on order I don't think UA would have the number of RJ's in our fleet that we do now. Now the problem is UA is replacing s-UA's B757's and although UA will start taking delivery of the E175 those are replacing some of the smaller 50 seater RJ's. UA still to this date has done nothing to address the 100 aircraft that were sent to the desert and replaced with RJ's and until UA address this issues we will continue to see higher use of RJ's when compared to DL, and AA.

United retired those airplanes to Punch United ALPA in the mouth as they perceived them causing problems with Bogus Write-ups.
I was a Controller on the 737 desk and frankly? I have to agree with them.
Whatever the pilots were hacked about it showed on the 737 desk because they were refusing and grounding airplanes left right and center !!
By retiring those Guppy's (Early) they put 1400+ pilots on the street and honestly?
The problems stopped !! . So whether it was a good idea or a bad idea??
The company got what they wanted because nothing of the sort has happened since.
I didn't care for the tactic personally but I'll bet ALPA NEVER thought the comapny would retaliate like that..

ThePinnacleKid

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:35 pm

Thankfully... others do go to DRO... he can take newAmerican (as Eagle and US Airways Express both fly in there)... and service to DRO really is that bad on United... enough that it made newspapers.
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

jetblastdubai

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 93):
I didn't care for the tactic personally but I'll bet ALPA NEVER thought the comapny would retaliate like that.

Well, with an MEC Chairman like this, I can see how relations between ALPA and the company didn't go well.

The Shame Of The Friendly Skies (by Speedport Apr 14 2003 in Civil Aviation)
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

Goldenshield

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Quoting ThePinnacleKid (Reply 94):
Thankfully... others do go to DRO... he can take newAmerican (as Eagle and US Airways Express both fly in there)... and service to DRO really is that bad on United... enough that it made newspapers.

The problem lay more with Republic and the Q400 than UAX in general. It's been so bad that UA is scheduling jets back into DRO.

I'm going to go make some popcorn before a certain UA pilot finds this thread.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

UA444

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:02 pm

That doesn't make sense though, because I'm sure not all of those 1400 pilots were flying the 737s.

fanoftristars

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 92):
and while DL does have a better regional mix/product, most of the mainline is in ATL. Every other hub is just as rj heavy as other carriers.

But with Delta and others, you're more likely to get a two class product with wifi vs a 50 seat plane or a Q400. The proof is there, UA has far less two class jets, and no wifi (at least the UAX planes I've been on).

If you go in expecting poor customer service, you've already made up your mind and no matter what the airline does, you won't be satisfied.

Not necessarily. I used to dislike WN and would avoid them at all costs because of their boarding process and lack of first class or upgraded seats (I had made up my mind)... But I think most people would agree that their service stands out above the rest, and they treat their customers better than most. Had to fly them to DEN a few months ago. Great experience overall) Same with B6. I'm not a fan of the airline, but have to admit, I was impressed with their service last time I flew them. And UA has a terrible "express" area at DEN. How many flights go out of two gates? It's a joke that degrades the experience further. DL's T1 B gates and T2 E gates at SLC, while not perfect, are far better organized, have more waiting room seats per departure and again, employees that overall aren't still upset about an integration with NW (Unlike UA and CO employees who still have a ways to go before they're happy).
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos